University of Florida - The Manilla Envelope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know she has only herself to blame. Communication from the school to the students was absent until the beginning of this week.

I agree with you there. I hope I've met all the requirements....I guess in mid fall semester if I don't receive a full acceptance letter I'll know I didn't ;)

Pharmacists are very detail oriented and check and recheck stuff....they should know this about us as students. We just like making sure everything is ok.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't want to be the hated poster, but I think Marcy has handled herself well. She's been a lot more patient than I would have been since the information letters do mention specific time periods.

Maybe the communication from the school hasn't been that great so far since the school just accepted the last batch of students? Although I will say that every time I have had a question, I have either been able to get a hold of someone in the pharmacy office or received a response later that day.

Anyone know for sure how we are going to pay tuition...I'm assuming its that we pay for one semester at a time, or is it just one bulk payment?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know for sure how we are going to pay tuition...I'm assuming its that we pay for one semester at a time, or is it just one bulk payment?
i dont know for sure, but i can safely assume it will be the same as UF undergrad... one big bulk payment within 2 weeks or so of school starting. and one semester at a time, so 2 big bulk payments... when, i guess, referring to the way you worded it, wouldnt be a bulk payment at all. *sigh* im too lazy to edit.

That sounds about right. Most of the time you'll have all your finical aid stuff ready (including loans) with rewards and disbursement before classes start and tuition will be subtracted from your anticipated aid then you pay the remember out of pocket if needed.

UF College of Pharmacy
Class of 2011

Okay I emailed McMenkenzie and he said that the tuition fee is due on September 7/07 for the semester. So I am assuming its per semester.

I'm a 2nd year student, and it is per semester. There's a bit of a lag for fall semester, from when it starts to when you get your money, so make sure to budget for that.

Am I the only loser who was disappointed the computer assignment wasn't posted? I called the school and was told they weren't sure when it will be available to the students.

Am I the only loser who was disappointed the computer assignment wasn't posted? I called the school and was told they weren't sure when it will be available to the students.

Have you checked again recently? I logged into WebCT at around 10:30 PM and the computer assignment showed up for me. There were also about 8 other people who were online at the same time as me.

I finished two of the assignments (Confidentiality Statement and HIPAA & Privacy - General Awareness). I'll work on the others later, but for tonight I'm tired.

I still can't see them! I have emailed Dr. Ried and the UF Helpdesk. Is it under CourseList?

Hmmm...perhaps they are experiencing technical glitches? After I logged off, I logged back in after I received a PM from StringTheorist. When I first logged in, I could no longer see any of the assignments that I had seen earlier this evening. I logged out and logged back in and was then able to see them again. :confused:

After I log in to WebCT and click on the "Computer Competency and Technology Orientation Site - 2007-2008," another screen appears with hyperlinks to "Assignments," "Contact Info," "External Links," and "Help Resources."

When you log in do you see those, StringTheorist?

When I click on "Assignments," there is list of 13 individual links to separate assignments. It appears that it would take quite a bit longer than an hour to complete all of them based on the first two I completed, even though in the letter from UF it said it may only take some people an hour to complete. There is a lot of material to read, so getting through quickly would have to be based not only on computer savvy but speed-reading and comprehension ability. :cool:

Anyway, is there anyone else having trouble seeing the assignments besides StringTheorist?

After I log in to WebCT and click on the "Computer Competency and Technology Orientation Site - 2007-2008," another screen appears with hyperlinks to "Assignments," "Contact Info," "External Links," and "Help Resources."

When you log in do you see those, StringTheorist?

When I click on "Assignments," there is list of 13 individual links to separate assignments. It appears that it would take quite a bit longer than an hour to complete all of them based on the first two I completed, even though in the letter from UF it said it may only take some people an hour to complete. There is a lot of material to read, so getting through quickly would have to be based not only on computer savvy but speed-reading and comprehension ability. :cool:

Anyway, is there anyone else having trouble seeing the assignments besides StringTheorist?
aha, see, i dont have "Computer Competency and Technology Orientation Site - 2007-2008" showing up for me. damn you, vista. thanks so much for all your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been able to login yet. I didn't realize we had to tell them our gatorlink name until they said in the email. I suppose I will give them a few more days and then contact the computing help desk to see if I can gain access.

I emailed the UF Helpdesk yesterday night and they called me at 9 this morning! Wow, are they on the ball or what!
So they told me they dont see anything on my site, and the problem is with the COP. So he calls the COP WebCT person, and they emailed me saying my GatorID name wasn't put on the list, that it was probably the COP running behind in something, and he added me and it shows up now. :D

and thanks guestxyz, again, for your help

I went through all the assignments and finished all but two. One is the Elluminate Practice session because practice sessions aren't scheduled to start until Monday, July 9 (the earliest one). There are seven sessions scheduled throughout the months of July and August. You will need a microphone/headset combo to attend the practice sessions.

The other assignment that I didn't complete is submitting a file using "Turn-it-in." When I clicked on the "Turn-it-in 2007-2008" link, it gave me a "WebCT Powerlink Error" message stating "Class does not exist in Turnitin database for account. Please contact your instructor for further details."

I emailed Dr. Ried about it. I'll post if I hear anything from him.

It took me about 4 hours to get through it all. I guess I am one of the slow ones, since it didn't take me just one hour to do them all.

I went through all the assignments and finished all but two. One is the Elluminate Practice session because practice sessions aren't scheduled to start until Monday, July 9 (the earliest one). There are seven sessions scheduled throughout the months of July and August. You will need a microphone/headset combo to attend the practice sessions.

The other assignment that I didn't complete is submitting a file using "Turn-it-in." When I clicked on the "Turn-it-in 2007-2008" link, it gave me a "WebCT Powerlink Error" message stating "Class does not exist in Turnitin database for account. Please contact your instructor for further details."

I emailed Dr. Ried about it. I'll post if I hear anything from him.

It took me about 4 hours to get through it all. I guess I am one of the slow ones, since it didn't take me just one hour to do them all.
when you say "to attend the practice sessions" and that there are 7 scheduled throughout july and august... this is all online, right? are they live things to "attend" or just sessions that pop up every half-week or so you have to complete. I am just wondering how the headset is worked in...

you know, i could find this out on my own, but the way you talk about it, i have a feeling i wont get there for a week or so O_O

*breathes heavily*
i finished! except for the elluminate thing, of course. :)

they said you only needed an 85%+ for the biological fluids one, right?

Yes, the Elluminate practice session is all online. The purpose is to demonstrate that you are equipped to participate in an online classroom environment. That's why you need the headphones and microphone for your computer.

Did you have a problem with using Turn-it-in, too? Dr. Ried replied to me within 20 minutes of me sending him an email that he forwarded my issue to "media help." I haven't checked yet, if it has been fixed already.

I can't recall if there was a minimum required score on the Biological Fluid test. Perhaps someone else who has gone through it already can let us know?

Yuppers. Looks like they fixed the Turn-it-in software. The UF Computing Help Desk posted an announcement at 10 PM on Tuesday, 07/03/07 announcing that it has been fixed. I used it and it worked fine. I think its ability to detect plagiarism from Internet sources is pretty amazing.

Anyways, Happy 4th of July, fellow Gators! :hardy:

I feel left out that I can't do the assignments since I'm still not able to login to WebCT. It says it can't find my username. I called the helpdesk and they said the COP has to put me in and they can't......oh well I guess I just wait. Yesterday they responded to my email regarding my gatorlink name, so I guess it will be next week before I can get in.

Financial aid did accept all my verification documents yay! I wonder how long until I get the financial aid award.

Happy 4th!

I've finished all of them except the Elluminate one and the Submit a File (second one).

For the Sumbmit a File one, when I try to add the attachment, nothing happens when I click on "Add Attachments". Is there something I'm missing? Anyone else having this problem?

N/m i figured it out. had to update my java.

Is it just me, or have the St. Pete campus people not been told about Web CT yet? Did you all hear about it with your orientation materials? I haven't gotten this info yet. I have a gatorlink and password, though.

I feel left out that I can't do the assignments since I'm still not able to login to WebCT. It says it can't find my username. I called the helpdesk and they said the COP has to put me in and they can't......oh well I guess I just wait. Yesterday they responded to my email regarding my gatorlink name, so I guess it will be next week before I can get in.

Financial aid did accept all my verification documents yay! I wonder how long until I get the financial aid award.

Happy 4th!
we should hear about financial aid in late july

Is it just me, or have the St. Pete campus people not been told about Web CT yet? Did you all hear about it with your orientation materials? I haven't gotten this info yet. I have a gatorlink and password, though.

Hi volleychica,

I will attend the St. Pete campus and have been working on the computer assignments. Marcy Davis sent me an email (and I assume everyone else) on 06/25/2007 regarding information being available via the Orientation 2007 link at the UF COP website. All the information is in the link provided by StringTheorist.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I still cant see anything in WebCT and ive had a user name and pass word for like a month now

If you can't see anything yet, I suggest contacting the UF Computing Help Desk.

what are we supposed to do for financial aid, or are they just gonna contact us and tell us what to do?
well, you should have filled out a fafsa form.
then they might request a few more forms filled out.
i think if your EFC is low, you should have received word of fin aid by now. im not positive, just a guess.
if you need other loans, like the federal stafford unsubsidized loans, they should pop up on ISIS by the end of this month.
http://www.cop.ufl.edu/studaff/fabook.pdf <--you should read this as well

...I'm still not able to login to WebCT. It says it can't find my username. I called the helpdesk and they said the COP has to put me in and they can't......oh well I guess I just wait. Yesterday they responded to my email regarding my gatorlink name, so I guess it will be next week before I can get in.

Same here...the IT guy said that COP has to submit my username to the registar. Minutes later I received an email from UF IT stating my ticket was closed...NOOOOO I CAN'T LOGIN!

For some strange reason me thinks the left hand isn't talking to the right hand in Gainesville OR St. Pete.

hey guys, i was having the same problem as you... i couldnt log in bc my name wasnt in the system. i contacted the UF Computing Help Desk: [email protected] and they then contacted this guy here: [email protected], who added me to the WebCT list. I hope that helps.

I started working on the assignments, although I thought for some reason they would check off or go away once completed. Oh well.

They have my name wrong on there...grr. I sent an email to the helpdesk, I don't want it to become a problem later on or anything.

Ya i called the help desk and everything was solved. Just finished the assign. and got to send in the two certificates.

For the headsets, are there any that anybody would reccomend? I don't want to spend a bundle, but I want a decent set...

THESE are a great set. Invest in the Best Buy "protection plan" and you can turn them in every 6-8 months for a new pair.

I just attended the first Elluminate session with 2 other students, and it was a 30 minute overview of how to use the tools. They asked a few questions, and it was stress-free. :)

Soooo this may be old news to some, but what the hell...

Dig around the UF COP website. They added a lot of content.

Our first exam is 9/11 (pathophys) followed by medicinal chem on 9/13.

So much for the 3 day Bahamian cruise I was going to take from 9/7 - 9/10 :mad:

Soooo this may be old news to some, but what the hell...

Dig around the UF COP website. They added a lot of content.

Our first exam is 9/11 (pathophys) followed by medicinal chem on 9/13.

So much for the 3 day Bahamian cruise I was going to take from 9/7 - 9/10 :mad:

Duh they've had that up for a while. :p

I'm taking my 3 day Bahamian cruise 10-18 which we don't have any exams then. Who knows about required class attendance then though so Im holding off on making the reservations. Jealous?

I cannot view the Biological Fluids Precautions streaming video presentation. It says I need "audio codec," but Microsoft won't let me download it because it is for Windows 2000, Millenium, XP, etc. and I have Windows Vista. Has anyone else ran into this problem with Windows Vista or does everyone have XP as their operating system? I can view the video on my old laptop with XP, but it's not wireless and I need to watch it on my new laptop. I called the media help desk and left a message. I also e-mailed them but haven't gotten a response yet. It is driving me nuts! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Duh they've had that up for a while. :p

I'm taking my 3 day Bahamian cruise 10-18 which we don't have any exams then. Who knows about required class attendance then though so Im holding off on making the reservations. Jealous?

A. you suck
2. Royal Caribbean? Maybe I will shift my dates :p

I cannot view the Biological Fluids Precautions streaming video presentation. It says I need "audio codec," but Microsoft won't let me download it because it is for Windows 2000, Millenium, XP, etc. and I have Windows Vista. Has anyone else ran into this problem with Windows Vista or does everyone have XP as their operating system? I can view the video on my old laptop with XP, but it's not wireless and I need to watch it on my new laptop. I called the media help desk and left a message. I also e-mailed them but haven't gotten a response yet. It is driving me nuts! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

ooooooo I had the same problem...let me sober up and I will try to remember the work around. We can rebuild it...we have the technology!

A. you suck
2. Royal Caribbean? Maybe I will shift my dates :p

Carnival....out of Port Canaveral. Thurs, Fri and Sat. Yea it may not be as convenient as Tampa to you but what the hey. Do you need a passport to go to the Bahamas? Getting conflicting answers on that...the bf doesn't have one and by the time I found out our school dates it may be too late (he doesn't want to spend $100 if not necessary). You and him could talk about Marine stuff since you were in at the same time....old farts :p

I'm kinda liking this internet class idea. We'll see how much free time it gives us though. I really haven't been able to do a lot of traveling because of school and work and I would like to take a few long weekends I guess I'll see how it goes. When I was in business school I actually did better with the internet classes....or maybe it's because they were easy! :)

Carnival....out of Port Canaveral. Thurs, Fri and Sat. Yea it may not be as convenient as Tampa to you but what the hey. Do you need a passport to go to the Bahamas? Getting conflicting answers on that...the bf doesn't have one and by the time I found out our school dates it may be too late (he doesn't want to spend $100 if not necessary). You and him could talk about Marine stuff since you were in at the same time....old farts :p

U.S. citizens traveling to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or countries in the Caribbean region who have applied for, but not yet received passports, can re-enter the United States by air by presentation of a government issued photo identification and Department of State official proof of application for a passport through September 30, 2007. The federal government is making this accommodation for air travel due to longer than expected processing times for passport applications in the face of record-breaking demand.

While the old farts are swapping war stories, you and my GF can play with your Bratz. :p

we have to do it on the computer we'll be using when school starts?
you don't HAVE to do it on your comp for school to get it done, but you should so you can make sure your computer has everything ready. what im saying is... you can do it on any comp just to get the assignments out of the way. BUT you should redo them sometime on your personal comp so that everything is set up for when classes start.

All Microsnot Vista users should run into this same issue. HERE is a direct link to the audio codec you need.

Why the *#@$ UF is using this antiquated audio codec is beside me.../end rant

we have to do it on the computer we'll be using when school starts?

One of the main reasons they are having us do this is to address any IT issue now, rather than once classes start. That being said...it's a damn good idea to use the computer you plan on attending classes with. If it is more than one, i.e. I will be using three different computers, you should test each basic function on each computer.

Bratz are SO cool.

I knew it!

All Microsnot Vista users should run into this same issue. HERE is a direct link to the audio codec you need.

Why the *#@$ UF is using this antiquated audio codec is beside me.../end rant

One of the main reasons they are having us do this is to address any IT issue now, rather than once classes start. That being said...it's a damn good idea to use the computer you plan on attending classes with. If it is more than one, i.e. I will be using three different computers, you should test each basic function on each computer.

I knew it!

UF needs to get with it and get use Apple!

UF needs to get with it and get use Apple!

Don't talk to me about Apple until they develop ports for OS X.

Once again they are missing the boat. Everyone knows MACs are 10x the computer than Windows based. But, they didn't market it correctly AND get comparable software (or ports) until PCs cornered the market share in the business sector (all but graphical). Then they "revolutionize" the mp3 market with the ipod (crap). Why can't you use it like a HDD? Same damn reason they lost the market on desktops (let go asshats!). Now they have the iphone, which should take the world by storm and in some ways is, but they release it before they have a comparable Palm application (and ports!). And to top it all off, now the copycats over at MSnot are going to mimic the iphone GUI (hello Palm Vista!) and now my PDA will run as ****ty as my new lappy ("typing a negative message about Vista. Allow or Deny?").

Why can't Google just get on with their world domination already?

/le grrr...end hijack

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...