***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
brian, think about that. that dosnt make sense? until they know 100% who is coming, how would they know the avg mcat score. I have two friends, 1 wiht a 37 and the other with a 36, both of whom told MIA they were coming, and I know are going elsewhere, but have yet to withdraw from UM.

Members don't see this ad.

brian, think about that. that dosnt make sense? until they know 100% who is coming, how would they know the avg mcat score. I have two friends, 1 wiht a 37 and the other with a 36, both of whom told MIA they were coming, and I know are going elsewhere, but have yet to withdraw from UM.
Seriously. Also, people who aren't directly involved with the admissions decision making process - sometimes including your interviewer - are usually clueless to what really goes on :)

Just some advice. A lot of it is hearsay.

Ok Both of you have a pt. :oops:

On a side note, who else here is crushed about Dwyane Wade's injury? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok Both of you have a pt. :oops:

On a side note, who else here is crushed about Dwyane Wade's injury? :(

my shoulder really hurts....

but don't worry. I will forgo surgery and come back in six weeks. We will capture the 8th seed and a la the Knicks in 1999 crush our rivals (Pistons) in the first round en route to the championship.

BTW, I got your IM drzeke but I was AFK. When were you in the lounge?

my shoulder really hurts....

but don't worry. I will forgo surgery and come back in six weeks. We will capture the 8th seed and a la the Knicks in 1999 crush our rivals (Pistons) in the first round en route to the championship.

BTW, I got your IM drzeke but I was AFK. When were you in the lounge?
Hmmm...wow...days just blend into each other. I think it was last Tuesday or something. I stopped in. Tell me when you will be there and I shall try and migrate over if I can leave my lab.

Ok, I'm such a tool.

I'm SO excited to start med school!!! But, I'll bet a few months into it I'll be saying "why god, why?" or something to that effect.

Over on the premed forum, this site was posted: http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

Although the data seems a little old, I noticed that Miami has an inordinate number of lecture hours. I know the curriculumn has gone through some changes lately, and I was wondering how many hours you guys currently spend in lecture.

What do you mean by "inordinate?" According to that survey, other universities have similar numbers of lectures.

I'm an idiot. I was comparing Miami to a couple PBL schools.

Why do some current students complain about the basic science education in the first two years? How well do they prepare you to excel in the Step 1. Is it reflected in the average Step 1 scores?

During my interview lunch, the M4 student said the basic science curriculumn was weak at Miami. The other students all seemed to agree. There was also a current M1 on sdn a couple months ago that kept spamming Miami threads about how horrible the curriculumn is.

I don't think anyone chooses Miami because of the curriculumn. The major selling point is the clinical experience. Although Boca did seem to have an excellent system as evidenced by their 229 usmle average. I believe the average at the main campus is 217.

Hey everyone

I know this is probably late but I am interested in applying for the diversity scholarship. On UM's website, it says to submit a Fafsa and an online schoalrship form. Does anyone know when they are due?

I am in the 7 yr MSP and I am really clueless about the whole financial aid process. I was holding out hope to fill out the Fafsa in March during spring break but it might be too late. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks

Hey everyone

I know this is probably late but I am interested in applying for the diversity scholarship. On UM's website, it says to submit a Fafsa and an online schoalrship form. Does anyone know when they are due?

I am in the 7 yr MSP and I am really clueless about the whole financial aid process. I was holding out hope to fill out the Fafsa in March during spring break but it might be too late. Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks
There aren't really any deadlines for all that stuff at UM. That's one really good thing about the school :). However, it's always good to get stuff in early. You can submit the scholarship form for diversity and then your FAFSA, but there is no due date. I don't think that is too late at all. Also, call and speak to Laura Kaspersi (I forget her exact last name) she is really awesome and can give you all the info you need. Don't be shy to ask the people in fin aid, they are there for you even if you haven't started yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
There aren't really any deadlines for all that stuff at UM. That's one really good thing about the school :). However, it's always good to get stuff in early. You can submit the scholarship form for diversity and then your FAFSA, but there is no due date. I don't think that is too late at all. Also, call and speak to Laura Kaspersi (I forget her exact last name) she is really awesome and can give you all the info you need. Don't be shy to ask the people in fin aid, they are there for you even if you haven't started yet.
Bump.

I love the wellness centre.

http://www.med.miami.edu/news/view.asp?id=737

I wonder if this will affect us, or if it is for next years class. I especially like this part: The North Dade Medical Foundation grant will allow the school to supplement, not replace, the current numbers and amounts of scholarships for M.D. degree students and will make a tremendous impact not only on the students, but on the medical school as well.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.med.miami.edu/news/view.asp?id=737

I wonder if this will affect us, or if it is for next years class. I especially like this part: The North Dade Medical Foundation grant will allow the school to supplement, not replace, the current numbers and amounts of scholarships for M.D. degree students and will make a tremendous impact not only on the students, but on the medical school as well.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sweet! :)

p9142, I've always wanted to know, what are you currently doing? Research, school, or work?

Sweet! :)

p9142, I've always wanted to know, what are you currently doing? Research, school, or work?

work/research/Trying not to waste all my time on SDN.:eek:

work/research/Trying not to waste all my time on SDN.:eek:
Yeah...I guess we are kinda in the same place. I can't wait to go back to school.

Anyone else a bit bored at work? ;)

Speaking of UMiami...today I'm working in my lab, tonight I'm running by the Boca campus on my way to dinner with my grandfather. I swear, I'm constantly running all over South Florida. Does anyone else ever feel that way?

Oh yeah and to everyone here CONGRATULATIONS and so that newcomers will know this thread exists:

BUMP

Well, I'm not working, but I'm a bit bored w/ my school work. I'm finishing up my psych major and its honestly ridiculously easy. I hardly ever study anymore!

I'm afraid I'll be in for a rude awakening in med school...I'm def going to have to sharpen up when the time comes...from what I hear, group study is essential in med school, so I guess I'll be seeing a lot of you in the near future

When are they going to set up the website for incoming freshman? I heard last yr they did it in Feb and that site is still up. Im bored and want to fill out paperwork, hear about financial aid, do stuff that other students seem to be doing at other schools.

Dr. zeke, I knew we could count on you to bump this thread and get it going again.

Has anyone else thought about doing an informal second look weekend? The second look weekends are really important because they let you see more than what you saw during your interview, plus they give you an idea of what your prospective classmates are like. I am considering going to Miami for a weekend to check it out again, and was wondering if there was any interest here on the SDN board.

Has anyone else thought about doing an informal second look weekend? The second look weekends are really important because they let you see more than what you saw during your interview, plus they give you an idea of what your prospective classmates are like. I am considering going to Miami for a weekend to check it out again, and was wondering if there was any interest here on the SDN board.
I'll be your unofficial tour guide. Now that I work on campus I just walk around in awe of the amazing research powerhouse :) I would be interested in participating in something, even though I have no reason to do a second look. If anything I'd just want to meet some people who are potentially going to be classmates.

OK, we have a tour guide! If anyone else is interested please respond to this post. I probably won't plan on going unless we get a decent number of others who will be going. I was thinking around the middle of April, but could go whenever.

/p

I can't really make a commitment but you can put me on the list of those interested in a 2nd look weekend

The only problem is that I never got a tour of the campus as I am in the 7 yr program. I guess this would be more like a 1st look weekend.

OK, so now we have three people. I think I would like to look around campus again, but mainly I want to hang out with the prospective incoming class.

ill consider going for a second look. i pretty much know im going to MIA< but would still like to come down and poke my head around.

as for the website for incoming class. i called last week. they said they are "working on it" w/e that is suppose to mena.

When are they going to set up the website for incoming freshman? I heard last yr they did it in Feb and that site is still up. Im bored and want to fill out paperwork, hear about financial aid, do stuff that other students seem to be doing at other schools.

Dr. zeke, I knew we could count on you to bump this thread and get it going again.
Merci Merci :)

I have to do my FAFSA...I'm a lazy sack...totally not true, but I have to prioritize!!!

Well, I'm not working, but I'm a bit bored w/ my school work. I'm finishing up my psych major and its honestly ridiculously easy. I hardly ever study anymore!

I'm afraid I'll be in for a rude awakening in med school...I'm def going to have to sharpen up when the time comes...from what I hear, group study is essential in med school, so I guess I'll be seeing a lot of you in the near future
I thought it was quite the opposite...independent study is essential :)

I'm going to the Boca campus but I'd like to look around the miami campus so I guess you can count me in :)

Hey,

Does anyone know for sure when fall classes start? I heard a rumor that they start August 1st but dont know if this is true

Thanks!

Hey,

Does anyone know for sure when fall classes start? I heard a rumor that they start August 1st but dont know if this is true

Thanks!
I think the 4th or 6th?

anyone else think it might be kind of awkward when classes begin and we introduce each other as "BrianUM" or "Dr. Zeke" lol...i have a feeling its going to be a very long 4 years :laugh:

anyone else think it might be kind of awkward when classes begin and we introduce each other as "BrianUM" or "Dr. Zeke" lol...i have a feeling its going to be a very long 4 years :laugh:
LOL...I'm not planning on introducing myself :)! That would ruin all the fun. You guys can just know and for those who don't know, then you won't know.

well for those of us with REAL avitars (*cough* Zeke) we might recognize one another..

my name is Davy hence the dasacohen Just your regular california kid who wasn't getting too much love from my own state but miami loves me (yey!)

on a side note, do you guys know if the quoted 217 USMLE step 1 is an accurate number?

well for those of us with REAL avitars (*cough* Zeke) we might recognize one another..

my name is Davy hence the dasacohen (david samuel cohen) Just your regular california kid who wasn't getting too much love from my own state but miami loves me (yey!)

on a side note, do you guys know if the quoted 217 USMLE step 1 is an accurate number?
I wouldn't be surprised if the 217 is accurate. People have been mentioning all along that the basic sciences curriculum at UM - main campus tends to be a do it yourself kind of thing. Some people don't strive in that type of environment, even if they think that they will. Also, I do remember Hinkley saying this number at my interview date. Go to USC you psycho!! You are a California resident :). How about UCSD or UCSF...they show you any love yet?

Go to USC you psycho!! You are a California resident :). How about UCSD or UCSF...they show you any love yet?

lol even though I've gotten into USC it is 40k a year! (also I'd have to be a trojan...though I am a golden bear and we are almost just as bad.) There are other pro's and con's about why I could eventually chose Miami over USC (if you'd all like to start a debate I'm totally down, since it might help my decision!) Essentially the two are quite similar. Both are clinically focused (which is what I'd like to be...a clinician over anything else) and both have great locations and hospitals. Miami would be a fun departure from California, but LA would have the comfort of home (including grandma who is getting older...) Tough call I guess.

As for other california schools, I've been on hold at UCSD since August, and I have my UCLA interview this Friday (eek!). UCSF never sent me a secondary: they are way too pretentious to invite little old me to anything. I'm also sick of the bay area rain, though the culture and lifestyle is refreshing from LA's superficiality. Looks like it's either UCLA (if they like me), USC, Miami, or Jefferson for me...

Has anybody else noticed that Miami is getting some heavy hitters to come teach and research at Jackson? It seems like every time I go to http://med.miami.edu/ they are announcing someone new.:thumbup:
It's pretty crazy. Going only by the names that I could find in the news, if you add the PIs' NIH grant totals to ours, it looks like at least a 30% increase in total NIH funding in less than one year of recruiting by Goldschmidt.

I go to Univ of Michigan and I work in a breast cancer lab. Dr. Lipman is the man around here. Seriously, the whole UM Cancer Center is freaking out that he is leaving. I on the other hand, am totally STOKED that he is going to Miami. I feel like going to Miami we are going to be apart of a school that will go through enormous growth and change while we are there. Very exciting.
You wouldn't happen to know the names of any of the PIs at the cancer center who will be coming here, would you? I'd like to add their $$ to my running estimate. :cool:

Over on the premed forum, this site was posted: http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

Although the data seems a little old, I noticed that Miami has an inordinate number of lecture hours. I know the curriculumn has gone through some changes lately, and I was wondering how many hours you guys currently spend in lecture.
All throughout medical school, I don't think I've ever had a week where I've had 27 hours of lecture.

Looking at the schedule, the sophomores have 11 hours of lecture this week and the freshmen have 14.

You can count me in for the second look weekend with you guys.

This one is for all of the students at the Boca campus. I'll be an M1 at Boca this fall and was wondering what is the best option for locating housing. I was contemplating seeking the help of a realtor. Is this a good idea? I want to live as close to the ocean as possible without having to sell drugs on the weekends in order to pay my rent. Also, are there any good apartments or condos that are recommended? Thanks for the help.

heh, im a little late to the party. when is the second look weekend going to be? (for the main campus)

Hey there...

well I guess I'm prob the baby in this thread as I am 21 now but plan on entering 1st yr at 21. I'm in the 7 yr MSP program at UM and have always lived in Miami. Def love it here, and I am excited about med school and meeting all of you!

you aren't the baby :)

Look to rent from a condo owner. They usually have real estate agents handling their stuff. That's how I found my place in North Miami Beach. I will probably do the same when looking for someone to live for med school Boca or Miami.

Also...I think I saw Dean Goldschmidt at the gym today running on the treadmill :)

hey guys... look forward to meeting you all this fall.
does anyone know when classes start?

i think in earlier posts they said august 1st or 4th. somewhere around there :)

i think in earlier posts they said august 1st or 4th. somewhere around there :)

ah I've heard August 1st, 4th, 5-6...what is it??!! :laugh:

It doesnt really matter since in the end we are all going to be doctors :thumbup:

when's the second look for the miami campus?

Yeah when is it? For me, it would be like a 1st look weekend since I never even got a tour of the campus.