University of Cincinnati c/o 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Messerschmitts

Mythic Dawn acolyte
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess if no one else is starting this thread, I am. Anyone else likely to attend UC? (I don't mean University of California!). I don't know 100% if I'm going there, but at this point it seems pretty likely.

I guess to get the conversation started, anyone know why the CVG airport is so ungodly expensive to fly into? I once found it $100 cheapter to fly into Dayton (for my interview), even though the flight TRANSFERED at CVG!!! I just got off at CVG :p . However, I don't think I will have the good fortune of finding this kind of coincidence (a flight to Dayton that stops in CVG) everytime. A flight terminating in CVG from California is like $300-400 ONE-WAY (it only costs $100 to fly to New York, ironically). Any OOS Cincinnati students found a way to get around this ugly thing? Prices seem uniform across the airlines. I tend to fly Delta because they have the most flights available, and they seem to basically rule CVG with an iron fist.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Messerschmitts,
I am actually only a hopeful for U Cincy, so far. I just interviewed last week though. Being from Cincinnati, I can answer questions about housing, etc. I am super excited about UC: the children's hospital (#4 last year) Integrated curriculum, new buildings popping up next year, clinical learning site, great residency placements and ten hospitals within 1 mile. Cincinnati is a pretty good city, but you have to find the good places. Mt. Adams, Clifton and Downtown, I'd Say. And yes Delta hub is a bitch and truly out-of-control expensive, not to mention actually in Kentucky. In high school, sometimes my family drove to Dayton (45 min away) to fly out of there for hundreds cheaper, and they went through Cincy, the Midwest Hub, often!? Well, Delta recently almost went bankrupt, so unfortunately that may mean higher prices...Still go Cincy, I hope to see you there this August!

I might come to cinci... I am trying to decide. Ironically I liked dayton much better in terms of location :rolleyes: but cincinnati has a much better ranking

If I do come to cinci , I know there is no way I could live in the area near the school... there is just too much construction...and I imagine the area is pretty scary at night :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Punkinhead said:
I am super excited about UC: the children's hospital (#4 last year) Integrated curriculum, new buildings popping up next year, clinical learning site, great residency placements and ten hospitals within 1 mile.

Hey welcome to the thread, Punkinhead! First of all, let me wish you the best of luck, :luck: I really hope you get in! For me UC was very "on top of things" and got my acceptance (via a change in the status page) a little more than a week after my interview. Then again, this is my second time applying, and last cycle they strung me along the alternate list till August! Well, better late than never, eh? That's great that you're a Cincy native. Having lived in California most of my life, you'll have to school me on the city, and living in the Midwest in general (dealing with snow, etc.). When we get closer to housing season in May/June I'll be sure you ask your advice about that.

So what is this integrated curriculum thing I keep hearing about? To be honest I didn't stay for the presentation at the interview, because I had to catch a greyhound bus to go interview at...Case Western :p (Yes yes, they suck compared to UC...okay actually they don't suck, they're both good schools). Is it like a PBL + lecture thing, or something else? I hear the first year curriculum is very good, but past students have complained about the 2nd year curriculum being too rushed and too much, too fast. Anyone hear about that? Has it been addressed?

I'm excited about going to UC, but to be honest when I interviewed there, the school looked kinda ugly from all the construction, in fact even uglier than the first time I interviewed there! I'm sure it'll look awesome once they're done, of course, especially the new atrium. However, I think they told us that the new buidlings won't be done until our second year. Do they mean just the research buildings, or the MSB won't be done until the second year either?

Freakedout said:
I might come to cinci... I am trying to decide. Ironically I liked dayton much better in terms of location :rolleyes: but cincinnati has a much better ranking

If I do come to cinci , I know there is no way I could live in the area near the school... there is just too much construction...and I imagine the area is pretty scary at night :laugh:

There are other areas near the school that aren't in that construction zone. I live in Cifton (Clifton Gaslight, the nice part of Clifton closer to the medical school - not Clfton Heights, by the undergrad campus). There are lots of affordable apts made from great old houses, and depending on where you live, it's a 20-40 minute walk to school.

amk25a said:
My understanding was there are two buildings going up. The one across the street from the med school is the children's hospital's new research building (imagine that, a children's hospital with its own research building!). And the research building for the med school (the new MSB I guess?).

I liked Cincy before my interview and like it even more post-interview. I was warned I may be waitlisted as an OOS though because they'd just about offered up all their spots as of a couple of weeks ago. Did you like Cincy better than Case? I'm going there next week.

By the way, I recall you said you were interested in EM on a different thread. Case seems to be getting more recognition in the EM circles now (their MetroHealth program), more for their flight program I think. Especially since it's not mandatory but you can moonlight on it if you like it. Whereas UC doesn't allow moonlighting. Of course, I'm getting way ahead of myself here :)

Personally, I liked Case better than UC, but I liked Cincinnati better than Cleveland. The students seemed happier at Case. It's small change, nothing really big in my mind. I could see myself at either school easily. Both are excellent schools in my estimation.

I too was told that the class might be full, and that I might be interviewing for the waiting list. I interviewed the second week of December. They said I should hear by the first or second week of January. Now it's the third week of January and I still haven't heard anything from them. Probably a bad sign.

So what's the deal with this flight program at Case? I didn't hear anything about it. This is off topic for the thread, but perhaps you can PM me? Good luck everyone!

amk25a said:
I liked Cincy before my interview and like it even more post-interview. I was warned I may be waitlisted as an OOS though because they'd just about offered up all their spots as of a couple of weeks ago. Did you like Cincy better than Case? I'm going there next week.

By the way, I recall you said you were interested in EM on a different thread. Case seems to be getting more recognition in the EM circles now (their MetroHealth program), more for their flight program I think. Especially since it's not mandatory but you can moonlight on it if you like it. Whereas UC doesn't allow moonlighting. Of course, I'm getting way ahead of myself here :)

I'm uh...deferred at Case, so the question of whether I would choose UC or Case is really moot, since I technically have no choice at the moment. :D UC is a pretty good place to going to "by default", of course, so I can't complain. Okay, I have to admit that I liked both Case and Cleveland a little better than UC and Cincinnati, because of the pure P/NP grading system of the former, and the subway/lakeside scenery of the latter. Cleveland's flavour is reminiscent of a colder, less awesome version of my favourite place in the world, the California Bay Area. However, that said I liked UC's tuition a lot better, more bang for the buck I say. I didn't know that Case' E.M. programme is so highly regarded, I've always known that UC's was very prestigious though, since UC did create the country's first E.M. residency programme.

Freakedout said:
Does cinci have a 2nd look day ?

I'm pretty sure they don't, or I think that's what they told us at interview day. I am 90% confident of my memory.

amk25a said:
Oh I meant which city/school did you like? I didn't mean to assume anything, just curious. I'm even farther behind you since I'm still awaiting a decision at Cincy and haven't even interviewed at Case yet (next week). :D

You're interviewing at Case as well? Awesome! Best of luck there, the city has a very different flavour than Cincy I think, to my liking. I guess there's a pretty good chance I'll be seeing you in med school, since we may theoretically be at either UC or Case together!

Messerschmitts said:
So what is this integrated curriculum thing I keep hearing about?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Congrats on your acceptance. The integrated curriculum includes almost a full year of anatomy lab, while at the same time you are learning organ-based systems in lectures on biochemistry, etc. For instance, you are dissecting the heart, looking at histology of heart tissue in a different lab, learning how to take a history in the clinic, and learning the biochemical aspects of the circulatory system all at the same time. There are some small problem-based things within groups, as I understand it too, but mostly lecture and lab. The tests run in blocks, so 6 weeks of classes, then 1 week of tests (or similar) on all the subjects in that block. Students I've talked to really like this system and say it makes more sense. I think there was complaints about the second year, but the school seems open to suggestions (mostly). You can download the curriculum outline too as a pdf from their website www.med.uc.edu under curriculum info. Good luck to you in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds great! I've always thought organ-based curriculum made more sense, as well as block testing. Btw, good luck on waiting for your own acceptance, Punkinhead, look forward to seeing you there! I'll be easy to find, I'll (probably) be the only Chinese guy at the orientation :p , certainly the shortest one.

Punkinhead said:
I think there was complaints about the second year, but the school seems open to suggestions (mostly).

Yes, they are very open to suggestions. I'm a graduating MD/PhD, and the curriculum today is completely different than the one I started 8 years ago. I sat on the curriculum committee when they were changing over to organ-based, and student input and feedback was a very important part of the process. And it still is. Last year a group of students lobbied for a change in some of the 4th year requirements. The curriculum committee agreed, and it was changed within a matter of months, in time to actually affect those asking for the change. Of course our curriculum isn't perfect, and sometimes it does get annoying when they incessantly nag you because you're late submitting your evaluations of a course or rotation you just finished, but they actually do take a lot of student feedback into account, which is good.

Good luck wherever y'all end up :)

Hey Guys,
I'm a 4th year here at UC from OOS and can comment on several things.

1. Fly into Dayton or Indy. They are cheaper due to the low cost airlines flying to them over CVG. It's about 30min to the CVG airport vs 50min to DAY, or 70min to Indy. It's worth the extra time to save the $.

2. Cincinnati's EM is probably the best in the US. I just finished my interviews in EM at a ton of highly regarded programs, and they all think highly of the UC name (and commented on it). Flying at UC is the entire 2nd year, but overall flying is not a big point in EM programs (go to the em forum for that stuff). If you are really comparing EM programs, let me put it this way, I didn't even go to my cleveland interview. Think who will write your LOR's for you (BIG NAMES in EM).

3. Cincy has a great reputation nationally for producing good residents in all fields, you will not have an issue with the school being a detractor when it comes to applying for residency.

4. Cost is amazing, and the school usually funds part of your tuition, saving you $$$$ in the end. Don't let anyone fool you, cost does matter, and in the end it may decide for you what you end up doing.

5. Living around school is safe in certain areas, and not so safe in others. It depends, but the gaslamp area is very very safe and nice w/a lot of students living there.

If you have any further specific comments, feel free to post them and I'll try to answer them before my next rotation starts up. I hope that you all get to where you want to be!

Hey TysonCook, thanks for the insight! Who drives you to/from Dayton though? Do you just rent a car? I'm thinking of riding the Greyhound between cities, then hailing a cab, but feels kind of convoluted. (I'm not very good at driving). Wow, I'm actually starting to get a little excited about attending UC, instead of the "I'm coming here because it was the best school I got into" syndrome. Seems like it would be pretty good fortune for me to "fall into" this school if EM is my interest.

Btw Tyson, I don't know whether to laugh or be freaked out by your purple hippo avatar. :p

Most people drive to dayton, then leave their cars at the long term parking ($6/day). Since several people usually head that way on vacation etc, it isn't hard to catch a ride, same goes for Columbus.

I do have friends that take Grayhound, but if you are in that group, you might as well poney up the $$$ and fly direct to CVG.

You have to do a cost analysis, for me if it is >$100 difference, I'll drive to Dayton or Indy, if it is <$100, it isn't worth my time, gas$, and parking$

If you are carless, then DEFINITELY pay the extra $ to fly to CVG, (do a search on sidestep.com). by the time you rent a car, gas, parking, etc, it will probably be =.

Another thing, don't choose a medschool by what you think you might like to do, I wanted to be a pediatrician, or Ortho, or EM, when I started, all of which are very strong here. I guarantee 100% that you will change your mind multiple times. So choose what what feels right to you!

Hope all goes well!
Tyson

Does anyone know how exactly all the construction will effect the student while its going on and after it is done. What exactly is the completion date for the all of the construction.

Freakedout said:
Does anyone know how exactly all the construction will effect the student while its going on and after it is done. What exactly is the completion date for the all of the construction.

All I know is sometime in 2007. The construction turns me off too. It feels like we're just going to have a very "makeshift" campus for our first year.

TysonCook said:
Another thing, don't choose a medschool by what you think you might like to do, I wanted to be a pediatrician, or Ortho, or EM, when I started, all of which are very strong here. I guarantee 100% that you will change your mind multiple times. So choose what what feels right to you!

Oh no, of course I wouldn't choose a med school based on that, but currently I don't have a lot of choices. :p It's either UC or SLU at this point, and I'm not going to a more expensive, private med school that's less prestigious. All I was saying was that if I'm interested in EM I could do a lot worse than UC.

Just wanted to also let you know that the construction that is going on is certainly different, it isn't that bad. Trust me on this, I was the first class that came in, WE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT CONSTRUCTION (never told) and in less than 3 months had all study areas, the library, and practically the hallways removed (all during my first year). This stage is almost done.

While there is construction going on, it isn't like they are pounding away at the wall right next to you. They schedule the work hours for the afternoon so that the students aren't too distracted, built new study areas (most people study at/near home anyway), and keep us updated via weekly emails on what parts are being built and where.

I can honestly say with 100% sincerity, the construction has not hindered my education AT ALL!

Yes, it may not be pretty now, but in less than 2 years, it will be an amazing medical building! When it is finished, UC will certainly be in the top 20 for recruiting students and researchers alike.

Lastly, when looking at rankings, US news is all nice and cozy, but it is useless. 80% of what it ranks by is USELESS IN MEDICINE, especially the entire section on primary care. There is only one thing that truly seperates good schools and that is NIH+research funding at YOUR IMMEDIATE SCHOOL (not affiliated hospitals-i.e. Harvard >$1B). If you look at NIH funding for Cincinnati and overall research money, it is only on the upswing ($300m +/-). That means $$$ for your school, and prestige among Doctors (which matters 100000000x more than listings in US News). It matters A LOT MORE if your school published 1000+ articles last year (=research$), than if you have a pretty campus (which US news equivilates).

It may not be sexy now, but when it is finished, I guarantee that UC will continue to be a solid, great, affordible, top 20 overall/10public, medical school that will get you anywhere you want to go.

Go here to see what the final product will look like: http://msb.uc.edu/flash/msb.html
click on project info, and then project renderings

robh said:
Personally, I liked Case better than UC, but I liked Cincinnati better than Cleveland. The students seemed happier at Case. It's small change, nothing really big in my mind. I could see myself at either school easily. Both are excellent schools in my estimation.

I too was told that the class might be full, and that I might be interviewing for the waiting list. I interviewed the second week of December. They said I should hear by the first or second week of January. Now it's the third week of January and I still haven't heard anything from them. Probably a bad sign.

So what's the deal with this flight program at Case? I didn't hear anything about it. This is off topic for the thread, but perhaps you can PM me? Good luck everyone!

How could the class be filled by December, that seems a little early to me. I interviewed January 24th and no one said it was only for the waitlist. Who told you guys? Was it your interviewer or during the school presentation? If its only for the WL they should tell us before we go out there and get our hopes up. I mean didnt they have 0 waitlist movement last yr? Oh well...

Hey, as a recent UC grad ('04), I'll add my plug.

Excellent school with top tier clinical training. Compared to other residents from all over the country, those of us who graduated from UC started internship months ahead of the others in terms of skills.

Also, the curriculum is very well organized, and the test block system was a real plus.

I'm interested to know what was changed in the 4th year Hurricain? I'm guessing it had to do with the 2 medicine AI's. It is painfull to do, but that's what makes us better clinicians at graduation.

TysonCook said:
top 20 overall/10public

First of all I want to say thank you for posting it is always refreshing to hear from past grads and current students from the school.

Secondly I was just curious about where you might be getting the numbers above?

Thanks

Some one who is just a little less freaked out about med school now.

Freakedout said:
First of all I want to say thank you for posting it is always refreshing to hear from past grads and current students from the school.

Secondly I was just curious about where you might be getting the numbers above?

Thanks

Some one who is just a little less freaked out about med school now.

He's just predicting/estimating what will happen to UC in the long run, once construction is done. Right now UC does suffer from lacking a more "national" reputation, having more of a regional flavour (compared to OSU, which is aggressively cultivating a national/international reputation.) IMHO one of the ways this regionality manifests itself is in the far lower number of OOS students matriculating, compared to OSU and CWRU. However, the new construction is obviously to address this shortcomings.

Messerschmitts said:
Right now UC does suffer from lacking a more "national" reputation, having more of a regional flavour.

That's a pretty irresponsible thing to say in a thread devoted to the school (especially without anything at all to back it up).

stargirl50 said:
That's a pretty irresponsible thing to say in a thread devoted to the school (especially without anything at all to back it up).

First of all this thread is NOT devoted to the school. This is a thread devoted to all of the people considering to attend the school. AND when you are making such an important decision it is only practical to consider all of the pros and cons. This is especially important for us who are blessed enough to have multiple acceptances.

Freakedout said:
First of all this thread is NOT devoted to the school. This is a thread devoted to all of the people considering to attend the school. AND when you are making such an important decision it is only practical to consider all of the pros and cons. This is especially important for us who are blessed enough to have multiple acceptances.

I agree, but I think you should have the facts. Im a med student at UC and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone here to agree that the school is only "regionally" recognized or respected. just because the OP isn't familiar with the highly ranked programs here or the nationally respected research doesn't mean they dont exist (and that you shouldnt know about them when making your decision).

stargirl50 said:
I agree, but I think you should have the facts. Im a med student at UC and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone here to agree that the school is only "regionally" recognized or respected. just because the OP isn't familiar with the highly ranked programs here or the nationally respected research doesn't mean they dont exist (and that you shouldnt know about them when making your decision).

Wow, I sure seem to be ruffling a lot of feathers this week! First the "why do you want to be a doctor" thread, now this. Fristly I apologise if I've offended you, that wasn't my intention. I want to emphasise that I have all the respect in the world for UC, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered applying. I fact, it is very likely I will be joining you as a student of the same school. However, I think something like "reputation" is a subjective matter. I just meant that, from my own experience out here in the west coast, everyone's heard of OSU and its med school, but not the only UC they know is University of California. UCinn also had about 1,000 fewer applicants than OSU in 2005, again most of the extra interest from OOS. I just felt that this suggested a lower level of interest from across the country. This data is obtainable from U.S. News and other sources. I was just pointing out some of the areas which I feel it could improve on. I don't mean UC isn't an excellent school. If you feel it has a great national/international reputation, then great! I just thought this was something UC can (and is) working on, especially with construction of new research buildings, etc.

I am a fan of the school, and want UC to grow and expand into an even more presitigous programme! I am not an enemy of the school. I am looking forward to seeing it improve, and gain a more national recognition, that's all. That said, I think you need to relax and not take it so personally. This is not a totalitarian regime in which we aren't allowed to criticise the government. If a school has shortcomings, then we should be allowed to discuss it on the school's thread. And if you feel my assertions are made in ignorance, then by all means educate me with the information which I was lacking. That's why we're all here, to inform each other. Play nice, everyone!

Man, I forgot how agro people can be about rankings etc. Trust me, it doesn't matter, in the end it matters 10000000000x more if your school is nationally known for the FIELD you're applying to. So, if you go ask any pediatrician (Cincy is top 5), Emergency Doc (Cincy is arguably top 3), or ENT (Cincy is top 3, 1 in peds), Ortho (president of Ortho assn here), then you'll be hard pressed to find someone who hasn't heard about cincy, this is what matters, NOT WHAT YOUR PREMED ADVISOR STATES, YOUR FREINDS, OR YOUR MOM.

When you are applying for residency (which is what this is all about), people give about 2 seconds thought to the school, but if the department at your med school is amazing, that will make a difference. You have LOR's from internationally known faculty, clinical rotations at an instution depts known for excellence, etc. Most med schools are fine, some are amazing, and some are $hit, but the DEPARTMENTS reputation matters more.

If it is very strong in an area you are applying (e.g. Cincy in ED), than more likely than not you would get more interviews than say if you went to Stanford, (whose ED new, w/minimal history and only some known publishers for your LORs).

For me it was a no brainer, I had 6 accepts, 5 were private schools and the addn'l debt was about $60,000. I wanted to do peds, ER, or Ortho, and Cincy is very well respected in those fields. Lastly, I got an awesome fin-aid package, so it was a great fit (hence, go where you will be happy).

In the end go where you are happy, Cincy has a national as well as international reputation in a lot of fields (do a search w/peds, EM, etc in the header), as well as OSU, and Case. You will be fine no matter where you go, and please remember, this is coming from someone who is finished, not from someone who is still a premed.

TysonCook said:
this is what matters, NOT WHAT YOUR PREMED ADVISOR STATES, YOUR FREINDS, OR YOUR MOM.

:laugh:

you should come to cincy anyways because it is all around awesome. the instructors--first year anyway-- are excellent and approachable. there is always extra help if you need it (2nd years have tutoring sessions which many people find very helpful) and we have a good time outside of school. i really like cincinnati... there's always something to do here, and there are several nice neighborhoods to live in that are 10-15 min from school.

and about the construction-- i know when you come for your interview it seems like it's everywhere. i have to say im not the most knowledgable person about the whole project-- but it doesn't affect your day to day life at school as much as you would think. it's ugly, but you get over that in like a week. the construction really only affects the E level of the MSB-- the floor where the dean's office is. the 1st year lecture hall is here as well as the locker room. it doesn't affect the floors where the gross labs or micro labs are at all, and you spend a lot of time at those places too. the biggest impact it has had for me is that there's effectively no health sciences library. however, they've made designated study spaces in the MSB that are reasonably quiet. and, as someone said, they do the noisy work when we're not there.

stargirl50 said:
:laugh:

you should come to cincy anyways because it is all around awesome. the instructors--first year anyway-- are excellent and approachable. there is always extra help if you need it (2nd years have tutoring sessions which many people find very helpful) and we have a good time outside of school. i really like cincinnati... there's always something to do here, and there are several nice neighborhoods to live in that are 10-15 min from school.

and about the construction-- i know when you come for your interview it seems like it's everywhere. i have to say im not the most knowledgable person about the whole project-- but it doesn't affect your day to day life at school as much as you would think. it's ugly, but you get over that in like a week. the construction really only affects the E level of the MSB-- the floor where the dean's office is. the 1st year lecture hall is here as well as the locker room. it doesn't affect the floors where the gross labs or micro labs are at all, and you spend a lot of time at those places too. the biggest impact it has had for me is that there's effectively no health sciences library. however, they've made designated study spaces in the MSB that are reasonably quiet. and, as someone said, they do the noisy work when we're not there.

What are your thoughts on having anatomy year around? Do you like having different classes for subjects like biochem, neuro, anatomy rather then having just 1 block with everything integrated in a single class like other curriculums.? I was looking at the curriculum sheet they gave us at the interview, why do the classes start and stop in the middle of the quarter? What are the note packets like?

Freakedout said:
What are your thoughts on having anatomy year around? Do you like having different classes for subjects like biochem, neuro, anatomy rather then having just 1 block with everything integrated in a single class like other curriculums.? I was looking at the curriculum sheet they gave us at the interview, why do the classes start and stop in the middle of the quarter? What are the note packets like?

As someone who was a little apprehensive about gross anatomy, the way the schedule for that class was laid out made me feel a little more at ease. You don't start dissecting until you've been in school for like a month, so you've settled into other new things about med school a little before you hit the gross labs. I personally like having anatomy all year, but I really like that class. I think whether you'd like to get it over with or spread it out is a matter of opinion. However, I think spreading it over the year makes it a little less intimidating. I really like the way the curriculum is laid out though (it's one of the reasons I came here)-- you learn the same thing from different angles in at least 3 classes (sometimes 4 or 5). It's supposed to be really good for retention. For example, right now we are doing pelvic anatomy and endocrine and reproductive phys. We also have microanatomy which is basically histo + cell bio, and in that class right now we're doing reproductive too. So concepts end up overlapping and I think it helps reinforce the material really well.

Classes start and stop in the middle of the quarter because we're only very loosely on a quarter system. For example... I get my loan check and buy my parking pass at the beginning of each quarter, but thats about it. Academically, though, the year is divided into 7 "blocks". So far each block has been about 6 weeks long but in the spring a few are shorter. So after the block is over, you have a week of exams (no classes during exam week).

The note packets are good. You will get different opinions about these too... some people will say you don't have to go to class, or you don't have to buy a book, etc. They do contain everything you are responsible for knowing for the exams. I would say to experiment and see what works for you, but realize that people use the notes in different ways... as a substitute for a textbook or as a supplement, or substitute/supplement for going to class and/or taking notes, etc. But you dont have to worry about that quite yet!

A respectful question to UC upperclassmen/alums; how was clerkship at UC? Were the attendings nice? Did it feel like they liked teaching? Or were you guys horribly overworked and taken advantage of, like so many other horror stories I've heard about other schools? :p

Hey y'all,

I am a for sure UCCOM 2010 student! Just finishing up 2nd semester at Notre Dame and looking forward to a summer of relaxation before starting at Cincy! I actually call Cincinnati home, so if you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask in the thread or PM me.

I am extremely excited about going to UCCOM because I love the city and I think that the education/climate/people at Cincy are the best in Ohio. Other places get more plubicity (ahem.. tOSU), but I believe there is something to be said for being grounded and humble! BTW did you know that tOSU based their current curriculum off of the one develpoped at UCCOM? So much for being humble I guess..

Looking forward to getting started come August!

Nick

It is still not 100% certain I'm coming to UC (depends on certain waitlist movements, nothing personal), but very likely that this is how it'll work out. Look forward to seeing you there, Irish! Must feel good to "come home". I'm from California, so it'll be a bit of culture shock to me, possibly. :p (I keep telling myself, "the Midwest is not so bad! You can do this!" :D ) Ha ha, I admit the geography is a concern, but in general I'm very excited about going.

Wow I guess no one cares about UCinn lately...hey does anyone know when instruction begins? If not, when did instruction begin last year for first years? Was it August 15 or earlier?

Messerschmitts said:
Wow I guess no one cares about UCinn lately...hey does anyone know when instruction begins? If not, when did instruction begin last year for first years? Was it August 15 or earlier?

Hi,

I was just taking a study break (I got a test in a few hours) and was skimming over your post. I'm a second year at UC. Here's my proverbial UC blabber:

Classes start mid to late august. That's about as specific I can be right now.

It is the construction capitol of the world right now!!! But in the next few years, it will all be paying off. I went through the same process in undergrad. Look at it as a plus if you are heading this way. So far, I havn't heard too many complaints about the construction. Although, i will add that the construciton may restrict some study spaces that would have normally been there. Also, at certain hours in the evening, there is likely to be jackhammering and drilling and the such if you are in the wrong place, esp. the path/micro labs.

The instruction/clinical exposure/prep for everything/ability of the admin to assist you is all great. The rep of the students that come out of here is amazing. I guess our students consistently score among the 90th percentile in the clinical part of step 2 of the boards. Having friends in other schools, i know that we recieve a good education here, as far as medical educations go. As would occur anywhere, some students moan and groan about small things like tricky test questions or other trivialities. Where ever you go, you will spend most of time studying and/or in class regardless. Also, its nice that you can get away with not going to 90% or more of the lectures. They just tell you which ones are obligatory. There are still quizes and group sessions you'll have to show up to rather often though.

Lastly, the city of sin. I personally don't like any of the area around the school. I lived there last year and wasn't a huge fan. I moved away and am much happier. I've heard of crimes happening even in the "best" of the areas around the shool. I've seen bums and drunks wander into the hospital cafeteria. I've been bummed for change many times and even had a bum try to pick a fight with me right in front of the hospital. We have arguably the best ER program (it was the 1st too), and the crime, violence, and drugs I'm sure has helped it thrive from its dawn. Don't get me wrong its no Compton, but i won't live there. Lots of students do live right there and happen to think its just lovely though. Maybe, i have higher expectations. Also, i tend to be a night owl at times and may have seen it all in a darker light. On the other hand, there are some good spots in cinci. Newport on the Levee is a really fun time, and its only ten minutes from school in the evening. As with any big city, the ruch hour traffic can be a real pain at times. Oh, and if a snowflake falls in cinci, the whole city goes into crisis.

Theres my two bits,
the ghost
:cool:

I'd post more but I'm on NeuroSurg this month covering the NSICU, going to Chicago this weekend for my Step II CS, and trying to rank which program to go to for residency.

After the month is finished I'll reply a lot more re: specific q's. Lastly, as always, DO A SEARCH FIRST multiple people have posted multiple threads re: places to live, things to do, etc. If it has already been posted I wont reply again (waste of time) :)

Hope all is well w/all the premeds and good luck!

.edu-MD said:
I'm still waiting on a decision from them so I'm quietly watching this thread.

Me too for the moment...Alternate listed, sigh, for now, but hopefully there will be more movement than last year (I feel your past pain Messerschmitts (sp)

Punkinhead said:
Me too for the moment...Alternate listed, sigh, for now, but hopefully there will be more movement than last year (I feel your past pain Messerschmitts (sp)

And I feel your current pain. :p May you have better luck than I did last cycle! :luck: Hope to be able to see you all on the first day of class!

Messerschmitts said:
And I feel your current pain. :p May you have better luck than I did last cycle! :luck: Hope to be able to see you all on the first day of class!

I hate to put this on the class t hread and already started a thread in pre-allo but I was wondering. Last year I found that almost everyone who interviewed was accepted/or put "on hold" through the status page. Only one person got "waitlisted". It seems this year everyone who interviewed after December is getting "placed on the alternate list"? Does the on hold exist this year or are they doing things differently? Has anyone gotten a snail mail latter yet, explaining the alternate list?

Messer - were you ever on hold last year? I dont understand how we are on the alternate list when they wont formulate one until April?

BOBODR said:
Messer - were you ever on hold last year? I dont understand how we are on the alternate list when they wont formulate one until April?

It sounds like they are doing things on an..."accelerated schedule" this cycle. Last cycle I interviewed in Feb. 1, then didn't hear anything until April, when they told me I was in a "special top group" of their precious alternate list. Because I didn't hear anything for so long, I assumed I was deferred (I use the terminology differently than you; I reserve the term "on Hold" for after your file has been reviewed pre-interview, and they don't want to give you an interview, but don't want to immediately reject you). Then I waited and waited for them as they teased me with financial aid packets to fill out, until August, like a date who never showed up. :(

I don't know what to say man, except good luck! :luck: Sorry if my story is not exactly inspirational or a "good sign" for your situation.

This is probably a dumb questions, but here I go anyways. Is there a recreation facitility at cinci's medical center, I didn't see one during interview day. If I don't work out or shoot hoops atleast every couple days I go crazy. :scared:

Freakedout said:
This is probably a dumb questions, but here I go anyways. Is there a recreation facitility at cinci's medical center, I didn't see one during interview day. If I don't work out or shoot hoops atleast every couple days I go crazy. :scared:

I don't remember, but I can't imagine they wouldn't. A recreational sports facility is just one of those things that pretty much ever med school/university has. That's good that you're very active, I have to force myself to exercise, viz. I'm doing it because it's good for me, not because I enjoy it. :p

Does anyone know if UCinn's anatomy class has dissections or prosections?

There is a new rec center on the undergrad campus... I think it just opened. Im not sure though, I was hoping someone else would answer. :) i go to a gym that's closer to where i live. but i do know that people in my class play pickup bball pretty often as well as intermural with the undergrads.