Hampton University Pharmacy Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briscoea13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!! Just wanted to get a page started for the next upcoming pharmacy class cycle. Is there anyone applying to Hampton's pharmacy school for Fall 2018? Also any tips and advice you would like to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey I am getting everything together to apply for the 2018 cycle. My goal is to finish my app and turn it in early November since I am studying for the September PCAT. I'm so nervous and stressed about the admissions process, just praying that I get in! Hampton is my first choice! I wish you luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I am getting everything together to apply for the 2018 cycle. My goal is to finish my app and turn it in early November since I am studying for the September PCAT. I'm so nervous and stressed about the admissions process, just praying that I get in! Hampton is my first choice! I wish you luck!
I am stressed too! lol we're in the same boat. I take the PCAT next Wednesday the 19th so hopefully that goes well. Hampton is also my first choice. Where are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am stressed too! lol we're in the same boat. I take the PCAT next Wednesday the 19th so hopefully that goes well. Hampton is also my first choice. Where are you from?

Originally from South Carolina but I have been living in Texas for the past 3 years . Good luck on your PCAT. I hope you get a good score. I wanted to take the July one but I was unprepared so Im studying for the September one. It is good to do everything as early as possible, I wish I was ready for the July one. Where are you from???

Originally from South Carolina but I have been living in Texas for the past 3 years . Good luck on your PCAT. I hope you get a good score. I wanted to take the July one but I was unprepared so Im studying for the September one. It is good to do everything as early as possible, I wish I was ready for the July one. Where are you from???
Born and raised in Mississippi ! I went to school and Xavier in New Orleans and now I am an Southern Miss in Mississippi. You're a chem major? Thank you and good luck to you too on yours! I'm praying that we all get in. If you don't mind I have a question about the application. Are you typing your answers to the app or writing them out? And since we both are considered transfers do you know if we also have to complete the transfer essay? I think if we help one another through the way the process will be easier let me know if you need any help of reading/ giving feed back on your personal statement or whatever you can read mine also I just got mine proofread and correct by my English teacher. Feel free to text me too it'll be nice to talk with you!!!!

Didn't this school just get on probation for terrible NAPLEX scores?

Didn't this school just get on probation for terrible NAPLEX scores?
Born and raised in Mississippi ! I went to school and Xavier in New Orleans and now I am an Southern Miss in Mississippi. You're a chem major? Thank you and good luck to you too on yours! I'm praying that we all get in. If you don't mind I have a question about the application. Are you typing your answers to the app or writing them out? And since we both are considered transfers do you know if we also have to complete the transfer essay? I think if we help one another through the way the process will be easier let me know if you need any help of reading/ giving feed back on your personal statement or whatever you can read mine also I just got mine proofread and correct by my English teacher. Feel free to text me too it'll be nice to talk with you!!!!
Hey, I just finished my personal statement also. Haven't gotten it proofread yet but I would definitely love to get your number so we can discuss it more. I am a bio major, chem minor. Since I have good handwriting, I am writing mine out but the personal statement will be typed of course. IDK about the transfer essay I was going to call and ask. Im also confused about whether we have to do the undergrad application? I think we have to do both undergrad and pharm application sheets but Im unsure. I am excited I have a friend to go through this journey with. Maybe we can even be roommates?! Who knows? But I am doing my best and giving the rest to GOD. Im sure we will both get in!

Hey, I just finished my personal statement also. Haven't gotten it proofread yet but I would definitely love to get your number so we can discuss it more. I am a bio major, chem minor. Since I have good handwriting, I am writing mine out but the personal statement will be typed of course. IDK about the transfer essay I was going to call and ask. Im also confused about whether we have to do the undergrad application? I think we have to do both undergrad and pharm application sheets but Im unsure. I am excited I have a friend to go through this journey with. Maybe we can even be roommates?! Who knows? But I am doing my best and giving the rest to GOD. Im sure we will both get in!
I called them last week about that. We have to do the undergrad app since we are transfers. We do not have to complete the transfer essay. But you should call also let me know if they tell you otherwise. YES! Definitely could be roommates. I will send you my number and we can chat and keep in contact throughout this journey

ok. Thanks for letting me know and yeah I will call them tomorrow just to ask. I just sent you my number.

I Am also applying to Hampton! I am from New York City. This is very exciting. I took the Pcat and my composite score is a 47, do you think they will overlook the PCAT?

I Am also applying to Hampton! I am from New York City. This is very exciting. I took the Pcat and my composite score is a 47, do you think they will overlook the PCAT?
I don't think the PCAT plays a major role for Hampton. I'm not sure what my composite percentile is. I scored a 400. To answer your question I think they will look into other things over the pcat

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everybody :) I'm working on the required pre-reqs now, and plan on taking the PCAT in November. For those of you that have already taken the PCAT do you have any tips or advice? I'll be applying for this coming Fall, but won't be done with the pre-reqs til this summer....I hoping my 8 years of being a pharmacy technician and letter of recommendations will make up for not having my pre-reqs completed yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody :) I'm working on the required pre-reqs now, and plan on taking the PCAT in November. For those of you that have already taken the PCAT do you have any tips or advice? I'll be applying for this coming Fall, but won't be done with the pre-reqs til this summer....I hoping my 8 years of being a pharmacy technician and letter of recommendations will make up for not having my pre-reqs completed yet.
Hey! I would say really know your chemistry and biology. It was pretty in depth. It could be overwhelming if you've never took a long test like that before. I would advise a good study prep program or book. You have experience so that's good 8 years is a long time. Good luck!

Hey! I would say really know your chemistry and biology. It was pretty in depth. It could be overwhelming if you've never took a long test like that before. I would advise a good study prep program or book. You have experience so that's good 8 years is a long time. Good luck!
Thank you! Good luck to you as well! I have a couple prep books, that I've been reviewing and I'm thinking of purchasing a couple of the practice test from the PCAT website. I was reading through some of the previous comments, so transfer students do not need to complete a transfer essay, just a personal statement?

Thank you! Good luck to you as well! I have a couple prep books, that I've been reviewing and I'm thinking of purchasing a couple of the practice test from the PCAT website. I was reading through some of the previous comments, so transfer students do not need to complete a transfer essay, just a personal statement?
Yes! You don't have to do the transfer essay just the personal statement

Has anyone started their personal statements yet? I'm having a hard time starting mine :/

I was wondering, is anyone here debating between pharmacy and med school? I'm at a crossroads. I've always been interested in becoming a pharmacist but after talking to two of the staff pharmacist I work with (including the pharmacy manager), I'm now reconsidering. They've both said the direction pharmaceuticals is headed is toward more cooperate greed than patient care and if given the knowledge they know now they would have gone to med school all those years ago instead of pharmacy school. They also said that there are more Pharmacist graduating than there are job positions...this scares me a little, I don't want to be head high in student loan debt and no job to pay it back. What do you guys think? All this information has me questioning which way to go.

I was wondering, is anyone here debating between pharmacy and med school? I'm at a crossroads. I've always been interested in becoming a pharmacist but after talking to two of the staff pharmacist I work with (including the pharmacy manager), I'm now reconsidering. They've both said the direction pharmaceuticals is headed is toward more cooperate greed than patient care and if given the knowledge they know now they would have gone to med school all those years ago instead of pharmacy school. They also said that there are more Pharmacist graduating than there are job positions...this scares me a little, I don't want to be head high in student loan debt and no job to pay it back. What do you guys think? All this information has me questioning which way to go.

There are more than just retail pharmacy opportunities available. Many Pharmacists go into clinical settings, research settings, pharmacy ownership or decide to specialize. Retail will pay the best, but I have also heard that there's a lot of corporate greed. It's also a lot harder to get into Medical school than Pharmacy school - especially at Hampton.

There are more than just retail pharmacy opportunities available. Many Pharmacists go into clinical settings, research settings, pharmacy ownership or decide to specialize. Retail will pay the best, but I have also heard that there's a lot of corporate greed. It's also a lot harder to get into Medical school than Pharmacy school - especially at Hampton.
Thank you, what do you think about being a pharmacist for the military?

Thank you, what do you think about being a pharmacist for the military?
I totally agree with her. I think that would be great. I have been in the military for 3 years now and if accepted into pharmacy school everything will be taken care of. My bachelors was free bc of this. I love it

I totally agree with her. I think that would be great. I have been in the military for 3 years now and if accepted into pharmacy school everything will be taken care of. My bachelors was free bc of this. I love it
Awesome! I think that's the route I'm looking at, once I graduate I'm going to become a military pharmacist.

Anybody got an interview yet?
I have yet to hear back from them. I have called and emailed multiple times....when i did get one email response a week ago they said that they were going to start letting transfer students know if they got an interview....so i wonder if they actually did or not.

I had my interview on March 5th and i'm waiting to hear back now. Has anyone heard back?

Just curious if any of you have seen the pass rates for Hampton. Among the very worst.

I had my interview on March 5th and i'm waiting to hear back now. Has anyone heard back?
I had my interview March 16th and I had called Monday and Tuesday. They called me back yesterday and said letters were being sent out in the mail. So you may be receiving it soon hopefully.

I received my letter of acceptance! I wish everyone the best of luck!

Just curious if any of you have seen the pass rates for Hampton. Among the very worst.
That is very disappointing, but these test scores are under the old Dean, Dr. Harris. I have spoken with Dr. Iyer and I believe he is on the right track to a better NAPLEX Pass rate. The school is also being more selective with their acceptance and putting programs in place to practice NAPLEX and revise areas of weakness. The Hampton Univ Pre-Pharmacy program will also be revised in the next year or so to include 3 years of study before entering the Pharmacy School. I look forward to seeing 2018 test results!

That is very disappointing, but these test scores are under the old Dean, Dr. Harris. I have spoken with Dr. Iyer and I believe he is on the right track to a better NAPLEX Pass rate. The school is also being more selective with their acceptance and putting programs in place to practice NAPLEX and revise areas of weakness. The Hampton Univ Pre-Pharmacy program will also be revised in the next year or so to include 3 years of study before entering the Pharmacy School. I look forward to seeing 2018 test results!
So Hampton is looking at a 3+4 year program and probably students would need to complete a PGY1 residency to be competitive in the job market? 8 years of school...can't wait to see who signs up for those loans.

So Hampton is looking at a 3+4 year program and probably students would need to complete a PGY1 residency to be competitive in the job market? 8 years of school...can't wait to see who signs up for those loans.

This is not unheard of, in fact most schools already have a 3 year pre-Pharm program and many people complete a 4 year degree before making the decision to enter Pharm-D school. Having been around many P1 students who are only 20-21 years old, not only are many not academically prepared for a Doctorate level program, many are not mature enough and struggle through the first year. I think it is a good move for Hampton, but HU is very expensive, so students may want to rethink their choice in schools. I do not have a choice, if I want to go to Pharmacy School, because of my circumstances.

This is not unheard of, in fact most schools already have a 3 year pre-Pharm program and many people complete a 4 year degree before making the decision to enter Pharm-D school. Having been around many P1 students who are only 20-21 years old, not only are many not academically prepared for a Doctorate level program, many are not mature enough and struggle through the first year. I think it is a good move for Hampton, but HU is very expensive, so students may want to rethink their choice in schools. I do not have a choice, if I want to go to Pharmacy School, because of my circumstances.
It is your money so do what makes you happy.

Hey guys, if anyone is gonna be looking for roommate this fall, let me know

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

why would anyone wanna go to a school with such a terrible NAPLEX pass rate?
Been trying to figure that out as well. Cannot get a good answer other than hyperbole.

I'm looking for a roommate off campus if anyone is also looking for a roommate. I've been accepted for fall 2018.

For those that got accepted into Hampton School of Pharmacy, I say a big congrats to y'all. I'm positive of the fact that the experiences garnered within your 4 year student career with HUSOP is going to shape you all into seasoned Doctors.
HUSOP is a cultured, vigilant and progressive citadel of learning and Dean Iyer et al. are poised on taking it even to greater heights. NAPLEX scores are gonna improve as strategic pre-naplex measures has been put in place. Class of 2018 graduates have been great thus far on their individual Naplex and we hope they all perform excellently well as a group.
Having said that, are you looking for a roommate off but close by campus or an apartment for rent? I'll be glad to be of great assistance.
DM me: 8047144233

Last edited:
why would anyone wanna go to a school with such a terrible NAPLEX pass rate?

Hello guys, I have couches for sale and bed for any incoming P1s DM

This school has been on probation for many years

Annnnnd they just got their accreditation pulled.

Any students care to give us a summary of what’s happening over there?