University of Hawaii at Hilo COP - Applicants for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone (including my parents) tells me I have to have a car in Hilo. Some of the reasons mentioned include the frequent rain and lack of reliable public transportation. Since you haven't started pharmacy school yet you may not know the answer to my question but here it is: do first year P1 students have any activities etc. that require driving far out of Hilo? As an avid runner/cyclist, I was thinking I might be ok without a car until we start working in the field - possibly our 2nd year? I know I need to find out more details so any you know would be appreciated!

Hoping to rent a house convenient to campus. Are there any websites you recommend to search for housing?

Thx for your help - I know I will have a LOT more ?'s in the coming months...:D

I would DEFINATELY recommend you getting a car or some type of transportation! we do start rotations as P1's so you will have to find a way to get to the rotations and i know the bus system has a specific schedule that might not always fit your schedule.

as far as finding an apartment or house i would suggest looking on craigslist. there is an apartment complex directly accross the college called tobhi hale and it is relatively cheap and literally just accross the street. if you are not planning on having a car just know that 5 miles away from campus is rather far away from everything and i wouldnt recommend it. i would stay away from the plams apartment complex accross the street from campus because i have heard that it is rather loud and hard to study. the UH hilo website has apartment listings that you could look at. honestly i would not recommend on campus housing!
if you find a couple people to rent a house it would be much cheaper.
you can try searching ginozarealty.com they have quite a bit of listings.

i think you will have a lot of fun running and biking around town and if you dont mind biking to school in the rain almost every other day than maybe you dont need a car.

feel free to ask me any other questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been following this thread even though I won't be applying until next year. I do have a question that I have had trouble finding the answer to with regards to residency: If you move to Hawaii with your spouse, and your spouse obtains residency (registers to vote, changes drivers' license, obtains a job, the kids are in school), will you then be counted as a resident, even though you are in school? Just curious.

Congrats to all of the new acceptances, and :xf: to the waitlisters.

pinksparkly,

I don't know the answer to your question but here are some FAQS regarding residency that may help you research your prospects:

http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/admissions/residency-faq.php

After reviewing it, you may want to call or email the residency officer at Hilo for more specific information.

Hey Forest, I have also been accepted to Hilo Hawaii College of Pharmacy. I have lived with my parents through my undergraduate/pre-pharmacy years. Still thinking if I should live on the campus or off campus depending on the cost. I am also looking for some one to room with. I am pretty layed back, not a party person and I stick to my studies. congrats on your acceptance. I am also shipping my car out to Hawaii which cost about $1800. Looking forwar in hearing form you.

Congrats on your acceptance! As a new member, why don't you tell us a bit about yourself..Here are a few things about me:

I've lived in Florida all my life.

I just graduated from FSU with a B.S. in Chemical Science.

Working out is a BIG party of my life - long distance running, ultimate frisbee, football, etc. and I just took up cycling.

I don't cook but I've very adept at microwaving!

I like to stay up late so I'm not an early riser by choice but I adapt to my environment (ex. I never missed an early class even if I had to forgo sleep)

Though I don't know where I'll be living yet, I know it will be off campus - preferably in a house. I've been doing some preliminary research on possible locations close to campus. Depending on the size, I may be looking for one or two roommates so we can discuss possibilities as it gets closer. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Forest, I have lived in Wisconsin my whole life with my parents to save money. I have been at UW-Milwaukee for 5 years to complete my pre-pharmacy work. I will also be receiving my B.S in Biology in Spring 2010. I like to go for long walks, work out on my bowflex, video game, dance , act, and like to kite fly. I am not a morning person myself but adjust when I have to. I am not a sports type of person, but I like to keep up in baseball and football sports from time to time. I am either looking for on or off campus housing in whatever works best for me.:cool:

pinksparkly,

I don't know the answer to your question but here are some FAQS regarding residency that may help you research your prospects:

http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/admissions/residency-faq.php

After reviewing it, you may want to call or email the residency officer at Hilo for more specific information.
It's essentially impossible to attain Hawaii residency for tuition purposes if you have not lived in Hawaii prior to matriculating to pharmacy school. It has been pursued pretty heavily by several of my classmates, but none got anywhere with it. There IS the option of marrying a Hawaiian to attained it however :smuggrin:.

? for current students at Hilo COP:

Did you secure housing before you arrived for classes or when you got there? Since I've never been to Hilo, I'm hesitant to pick a place basically sight unseen but if I wait till I get there will there be anything left?

Any input appreciated - Thanks!:D

hey forrest,

i've also been doing some apartment/house hunting and this is the site that's on the university's website:

http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/housing/offcampus/

there's also on campus housing, but reading from other ppl posts, i wouldn't live there...

i'm thinking about living in the waiakea lagoon apartments. anyone know of any pros/cons of the apartment? and any other suggestions?

Kern,

Found this review of the waiakea lagoon apartments from 9/09:

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/Hawaii/Hilo/Waiakea-Lagoon-View-Apartments-r79972.htm

Granted it is only one person's opinion but it isn't pretty!:eek:

Maybe others here are familiar with the place and can offer their opinions....

Kern,

Found this review of the waiakea lagoon apartments from 9/09:

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/Hawaii/Hilo/Waiakea-Lagoon-View-Apartments-r79972.htm

Granted it is only one person's opinion but it isn't pretty!:eek:

Maybe others here are familiar with the place and can offer their opinions....
Waiakea Lagoon is alright. The nicest place you will find, and even by mainland standards as 'nice' would be Hale Haumana - the new Tohbi Hale apartments. You can reserve a spot there without hesitation, even without visiting it first. That's my advice on the housing issue. Once you're here you can explore other options. This place is also nice as it's a month to month contract, so you have the most flexibility in your choices. Also it's location is one of the best, much better then Waiakea lagoon atleast, you could walk to school everyday from Hale Haumana.

Waiakea Lagoon is alright. The nicest place you will find, and even by mainland standards as 'nice' would be Hale Haumana - the new Tohbi Hale apartments. You can reserve a spot there without hesitation, even without visiting it first. That's my advice on the housing issue. Once you're here you can explore other options. This place is also nice as it's a month to month contract, so you have the most flexibility in your choices. Also it's location is one of the best, much better then Waiakea lagoon atleast, you could walk to school everyday from Hale Haumana.

Appreciate the information - thanks!

I've seen some great houses for rent on craigslist but will have to wait until it gets closer to see what's available. Hale Haumana would be a good backup..

dang, maybe i should reconsider...:laugh:

*sigh* pictures can be misleading. (http://www.wlvapartments.com/apartments.html)

i've seen some AMAZING houses too on craigslist, but hale haumana seems to be the best bang for my buck.

prepharm, is hale haumana pretty popular with pharmacy students and does it get filled up pretty fast?

prepharm, is hale haumana pretty popular with pharmacy students and does it get filled up pretty fast?
Last year it was filled by the end of July, so you still have plenty of time as far as that goes. It was filled almost entirely by pharmacy students, but coincidentally most moved out after the fall semester for whatever reason...I think they found houses which could be split for cheaper rent.

Edit: I just got around to looking at the pictures on Lagoon and they are very misleading, i have been in two different rooms there and neither looked like that. I'm not saying it's a dump by any means, but it was not nearly the quality from the pictures either.

Last edited:
Last year it was filled by the end of July, so you still have plenty of time as far as that goes. It was filled almost entirely by pharmacy students, but coincidentally most moved out after the fall semester for whatever reason...I think they found houses which could be split for cheaper rent.

Edit: I just got around to looking at the pictures on Lagoon and they are very misleading, i have been in two different rooms there and neither looked like that. I'm not saying it's a dump by any means, but it was not nearly the quality from the pictures either.

I know I can speak for many of us here and we appreciate your input as most of us are embarking on new territory. My parents are planning to accompany me to Hilo at the beginning of August as they are set on helping me relocate AND it just so happens it is their 25th anniversary. :D Unless I hear warnings to the contrary, we are planning to find a place when we arrive as we feel it would be advantageous to view the prospects in person. Hope my gamble pays off...if anyone is interested in rooming with me at the great place I find...pm me and we'll explore our mutual interests, etc. :D Apartments and dorms are safe bets but having lived in them the past 4 1/2 years, I am hoping to find a place with more flexibility yet convenient to campus...

Just wondering if anyone has checked into financial aid yet? I guess I need to read over the paperwork to see when we are supposed to begin the process....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I just joined this site and, like some of you, was put on the waitlist for Hilo =( I am so happy to know I'm not the only one with questions and concerns. Hopefully I will be seeing all of you in about 7 months!! =)

forrest, i'm waiting for my W-2 form to come from my employer. i've been working on my fafsa as of late, but i can't complete it until i get the forms necessary.

welcome PharmD4meMN! good luck to you too, and i hope to see you this fall as well. :luck:

Hi everyone! I just joined this site and, like some of you, was put on the waitlist for Hilo =( I am so happy to know I'm not the only one with questions and concerns. Hopefully I will be seeing all of you in about 7 months!! =)

Welcome! I'm on the waitlist too among others. Do you guys think us waitlisters might hear something after the first deposit deadline....or after the second set of interviews in Feb? I'm a dreamer sooooooooo hope we hear good new soon!

Welcome! I'm on the waitlist too among others. Do you guys think us waitlisters might hear something after the first deposit deadline....or after the second set of interviews in Feb? I'm a dreamer sooooooooo hope we hear good new soon!

Dreams are good and I think it is likely some on the waitlist may hear good news after some seats were declined in the first round. Then, after the second round of interviews, there should be a LOT more communications from admissions. Good luck to everyone "waiting" and for those who have upcoming interviews!:luck:

I have scheduled to interview at Hilo on Jan 26th. Anyone?

whats the format of the interview?

whats the format of the interview?

Mine was closed file and consisted of approximately 30 minutes of questions followed by a 30 minute writing test. Check out the interview feedback for UHH - you'll find it very helpful!:D

I was wondering what I was going against here applying to UHH so late. I had applied to a couple of other schools but one of the guys doing my letter of recommendations never sent in his papers, so I got screwed. Since UHH had a deadline of Feb. 1st, I was able to apply over the weekend and sent in all the stuff yesterday. I got a 67 composite on the PCAT (81 chem 71 bio) and have a 3.55 GPA. Should I be expecting an interview or will the field be more competative since I am applying so late?

Thanks for the info!
Mike

I was wondering what I was going against here applying to UHH so late. I had applied to a couple of other schools but one of the guys doing my letter of recommendations never sent in his papers, so I got screwed. Since UHH had a deadline of Feb. 1st, I was able to apply over the weekend and sent in all the stuff yesterday. I got a 67 composite on the PCAT (81 chem 71 bio) and have a 3.55 GPA. Should I be expecting an interview or will the field be more competative since I am applying so late?

Thanks for the info!
Mike

Mike,

I think based on your stats you would have a good chance for an interview invite, the only thing working against you is that you got in a bit late in the game. But I wouldn't count yourself out..it just means you may be contacted late in the process. Best of luck to you and keep us posted!:luck:

Mike,

I think based on your stats you would have a good chance for an interview invite, the only thing working against you is that you got in a bit late in the game. But I wouldn't count yourself out..it just means you may be contacted late in the process. Best of luck to you and keep us posted!:luck:

Thanks Forrest :) By the looks of it, it seems you enjoy running...Hawaii would be a GREAT place to do a little running to see the great sites. I've done up to a half-marathon, but not too much past that. I'll let ya guys know what happens with my applications, I'm just waiting on U of Wyoming, Regis U and now UHH.

Michael,

Yes, I am an avid runner! I've done a 1/2 marathon and this weekend I may do an 18 mile race. Looking forward to running in Hawaii!:D

Mine was closed file and consisted of approximately 30 minutes of questions followed by a 30 minute writing test. Check out the interview feedback for UHH - you'll find it very helpful!:D

if you don't mind answering,.........can you give insight on what the 30 minute writing test consisted of?

Hi everyone! I am a new member. My interview is on Jan. 21. Anyone?

I wonder if UHH is still trying to fill slots for this upcoming round? I have a friend who submitted 3 days ago and got an invite the next day.

if you don't mind answering,.........can you give insight on what the 30 minute writing test consisted of?

It consists of one essay question and you are given a piece of paper where you can only use the front so you should spend some time thinking about what you're going to write before you actually write. To be fair, I can't tell you the question I got but I can say it was a personal question and not related to pharmacy. Good luck!:luck:

Hi all, I just got an interview today!!!!!!

Though it's a bit weird how it happened.

They receive my materials on one day and then send me an interview on the next day.

I'm a bit skeptical since my PCAT scores are a bit low....like...very low....but I'm doing fine GPA and EC wise...

Anyways, I'm happy right now, and that's what matters right now.

Hi all, I just got an interview today!!!!!!

Though it's a bit weird how it happened.

They receive my materials on one day and then send me an interview on the next day.

I'm a bit skeptical since my PCAT scores are a bit low....like...very low....but I'm doing fine GPA and EC wise...

Anyways, I'm happy right now, and that's what matters right now.

Shimmery, did they just send it through email today? At what time? I sent mine in last monday, and submitted through PharmCAS last monday too but haven't heard anything back yet...

Hey Everybody,

I just received my alternate list email from UH Hilo today :( . Looks like a few of you are in the same boat so I decided to join to keep track of our progress.

Just to clear things up - Is there an alternate list AND a wait list or are they the same? If so, what's the difference? Thanks!

I got my interview yesterday through email.

I recently finished my supplemental, then gave me an email saying they got everything, and the next day after that I got the interview.

Hey Everybody,

I just received my alternate list email from UH Hilo today :( . Looks like a few of you are in the same boat so I decided to join to keep track of our progress.

Just to clear things up - Is there an alternate list AND a wait list or are they the same? If so, what's the difference? Thanks!

As far as I know, they are the same thing. It just seems like "alternate list" seems less committal than calling it a wait list. haha! When did you have your interview?

Everyone (including my parents) tells me I have to have a car in Hilo. Some of the reasons mentioned include the frequent rain and lack of reliable public transportation. Since you haven't started pharmacy school yet you may not know the answer to my question but here it is: do first year P1 students have any activities etc. that require driving far out of Hilo? As an avid runner/cyclist, I was thinking I might be ok without a car until we start working in the field - possibly our 2nd year? I know I need to find out more details so any you know would be appreciated!

Hoping to rent a house convenient to campus. Are there any websites you recommend to search for housing?

Thx for your help - I know I will have a LOT more ?'s in the coming months...:D

I may be a little late here, but hopefully I can help answer your question. I'm currently a P1 at UHH.

You will need a car in Hilo. IPPE rotations start the first week of class with 50% of the students doing rotations at retail sites and the other 50% at Hilo Medical Center.

The vast majority of people will either get a retail site in Hilo or HMC which are both theoretically within a 1 hour walking distance if you live in Hilo. The problem with walking is that you will either end up at your rotation site drenched from the rain, or drenched in sweat. The CoP requires that you wear professional dress, closed-toe shoes, and a clinical lab coat at rotations... and it is not exactly professional to show up sweaty/wet. Some of the students in my class have survived with mopeds or carpooling, but both have their drawbacks. Also, during the second semester the students switch rotation sites (HMC students do retail and vice versa) so you would have to make new transportation arrangements for the second semester as well. As far as public transportation is concerned supposedly there is a free bus service called "Hele On," but as was mentioned previously, timing in Hilo (bus schedule and routes included) can be erratic.

Another problem comes up if you are one of the unlucky few to get a retail rotation site outside of Hilo. Most retail sites are solo so it would be pretty hard to carpool. I know at least one student last semester that had his retail rotation at a pharmacy in Honoka'a which, according to google maps, is about 14 hours walking distance from Hilo.

Hope this helps somewhat. Feel free to PM or reply if anyone else has any questions. I can't say for sure when I'll get around to checking this again, but I'll do my best.

Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

As far as I know, they are the same thing. It just seems like "alternate list" seems less committal than calling it a wait list. haha! When did you have your interview?

Excellent. Thanks Shazzie. I had my interview in Hilo on Dec. 18th.

Hey theThinker, I will be a P1 student of Fall 2010. Do you stay on campus? How are rotations done hour wise per week? How far are the new pharm buildings from campus? Thanks.

Hey theThinker, I will be a P1 student of Fall 2010. Do you stay on campus? How are rotations done hour wise per week? How far are the new pharm buildings from campus? Thanks.

Congrats!

I don't live on campus. I rent an apartment that is about 1.5 miles from campus. I rent directly from the owner, not like a company or anything. Found it on craigslist.

Rotations are from 8am-12pm one day per week, Pharmaceutics lab is from 8:30am-12pm one day a week, and the other three mornings you are off until class starts at 1pm. There are three rotation days and three lab sections, so which days you have things in the morning will be different for each student.

The pharmacy buildings are not too far from campus, you can walk there in about 15 minutes. For P1s though all of our classes are on main campus (unless they change that next year), so we only use the buildings to study, turn in papers, etc.

Good luck to everyone who will be interviewing soon and further congrats
to the others who just got accepted!

Man, being on the alternate list is tough! It's been a long month. Hopefully us waitlisted will hear back soon...hmmmm there are fewer days in February =)

Man, being on the alternate list is tough! It's been a long month. Hopefully us waitlisted will hear back soon...hmmmm there are fewer days in February =)

Dreamer - now that is what I call trying to look on the bright side - keep it up!:D Hope you get rewarded with some good news from Hilo...

hey guys!!!!

congrats on those that made it in and good luck to those who are waiting. Im sure you guys have nothing to worry about. :)
im currently a P1 at UHH... and i see one of my classmates have already helped a few of you.
but if there are any questions i can try to help. feel free to ask. :D

Does anyone know when the next scheduled interviews will be from here on out?

just dont give up hope. :)

it is still early in the game so there is a great chance that a lot of people on the alternate list will hear back. thats because later on some people may give up their seats because they hear back from their other schools or they change their minds. then a lot of seats will be open.

good luck!

Hi guys! I'll be interviewing on the 29th. If anyone from here will be there, don't be afraid to say what's up! I am a resident of Oahu, Hawaii and hopefully will meet a lot of cool people there! Look forward to seeing yall!:)

just dont give up hope. :)

it is still early in the game so there is a great chance that a lot of people on the alternate list will hear back. thats because later on some people may give up their seats because they hear back from their other schools or they change their minds. then a lot of seats will be open.

good luck!

thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm trying to stay optimistic! I just keep thinking about my interview and I "thought" it went well.... Like you said, hopefully seats will open up and I'll be one of the lucky ones!