University of Maryland Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks both! I think I will get the $80 one then =)

Members don't see this ad.

if you have your own manual cuff can you bring that? or should i just get 1 anyway

if you have your own manual cuff can you bring that? or should i just get 1 anyway

As long as it's not the large or super small one it should be fine. My first year, I got the wrong size....can't practice on your classmate if you have a large cuff fitted for an obese patient haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,

I will be P1 at the Baltimore Campus this year. Yay :D
I have some questions I would like you to answer for me.

Is there any subject or stuff you might study during summer to ease the coursework when I become P1 student or just for my pharmacy career? (memorizing drugs and effects, etc.?) I just have too much time during this summer.

Also, I am getting little bit disappointed in U of Maryland cause the admission (mainly Patrice Sharp) is very slow in everything. She rarely replies to my emails. Also, the deposit I paid hasn't been cashed yet and she told me it will be cashed by 5/10 which was about 10 days ago. She seems little be condescending to me as well. What do you think about Univ. of Maryland? (I just got the feeling that some other schools were more caring and timely).

Thanks

Hello guys,

I will be P1 at the Baltimore Campus this year. Yay :D
I have some questions I would like you to answer for me.

Is there any subject or stuff you might study during summer to ease the coursework when I become P1 student or just for my pharmacy career? (memorizing drugs and effects, etc.?) I just have too much time during this summer.

Also, I am getting little bit disappointed in U of Maryland cause the admission (mainly Patrice Sharp) is very slow in everything. She rarely replies to my emails. Also, the deposit I paid hasn't been cashed yet and she told me it will be cashed by 5/10 which was about 10 days ago. She seems little be condescending to me as well. What do you think about Univ. of Maryland? (I just got the feeling that some other schools were more caring and timely).

Thanks

I don't understand everyone's obsession with having their check cashed. You guys are in, what's the big difference. Just relax. JuliAna and Patrice are only two people and there is only so much they can do. Plus, the admission office gets a lot of help from students who worked there but ever since finals week they stop showing up (you work when you can.) JuliAna and Patrice are amazing people and I know they are doing good work. They have heaps and heaps of paperwork to go through, hundreds of transcripts to go through.

Hi all,
I have a question concerning the Welcome day. I am afraid that I won't be able get off work in order to attend it. Do you think that I will miss out a lot of information?
For those who will attend the June Welcome day, it would be so great if you can post a brief summary of what's going on there.
Thanks a lot,

I have a question regarding letters of recommendation. On pharmcas it states they accept letters from a supervisor or employer, but not a pharmacist. Just want to confirm that with this past cycles applicants... thanks in advance!

I have a question regarding letters of recommendation. On pharmcas it states they accept letters from a supervisor or employer, but not a pharmacist. Just want to confirm that with this past cycles applicants... thanks in advance!

A DoP wrote one of my letters for me this past cycle.

Hmm.. I never noticed that. I had 3 LoRs from pharmacists and 1 from a professor. Contact the school to get further clarification.

Does anyone know what attire would be appropriate for Welcome Day? Will I be fine with business casual: pair of chinos+dress shirt?

Hello, guys! My name is Yuna, I'll be attending Shady Grove campus this Fall. I'm looking for roommate(s) to share an apartment, preferably female. I'm looking at Avalon at Decoverly, http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/apa/1760838160.html
either 1BR w/ loft, 2BR, or 3BR... It's pretty expensive, but it's only 5 min drive from campus. It's not set in stone, since I'm continuing to look at different places.

Just to briefly talk about myself, I went to UC San Diego, CA for undergrad, I'm 25 years old, female, like to snowboard and exercise. I like to cook at home a lot. I'm planning to bring my car with me. I won't be attending the Welcome day in June, unfortunately, so I need to find someone over the internet. So please PM me if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what attire would be appropriate for Welcome Day? Will I be fine with business casual: pair of chinos+dress shirt?

Business casual is good. Polos are good, just don't show up in a t-shirt and jean. Also, don't go too formal because you will stick out like a sore thumb. Can't wait to see everyone!

hey gang, i got bored and tried to look up what books we'll need for the classes, i donno if the bookstore list is complete but it doesnt have show anything for Proteomics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, which is kinda weird, anyways here is a list, and a quick question, if i get these books elsewhere, as in not buying from the university store, can i request a check for the left over money from the financial aid? i think a lot of schools have that, how does it work...

anyways heres the list, maybe someone will find it useful or correct it

---PHAR 505 abilities Lab

PHARMACEUTICAL CALCULATIONS
ZATZ
Edition:4TH 05
Publisher:WILEY
ISBN: 9780471433538
$79.65/$59.75

MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY:SHORT COURSE-W/2CDS
CHABNER
Edition:5TH 09
Publisher:ELSEVIER
ISBN: 9781416055181
$36.50/$27.40

DRUG INFORMATION HANDBOOK,2010-2011
LACY
Edition:19TH 10
Publisher:MATTHEWS
ISBN: 9781591952787
Price not available

---PHAR 506 Drug Action

BASIC+CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
KATZUNG
Edition:11TH 09
Publisher:MCG
ISBN: 9780071604055
$67.60/$50.70

theres something for PHAR 510, but it doesnt say what it is, just option to preorder, price is new/used from the school store

hey gang, i got bored and tried to look up what books we'll need for the classes, i donno if the bookstore list is complete but it doesnt have show anything for Proteomics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, which is kinda weird, anyways here is a list, and a quick question, if i get these books elsewhere, as in not buying from the university store, can i request a check for the left over money from the financial aid? i think a lot of schools have that, how does it work...

anyways heres the list, maybe someone will find it useful or correct it

---PHAR 505 abilities Lab

PHARMACEUTICAL CALCULATIONS
ZATZ
Edition:4TH 05
Publisher:WILEY
ISBN: 9780471433538
$79.65/$59.75

MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY:SHORT COURSE-W/2CDS
CHABNER
Edition:5TH 09
Publisher:ELSEVIER
ISBN: 9781416055181
$36.50/$27.40

DRUG INFORMATION HANDBOOK,2010-2011
LACY
Edition:19TH 10
Publisher:MATTHEWS
ISBN: 9781591952787
Price not available

---PHAR 506 Drug Action

BASIC+CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY
KATZUNG
Edition:11TH 09
Publisher:MCG
ISBN: 9780071604055
$67.60/$50.70

theres something for PHAR 510, but it doesnt say what it is, just option to preorder, price is new/used from the school store

I didn't use/buy ANY books except the calculations book!! My personal opinion is to not buy any books until you start classes and you feel like you need it. The books are really used as a supplement to the class even when they are said to be required.

Maybe lucky can shed some light on which books he bought.

I didn't use/buy ANY books except the calculations book!! My personal opinion is to not buy any books until you start classes and you feel like you need it. The books are really used as a supplement to the class even when they are said to be required.

Maybe lucky can shed some light on which books he bought.

Ditto. I highly stressed buying the pharm calculation book because you will need it for all 3 years of abilities lab (plus, it is helpful for studying the calc part on naplex). Like devotion said, do not buy books until classes start so you get a feel for how the class is and gauge whether the book is necessary. If you need to get a book, reach out to your upperclassmen, you might get it cheaper from them or even for free from your big. Also, because of the nature of how classes are taught at UMD, you do not have one professor teaching you all through one semester but instead a string of professors who rotate and teach based on their specialties. Some of these professors do not follow the book, so there is really no point in getting some of the text, like for PChem. I do recommend buying the BioChem textbook, especially if you have not taken BioChem before (I just so happen to have it from undergrad). The BioChem course is fast paced (1 chapter per class) and for the one of the coursemaster, he exclusively relies on the book (so I read all of the chapters for his sections). Plus, BioChem is such an important concept to grasp and the textbook is a solid resource.

Holymoly, there are no REQUIRED books for Proteomic/Genomics.

As for the Med Terminology book, I suggest sharing it with someone. You get a schedule beforehand of what is covered on each week's quiz and it really only takes but 30mins-1hr to study the med term part. Or just burrow someone's book and copy the words down and look it up for yourself.
>>Drug Information handbook, we all just use the online version <Lexi-Comp> via the school library, no need to carry around that bulky book.

All those books are available to use at the library though, right? I was planning on just hanging out at the library if i needed to use one I hadn't purchased.

Hey guys, how do you get food if you live on campus? (I'm going to live in Fayette Squre). I know that there is a grocery store around Fayette Squre, but how about some cooked food.........is there a cafeteria on campus? Thanks!:D

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a TV and I bet there's plenty of graduating out-of-state students trying to get rid of theirs. Is there a website that UMB students go to to post sales, give-aways, roommates, etc??

Hey guys, how do you get food if you live on campus? (I'm going to live in Fayette Squre). I know that there is a grocery store around Fayette Squre, but how about some cooked food.........is there a cafeteria on campus? Thanks!:D

Sorry for being MIA...rotations are super busy this block!

There is no "cafeteria" - you're on your own! Buy groceries, eat out (which is what we all tend to do for the sake of time and energy). There is a cafeteria in the hospital down the street, and there's Jay's that serves food at the dental school across the street from PH. There's a lot of small places to eat around the school but there's no cafeteria that we would call our own.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a TV and I bet there's plenty of graduating out-of-state students trying to get rid of theirs. Is there a website that UMB students go to to post sales, give-aways, roommates, etc??

There's no website posting (though that's a really good idea to suggest in your feedback during orientation :p). It's also pretty safe to say that most 4th years that have graduated have already left. Graduation was in May and most of them have passed their boards and working/starting residency. But if I do hear about a TV I will let you know!

I haven't received my loan or financial aid information (awards) yet, I was just curious if anyone has? I am starting to worry a bit:scared::)

I haven't received my loan or financial aid information (awards) yet, I was just curious if anyone has? I am starting to worry a bit:scared::)

I haven't either. Are you out of state? I'm from CA. I've been badgering them and they finally sent me a form I need to fill out "for more information." You should call financial aid since it's starting to get closer!

All those books are available to use at the library though, right? I was planning on just hanging out at the library if i needed to use one I hadn't purchased.

Done to do that. The books go missing all the time. During first semester the biochem book disappeared for weeks. Dont even know if it is still there. Actually I have the current edition book on PDF. Too bad I downloaded it during the last week of school.

Could a current student or credible resource shed some light in regards to how well connected UMB is to the surrounding pharmaceutical companies? I imagine they would have great internship/rotation opportunities with pharma companies solely bc they are located in the northeast. I am researching schools that would be the best fit for an individual working towards a career in industry.

Thanks in advance SDN'ers!

im really interested in maryland, but i'm a little nervous about their pchem course? I notice some of SDN-ers posting about that class, but on their website they don't mention it in the curriculum....??
thanks!

hey guys, im in the process of buying a laptop for school, the ones offered by the school store seems a little expensive (i think i know how to fix it so i dont really need 4yr warranty)... i have a question for any current student that goes to the SG campus... how long does a typical day last, and how much will i be using it? including class/library/whatever etc...

im not a fan of bringing the power cord everywhere, and im not sure how much battery i would need

I plan to take the Marc train to Baltimore Penn station everyday, anyone know whether there is school bus to pick up students from penn station everyday?

Thank you so much!

Hi Everyone!!
-I just got accepted to UMB SOP for next cycle (class of 2015) and I 'm a bit concerned about the housing. I was really considering Pascault Row because it's cheaper than Fayette. However, someone mentioned that the walls are so thin that u can hear ur neighboors. Did anyone had any problems living at Pascault for that reason? I really don't like noise, especially when i'm studying, so that could really be a problem for me. And also, is there like a lounge or study rooms in that dorm? the dorms of the school where im from had some...
-Also, since i'm going to be new in the state (I'm from florida), i was thinking of selling my car, I dont want to pay all these parking fees i heard of. Is public transportation safe and reliable? If i have to go to rotations and all that, could i rely on public transportation? WOuld it be better to keep the car or not? I was also considering working part time my second year.
Any input is greatly appreciated... Thank you!!

Hi Everyone!!
-I just got accepted to UMB SOP for next cycle (class of 2015) and I 'm a bit concerned about the housing. I was really considering Pascault Row because it's cheaper than Fayette. However, someone mentioned that the walls are so thin that u can hear ur neighboors. Did anyone had any problems living at Pascault for that reason? I really don't like noise, especially when i'm studying, so that could really be a problem for me. And also, is there like a lounge or study rooms in that dorm? the dorms of the school where im from had some...
-Also, since i'm going to be new in the state (I'm from florida), i was thinking of selling my car, I dont want to pay all these parking fees i heard of. Is public transportation safe and reliable? If i have to go to rotations and all that, could i rely on public transportation? WOuld it be better to keep the car or not? I was also considering working part time my second year.
Any input is greatly appreciated... Thank you!!

Hi! :) First of all, CONGRATS! Welcome to UMBSOP!

You CAN hear your neighbors (not full blown conversations, but definitely when your neighbor opens his/her front door you can hear them, and if there's loud music blaring....). But everyone that lives in P-row are students and I honestly didn't have ANY problems studying (its pretty quiet throughout the complex).

There are no lounges or study rooms in P-row, which is different from Fayette, where there are lounges every other floor, but the rent is much more expensive.

Keep in mind that everyone in P-row and in Fayette are graduate students, there is no hanging out in the halls and stuff like that; its definitely more APARTMENT style and not DORM style, to help give you a better idea.

I'm a 4th year student now and I only know of ONE person left in my class that doesn't own a car. This is because there are not any close grocery stores nearby (about a 20-25 min walk to a small Superfresh), and the closest mall is about a half hour drive. There are A LOT of Baltimore rotations, but it will definitely limit your rotation choices by not being able to travel outside of Baltimore City. Though there is public transportation available, it is not widely used and I personally don't feel comfortable using it (I wouldn't say its NOT safe, just uncomfortable...) And there are tons of opportunities for jobs in the Baltimore region, so that may not be an issue for you either.

Can you do it without a car? Absolutely! Just a bit inconvenient. My personal opinion on it is, you're going to have enough troubles and stress from studying! Why have to worry about transportation too. But that's just me.
If you are really worried about the money aspect, you could always keep your car in Florida for the first semester/first year and if you really need it, bring it over later. A lot of out of state first years come without a car - they just befriend others with a car and it all works out :)

Electrophoresis, congratulations!

Were you early admission?

I thought that they only started looking at applications in January (not rolling)?

Hey everyone!

I also just got into UMB Class of 2015 through early decision! I also had a few questions about housing and the general area. My parents are thinking of buying a condo or something around the area rather than renting each place because it might be a better investment if I decide to stay around the area after 4 years (I'm originally from Fairfax, VA). Would you recommend that or would it be better to be with all the other students in Fayette or Pascault? Also, what areas in Baltimore are better/safer to live in? I'm not familiar with the area at all so any advice would be a lot of help! :) And do many people commute to school (if I end up buying a place that is a bit farther) or are most people around the area?

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

I also just got into UMB Class of 2015 through early decision! I also had a few questions about housing and the general area. My parents are thinking of buying a condo or something around the area rather than renting each place because it might be a better investment if I decide to stay around the area after 4 years (I'm originally from Fairfax, VA). Would you recommend that or would it be better to be with all the other students in Fayette or Pascault? Also, what areas in Baltimore are better/safer to live in? I'm not familiar with the area at all so any advice would be a lot of help! :) And do many people commute to school (if I end up buying a place that is a bit farther) or are most people around the area?

Thanks!

Congrats!!

I think owning a condo is a smart and great idea!

The closer you are to campus, the more motivated you will be to stay on campus and get super involved in organizations (which is HIGHLY recommended), and the more you will get to know your fellow students, faculty and staff here. That's not to say that if you do move further off campus, you won't be super involved, and you won't have study groups w/ your classmates.

I'm unfamiliar with where condos in the city are located..but I wouldn't mind you PMing me when you find a place and asking if that area is good or not.
Baltimore is an odd city and even on the same street, one block is great and another is not as safe. So it's really hard to tell you about it. I used to say that any place across MLK is not good...but there's actually some new developments that have sprung up that have been pretty good.

We do have a significant amount of commuters (rent is definitely cheaper out of the city) but you will have to fight traffic into the city depending on where you're coming from. Again, it's really up to the individual. The advantages of living close is....you can return home for lunch, you can run back if you forget your lab coat, you can drop off your stuff and head back to school for a meeting or to hang out with friends.

By the way, I live in Hanover, MD, about a 15-20min drive. I love it here :)

Hi! :) First of all, CONGRATS! Welcome to UMBSOP!

You CAN hear your neighbors (not full blown conversations, but definitely when your neighbor opens his/her front door you can hear them, and if there's loud music blaring....). But everyone that lives in P-row are students and I honestly didn't have ANY problems studying (its pretty quiet throughout the complex).

There are no lounges or study rooms in P-row, which is different from Fayette, where there are lounges every other floor, but the rent is much more expensive.

Keep in mind that everyone in P-row and in Fayette are graduate students, there is no hanging out in the halls and stuff like that; its definitely more APARTMENT style and not DORM style, to help give you a better idea.

I'm a 4th year student now and I only know of ONE person left in my class that doesn't own a car. This is because there are not any close grocery stores nearby (about a 20-25 min walk to a small Superfresh), and the closest mall is about a half hour drive. There are A LOT of Baltimore rotations, but it will definitely limit your rotation choices by not being able to travel outside of Baltimore City. Though there is public transportation available, it is not widely used and I personally don't feel comfortable using it (I wouldn't say its NOT safe, just uncomfortable...) And there are tons of opportunities for jobs in the Baltimore region, so that may not be an issue for you either.

Can you do it without a car? Absolutely! Just a bit inconvenient. My personal opinion on it is, you're going to have enough troubles and stress from studying! Why have to worry about transportation too. But that's just me.
If you are really worried about the money aspect, you could always keep your car in Florida for the first semester/first year and if you really need it, bring it over later. A lot of out of state first years come without a car - they just befriend others with a car and it all works out :)

Thanks for your input UtterDevotion, i think u have a really good idea about living the car in florida and bring it over later if i need it!! :)

Gotcha :)

Guess I still have a few months before I hear anything for us regular folk :( lol

Anyone know how tough it is for out-of-staters? I'm from UF.

They say they don't hold any preference on in-state residents. So you'll be on even ground.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I know that i should post my WAMC at another thread. But since most of you here go to UMB, would you be able to give me a general idea whether I get a chance. I am putting my deposit somewhere else but I would like to know if I have a chance to go to UMB.
My GPA: 2.8 :(:( but I have a BA in Chemistry
My prereq GPA is: 3.3
PCAT: 77%
I scored 80 and above for all sections (90% of CHEM) but english is my second language so I scored 40% on reading :(:(
Any hope?

Hi there,

I know that i should post my WAMC at another thread. But since most of you here go to UMB, would you be able to give me a general idea whether I get a chance. I am putting my deposit somewhere else but I would like to know if I have a chance to go to UMB.
My GPA: 2.8 :(:( but I have a BA in Chemistry
My prereq GPA is: 3.3
PCAT: 77%
I scored 80 and above for all sections (90% of CHEM) but english is my second language so I scored 40% on reading :(:(
Any hope?
I know people in similar situations who have gotten into UMB, so you definitely have a chance.:thumbup: Good luck!

I know people in similar situations who have gotten into UMB, so you definitely have a chance.:thumbup: Good luck!

Hi dashing.

I hope more than anything to go to UMB! I'd been to the open house and applied for the early decision (i did not get an interview invitation then). I am hoping they see my motivation!

Hi dashing.

I hope more than anything to go to UMB! I'd been to the open house and applied for the early decision (i did not get an interview invitation then). I am hoping they see my motivation!

Hi!
...Sounds like your PCAT stats have significantly improved since the early decision application and I know they look for motivation, as well, so you're on the right track! Good luck with it all! Hopefully we'll both be there next year! Feel free to PM me if I can help you with any specific questions...

when should interview invites be sent out for regular decision? I'm getting impatient!!!

when should interview invites be sent out for regular decision? I'm getting impatient!!!
UMB does not do rolling interviews - meaning, that since the deadline for applications isn't until January 1, only after that date will the school START reviewing applications! So don't expect any invites, until, at the very earliest, mid-January.

UMB does not do rolling interviews - meaning, that since the deadline for applications isn't until January 1, only after that date will the school START reviewing applications! So don't expect any invites, until, at the very earliest, mid-January.

Actually, the deadline is January 5. I applied for early decision and got deferred and i am just getting anxious. I was wondering how long after the deadline it takes for them to start interviewing, i know Maryland is not rolling. Thank you though, you think we will hear in the middle of January?

Actually, the deadline is January 5. I applied for early decision and got deferred and i am just getting anxious. I was wondering how long after the deadline it takes for them to start interviewing, i know Maryland is not rolling. Thank you though, you think we will hear in the middle of January?
Sorry - you're right about the deadline!:oops:
...I think they actually heard in February last year (you can check this thread for last year's comments)...Good luck!

If it's similar to last year, interviews started Jan 29 and lasted until Feb 25 (they had to push a date back due to snow closings). Acceptances went out at the beginning of March. Waitlists started at the end of March. Hope that helps.