University of Incarnate Word- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well guys I have officially been accepted to the FSOP program! I am a native san antonian, so if anyone has any questions about living areas and stuff feel free to msg me!

Also I am looking for a room mate in the near future if anyone is interested :D

Members don't see this ad.

Well guys I have officially been accepted to the FSOP program! I am a native san antonian, so if anyone has any questions about living areas and stuff feel free to msg me!

Congrats!!!!!:banana:

YAY UTSA! I'm so glad to you were accepted!! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanx everyone for their support!

I never received a receipt for my deposit either..

I have the book list for those that want it. Send me a message with your personal email so I can send you the excel file. I will put it into the older version of excel for those that haven't updated their office package software. Oh, this is also a good bit of advice to go ahead and update/purchase the office 2007 (2008 for mac) software for class b/c the profs don't put out files in earlier versions. You don't really need to purchase the full version b/c you won't be using publisher or entourage, just power point, word and excel. I almost forgot. Don't waste your money on a medical dictionary. HEB will come in for a forum, give you a free lunch and a medical dictionary about mid-way through the first semester. You won't really need one before then.

Do you think you could send me the book list if you don't mind. My email is [email protected]

Awesome Congrats!!!

thanx everyone for their support!
Congratulations! Since you are from SA, I am interested in renting a house--tell me what neighborhoods in NW, N, or N-central are good areas to look into. I want to stay away from ghettos and graffitis and any areas that are around condemned properties--I see alot of that around here in Houston. May sound harsh, but I am serious. Thanks for your input.

congrats, UTSA!!

-----------------------
What is the name of that complex at 1604 and Bandera, 2 bdrms for 700$ ?? everything I see in that area is expensive for the new places. All the good 1 bdrms are about 690$ for a nicer place.

Anyone receive their FinAid packet? I received mine today. I may have to take out private loans, it seems.

Anyone receive their FinAid packet? I received mine today. I may have to take out private loans, it seems.

Private loans? You shouldn't have to take those out save for a last resort. I know they were talking of raising the estimated cost of attendance for next year by a few thousand. With even two thousand more, you should have a healthy amount extra per semester to work with. If you haven't already done so, work out a monthly budget on the things you know how much you are going to be paying like rent, car insurance, credit cards, etc to see where you're at. The relative unknowns are gas, food, and utilities. The good thing is, the water and power companies here are government owned so they aren't trying to turn a huge profit. You can usually get away with about $30 or $40 a month MAX on water and about $80 or $90 on electricity and gas if you keep your thermostat set at a constant 75. Call the complex you are going to live at and ask them what the average costs are for the size unit you will be living in and that should help with estimating. Also, talk to the financial aid office as soon as possible so they can give you the best advice on what to do. You will want to get everything square with them as early as you can and not during the orientation week. That office will be slammed with undergrads that waited until the last minute.

Congratulations! Since you are from SA, I am interested in renting a house--tell me what neighborhoods in NW, N, or N-central are good areas to look into. I want to stay away from ghettos and graffitis and any areas that are around condemned properties--I see alot of that around here in Houston. May sound harsh, but I am serious. Thanks for your input.

In north and north central there are a bunch of areas that you could look into (briarwick, northern hills, eden, stone ridge) if you are looking for someplace right next to school it could get a little pricey because of the district the school is in..

Hey on financing for pharm school, did ya'll get enough to cover housing and living expenses???

Members don't see this ad :)
I filled out my financial aide form for UIW really early b/c this is where i had planned on going, I submitted it on Feb. 1. I hope I dont have to take out private loans, b/c no lender is going to give me any loans with my credit and not working...

Irish....damn man I'm buyin u a beer when I get there...if ur a drinker (which as a fellow irishman I'm sure you are) haha...way to look out for all us newcomers..you've been a huge help with everything..appreciate it!

Irish....damn man I'm buyin u a beer when I get there...if ur a drinker (which as a fellow irishman I'm sure you are) haha...way to look out for all us newcomers..you've been a huge help with everything..appreciate it!

LOL, why yes, I am a good Irishman. At times my blood type switched to Guinness or Belhaven! I am big on helping people out of situations that I got snagged by. Why not pass on the info and help people out that may not have known in the first place?

ditto to what Torkey said. Thanks Irishrxman!!!

I also got my financial aid packet today. I'm a little upset with the lack of subsidized loans... sigh.

My awards should be enough for the whole year, just will be living on a tight budget. Definitely considering a weekend job with very few hours during school just to have some money to go out and maybe buy something i like it..

I also got my financial aid packet today. I'm a little upset with the lack of subsidized loans... sigh.

My awards should be enough for the whole year, just will be living on a tight budget. Definitely considering a weekend job with very few hours during school just to have some money to go out and maybe buy something i like it..

When did you fill out your FAFSA?

When did you fill out your FAFSA?

About two weeks ago. I still received what the school could give me. I just wish the max subsidized loan the school was allowed to give out was higher.

Question for all: On the Grad PLUS Loan, no matter what bank you pull from, the rate will be 8.5% or will some lenders have a lower rate? Is there something about choosing a lender I should know before I pick one.. thanks for any help as I have NO idea what I am doing at this point. :confused:

That's a good question. I'm not sure either. Any ideas anyone?

I am in the same boat as all of you. I just got a letter today telling me that the bank I was going through is no longer going to service student loans anymore due to legislative changes and competition in the secondary market :mad:. I'll talk to some friends about who is a good lender to go through and get back to ya'll.

I talked with a friend and they go through the college loan corporation which supposedly is set up by the government and isn't a traditional bank. It supposedly was set up simply to disburse loans to students. That being said, my friend told me that they don't take as much in fees as other places do, which is nice. I'm going to talk to them and see what I can get. Here's the website if anyone is interested: http://www.collegeloan.com/default.aspx?cb=20

hey guys....i just got accepted and now i'm worried about how to pay for school? i read stuff about a finaid packet.....when do you get that?

also, i am having to adjust my FAFSA....does anyone know if you say in it that your in graduate school or what? i'm not sure since pharm school isn't a graduate program, but a professional program....i'm just really confused on how to go about getting financial aid....any advice?

thanks so much. :)

hey guys....i just got accepted and now i'm worried about how to pay for school? i read stuff about a finaid packet.....when do you get that?

also, i am having to adjust my FAFSA....does anyone know if you say in it that your in graduate school or what? i'm not sure since pharm school isn't a graduate program, but a professional program....i'm just really confused on how to go about getting financial aid....any advice?

I filled out my fafsa in april. In applying for financial aid, fill out the FAFSA first. Based on your answers regarding your financial status, a formula is applied to calculate estimated cost that you and/or your family can contribute to pay for school. This information is sent to the school. The school bases your financial need based on the FAFSA information and the estimated cost of attendance, then they put together a financial aid packet for you which will contain subsidized, unsubsidized, and GRAD plus loans information.

Pharm school is considered graduate when you fill out FAFSA.

I also had to adjust my FAFSA. Just change your status from undergraduate to graduate and fill out the rest accordingly. Add that you are working on a doctoral program and that you will be a 1st year graduate student. You'll get the financial aid packet after the school has submitted your acceptance to the financial aid office and they received your adjusted FAFSA. Again, once you send in FAFSA the school does the rest for you until you get your financial aid packet. Then the ball is in your hands again to choose a lender(s) to distribute your loans. Good luck! :)

I already sent this to those that asked me to send the book list. I just remembered I have a promotional code for one of the publishers that you have to purchase a few books from that gets you a 10 - 15% discount. Anyone else that wants the book list and this code just let me know. :D

I already sent this to those that asked me to send the book list. I just remembered I have a promotional code for one of the publishers that you have to purchase a few books from that gets you a 10 - 15% discount. Anyone else that wants the book list and this code just let me know. :D

can i have that info please? :)

1. La Fiesta
a. 495-520, 200 pet deposit
b. 2108240133
2. Waterford apartments
a. 582-645 per month (400 pet deposit)
b. 8224100
3. Greenbriar Apartments
a. 2108284200
4. Township Apartments
a. 2108224993
5. Broadway Place Apartments
a. 535 per month, 300 pet deposit, 100-250 upfront deposit
b. 2108284794
6. Ridgemont properties (has a bunch of condo’s, small houses, apartments for rent)
a. Treehouse (600/month, pets ok)
b. Bel-Aire (starts at 600’s
c. Chateaux Grove Apartments (starting at 500/month)
d. Colony House Apartments (start at 500’s)→2108221590
e. Chelsea apartments (start at 900’s)
f. Harrigan properties (start at 700’s)
g. Katherine Court (start in the 600’s),
h. Townsend place (starts in 700’s)
i. Townsend terrace apartments (start in 700’s)
j. 2108240888
7. Butterfield Apartments
a. $650-795
b. 2104219237
8. Oakview Properties
a. $500-595
b. 2104219237
9. Olmos Properties
a. $500-525
b. 2104219237
10. Tara Apartments
a. 2108240061
11. Bentwood place
a. $444
b. 2108281105
c. 412-484
12. Northwood
a. 445
b. 100 pet deposit
13. The Crecent
a. starts at 835
b. 2108225540
14. Pecan Hill Apartments
a. 8263048
15. Fox Run Apartments
a. 2108242970
b. start at 795
16. Woodlands Apartments
a. 2108268635
b. Start at 441
17. The forum at Lincoln heights
18. Spring Tree
a. 2108840343
19. Brighton Square

These are a whole bunch of apartments i found in the area... I am looking for one bedroom so those are the prices i have listed.. but i tried to find all the numbers for yall.. hope that helps :D

Hey, IrishRxMan could you please send me the book list and the code. Thank you so much. I am not sure how to get you my email address... Do I just post it like a regular message?

Just wanted to tell everyone who got accepted CONGRATS :) Can't wait to meet everyone!!!!!!!!!! I know a few ppl here are from San Anton and I was just wondering..... are the apts in Alamo Heights pretty close to campus??? I'm trying to get an apt as close as possible! Thanks!

Irish, can you please send the list and code to [email protected]ks man...also wierd question but do you know of any shooting ranges in the 281/1604 area? Thanks man

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone who got into the pharmacy school! I can't wait to meet you all in August.

Irish, can you please send the list and code to [email protected]ks man...also wierd question but do you know of any shooting ranges in the 281/1604 area? Thanks man

I don't know of any in that area, but the Bracken range is off Nacogdoches Rd. past 1604. 19140 Marbach Lane, 210-651-9009 is the addy and phone number. It's pretty cheap to go fire there and you can get there pretty quick. If you want to shoot shotgun at clay pigeons, there is a shooting club just north of campus a little bit. I think the name is Olmos Gun Club.

Hi everyone! I just got a call yesterday and I'm in!! I was wondering if you guys know where you are living yet and if anyone is looking for a "not messy" roommate!

also, good luck to everyone on the waitlist, i have a friend who got in August last year so dont give up, i'll pray for you guys! :)

hey Pharmgirl,

I know VitaminD , is looking for a roommate, contact her congrats!!

Hello, everyone. I just got a call yesterday. I am in!!!!! I am so excited! I can't wait to meet all of you. IrishRxMan: could you please email me the book list and code to [email protected] Thanks. Congratulations to everyone!!!!

Congrats to everyone that got a call today! hopefully there will be some more calls tomorrow!

I am also looking for a room mate if anyone is interested!

Hey IrishRxMan, I was wondering, how feasible is it to have a "life" outside of school on weekends. Ex: Being able to visit loved ones, and doing other fun things.

Hey IrishRxMan, I was wondering, how feasible is it to have a “life” outside of school on weekends. Ex: Being able to visit loved ones, and doing other fun things.

It is very feasible to have a life outside of pharmacy school. As long as you keep up with the material that is presented to you in lecture. That doesn't mean that you can go out Thursday, Friday and Saturday and get tore up like some did in undergrad. You will have tests and class on Fridays. Depending on how far away family is, you might be able to go back once or twice a month. Don't forget that you really do need to foster the social relationships that come outside of class with your fellow classmates. These will be your contemporaries and possibly your boss. Getting straight A's isn't all that will get you a job. You still have to be personable enough for the interviewer to like you and so you don't come off as exceptionally odd.

Can someone tell me where the financial aid office is located?

I was just there today.
go to the side of the main campus, make a left onto Broadway. stay on the right side and look for the BarB-q place. it is the building between the barbq place and the mcdonalds, right across the main campus. hope I said that right.
anyone can correct me, if you can explain better.

Can someone tell me where the financial aid office is located?

It's on the corner of Burr Rd. and Broadway across from the main campus. On the other side of Burr Rd. is Bill Miller's, the B-B-Q joint. When you walk in the front door, it's on the left. If they forget to mention it, you will have to fill out a student info sheet. It's mainly so they have a record of if you want someone else to have access to your financial aid records and who you wish to have that access.

RXDoctor, you weren't bad at the directions, just a little confusing maybe ;)

congrat to everyone that got accepted. i got mine on the 27th and i was asleep, lol. they called and i thought it was texas tech. i think liz was the one that called and she said no no no, we're UIW, hahaha. i was like crap, my bad. Anyway, just have a question, did anyone really got exempt or waived for the Cal base Physic or do you really have to take it. I went to talk to one of the advisor yesterday and she said that dr. coleman will waived the lab if you have taken general physics 1 and 2 and both labs. So im just wondering if anyone got waived so i can talk to them caused i have to take it as of right now. I would be really greatful for they reply.

Im not afraid to take the class but since the teacer at UTSA is super retarted and hard, i just didnt want to risk the chance.

Thanks ahead guys. and see yall in august.

Hey everyone!

I made a Facebook group so we can all get together on there to talk as well and put some faces to names. The link is http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=45101025242 I also linked it to the current general UIW pharmacy group so everyone can join that group too.

Huynguyen0727, I tried to get it waived as well, but they told me no because I only had algebra based physics. Good luck!

did they told you the lab was waived also? because they promise me that it will be waived as long as you took both physic 1 and 2 and both labs.

no waiver for me either. I have taken only regular physics I, but it also was the algebra based. I am taking Physics I, calc based this summer.