University of Maryland Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh dear. And to think I'm supposed to give you medchem answers....you should have been smart and gotten them before i found this :laugh:
I think he was trying to get people to come here, not deter them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh dear. And to think I'm supposed to give you medchem answers....you should have been smart and gotten them before i found this :laugh:

So a J/K isn't going to suffice this time?

i have a feeling this has already been answered. if so, sorry.

just a short answer will do. thanks!

do most students use Macs or PCs? does it matter for school related assignments and websites?

Well, heres the deal.
They say that there are programs that you use in pharmacy school that only run on PCs, not Macs. I don't know if the Cisco client (the program you use to log on to the network at UMB requires this or not) requires PCs only, but I doubt not. But if you have a Mac, they want you to get bootcamp so you can run Windows on your Mac. I would never do this to my baby, so I didn't.

But so far, all of the programs that I've needed have been Mac Compatible, including the one program we used for MedChem first semester to make models of drugs (I forget what this is called). So the school will pretty much tell you that you have to get a PC. But there are so many people with Macs on campus. And if there are any assignments or anything, there's PCs in the library for you to use.

One bad thing though, Mediasite double-speed (the website that you use to watch recorded lectures) only works on PCs with Internet Explorer, as of now. I heard theyre supposed to be making improvements to Silverlight in order to have double speed on Macs. So for now, when I need to watch lectures, I use a PC. Either the one I have at home, or I go to the library. Double speed will save your life. When you watch lectures at regular speed, you die from boredom. At least this way you don't fall asleep as quick. And you can always do 1.2x, 1.4x, 1.6x or 1.8x if you arent comfortable with 2x. So thats the only problem I have with it, but apparently it should be upgraded soon.

ADD VERSION: you cant watch mediasite double speed with a Mac, but plenty of people have Macs, so don't be discouraged!

do most students use Macs or PCs? does it matter for school related assignments and websites?

Bottom line: There's more PC users than Mac users. But all the PC users are jealous of the kids with Macs in class.

Hi!
for those who have sent in deposits, does anyone hear back from the school? I haven't received any pre-req list nor email that is other than acceptance notice. Getting nervous here. Thanks!

Hi!
for those who have sent in deposits, does anyone hear back from the school? I haven't received any pre-req list nor email that is other than acceptance notice. Getting nervous here. Thanks!
I got an e-mail confirming they received my deposit. But that has been it.

i got a criminal background check thing today, not from the school directly but from another company called Application Station, i think its related to UMB, tho im not sure cuz i havnt gave up my seat at another school yet, which i intend to hold until i actually receive some hard evidence from UMB that im in... i know right? :p

I got accepted 1 month ago, and yet haven't got any more information other than the acceptance letter.....i was expecting something to be mail to me for further guidance....or am I wrong about this?.....:confused:

I am currently surfing the website to find more information about class registration but only got more confused.........Can someone please help me by explaining the process that it takes for a new student to get ready for the first semester?........

Thanks in advance ~!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted 1 month ago, and yet haven't got any more information other than the acceptance letter.....i was expecting something to be mail to me for further guidance....or am I wrong about this?.....:confused:

I am currently surfing the website to find more information about class registration but only got more confused.........Can someone please help me by explaining the process that it takes for a new student to get ready for the first semester?........

Thanks in advance ~!!:)

This is for ALL incoming students - EVERYTHING will be explained to you during orientation (even registration will be done FOR YOU by admin).

So just relax and have fun! The only thing you should do before orientation is:
1. Make sure all your pre-reqs are done.
2. Check to make sure your deposit check has been cashed (this will take awhile).
3. Make sure all your financial stuff is completed by our office; don't check until July (it can take them that long). All the requirements for financial aid for you all is not due until after orientation
4. Find a place to live

sounds simple enough. thanks utterdevotion :thumbup:

is there a financial aid office at shady grove? they want me to take my passport to their office apparently, a while ago another school ask for it as well and i emailed them a scan, but on SURF it sounded like they want the real deal lol

is there a financial aid office at shady grove? they want me to take my passport to their office apparently, a while ago another school ask for it as well and i emailed them a scan, but on SURF it sounded like they want the real deal lol

You should contact Lisa Reidenauer, she's the coordinator at Shady Grove. Whenever we need to send anything to Baltimore, we go to her. Maybe she can help you. Her office number is (301) 738-6351. email: [email protected]. She's very helpful!:thumbup:

Call Lisa and if she can handle it she will (she's pretty awesome).

But to give you you a heads up, I was also required to take in my passport last year and I had to drive into Baltimore to do it. The people at the financial aid office were extremely helpful though; it was a worthwhile trip. Just make sure you print out ALL the forms and take them in with you.

Do you know anyone in Baltimore campus who is making a good balance between going to school and taking care a little one alone? For whatever reason, I won't have any help from my family in terms of baby-sitting and I will have to send my daughter to daycare from the every beginning after I move to Baltimore.

I wish I could have someone to ask about the situation. I'm really scared.

BTW, we can know about the missing pre at latest by the coming Monday. And the official acceptance letters are also on the way.

just to clarify the mac/pc thing - you can watch doublespeed on the mac if you run windows on it (i think its about $1000 extra) i know a ton of people who switch back and forth and they love it.

Is anyone else having issues with in state status? I've only lived in MD and for some reason they have me as being out of state... (I submitted the additional application back in like November or something) :(

Hello! I wanted to know if anyone knew if June would be too late to sign a lease for housing in Baltimore? I still need to do some more research/hunting around but there's pressure from advertisements/rental agencies to sign the lease by June for deals/waiting list/"supposed limited slots"/whatever. I know you can always find something, but I would rather live off campus. I honestly feel like people may wait until later to figure things out because it's only April, and even I keep wavering on things. Probably would know better the month before about roommates etc./ situations (ie July), but the housing rental market doesn't appear to be moving on that time frame. Anybody got an idea of when people actually start looking for roommates seriously and when people are moving forward with finding housing? : - (

This is for ALL incoming students - EVERYTHING will be explained to you during orientation (even registration will be done FOR YOU by admin).

So just relax and have fun! The only thing you should do before orientation is:
1. Make sure all your pre-reqs are done.
2. Check to make sure your deposit check has been cashed (this will take awhile).
3. Make sure all your financial stuff is completed by our office; don't check until July (it can take them that long). All the requirements for financial aid for you all is not due until after orientation
4. Find a place to live

YAY~! I love it! hehe, thanks Utterdevotion!

Not to start something or sound confrontational, but I think that people have the right to ask questions on this thread. Like the deal with macs vs pcs, who would know unless someone asked? Or about wondering when the deposit would be cashed in (because suddenly look at your bank statement with a wipe out of 800 dollars many months down the road). Naturally, this thread is going to sound neurotic with people asking questions. And I do think people are going to be relaxing before school starts, because there really isn't going to much free time once school hits. Might as well plan a bit before things start.

Not to start something or sound confrontational, but I think that people have the right to ask questions on this thread. Like the deal with macs vs pcs, who would know unless someone asked? Or about wondering when the deposit would be cashed in (because suddenly look at your bank statement with a wipe out of 800 dollars many months down the road). Naturally, this thread is going to sound neurotic with people asking questions. And I do think people are going to be relaxing before school starts, because there really isn't going to much free time once school hits. Might as well plan a bit before things start.

So even though this is not "directed any anyone" I'm going to answer it anyway.

I think the whole point of the thread is to ask questions. I've been answering questions for incoming students for three years - they're always the same questions! I don't mind. I was a first year once, and I asked just as many questions as everyone else.

If I sounded annoyed, I'm not. I just want to ease everyone's mind that it is standard protocol that everything gets answered during orientation. So it's not that I don't want to answer questions...but that things such as what do I do with financial aid, how do I order a laptop, what books do I get, etc all get explained during orientation. And even though everything gets answered during orientation, I DID answer everyone's questions anyway lol

Thanks Utterdevotion for all your help! I think everyone here respects the fact that you and Luckyphooey as well as others have chimed in here and responded with great answers!!

Honestly, I'm glad that we all can speak our minds, no shrinking violets :D, and that as a class we're all going to make our school and class very proud in the next four years and beyond. Maybe even drive each other crazy while having fun. LOL. :laugh:

in case anyone is wondering, they've begun cashing the checks. my deposit was cashed on 4/16.

Anyone out there pet owners? Just wondering where the best location to rent an apt would be that is pet-friendly and close to campus. I have two small dogs. Thank you!

Hi guys, please help me. I called today and got my ID but I still have to set my login password and I have no clue where to go. If anyone has already set up the login and the password please tell me how you did it.
Thanks.

Thanks for the link Weetzie. I was able to create a log-in and password, but I don't know my student ID # (I'm assuming it's a number). Do you know where to find that?

I'm gonna withdraw my acceptance for the Baltimore campus, so good luck to the people on the waitlist!

Hey Weetzie, thanks for the link to create the id's! once you're on that site what did you do? I typed in my last name, birthdate, and last 4 of my social and they said I wasn't in the system. Am I missing something lol

The same thing happened to me! I think we need to call them up and get our campus id or something.

Hey Weetzie, thanks for the link to create the id's! once you're on that site what did you do? I typed in my last name, birthdate, and last 4 of my social and they said I wasn't in the system. Am I missing something lol

That happened to me too. Everything was in the system except for my SSN, which for whatever reason wasn't linked to my account. A phone call to the registrar's office fixed it. It's a separate issue from the student ID (they call it the "@" number) which was issued to me by Patrice before I discovered the SSN issue.

That happened to me too. Everything was in the system except for my SSN, which for whatever reason wasn't linked to my account. A phone call to the registrar's office fixed it. It's a separate issue from the student ID (they call it the "@" number) which was issued to me by Patrice before I discovered the SSN issue.
I didn't get an "@" number yet. I just set up my UMBID out of curiosity to see if it'd work lol. What does the @ number allow us to do? Did you just email Patrice and ask for it? Thanks.

I didn't get an "@" number yet. I just set up my UMBID out of curiosity to see if it'd work lol. What does the @ number allow us to do? Did you just email Patrice and ask for it? Thanks.

I think it's UMD's verstion of a student ID number. I was an early decision student, so I got a lot of emails about this stuff in Feb-March. Patrice just proactively emailed me to let me know what the @ number was. When I couldn't get the UMD system to recognize me (which turned out to be because of my missing SSN), I called UMD tech support ... it was a woman there who went into my account, noticed the SSN was missing and told me to call the registrar. That's all I remember ... hope that helps!

ok i found my @ number, you can use your UMBID/pass to log on to SURFS here
https://www.simsweb.umaryland.edu

then click on the "Student Services & Financial Aid" tab, then click on anything, like "Registration", then click any item in the menu, and you should see a @XXXXXXX on your right

you can check your registration status and financial aid stuff while you are there, anyways i dont think the @number has any use yet

then click on the "Student Services & Financial Aid" tab, then click on anything, like "Registration", then click any item in the menu, and you should see a @XXXXXXX on your right

you can check your registration status and financial aid stuff while you are there, anyways i dont think the @number has any use yet
Oh I found it. Thanks! Good to know.

yay! thanks! when i was applying for housing, a lot of the forms wanted that number but i had to use my social instead. that's why i was curious...

So I called to ask my rank on the waiting list again.
She didn't tell me the rank number last time but this time she told me I was #39.
And I also asked her if people are offered admission starting from #1 and she said yes.
She also told me that they are going to offer more admission to people next week since the class is not filled yet.
How likely do you think I will be offered admissions next week if I'm #39??
can somebody call and ask (perhaps) how many spots are open? will they tell us that?

Does anybody know if we have to be there for the orientation for all three days (August 18, 19, & 20)? or any day of our choice....? :D

Thanks!!!!

Does anybody know if we have to be there for the orientation for all three days (August 18, 19, & 20)? or any day of our choice....? :D

Thanks!!!!

I am pretty sure we have to be there all 3days. Looking at last year's orientation schedule, each day has different stuff going on.

I will probably withdraw my seat as well. :(

I am pretty sure we have to be there all 3days. Looking at last year's orientation schedule, each day has different stuff going on.

You have to be there all three days; it is a marathon event! It is very tiring but the best thing about this is that you will get a great opportunity to bond with your future classmates!

hi guys! I just have some questions about Charles Towers- is it within walking distance to UMB campus? any positive or negative comments you've heard about this place? are there a lot of students that live here? I googled it and it seems closed enough but since I won't have a car, I just want to make sure that it's a safe and short distance from campus. Thanks!

hi guys! I just have some questions about Charles Towers- is it within walking distance to UMB campus? any positive or negative comments you've heard about this place? are there a lot of students that live here? I googled it and it seems closed enough but since I won't have a car, I just want to make sure that it's a safe and short distance from campus. Thanks!

I had to look this place up - never heard of it! It's on N. Charles street...which is kind of far from here. It is AT LEAST 15 minutes (i'm estimating more like 20-25 minutes since its about 15 minutes to get to the Inner Harbor from school).

Charles St is a busy street so I wouldn't worry too much about safety...but to me, it seems like your walk is far.

I had to look this place up - never heard of it! It's on N. Charles street...which is kind of far from here. It is AT LEAST 15 minutes (i'm estimating more like 20-25 minutes since its about 15 minutes to get to the Inner Harbor from school).

Charles St is a busy street so I wouldn't worry too much about safety...but to me, it seems like your walk is far.

Thanks for your response utterdevotion! yeah it didn't seem like this place is that popular, I just saw it as one of the listings on the UMB housing form. I'm also looking at Fayette Square application and I noticed that there's a form for requesting specific roommates - if we have names then we can put it down and if we don't know anyone then it seems like we'll be placed with other students. Is this how it works? Is Fayette only for grad students or just UM students in general?

Thanks for your response utterdevotion! yeah it didn't seem like this place is that popular, I just saw it as one of the listings on the UMB housing form. I'm also looking at Fayette Square application and I noticed that there's a form for requesting specific roommates - if we have names then we can put it down and if we don't know anyone then it seems like we'll be placed with other students. Is this how it works? Is Fayette only for grad students or just UM students in general?

Yes - that is how it works. If you know people, you can request to be together, otherwise, they just randomly match. Fayette only houses UMB students (so dental, medical, pharmacy, nursing, social work, research grad, law, public health).