University of Cincinnati c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going down on a housing expedition June 7th & 8th, so if anyone would like me to scope out any specific places, let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

snumie said:
Hi All!

I just got my estimated financial aid package (snail mail)- I got nothing but federal loans- :thumbdown: but at least I am in :thumbup:

I work at UC right now and know the area fairly well- so If people want to ask questions about apartments etc... I am happy to try to help-

I live in East Walnut Hills- I am about 2 miles from the Hospital- My rent is 630 (utilities not included) and it is a two bedroom apartment in a house.

Hope to see you all in August. Snumie

Snumie, do you mind me asking if you were an instate or out of state applicant?

BOBODR said:
Snumie, do you mind me asking if you were an instate or out of state applicant?

I am an in state applicant-

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the estimated award letter. Wow, Need Access expects my family to contribute $13,583, and for me to contribute $5,575? I'm not sure where this money is going to come from! :p

Does anyone know what the "Grad Plus/Private Loans" are? Is this something I have to apply for separately?

I Wouldn't worry much about those family contribution stuff. You can still take out loans for all of it I am pretty sure. They have told us that though we fill that out, our parents are not expected to contribute. So that whole grad plus loan is that you can take it out instead of a private loan for anything you need covered past staffords etc. The good news is that it is government backed so if you die it is totally taken away and your estate is not responsible, it is eligible for federal consolidation, and you can use it in you economic hardship calculations when in residency (a debt/income ratio of federal loans so that you don't have to pay them while in residency) Bad news on them is that they have an interest rate of like 8%, compared to somewhere around 5% on a private loan. the other thing which you will learn soon, is that all your federal money is divided in 4 and given out in 3 and given out in 3 equal amounts. The problem with that is that the fall "financial term" is longer than the other 2, and you have a significant number of start up costs (apartment deposit, moving expenses, books, parking etc) A private loan however you can distribute however you want. So if you need to take out 3,000 dollars in either a private loan or gradplus, you can get all 3,000 up front (reccomended by the financial aid department and myself as it helps with start up costs and the extra months of expenses) or with this grad plus loan you would get 1,000 of it in august, 1,000 of it in dec and the last 1,000 in march. So there is my 2 cents on this stuff. Let me know if you guys have any more questions or need housing help. i can give somewebsites and such to get you started on apartments

Thanks a lot for your very helpful post, BigRedMachine! Are Gradplus loans and private loans both subject to captitation, ie. do they let you hold off on paying the interest while you're in school, and instead let it accumulate?

I'm very surprised that the gradplus loan has a higher interest rate than private loans, typically government loans have lower interests! So you recommend covering the gap with a private loan...just a standard loan from a bank?

Well it won't be a loan from a bank. It will be a loan from whatever lender you chose for your staffords. they give you a list of like 4 or 5 lenders that they reccomend. I use T.H.E. but there are several to chose from. These lenders all offer their private loans. So when you start doing your financial aid stuff, whatever gap there is between staffords and cost of attendance you fill out an application for a private loan with that lender then decide how you want the loan disubrsed etc. The grad plus loan would also be through this lender. All loans you take out you pay nothing on during medical school. Interest will accumulate on any non-subsidized loans starting the second you are given the money. So any non-subsidized staffords, grad plus, or private loans apply to this. So you pay nothing to any lender during school, unless of course you have the money and would like to. Dr. Burr the financial aid guy is reccomending the grad plus loan, but really I think you should look at it yourself and weigh the options. I reccomend looking at one of the lender sites (Total Higher Education, Medplus etc) and reading all the details. Good Luck with this whole mess

inflamesdjk02 said:
Anyone looking for a roommate?
I may need a roommate for the fall. I'm from in state and I'll be going to Cincy this weekend to look around for a place. I'm looking to live in the Hyde Park/Mt Lookout area but am also looking in O'bryonville, Norwood and Oakley also. They all seem to be very close in proximity and I haven't seen much difference in price. Anyone else considering a "random" roommate?

Me and my roomates are moving out of our house near UC. It is on a very nice street called Klotter Ave. 3 blocks from UG, and a mile or so away from the medschool. Rent is fantastic. The whole house was availible for rent (5br), but I think the top is now rented out, so the bottom floor is for rent (2br). If you are interested, go to http://www.uniquelivingspace.com/
The place we rent from is on Klotter, but Hosea is in the Gas Lamp area which is nice as well.

If/When you email the Landlord (Tom), please say that I referred you (we don't get a kickback, but it may help when we need our deposit bac).

Hope all is well for everyone and you are getting psyched for your medschool careers to begin!

I got in off the UC WL today and I am OOS. I cant believe i got in this early especially after hearing the horror stories about the UC WL from last yr. Anyway I am excited to be a bearcat!

BOBODR said:
I got in off the UC WL today and I am OOS. I cant believe i got in this early especially after hearing the horror stories about the UC WL from last yr. Anyway I am excited to be a bearcat!

CONGRATS Bobdr!!! I'm so happy for you, I know how much you liked the school and wanted to be a bearcat. You totally deserve it! I'm excited to meet you in August (Assuming I don't get off any other waitlists myself... :p ). I'm happy you did not share my fate from last cycle.

Messerschmitts said:
CONGRATS Bobdr!!! I'm so happy for you, I know how much you liked the school and wanted to be a bearcat. You totally deserve it! I'm excited to meet you in August (Assuming I don't get off any other waitlists myself... :p ). I'm happy you did not share my fate from last cycle.
Thanks Messer. I hope you get off the UCSD WL, if not see ya in August :thumbup:

BOBODR said:

Congrats BOBODR...I really do kind of wonder if you got my spot (also an OOSer). They'd have to have moved pretty quickly though; it sounds like you got called within an hour of my withdrawal.

Hope you have a great time at Cinci!

Members don't see this ad :)
BOBODR said:
Congrats BOBODR, I'll see you in August. How far from Cincy are you? Are you going to get a chance to come back and look for housing?

WiggyUD said:
Congrats BOBODR, I'll see you in August. How far from Cincy are you? Are you going to get a chance to come back and look for housing?

To answer ND2005 - I obviously dont know if I got your spot but I am glad u got into your dream school of Vandy. Coincidentally, opening a post for me :thumbup: I never got a call, it just says on my status page that I have been accepted and as letter mailed to me as of yesterday! A phone call would be nice though ;)

Wigg - I am trying to figure out some time to get up there in the end of May. I think I am going to buy a condo. Have no idea where. Hopefully within 15 mins of the school in a nice safe area. Perhaps in a suburb of Cinci, really have no idea about Cinci's layout. I am originally from NJ but am a NC resident for med apps purpose as I went to Wake Forest.

So I have already started looking at housing as i think I am going to go up memorial weekend to really find a place. I see a lot of nice stuff in "Blue Ash" neighborhood. I plan on buying a house and it looked like the stuff in that area was a little nicer than Hyde Park or Oakley. One of my friends who will also be going to UC next yr also said that Blue Ash is not a good choice though b/c the commute is really bad. I did mapquest and it says 13 minutes. Are there any current students who can comment on the commute, is there a lot of traffic that way or something? Is Blue Ash a good spot to be looking? Thanks.

-Bob

Yeah the commute from Blue Ash would not be fun in the morning. Really I think some will depend on how much of a class-goer you plan on being. For the most part class is pretty much optional. Only labs and small group sessions are mandatory. If you are not thinking you will be much of a class-goer, Blue Ash is not a bad option. if you pland on making the monring commute every day it would not be pleasant. Also alot depends on how much you are planning on spending. In the Hyde Park area where I live most of the houses are starting around $300,000. I am sure they get cheaper as you move out towards suburbia, but as you do that of course, the commute becomes worse. Also if you don't plan on going to class much, Northern Kentucky might not be a bad option either. Traffic is again a problem. But there are some very affordable nice communities

Thanks for the answer BRM. Can you give me an estimate of the time the commute from Blue Ash would take in the morning? Is the problem only during rush hour, so if I left at say 7:30 A.M. I would be ok? Because the distance doesnt look to far, I guess the problem is traffic? I plan on going to class almost all of the time.

I cant live in Northern Kentucky as I need to live in Ohio to gain instate tuition after the first year.

Thanks for the info.

I have never tried to drive from Blue Ash myself during rush hour, but I would guess that you would need to give yourself like 45 min at that time of the morning. There are days that you don't have class so early in the morning (so you wouldn't be driving at rush hour and it wouldn't take as long), but those are the minority. I would suggest visiting the area before you make any firm decisions about where to live. It's really hard to get a feel for the different neighborhoods online, no matter how much research you do.

Good luck, and congratulations on your acceptance! :)

I would agree with at least 30-45 minutes in the morning rush hour from Blue Ash. Traffic here is really bad for the size of the city. If there were to be an accident in the morning it would be at least an hour for you. During non-rush hour times i would say you are looking at 15-20 minutes depending on where you live. The last 2 years there has been a tuition recirpocity with Northern Kentucky. You can be a resident of the 2 or 3 counties adjacent to Ohio and receive the Ohio tuition rate. I would call the financial aid office for the details, but i know many students who live there, particularly those with homes because of the cheaper real estate. The commute will probably be about equally bad as Blue Ash, but if money is an issue this is an optionIf you are planning on going to class regularly though, I would really consider living in clifton/gaslight. hyde park, mount lookout, oakley, Eden Park etc. The daily drive will absolutely kill you. Not sure what your budget is, but some condos just opened across from school that seem really nice. Might want to check that out

Thanks for the anwers star and BRM. I will be looking in person on Memorial Weekend, I am just trying to get a feel on where to look. Not a fan of 1 hour traffic jams :thumbdown:

Bob

BOBODR said:
Thanks for the answer BRM. Can you give me an estimate of the time the commute from Blue Ash would take in the morning? Is the problem only during rush hour, so if I left at say 7:30 A.M. I would be ok? Because the distance doesnt look to far, I guess the problem is traffic? I plan on going to class almost all of the time.

I cant live in Northern Kentucky as I need to live in Ohio to gain instate tuition after the first year.

Thanks for the info.

The commute will be bad from blue ash/kenwood from 7-9 am and 4-6 pm. I agree that it will take you 30-45 minutes to commute during these times. Even during good traffic, I highly doubt it will take less than 20 minutes from blue ash unless you are driving 90mph and hit all green lights near school. Plus you need to add 5-10 minutes to park in the garage and walk into the medical center.

I also looked for a house before coming to UC med and opted to rent. Although renting isn't as good an investment, it made sense for me because of several reasons that you need to carefully consider before buying:
1) unless you land a local residency, you will need to sell a house/condo in 4 years. this can be stressful on top of all the other worries about moving/starting residency in another location. also, even houses/condos in nicer areas can take months to sell, meaning that there is a possibility of having two mortgages for the first several months of residency, and who knows where the housing market will be in 4 years?
2) Make sure you aren't over-extending your budget. houses and condos can be expensive to maintain, especially repairs, utilities, and landscaping/decorating. These expenses are minimal when you rent.
3) Make sure you will have time for the maintenance mentioned above. Time is limited in medical school, and I personally didn't want the added stress of maintaining a house and keeping good grades.

That said, here are some good options for you as you look at houses. Northern KY is the most affordable, and commuting across 471 isn't usually as bad as commuting 71 or 75. mt. adams, mt. lookout, hyde park have nice houses, but these houses were not within my budget when I looked. You might also consider housing on the west side of cincy. Cheviot, bridgetown, and and white oak have some nicer neighborhoods, and these houses are priced somewhere in between the prices of n. ky and hyde park, with a 15-20 minute commute that avoids 71 and 75. Also, you can find some decent houses in norwood.

DocMizzle said:
The commute will be bad from blue ash/kenwood from 7-9 am and 4-6 pm. I agree that it will take you 30-45 minutes to commute during these times. Even during good traffic, I highly doubt it will take less than 20 minutes from blue ash unless you are driving 90mph and hit all green lights near school. Plus you need to add 5-10 minutes to park in the garage and walk into the medical center.

I also looked for a house before coming to UC med and opted to rent. Although renting isn't as good an investment, it made sense for me because of several reasons that you need to carefully consider before buying:
1) unless you land a local residency, you will need to sell a house/condo in 4 years. this can be stressful on top of all the other worries about moving/starting residency in another location. also, even houses/condos in nicer areas can take months to sell, meaning that there is a possibility of having two mortgages for the first several months of residency, and who knows where the housing market will be in 4 years?
2) Make sure you aren't over-extending your budget. houses and condos can be expensive to maintain, especially repairs, utilities, and landscaping/decorating. These expenses are minimal when you rent.
3) Make sure you will have time for the maintenance mentioned above. Time is limited in medical school, and I personally didn't want the added stress of maintaining a house and keeping good grades.

That said, here are some good options for you as you look at houses. Northern KY is the most affordable, and commuting across 471 isn't usually as bad as commuting 71 or 75. mt. adams, mt. lookout, hyde park have nice houses, but these houses were not within my budget when I looked. You might also consider housing on the west side of cincy. Cheviot, bridgetown, and and white oak have some nicer neighborhoods, and these houses are priced somewhere in between the prices of n. ky and hyde park, with a 15-20 minute commute that avoids 71 and 75. Also, you can find some decent houses in norwood.

thanks Docmizzle, I gave up on Blue Ash. I will be buying the Hyde Park/Oakley area. I like the proxmity, and the houses online at least look really nice. I found a few I liked and am meeting with real estate agent this coming Saturday to look through them. Is Hyde Park safe? The real estate agent couldnt answer this question really because they said they couldn't "steer" and i would have to determine that myself. From what I can tell it looks like the best place close to the school to live. I already took everything you said into account. I just feel that renting for another 4 years throws away alot of money and would rather buy. I haven't started thinking about residency stress yet, still recovering from application stress :D
Any good hotels people know of to stay in within the Hyde Park Area?
-Also sorry to ask so many questions about housing, I havent gotten any info yet from the admissions office and am guessing I wont have it by next weekend for my trip up there. Thanks for BRM, Star, and Mizzles answering those :thumbup: as I have no idea about Cinci's layout or housing.

Hyde Park is one of the safest neighborhoods in Cincinnati. People are out walking and running at essentially every hour of the day. The one thing to be careful of, is that sometimes real estate listings stretch the boundaries of what is considered the hyde park area. I found that when I was looking at apartments they would be labled as Hyde Park, but were actually out more towards Norwood or south of Hyde Park, which are less nice and safe. I would really be sure to scout out the area well. Not really sure on hotel options. There really aren't any hotels nearby that i can think of. You might be best served staying up I-71 a few miles for cheaper. I know there is a hotel on Montgomery Road near Montgomery and 562. I think it is a Quality INN? My parents stay there when they come to town and they said its nice and reasonably priced

BigRedMachine said:
Hyde Park is one of the safest neighborhoods in Cincinnati. People are out walking and running at essentially every hour of the day. The one thing to be careful of, is that sometimes real estate listings stretch the boundaries of what is considered the hyde park area. I found that when I was looking at apartments they would be labled as Hyde Park, but were actually out more towards Norwood or south of Hyde Park, which are less nice and safe. I would really be sure to scout out the area well. Not really sure on hotel options. There really aren't any hotels nearby that i can think of. You might be best served staying up I-71 a few miles for cheaper. I know there is a hotel on Montgomery Road near Montgomery and 562. I think it is a Quality INN? My parents stay there when they come to town and they said its nice and reasonably priced

Thanks BRM, that was something I hadn't thought about but I just sent an email to the agent asking her to edit the house list so I would only be looking at those actually in Hyde Park or Oakley. Now, is Oakley as nice as Hyde Park, because thats where a bunch of the other houses I am looking at are? I like the sound of Hyde Park and the agent made it sound like there were lots of shopping and restaurants around that area which is always a plus. I hate asking you guys so many questions but I have one weekend to look and find a place, so a scavenger hunt arount cinci looking for a nice place is not an option.
Has anyone who has already been accepted during the school year received housing information from cinci yet?

Hyde park is more $ than Oakly, but both are outstanding areas. You also may want to look at the Deer Park area (just south of Kenwood mall). Lots of nice neat little homes that are probably going to be a little cheaper than the other two.

All those areas are safe, clean etc. If I was to move back to Cincy, I would try to buy in any of those 3, w/Hyde Park first, then Oakley.

Don't buy in Blue Ash, too far.

Hyde park has good shopping and food, but Oakley really is only a mile or so away. And Oakley has my favorite resturant (Kona), and isn't as freak yuppie. Both are great areas as you'll see.

hey everyone,
hope to see you all this coming august....
has anyone received the calendar for the 2006/2007 academic year?
i checked last year's online, and orientation started August 9...would it be safe to assume it will start August 8 this year? thanks for the information, just need to get my summer plans in order!

shawn

froggo37 said:
hey everyone,
i checked last year's online, and orientation started August 9...would it be safe to assume it will start August 8 this year? thanks for the information, just need to get my summer plans in order!

shawn
No, I haven't received anything but my acceptance/financial application stuff but thats good enough for now :D
Thanks Tyson - I had read through your previous posts and they were very helpful in my selection of Cinci, I can't wait to start. All the houses I am looking at are acutally in Hyde Park or Oakley. One is in Pleasant Ridge which I havent heard mentioned before, not sure of its quality as an area. Thanks for the info.

-Bob

froggo37 said:
hey everyone,

shawn

I called the admissions office and they said that orientation starts on Tuesday August 8th and that our white coat ceremony is on Friday, the 11th. Classes start the following week.

bee3 said:
I called the admissions office and they said that orientation starts on Tuesday August 8th and that our white coat ceremony is on Friday, the 11th. Classes start the following week.

Anyone know if the white coat ceremony at Cinci is a big deal or no? Every school is different ..some make it a big production while others barely have it. Basically do most people's parents come? Is it worth having them fly out there for it? Thanks.

-Bob

bee3 said:

thanx for the information bee3 :)

White ceremony is kind of a big deal. It is at the Cincy music hall downtown, which is a cool old historic building. Brass quartet. Class processes in together. Welcome from the Dean etc. A keynote speaker, who the past 2 years has been very good. Mine in particular was very funny, inspiring, and generally an enjoyable talk. Then each person is called on the stage one at a time, coated by one of the deans etc. All in all it is a very nice ceremony. They do a good job of keeping it short and move it smoothly. It seemed to me like the families of most people in our class came to it. If your parents have the time and financial abilities to make it out for the ceremony I would definitely reccomend it, but if they can't do it without too much trouble it isn't the end of the world. Oh, there is usually a big party that friday night too.

Well I come back from Cinci after spending all weekend looking for a place, and what do you know? There is a housing booklet from them in the mail :rolleyes:

Anyway I got my place set. Cinci looked like a fun place and can't wait to move out there July 1st. Unless UC changes there mind because of the sweet ticket I got on the double A in Kentucky. :thumbdown:

Hello all- If anyone is up for some light reading this summer read- Blind Man's Marathon- It was written by a med student about his third year in UC- It is really good and even though he has changed names of doctors and patients- I have been able to figure out who a few people are (I work in Neurology at UC-so I was able to pick out the Neurologist's he talked about)- He graduated in 2002 so it is a pretty decent look at what we haveto look forward to- Enjoy! Snumie

snumie said:
Hello all- If anyone is up for some light reading this summer read- Blind Man's Marathon- It was written by a med student about his third year in UC- It is really good and even though he has changed names of doctors and patients- I have been able to figure out who a few people are (I work in Neurology at UC-so I was able to pick out the Neurologist's he talked about)- He graduated in 2002 so it is a pretty decent look at what we haveto look forward to- Enjoy! Snumie

A post, our thread is alive!

Thanks for the heads up...def look into that. :thumbup:

BigRedMachine said:
If your parents have the time and financial abilities to make it out for the ceremony I would definitely reccomend it, but if they can't do it without too much trouble it isn't the end of the world. Oh, there is usually a big party that friday night too.

Sounds great! My mom's gonna fly out from California with me to attend, she's so proud of me. :D

Btw, I posted this in the allo thread, but I thought it was appropriate here as well.

Hey everyone, I hope this is the right place to post this. So I am currently living in California and about to begin medical school in Cincinnati in about 2 months (barring some UCSD-related miracle), and the time to start thinking about housing as arrived. I was wondering if anyone has had experience securing housing from so far away. Do you HAVE TO fly over there during the summer to check out housing? Is it possible to do everything long-distance? I ask this because airplane tickets flying into the Cincinnati airport are so ungodly expensive (up to $600 one way for some reason!). Will landlords accept a faxed signature for the lease? Will they rent it to you even though they've never seen you in person? If these are stupid-sounding questions I apologise!

Alternatively, anyone looking for a roommate? I'm quiet, not a morning person, generally very easy to get along with, not much of a partier, just a nerdy Asian guy. I was thinking maybe someone who lives closer to UC could scout out and find an apartment (do the actual legwork), then I'll join in and be your roommate. Preferably somewhere close to the medical campus?

Getting an apartment sight-unseen is a possibility. I know some people who did it. Of course you run the risk or it being a complete dump. Case in point: the Forum apartment complex is listed on apartments.com for cincinnati, and it looks very nice, with a fitness center etc. However in person it is much much different. It is not very nice and its safety reputation is pretty bad. Several people who moved there without seeing it were very unhappy when they arrived. You mentioned the high price of flying into cincinnati airport, if I may reccomend, you should check flights into dayton ohio. The airport is less than an hour drive from cincy (heck it take 20-30 minutes to get to the cincy airport from school) and the flights are usually much cheaper. I flew round trip out of Dayton to San Francisco for a conference last month for $306. Give it a look

So, a couple weeks ago, I received this packet from the financial aid office about a loan program called Grad Plus (yellow form). I am confused as to what this is, since I have already turned in everything I thought need to be turned in (my financial aid online status is complete). My question is what exactly is this Grad Plus thingy, what are my alternatives, etc. Is it just an alternative to private loans? Do I need to complete separate forms for Grad Plus / private loans? Or do I automatically qualify for private loans because I've already turned in my master promissory note?

Also, I've heard something about loan consolidation before July 1. Is this not something I need to worry about if I have zero loans right now? Does it affect loans I will borrow in med school?

Thanks! (Sorry, I don't know anything about money and finances) :p

Hassler said:
So, a couple weeks ago, I received this packet from the financial aid office about a loan program called Grad Plus (yellow form). I am confused as to what this is, since I have already turned in everything I thought need to be turned in (my financial aid online status is complete). My question is what exactly is this Grad Plus thingy, what are my alternatives, etc. Is it just an alternative to private loans? Do I need to complete separate forms for Grad Plus / private loans? Or do I automatically qualify for private loans because I've already turned in my master promissory note?

Also, I've heard something about loan consolidation before July 1. Is this not something I need to worry about if I have zero loans right now? Does it affect loans I will borrow in med school?

Thanks! (Sorry, I don't know anything about money and finances) :p

You got it-- the Grad Plus loans are an alternative to the private loans. If you're in state you most likely won't take this loan right away, if at all. I'm not sure about the budget for out of state students though (I'm in state). I remember freaking out about financial aid when I was in your shoes, but believe me-- just follow their instructions and you will be fine. They tell you EXACTLY what you need to do-- and I remember filling out more forms for financial aid when orientation rolled around. You end up getting your "living expense" money (or what's left after your tuition is paid) on or right before the first day of class.

And if you don't have any loans right now, youre correct-- you can't consolidate them. Some law was passed this year ending in-school consolidation of loans, so this is the last year for that. :thumbdown:

Question - last Tuesday I received an email saying that an enrollment package was being sent to all students. I wound up never receiving anything, anyone else get it or not get it? If you did - are there forms for a physical in there? I want to get my done before June30th b/c thats when I quit my job so health insurance goes out the window...

yeah- I got a package- I think on Friday- it had what immunizations we need to get, a form to fill out on our family health history and illnesses/sugeries we have had, a HIPPA form to fill out and I don't know what else- you may want to e-mail UC to get another one sent -so you can get everything done before you lose your insurance-

BOBODR said:
Question - last Tuesday I received an email saying that an enrollment package was being sent to all students. I wound up never receiving anything, anyone else get it or not get it? If you did - are there forms for a physical in there? I want to get my done before June30th b/c thats when I quit my job so health insurance goes out the window...

BOBODR said:

Yeah, I haven't received anything either, but I live all the way in California, so maybe I'll wait a couple more days?

Messerschmitts said:
Yeah, I haven't received anything either, but I live all the way in California, so maybe I'll wait a couple more days?

Its weird b/c my neighbor who is also going to UCCOM got the package last week. I might call tomorrow b/c I really need those forms...good luck everyone. and lets get some life on this thread, only 45 days or so until we start :)

Hey everyone,

I, like Messerschmitts, have been holding onto hope for some waitlists. But I think it's fairly safe to say at this point that I'll be a Bearcat in the fall. Just wanted to say hi to everyone and ask if there's anyone out there who plays an instrument. I play piano and guitar, and I want to keep up with it throughout school. Everyone says when you enter med school you're forced to give up your passions, but I'm going to prove them wrong. Anyone out there looking for someone to jam with?

Not to worry, there are lots of musicians in med school, and plenty of ways to show it off. I play guitar and sing myself. And have performed several times the past 2 years. There is a battle of the bands, a scholarship fund benefit concert, and the talent show, which all are great opportunities to perform. I know of 3 or 4 bands made up of med students as well as groups who just get together and jam. There is one band that is 3 med students and the chief of surgery and a surgical attending who play sometimes and they are great. Lots of extremely talented musicians at UC, so don't worry about giving up your interests

Well I got what I asked for , received the Health Services package today. Still never got the enrollment package mentioned in the email from last Tuesday but beggars can't be choosers!

BigRedMachine said:
Not to worry, there are lots of musicians in med school, and plenty of ways to show it off. I play guitar and sing myself. And have performed several times the past 2 years. There is a battle of the bands, a scholarship fund benefit concert, and the talent show, which all are great opportunities to perform. I know of 3 or 4 bands made up of med students as well as groups who just get together and jam. There is one band that is 3 med students and the chief of surgery and a surgical attending who play sometimes and they are great. Lots of extremely talented musicians at UC, so don't worry about giving up your interests

That's awesome. The more I read this thread, the more psyched I'm becoming about Cincy.

I've got a question for some current UC students, preferably M3's or M4's. I've heard (maybe even on this thread) that Cincinnati allows its students to travel to other hospitals outside of the UC network to complete their clinical rotations. While UC is known for it's Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics, and would provide excellent clinical training for those pursuing careers in these fields, I am currently interested in neurosurgery and would like to complete a clerkship elsewhere. Does anyone have any information in regards to how many weeks/months 3rd and 4th year students are able to complete abroad? How easy it is to apply for these positions? Whether UC frowns upon its students going outside of its own network?

Anyone with any information would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

JHUNBC said:
I've got a question for some current UC students, preferably M3's or M4's. I've heard (maybe even on this thread) that Cincinnati allows its students to travel to other hospitals outside of the UC network to complete their clinical rotations. While UC is known for it's Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics, and would provide excellent clinical training for those pursuing careers in these fields, I am currently interested in neurosurgery and would like to complete a clerkship elsewhere. Does anyone have any information in regards to how many weeks/months 3rd and 4th year students are able to complete abroad? How easy it is to apply for these positions? Whether UC frowns upon its students going outside of its own network?

Anyone with any information would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

I was under the impression that UC was also top notch for neurosurgery.
http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/DNS/index.htm

BOBODR said:
I was under the impression that UC was also top notch for neurosurgery.
http://www.mayfieldclinic.com/DNS/index.htm

I have seen that website. I also remember hearing about the brand-spanking new Neurosciences Institute they were constructing during our interview dates. (Though I can't seem to find much regarding the institute on the UC website...)

Don't get me wrong--from what I've read, Cincinnati has a great neurosurgery department. I think the medical school as a whole is one of the more underappreciated and under-rated schools out there. Twice in the last 4 days I've had physicians comment on the quality of UC's graduates. One in particular said that he "would hire a Bearcat for a residency just knowing they graduated from Cincinnati". He added "Of course, I work in the Primary Care field. I don't know how the other departments rank."

The more I've read in the forums, the more I've come to realize that the prestige of individual departments matters most when it comes to applying for residency programs. If the University of Joe Schmoe COM had the number-one ranking in otolaryngology, and that was what I was interested in, it would matter more so that I had received my clinical training there than the overall low ranking of the school as a whole.

Case in point, Cincinnati does have two rather highly-ranked neurosurgery departments in two different hospitals (reference: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/rankings/specihqneur.htm ). But if I plan to pursue neurosurgery as a specialty, I want to maximize my application chances by receiving the best clinical training possible.