***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah when is it? For me, it would be like a 1st look weekend since I never even got a tour of the campus.
You know Brian...you can always call Hinkley and have him set up a personal tour for you. I doubt it would be a problem or an inconvenience to anyone :). It would also be very informative.

Members don't see this ad.

You know Brian...you can always call Hinkley and have him set up a personal tour for you. I doubt it would be a problem or an inconvenience to anyone :). It would also be very informative.
BUMP.

why are we on page 2?

Couple of unofficial tidbits which may or may not be true:

-The average MCAT of students UM accepted this year: 34
-The average GPA of students UM accepted this year: 3.8
How that makes me feel: unworthy and insignficant :eek:
:laugh:

and last but not least:

-first years will start the year with 6 weeks of anatomy

Members don't see this ad :)
and last but not least:

-first years will start the year with 6 weeks of anatomy

Is this a good thing? In the past you started off with Biochem, right? Maybe Miami is trying to ditch the rep of having a subpar basic sciences curriculumn. If so, I applaud then.

Accepted? yes. Matriculating? Not on your life.

yes, which is why I said accepted :)
It will be interesting to see where the matriculating average will be...I've heard hopes of 32ish.

Is this a good thing? In the past you started off with Biochem, right? Maybe Miami is trying to ditch the rep of having a subpar basic sciences curriculumn. If so, I applaud then.
um...that doesn't sound like a good idea at all. In fact it sounds like it might scare the crap out of people who did degrees in the arts... Oh well, sucks to your asmar :)

um...that doesn't sound like a good idea at all. In fact it sounds like it might scare the crap out of people who did degrees in the arts... Oh well, sucks to your asmar :)

Well I'm an engineer, so I figure I'm screwed either way.
If we start of with biochem I will look like this --->:eek:
Anatomy may be more like this --->:confused:

also, wtf is asmar?

I'm scared regardless of what we have to learn...god help us all...i just want to be a doctor already...

also, wtf is asmar?

From the story Lord of the Flies... Asmar is a slang term for Asthma. Piggy, the overweight pariah of the story, has acute asthma and is constantly in a state of despair because of it. The antagonist (whose name eludes me at the moment) is entirely unsympathetic to Piggy's condition and expresses is publicly by yelling "Sucks to your asmar!"

also, wtf is asmar?

From the story Lord of the Flies... Asmar is a slang term for Asthma. Piggy, the overweight pariah of the story, has acute asthma and is constantly in a state of despair because of it. The antagonist (whose name eludes me at the moment) is entirely unsympathetic to Piggy's condition and expresses is publicly by yelling "Sucks to your asmar!"

well said...your eloquent way of explaining this to our friend p9142 makes me want to be your classmate :)

I'm scared regardless of what we have to learn...god help us all...i just want to be a doctor already...

no worries guys, you are all going to do fine. at least you'll get all your anatomy out of the way early. i dont think it really matters whether you do it in october or august.

when i was a first year we had it spaced out in 3 blocks, with the first 2 in our first year and the last one in 2nd year. knocking it all out in the beginning makes sense. its going to make your future modules like neuro MUCH easier since you wont have to worry about all the neuroanatomy on top of all the phys, pharm and pathology.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know the deal with financial packets yet?

anyone know the deal with financial packets yet?

I think they went out a month or two ago. Call the financial aid office if you didn't get one yet. The financial aid office at UMiami is great.

well said...your eloquent way of explaining this to our friend p9142 makes me want to be your classmate :)

there are many reasons why one would want to be my classmate... ;)

there are many reasons why one would want to be my classmate... ;)

BTW the name of the antagonist is Jack, although I think there was a kid named Roger who was like the devil incarnate....

you guys will all be fine. Everyone overstudies for the first module anyway, so you are probably better off having anatomy (which is difficult) near the beginning. I remember how burnt out I was before thanksgiving break in anatomy...

I don't know how learning it all in 6 weeks is going work tho....and I wonder how it will affect the MS-2 TA program. How are we supposed to dedicate 4-5 afternoons each week to lab??

BTW the name of the antagonist is Jack, although I think there was a kid named Roger who was like the devil incarnate....

Oh yeah, Jack... Roger was Jack's toadie or something... and Simon was Jesus Christ, spending days meditating on the top of a mountain... Ralph was caught somewhere in the middle I suppose. Interesting fact, I was voted most likely to be Roger by my middle school English class and my best friend was voted Jack... :laugh:

I think they went out a month or two ago. Call the financial aid office if you didn't get one yet. The financial aid office at UMiami is great.

we're def talking about 2 different things. not that letter they sent us. but rather, post fafsa, what loans we are getting, yada, yada, yada....

we're def talking about 2 different things. not that letter they sent us. but rather, post fafsa, what loans we are getting, yada, yada, yada....

I just sent in my FAFSA at the beginning of March, and haven't gotten anything back yet.

I received the letter in early February... However, I was accepted early in October and will be attending the Boca campus... so... I might not be a prime candidate for comparison.

Sorry for posting this here but I knew you guys would know: What building and room number do I have to show up for the Miami Campus Interview? I never got any information for the Miami campus only the Boca via email. :confused:

Sorry for posting this here but I knew you guys would know: What building and room number do I have to show up for the Miami Campus Interview? I never got any information for the Miami campus only the Boca via email. :confused:

rosenstiel medical science building (RMSB), admissions office, 2nd floor, room 2015.

when you come into the building you'll pass by security, they'll point you to the elevators. from there anyone you pass on the 2nd floor will be able to show you where the admissions office is. good luck!

Nice to hear back from you all! I am definitely excited about Miami--it's a great school with a very diverse population and that's big to me, esp. being able to work with international/underserved pops. I'm also keen on the Health Equity and Social Medicine track they're starting up but when I interviewed there weren't many folks who could speak to that much, with the exception of Dean Hinkley, of course. Have any of you heard anything about it, particularly elective coursework during the basic science or clinical years?

As far as top choices, Miami is up there but I don't think I'll be certain where I'm going until the Spring. Being married, it takes a bit longer to figure out where you're going to transplant you and hubby to for the next 4 + years! :luck: to everyone!

Hey guys.

I'm an MS1 @ Miami and am procrastinating from studying neuro right now. Just happened to check out SDN for the first time since I was accepted and I'm glad I did because I actually have some info. to offer.

I was accepted in to the Pathway in Social Medicine/Health Equity last month. This is the first year they are doing it and it has been GREAT so far. This year there are 14 students in the pathway and we get to have small group sessions w/ fanastic speakers (next week is Ethan Nadelmann, THE guy for drug policy reform in the U.S.) who are brought in for the Jay Weiss Grand Rounds Series (which we also attend - go to JayWeissCenter.org - they created this pathway and there's specific info on the pathway on their website). Already we're starting social initiatives in the area. All the professors associated with the program are incredibly well-informed, articulate and approachable - true mentors.

I'm not sure we have extra elective coursework during our first two years, though we do have didactic sessions which I guess can be construed as coursework, but they're so engaging and refreshing after science science science that it's not really work. The pathway does require an international rotation and encourages international trips, of which there are many. I know I'm forgetting things, but a good person to email if you're genuinely interested is Maria Pieiga @ [email protected], the administrative assistant for the program.

Hope this helps!

Alexis

Hey guys, I just got waitlisted by my alma mater a couple days ago, therefore I'm pretty sure I'm joining you all in August! Seeing as I'm from Michigan I'm definitely interested in a second look as I have NO IDEA about the city of Miami or even Florida as a whole!! And I have no idea where to start looking for a place to live (although yes I've read all the previous posts in this thread). So excited for next year though!!!

Hey guys, I just got waitlisted by my alma mater a couple days ago, therefore I'm pretty sure I'm joining you all in August! Seeing as I'm from Michigan I'm definitely interested in a second look as I have NO IDEA about the city of Miami or even Florida as a whole!! And I have no idea where to start looking for a place to live (although yes I've read all the previous posts in this thread). So excited for next year though!!!

are you from michigan or do you go to michigan (or mybe both). I go to umich. vey psyched to be attending miami.

Yeah I graduated from Michigan in December, still living here in AA until I move for school. Are we the only ones from here going to Miami next year?

Hey guys

Just a reminder: All of you accepted to UM, join the University of Miami c/o 2011 group on facebook. Also, if any of you get accepted into the Medical Scholars Program, join that group on facebook also.

I was thinking that maybe we should all meet up and hang out sometime in the summer if you guys are interested...that way when school 1st starts, we'll already know each other and all the profs will be impressed lol....if anyone is interested just say when you'll be in miami and we can coordinate something.

I was accepted to UMMSM@FAU a while ago but I just got an acceptance to a school in a much more metropolitan area (Wash DC). What do you guys think about Boca for rotations? Isn't the Boca population too limited (eldery/wealthy/suburban) to get a well-rounded experience in years 3 and 4?

My gut feeling is to go to UM but the experience factor is making my decision tough!

I was accepted to UMMSM@FAU a while ago but I just got an acceptance to a school in a much more metropolitan area (Wash DC). What do you guys think about Boca for rotations? Isn't the Boca population too limited (eldery/wealthy/suburban) to get a well-rounded experience in years 3 and 4?

My gut feeling is to go to UM but the experience factor is making my decision tough!

well i think we all know the answer to that question if the majority of your time will be spent at walter reed, LOL.

just kidding though. id say that DC is probably a better place than boca. but if you get into the MIA campus, then id go there over DC.

well i think we all know the answer to that question if the majority of your time will be spent at walter reed, LOL.

just kidding though. id say that DC is probably a better place than boca. but if you get into the MIA campus, then id go there over DC.

yeah i totally agree. i dont know about the clinical experiences in boca but i can guarantee you that you'll see stuff at jackson as a 3rd and 4th year that you wont see anywhere else. i love this place! i just came off a month of trauma surgery and saw so many gun shots, stabs, assaults and even an arm amputation... it was crazy! going up to the helipad to bring down the patients is awesome. plus on rotations like internal medicine you'll have people come in with very advanced conditions since most dont have a primary care doc, ie coughing up blood for 3 weeks thinking it was pneumonia and ending up being metastatic renal cell cancer or something. no way a pt with a primary care doc waits 3 weeks to see a doc after coughing up a cup of blood a day.

I knows it VERY early but what pre-lim interests do you guys have as far as specialties are concerned? Being that my mom is a psychologist, I've always been drawn to psychiatry but neurology appears to have more clinical and medical relevance, plus I get the chance to be an endovascular surgical neuroradiologist one day :D I know we'll find out for sure what we want to do in a few years but I was just curious to see what you guys are interested in as of right now

yeah i totally agree. i dont know about the clinical experiences in boca but i can guarantee you that you'll see stuff at jackson as a 3rd and 4th year that you wont see anywhere else. i love this place! i just came off a month of trauma surgery and saw so many gun shots, stabs, assaults and even an arm amputation... it was crazy! going up to the helipad to bring down the patients is awesome. plus on rotations like internal medicine you'll have people come in with very advanced conditions since most dont have a primary care doc, ie coughing up blood for 3 weeks thinking it was pneumonia and ending up being metastatic renal cell cancer or something. no way a pt with a primary care doc waits 3 weeks to see a doc after coughing up a cup of blood a day.

when you did trauma surgery did you meet Dr. Pizano? He interviewed me. Such a nice guy. He really made me feel great about the school and living in Miami.

You do get the opportunity to rotate at Jackson while in Boca. It's actually encouraged. Dr. Zeke, please correct me if I'm wrong.

On a personal note, there's no way in hell I'd go to school in D.C. I lived there for awhile and absolutely hated it...and it wasn't just the crappy weather.

Anyone else see the web video of the ceremony?

LOL that was great. I can't wait for that day to come. Here's to hoping im the last one called! :D

Hey guys.

I'm an MS1 @ Miami and am procrastinating from studying neuro right now. Just happened to check out SDN for the first time since I was accepted and I'm glad I did because I actually have some info. to offer....

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for the info! I just stumbled across your response after not having been on this page for a few weeks, it sounds like the social medicine pathway is going well! So do you pair up with a mentor during your first year and design some kind of project/independent research? Are there many avenues available in terms of international outreach within Miami or any established international rotations? How often are the small groups? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but you're the first person I've met that's actually in the program right now! :)

Uh! I thought that we (your tour guides) did enough to dispel that myth. If you have questions about the rotations and patient populations, please contact Drs. Lichtstein or Markowitz. Either one of them can do a better job of telling you what to expect.

The short of it is that while Boca itself is pretty isolated, the medical school has four affiliated hospitals for students to rotate through. You'll get plenty of clinical exposure. And just remember, while Jackson has lots of pathology, you're asking for it if you think that the only way to get an education is at the gun and knife club.

I have three nagging questions:

1. When is orientation? I heard August 2nd and August 9th, but nothing official.

2. When will we get one of these: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MiamiMed2010/

3. Is anyone looking for a roommate?

I have three nagging questions:

1. When is orientation? I heard August 2nd and August 9th, but nothing official.

2. When will we get one of these: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MiamiMed2010/

3. Is anyone looking for a roommate?

Since we're not done interviewing yet, the answers to all of your questions are (1) wait (2) wait (3) see #2. In the coming months, you'll receive an email with all of the necessary information. For right now, make sure that your FAFSA is submitted and that you're up-to-date with your immunizations.

Since we're not done interviewing yet, the answers to all of your questions are (1) wait (2) wait (3) see #2. In the coming months, you'll receive an email with all of the necessary information. For right now, make sure that your FAFSA is submitted and that you're up-to-date with your immunizations.
Which immunizations do I need and can I get them done in my homeland?

hmmm...wow...pretty detailed... I guess I will visit my doctor in June. They better accept my doctor's stuff tho...

I think you need to have the first two cycles of the Hepatitis vaccine done before you matriculate. I'm not sure how long that takes.

I just added myself to the facebook group. I am too old for all this newfangled technology. I only have facebook to communicate with my family. I can't see people's profiles even though I joined the group, how to I fix it. Am I supposed to just spam everyone with friend requests or something?

hmmm...wow...pretty detailed... I guess I will visit my doctor in June. They better accept my doctor's stuff tho...

they will, you just hand in the form on orientation day to the nurses from employee health that come down to give people ppds and stuff. they wont hassle you at all, if your doc signed off on the form thats all you need.

they will, you just hand in the form on orientation day to the nurses from employee health that come down to give people ppds and stuff. they wont hassle you at all, if your doc signed off on the form thats all you need.
Even if it's from a doctor in Canada?

Even if it's from a doctor in Canada?

zeke, the nurses literally GLANCE at your form to see what boxes were checked and then file it away somewhere. literally, if you dont need the ppd or anything you hand it to them, they look at it for 2 seconds (not exaggerating) and put it in a stack with the other 160+. dont worry at all, if your doc signs off on it they will not give you any hassle at all as long as they see a signature down there.

zeke, the nurses literally GLANCE at your form to see what boxes were checked and then file it away somewhere. literally, if you dont need the ppd or anything you hand it to them, they look at it for 2 seconds (not exaggerating) and put it in a stack with the other 160+. dont worry at all, if your doc signs off on it they will not give you any hassle at all as long as they see a signature down there.
Ok, thank you. Sorry for being a nagging idiot, but sometimes Canadians are given a hard time because our doctors are "foreign" (WTF?!?) LOL