University of Maryland Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys.. :) Im thinking of getting into Fayette square. Whats difference between tower, historic places, and townhomes? Are they located in same area? Also, in terms of security, how bad is it between the school and Fayette sq?! I havnt really walked around in baltimore before..so i have no idea where everything is located at. Please help me out! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys.. :) Im thinking of getting into Fayette square. Whats difference between tower, historic places, and townhomes? Are they located in same area? Also, in terms of security, how bad is it between the school and Fayette sq?! I havnt really walked around in baltimore before..so i have no idea where everything is located at. Please help me out! thanks

Please see one of my previous posts about Fayette.

You're the second person that has mentioned townhomes...Fayette doesn't have townhomes??

As to your other questions:
Yes - historic and towers are located in the same place. They are inside a gated area, and are right next to each other.

As I've mentioned before, it is rather safe in the campus area. Fayette and School is about 5 minute walk, so you should be fine! There are police who do rounds around the area, the police station is about 5 minutes from fayette, and fayette houses its own 24/7 security.

Hope that answers some of your questions :)

I just wanted to know how many shady grovers are planning to live by themselves this coming year? I am hoping to meet someone at the orientation who will want to share a two bedroom apartment with me. Everything will end up being a lot cheaper. I am planning on taking the weekend of the orientation to look for housing and finalize my housing situation. From the pictures I've seen, avalon at decoverly looks pretty good. I was just curious how you guys are planning on looking and setting up housing before school starts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to know how many shady grovers are planning to live by themselves this coming year? I am hoping to meet someone at the orientation who will want to share a two bedroom apartment with me. Everything will end up being a lot cheaper. I am planning on taking the weekend of the orientation to look for housing and finalize my housing situation. From the pictures I've seen, avalon at decoverly looks pretty good. I was just curious how you guys are planning on looking and setting up housing before school starts.

When the school sets up the facebook account, that's when you can look for roommates (many people find each other this way). PM ngoworries, he lives in Avalon at decoverly (it is pretty sweet!)

Luckyphooey or Utterdevotion – or anyone else – I have a couple of questions:

1. For those going to SG, are all the electives also available via satellite in our third year or do we go to the Baltimore campus? And what about for people doing dual degrees like PharmD/MPH (since the MPH courses are through the medschool)?

2. In the first year, do most students work/intern or is it recommended to focus on school and getting involved in student groups, etc? And though unlikely, is there a difference between SG and Baltimore students in that regard (since SG students are in class less, though the same workload)?

1. For those going to SG, are all the electives also available via satellite in our third year or do we go to the Baltimore campus? And what about for people doing dual degrees like PharmD/MPH (since the MPH courses are through the medschool)?

2. In the first year, do most students work/intern or is it recommended to focus on school and getting involved in student groups, etc? And though unlikely, is there a difference between SG and Baltimore students in that regard (since SG students are in class less, though the same workload)?

1. With the enhanced curriculum, most of the electives are now mandatory and so we only have to fulfill 11 credits of electives. There is space open in 3rd year to fuflfill these credits. There are some electives are only available at SG, there are electives that are synchronous/online, and some that might require you to travel to Baltimore once or twice. Also, you can also take classes at Shady Grove outside of the School to get elective credits (we have Nursing here, and Respiratory Therapy...). I know the MBA program is mostly online. I am not sure about the MPH, I am still hoping for the contract with College Park to come to fruition. If you guys don't know already, SG houses a lot of other schools and programs besides Pharmacy [they are looking to offering MPH next year I think]. Maybe Utterdevotion can address the dual degree better than I can.

2. I don't recommend working first semester just because you are in your transitional period. However, working is big PLUS, especially when it comes to the way Abilities Lab are run these days. If you are going to work, only work a few hours a week (<8 hours). I know a lot of people on both campuses who work. Several people at SG hold full time jobs (40hrs) and go to school, but that is only because they HAVE to. So in all, I recommend getting involved in the first semester and then start picking up hours in the second semester, depending on how you feel about first semester.

CURRENTLY (and I am sure this will change as the old curriculum leaves and we only have the new curriculum) - classes that are synchronous depend on the number of SG enrollees. If a certain number of SG students enroll in a certain elective, then a SG section for that elective will open. With the current budget issues, this is the best the school can do. This DOES suck for a student that would really love to take a particular elective but they're the ONLY person from their SG class that wants it. In this case, the only choice they have is to drive up to the Baltimore campus to take if (if they would like to). I do believe that all SG transportation to Baltimore is reimbursed.
I do think that this will be less of a concern for incoming classes because students in the new curriculum takes all their electives in the 3rd year - so a lack of enrollment from the SG campus will be less of an issue (if this rule even stays).

Current students require 17 elective credits. Of those 17 credits, 6 credits can be out-of-institution credits. They must be pre-approved by our Dean of Student Affairs and you will have to write a short blurb indicating why it's related to pharmacy (it's not hard to relate things to pharmacy, even Spanish would work :p). Since the new curriculum requires 11 elective credits, this "max out-of-institution" number may change.

Dual degrees: Currently we have an MBA dual degree with Towson, an MPH dual degree with UMB, PhD with UMB, and JD with UMB. With almost all of these dual degrees, the classes you take for your 2nd degree will count towards the electives needed for PharmD graduation. This is GREAT if you think about it :) But some students choose not to do dual degrees while in pharmacy school because they would rather be able to take pharmacy electives while in pharmacy school (what other time would you have to take pharmacy electives?) and wait until after graduation to pursue a second degree. This isn't to say that you couldn't do BOTH pharmacy electives and take your dual degree classes (you will just have to pick and choose which ones, to fit both types of classes into your schedule).

They are working with Shady Grove and College Park on contracts for MPH and MBA to offer dual degrees (so that they are not just concentrated up in Baltimore). The school has been working for FOUR years now, to get College Park's MBA to do a dual degree with us. So...I can't guarantee that this will come true next year! It takes a lot of work to get dual degrees established.

I'm cramming for a test tomorrow, so I'll add my two-cents about orgs/working your first semester later on. If you are really curious, I have talked about it before (so scroll up and find it :))

1. With the enhanced curriculum, most of the electives are now mandatory and so we only have to fulfill 11 credits of electives. There is space open in 3rd year to fuflfill these credits. There are some electives are only available at SG, there are electives that are synchronous/online, and some that might require you to travel to Baltimore once or twice. Also, you can also take classes at Shady Grove outside of the School to get elective credits (we have Nursing here, and Respiratory Therapy...). I know the MBA program is mostly online. I am not sure about the MPH, I am still hoping for the contract with College Park to come to fruition. If you guys don't know already, SG houses a lot of other schools and programs besides Pharmacy [they are looking to offering MPH next year I think]. Maybe Utterdevotion can address the dual degree better than I can.

2. I don't recommend working first semester just because you are in your transitional period. However, working is big PLUS, especially when it comes to the way Abilities Lab are run these days. If you are going to work, only work a few hours a week (<8 hours). I know a lot of people on both campuses who work. Several people at SG hold full time jobs (40hrs) and go to school, but that is only because they HAVE to. So in all, I recommend getting involved in the first semester and then start picking up hours in the second semester, depending on how you feel about first semester.

When the school sets up the facebook account, that's when you can look for roommates (many people find each other this way). PM ngoworries, he lives in Avalon at decoverly (it is pretty sweet!)
(BTW - facebook group is already up)

Help!!

I've been waitlisted. And its been 5 days since I recieved the email and I just noticed that I had to respond! :scared: So I just did...5 days later....I feel like that puts me lower in the list :scared:.

Thanks Luckyphooey & Utterdevotion for the thorough answers!

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, I currently live at Avalon at Decoverly and it is an awesome place. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I don't bite, I swear.

ok so now that I am in, what happens next? i already paid my deposit and figured out housing, when will the school mail me the official "you are in" letters with all the other info like background check and stuff?

also any more events between now and school starts at shady grove? according to some of you, the june welcome day isnt that useful, but if they got one at SG then i might go because its pretty close

I was just pulled off the waitlist for Baltimore :D

ok so now that I am in, what happens next? i already paid my deposit and figured out housing, when will the school mail me the official "you are in" letters with all the other info like background check and stuff?

also any more events between now and school starts at shady grove? according to some of you, the june welcome day isnt that useful, but if they got one at SG then i might go because its pretty close

welcome day I not helpful if you have to travel across the US for it but if you are in the area I highly recommend that you attend!

I was just wondering that too. When do we get access to SURFS, email, financial aid status, etc?

There's Welcome Day, orientation, and the White Coat Ceremony. Basic info for incoming students was linked in the acceptance email. But here's the link --> Incoming Students Link.

P.S. Grats to those accepted today!!!

Ok I take back the "i don't know what the townhomes are" for Fayette!

They are the 7 bedroom apartments in the Historic building...I just didn't know that was what they were called it!!

It's in historic, so all the things about Historic apply. The extra benefits about the 7 bedroom apartments is that your living room is HUGE (I've been inside my friend's) and there are 2 fridges! haha

I was just wondering that too. When do we get access to SURFS, email, financial aid status, etc?

I've been trying to reach someone regarding that for a while. Got a hold of Ms. Sharp today and she's in the process of setting up everyone's information. She asked when did I get my acceptance and it sounds like the first wave of acceptances will hear from her soon.

Hope that helps.

I have some info for my fellow waitlisters. There are around 80 people on the waitlist.
She said your wait list number does NOT correspond to rank. She said that a person far down the wait list may have a high evaluation score and therefore would be one of the first ones picked. SO your number is not an accurate way to determine rank.

I've sent a request to join a week ago, but I still can't view the group site... and I can't seem to find any way of contacting their facebook account either... :( Is this because I use my nickname for facebook which is different from the name they have on my application?

I have question to the students who got accepted.
When is the last day to put in deposit to save your seat??
So I could figure out when the school will send out alot of acceptance letter for people in the waiting list.

I think it depends on when the students got accepted. Everyone was granted 3 weeks(?) to submit the check. So it will vary since all students are not accepted on the same day.

So I could figure out when the school will send out alot of acceptance letter for people in the waiting list.

I think it depends on when the students got accepted. Everyone was granted 3 weeks(?) to submit the check. So it will vary since all students are not accepted on the same day.

my letter gave me 14 days or two weeks from the date of the acceptance letter.

I think I was accepted the last day before they started waitlisting (or very close to). I was accepted 3/29 and my deposit is due 4/9 -- so 11 days for me.

I have one prereq class that I might have to take before matriculation - can we take an online course that's offered through community colleges?

I have some info for my fellow waitlisters. There are around 80 people on the waitlist.
She said your wait list number does NOT correspond to rank. She said that a person far down the wait list may have a high evaluation score and therefore would be one of the first ones picked. SO your number is not an accurate way to determine rank.

Do you call to get your information? I responded to her email and left her a voicemail....to make sure I was on the waiting list. No responds back from her.

Has anyone had their tuition deposits cashed?

No, I have not. Do current students know when these will be cashed?

Also, I got a question for Maryland peoples. I'm looking for a course on public speaking and/or debate, preferably at UMCP or Montgomery College. I'm not having much luck though; all I've found at UMCP is "[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]COMM107 Oral Communication: Principles and Practices" and at Montgomery College is "[/SIZE].[/SIZE].INTRO TO HUMAN COMMUNICATION - SP 108." These are close, but not quite what I'm looking for, as I'm looking for specifically public speaking or debate, not just general communication. I called UMCP but they're not very helpful. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

Also, I got a question for Maryland peoples. I'm looking for a course on public speaking and/or debate, preferably at UMCP or Montgomery College. I'm not having much luck though; all I've found at UMCP is "[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]COMM107 Oral Communication: Principles and Practices" and at Montgomery College is "[/SIZE].[/SIZE].INTRO TO HUMAN COMMUNICATION - SP 108." These are close, but not quite what I'm looking for, as I'm looking for specifically public speaking or debate, not just general communication. I called UMCP but they're not very helpful. Anyone know anything? Thanks!

Hi Busyizzy,

Sp108 class is the speech class, so you go and give speech for almost all lecture periods. This class also have debate, group presentation, research presentation and other presentation projects thru out the semester. I hope this helps.
Thanks

Yeah that's the class I took. UMB hasn't informed us if there are any problems with prereqs yet, but I'm pretty sure that will satisfy their requirement as it is the required communications class for undergrads.

Hey All,
I did ask Ms.Sharp about our tution deposit. She told me that it will be cashed by mid April:)..

Yeah that's the class I took. UMB hasn't informed us if there are any problems with prereqs yet, but I'm pretty sure that will satisfy their requirement as it is the required communications class for undergrads.

I took SP 108, it will be fine. Also don't worry if they haven't cash your checks, it took a month or two for me to see it cashed. If in doubt just give them a call to see if they have recieved it.

i took COMM 107 at UMCP - easy class, mostly freshman though!

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Just got accepted into Baltimore from the waitlist. Very eager to see all my classmates!

Also, currently looking for a roomate to live with my friend and I.

Congrats on those who made it in from the waitlist!

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Just got accepted into Baltimore from the waitlist. Very eager to see all my classmates!

Also, currently looking for a roomate to live with my friend and I.

Congrats on those who made it in from the waitlist!

Yayy!! Me too!! Congrats!!! =)

i took COMM 107 at UMCP - easy class, mostly freshman though!
By farrrrrrrrrrrrr the easiest class I have ever taken. My TA told us exactly what would be on each exam.I studied for the final on the walk to class :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I started working 15-20 hours 1st semester, in addition to pledging a frat and being involved with school, but I'm a little crazy when it comes to having to be busy.

This semester I've cut back on work just because this semester is a lot more demanding than last semester. I only work 10-15 hours now, which is still kind of a lot.

Work definitely helps with abilities lab, even if you're not currently working. Just having the experience gives you one step ahead of your classmates and you don't have to study as much for weekly quizzes :)

Omg it took forever for checks to be cashed. I was ED, sent my check in in November/December and my check wasn't cashed until like July or August. So just remember to deduct it out of your account...

I took SP 108, it will be fine. Also don't worry if they haven't cash your checks, it took a month or two for me to see it cashed. If in doubt just give them a call to see if they have recieved it.

And you met meeeeeeeee!

We would love to have you here :love:. I chose SG because of the freedom, in terms of flexible schedule and the freedom of coming and going without worrying about parking and paying for parking (you are not confined to the campus). You'll be happy here, I promise, I know some classmates were hestitant at first but I don't know anyone who is at SG who would want to switch now. I know alot of people want me to switch campus, but I just can't do it (I love it here!).