University of Florida - The Manilla Envelope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
re-hijack

hahahaha

I just heard after 300 recharges, the iphone battery dies and must be replaced at Apple (sounds ipodishly familiar). The gem is that you lose everything.

end

Members don't see this ad.

According to Apple, the battery is designed to retain 80% of its charge after 400 charge/discharge cycles. That's pretty normal for all lithium ion batteries, so I wouldn't say that this is news or a bombshell.

According to Apple, the battery is designed to retain 80% of its charge after 400 charge/discharge cycles. That's pretty normal for all lithium ion batteries, so I wouldn't say that this is news or a bombshell.

Yea but the fact that you have to send it in to Apple for replacement is complete "bunk and bull feathers". For example, go buy a $500 digital camera, or cheap lappy with a self contained battery. Here's the hitch, you have to pay someone to replace the battery and you lose all of your data/settings in the process. Heck, the least Apple could do is plug in a low voltage power supply to maintain the NVRAM while they cycle the battery.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont know why either. even putting myself down as an independent, hoping to get more loans, the way UF has me classified, i have to be a dependent! its ridiculous! i went to the financial aid office and they said we wont be able to get the major loans (25k+) until our THIRD PROFESSIONAL YEAR! aCK! it really sucks, bc the tuition at UF is like 12 k a semester, and my loan is capped at 8k. my poor parents need to put their lives on hold to pay more than they expeceted to... i hate how the loan things work. how are we different as all other 1PD students just because we finished our prereqs earlier... we are all in the same place, same financial situation. blah. :thumbdown:

I am going in as an international student and plan to remain like that for the next for years. So I dont get any loans and my semester is like 18,000 $$ a semester. Imagine my poor parents. So look at it the bright way at least you got some money. :idea:

hey guys, me again...

ok, has anyone contacted the COP to see if their checks for the CD/polo/picture have be received? I sent mine over 2 weeks ago with signature confirmation, and I haven't received anything yet.:(

hey guys, me again...

ok, has anyone contacted the COP to see if their checks for the CD/polo/picture have be received? I sent mine over 2 weeks ago with signature confirmation, and I haven't received anything yet.:(

Is the next 4 years going to be like this? :love:

J/K...I haven't seen anything on my stuff yet either. But I know they will get to it. Maybe when we get our acceptance letters? :p

Hey everyone,
I havnt heard anything either... quick question, do we have to have completed our AA or just have completed their required courses.. I have everything but the foreign language met for my aa ( which i met in high school ) but im not interested in paying $170.00 to get in evaluated for one class to get my AA unless UF required it??
Everything is sooo expensive and tuition isnt even here yet!! sucks not having fin. aid

Hey everyone,
I havnt heard anything either... quick question, do we have to have completed our AA or just have completed their required courses.. I have everything but the foreign language met for my aa ( which i met in high school ) but im not interested in paying $170.00 to get in evaluated for one class to get my AA unless UF required it??
Everything is sooo expensive and tuition isnt even here yet!! sucks not having fin. aid

Snap! According to the admission requirements you must have your AA before matriculation. Weird thing though...you say you had a foreign language in HS, but have to be evaluated for your AA? Were they two consecutive years in the same language?

You better call Penny/ Marcy/ Dr McKenzie

i took two years of spanish in high school and that satisfied my requirement for an AA degree. also, i wouldn't worry about getting conformation of receipt of checks and forms and such. they aren't going to decline you if something is missing. they will contact you if anything is missing. you've got nothing to worry about now, you're in. enjoy the rest of your summer because you'll have plenty to worry about once classes start.

well the catch is I completed high school in the Bahamas so they say i have to get my hs transcripts re-evaluated to prove i've completed the language req. Sucks because I had this done 3 years ago at a community college they admitted me and now claim they never received it so heres to another pay out!

ok, nvm, they got through. i emailed the front desk.

so yeah, you need your AA. i would email mckenzie stat to find out what you need done.

If I recall correctly, all admissions are conditional (in response to an earlier post).

Has anyone who was selected for verification, besides ForcedEntry, received their financial aid package yet? I am eager to get mine....I guess to put my mind at ease about paying bills and that type of thing. As an aside if I had gone to Nova they approved me for $49,700 in loans, yikes! It is THAT expensive to live down there and the tuition is much higher.

I have been avoiding doing all the assignments online because they look like a pain. Do I really have to buy a headset? I just get this feeling we will only use it a couple of times.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3PD told me they only had one class that used the elluminate program, and the headset was optional. Because it was optional, no one ended up buying one and, now it' s mandatory.

Yea i heard similar, I think i'm gonna take the cheap way out and just buy a seperate mic since i have headphones already!

at the elluminate session they told us that a few teachers used it last year, but this year they might be using it more often, especially for test reviews for students. I would suggest buying one. Or at least borrowing one. you at least need it for the fake session you need to have done before classes start.

I was chosen for verification, and i havent received anything yet.

Not that anyone cares, but I just finished turning in the rest of my forms today. I have also FINALLY received access to the computer assignments and I'm getting the microphone/headset combo tonight.

I'm in the same position with the verfication process sent mine like a month ago and nothing yet. Has anyone that was selected got anything back yet?

anyone gonna live at barrington at mirror lake in apopka?
if so, pm me

bump_signs.jpg

has anyone started buying textbooks off the tentative list from the Student Affairs website? i remember someone saying that we've got a new biochem prof this year. has this already been taken into account on the list, or is it just the same book as before?

has anyone started buying textbooks off the tentative list from the Student Affairs website? i remember someone saying that we've got a new biochem prof this year. has this already been taken into account on the list, or is it just the same book as before?
i'm probably going to wait until classes first start and maybe ask some older students of the professors who are staying and see if they used the book or not.

you should try to find out about that biochem book before you buy one from a 2PD.

I know a girl who is a 2PD who said that she has the older edition of our Biochem book. I'm trying to get a good deal on the newest edition on Amazon, but if I can't, I'll just use the 5th edition. I've already got most of the other texts from Amazon. hope this helps...

Hopefully they'll post our financial aid and show that we're registered this week. It's getting to be pretty late in July.

I know a girl who is a 2PD who said that she has the older edition of our Biochem book. I'm trying to get a good deal on the newest edition on Amazon, but if I can't, I'll just use the 5th edition. I've already got most of the other texts from Amazon. hope this helps...

are you buying directly from amazon or from various sellers on amazon??

Hopefully they'll post our financial aid and show that we're registered this week. It's getting to be pretty late in July.

I agree. I want to get all my financial aid stuff straightened out soon

Hey I just spoke to Mike Menefee. He said the financial aid should be awarded to us in the next 2 wks. I can't wait for this to be done. I think I may only be awarded around 5500 for financial aid cuz I'm coming into grad school with my Associate in Arts. Whatever the case, I just hope they don't wait til the very last second to get it done. I just need to take out a private loan for the difference.

Hey I just spoke to Mike Menefee. He said the financial aid should be awarded to us in the next 2 wks. I can't wait for this to be done. I think I may only be awarded around 5500 for financial aid cuz I'm coming into grad school with my Associate in Arts. Whatever the case, I just hope they don't wait til the very last second to get it done. I just need to take out a private loan for the difference.

Why wouldn't you get Stafford's?

check your finaid HERE

I still haven't gotten my financial aid award yet. :( I hope it comes soon.

They haven't cashed any of my 3 checks we had to send in either (polo, etc). Has anyone else's been cashed? Now I am concerned it got lost in the mail or something.

Why wouldn't you get Stafford's?

check your finaid HERE
i get the unsubsidized stafford loan, and entering the pharm school with an AA and being considered a dependent, I read $5500 is the max I can get as well. :(

oh, and ageldred, you can email [email protected] and ask them if they received your checks. I'm sure everything's fine...

i get the unsubsidized stafford loan, and entering the pharm school with an AA and being considered a dependent, I read $5500 is the max I can get as well. :(

It's the dependent part that kills you. Sounds like it is time to hit up the parents for a PLUS loan.

that awards/disbursements link shows that ive been awarded $3960 for Bright Futures FL Academic Scholar. i thought that would only be for undergrad, but then again my parents figure out all the money issues for me.

Theres an announcement on WebCT about the computer requirement. I don't quite understand as it seems to contradict please decipher it for me.

NEW Requirement

If you are a student of the College of Pharmacy and need authorized access to network resources* within the Health Science Center (HSC) and/or the College of Pharmacy (COP) you are required to have whole disk encryption installed on your laptop. Part of the authorization process will be the verification by the College of Pharmacy IT Dept that this software is installed. The HSC has settled on a whole disk encryption product by PGP Corporation for UF owned laptops. This is not an endorsement of the product by PGP but is meant to be an example of one product that is available.

* network resources: those needing only wireless Internet access from the HSC network are not required to have "whole disk encryption".

Can anyone explain what all that means?

If they want to overtake my computers they can pay for them!

what kind of software is that? is it expensive?

I'm quitting my 2 jobs soon, in a matter of days yay! I am so excited to be unemployed soon, however I'm sure my checking account will quickly deplete.

PGP is $103 for a subscription and $249 for perpetual.

We need to talk offline...I'm going to hook you up (and only because your fiancee is a Marine)

PGP is $103 for a subscription and $249 for perpetual.

We need to talk offline...I'm going to hook you up (and only because your fiancee is a Marine)

he hasnt popped the question yet. poopoo head. :cool:

what's up w/ the degree application on ISIS....are we supposed to do that after we have taken all our classes?

once you have fulfilled all of the requirements for an AA degree, you have to apply for the degree from ISIS. It will eventually show up that you have been awarded your AA degree on your transcripts. The COP has to check your transcripts to verify that you have received the degree before you begin the pharmacy program.

hey guys, i have a question here for people who are completing their pre-pharm requirements at UF, but this question can help everyone in a way...

does anyone know if, after we complete our pre-reqs for pharm school, if we have to send our transcripts to UF COP and/or PharmCAS?

I emailed dr. mckenzie, but i figured id ask her if anyone knew. thanks!

hey guys, i have a question here for people who are completing their pre-pharm requirements at UF, but this question can help everyone in a way...

does anyone know if, after we complete our pre-reqs for pharm school, if we have to send our transcripts to UF COP and/or PharmCAS?

I emailed dr. mckenzie, but i figured id ask her if anyone knew. thanks!

I didn't finish my prereqs at UF so I can't answer your specific question, however I read that people needed to send their transcripts to the college of pharmacy in the acceptance letter which I did. My transcript page hasn't updated on isis though, it only lists the classes I took at UF back in 2003. So I don't know if I need to send my transcripts to the registrar as well. It's all a little confusing.

if you were a student at UF for undergrad, you do not need to send a copy of your transcripts or AA degree. they just verify them on ISIS. if you were not an undergrad at UF, you do have to send in copies of these forms. also im pretty sure you dont have to update anything on pharmcas since your acceptance, but let me know what dr. mckenzie says about that.

He's got until you graduate pharm school. Otherwise you're fair game...and I'm playin. :love:

uh huh. you boys are all the same...dangling proposals around. He said that's when we're getting married.....so he needs to ask like at least a year before then so I can plan everything. :hardy:

Closest thing in my life that could be considered a proposal is when I was 19 and a male friend of mine was talking about buying land and building a log house for when we get married. I was like what?!?!? (Does that mean it has a log closet? jk!). So after that he dated a girl with my name...and then he's marrying a different girl next year and we share the same name. Very weird.

once you have fulfilled all of the requirements for an AA degree, you have to apply for the degree from ISIS. It will eventually show up that you have been awarded your AA degree on your transcripts. The COP has to check your transcripts to verify that you have received the degree before you begin the pharmacy program.

Oh, I received my BS degree at a different school..I meant do we need to do that degree application for pharmD?

about the transcripts for UF undergrads, dr mckenzie said to forward the transcript to the Office for Student Affairs in the COP. So I guess UF undergrads still have to have them forwarded...

well i guess im seeing conflicting information about this. when i asked penny, she said we didnt have to send any of this stuff because it could all be verified through ISIS. after reviewing the envelope documents, the "transcripts" section on the conditional admission letter does ask for us to send updated 2007 transcripts to the office for student affairs. on the conditional admission requirements checklist form at the top under the "when available" heading, it says to only send transcripts and AA degree if you are a non-UF undergrad.

i guess the safest thing to do is to just send everything to everybody.

also, did you guys get the emails from dr mckenzie today? im not looking forward to lugging my laptop around during the entire orientation.

well i guess im seeing conflicting information about this. when i asked penny, she said we didnt have to send any of this stuff because it could all be verified through ISIS. after reviewing the envelope documents, the "transcripts" section on the conditional admission letter does ask for us to send updated 2007 transcripts to the office for student affairs. on the conditional admission requirements checklist form at the top under the "when available" heading, it says to only send transcripts and AA degree if you are a non-UF undergrad.

i guess the safest thing to do is to just send everything to everybody.

also, did you guys get the emails from dr mckenzie today? im not looking forward to lugging my laptop around during the entire orientation.
yep. got the email, read the 7 pg white paper thing and scanned the freaking 73 page handbook. it was all starting to melt together after a while.. O_O
we'll be seated, hopefully, for most of the orientation, so it probably won't be that big of a deal.