University of Florida - The Manilla Envelope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
are you sure about the third year thing? i talked to someone and they said we'd be eligible for everything for the 2nd year and beyond.

Members don't see this ad.

StringTheorist and jmkraus:
When you both say "we," you mean because you both do not have bachelors degrees you can't get any major loans until your second year? But people with bachelors degrees who are classified as independents (married, veteran, 24+ years old) get $25+ in loans available to them their first year? :confused:

Ok I recind my previous rant...

I am 25+, independent, considered a 3rd yr (no previous BA/BS), and just got $21K+ (loans) and a maxed out Pell Grant through the UF Fin Aid office.

But I will start a new rant...

MMR...WTF? I was immunized in 1982 when you only had to have one shot. I also have the records from the public school system for objective evidence. But now, I have to get another? Or at least a titer to attend UF? I know for sure I was a walking vaccination in the USMC. Hell, we were pin cushions. So I have to dig up my military medical records or flush more money down the drain. "But being over immunized won't hurt"...I hate you!

And WTH is with their instructions...
Two doses are required for entry into UF. (1) One must have been received at 12 months of age or later and in 1971 or later. (2) The second dose must have been received at least 30 days after the first dose and in 1985 or later as per CDC guidelines

Call me crazy, maybe I need more reading comprehension, WTF ever, but us folks born between 1972 and 1985 are screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I recind my previous rant...

I am 25+, independent, considered a 3rd yr (no previous BA/BS), and just got $21K+ (loans) and a maxed out Pell Grant through the UF Fin Aid office.

I am envious you got your finaid package...when did you find out? I won't get a Pell grant since I have a degree.

But I will start a new rant...

MMR...WTF? I was immunized in 1982 when you only had to have one shot. I also have the records from the public school system for objective evidence. But now, I have to get another? Or at least a titer to attend UF? I know for sure I was a walking vaccination in the USMC. Hell, we were pin cushions. So I have to dig up my military medical records or flush more money down the drain. "But being over immunized won't hurt"...I hate you!

And WTH is with their instructions...

Call me crazy, maybe I need more reading comprehension, WTF ever, but us folks born between 1972 and 1985 are screwed.

Oh crap. I don't want another MMR ....they have all my shots from when I went there before so I hope I'm ok. I bet the USMC has all your records still so try and get it from them...good luck. Thought you were going to use the vasectomy excuse, they didn't buy it? :p Also, how long did it take them to get back to you on the immunizations....I don't want to be running around in August doing all that stuff.

Sorry it looks bad, I tried to multiquote!

I am envious you got your finaid package...when did you find out? I won't get a Pell grant since I have a degree.

Oh crap. I don't want another MMR ....they have all my shots from when I went there before so I hope I'm ok. I bet the USMC has all your records still so try and get it from them...good luck. Thought you were going to use the vasectomy excuse, they didn't buy it? :p Also, how long did it take them to get back to you on the immunizations....I don't want to be running around in August doing all that stuff.

Sorry it looks bad, I tried to multiquote!

I didn't get a package, per se, I saw my award on ISIS.

And crisis adverted. I found my military records (thank god I am a pack rat). I was vaccinated in 1990 for MMR amongst many, many other things.

Manilla envelope is now complete. Wooohooooo!

StringTheorist and jmkraus:
When you both say "we," you mean because you both do not have bachelors degrees you can't get any major loans until your second year? But people with bachelors degrees who are classified as independents (married, veteran, 24+ years old) get $25+ in loans available to them their first year? :confused:
yeah, its bc i only have my AA when applying... it sucks

Tell me... does anyone not have their financial aid info up on isis.ufl.edu? I turned in all these forms 10 days ago, and they're still not "in" the system :(. im starting to get worried and exhausted by all this stuff we have to do

Tell me... does anyone not have their financial aid info up on isis.ufl.edu? I turned in all these forms 10 days ago, and they're still not "in" the system :(. im starting to get worried and exhausted by all this stuff we have to do

Ugh I've been selected for verification....:( So I don't know when I'll get my finaid award.

Screw federal loans, they all suck.:laugh:

Im getting a private loan. The high interest is gonna bite, but when I graduate it'll be worth it. Plus, it won't take me long to pay it off. Federal loans are too messy.

Ugh I've been selected for verification....:( So I don't know when I'll get my finaid award.

oh god, not the verfication!!!! i had to do that too. thats why im still waiting 10 days later after i turned in forms on any word on the status of fin. aid

What is everybody's stats that got into UF at Gainsville? I want to go there so bad! :confused:

you know that mike menefee guy? it says in the packet to contact him if you need fin aid but wont have a bachelors degree by the time you start pharmacy study. He was sick when i called, but some other lady spoke on his behalf. according to her, we (people without bachelors degrees) are locked into whatever undergraduate pay we received the previous year for our first year of pharmacy school. she said that after that though, we are eligible for the 20k type loans. thats why i want to know where you heard that we wont get the big money until our third year. Im trying to decide whether to apply for walgreens education assistance, but i dont want to unless i really need it because its not that much and it locks me into a contract with walgreens after i graduate.

oh, dont quote me on that... but i remember dean mckenzie saying something about not being able to get grad-school level loans until we have a "bachelors", which is when we rack up enough credits to have a bachelors. with my AP credits, that should be after next year, but mckenzie i guess said 3rd year if you did not enter with existing AP/IB credits (if you entered after 2 years prepharm ). *shrug* i honestly dont really know, im just relaying what i was told.

oh, ok that makes sense. I did my prereqs in 3 years instead of 2, which explains why I will be eligible for more money by my 2nd year of pharm school.

Members don't see this ad :)

ageldred, what do you mean by "being selected for verification"? Is this the same as being audited? How long is this going to delay your application? Sorry to hear about that, BTW.

My stuff was in the system Feb 1

So was I. It took 3-4 weeks for them to review the documents they requested.

you know that mike menefee guy? it says in the packet to contact him if you need fin aid but wont have a bachelors degree by the time you start pharmacy study. He was sick when i called, but some other lady spoke on his behalf. according to her, we (people without bachelors degrees) are locked into whatever undergraduate pay we received the previous year for our first year of pharmacy school. she said that after that though, we are eligible for the 20k type loans. thats why i want to know where you heard that we wont get the big money until our third year. Im trying to decide whether to apply for walgreens education assistance, but i dont want to unless i really need it because its not that much and it locks me into a contract with walgreens after i graduate.

Hold on...when I get to work I will find the web page @ UF that discusses this very topic. With no previous bachelors...P1 gets ~$24K, P2-P4 gets ~$31K. I will provide the exact link later this a.m..

My stuff was in the system Feb 1

So was I. It took 3-4 weeks for them to review the documents they requested.

Thanks for the info. It's in the mailbox now. It is a little comforting to hear of two others that were selected for verification. I don't lie on my taxes or FAFSA so I was like wtf when I saw I was selected, no idea why.

I just hope the application for the apartment I want to live in goes through. I was hoping I'd have finaid documents to prove my income, but that may be a while coming. Such is life.

So glad we have this thread to discuss issues!

Here it is....

independent undergraduate pharmacy students, $23,000 per year up to an aggregate total of $70,625; graduate pharmacy students, $33,000 per year up to an aggregate total of $189,125;

LINK

As an aside...in my previous rant (one of many) I was venting about Ms. SFA's laissez faire attitude regarding HPSL and her dismissal of my inquiry as nonsense...well...also discussed on the same web page...HPSL. I really wish we could tag people with "Do not breed".

P.S. That was the best tasting envelope sticky stuff EVAR!

for the $85, don't worry, i sent mine around 6 weeks ago, they has not cash yet. I checked with them, they already have my file and did the work, they just don't like money as we do:)

Hi,Brandie28,

they said on everage, GPA3.5, PCAT 85

but i do saw people GPA 3.3, PCAT 75 also get in.

of course higher is better:) solid numbers help a lot when you do not have any unique pharmacy experience.

and you better start pharmacy volunteer NOW,or job shadow, it helps

for the $85, don't worry, i sent mine around 6 weeks ago, they has not cash yet. I checked with them, they already have my file and did the work, they just don't like money as we do:)

They (the Edge services) called my job today about me so I guess they got my money!

That does suck...sorry to hear that. I just checked and my financial aid info is not up on ISIS either. When I called they said they would mail out the letters towards the end of July/beginning of August. Well, why has ForcedEntry's been posted and not everyone elses? Also, is receiving the money the same as it was for undergrad....we don't get our money until approximately two weeks after classes start?

Also, has anyone had their $85 Edge check cashed yet? It's been two weeks and mine hasn't been cashed. (Whenever I get money in the mail I do nearly everything in my power to get it in the bank!)

I just looked at my bank statement and they cashed my check yesterday. I think I sent in the check about three weeks ago.

I called the COP and health clinic to see if we had to be finished with our Hep B shots by the fall. I was told, "No, you have to finish the 3rd by April 2008." Maybe everyone else knew that, but I was getting worried since my last one will be very close to the deadline. Also, you don't need to finish the PPD right away to get cleared for registration. Again, maybe everyone else knew this, but I figured I'd pass along the info.

I called the COP and health clinic to see if we had to be finished with our Hep B shots by the fall. I was told, "No, you have to finish the 3rd by April 2008." Maybe everyone else knew that, but I was getting worried since my last one will be very close to the deadline. Also, you don't need to finish the PPD right away to get cleared for registration. Again, maybe everyone else knew this, but I figured I'd pass along the info.

Thanks for the info fsupharmguy. I didn't know that you don't need to finish PPD right away. I thought you have to get everything done (except for the Hep B) befor July 13

Ok, it seems as if my "verification" forms for UF for financial aid have finally been accepted. I don't know if I can get loans this year (well, not for certain, I can assume since I got them the previous years), and I am anxious to see how much they will alot me. Has anyone checked isis to see if their verfication forms went through if they had to submit them? Do you have loans present on your reward list or not yet? I don't remember, but exactly how long do they usually take until we can find out how much we can receive? I should call them tomorrow, i suppose... those damned lines are always busy, though:mad:

Has anyone checked isis to see if their verfication forms went through if they had to submit them? Do you have loans present on your reward list or not yet? I don't remember, but exactly how long do they usually take until we can find out how much we can receive?

I was selected for verification also. I called UF to ask how I go about completing the forms they requested because, at the time, I did not have a Gatorlink ID to gain access to ISIS. After gaining access, I found out one of the forms was to verify U.S. citizenship. I was told I had to do this in person at the financial aid office because they don't accept photocopies of passports, birth certificates, etc. So anyway, I drove all the way to Gainesville from St. Pete to show them my passport, which they photocopied. Mike Menefee was the person assisting me. He then told me that I could have just taken my documentation to the St. Pete campus (hmmph!).

In ISIS, it took them weeks to "accept" my paperwork after I provided it to them. Then after several weeks, they said I needed to fill out some other form as well. I mailed this form in to them this time about two weeks ago. This form currently has the status "Received," but not yet "Accepted."

Anyway, when I talked to Mike the first time (when I had driven there) he told me that financial aid package notifications wouldn't be sent out until the end of July or early August because they needed to finalize what their financial aid budget was going to be first. I realize at least one person (ForcedEntry) has his award already displaying in ISIS, but Mike told me not to expect to see anything until late July at the earliest. That's about all I know...

He did recommend that I go ahead and sign up for EFT (electronic funds transmission) through ISIS because it is the fastest way to get your money once it gets awarded.

oh, wow, that was quite some hassle you had to go through! thanks for the info, now i wont have to worry as much...limited funds... i wonder how limited "limited" means. oh, is mike minefee(sp?) the fin aid guy for UF or for the COP specifically?

I wonder why so many of us were selected for verification. The UF Finaid website says they select 30% but I wonder if it's mostly grad students.

They received my documents on 6/7 and haven't accepted them yet. This is all so nerve wracking.....I can't go to school without loans and they know that as my EFC was $0. Did anyone else who was selected have an efc of $0? Perhaps that's why they're picking on me.

I wonder why so many of us were selected for verification. The UF Finaid website says they select 30% but I wonder if it's mostly grad students.

They received my documents on 6/7 and haven't accepted them yet. This is all so nerve wracking.....I can't go to school without loans and they know that as my EFC was $0. Did anyone else who was selected have an efc of $0? Perhaps that's why they're picking on me.
i talked to a lady at the fin aid office while dropping off my forms, and she said they arent "random" verifications, they are for those who may have something "different" with their fafsa, like becoming a pharm student :) or not turning in tax forms, etc... they are to complete the fafsa form completely so that you can be processed for fin aid...if that makes sense. im not positive, but thats what i was told. the forms take a long time to be "accepted". it took me weeks after i dropped it off in person before they were accepted...
my EFC was large since im considered a dependent, though i am pretty much doing it on my own and taking out loans. i dont understand how i can get out of the dependency status... i tried to put that down this year, and they still had a EFC up for me. argh

I got picked for verification too. :mad: I feel your pain guestxyz. It seems that a lot of us are picked for verification. They told me to personally bring in my proof of citizenship, not photocopying, mailing or faxing. So I drove all the way from Orlando to Gainsville to show my passport which they COPIED. Since I've never been to UF in Gainsville before, I ended up parking very far away and had to walk from one end of the campus to the other. I ended getting blisters all over my feet...Ugh
I stopped by the office for student affair to see if my stuffs have gotten there. I asked Elizabeth when I should expect to receive final admission letter. She told me that they don't send those letters out until the beginning of school. This puzzled me a little. If they wait till the beginning of the semester to rescind their acceptance to some poor soul, then the waitlisted people won't know their fate until it's almost too late to get loan or put their priorities in order.
I was very impressed with the new college of pharmacy building there. It's modern, nice and clean. It almost made me rethink my campus choice, just kidding. I don't think I would like the parking situation there at all.
To make the most of my visit, I also visited the bookstore which I also like. I bought a bunch of notebooks and binders with UF logos on them to get ready for school. I'm pumped and ready now. Bring it on pharmacy school! :)

I was picked for verification a while ago, soon after I submitted my FAFSA. I sent in the form they needed the next day and it was accepted pretty quickly. However, I still have not received my financial aid package.

I sent in my manila envelope on Monday. I sent it certified mail with return receipt so I can find out when they receive it. I did the same thing when I sent in the immunization form and the background check separately to their respective places, and I received the return receipt already. So, things are in the works. I am antsy to find out my financial aid package, though.

is mike minefee(sp?) the fin aid guy for UF or for the COP specifically?

Mike Menefee is a financial aid person for COP specifically. His specific title is "Assistant Director - Student Financial Affairs."

Another financial aid contact for the COP specifically is Dayna Beck. Her official title is "Financial Aid Coordinator - Student Financial Affairs."

I was picked for verification a while ago, soon after I submitted my FAFSA. I sent in the form they needed the next day and it was accepted pretty quickly. However, I still have not received my financial aid package.

I sent in my manila envelope on Monday. I sent it certified mail with return receipt so I can find out when they receive it. I did the same thing when I sent in the immunization form and the background check separately to their respective places, and I received the return receipt already. So, things are in the works. I am antsy to find out my financial aid package, though.
the financial aid office said by the end of this month we should know... though the site says the end of next month. i dont know. on the plus side, my Edge Managment check was cashed :D

No, it's because you're a blonde. :lol:

LOL How did you know? I used to hear blonde jokes all the time from people, usually frat boys at parties in undergrad, but when I would shoot back with a sarcastic comment the jokes would stop. *sigh* It's tough being a smart blonde! :p

Or are we friends on facebook? Dang...people should tell have their SDN name in their facebook profile. But I think I've figured out who you are ForcedEntry...watch out!

Still waiting on my finaid documents to move into that "accepted" category.

It is good to know my credit was good enough to get approved for an apartment though without proving my income (or lack of).

Can't believe we start in 2 months! Did anyone get word that they've moved to fully accepted once everything was submitted? Also I sent my transcripts to the college of pharmacy like it was stated to in the acceptance letter but they haven't been updated on isis in the transcripts section. I don't know if I should be concerned or not. My college charges $5 a pop to send a transcript so I try to send out as few transcripts as possible.

i dont understand how i can get out of the dependency status... i tried to put that down this year, and they still had a EFC up for me. argh

Next year you'll be independent since you'll be a grad student. And then if you've got an EFC of $0 like me you'll be selected for verification again! :D

Or are we friends on facebook? Dang...people should tell have their SDN name in their facebook profile. But I think I've figured out who you are ForcedEntry...watch out!

muhuhahahaha

hint: arggggh matey!

Hi

Ahh I have all my papers, but I have been lazy and I will send them this friday 29th. I only need to purchase the insurance and send my transcripts for summer term.

By the way I got a C in my physics II lab is that a problem. Do you think they will back up and not accept me??? I got A's in my anatomy lecture and lab and got a B in my physics lecture.

Hi

Ahh I have all my papers, but I have been lazy and I will send them this friday 29th. I only need to purchase the insurance and send my transcripts for summer term.

By the way I got a C in my physics II lab is that a problem. Do you think they will back up and not accept me??? I got A's in my anatomy lecture and lab and got a B in my physics lecture.

If they don't have a problem with you being lazy and missing the deadline, I doubt they will have an issue with a "C" in physics.

The orientation page has a lot of new information on it. Yay more checks to mail in!! I think I am only going to buy 1 polo since others have said they rarely had to wear it.

omg, how much money will i be spending before class even starts! i just found out last years background check was only 47, and ours was 80. now the $84 Cd and $40 ID card. and the polo, but thats cheap... jesus! so much money. :(

i am only getting one polo, too.

and dont forget on july 2nd go on isis and complete your computer competancy thing... by august 2nd, that is.

and whats with the headset. do students really use it? does anyone know anyone in the college currently who has used it? maybe not, since this is the first year they are requiring it...

damn, so all this stuff has to be in in less than 3 weeks time.

and did you notice we wont be receiving our final acceptance letter until the middle of fall? so much for waiting up on it. lol

I went out to dinner and started to vent about Amanda's "sharing" of the orientation info.

2nd margarita = "WTF...they just put **** up on the website without letting anyone know..."

3rd margarita = "Damn these tacos and tamales are good"

4th margarita = "HTF do they expect me to meet a deadline when I wouldn't have had a f'in clue it existed unless she informed me here on SDN"

Anywho... get home and see the email...phew! They don't think I am a mind reader.

annnnnddddd the admit letter in mid fall? Oh WTF is that? So I give you $13K on time and you will "get around" to admitting me?

Le sigh
ClassicPepe%5B1%5D

I just discovered Monday is $2.00 rita night....pharm school is gonna be rough!

I went out to dinner and started to vent about Amanda's "sharing" of the orientation info.

2nd margarita = "WTF...they just put **** up on the website without letting anyone know..."

4th margarita = "HTF do they expect me to meet a deadline when I wouldn't have had a f'in clue it existed unless she informed me here on SDN"

Anywho... get home and see the email...phew! They don't think I am a mind reader.

annnnnddddd the admit letter in mid fall? Oh WTF is that? So I give you $13K on time and you will "get around" to admitting me?

Hey...at least I shared! And whats with the next to impossible to navigate COP website? *Chandler voice* Could they have any more links on it?

Do they still have $1 drinks at Bricktown 54 on Mondays? *sigh* I miss those days. I'm lucky I lived REALLY close.

Le sigh
ClassicPepe%5B1%5D

so where are the $2 margatitas.... :rolleyes:

i think Marcy Davis hates us.

i think Marcy Davis hates us.

You know she has only herself to blame. Communication from the school to the students was absent until the beginning of this week.