University of Hawaii at Hilo COP - Applicants for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be interviewing In February in Vegas. What kind of chances do I have interviewing so late.

Your chances should still be good. Good luck! =)

Members don't see this ad.

I had Dr. Wright too! He seemed so cheerful during the interview, should've known it may have been too good to be true. I suppose I'll e-mail Liz too. I suspect she's getting a lot of e-mails. Let us know what you find out about the waitlist!

RxGrl and Dreamer57,

looks like we're in the same boat! lets just hold on to this life raft we have together and hope we'll be meeting in the Fall. RxGrl, who was your interviewer? I was thinking of e-mailing mine too but if we have the same one, I don't want to bombard him with questions.

may i join this boat too?

yea, i couldn't sleep last night because of the email. Dr. Wright interviewed me as well. I also emailed him this morning, and he responded very quickly (like within 15 min.) notifying me that it was forwarded to Liz.

well, i guess all us waitlisters will have to wait until the next interview batch in Feb. to see if any of us will be taken off the list.

Good Luck to us :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dreamer,
I've also noticed that too....about the "unranked list." I don't think they want us to call them. LOL Maybe Forrest is right about us finding out sooner than others because we were among the group who interviewed early. Did you apply to Hilo last year too? If so, were you on the waitlist last year for Hilo? I guess a lot of us are on the same boat right now. Who knows? Among those who are accepted might decide that Hilo isn't for them and they might decide to choose another school of their choice. This will open up seats for us. =) I'll be praying for the rest of us who are waitlisted.

Since I've never been through this before I don't know much about waiting lists except what I've read on the forum. I assumed all of them were "ranked" but I guess not. If you haven't already, I would ask them how they determine who to extend offers to on the waitlist if they're not ranked? If you all don't want to stand out as a frequent questioner, I propose the group of you take turns and each ask a question and share the information with the others (either here or through PM's).

may i join this boat too?

yea, i couldn't sleep last night because of the email. Dr. Wright interviewed me as well. I also emailed him this morning, and he responded very quickly (like within 15 min.) notifying me that it was forwarded to Liz.

well, i guess all us waitlisters will have to wait until the next interview batch in Feb. to see if any of us will be taken off the list.

Good Luck to us :xf:

we're all in this together duke! i guess now we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope someday we come back to this thread and talk about how we just got pulled! :xf::luck:

I hope the alternate list is a.k.a the waitlist.

Hey everyone! New to the group, but am sadly to be in the same boat as all the waitlisters :(. To all who got accepted, congrats and thank you for the positive encouragement to me and the rest of the gang. I am also wondering about the waitlist process. If and when they do turn to this list, does anyone know if they will still follow the 50% residency-50% non residency policy? Or will they just pull out anyone regardless of their residency status? I am a Hilo resident and also a previous UHH student. Is anyone here from Hilo too? Anyways, if anyone has any questions about Hilo/ Big Island life or the school, especially those who are not from here, feel free to holler back! :)

Hey everyone! New to the group, but am sadly to be in the same boat as all the waitlisters :(. To all who got accepted, congrats and thank you for the positive encouragement to me and the rest of the gang. I am also wondering about the waitlist process. If and when they do turn to this list, does anyone know if they will still follow the 50% residency-50% non residency policy? Or will they just pull out anyone regardless of their residency status? I am a Hilo resident and also a previous UHH student. Is anyone here from Hilo too? Anyways, if anyone has any questions about Hilo/ Big Island life or the school, especially those who are not from here, feel free to holler back! :)

I've read on past threads that they'll pull from anywhere. But you never know! You may be given preference since you're from Hilo. I would e-mail Liz to be sure. :luck:

To all the waitlisters!

Just got an e-mail from Liz. I guess we actually are ranked, but since they continue interviewing, our position today may not be the same as tomorrow. But all is not lost! She said that our position on the waitlist still means that we are still being considered for candidacy. I'm thinking they compare us with those who interview later as well. Does anyone know when the next round of interviews is taking place? We shall see! Good luck to all! :luck::xf:

we're all in this together duke! i guess now we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope someday we come back to this thread and talk about how we just got pulled! :xf::luck:

where abouts are you in CA? i'm from there too.

just a little update ...

I've received an email from Liz today.
Thank you for your interest in our school. Please make sure you send PharmCAS your updated transcripts during the PharmCAS "Academic Update" window. The Academic Update window will open on December 15, 2009, following the completion of the fall 2009 term, and close on February 2, 2010. Being on the Alternate List means your application is still active and under committee review. Continue to check your email over the Spring 2010 semester for correspondence from our office.

Only in August after we close our application process will we respond to students inquiries on how to strengthen their application. Last year our average accepted GPA was a 3.2 and average PCAT score was a 66 composite.

I know this is going to be difficult for all of us but just hang in there. I'm going to keep myself busy for a while so that I don't stress myself out so much. There's not much that we can do now and we can't change their decisions at the moment. Let's just all pray! I'm sure several months from now we will see each other blog about how we got pulled off the list, which will be great news for all of us. Please blog as soon as you hear again from them. Thanks shazzie for the email info. At least we know that it's rank. We're not sure whether it's by grades/interview/writing scores or by how early we interviewed. You never know... Maybe we will find out after the second batch of interviews which will be taking place in February.

yeah....i was waitlisted as well. but on a brighter note, just got accepted into touro!

good luck to everyone!

I just wanted to remind everyone not to fret about being on the alternate list, in the past two years there has been a very high turnover rate in the early summer months. Many people on the wait list will ultimately be offered acceptances, the only hard part is waiting it out...

Members don't see this ad :)
where abouts are you in CA? i'm from there too.

just a little update ...

I've received an email from Liz today.

hey duke! i'm from norcal going to school in Davis.

RxGrl, you're right, it's just so hard to pass the time! But as the hours go by, the shock is starting to wear off. Maybe I'll finally read a book now that I'm done with finals to pass the time. I'm thinking they're ranking us by our overall application score with everything taken into consideration.

Prepharm, thanks for your reassuring words! I think we're all just being pessimistic right now but I'm sure once the first person is pulled off the waitlist we'll all start looking up! It's just hard to believe right now since there's so many more interviews to be done.

This is just giving me the drive to try even harder this next quarter to prepare myself for the next round of applications if this year doesn't work out. Good luck everyone!! I'm wishing everyone the best. And to those who have been accepted, what should we start preparing for in case we get pulled off? :xf:

Dreamer,
I've also noticed that too....about the "unranked list." I don't think they want us to call them. LOL Maybe Forrest is right about us finding out sooner than others because we were among the group who interviewed early. Did you apply to Hilo last year too? If so, were you on the waitlist last year for Hilo? I guess a lot of us are on the same boat right now. Who knows? Among those who are accepted might decide that Hilo isn't for them and they might decide to choose another school of their choice. This will open up seats for us. =) I'll be praying for the rest of us who are waitlisted.

No, I haven't applied to Hilo before so everything was new for me at this interview. The other 2 schools I applied to last year and was waitlisted said that they had no ranking and they just review regularly. That was frustrating. So, hopefully we alll will get taken this year! I'll be praying for us waitlisted too. =)

yeah....i was waitlisted as well. but on a brighter note, just got accepted into touro!
QUOTE]

Congratulations on your acceptance into Touro!

rxshazzie, thanks for the info Liz sent you about being ranked!

Everyone, thanks for the hope and encouragement!

To all the waitlisters!

Just got an e-mail from Liz. I guess we actually are ranked, but since they continue interviewing, our position today may not be the same as tomorrow. But all is not lost! She said that our position on the waitlist still means that we are still being considered for candidacy. I'm thinking they compare us with those who interview later as well. Does anyone know when the next round of interviews is taking place? We shall see! Good luck to all! :luck::xf:

Hi

So how was it stated in the email about waitlisters are ranked? I'm still getting the impression that the Alternative List is unranked :confused:

Hi

So how was it stated in the email about waitlisters are ranked? I'm still getting the impression that the Alternative List is unranked :confused:

it wasn't stated in the email we all got, but when i asked Liz directly, that's pretty much what she told me. either way! even if we are ranked, it doesn't matter because we're constantly being compared against each other. everyone i've emailed says we're still being "considered". i'm getting the impression that if there are left over or vacant spots, we will be the pool they choose from.

it wasn't stated in the email we all got, but when i asked Liz directly, that's pretty much what she told me. either way! even if we are ranked, it doesn't matter because we're constantly being compared against each other. everyone i've emailed says we're still being "considered". i'm getting the impression that if there are left over or vacant spots, we will be the pool they choose from.

I've heard from friends who are now 1st year RPh.'s that they too were on the waitlist/alternative list and they still got in 2 weeks prior to the first day of class. They said to not lose hope because being on that list means you still have a high chance. It's better than a straight up "thank you for applying to our school but you no longer are considered" type of rejection letter. I know how everyone else feels because even after the 3rd day I'm still crying my eyes out. I'm starting to feel better about it and am trying to focus on other things, like the PCAT for instance. I'm getting a head start on studying just in case I don't get in for Fall of 2010. That way, I can retake the PCAT in June and reapply again thereonafter. I wonder how we're being ranked and what is being scored. I think I'll wait until Feb to contact Liz again and see where I stand. Good luck and remember, we're not alone. :)

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie on this forum and I just wanna say congrats to everyone who has been accepted to UHH and good luck to those on the waitlist. I have been accepted myself and I was just wondering whether it is possible to reserve the seat and withdraw later since I have 2 more interviews for my state schools to attend to. Also another question is how easy is it to obtain residency at Hawaii?

And for those already attending the school or currently live in Hawaii would you like to share your experiences there? =D

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie on this forum and I just wanna say congrats to everyone who has been accepted to UHH and good luck to those on the waitlist. I have been accepted myself and I was just wondering whether it is possible to reserve the seat and withdraw later since I have 2 more interviews for my state schools to attend to. Also another question is how easy is it to obtain residency at Hawaii?

And for those already attending the school or currently live in Hawaii would you like to share your experiences there? =D

it is always possible to withdraw. however, you will lose your $500 deposit if you do. by residency, do you mean state residence? or a pharmacy residency?

You can always reserve your seat by making that $500 deposit. It'll be worth it for insurance purposes. At least you'll know that you have a place to go if you don't get into your state schools. If you get accepted into a school of your choice then you can always contact the school to withdraw your seat later on. Best of luck and congrats! :)

it is always possible to withdraw. however, you will lose your $500 deposit if you do. by residency, do you mean state residence? or a pharmacy residency?

By residency I meant state residency. Thanks for clarifying the deposit!

I am a Hawaii resident & currently attend UH-Hilo and live in Hilo. I was recently accepted in the UH-Hilo's College of Pharmacy entering Fall 2010. do you have anything specific you would like to know about hilo or the school/campus??

By residency I meant state residency. Thanks for clarifying the deposit!

going through last year's hilo thread, it seems like you must live in hilo for at least 12 consecutive months and cannot take more than 9 units while in school. so establishing residency is probably not an option for us mainlanders, unfortunately. :oops: but you can always e-mail liz to double check in case i'm mistaken!

I've read on past threads that they'll pull from anywhere. But you never know! You may be given preference since you're from Hilo. I would e-mail Liz to be sure. :luck:

I remember when I did some advising with Donna, she pretty much gave me the impression that they prefer someone who will not only go to to UHH CoP, but will also STAY in Hilo (or Hawaii in general) after they graduate. Besides, that's one of the major reasons why they finally set up a pharm school here to begin with. But as good as that preference thing sounds, I'm also getting the feeling that they'll pull from anywhere too. And given that, I think that non-residents have a better chance because there's not much competition for residents compared to non-residents as I've heard. I'll probably end up emailing Liz though.

I am a Hawaii resident & currently attend UH-Hilo and live in Hilo. I was recently accepted in the UH-Hilo's College of Pharmacy entering Fall 2010. do you have anything specific you would like to know about hilo or the school/campus??

Well I grew up in a city setting and I was just wondering whether I'll be able adapt to the rural setting of Hilo. And how are the facilities and education qualities of the school?

I came across this site by accident, as I was searching for something else, and after reading a few of the posts here, I thought I would share a few things with everyone about Hilo.

I am a current student at UHH, not in the pharmD program so I can't share much about the curriculum or faculty, but I can share some things about UHH and Hilo in general.

I relocated here from Philly, so that is about as diametrically opposite in culture from Hilo as one can expect coming from the Mainland. Let me share with you a few observations:

One poster who said they interviewed here mentioned Hilo is not a beach town, and that beaches are a "couple of hours" away. That is incorrect. There are a string of beaches about 10 mins away from the center of town, including a black sand beach - Richardson's Beach. The picture someone posted of what they thought Hawai'i looks like is pretty accurate - for the Big Island. We have rocky coasts here and in fact, that picture looks like the Hamakua Coast (20 min drive North)

Pros:

It truly is beautiful here, it's December 22nd and the weather is 82, and I just got done with my afternoon swim at the black sand beach. Family back home has 2 feet of snow from that N'oreaster... not bad.

The people are nice, just about anyone who makes eye contact with you will say hello. Aloha spirit. Drivers will actually stop in the middle of mainstream traffic to allow you to make turns, everyone is pretty courteous.

Cons:

In the town of Hilo (and it is a town, not a city - maybe 40k but fairly spread out) there is little in the way of professional industries here, outside of healthcare and ancillary healthcare fields, geology, astronomy and marine sciences. I am a marketing and business development guy so I found this to be problematic as the economy is not developed enough to support those sectors.

Some mainland amenities do not exist outside of Honolulu and O'ahu. Eg. If you like eating a certain franchise restaurants like Olive Garden or Fridays, you will not find that here. Pizzerias also do not make the type of food you'd expect. Flip side is that Hawaiian poke is amazing.

Hawai'i in general is a HUGE welfare state. A lot of folks are living off of government subsidies here, and you will see your fair share of naturalists (hippies).

The number 1 con in my opinion:

NOTHING HERE OPERATES EFFICIENTLY. In short, things work ass backwards here. They operate on their own time, and very much own the mentality that "this is how we've always done things, so this is how we're going to keep doing it". I find this is exacerbated by the isolation of developing in the middle of the ocean. They are quite resistant to outside influences. What would normally take 1 or 2 weeks (interview process for a job) can take 3 or 4 months here.

Additionally, things that where I'm from would be indicators of competency are lauded as achievements here. Not long ago, I watched a Master's thesis defense and it would not have been passable as an undergraduate thesis defense at some schools, yet it took the faculty 5 minutes to award her the degree. I also mentor some of the high school kids here, and the public school system in Hawai'i is among the worst in the country.

UHH - it's not a bad school. I am an alumni of Seton Hall University, and I felt the curriculum there was 10 x's more rigorous than here. In my observations, most of the programs here can be gauged that way outside of astronomy and marine sciences which attract a lot of international students because of the island's unique location. There are something like 16 or 18 different climates, of which the Big Island has 11 so programs like that make use of the "natural laboratory". The faculty is relatively accomplished, and the avg class sizes are pretty small. Maybe 15 -25 or so. The campus however, leaves much to be desired.

All in all, it's a pretty good place and you'll find if you come here that there is something special about Hawai'i and Hawaiian culture, even with the downsides taken into account. How often have you pulled up to the stop light, and the road sign says "Volcano 15 miles" ? Once the wife is done with her clinical practice commitment to the clinic here though, we will have to take it to Honolulu if we want to stay here, because of the market opportunities that do not exist here (or markets for that matter).

^ I agree with mostly everything you've said except I wanted to alert the other readers that the pharmacy program is not watered-down/easy compared to other institutions like you may feel the undergrad/masters programs are. I cannot comment on those as I did my undergrad elsewhere on that same note however. The faculty of UHH's pharmacy program are paid extremely well compared to other schools and they attract very competent professors that are very qualified and/or have taught at other high ranked schools previously.

Thanks everyone for their insights about Hawaii. That was very detailed. The pros seem to outweigh the cons. I agree with pharm that the pharmd curriculum is very rigorous. I say this because I've compared the curriculum with that of other pharmacy schools. I've seen 14 hr course loads from other pharmacy schools' curriculum with ippe separated from academics, whereas, UHH has a 17 hr course load with ippe taking place during academics as well. I'm sure it's not watered down/easy like a lot of people say. My question for those who live on the Big Island is that are there a lot of job opportunities there? If so, would you have to know someone in order to get jobs in Hawaii? I've heard this from someone before and I just wanted to verify if this statement is true.

Thanks everyone for their insights about Hawaii. That was very detailed. The pros seem to outweigh the cons. I agree with pharm that the pharmd curriculum is very rigorous. I say this because I've compared the curriculum with that of other pharmacy schools. I've seen 14 hr course loads from other pharmacy schools' curriculum with ippe separated from academics, whereas, UHH has a 17 hr course load with ippe taking place during academics as well. I'm sure it's not watered down/easy like a lot of people say. My question for those who live on the Big Island is that are there a lot of job opportunities there? If so, would you have to know someone in order to get jobs in Hawaii? I've heard this from someone before and I just wanted to verify if this statement is true.

Prepharm is correct, those were my general insights and observations about the level/quality of the undergraduate and graduate programs, those ones I mentioned withstanding. As I mentioned in my previous post, I cannot comment on the substance of the pharmD program, though I have heard good things. All of you, would be far more qualified to assess your program's academic rigor than I would. I just wanted to share some of my experiences and insights regarding Hilo from the perspective of someone who came to this island from a major metropolitan market. Sometimes if you talk to locals, they will give you their sugar version of it, in part because this is all they've known. I've tried to be as objective as possible, and I hope it helps.

To answer your question quoted above no, and yes. I assume you are asking with regard to your industry job prospects in pharmacy. I would have to say that would be better than working in other industries that rely on a certain level of economic development present. I believe they are looking to attract and retain pharmD graduates here in the Hilo area, and in Hawai'i in general.

However, generally speaking the job market here is in rough straits. Salaries are not particularly high anywhere in Hawai'i by mainland standards (even Honolulu), and you have to keep in mind the sharp increase in cost of living you will experience here. Many folks work a couple of jobs to make it work, and other guys I've met with similar professional backgrounds as mine, who also have wives who are doing their clinical commitments here have to end up working in grocery stores, or on delivery routes to cover expenses.

The Big Island is home to a lot of folks with a "small town" mindset. As in my earlier post where I mentioned there is resistance to operating efficiently and new ideas, the same is true of the job market that does exist. The "hidden" job market is very much alive here.

You would be well served to do some networking and create some entrances. Additionally, I have no idea what your cultural background is, but there is a feeling here particularly, and in Hawai'i generally, that the best jobs should go to the locals first. And I don't mean those who qualify as in state residents, I mean kama'aina.

Last edited:

RxGirl, there are NOT much job opportunities here. Outside of the healthcare field, the job availabilities are business/clerical positions, positions in the food industry (cooks/ wait help/ kitchen help), and those of which community colleges or other vocational programs prepare you for (mechanic/ operator/ construction/ etc.). In healthcare, the current job availabilities are nursing, OT's, PT's, and any other higher-leveled positions that require further schooling and most importantly- experience. You would think this would include pharmacy, but unfortunately, there's not much of that here in Hilo either, which leads to the irony: we have a pharm school here, but not much pharmacies (and/ or pharmacy job opportunities). For example, I'm a certified pharm tech, but haven't been able to get a job as one since I moved here. I've applied to ALL the pharmacies in Hilo (which of course was very easy to do since, as mentioned earlier, there are not many here) and even a few out of town -but have gotten NOTHING.

Like how most unemployed people feel, it's largely due to our poor economy. But I truly feel that it's also due to job/ people politics as well. So to verify your statement: it's more true than not. Around here, it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know. And it's a very sad truth to know that your knowledge and achievements make you very well qualified for a given position, but won't be hired on the basis of that. (If you want concrete examples, you'd have to pm me as I cannot disclose that info so publicly here.)

What sensistar says about the job market here is very true too: You will not get paid as high here compared to if you were working in the mainland. And there are many people here who do end up working in typical, non-respectable, low-paying jobs like in grocery stores and the like. Though UHHCoP was created in response to the lack of healthcare professionals in Hawaii, it may take a VERY VERY VERY long time for Hilo to resolve that and start filling the island with healthcare professionals, especially in pharmacy (besides, we are slow-paced here).

To all you mainlanders and/ non-residents…

I lived in Hilo for a year a few years ago while I attended UHH, and I have made frequent visits here during my school breaks since then, until 6 months ago when I permanently moved here. Here is my input:

I do agree with sensistar; as mentioned, Hilo is a town. It is a beach town, but the more popular and nicer beaches (which lie beside the popular resorts) are located on the other side of the island "a couple of hours" away. That's probably what that poster was referring to, sensistar.

We are the biggest island out of all the other islands combined, which is probably why everything may seem spread out. Yet Hilo is still a small town in terms of mindset (as sensistar mentioned) and in terms of what the town has –which is, not much. We are known for eating/ dining, being friendly and chill, and being slow-paced. We have no night-life, no clubs, and we do not have many stores in our mall compared to those in Oahu and in the mainland. (Yes, we only have one major mall, and it's not even a major one!) Moreover, out of all the islands, we get the most rain. So if you don't like that, and you like the city-life in general, Hilo is NOT for you. If you are the city-type but would still like to be here in Hawaii (for whatever reason), I suggest Oahu. However, though Oahu has the opportunities, it also carries with it the crowdedness. You can think of Oahu as a mini L.A. but in an island. The crowdedness is all the more apparent as it is a smaller island. Hope this all helps! :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I was just briefly reading through this thread and wanted to throw out some support to the people who are waiting to hear anything or are on the waitlist. Last year, I pretty much waited through the whole application process without hearing a word from Hilo until mid-June. I was majorly stressed out! I was finally offered an interview in early June and accepted by the end of June. So...keep your heads up and don't lose hope! Good luck everyone!

Everyone (including my parents) tells me I have to have a car in Hilo. Some of the reasons mentioned include the frequent rain and lack of reliable public transportation. Since you haven't started pharmacy school yet you may not know the answer to my question but here it is: do first year P1 students have any activities etc. that require driving far out of Hilo? As an avid runner/cyclist, I was thinking I might be ok without a car until we start working in the field - possibly our 2nd year? I know I need to find out more details so any you know would be appreciated!

Hoping to rent a house convenient to campus. Are there any websites you recommend to search for housing?

Thx for your help - I know I will have a LOT more ?'s in the coming months...:D

hey forrest,

i've also been doing some apartment/house hunting and this is the site that's on the university's website:

http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/housing/offcampus/

there's also on campus housing, but reading from other ppl posts, i wouldn't live there...

i'm thinking about living in the waiakea lagoon apartments. anyone know of any pros/cons of the apartment? and any other suggestions?

hey forrest,

i've also been doing some apartment/house hunting and this is the site that's on the university's website:

http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/housing/offcampus/

there's also on campus housing, but reading from other ppl posts, i wouldn't live there...

i'm thinking about living in the waiakea lagoon apartments. anyone know of any pros/cons of the apartment? and any other suggestions?

Kern,

I'm leaning towards renting a house as from what I've seen so far there are some good deals and it would be quieter than apartment living...:D

I wouldn't touch on campus living - been there, done that!

After you reply to my recent PM we can discuss options in more detail....

Does anyone know if Hilo accepts distance learning credit? The only prereq I need is A & P I Lab and though I found one college in my area that offers just the lab it doesn't start until May. I'm wary of cutting it that close so I've been looking at other options and found a couple schools that offer it online. Of course, I will check with the academic advisor at Hilo when they return from holiday break but in the meantime I just wondered if anyone knew their policy?

Hi everyone,

I was just briefly reading through this thread and wanted to throw out some support to the people who are waiting to hear anything or are on the waitlist. Last year, I pretty much waited through the whole application process without hearing a word from Hilo until mid-June. I was majorly stressed out! I was finally offered an interview in early June and accepted by the end of June. So...keep your heads up and don't lose hope! Good luck everyone!

KY PharmD, thank you for your support, as well as all the other ex-waitlisters (and non-waitlisters) who have posted up their share of experiences and/ or words of encouragements. I am VERY PRONE to stress VERY EASILY (as well as anxiety and all that bad stuff). Hearing stories like yours REALLY DO help make me feel optimistic about my situation and, therefore, make it a little more easier to try advices like yours. I hope other previous waitlisters will also share their experiences here as well, as it helps to understand what happened in previous years so as to understand what may happen THIS year.

Last edited:
KY PharmD, thank you for your support, as well as all the other ex-waitlisters (and non-waitlisters) who have posted up their share of experiences and/ or words of encouragements. I am VERY PRONE to stress VERY EASILY (as well as anxiety and all that bad stuff). Hearing stories like yours REALLY DO help make me feel optimistic about my situation and, therefore, make it a little more easier to try advices like yours. I hope other previous waitlisters will also share their experiences here as well, as it helps to understand what happened in previous years so as to understand what may happen THIS year.

RxChem,

I know the waiting must be very tough but the game is not over yet and you need to keep reminding yourself of that. The worst part about being accepted from the waiting list is that it can happen so late in the process leaving little time to prepare for relocating, etc. So, my best advice is to keep exploring your other options (schools) AND when you find yourself going crazy because you haven't heard from Hilo - occupy yourself by planning a strategy for if you DO get accepted. How would you ship your belongings? Would you ship your car or buy one there? Make a list of places you'd like to live, take CPR (always a good skill to have), make sure you have all of the required immunizations, etc. I've always been pretty laidback and learned from my parents that it's best not to worry about things that are out of your control - use that energy instead towards thoughts and activities that are proactive. It really does work and it reduces stress because you feel like you are making some progress. Hang in there and I hope you get some good news soon. For now, you know you probably won't hear anything until at least after the February interviews conclude so use your time wisely! :D

Keep your chins up waitlisters!

I just wanted you all to know that another seat has opened up, as I've declined my offer of acceptance. Best of luck in the new year!

i agree with both forrest and tctem, keep your heads held high. i have a friend who was waitlisted last year (eventually rejected), but he never gave up, and i believe he's had several interviews for this cycle. i'm also absolutely humbled to see such dedicated and passionate people here especially on this forum for UH Hilo.

like i said to my friend, "don't stop believin'" and although as cheesy as that sounds, never stop believing in your dreams and passions. when there's a will, there will ALWAYS be a way. :)

Last edited:
RxChem,

I know the waiting must be very tough but the game is not over yet and you need to keep reminding yourself of that. The worst part about being accepted from the waiting list is that it can happen so late in the process leaving little time to prepare for relocating, etc. So, my best advice is to keep exploring your other options (schools) AND when you find yourself going crazy because you haven't heard from Hilo - occupy yourself by planning a strategy for if you DO get accepted. How would you ship your belongings? Would you ship your car or buy one there? Make a list of places you'd like to live, take CPR (always a good skill to have), make sure you have all of the required immunizations, etc. I've always been pretty laidback and learned from my parents that it's best not to worry about things that are out of your control - use that energy instead towards thoughts and activities that are proactive. It really does work and it reduces stress because you feel like you are making some progress. Hang in there and I hope you get some good news soon. For now, you know you probably won't hear anything until at least after the February interviews conclude so use your time wisely! :D

Forrest, Tctem, Kern...thanks you guys. I'll try to keep the optimism flowing.

Forrest, you are blessed to be a laidback type of person. I agree about the worst part in being on the waitlist: You just have to wait SOOOO long until they're done with interviewing everyone. It's like as if it doesn't even matter whether you applied early or not. And it's as if they're trying to tell you that you're still in their thoughts (or in this case, list) so they should be in mine. However, that's still very discouraging because life still goes on: there are other things to do, other priorities we have to fullfill. My life does not (and will not) revolve around them and all this waiting, so don't mind if I do try your advice and go for some things that have better chances of accomplishment in the mean time and beforehand.
To all us wailisters, lets try our best to be positive! :)

Forrest, Tctem, Kern...thanks you guys. I'll try to keep the optimism flowing.

Forrest, you are blessed to be a laidback type of person. I agree about the worst part in being on the waitlist: You just have to wait SOOOO long until they're done with interviewing everyone. It's like as if it doesn't even matter whether you applied early or not. And it's as if they're trying to tell you that you're still in their thoughts (or in this case, list) so they should be in mine. However, that's still very discouraging because life still goes on: there are other things to do, other priorities we have to fullfill. My life does not (and will not) revolve around them and all this waiting, so don't mind if I do try your advice and go for some things that have better chances of accomplishment in the mean time and beforehand.
To all us wailisters, lets try our best to be positive! :)

That's the spirit!:D

i'm so encouraged by everyone's positivity on this thread! to all those with words of wisdom, thanks for giving us all a little bit of hope and comfort. if this positivity is indicative of what it would be like to go to school in hilo, i can't wait to be a part of this ohana. even if it means reapplying! all you guys are so awesome!:thumbup:

i'm so encouraged by everyone's positivity on this thread! to all those with words of wisdom, thanks for giving us all a little bit of hope and comfort. if this positivity is indicative of what it would be like to go to school in hilo, i can't wait to be a part of this ohana. even if it means reapplying! all you guys are so awesome!:thumbup:

Ditto! I, too, appreciate the positivity from the members of this thread and from the contact I've had from Hawaii in general. To those on the waiting list that are willing to hang on to the dream - I really hope it is realized!:luck:

FYI - watched "The Perfect Getaway", a new movie out on DVD, the other night. As portions were filmed on Kauai's North shore and some key scenes featured the Kalalau Trail between Ke'e Beach and Hanakapia's Beach, thought it would be a good way to see more of the state in which I will be living in for the next four years. The scenery was amazing and even though it wasn't Hilo, I've heard Hilo is one of the most beautiful locations in Hawaii due to all the rain. The movie was....interesting. Though it kept my interest and had lots of clever plot twists, in the end some of them just didn't add up in my book. Anyone know of any movies I can rent that were filmed in Hilo?

Hey Forest, I have also been accepted to Hilo Hawaii College of Pharmacy. I have lived with my parents through my undergraduate/pre-pharmacy years. Still thinking if I should live on the campus or off campus depending on the cost. I am also looking for some one to room with. I am pretty layed back, not a party person and I stick to my studies. congrats on your acceptance. I am also shipping my car out to Hawaii which cost about $1800. Looking forwar in hearing form you.

I've been following this thread even though I won't be applying until next year. I do have a question that I have had trouble finding the answer to with regards to residency: If you move to Hawaii with your spouse, and your spouse obtains residency (registers to vote, changes drivers' license, obtains a job, the kids are in school), will you then be counted as a resident, even though you are in school? Just curious.

Congrats to all of the new acceptances, and :xf: to the waitlisters.