University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to Boca!!! I can't believe it, I'm joining UM!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone.

I am so grateful for this. It really hasn't sunk in yet. I'm planning on going down to Boca after the new year to check out apartments before the July/August mad rush.

accepted to Miami Miller in Miami!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

We're going to be a force to be reckoned with next year.

We're going to be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Yeah like a big ass...wait whats the name of those storms that have a lot of force and wind and stuff...

Hey fellow canes, what plans do you have for the break?

Also, does Miami have a "Second Look" or some event where you can go to school and hang out with fellow canes before classes start?

Hey fellow canes, what plans do you have for the break?

Also, does Miami have a "Second Look" or some event where you can go to school and hang out with fellow canes before classes start?

Yes, South Beach! VIP Access to all clubs. LOL, wouldn't that be great. Although I have heard of such things...

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very much called for. You list your experience at Ryder Trauma Center---probably the best part of Jackson---then tell me you have preference over a campus you've never seen. Volunteering at Ryder is substantially different than working on one of the medical floors where conditions are much worse in regard to patient population and patient care.

I also wouldn't claim that UM prepares its students better for residency than elsewhere. I'm constantly impressed by the visiting externs here who are far more experience than those of us who get lost in the shuffle between the various residents and fellows. My experiences at other hospitals demonstrate that there are attendings that can teach better and give students better experiences.

Please be professional and do not antagonize prospective students. We are representing our school on a national network to which applicants all over the country refer.

Thanks.

Alexis MS2

Also, if anybody has any questions about the Social Medicine Pathway @ UM Miami Campus, feel free to message me. I heard there has been some curiosity at interviews.

Yes, South Beach! VIP Access to all clubs. LOL, wouldn't that be great. Although I have heard of such things...

heh heh heh.. don't want to spoil the surprise..

welcome!

any ideas when we should try to get an apartment by?

This thread has been getting lonely.

Anybody else planning on watching UF vs U. Michigan, but only modestly interested?

I never watch the gators if I can avoid it!

haha yea i cringe a little every time i see tebow play.

I still don't see why you had to say that I am a premed, implying that I am ignorant. That is the only thing I complained regarding your post. I am perfectly fine with you disagreeing with me regarding which school is better. That is what this thread is for. This thread is for both campuses. Anyway, forget it and lets move on.

I am glad you enjoy the Boca campus. The most important aspect about the medical school you choose is to find a school that makes you happy, because you will be there for four years. I absolutely agree that if you prefer a more intimate, small groups setting for learning medicine then the Boca Raton campus is the ideal place. In addition, they just opened up a residence up in Boca Raton. That place is just going to get bigger and better. For me personally, I prefer the curriculum and environment of the Miami campus/Jackson, and for that reason I mention that "my preference was the Miami campus."

Regarding the clinical experience, you are right, I haven't been up to Boca. I can only say how great Jackson is in terms of clinical experience and mention what the medical students/interns/residents here tell me about Jackson specifically. So I can't comment on the clinical experience up there. I insinuated that Jackson has superior clinical experience to Boca, and for that I apologize.
Seems like we had a disagreement here. I would like to add something as a cautionary measure for all those trying to decide between Boca and Miami. The majority of people at UM - main campus who comment on Boca know very little about it. I'm serious. I think that is where some of Deuist's frustration may have come from. I interviewed at both campuses last year and I am the only student who spoke to the curriculum Director of the Boca program for about 3 hours on the phone. I have friends at the Boca campus currently who tell me about their typical days/weeks all the time and I have talked to Dr. Markowitz and Dr. Lichtstein as well. I will not advocate one campus over the other, I think it's a see for yourself and gain your own knowledge and feeling it out kinda deal.

Just be careful about where you get your info from, because many of our 3rd+4th years down at Jackson really don't know much about the new Boca curriculum and may tell you wrong information. It is nobody's intent to tell you stuff that isn't true, but students here things from varied sources that may not be legitimate (ie: other students) and just kind of pass it along. Also, every student wants to promote their "own" school, so it often happens that we tend to say we are the better campus for whatever reasons even if we have no basis for comparison.

BTW, this next years class of 2012 at Boca is SUPPOSED to have 64 students, but please ask the school to confirm this.

If anyone has ANY questions, please PM me and I will send you a prompt response. If I don't know the answer to your inquiry, I will direct you to someone at the Boca campus.

Seems like we had a disagreement here. I would like to add something as a cautionary measure for all those trying to decide between Boca and Miami. The majority of people at UM - main campus who comment on Boca know very little about it. I'm serious. I think that is where some of Deuist's frustration may have come from. I interviewed at both campuses last year and I am the only student who spoke to the curriculum Director of the Boca program for about 3 hours on the phone. I have friends at the Boca campus currently who tell me about their typical days/weeks all the time and I have talked to Dr. Markowitz and Dr. Lichtstein as well. I will not advocate one campus over the other, I think it's a see for yourself and gain your own knowledge and feeling it out kinda deal.

Just be careful about where you get your info from, because many of our 3rd+4th years down at Jackson really don't know much about the new Boca curriculum and may tell you wrong information. It is nobody's intent to tell you stuff that isn't true, but students here things from varied sources that may not be legitimate (ie: other students) and just kind of pass it along. Also, every student wants to promote their "own" school, so it often happens that we tend to say we are the better campus for whatever reasons even if we have no basis for comparison.

BTW, this next years class of 2012 at Boca is SUPPOSED to have 64 students, but please ask the school to confirm this.

If anyone has ANY questions, please PM me and I will send you a prompt response. If I don't know the answer to your inquiry, I will direct you to someone at the Boca campus.

I think a lot of the misinformation about Boca comes from the fact that when the campuses were combined (my class being the last year) our friends at FAU always complain about how they get shafted and how they never go to class and just watch our lectures (because all the tests are/were written by UM faculty mostly).

Now that FAU's curriculum is completely separate and different I am sure that FAU is a great school in its own right. TBH if I were applying now I would seriously consider FAU because of the PBL dominant curriculum

When I interviewed there, both Dr. Rose and Agnes Santore told our group that they were going to increase the class to 64 students.

Why no love for the Gators? :(

Yeah, I think everybody knows that the extent of the Gator offense this year was: "Tebow runs the ball" or "Tebow passes it to Harvin"

Last year was entertaining, because Leak always left you hoping that he wouldn't screw up "this" pass as he did with about every third or fourth one.

Hi Alexis,

I'm from Chicago and I have an interview coming up on Jan. 28 in Miami and Jan. 29 at Boca Raton. I got a flight and rental car but I was wondering if UMiami has any hosting program for students? I would really like to stay with a student if possible.

-Connie

Yes we do. I'm not sure exactly who you go to but contact the admissions office and if that is a dead end check your inbox!

DWade

Is it really 64 students? I would be amazed but that is actually surprising to hear. I am interviewing on the 10th and I will want to find this out.

As well, someone makes mention of the extensive PBL that is different than the UM main campus. This is interesting and could someone elaborate on this. As the two schools of thought go, one is PBL isn't good until you have learned something first and then can take that knowledge and apply it to complicated cases and examples. However, I have heard of PBL where they throw you in right for the beginning. I don't think this would be as effective but I am mostly just trying to get the differences of the two schools and what might be more advantageous in your eyes. Thanks.

Is it really 64 students? I would be amazed but that is actually surprising to hear. I am interviewing on the 10th and I will want to find this out.

As well, someone makes mention of the extensive PBL that is different than the UM main campus. This is interesting and could someone elaborate on this. As the two schools of thought go, one is PBL isn't good until you have learned something first and then can take that knowledge and apply it to complicated cases and examples. However, I have heard of PBL where they throw you in right for the beginning. I don't think this would be as effective but I am mostly just trying to get the differences of the two schools and what might be more advantageous in your eyes. Thanks.

I don't think I am the best to answer this, but at the Boca campus, I think that it depends on the courses and semester that you are taking at the Boca campus. On the slide shown to us by Dr. Rose I believe it showed like three PBL sessions for one or two hours a day three days a week. I remember that they also incorporate your preceptorships into your schedule as well, but it seemed like most days started around 9am and some ended at 4-ish and others ended at 1pm. I totally forgot what they said about PBL at the Main campus. I know they have some PBL sessions though.

Hopefully Deuist or someone else way more knowledgeable will answer.

Hope you enjoy your interview day and Good Luck!!

I don't think I am the best to answer this, but at the Boca campus, I think that it depends on the courses and semester that you are taking at the Boca campus. On the slide shown to us by Dr. Rose I believe it showed like three PBL sessions for one or two hours a day three days a week. I remember that they also incorporate your preceptorships into your schedule as well, but it seemed like most days started around 9am and some ended at 4-ish and others ended at 1pm. I totally forgot what they said about PBL at the Main campus. I know they have some PBL sessions though.

Hopefully Deuist or someone else way more knowledgeable will answer.

Hope you enjoy your interview day and Good Luck!!

At the main campus PBL is only during the 2nd year. You have a Case-Based Learning section for 4 weeks of Infectious Disease and Rheumatology between Thanksgiving and Winter break. In the spring you have Problem-Based Learning only post Spring Break till the end of the 2nd year (about 5-6 weeks).

any current students have an opinion on Dominion Tower? also, what complexes are usually occupied by those who live off of brickell? thanks :thumbup:

any current students have an opinion on Dominion Tower? also, what complexes are usually occupied by those who live off of brickell? thanks :thumbup:

I think all Penthouses are great! With that said, let me give you a bit of advice. First ask yourself, "how rich are you?" If you're not that rich than Brickell and or SoBe might not be for you. Kendal and other western a bit areas are much cheaper but a whole lot more South American in feel and nature of community. Not a bad thing but just putting it into perspective for you. To me, SoBe seems like a waiste of money unless you're a model, lawyer or Doctor (yea but not yet haja) you don't REALLY have the money to be squashing wit da rich folk, unless of course your parents are a model, lawyer, Doctor (already,) businessowner or CRNA.

Now, like I said you can find some nice deals in Miami, consider a roommate as that is probably a much better way to go and get a feel for the city. Keep your cost's low, IMO, for the first year at least (even if you are rich) and that way when you learn about the city and what works for you, you can look there and get a place. How's that sound?

:laugh: Good luck and congrads... Hopefully I'll be joining you soon.

Is it really 64 students?

This is the first I've heard of it, too. Currently, there is only one classroom in the building that can fit 64 students. While there have been hopes of increasing the class size, space has always been a problem. I've heard that the medical school is renting out offices so that students can have more nerderies. Unfortunately, these nerderies will be down the road from the medical school. And who wants to have an office that requires a drive to get to?

I don't know what else I can add. It seems as if you've done quite a lot of research on PBL. Personally, I dislike PBL because, as you mentioned, we are too ignorant to know where to begin. Further, medical students are teaching other students. It's like the blind leading the blind! I don't like the idea of paying $30,000 a year to go to school were all I do is teach myself.

As another person mentioned, the UM main campus uses very little PBL. And even then, it's only during the second year. At the FAU campus, however, PBL is used throughout the basic sciences in both first and second year. While these two campuses are sharing the heading of the University of Miami, they are very different in both their approaches to learning, as well the general attitude toward students. Make sure you know what you want to get out of medical school before choosing one of these two campuses.

There are only two reasons to live in Dominion: it's cheap, and it is close to campus. Other than that, there are no other benefits.

haha thanks.. that's kind of the vibe i got as well :thumbup:

There are only two reasons to live in Dominion: it's cheap, and it is close to campus. Other than that, there are no other benefits.

What you don't like the rooftop pool and view? ;)

Nooo...my break is over. A week earlier than it should have been. (sigh)

My break just ended...it was good to get back to florida. It was just as cold as colorado...for like two days:cool:

When do we start this FAFSA stuff?

i was wondering that too.. i think the new one is up so ill most likely start filling it out this week. Im pretty sure Laura (financial aid lady) said fill it out as soon as you can in January, that way the financial aid office can come up with some kind of numbers for us. Any current students care to chime in on my cluelessness?

You are certainly welcome to begin the FAFSA right now, but realize that you need your tax information you submit the form. Therefore, most students will not begin the FAFSA until late February or mid-March at the earliest. You should certainly have the FAFSA submitted by the beginning of the summer.

Also, you may need to include your parents' tax information. Even though you will be considered a professional student and an independent through the eyes of the government, many medical schools (Miami included) went to see your parental information.

You are certainly welcome to begin the FAFSA right now, but realize that you need your tax information you submit the form. Therefore, most students will not begin the FAFSA until late February or mid-March at the earliest. You should certainly have the FAFSA submitted by the beginning of the summer.

Also, you may need to include your parents' tax information. Even though you will be considered a professional student and an independent through the eyes of the government, many medical schools (Miami included) went to see your parental information.

So we should file our taxes now...or can we use last years?

I am pretty clueless on how all this stuff works sorry....:confused:

anyone else ready to get to to Miami?

I am going to be honest. I was super impressed with University of Miami. I have interviewed at several schools and a few in Florida and I kid you not my feelings have brought me back thinking Miami is the place to be.

I am not criticising any other school in Florida but I thought another school would of had a much more impressive showing for what it was made out to be.

The strongest points on UM for me are this. The clinical focus is amazing. You really get the feeling that they are education future doctors here to immediately go out into the community and make an impact. For me it is a win win situation. I love people so getting access to them as soon as possible is exciting to me.

***An anatomy class that is stretched out over the year rather than in some block setting. From what I have honestly heard, the retention of anatomy is poor and part of the reason is the cram crash course style they give it to you in with other curriculums. (this is a boca aspect so I am not entirely sure if Main campus is the same.)

***integrative teaching. UM Board scores were on par with the best schools in the country let only Florida, WAY ABOVE AVERAGE! That includes both main campus and Boca Raton. Some of this was told to me by students is that instead of PhD's teaching everything they actually do have physician's teaching and utilize board style questions. Not that it is a focus but it is something that is more recognizable in the education process that will make studying and learning for the boards a little easier. Like I said they have the numbers to prove it.

***Academic societies... Hogwarts style. NICE! I actually like group interaction like this. What a great idea. It started with the main campus and is now even up at Boca Raton. Again, the students seem happy and pleased about being at UM. Having interactive group settings surely helps get to know one another.

***PBL! I was amazed but one other school hadn't even heard what this was. If you do not know what this is then I will describe it to you. Case based learning. It is where you are presented with a "case" i.e. problem in medicine or pathology and you have to work together with a group to solve the problem based on what you learned and can research. Present it and get graded on it. This style of PBL differs a bit from the main campus to Boca Raton so make sure you ask what the differences are so you can see what you might like more. More group stuff, cool!

***Research if ya want to. It isn't some false forced requirement at UM. Some schools give you the impression that they are big research schools and their ranking blah blah but in all honesty how does that translate to you? Are you MD/PhD? If not all the funding, research and development is probably being utilized by some other resource throughout the institution. We are here for medical school over the next 4 years this has to be our home. Getting poor grades or not getting the residency I want isn't going to make me a better physician. So to me, this put in perspective the whole ranking thing. What type of doctor do I want to be? Where do I see myself in 10 years? Can I get this accomplished from the school I will be attending? These are questions that should be answered about medical school education. Not "how highly are you ranked."

***Facilities. Boca Raton wins out in this aspect flat out. Everything is new new new. The nerderies are awesome. Your own cubby hole with your own LAPTOP. WOW. That is awesome. 24 hour access to academic building is something that could be useful too. UM's facilities were older but not decrepit like some schools I have visited. The lecture hall in UM Main is kinda cool too.

********Night life and life in general over the next four years. Let me tell you. You can not beat SoBe and UM Main wins in this category but UM Boca isn't far from Miami nor is Fort Lauderdale or even Delray Beach much of a concession. In fact Hard Rock in Hollywood is AWESOME and IMO better even than SoBe. There is rumors that the med students at UM Main have VIP access to clubs and what not in South Beach. LOL, hilarious. I have had friends that went to Law School at UM and I will tell you the night life in South Florida is rivaled by few if not none. The people are beautiful and the culture is deep. The beeches are just cherry on top of the cake.

Hopefully this will help you on your decisions but these were my assessments on my visit to the UM campuses.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL. I hope to get an acceptance SOON!

I am going to be honest. I was super impressed with University of Miami. I have interviewed at several schools and a few in Florida and I kid you not my feelings have brought me back thinking Miami is the place to be.

I am not criticising any other school in Florida but I thought another school would of had a much more impressive showing for what it was made out to be.

The strongest points on UM for me are this. The clinical focus is amazing. You really get the feeling that they are education future doctors here to immediately go out into the community and make an impact. For me it is a win win situation. I love people so getting access to them as soon as possible is exciting to me.

***An anatomy class that is stretched out over the year rather than in some block setting. From what I have honestly heard, the retention of anatomy is poor and part of the reason is the cram crash course style they give it to you in with other curriculums. (this is a boca aspect so I am not entirely sure if Main campus is the same.)

***integrative teaching. UM Board scores were on par with the best schools in the country let only Florida, WAY ABOVE AVERAGE! That includes both main campus and Boca Raton. Some of this was told to me by students is that instead of PhD's teaching everything they actually do have physician's teaching and utilize board style questions. Not that it is a focus but it is something that is more recognizable in the education process that will make studying and learning for the boards a little easier. Like I said they have the numbers to prove it.

***Academic societies... Hogwarts style. NICE! I actually like group interaction like this. What a great idea. It started with the main campus and is now even up at Boca Raton. Again, the students seem happy and pleased about being at UM. Having interactive group settings surely helps get to know one another.

***PBL! I was amazed but one other school hadn't even heard what this was. If you do not know what this is then I will describe it to you. Case based learning. It is where you are presented with a "case" i.e. problem in medicine or pathology and you have to work together with a group to solve the problem based on what you learned and can research. Present it and get graded on it. This style of PBL differs a bit from the main campus to Boca Raton so make sure you ask what the differences are so you can see what you might like more. More group stuff, cool!

***Research if ya want to. It isn't some false forced requirement at UM. Some schools give you the impression that they are big research schools and their ranking blah blah but in all honesty how does that translate to you? Are you MD/PhD? If not all the funding, research and development is probably being utilized by some other resource throughout the institution. We are here for medical school over the next 4 years this has to be our home. Getting poor grades or not getting the residency I want isn't going to make me a better physician. So to me, this put in perspective the whole ranking thing. What type of doctor do I want to be? Where do I see myself in 10 years? Can I get this accomplished from the school I will be attending? These are questions that should be answered about medical school education. Not "how highly are you ranked."

***Facilities. Boca Raton wins out in this aspect flat out. Everything is new new new. The nerderies are awesome. Your own cubby hole with your own LAPTOP. WOW. That is awesome. 24 hour access to academic building is something that could be useful too. UM's facilities were older but not decrepit like some schools I have visited. The lecture hall in UM Main is kinda cool too.

********Night life and life in general over the next four years. Let me tell you. You can not beat SoBe and UM Main wins in this category but UM Boca isn't far from Miami nor is Fort Lauderdale or even Delray Beach much of a concession. In fact Hard Rock in Hollywood is AWESOME and IMO better even than SoBe. There is rumors that the med students at UM Main have VIP access to clubs and what not in South Beach. LOL, hilarious. I have had friends that went to Law School at UM and I will tell you the night life in South Florida is rivaled by few if not none. The people are beautiful and the culture is deep. The beeches are just cherry on top of the cake.

Hopefully this will help you on your decisions but these were my assessments on my visit to the UM campuses.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL. I hope to get an acceptance SOON!

Can't wait...pretty much got the same assesmet. At first I was partial to Boca, but then I slept on it and I changed my mind. Miami was too amazing...plus I've lived in Palm Beach almost all my life. Team Zissou, where are you planning on living?