University of Maryland Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tried requesting to join the facebook group days ago...and still haven't get accepted........is this the case for any of you?:)

Members don't see this ad.

I tried requesting to join the facebook group days ago...and still haven't get accepted........is this the case for any of you?:)

This happened to my friend. Make sure you are using your real name and not a nickname.

Members don't see this ad :)
I requested a couple of days ago too and havent been accepted yet :(

Me too. The only thing I can think of is that they are waiting for your deposit to be in hand before allowing you to join???

Me too. The only thing I can think of is that they are waiting for your deposit to be in hand before allowing you to join???

Not ture.... I got accepted into the facebook group 2 weeks before I sent in my deposit.

for no reason i was checking the pre-req list again on the school website, i swear it said Humanities and Social Science: 6 Semesters the last time i looked, even tho pharmCAS has always said 4, but now it says 4-6 which means no school during summer YAY

for no reason i was checking the pre-req list again on the school website, i swear it said Humanities and Social Science: 6 Semesters the last time i looked, even tho pharmCAS has always said 4, but now it says 4-6 which means no school during summer YAY

I would still check with Juliana or Patrice - they could have updated it for next year's requirements!!

This happened to my friend. Make sure you are using your real name and not a nickname.

Thanks luckyphooey! I changed my name to real name, then the group accepted me about 2 days later. :D

UMB asks for a 4-credit Microbiology class as pre-req, but the university I attended only offers a course with 3 credit hours.......I also noticed that UMB website says that one should take another course until the amount of credit hours are filled.....

I guess I was just wondering if anybody has had such situation and got the pre-req waived.........

ps: there is one 4 credit hour microbiology class but with no labs....

Thanks very much!:)

UMB asks for a 4-credit Microbiology class as pre-req, but the university I attended only offers a course with 3 credit hours.......I also noticed that UMB website says that one should take another course until the amount of credit hours are filled.....

I guess I was just wondering if anybody has had such situation and got the pre-req waived.........

ps: there is one 4 credit hour microbiology class but with no labs....

Thanks very much!:)

I had the same issue with anatomy, and they said I could not waive it. They said I had to fill the 1 remaining credit, so I had to take another 3 credit course..... seemed silly if you ask me, but rules are rules. You should ask to see if you can get an exception though. It won't hurt!

Did they send out the emails to tell us if we were missing prereqs?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we set up an email account?? or does it set up automatically with the UMBid?

didnt get my pre-req email yet, hope thats a good sign lol, still waiting for the official "you are in" paper tho

I just talked to Ms. Sharp and she seem busy up to her neck with work to do...also, it was interesting that she mentioned that the Baltimore campus is not filled yet but that Shady Grove is filled.

Ok, so I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have never lived anywhere but MD. I received my driver's license here, registered to vote here, and attended undergrad here with in-state tuition status. I do not know why they have me as Out of State. I turned in the residency application back in November. The office of the registrar said (about a month ago) that it may take them a bit of time to update my application, but after reading their residency FAQ, I see that it says something along the lines of "your residency status is determined at the time of admission" :(

Has anyone else had their residency process delayed?

Ok, so I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have never lived anywhere but MD. I received my driver's license here, registered to vote here, and attended undergrad here with in-state tuition status. I do not know why they have me as Out of State. I turned in the residency application back in November. The office of the registrar said (about a month ago) that it may take them a bit of time to update my application, but after reading their residency FAQ, I see that it says something along the lines of "your residency status is determined at the time of admission" :(

Has anyone else had their residency process delayed?

I have the same issue going on. I was also told it takes a while for them to evaluate the in-state application. Also, the person who I talked to at the registar's office said to talk to admissions since we are new students.

masafi:

How long did it take for you to get this email from the day you got the acceptance email?

thanks!:)

Hey I got my acceptance on the 6th april and my pre-req letter on the 22nd :)

I have the same issue going on. I was also told it takes a while for them to evaluate the in-state application. Also, the person who I talked to at the registar's office said to talk to admissions since we are new students.

ok thanks, that makes me feel better

Hey I got my acceptance on the 6th april and my pre-req letter on the 22nd :)

that's weird... i was accepted before you and haven't heard anything. were you missing a lot?

ok thanks, that makes me feel better

that's weird... i was accepted before you and haven't heard anything. were you missing a lot?

Not really. I just bugged Ms.Sharp a lot about it lol I called her for like 3 days straight and then emailed her hehe. I think she eventually got sick of me!

I just talked to Ms. Sharp and she seem busy up to her neck with work to do...also, it was interesting that she mentioned that the Baltimore campus is not filled yet but that Shady Grove is filled.

That is interesting...makes me kind of kick myself that I didn't go on the Baltimore Campus waitlist, lol. I think I am going to love Shady Grove...it is just that currently I live sooooo much closer to Baltimore. :rolleyes:

So I received a letter by snail mail skimming over the basics like student ID, residency, pre-req deadline, and Welcome Day. The last sentence says to fill out the form and mail it to the admissions committee. I didn't receive a form. Did anyone else receive a form with that letter or am I just confused?

i got the same thing, no forms tho, i guess its referring to forms that you still need to fill out, if any

So I just realized UMB's stafford loan max is only $20,500 - $8,500 subsidized and $12,000 unsubsidized. Why is that?? How come the med and dentistry students are eligible for over double that? I'm so confused. I was assuming to receive the full $32,500 but now I have to worry about gradPLUS loans which I really didn't want to take out. Is anyone surprised by that?

So I just realized UMB's stafford loan max is only $20,500 - $8,500 subsidized and $12,000 unsubsidized. Why is that?? How come the med and dentistry students are eligible for over double that? I'm so confused. I was assuming to receive the full $32,500 but now I have to worry about gradPLUS loans which I really didn't want to take out. Is anyone surprised by that?

Where did you read this?
I went to the main Stafford website, which states that all graduate/professional cap for Stafford per year is $20,500 ($8500 subsidized/$12000 unsubsidized). It should be standard for all the schools.

http://www.studentloannetwork.com/federal-student-loans/stafford-loan.php

Where did you read this?
I went to the main Stafford website, which states that all graduate/professional cap for Stafford per year is $20,500 ($8500 subsidized/$12000 unsubsidized). It should be standard for all the schools.

I'm so confused now lol. Do different schools have different maximums? Like private vs. public schools? When I attended Midwestern's interview, they had a little financial aid seminar and the Stafford Loan Annual Limits they listed were $8,500 for subsidized and $24,500 for unsubsidized. Also, before I withdrew my seat at Jefferson, I had received my aid award and they gave me $8,500 subsidized and $24,500 unsubsidized exactly. So I just assumed that the $33k max was the same for all schools. That's why I was so surprised but looks like I'll be getting some gradPLUS too.

I'm so confused now lol. Do different schools have different maximums? Like private vs. public schools? When I attended Midwestern's interview, they had a little financial aid seminar and the Stafford Loan Annual Limits they listed were $8,500 for subsidized and $24,500 for unsubsidized. Also, before I withdrew my seat at Jefferson, I had received my aid award and they gave me $8,500 subsidized and $24,500 unsubsidized exactly. So I just assumed that the $33k max was the same for all schools. That's why I was so surprised but looks like I'll be getting some gradPLUS too.

Hmm....yea no idea! If you're really curious and dying to know, you could always call the financial office and see what they say?

Hmm....yea no idea! If you're really curious and dying to know, you could always call the financial office and see what they say?
I was more concerned cuz I thought I was getting 'cheated' out of loans. But, now that I know that it is the max, there's nothing I can do but to get another loan. Thanks for the help!

I also have a question relating to tuition fee. If I am staying at MD for one year and become MD resident, then will I be eligible for in-state tuition at UMB? Thanks

I believe so...

I also have a question relating to tuition fee. If I am staying at MD for one year and become MD resident, then will I be eligible for in-state tuition at UMB? Thanks

You are "eligible" to apply for in-state tuition, but it may not always mean you will be guaranteed in-state.

Hi Utterdevotion,
Thanks for your quick reply. I know that there are some schools, you only have to pay out-of-state tuition for the first year. After becoming the state resident, your tuition will automatically be considered as in-state. Did you mean at UMB I can apply for in-state tuition after one year, but it isn't guaranteed that I will be granted?

Hi Utterdevotion,
Thanks for your quick reply. I know that there are some schools, you only have to pay out-of-state tuition for the first year. After becoming the state resident, your tuition will automatically be considered as in-state. Did you mean at UMB I can apply for in-state tuition after one year, but it isn't guaranteed that I will be granted?

Actually! You can apply for in-state tuition starting the Spring semester of your first year. It has been rumored that it's tricky to get in-state; some students get it super easy (without going through everything), while others are still denied (even after changing over their license, getting a house and job here, etc).

Where did you read this?

Med students aren't included in the regular professional/grad student grouping. They are their own class of students. I also read about the higher Stafford cap for them last year, somewhere on the federal student aid site. I can't find it now, but it is right on UMB's Student Financial & Education Assistance site...scroll down to the bottom:

http://www.umaryland.edu/fin/UMBloans.html

Please correct me if this is wrong! I would love for this to be wrong. It makes me so angry....

I wrote my US Senator and House Representatives about this disparity last summer and will do the same this summer. I encourage you all to pen letters as well.

I think it is funny that they have already posted the summer homework for you guys. (I was looking at the Welcome Day Agenda, since I have to plan my trip that day)

I think it is funny that they have already posted the summer homework for you guys. (I was looking at the Welcome Day Agenda, since I have to plan my trip that day)
Lol... I was literally JUST reading it. But the nerd in me is kinda excited to have homework again. I miss school!

wait... someone said homework? noooooooooooooooo.....

and... question about financial aid, right now they are offering me the following, Grad PLUS, Direct Loan subsidized/unsubsidized and University Grant, total is 60,000+ but i know i only need maybe 20-25k (dont need Room and Board), so im guessing i should accept grant-sub-unsub-Gradplus in that order?? and i think GradPlus is 7.5%, not sure... and is there any catch to the grants?

when did you get your financial aid stuff??

last week or so, they asked me to go on campus and bring my passport and some other stuff to their office, so i did, and they told me about the initial reward letter the next day... also took care of my instate status form while i was there

Having everything in order makes me sooo excited to start school :)

......c'mon august

I'm on the wait list but what forms are required for UM-Baltimore before starting in the fall?

-immunizations?
-physical?
-drug screening?
-blood test?

Hi there! I have a question about blood pressure cuffs/stethoscope for Abilities Lab. I got my welcome packet yesterday and it had a flyer from Kappa Psi with an order form for various stethoscopes in various prices: $20, $55 and $80. Should I just go with the cheapest one? Not sure if it makes a difference ... never used one before! Thanks =)

Hi there! I have a question about blood pressure cuffs/stethoscope for Abilities Lab. I got my welcome packet yesterday and it had a flyer from Kappa Psi with an order form for various stethoscopes in various prices: $20, $55 and $80. Should I just go with the cheapest one? Not sure if it makes a difference ... never used one before! Thanks =)

I brought the most expensive one, my reason being that I will need it for the next four years in school and plus after I graduate (depending on where I choose to practice), so why not invest in a good one. However, if you are tight on cash, the cheapest will suffice.

Some students have found it harder to hear the heart sounds with the cheapest one. My reasoning for buying the $80 one my first year was the same as lucky's.