University of Arizona Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah thats what I was thinking, study on the train, then asu library, then train again. It can't be too noisy...

Are there any other places near the PHX campus to study?

The way medical school is (research aside) you already have too much information to study and information that is available to you online, in lecture notes, slides, and books, so there isn't a huge need for a library. But, when it comes to working on research papers, if you need anything pulished more than a few years ago, you may need a large library to find it.

The students there told me that they have access to just about every journal that is online, which is great, but sometimes it is nice to be able to grab a book off the shelf.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any other places near the PHX campus to study?

There is the Arizona Center just across the street.

http://www.arizonacenter.com/html/mallinfo.asp

The students there told me that they have access to just about every journal that is online, which is great, but sometimes it is nice to be able to grab a book off the shelf.

An online library is actually pretty cool. It saves a lot of time looking for books. I remember using the science library at UA and about 1/2 the time the books weren't on the shelf, even though the computer said they were there. Major frustration. Maybe the medical library is different, but I'm not sure.

Each campus weighs both interviews correct? My Phoenix interview went really well while my Tuscon interview was all sorts of awkward. I'm really freaking out because I fall right in that MCAT range of "How did he not get in?" From the people I've talked to with decent stats that have been rejected, it seems like an MCAT of 33-36 is a death sentence at UA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Concerning libraries, ASU's downtown Phoenix campus has a library. I've never been to it (or the downtown campus for that matter) but from what I've heard, the ASU downtown campus is close to the Medical School. Thus using my sherlock holmes-esque powers of deduction, the downtown campus library must be close. It might not be very nice though.

Link to ASU downtown campus library:

http://asu.edu/lib/libraries/downtown/

Link to hours (bottom right corner for downtown):

http://asu.edu/lib/about/hours/

Each campus weighs both interviews correct? My Phoenix interview went really well while my Tuscon interview was all sorts of awkward. I'm really freaking out because I fall right in that MCAT range of "How did he not get in?" From the people I've talked to with decent stats that have been rejected, it seems like an MCAT of 33-36 is a death sentence at UA.

While I have nothing to worry about as my MCAT is not nearly as high as that, my Tucson interview was also "all sorts of awkward." There was a significant language barrier there and it made things go very slowly...and poorly as well. Phoenix was awesome for me, perhaps they will balance eachother out.

While I have nothing to worry about as my MCAT is not nearly as high as that, my Tucson interview was also "all sorts of awkward." There was a significant language barrier there and it made things go very slowly...and poorly as well. Phoenix was awesome for me, perhaps they will balance eachother out.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me. My interviewer was a PhD that spoke English very poorly and did not seem to comprehend my answers. I would state something like "Playing the guitar is one of my favorite things to do." After a little while to gather her words she would ask "So why do you want to play guitar more than go to medical school?" :confused: I don't think either of us were understanding each other. I guess life sometimes throws you a cruveball.

An MCAT of 33-36 is definitely not a death sentence. U of A likes people that go do other things beside study all the time, so maybe if the people you know spent all their time in the library, that is why they didn't get in.

I'm not sure how they weigh them, but I know each place gets a copy of both evaluations. I would assume though that at PHX, their interview carries a little more because I believe those people who interview you are also on the committee (at least mine was) but I am not so sure about Tucson.

About the stats, I think all schools reject people across the spectrum. Perhaps you only hear about these horror stories more because only 800 people max apply to UofA. With such a small pool, a lot of students just assume they are going to get in. UofA surely weighs other thigns into consideration other than MCAT. A lot of people might assume that "My MCAT is a 36 so I am a slam dunk at my state school."

Concerning libraries, ASU's downtown Phoenix campus has a library. I've never been to it (or the downtown campus for that matter) but from what I've heard, the ASU downtown campus is close to the Medical School. Thus using my sherlock holmes-esque powers of deduction, the downtown campus library must be close. It might not be very nice though.

Link to ASU downtown campus library:

http://asu.edu/lib/libraries/downtown/

Link to hours (bottom right corner for downtown):

http://asu.edu/lib/about/hours/

I was also gonna say ASU downtown, but as that campus is also still being thrown together I have never seen the library in person so I don't know what it is like. I noticed across the street though at the ASU center there appeared to be some cafe's etc.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me. My interviewer was a PhD that spoke English very poorly and did not seem to comprehend my answers. I would state something like "Playing the guitar is one of my favorite things to do." After a little while to gather her words she would ask "So why do you want to play guitar more than go to medical school?" :confused: I don't think either of us were understanding each other. I guess life sometimes throws you a cruveball.

What day did you guys interview down there? I remember someone there telling me almost the exact same story.

I had a similar situation in which my Tucson interviewer didn't seem to understand me too well either. He was very nice and polite but I didn't feel that he really got to know me too well. My Phoenix interview went very well though, so I guess we'll see! :rolleyes:

Also in terms of areas to study---there is also the personal desk that everyone gets. I'm not too worried about the library situation because I usually can't stand to study in the library because it is always sooo cold.

I too had a Tucson interviewer that was a little difficult to understand and that wanted to talk healthcare politics but didnt know much about US healthcare systems even though the interviewer knew alot about a couple of other countries

This is really weird...I had the exact same experience with my interviewers. Phoenix went very well and the Tucson interview was akward at best. The guy had a thick accent and talked very softly. His phone went off 3 times through out the 30 minute interview and he basically ended it without giving me the chance to ask questions about the school. He also asked me the same question 6 times: "How will you conduct your professional life?". An open ended question if you ask me but to him there was a very specific answer: "You must document everything you do with your peers and patients and analyze the data to better yourself." Needless to say the Tuscon interview didn't leave me with a great sense of confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I felt both my interviews went great and that my interview in Tucson was actually better even though it was my first one and I talked a mile a minute. He didn't even have to ask me any questions (well when he did he said I know what your answer is going to be already) b/c I pretty much gave him an answer to anything he could pose to me. I made up ethical situations and dilemnas...told him how I make decisions; my thought process...my thoughts on healthcare..how the patient comes first..everything. So other than the fact that I was almost shaking since it was my first interview and could just not slow down it went great. My interviewer even adjusted my suit for me when I left to fix the collar as I was walking out!
Then my one at Phx..well when I told the interviewer my science GPA (which is only 3.13...but my 31R on the MCAT balances that out atleast) he started giving me advice on how to reapply. He asked me what I was going to do if I didn't get in...I said "Reapply or go to the Caribbean."
He then asked me "Have you considered osteopathic schools?" And we then went into a little conversation about what's better "Caribbean, or osteopathic."
But overall I really really liked both my interviewers.

Wow I felt both my interviews went great and that my interview in Tucson was actually better even though it was my first one and I talked a mile a minute. He didn't even have to ask me any questions (well when he did he said I know what your answer is going to be already) b/c I pretty much gave him an answer to anything he could pose to me. I made up ethical situations and dilemnas...told him how I make decisions; my thought process...my thoughts on healthcare..how the patient comes first..everything. So other than the fact that I was almost shaking since it was my first interview and could just not slow down it went great. My interviewer even adjusted my suit for me when I left to fix the collar as I was walking out!
Then my one at Phx..well when I told the interviewer my science GPA (which is only 3.13...but my 31R on the MCAT balances that out atleast) he started giving me advice on how to reapply. He asked me what I was going to do if I didn't get in...I said "Reapply or go to the Caribbean."
He then asked me "Have you considered osteopathic schools?" And we then went into a little conversation about what's better "Caribbean, or osteopathic."
But overall I really really liked both my interviewers.

Eeeewwww...that's rough!

Hey is anyone on here from ASU and familiar with the pre-health advisors?

Believe it or not that is sorta true..there's a lot more to the story...but sadly Maxine did not have her contract renewed because of it....so if she ever did anything to help you it would be great if anyone could write letters to the dean and Dr. Crow on her behalf. She certainly helped me out a ton in my application process.

Believe it or not that is sorta true..there's a lot more to the story...but sadly Maxine did not have her contract renewed because of it....so if she ever did anything to help you it would be great if anyone could write letters to the dean and Dr. Crow on her behalf. She certainly helped me out a ton in my application process.

What is going on with that? I've heard some nasty rumors ranging from "its just being moved downtown" to "They locked all the advisors out of their office and had security walk them out."

This is the first I've heard of all this about the ASU advisors. Honestly, I haven't had almost any contact with the pre-health advisors. It always seemed like too much of a waste of time. Phillip, is the only advisor that I have ever found to help me. The rest make me feel like I'm wasting their time. So, for me, I don't think it's such a big deal if they close it down.

Phillip is awesome. The lady who handled virtualevals was also really nice to me.

Phillip is awesome. The lady who handled virtualevals was also really nice to me.

Wendy, right? I had forgotten about her, she was VERY nice too. I didn't consider her an advisor, because as far as I know, she deals completely with the letters of rec. But you are absolutely right, she is really kind.

Wendi's no longer with them either. Phillip is now the new interim advisor and he's great. Maxine was pretty much fired and is no longer there which really upsets me. Maxine is someone you wanted to get to know...she knows the deans of med schools by first name.

Wendi's no longer with them either. Phillip is now the new interim advisor and he's great. Maxine was pretty much fired and is no longer there which really upsets me. Maxine is someone you wanted to get to know...she knows the deans of med schools by first name.

What about the other counselors? Betty and Sherry? Are they still around?

Only a few more days to go.

I just got my financial aid package from another school, 64k in loans for the first year (awesome)...AZ keeps looking better and better. (That and when I woke up it was 3 degrees with a negative 15 windchill...)

Only a few more days to go.

I just got my financial aid package from another school, 64k in loans for the first year (awesome)...AZ keeps looking better and better. (That and when I woke up it was 3 degrees with a negative 15 windchill...)

Yeah, yesterday here in Tucson it was 76 degrees when I checked the temp around 4 pm. It was beeeyutiful.

Yeah, yesterday here in Tucson it was 76 degrees when I checked the temp around 4 pm. It was beeeyutiful.

In a rare moment of recollection this morning I remembered how nice the winters in Arizona are…and the summer early mornings. Summer afternoons I could do without…but who goes outside in the afternoon during the summer anyway?

It's not that hot in tucson. I go outside all the time in the summer time.

However, phoenix is much hotter, especially in the summer time. 100degrees is mildly hot and easily manageable, but like 110+ is just crazy.

Wendy, Phil, and Maxine were great. I never got to interact with the other advisors very much. What was the reason for the lay-offs/transfers/whatever's? It couldn't be lack of demand. Almost everytime i went in there was a line streching around the corner.

It's not that hot in tucson. I go outside all the time in the summer time.

However, phoenix is much hotter, especially in the summer time. 100degrees is mildly hot and easily manageable, but like 110+ is just crazy.

That's where Flagstaff comes in, only a couple hours from phx and a nice 75 degrees in the summer.

Rooter - Are you working in Flagstaff or studying there? I went there for undergrad and had a blast.
I just work here. I did my undergrad in Cali and then lived and worked there for a couple years too. I turned down a full ride to NAU after narrowly deciding not to accept it, even today part of me regrets not going there. Flag is one of my favorite cities, I spent most of my summers growing up here. It's not too big and not jammed with people, but it's not so small that there is nothing to do. NAU would've been awesome...

I just work here. I did my undergrad in Cali and then lived and worked there for a couple years too. I turned down a full ride to NAU after narrowly deciding not to accept it, even today part of me regrets not going there. Flag is one of my favorite cities, I spent most of my summers growing up here. It's not too big and not jammed with people, but it's not so small that there is nothing to do. NAU would've been awesome...

My parents bough a place and draged me up there every summer since I was in 7th grade. It kind of ruined it for me b/c i didn't have a choice about whether or not to go. Now that I can go up on my own though its kinda nice. I just went snowboarding on Saturday at Snowbowl.

My parents bough a place and draged me up there every summer since I was in 7th grade. It kind of ruined it for me b/c i didn't have a choice about whether or not to go. Now that I can go up on my own though its kinda nice. I just went snowboarding on Saturday at Snowbowl.

Niiiice. Snowbowl is slowly making me broke since I moved here. I go on the weekdays when nobody's there, no lift lines at all!

Wendy, Phil, and Maxine were great. I never got to interact with the other advisors very much. What was the reason for the lay-offs/transfers/whatever's? It couldn't be lack of demand. Almost everytime i went in there was a line streching around the corner.

Long story....I've spoken to tons of people on the subject trying to tell them how much Maxine is needed and helpful.

They should be doing a feature in the State Press about it. I'm not sure when that's getting released.

Niiiice. Snowbowl is slowly making me broke since I moved here. I go on the weekdays when nobody's there, no lift lines at all!

My freshman year had great snow so I got up there a few times...but after that nothing spectacular. Hiked to the top of the peak a couple times in the winter, which was awesome (and tiring with the snowshoes). But as far as the skiing went with the ongoing drought the last several years it was pretty hit or miss while I was there. I had signed up for the downhill skiing class my junior year only to have it canceled because of the lack of snow. (yeah…I always signed up for the hardest classes… :laugh:)

Just perusing the UofA Financial Aid website…not a whole lot of scholarships out there for my demographic. Bummer.

The Arizona Loan Program would be awesome if I knew I wanted to practice in primary care.

Thanks ridiculous that they made the admissions a few weeks ago. Why does this school insist on a decade of foreplay before the main event? Inexcusable. It's sadism.

Why does this school insist on a decade of foreplay before the main event? Inexcusable. It's sadism.

foreplay always makes the main event more exciting...but really, why not release the list on a Friday instead of a Monday you know? That gives you the weekend to celebrate or to wallow in self pitty...

My freshman year had great snow so I got up there a few times...but after that nothing spectacular. Hiked to the top of the peak a couple times in the winter, which was awesome (and tiring with the snowshoes). But as far as the skiing went with the ongoing drought the last several years it was pretty hit or miss while I was there. I had signed up for the downhill skiing class my junior year only to have it canceled because of the lack of snow. (yeah…I always signed up for the hardest classes… :laugh:)

It's been a great season so far, much better than the past few years. If I had known it was going to be so good I would have bought a season ticket.

Not too much going on in here today..I thought the posts would keep on coming at a feverish pace until at least Tuesday...pre-admission anxiety may be causing fatigue.

Does anyone who interviewed recently know if PHX ever figured out where next year's class would have lectures since their current classrooms on campus weren't big enough for 48? Also, when I interviewed they hadn't yet started charging for parking there at the school, has that changed as well if so how much does it cost?

No idea about the parking or new lecture hall...but I am wondering..what time are they sending out the emails on Monday? I might have to make a late appearance at my internship...

I've been lurking on SDN for what seems like an eternity but felt compelled to post a message tonight after reading this UofA thread knowing that if luck is on my side, some of you may be in my class this summer! I am in the same boat with all of you, anxiously anticipating Monday's acceptances. I am an older applicant with a husband and two children and have everything riding on UofA... more specifically the Phoenix campus. Anyway, best of luck to everyone! I hope the emails come out early on Monday!

Not too much going on in here today..I thought the posts would keep on coming at a feverish pace until at least Tuesday...pre-admission anxiety may be causing fatigue.

Does anyone who interviewed recently know if PHX ever figured out where next year's class would have lectures since their current classrooms on campus weren't big enough for 48? Also, when I interviewed they hadn't yet started charging for parking there at the school, has that changed as well if so how much does it cost?

When I went on my interview I remember them showing us two classrooms next to each other and one was not used. They will probably split the class into two so they can all fit into the smaller classrooms. I don't know about the parking situation. It seems like they are going to have to make a lot of structural changes in order to accommodate all the students they plan on admitting in the future.

Good luck to everyone! Well, maybe not too much luck. I wanna get in too :(

Ugh - I wish my gpa was higher. I feel like I have so much of what UA looks for. Granted I'm not from AZ so I do not know the in-outs of UA like AZ kids do.But my EC's really match what I'm told they like. But i hear theyre all about high gpas without giving a **** about the MCAT.

Ugh - I wish my gpa was higher. I feel like I have so much of what UA looks for. Granted I'm not from AZ so I do not know the in-outs of UA like AZ kids do.But my EC's really match what I'm told they like. But i hear theyre all about high gpas without giving a **** about the MCAT.

I wouldn't say they don't care about MCATs since their average MCATs are like 30...which is pretty average. The GPAs only seem high because of the high number of students from AZ schools...which have been rumored to inflate GPAs (I realize there is absolutely no way to back this up...so I shouldn't have even posted it).

I think if you have good ECs than you should be ok...we'll find out on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.