University of Cincinnati c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JHUNBC said:
I have seen that website. I also remember hearing about the brand-spanking new Neurosciences Institute they were constructing during our interview dates. (Though I can't seem to find much regarding the institute on the UC website...)

Don't get me wrong--from what I've read, Cincinnati has a great neurosurgery department. I think the medical school as a whole is one of the more underappreciated and under-rated schools out there. Twice in the last 4 days I've had physicians comment on the quality of UC's graduates. One in particular said that he "would hire a Bearcat for a residency just knowing they graduated from Cincinnati". He added "Of course, I work in the Primary Care field. I don't know how the other departments rank."

The more I've read in the forums, the more I've come to realize that the prestige of individual departments matter most when it comes to applying for residency programs. If the University of Joe Schmoe COM had the number-one ranking in otolaryngology, and that was what I was interested in, it would matter more so that I had received my clinical training there than the overall low ranking of the school as a whole.

Case in point, Cincinnati does have two rather highly-ranked neurosurgery departments in two different hospitals (reference: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/rankings/specihqneur.htm ). But if I plan to pursue neurosurgery as a specialty, I want to maximize my application chances by receiving the best clinical training possible.

Here is the Neuro building you are talking about.
http://www.med.uc.edu/neurology/

UC really is under rated, I couldnt be happy going here. It seems every department there is very highly ranked (top 30 or better) and they do have amazing opportunities in both research and clinical. I also liked UC because they had a lot of innovative programs like the MSP to offer students. Not to mention enormous amounts of construction that will result in brand new libraries (there library is already one of the top 3 in the country in most areas), brand new lab space adding research dollars, and new atrium/student area - and thats just stuff in the next yr. They have alot of stuff going on construction wise for the next 5 years....

Although you aksed for a MS3 or 4 to answer this and I am sure they will, I am 99% sure you can do elective rotations at other hospitals. I remember that from the talk Dr. Manuel gave during the interview day. I think core rotations have to be done at UC though. Either way you won't be in a bad position.

Members don't see this ad.

Third year basically all the rotations are set in stone and have to be taken at the UC affiliated hospitals. You have 2 selectives of 2 weeks each where you chose from like 10 different specialties. There is a 2 week neurosurgery selective offered. Other than that its all peds, OBGYN, Surgery, IM etc. Fourth year has 12 weeks of required rotations (8 weeks of Acting Internship, 4 weeks of a neuroscience rotation) and those must be done at UC. Beyond that you have 24 weeks of electives, of which 12 weeks must be at UC. So you have 12 weeks to do away rotations. Hope that helps

Any out of staters see the OOS tuition next yr of 45,000. ouch. :( Total budget is 65,000. Maybe I am glad that I havent gotten my financial aid package yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
BigRedMachine said:
Third year basically all the rotations are set in stone and have to be taken at the UC affiliated hospitals. You have 2 selectives of 2 weeks each where you chose from like 10 different specialties. There is a 2 week neurosurgery selective offered. Other than that its all peds, OBGYN, Surgery, IM etc. Fourth year has 12 weeks of required rotations (8 weeks of Acting Internship, 4 weeks of a neuroscience rotation) and those must be done at UC. Beyond that you have 24 weeks of electives, of which 12 weeks must be at UC. So you have 12 weeks to do away rotations. Hope that helps

Yes it does, thanks. In your experience, is it relatively easy (on both sides--UC and the "other" school) to secure these slots? I'd figure that as competitive as some rotations are, it would make it that much difficult to land a spot if you aren't even a student at that school.

JHUNBC said:
Hey everyone,

I, like Messerschmitts, have been holding onto hope for some waitlists. But I think it's fairly safe to say at this point that I'll be a Bearcat in the fall.
If you get taken off a waitlist, think it over a bit. Maybe it's because UCinn was my top acceptance for a long time, but I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake by withdrawing from UCinn after a school called me post-May 15th. From my visit there, the school really is under-rated. It's just imo not located in the best area.

pls accept me said:
If you get taken off a waitlist, think it over a bit. Maybe it's because UCinn was my top acceptance for a long time, but I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake by withdrawing from UCinn after a school called me post-May 15th. From my visit there, the school really is under-rated. It's just imo not located in the best area.

Although I agree its not loacated in the best area, it seems like more than 70% of med schools are not located in great areas. SLU, ALbany, Temple, UMDNJ, Columbia, Tulane even pre katrina, JHU, and many more are in places you dont want to be walking around at night. I don't think Cinci is any worse off.

Do any current students have any comment on how they feel in the area around the medical center? Do they feel safe in the parking garages, here at WFUSOM which is actually in a nice area - the parking garage has constant robberies and breakins to cars. I personally wouldn't live around the med school but I think alot of people live in the student housing on MLK? But there are a ton of nice areas of Cinci to live in which are only 10-15 mins from the medical school. I bought a place in hyde park and loved it there, hyde park square is pretty nice and the neighborhood seems excellent. Other great areas from my extensive research seem to be Oakley (step down from hyde park), Mt. Lookout (most expensive area but nice square also), Mt. Washington (little far from the school), Mt. Adams, and some parts of Pleasant Ridge had beautiful little suburban looking streets. Hopefully this helps someone looking for housing. If anyone has any questions about housing let me know, I am no expert but did alot of research on every area, and also have some great websites about Cinci's neighborhoods, crime rates, etc.

I've heard a lot about purchasing housing (as opposed to renting), and when I brought this idea up with a few friends, they asked whether I would be able to pay a loan with a loan. i.e., do mortgage companies let medical students pay off their loans with student loans? To me, it just sounds kind of risky on their part. On the other hand, money is money, right? What are your thoughts?

JHUNBC said:
I've heard a lot about purchasing housing (as opposed to renting), and when I brought this idea up with a few friends, they asked whether I would be able to pay a loan with a loan. i.e., do mortgage companies let medical students pay off their loans with student loans? To me, it just sounds kind of risky on their part. On the other hand, money is money, right? What are your thoughts?

I got a mortgage. I have no income, got the best rate possible (6.125), have outstanding student debt from undergrad, etc. You can find a bank willing to do anything if you have a good sized down payment. The only problem is Cinci only budgets 500 or so per month so when you show the mortgage company that, your monthly payments will have to be below that. With taxes and Home owner insurance, which also goes into escrow each month with your mortgage company, it might be tough to do. Owning is better because rent is pure waste. You get no tax benefit, establish no credit, and give your money to someone, and live in a smaller place. But buying is tough without a steady income, down payment, and good credit score to get a lower annual rate. Also buying for 4 years means you will have to sell in four years which may be a pain. Also closing costs add up real fast. An inspection was 500$, bank fees - 3400, random other things too. So you could do what you are asking, but you have to ask yourself will it be worth it with all the other costs associated with buying. And since you will be on a fixed income (federal aid) what happens if your roof blows off? or some other unexpected cost comes up.

BOBODR said:
Do any current students have any comment on how they feel in the area around the medical center? Do they feel safe in the parking garages,

I have worked at UC for the past 2.5 years and I park in the same garage that we will park in as students- I feel very safe in the parking lot (even at night) and I don't know anyone who has had their car broken into- but I guess there have been a few since there are signs up to not leave anything valuable showing in your car-

Does anyone have any suggestions for a kind of labtop to get for school? I'm pretty sure that I want to get a laptop as opposed to a PC, I just don't know what kind to get. Also, I don't want to spend a ton of money either. Does the school have any suggestions?
Thanks

Hey Guys,

Just got the word last week that I will be joining the UC team in the fall. Still can't believe it. I am totally broke so buying a house does not look like an option. I will probably be renting. Does anyone know which appartment complexes are the best? I am mainly concerned about safety, and not too far from campus, hopefully not too pricy. I was just wonderring bc I am an OOSer and I have no clue about Cinci. Is anyone watching the Germany/ Ecuador Soccer match right now. GReat game.

Can't wait to meet you all in the fall.

As far as a PC goes, there isn't really anything the school needs you to have, I would just do research to make sure it is reliable and will last you 4 years. You will really use it to check email, look at powerpoints etc, so reliability should be your biggest concern.

Apartment issue: I would look at the Clifton Gaslight district (area around the corner of Clifton and Ludlow) lots of grad students in a pretty cool area, fairly artsy and lost of cool international eateries etc. Rent is very reasonable. About a 5 min drive to school The area immediately across from the medical school and next to the undergrad campus can get pretty hairy in soime areas so I don't really reccomend it. The other area where most med students live is Hyde Park/ Mt Lookout area. Its about a 10-15 minute drive to school depending on the time of day. It is a little more expensive, though still definitely in the med school budget if you look for the good deals, it is a bit more yuppieish and has lots of young professionals. Very nice area with people out running and walking at literally almost every hour of the day. Lots of food, bar, gorcery and other shopping options too. (this is where I live)
So overall you can't go wrong with gaslight or Hyde Park/Mt Lookout. There are of course plenty of other areas where students live and are happy, but these are the 2 most popular. Oh, and avoid the Clifton Forum apartments. Seriously, don't let the online description fool you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am living in Hyde Park ...I highly reccommend the area. Moving there permanently in only 10 days :D

go to -http://medonestop.uc.edu/MedOneStop/home.aspx

go to services, then my services, type in your password, and there is lots of info there including lots about rentring apartments. Costs, safety, etc...

JHUNBC said:
I've got a question for some current UC students, preferably M3's or M4's. I've heard (maybe even on this thread) that Cincinnati allows its students to travel to other hospitals outside of the UC network to complete their clinical rotations. While UC is known for it's Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics, and would provide excellent clinical training for those pursuing careers in these fields, I am currently interested in neurosurgery and would like to complete a clerkship elsewhere. Does anyone have any information in regards to how many weeks/months 3rd and 4th year students are able to complete abroad? How easy it is to apply for these positions? Whether UC frowns upon its students going outside of its own network?

Anyone with any information would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

I'm not MS3, only MS2, but I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge. Away rotations are fairly common and definitely not frowned upon here at UCCOM. The difficulty of landing an away rotation depends on the popularity of the program. Most programs have a limited number of spots for outside medical students, so my advice is to contact the program of interest ASAP before 4th year or at very beginning of 4th year.

BTW the purpose of away rotations is not for "better" clinical training. The quality of clinical training is very subjective and depends on many variables, some of which are difficult to control (like how well you get along with the program's team). The purpose of an away is to show yourself off to a program that is at the top of your prospective list. It is more of an audition; if they like how you work and feel that you fit in well with their team, it can greatly help land you a spot at that program. Plus at the same time you can see first hand how well you like the program and its team.

Anyone else having technical difficulty with MedOneStop's "Getting to know the Entering Class of 2006" page of submitting your info and photo? I keep getting an error page.

Messerschmitts said:
Anyone else having technical difficulty with MedOneStop's "Getting to know the Entering Class of 2006" page of submitting your info and photo? I keep getting an error page.

Hahaha, Messerschmitts. I went to that page and found your profile (it was rather obvious). I haven't updated the profile myself though, but apparently some other people did and so they probably didn't have a problem with submitting photo.

Hassler said:
Hahaha, Messerschmitts. I went to that page and found your profile (it was rather obvious). I haven't updated the profile myself though, but apparently some other people did and so they probably didn't have a problem with submitting photo.

Well...what about you? :p Did you successfully enter your info and pic?

So I'm trying to access the "Meet the Class of 2006" section of the medonestop website but I'm having some difficulty. I log in, click on the link, and a window pops up with a picture of the College of Medicine Building in the background. That's pretty much it. I don't see any additional links to profiles, etc. Am I missing something? Is this website not written for macs? If so, A) I'm screwed because I have an iBook laptop and B) I won't be able to access this at all.

Thanks.

JHUNBC said:
So I'm trying to access the "Meet the Class of 2006" section of the medonestop website but I'm having some difficulty. I log in, click on the link, and a window pops up with a picture of the College of Medicine Building in the background. That's pretty much it. I don't see any additional links to profiles, etc. Am I missing something? Is this website not written for macs? If so, A) I'm screwed because I have an iBook laptop and B) I won't be able to access this at all.

Thanks.

At the top is an arrow to move forward. Its like a book, you turn the pages.

Well, it seems I have found my abode in Cincinnati for the coming school year at 3233 Vine St., right across from the University Hospital. Y'all come visit me when the time comes! :D I'm heading off to buy a certified cheque right now to mail them the deposit.

Hey, You have to click on the arrows above the pics on that page. It actually took me a while to figure it out too.

As for submitting the picture. Make sure the picture size isn't too big. That may be the problem.

good luck

where is the nearest catholic church to the school?

Messerschmitts said:
Well...what about you? :p Did you successfully enter your info and pic?

I've only entered my info, but not my pic :p

BOBODR said:
At the top is an arrow to move forward. Its like a book, you turn the pages.

runlolarun said:
Hey, You have to click on the arrows above the pics on that page. It actually took me a while to figure it out too.

As for submitting the picture. Make sure the picture size isn't too big. That may be the problem.

good luck

Thanks, I'm an idiot.

Not too much of the class has entered as of yet. I'm guilty as well.

JHUNBC said:
Thanks, I'm an idiot.

Not too much of the class has entered as of yet. I'm guilty as well.

No way - I opened up that link 3 times and all I saw was the picture of the school and didn't get it either. :D

Hello all. I am proud to be a fellow member of the UC Class of 2010. Quick question about utilities - Does anybody have any information about cable and/or internet packages? I think Cincinnati Bell and Time Warner are the primary Internet providers, but I don't know much about either of them and am trying to gather as much information as possible. Any help would be much appreciated. I am looking forward to meeting everyone in a little more than a month. Enjoy the rest of your summers until then. Later

wertdogg21 said:
Hello all. I am proud to be a fellow member of the UC Class of 2010. Quick question about utilities - Does anybody have any information about cable and/or internet packages? I think Cincinnati Bell and Time Warner are the primary Internet providers, but I don't know much about either of them and am trying to gather as much information as possible. Any help would be much appreciated. I am looking forward to meeting everyone in a little more than a month. Enjoy the rest of your summers until then. Later

I went with cinci bell for phone/direct tv/internet as they were cheaper and offered 25 off for each month for the first 6 months (150 in savgins) plus being cheaper than TWX for digital phone,roadrunner, and digital cable. Also if you do e-pay/autobill with Cinci bell you can save an additional 5 dollars per month while TWX doesnt offer that.

Probably a dumb question, but is the medical campus wireless? I can't seem to find much information on the UC website about Internet access. Thanks

To answer some recent questions:

1. There are a ton of Catholic churches in Cincinnati and around where you will most likely be living, so it comes down to preference. Seriously-- there are 4 I can think of within 10 min of my apartment. There are a bunch of traditional parishes with grade schools, etc. Xavier has Bellarmine Chapel-- that's where I go and I think it's great, and I know a few other students who go there too. I think UC might have a Catholic chapel too, but I haven't heard much about it.

2. Yes, the med school including the classrooms where lectures are held have wireless. This is a blessing and a curse.

3. I have Time Warner cable and internet, and it's been fine (internet is blazing fast... but expeeeeeensive!). However. I just want to warn you. If you try to call their customer service line, you'll be on hold for at least an hour. It is my theory that they do this so people can't cancel their ridiculously expensive cable easily (your bill will be cheap for like 3 mos, then steadily increase to like 2x what it initially was) So.... they have a "customer service center" on Ridge Ave, go there to set up appts etc, it's so much quicker and less frustrating than calling them on the phone.

thank you stargirl50

Hey all, did you guys get a confirmation screen or a redirection when you submitted your info for Big/Little Sib? I didn't and I'm getting a little paranoid that it didn't go through.

Darko said:
Hey all, did you guys get a confirmation screen or a redirection when you submitted your info for Big/Little Sib? I didn't and I'm getting a little paranoid that it didn't go through.

I ran into the same problem. They've been having some problems with the website. It wouldn't be a bad idea to send an email to [email protected] (Ms. Burns). She is in charge of orientation-type stuff. I emailed her and got the situation resolved pretty quickly.

any place around school to play ball? the only recreation i know of is the small weight room.

dtdfusion said:
any place around school to play ball? the only recreation i know of is the small weight room.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I'm bringing a basketball, football, all of my baseball equipment (don't ask me why), etc. I just hope there are places to use all of it, like a big common, grassy area.

wertdogg21 said:
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I'm bringing a basketball, football, all of my baseball equipment (don't ask me why), etc. I just hope there are places to use all of it, like a big common, grassy area.

Hopefully there are some decent chances for intramural football, b-ball, and softball. Can any current students comment on intramural sports at UCCOM?

BOBODR said:
Hopefully there are some decent chances for intramural football, b-ball, and softball. Can any current students comment on intramural sports at UCCOM?

Hmm...I'm actually not very sports. But I'll bring my Xbox and hold a Halo 2 tournament :p

wertdogg21 said:

There is the rec center on the undergrad campus that looks quite nice. It's included in our fees.

Messerschmitts said:
Hmm...I'm actually not very sports. But I'll bring my Xbox and hold a Halo 2 tournament :p

i'll bring my xbox, ps2, gc, and dslite just in case a couple of those must-play games come out. promised myself no next-gen stuff though.

Messerschmitts said:

I have already promised my self to quit halo 2 online and cancel my online subscrip...too addicting and time consuming. Gonna miss it though.

Hey, has anyone gotten their official offer of financial aid yet? Not the estimate, the official one. I haven't gotten it yet, I'm starting to worry. :(

Messerschmitts said:
Hey, has anyone gotten their official offer of financial aid yet? Not the estimate, the official one. I haven't gotten it yet, I'm starting to worry. :(

I havent gotten anything, not even the estimate. So I called them and they said the end of July the awards would go out.

BOBODR said:
I havent gotten anything, not even the estimate. So I called them and they said the end of July the awards would go out.

Thanks, I got the same answer.

What mapbook do people in Cincinnati use? Maybe Cincinnati isn't big enough to warrant a mapbook. Out here in SoCal, we use the Los Angeles County Thomas Guide, which is a big thick mapbook for finding anyplace in the county. I need a good street-level map of Cincinnati, and the AAA fold-out map that the adcom sent me isn't too convenient when driving (too big to fold out), plus I don't think the scale/"zoom" is close enough, some of the street names are tiny and can barely be read. I'd never find some of these places. I'm looking online, is Rand McNally's "Greater Cincinnati: Local Steet Detail" foldout map any good? What do local Cincinnatians use when they have to find some obscure alley? (Other than MapQuest!)

Has everyone filled out the questionnaire yet? There's a part about travel abroad and I was wondering what needs to be listed. I've been to a lot of places in my life and I don't know if I need to list them all? Should I just list the past year? Tried to call them but they put me on hold and then asked me to leave a message. Thanks!

Hi all! I just got off the waitlist and can't wait to come to UC this August! I'm from Cincy, so I can def. answer location type questions. I wrote at the beginning of this thread and then stopped out of despair a few months ago. I'm so happy to be back.

Punkinhead said:
Hi all! I just got off the waitlist and can't wait to come to UC this August! I'm from Cincy, so I can def. answer location type questions. I wrote at the beginning of this thread and then stopped out of despair a few months ago. I'm so happy to be back.

Congrats Punkinhead! I'm glad an actual girl will be attending UC with us, this thread was starting to turn into a sausage fest! :D Ha ha, j/k. So maybe you could answer my question about the maps. What map do you locals keep in your car, to find an obscure street?

Messerschmitts said:
Congrats Punkinhead! I'm glad an actual girl will be attending UC with us, this thread was starting to turn into a sausage fest! :D Ha ha, j/k. So maybe you could answer my question about the maps. What map do you locals keep in your car, to find an obscure street?
I don't know how many locals have maps in their cars... Cinti's a lot smaller than LA. :) I got a pretty nice one from my realtor, but usually gas stations and grocery stores have decent ones too.

BTW welcome to UC as well Punkin :) I'm glad to see another Wolverine come on down.

Hi, thanks for the welcome...

hmmm, I never really used a map all that much, Cincy really isn't too big. I think the map in the front of the yellow pages is good (old school I know) and then of course mapquest for specific locations. There are Cincinnati maps in gas stations as Darko (go blue) said, too. Good luck, I know it will be easy if you are from Cali with ridiculous traffic etc. (my brother lives in LA now, craziness) Plus maps must be taken with a grain of salt in Cincinnati, city of the orange barrels...hope that helps

I'll make it a 3rd former Wolverine who will be attending Cincy in the Fall.

I just got some of my immunizations today, and my left shoulder is killing me. :scared: