***University of Miami Class of 2011!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the Spanish spoken in Miami significantly different than the Mexican Spanish we are taught in high school? It was described to me as being similar to Northern US vs Southern US dialect. I hope it won't be hard to pick up.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the Spanish spoken in Miami significantly different than the Mexican Spanish we are taught in high school? It was described to me as being similar to Northern US vs Southern US dialect. I hope it won't be hard to pick up.
I just know we have a lot of Cubans and apparently their spanish is not pretty to the ears of many other South Americans...

Before any cubans flame me, please know that I don't understand spanish that well, I'm just telling you what I've been told.

I just know we have a lot of Cubans and apparently their spanish is not pretty to the ears of many other South Americans...

Before any cubans flame me, please know that I don't understand spanish that well, I'm just telling you what I've been told.

Well that sounds about like what I was told before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I've been checking out this thread for a while now...just wanted to say hello to everyone and that I've been accepted to the main campus, so I just might be seeing many of you in a few months! I go to UM undergrad now (psych major) and if I end up deciding to stay here, I will be living in a condo and looking for some roomies, just in case anyone's interested. :D GO CANES!

im curious about your condo. where is it? what is the rent. Im looking for a place to live. Im so overwhelmed, I dont even know where to start looking. I want to spend as little as possible, but not live in a hood :).

im curious about your condo. where is it? what is the rent. Im looking for a place to live. Im so overwhelmed, I dont even know where to start looking. I want to spend as little as possible, but not live in a hood :).
Little as possible = STUDIO or MANY ROOMATES :) Welcome to the MIA.

Hehe, very true DrZeke. My way of solving that issue is to look for some roommates if I do choose to stay at the main campus (which is looking more and more probable each day...LOL). So here's the deal on the condo:
It's a newly-renovated 3/2 in the Kendall area (on Kendall and 107th Ave, to be exact). Kendall is a pretty nice area to live in because it's fairly affordable and there are lots of stores and supermarkets around. From the condo it is a short drive down to the metrorail station (where you can park and catch the rail downtown to school, like many other students do.)
I would be looking for 2 female roommates to live in the second two bedrooms and share the new second bathroom. There is a brand new eat-in kitchen, a decent-sized family room, a screened-in porch facing the pool area, and 24-hour gated security (as well as free parking.) There are also washers and dryers located in the building, and a clubhouse with some pool tables.
The rent would be including water and electricity. I know school doesn't start for a while yet, but I'm just throwing this offer out there in case anyone is interested. If you are, go ahead and PM me. =)

Little as possible = STUDIO or MANY ROOMATES :) Welcome to the MIA.

Correction:
Little as possible = STUDIO with MANY ROOMATES. I think 6 roommates should do it. ;)

I'm a little surprised that Miami didn't move up at all in the rankings. I would think that with all the new faculty and NIH dollars coming in, Miami would start crawling up the rankings. Oh well, rankings don't really matter anyways.

I'm a little surprised that Miami didn't move up at all in the rankings. I would think that with all the new faculty and NIH dollars coming in, Miami would start crawling up the rankings. Oh well, rankings don't really matter anyways.
I'm not. I've actually been telling the starry-eyed masses for awhile that UM won't move up at all in the new rankings. The effects of the research going on now won't show up at all in US News until next year's issue.

The research component for the new rankings that are coming out this week will be the average of NIH awards to med schools from FY 05 and FY 06.

Problem is, the awards from the NIH for the new research (by the new recruits, in the new facilities, etc.) didn't start being classified as UM awards until FY 07 (this year).

Thus, I'm absolutely positive that there will be a large jump in next year's ranking, and an even bigger, behemoth-sized jump the following year, when FY 07 and FY 08 awards will comprise the total research activity component.

Since I'm not a fortune teller, I can't tell you how much cheaper a condo is going to be four years from now, what the average step 1 score will be, or how much tuition will cost. The only thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is that UM will be the highest ranked med school in the state.

The only thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is that UM will be the highest ranked med school in the state.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Boris, I really like Florida and am thinking about trying to stay there for residency. In your experience, did the UMiami name carry alot of weight when applying for in-state residencies, or are all the Florida schools considered equal?

I got a quick question from current med students. Is there a list of supplies that we need to purchase before school starts?

I currently have:

Cardiology III stethoscope
Reflex Hammer
Pen Light

I think I need:

Tunning fork
Diagnostic Kit

Does Miami give you a list of what's needed or can you tell me what else I need to purchase. I am buying things now that I still have an income and save the loan money for rent.
Thanks

Miami will not only give you a list, but a rep from Welch-Allyn will be on campus to sell you merchandise at a discounted price. Your list is complete except for a blood pressure cuff. I don't like how medical schools tell students that they need all of this medical equipment when you rarely use any of it. All you really need is a stethoscope. You'll get pen lights and reflex hammers for free from drug reps. The rest of the stuff---the such as the diagnostic kit---can be borrowed from someone else when needed.

Miami will not only give you a list, but a rep from Welch-Allyn will be on campus to sell you merchandise at a discounted price. Your list is complete except for a blood pressure cuff. I don't like how medical schools tell students that they need all of this medical equipment when you rarely use any of it. All you really need is a stethoscope. You'll get pen lights and reflex hammers for free from drug reps. The rest of the stuff---the such as the diagnostic kit---can be borrowed from someone else when needed.

That's too funny, because that's exactly where I got my penlight and reflex hammers from. My friend is a Coreg rep. Deuist, do you recommend a specific diagnostic kit? I am not very familiar with them. I used the kit when I did Advanced Physical Assessment course in nursing, at a doctor's office but it's been a while and I honestly cannot remember their brand. I had to buy it in nursing but since my preceptor (family doc) let me borrow his I never got around to buying them. I see that there are several types on Ebay and with varying prices.
Thanks

Oh, forgot, I do have a manual BP since first day of nursing. What a huge waste of money that was. I used it maybe twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on getting one of those $60 kits on ebay that has the oto/optho scope. From what I've heard on SDN, the only item that you should not skimp on is the stethoscope.

I didn't know that ophthalmoscope sets were so cheap on eBay. I just did a quick search and found one selling (not bidding) for $54. Mine cost the Air Force several hundred dollars. It was such a waste of money. I've used it only twice. The worst are the students who spend over $1000 buying the pan-optic scopes because they can see everything! Yes, you can see everything (!) with a pan-optic scope, but if you don't know how to interpret it, your purchase is going to go to a useless cause.

The stethoscope is the one thing that you absolutely need. While the most popular is the Littman Cardio III, I (along with a few posters) think that the Welch-Allyn Harvey Elite is far superior in sound quality. Again, there will be a few people who will purchase the $500 electronic stethoscope with digital sound amplification and MP3 recording with a USB-to-PC connection. Stay away from those people.

You can get lots of immunizations for cheap at the health department. That's where I got my PPD before I started school. As an aside, you will need health insurance to start classes at UMiami. The university has a contract with MegaLife to provide ultra cheap insurance for students, but be aware that no fringes come with this plan.

I just watched this: http://rm.mededu.miami.edu:8080/ram...TUDENT_ACTIVITIES/070307_student_gov_elecs.rm

The last speaker mentioned that she was running on a platform of changing from MegaLife. I hope she won.:thumbup:

Does any know the dress code at MIami Miller COM for men?

1. Jeans not permitted?

2. Just shirt and pants - or a tie is necessary?

3. Are the requirements same all 4 years?

Thanks.

the dress code went into effect when i became a 2nd year (fall 2005), i dont know if the deans grandfathered out my class from the policy or not but i went to class everyday 2nd year dressed in jeans, a tshirt and sneakers and i never had any problems.

i dont really see the current 1st and 2nd years dressed much differently than that to tell you the truth but the school might actually be writing some of them up for it, i dont know. i do know that the reason they instituted the dress code was because a few of the girls in the 1st and 2nd year classes were coming to school in clothes that looked like they were going to go out clubbing... ie ultra mini skirts and bare midriff tanks.

in years 3 and 4 the dress code is dependant on your rotation. ie on surgery you wear scrubs everyday, you HAVE to for the OR and clinic. on other rotations like internal medicine you might only wear scrubs on your on call or post call days and then a dress shirt, tie, and slacks (ie "professional dress") the other days. on family medicine you wear professional dress every day for 6 weeks, same for psych. so it really depends in years 3 and 4 on what you are doing but you will definitely dress up more then.

in years 1 and 2 you really only go with "professional dress" on days where you will see patients in the hospital with your society or at your preceptors office. otherwise, most students in the 1st 2 years are dressed in jeans and tshirts if they are just going to lecture. if they do dress up for class they definitely dont wear ties. the official dress code for class is "professional casual" but like i said, i dont really see people adhering to this in the first couple of years. everyone dresses up when they know they are going to go see patients though, thats a given. i heard the dress code is more of an issue for the boca campus students since its such a small group, that may just be a rumor but maybe one of the current ummsm@fau students can answer that for you.

For to the students who go on the Medical Students in Action trips, how do you handle the week of missed classes? I saw that MSA will be returning on its annual medical mission to the Dominican Republic on March 17 - 25, 2007, so I was just wondering if those students were excused from class or if they had to attend online or something.

For to the students who go on the Medical Students in Action trips, how do you handle the week of missed classes? I saw that MSA will be returning on its annual medical mission to the Dominican Republic on March 17 - 25, 2007, so I was just wondering if those students were excused from class or if they had to attend online or something.

That can't be right because they left yesterday morning (first Saturday of spring break).

They don't miss any school.

Anyways most weeks (unless you have small group sessions) you really don't have to be in class. I took a week off in the fall to go out of town and I was fine.

I didn't know that ophthalmoscope sets were so cheap on eBay. I just did a quick search and found one selling (not bidding) for $54. Mine cost the Air Force several hundred dollars. It was such a waste of money. I've used it only twice. The worst are the students who spend over $1000 buying the pan-optic scopes because they can see everything! Yes, you can see everything (!) with a pan-optic scope, but if you don't know how to interpret it, your purchase is going to go to a useless cause.

The stethoscope is the one thing that you absolutely need. While the most popular is the Littman Cardio III, I (along with a few posters) think that the Welch-Allyn Harvey Elite is far superior in sound quality. Again, there will be a few people who will purchase the $500 electronic stethoscope with digital sound amplification and MP3 recording with a USB-to-PC connection. Stay away from those people.

I ended up purchasing the Pockescope Set for $133 + $8 shipping. It looks great and I spoke with several students at the hospital who said that Pocketscope is all I need. Anybody else has any experience with the Pocketscope set.
Thanks

Does anyone know the dress code at MIami Miller COM for men?

1. Jeans not permitted?

2. Just shirt and pants - or a tie is necessary?

3. Are the requirements the same for all 4 years?

Thanks.

are you kidding me? a dress code???? :eek: :eek:

this was no where in the brochure!!!

i hope this doesnt apply for just attending lectures. words cannot describe how much i despise wearing a button up and pants.

Is anyone here attending the Boca Campus and planning to run for a student government position?

Is anyone here attending the Boca Campus and planning to run for a student government position?

Yea, I am running for governor. I am running on a platform to improve the health and fitness of the students. There will be no chairs to sit in the classrooms but exercise balls to train the midsection. I plan on having every student come in one hour early and exercise in the parking lot for one hour. Those that come in late will be running ten laps around the Smidt building while the others point their fingers and laugh at them. Furthermore, for those who miss class altogether as punishment they will be forced to run the wheel like squarrels to provide electricity without emissions. This way we improve the health of the students, get some good laughs along the way and create a green building.
Hahaha, just kidding, it would be funny though.

Yea, I am running for governor. I am running on a platform to improve the health and fitness of the students. There will be no chairs to sit in the classrooms but exercise balls to train the midsection. I plan on having every student come in one hour early and exercise in the parking lot for one hour. Those that come in late will be running ten laps around the Smidt building while the others point their fingers and laugh at them. Furthermore, for those who miss class altogether as punishment they will be forced to run the wheel like squarrels to provide electricity without emissions. This way we improve the health of the students, get some good laughs along the way and create a green building.
Hahaha, just kidding, it would be funny though.

Regardless, I will beat you down, repeatedly:smuggrin:

onmywayRN... have you decided on a school yet?

Regardless, I will beat you down, repeatedly:smuggrin:

Typical politician with threats of victory but no real vision for the people. I, at least offered concrete steps to better health and enviroment. Oh I forgot, I also intend to lower taxes.

Hey Filibuster, if you saw Talladega nights you will get this. Your new nickname is "El Diablo". Comes from spanish which means fighting chicken, like the one in your avatar.

Does anyone know the chance to get off the waitlist at U of Miami for an out of state student?

Not sure but keep showing continued interest with a LOI and a new Rec letter if you can as well as any accomplishments acquired since your decision.

So when is our unofficial second look weekend going to be guys? Anytime but the weekend of the 26-29 is good for me.

how many hours of lecture do students in miami main campus usually have?

I was accepted to UofM @ FAU in November. Does anyone know when we get our forms in which we make our $100 deposit. I have friends at other schools who have already submitted thatand gotten their med school email addresses. Thanx.

I was accepted to UofM @ FAU in November. Does anyone know when we get our forms in which we make our $100 deposit. I have friends at other schools who have already submitted thatand gotten their med school email addresses. Thanx.

Good Q. They'll probably send out info after May 15th or whenever people with multiple acceptances have to choose one school. That's my guess. I haven't heard anything about turning in the deposit before then.

What is everyone's status in getting a place to live? I'm just trying to guage where I'm at compared to everyone else with finding a place to live. Does anyone know how hard it will be to find a place in the next couple of months? It seems like it might be getting a little late...but I'm not sure.

You're not late at all. Many of the matriculating students will begin looking for places to live once the summer begins. I didn't get my apartment until June, and I remember others who waited until later to get theirs. UM should start a website soon enough with roommate searches in case you're looking for a roommate---although from the posts on this thread, I think that SDN would also be a good place to look for someone to live with. I know that not knowing where you'll live next year can be anxiety-provoking, but believe me wen I say that you'll be okay.

If nothing else, you can email Hinkley after May 15 and he'll forward the message to other accepted students that you're looking for a roommate. That's how I found mine.

Hehe, very true DrZeke. My way of solving that issue is to look for some roommates if I do choose to stay at the main campus (which is looking more and more probable each day...LOL). So here's the deal on the condo:
It's a newly-renovated 3/2 in the Kendall area (on Kendall and 107th Ave, to be exact). Kendall is a pretty nice area to live in because it's fairly affordable and there are lots of stores and supermarkets around. From the condo it is a short drive down to the metrorail station (where you can park and catch the rail downtown to school, like many other students do.)
I would be looking for 2 female roommates to live in the second two bedrooms and share the new second bathroom. There is a brand new eat-in kitchen, a decent-sized family room, a screened-in porch facing the pool area, and 24-hour gated security (as well as free parking.) There are also washers and dryers located in the building, and a clubhouse with some pool tables.
The rent would be including water and electricity. I know school doesn't start for a while yet, but I'm just throwing this offer out there in case anyone is interested. If you are, go ahead and PM me. =)

Just so you know Kendall is a bit far from the medical school and the morning commute will probably be about 45 min (the metrorail ride itself is 30 minutes from the UM undergrad campus).

I believe many students try to find housing in Brickell since the commute is shorter. The prices are higher, however.

Yes, I know that the commute is a little longer than for some of the other areas of Miami that are closer to the med school...but I'm gonna make it work in order to save some money and still be able to live in a really nice place. I'm hoping there are possible roommates who feel the same! :)

p.s. Just in case anyone's still interested, it looks like I might be looking for only one roommate who would have one of the other bedrooms and the 2nd, brand-new bathroom to themselves...seems to be a more desirable situation...more details to come later!

Hey all,

How extensive is the metrorail system in Miami, i.e. is it feasible to live somewhere close enough to walk/ride most of the time?

Also, any ideas on housing that would minimize a communte (i.e. less than 30 min, ideally) without being in a sketchy part of town or exhorbitantly expensive? I'm married, so if we could buy a place that would be kewl, but I don't know how feasible that is (i.e. I think it's feasible further out but I don't want to suffer traffic that much).

When does school start? By looking at past academic calendars I thinking August 6th is the first day of school with orientation on the 2nd and 3rd. Can anyone confirm that?

Also when are they going to put up the website for incoming students?

Hey all,

How extensive is the metrorail system in Miami, i.e. is it feasible to live somewhere close enough to walk/ride most of the time?

Also, any ideas on housing that would minimize a communte (i.e. less than 30 min, ideally) without being in a sketchy part of town or exhorbitantly expensive? I'm married, so if we could buy a place that would be kewl, but I don't know how feasible that is (i.e. I think it's feasible further out but I don't want to suffer traffic that much).

Hey Pirata,

I live in Coral Gables near the UM undergrad campus and commute all the tiem to Jackson via the Metrorail. The ride itself takes about 20 minutes or so but to be safe I would recommend being at the station 30 minutes ahead because the train comes every now and then. I think it is very feasbile to go to school via the metro rail. Look into perhaps getting a metro pass. An ideal place to live when going to med school at UM may be Brickell (nice but expensive, no need for metro use although there is a station there), Miami Beach, Dominion Towers and anywhere near a metro station such as Coral Gables (VERY expensive but VERY nice). If you have the money and want to live in a peaceful area w/ quick access to metro rail, Gables is a good bet. If not, I would recommend something relatively inexpensive near campus. Hope this helps!

Thanks Brian, that helps a lot

Another note

The official 2007 web page for entering medical students at UMiami is now up:

http://www.mededu.miami.edu/Admissions

As it turns out, orientation is from August 9 to August 11 and classes begin August 13

Yay, this means more time for vacation :D

See you all in school!

It's official....I will DEFINITELY be attending [email protected] got my rejection letter from UF and withdrew from the USF waitlist today.

UM's where it's at guys! :banana: :biglove: :lol: :hello: (sorry, I just noticed the super duper smilies)

I'm not. I've actually been telling the starry-eyed masses for awhile that UM won't move up at all in the new rankings. The effects of the research going on now won't show up at all in US News until next year's issue.

The research component for the new rankings that are coming out this week will be the average of NIH awards to med schools from FY 05 and FY 06.

Problem is, the awards from the NIH for the new research (by the new recruits, in the new facilities, etc.) didn't start being classified as UM awards until FY 07 (this year).

Thus, I'm absolutely positive that there will be a large jump in next year's ranking, and an even bigger, behemoth-sized jump the following year, when FY 07 and FY 08 awards will comprise the total research activity component.

Since I'm not a fortune teller, I can't tell you how much cheaper a condo is going to be four years from now, what the average step 1 score will be, or how much tuition will cost. The only thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is that UM will be the highest ranked med school in the state.

Boris, Miami is ranked no. 56 by US News & World Report earlier this month. What is your guess as to how high its rank will jump next year (2008) and the year after (2009)? You think maybe top 50?