University of Incarnate Word- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha you're awesome! thanks for diggin around for us out of towners! Biopharm, that house she put on there looks pretty nice! might be what you're lookin for!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested - I probably won't be out there until the end of June at the earliest. Do you know anything about Castle Hills? I'm interested in it because the elementary school is supposed to be really good and it operates on a modified year-round schedule. My kids would have longer breaks to go and see their dad.

The only bad thing about the Castle Hills area is the traffic on 410 during peak hours. Although they did recently opened an interchange from 410 to 281. If you're concerned about schools, the Northeast Indep. School district is pretty good. If your kids are in high school or will enter HS while you're in pharmacy school then you might want to check out the area in MacArthur High School. It's not too far from the school. You could avoid the highway and take Broadway down to Hildebrand (but there is a lot of traffic in the morning).

Hey Torkey, out here that's low rent! I'm hoping that I'll be able to have my kids with me (I've got a custody fight to deal with in June :() so I'm looking at houses. I'll bet I'm going to be the oldest student in the class and the one who lives the farthest from campus. Housing there is so much cheaper than out here...I can't wait.

just curious may I ask how old are you? I was feeling a bit self conscious about my age (i'm 28) since I figured most of the students were in their early 20s.
ps good luck with the custody fight.

Members don't see this ad :)
this website might also be helpful to you out of towners:

www.mysa.com
this is a good way to find out what's happening in SA. there's also a link for real estate/housing.

Just took my last final as a University of Houston student. Kind of sad, but better things are coming my way. These times are always hard when you have to say good bye to the people you've met and have made some great relationships with... but new ones are on their way. Can't wait to meet you all. :)

Just took my last final as a University of Houston student. Kind of sad, but better things are coming my way. These times are always hard when you have to say good bye to the people you've met and have made some great relationships with... but new ones are on their way. Can't wait to meet you all. :)

I know I'm excited as well. :D

Ok, I've got a new question now..anyone know of a good orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist close by?? Im having knee surgery on June 11th and I need to find somewhere to follow up..anyone know of anything?

I'll check with my dad. He had knee surgery a couple of years ago and was happy with everything and he hasn't had problems since he finished his follow-up program. I think he went to one of the hospitals in the Medical Center complex.

I found some places that might be of interest. The following places are located in the Monte Vista neighborhood (located minutes away from school)

1. Upstairs Apt (208 E. Lullwood) 2 bedroom, 1 bath, dining room, 1000 sq. feet, comes with appliances. $895/month (this was really cute, had a lot of character) realtor is Leanna @ 632-6481
2. 2 BR Apt (E. RoseWood Ave) $1000/month (looks a little run down) 733-7705
3. Apt for lease (E. Rosewood Ave) I just saw the sign but looked fine. 736-7722

In my parents' neighborhood (Northern Hills) there's a house available for lease.
www.davidsonproperties.com It's the house on Fairway Oaks

I have pictures if anyone wants to see them just email me at [email protected]

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the link! Several of these look promising and the rents do too :).

The only bad thing about the Castle Hills area is the traffic on 410 during peak hours. Although they did recently opened an interchange from 410 to 281. If you're concerned about schools, the Northeast Indep. School district is pretty good. If your kids are in high school or will enter HS while you're in pharmacy school then you might want to check out the area in MacArthur High School. It's not too far from the school. You could avoid the highway and take Broadway down to Hildebrand (but there is a lot of traffic in the morning).

Thanks. I appreciate your help. I would like to be in the NEISD. Most of the elementary schools there use the same curriculum as the private school where she is now. I think that would make the transition easier for her. She turns 9 on Monday and my son just turned 5. I've heard a lot of good things about MacArthur HS. Thanks again.

I can't remember the name of the doc, but my sister got her meniscus removed and a slight repair by the same guy that works on all the Spurs players. I'll check with my parents to get his name.

just curious may I ask how old are you? I was feeling a bit self conscious about my age (i'm 28) since I figured most of the students were in their early 20s.
ps good luck with the custody fight.

I'm laughing as I write this because I'm way past you - I'll be 44 in July. I've had a whole previous life where I did research and worked for a scientific instrumentation company. I quit working when my daughter was born. I had been thinking about pharmacy as a second career when my husband left. So the last two years, I've been taking classes, working pt, getting divorced, and dealing with the after-effects of a tumor in my head and its removal.

I'm excited about the opportunities ahead. I am a bit apprehensive about the age thing but I've been the oldest in every class (except for a 55 yr old in A&P) the last two years. There's a broad age range of pharmacy students so there will probably be several in our class who are right around your age. Are you finishing school or have you been working for awhile?

I'm laughing as I write this because I'm way past you - I'll be 44 in July. I've had a whole previous life where I did research and worked for a scientific instrumentation company. I quit working when my daughter was born. I had been thinking about pharmacy as a second career when my husband left. So the last two years, I've been taking classes, working pt, getting divorced, and dealing with the after-effects of a tumor in my head and its removal.

I'm excited about the opportunities ahead. I am a bit apprehensive about the age thing but I've been the oldest in every class (except for a 55 yr old in A&P) the last two years. There's a broad age range of pharmacy students so there will probably be several in our class who are right around your age. Are you finishing school or have you been working for awhile?

Don't worry about your age. If this makes you feel any better my mom is almost 50 and is going to get her degree is Social Work this summer. She was accepted to the Master's program at Texas State University and english is her second language. Everyone has different paths and experiences. If anything, your experiences will be a great asset for our class! :)

wow, I dont know what the age range is for the previous classes, but we might be a bit older..
I am 31, and lived a pretty full life already, but this is still just the beginning!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just turned 21 about 3 weeks ago!

Ahh you're just a baby. :D I can say that b/c my "little" brother just turned 21 and I still think of a him as a kid.

i am 65 and class of 2012!
still going strong!

The class of 2010 is a little older than the class of 2011. I'd say average age for the class of 2010 is about 29 and the average age of my class is about 24. Both classes have a few that will turn 21 in the P2 year or later and people that are married, have kids and are right at 40 to 50 years old. The class of 2010 has more people in their late 20s and 30s. I think they like to have an even spread of ages...or age could have nothing to do with it. Who knows but the adcom?

Ahh you're just a baby. :D I can say that b/c my "little" brother just turned 21 and I still think of a him as a kid.

that's funny. I'm turning 21 this july. Many people think it's a joke that i'm going to pharmacy school...oh well.

that's funny. I'm turning 21 this july. Many people think it's a joke that i'm going to pharmacy school...oh well.

They didn't tell you? It's a late April Fool's joke! j/k

24 here...took me 6 years of pre reqs after HS haha

san antonio residents,
I am finding some really nice places at Bitters and 281 on east and west sides of 281, what is your opinon of that area? safety? people? drive times? grocery stores? things of that matter..
I know I asked about the street before, all my searches keep taking me to this area, just needed someone live to give me some input. thanks.

oh, and another thing for current students, how much am I going to pay to tuition total for the first year, roughly?? just tuition, books, and all school related costs.

san antonio residents,
I am finding some really nice places at Bitters and 281 on east and west sides of 281, what is your opinon of that area? safety? people? drive times? grocery stores? things of that matter..
I know I asked about the street before, all my searches keep taking me to this area, just needed someone live to give me some input. thanks.

oh, and another thing for current students, how much am I going to pay to tuition total for the first year, roughly?? just tuition, books, and all school related costs.

They increase the tuition for each class, but you are locked into that price for the entire four years, from what I understand. I think you guys will be paying either 27K or 27.5K. I pay 26K a year in tuition, about $500 to $1000 for the first year's books and there's a number of other charges. Per semester it's $100 for parking, which that is another issue, I think either a $250 or $500 a semester pharmacy fee, your insurance if you don't have personal health insurance which is about $350 a semester and the dues for APhA/SNPhA/TPA/BCPA are possibly going to be included as a charge you can opt out of but I would spend the $85 at least the first year and see how you like the organization. I think that's all the fees tossed in. Oh, and they are increasing the expected cost of attendance so you can take out more in loans this year which is nice.

That area of 281 is nice and it's not too bad for traffic in getting to school. With apartments anywhere you will have some criminal element in the area, but those have a lower percentage. There's a lot around that area and it's not bad to go downtown, probably about 20 min once you get on 281 to a parking garage. HEB, our local grocery store, is pretty good about putting stores in good areas so I'm sure there's one pretty close.

I didn't see this thread!

So where is everyone planning to stay? I'll feel better once I know where I wanna stay! :)

hey IrishRXman!

Where do most of the pharmacy students stay..and also, which apartments/campus housing are really close to campus? Thanks!

jk, you are gonna have to scroll up... that's pretty much what we have been talking about.
since we have to pay for parking, maybe Ill get an RV and live in the garage! it's my spot right?? cant get any closer than that, and never worry about traffic, does anyone know if they make 2 story RV's??? just kidding...

I heard from a current student that they're going to have problems with parking. Like there isnt enough now, let alone when an another entire class comes in...any truth to this? what are they gonna do about it?

hey IrishRXman!

Where do most of the pharmacy students stay..and also, which apartments/campus housing are really close to campus? Thanks!

Yea, if I can't find a roommate and have to live on my own, it would be nice to live somewhere with classmates nearby at least since I've never lived on my own before :oops: but it should be a great experience...i hope :D

Yea, if I can't find a roommate and have to live on my own, it would be nice to live somewhere with classmates nearby at least since I've never lived on my own before :oops: but it should be a great experience...i hope :D

I know that four Kappa Psi brothers are going to be living in a complex called The Crescent next year and I'm seriously looking at that place to move in myself. Other than that, we are all scattered as far as off-campus living.

Yes, parking is a huge issue that is not going to be fixed before you guys start in the fall. We pushed and pushed for some resolution, but it just won't happen before the spring semester starts. There has been no ground broken for additional parking as of today when I was at the school. We haven't been told what is going to be done about it other than parking is going to be difficult. We are a new school and there will be growing pains. From what was explained to us, the cost of building the school went from $10 million for all they wanted to $20 million for less than they wanted b/c the building supplies and labor costs went through the roof due to Katrina. It was a situation of either you build it or not and they needed a building so they chopped off a larger student center/cafeteria, auditorium and parking garage space of three floors that would have been more than enough. The good thing is, professors, save for Dr. J, don't have parking spaces that are their own. Dr. J's isn't marked but God help you if you park in the cubby hole spot next to the elevator on the first floor.

hey IrishRXman!

There is a huge amount of apartments close to campus, but it depends on how much you're willing to spend and if you have a roommate to offset the cost. There is a huge grouping of complexes off a street called Vista Del Norte by the T-intersection of Wurzbach parkway and Blanco Rd. just north of 410. There's at least one place I'm looking at for myself in that area. It should take no more than about twenty minutes with traffic to get to the school in the morning from that particular area.

Any areas of interest to check out while visiting next week? We'll be looking for a place to live during the day but want to find somethin to do at night. Any suggestions?

hey irishrxman - what's the schedule like for P1? What time do classes start and end? Are there any days of the week we're off? Just curious.
Thanks.

Any areas of interest to check out while visiting next week? We'll be looking for a place to live during the day but want to find somethin to do at night. Any suggestions?

I don't know what your tastes are, but there's always the riverwalk. You can also check out www.mysa.com to see what is going on around town. We do have the My Body exhibit at the Witte museum down Broadway from the main campus. If you get your student ID made before you go, you just have to pay for the exhibit admission, not museum admission as well.

Hello Members, I just joined up today and I have been trying very hard to get into pharmacy college lately. Western almost told me that if I took genetics and Organic chemistry lab ii and one more course in something, I probably would be accepted. But cost of living is very high in CA compared to Ohio. However, I totally ignored this direction since I am in Cleveland, Ohio and almost finished doing my MBA concentrating in health care management ( Dec of 08). My GPA in MBA is lot higher (3.53) than the under-graduation. I also invested in real estate and build great houses from age of 27 to age 34.

Now that is the problem, due to being in United States totally on my own from age of 19 has created some effects. Meaning one time I felt home sick and did not drop classes whereas I needed to and ended up getting F's in my transcripts. I did not go to classes or took any exams those two semesters. However, whenever I attended with seriousness I received B+ and A's. Also I completed majority of my course work about 10 years ago and my advisor who was very understanding granted me a degree in 2005 in Biology where I had to finish up 2.5 half semesters worth of classes.

Anyhow, while I am doing full time MBA, I took PCAT( last year in October, 07) and did horrible in it. I only scored 60% in biology and rest is very low. My undergraduate cumulatitive GPA is 2.96 due to the very stupid mistakes of not dropping those two semesters worth of classes. Therefore, my only way to the pharmacy college is doing well in PCAT. I went to Kaplan for it and did not do well last time since I also had to carry 3 classes in MBA. Now I am thinking about taking it over the summer again with two MBA ( I must since I will be done in December) classes. I think with my communicative GPA now would be somewhere around 3.2 or something. What should I do? I do not want to let my Biology degree go to a waste since whenever I paid attention, I did well. Then again I am 35 now and should I go for more degree in finance ( I do not like), accounting ( very dry) and MBA or should I pursue pharmacy since I would like to use my Biology degree which I worked very hard for.

hey irishrxman - what's the schedule like for P1? What time do classes start and end? Are there any days of the week we're off? Just curious.
Thanks.

They've changed the P1 schedule up so I don't know exactly what time you guys start, but I think it's going to be 8 or 8:30 in the morning until noon or one for lecture. You will have two or three days out of the week for labs. They are still deciding if the A&P lab is going to be rolled into the lecture or kept as a separate lab. If there's three labs, you'll have one afternoon off a week and you will have Friday classes, probably in the afternoon.

Hello Members, I just joined up today and I have been trying very hard to get into pharmacy college lately. Western almost told me that if I took genetics and Organic chemistry lab ii and one more course in something, I probably would be accepted. But cost of living is very high in CA compared to Ohio. However, I totally ignored this direction since I am in Cleveland, Ohio and almost finished doing my MBA concentrating in health care management ( Dec of 08). My GPA in MBA is lot higher (3.53) than the under-graduation. I also invested in real estate and build great houses from age of 27 to age 34.

Now that is the problem, due to being in United States totally on my own from age of 19 has created some effects. Meaning one time I felt home sick and did not drop classes whereas I needed to and ended up getting F's in my transcripts. I did not go to classes or took any exams those two semesters. However, whenever I attended with seriousness I received B+ and A's. Also I completed majority of my course work about 10 years ago and my advisor who was very understanding granted me a degree in 2005 in Biology where I had to finish up 2.5 half semesters worth of classes.

Anyhow, while I am doing full time MBA, I took PCAT( last year in October, 07) and did horrible in it. I only scored 60% in biology and rest is very low. My undergraduate cumulatitive GPA is 2.96 due to the very stupid mistakes of not dropping those two semesters worth of classes. Therefore, my only way to the pharmacy college is doing well in PCAT. I went to Kaplan for it and did not do well last time since I also had to carry 3 classes in MBA. Now I am thinking about taking it over the summer again with two MBA ( I must since I will be done in December) classes. I think with my communicative GPA now would be somewhere around 3.2 or something. What should I do? I do not want to let my Biology degree go to a waste since whenever I paid attention, I did well. Then again I am 35 now and should I go for more degree in finance ( I do not like), accounting ( very dry) and MBA or should I pursue pharmacy since I would like to use my Biology degree which I worked very hard for.

jk, you are gonna have to scroll up... that's pretty much what we have been talking about.

haha wow yes you have! sorry I missed that

There is a huge amount of apartments close to campus, but it depends on how much you're willing to spend and if you have a roommate to offset the cost. There is a huge grouping of complexes off a street called Vista Del Norte by the T-intersection of Wurzbach parkway and Blanco Rd. just north of 410. There's at least one place I'm looking at for myself in that area. It should take no more than about twenty minutes with traffic to get to the school in the morning from that particular area.

Well I think my parents want me as close to campus as I can be, regardless of the price. Atleast for the first year..then maybe I can move to a more reasonable place after. So what is this pricey apartment complex you are talking about? so is there campus housing, and then regular housing. I'm sorry I just see a bunch of random names of apartment complexes and I don't know where any of them are and whether they are on campus housing or off campus. I never got a chance to check the area out.

Also how do we get our email address for the school?
And when does class start?

Thanks!! :D

First off, your age will have nothing to do with your getting into a pharmacy school. There's a good number of people attending my school that are in their 40s and 50s. Second, if you undergrad is not so hot, it's understandable. I don't know which schools you have applied for or how many. There is some system called PharmCAS that several schools subscribe to. Your woes from undergrad can be understood and most adcoms will take that into consideration if you tell them about what the problem was. I would call up the schools you are interested in and talk to someone like one of the counsellors and see what your chances are of getting in.

haha wow yes you have! sorry I missed that

Well I think my parents want me as close to campus as I can be, regardless of the price. Atleast for the first year..then maybe I can move to a more reasonable place after. So what is this pricey apartment complex you are talking about? so is there campus housing, and then regular housing. I'm sorry I just see a bunch of random names of apartment complexes and I don't know where any of them are and whether they are on campus housing or off campus. I never got a chance to check the area out.

Also how do we get our email address for the school?
And when does class start?

Thanks!! :D

On campus is most likely booked by now, but you will have to call campus life to find out about that. There's a place called The Townshend behind the Bill Miller's BBQ on Broadway and Burr Rd. and on Hildebrand west of the school is a place called I think Rosemont. Those are going to be the closest complexes. On the other side of the Quarry is the Quarry Townhomes for lease, The Crescent and The Keystone. There's a very expensive place that overlooks the Quarry golf course called The Meridian, but you'll be paying much more than $1.50 to $2 a square foot.

since we have to pay for parking, maybe Ill get an RV and live in the garage! it's my spot right?? cant get any closer than that, and never worry about traffic, does anyone know if they make 2 story RV's??? just kidding...

You could get a pop-up trailer ha ha. I knew a grad student in Oregon who used his parent's RV trailer as his housing. He rented a space at the RV lot out by the fairgrounds. He did it for 4 or 5 years. I wouldn't last nearly that long.

Hi,

Some of the pharm schools want to see math and science coursework done within the last ten, or even five, years. I was a biology major and studied molecular biology in grad school. But I was done with all of that by 1989. I had never taken A&P & labs or Microbiology so I took those at a community college out here. I took Organic Chem and the labs last summer at the University here. I also took biochemistry again. No school would have considered me with a 20+ year old organic grade. However, the schools I applied to all told me that they would waive the requirement for recent Gen'l Chem & lab, Physics, and Gen'l Biology. I don't remember if there were any other entry level science courses that I didn't have to retake. When I spoke with counselors at the schools, I was already almost done with all of the the Organic Chemistry last summer so I was able to tell them how I'd done in that. Oh, I didn't have to retake statistics but I am just finishing up calculus. Some schools wanted that to be current.

If you already have an undergrad degree, some schools will then waive their specific general ed requirements. Some schools, don't however, so I have also taken speech, English comp, psychology, etc. the past couple of years because I didn't take them as an undergrad.

Taking classes now and doing well can be reflective of your current capabilities. It also puts you in contact with science professors. I took pharmacology and then did volunteer work in the pharmacy where the teacher worked. I got lucky and did extremely well on the PCAT so I am sure that helped. I did, however, get an interview at one school that doesn't require the PCAT and so they hadn't seen my scores. So the test wasn't something they considered.

Hello, does anyone know where I can take Physics I(calculus base) in summer II (the second half of this summer)? any schools in San Antonio? I can not find any in Austin, Houston, or Killeen.

UT,

I had the SAME problem! I just went and signed up for Phys II for the first half because no where offered it in Houston... had to cancel a trip to Vegas I paid for a couple months ago because of it. :(

I am sorry for your cancelling trip, Pharm0487. I might have to take it in Houston too. I found one class for the first half of summer in Tomball college. Are you taking it in HCC? It will be great if i can find Physics I at Austin for Summer I.

UT,

I had the SAME problem! I just went and signed up for Phys II for the first half because no where offered it in Houston... had to cancel a trip to Vegas I paid for a couple months ago because of it. :(

I am taking Physics I at Lonestar College in North Harris starting June 2nd to July 8th. It is called Heat and Mechanics. I called UIW and got the "OK" that it will satisfy the credit. It starts at 7:30 in the morning and ends at 11:40 because of the lab.. I would have taken the 12 week course but the final is during orientation for us. I'll just have to stick this one out! I was looking at HCC, but the Lonestar system (formerly known as NHMCCD) is closer to where I live (The Woodlands). Good luck!

Sorry I meant to say Physics I in the first message! No way will I be taking Physics II :) ...it is pretty much my kryptonite :D