UNECOM class of 2010!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a time limit as to when we can still get soma insurance?
brody17 said:
I've posted a response from our reprsentative from the SOMA insurance. He addresses the cancellation and renewal policies.

Email with any questions...Lisa Wuerdeman, SOMA President

We are starting to receive enrollments for the 2006-2007 school year. For your information, 90% of the new enrollments are coming from the insurance website – www.somainsurance.com.

One of the questions asked by many of the prospective insureds is whether they must stay on the SOMA insurance program for the entire year. The SOMA requirements are one of the most liberal with regards to college health insurance plans. A member can leave the program at any time during the school year. Once they leave, if they wish to come back, there is a 90 day waiting period. Therefore, no one member is committed to paying a 12 month premium to the SOMA insurance program.

Another question that we get from many first year students is whether they need to pay the SOMA dues prior to obtaining insurance. Our response is that they can obtain the insurance before joining SOMA, however, they need to join SOMA by September 30, 2006 in order to continue being insured under the SOMA insurance plan.

Lastly, the renewal package for the 2006-2007 school year will be sent to all insureds in mid-July.

Should you have any questions regarding the SOMA health insurance program, please e-mail or call us toll-free at 1-800-349-1039, ext. 15.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
wook said:
Rob:

Stay positive! DB has a good point, it won't hurt to ask.

Wook

Hey guys,
I'm in the same boat as Rob...in our accept space available letter it stated that "in most instances, candidates will be offered acceptance
into the class of 2011 without the need to re-interview", however, we still need to submit our primary AACOMAS app. The ad com will be meeting again in August to make the final decisions. I think it would be pretty cool to have an entire year to prepare for med school (or, it could be just the opposite!), i.e. no pre-reqs to finish, no apps to do, no essays to write... Anyway, I wish all of you in the class of 2010 the best, and hopefully Rob and I will have some great MSII pals when we start next year.

--Kristin

Hey everyone,
First off, this is my first post so i hope i do this right haha. my name's cathy and i'm going to be in the class of 2010. I'm from Hampden which is a town 2 1/2 hours north of UNECOM. I just graduated from the University of Richmond in Virginia so for me it'll be interesting living back in maine year round (i clearly have not missed the cold winters).
I've been reading a lot of the posts and i just thought i'd add a question of my own. I'm trying to figure out what i should do about internet service once i move down to school. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

-Cathy

malica said:
Hey everyone,
First off, this is my first post so i hope i do this right haha. my name's cathy and i'm going to be in the class of 2010. I'm from Hampden which is a town 2 1/2 hours north of UNECOM. I just graduated from the University of Richmond in Virginia so for me it'll be interesting living back in maine year round (i clearly have not missed the cold winters).
I've been reading a lot of the posts and i just thought i'd add a question of my own. I'm trying to figure out what i should do about internet service once i move down to school. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

-Cathy

For maine its simple, Verizon DSL or timewarner cable broadband internet (by roadrunner). If you want to save money.. just bring your laptop and use internet at school (since you might be there more than 8 hours (including studying).

be careful where you live if you really want DSL... they don't have DSL down in biddo pool, it's only available right in biddeford. Something about having to be close to the switching station i guess... But yeah, verizon dsl is a great deal, it's what i'm using right now at home. Time Warner Cable Internet by itself is $44.95 a month... check out www.twmaine.com (I believe that's the right addy) for package deals. :) hope everyone is having a great summer!

Hey guys! I still need a roommate for my 2 bedroom apartment in biddeford pool overlooking the ocean. No one wants to live with me, I think maybe its because I smell haha just kidding. Anyway, please let me know! $500 a month heat and water included. email = [email protected].

Darkiris said:
Hey guys! I still need a roommate for my 2 bedroom apartment in biddeford pool overlooking the ocean. No one wants to live with me, I think maybe its because I smell haha just kidding. Anyway, please let me know! $500 a month heat and water included. email = [email protected].

Trying to get a roommates as MSI is probably gonna be difficult (especially, rent in Maine is cheap compare to Boston or NYC). It is hard to room with somebody and commit to 1 year without knowing anything about other's living habits, bf/gf situation, studying habits, and freedom to roam around the house naked. Privacy/freedom = you can't put a price on it especially listening to music and study until 4:00am to maximize one's time for getting good grades in school.

Finding a roommate as a MSII might be easier because by then you have interacted with people in the class and able to find somebody who you click with and don't mind sharing a living space.

Anyways, biddeford pool is a nice place and keep it up.. good luck on finding your roommate. But cast a wider net in case the whole thing falls through, you'll need a backup plan

Hey Guys, just thought to bump this thread.

Can you guys believe that there is one month left. By the end of July I will be packing up all my stuff and driving to Biddeford.

Kev, I think its still do-able to get a roomate for first year. DarkIrus, you may want to email everone in our class telling them you have a place available. Like someone already did regarding the beach house.

Guys enjoy your 4th of July. Don't drink too much and don't play tag with the fireworks!

dBA

malica said:
Hey everyone,

-Cathy

Hi Cat, welcome to the class of 2010. YEah we do have wireless everywhere at UNECOM. But I know that for me internet access must be 20 hours a day. So maybe I will have to steal wireless off the people next door, or just say at the school studying for 20 hours a day.. heyyyy great idea.

good luck moving back.
dBA

As I have a family (my husband is going out there in two weeks to look for a job and a house), we'll be paying the premium price for DSL or broadband internet. DSL is kindof a MUST in our house. Any hints on the cheapest alternatives for cable/DSL etc? At this point we're not too worried about a landline phone and can easily do without (we each have Nextel cell phones). Heck, might make the girl-child not be such a phone freak!

ShyRem said:
As I have a family (my husband is going out there in two weeks to look for a job and a house), we'll be paying the premium price for DSL or broadband internet. DSL is kindof a MUST in our house. Any hints on the cheapest alternatives for cable/DSL etc? At this point we're not too worried about a landline phone and can easily do without (we each have Nextel cell phones). Heck, might make the girl-child not be such a phone freak!

I just moved to biddeford, my back, legs, arm, joints, and hands are all hurting and stiff. i also got my internet working the same day i moved in, Timewarner cable's road runner service 29.95 for 6 month and 44.95 there after. To me DSL is just too slow.. i need broadband :).

Members don't see this ad :)
BostonDO said:
Goodness, Keys! This might actually help in getting roommates, depending on one's interests.

hehe....:)

Wow, I'm gone for a short while and we start slipping to the bottom on the heap.
How is everyone!? I'm back in good ol NY from OTS in H O T Alabama. I'm glad to be outta the 105 degree temps.
Did anyone receive the 2nd packet of information with the booklist? I received the "Save the date" postcard for our white coat ceremony. Exciting!
My wife and I are moving up to Biddo on Saturday. If anyone is around and willing to help us unload the truck that'd be super! I'll pay in beer, Starbucks, food, um...Gross tutoring...hmmm I'm creative so humor me. Seriously though, we'd return the favor.
We're now in the homestretch towards the grand kickoff of year 1. "This is it...don't get scared now."
(name that movie)

Hope everyone had a great 4th (if you celebrate it).
Cheers,
Steve F.
:D

fozziewan said:
"This is it...don't get scared now."

Home Alone.

:( Occasionally it dawns on me that my movie-watching habits will definitely need to be curtailed, at least for the next 7 years......<sigh>

BostonDO said:
Home Alone.

:( Occasionally it dawns on me that my movie-watching habits will definitely need to be curtailed, at least for the next 7 years......<sigh>

:) But then I think about all the cool stuff I'll be learning like anatomy, and microbiology, and histology, and OMT, and biochemistry, and physiology, and immunology, and.....<yippee!>

BostonDO said:
:) But then I think about all the cool stuff I'll be learning like anatomy, and microbiology, and histology, and OMT, and biochemistry, and physiology, and immunology, and.....<yippee!>

Well I wouldn't get TOO excited for histology. :laugh: But other than that, it's pretty good time.

My hubby is going up to Maine on the 16th to look for a job and housing. Now that the children are on the mend and our home is on the market we have a little breathing room, but unfortunately not much time. Anyone know of any month to month rental homes that allow pets in case we can't get a house yet?? We're talking to a former cop to get the dish on good/bad places to live. Apparently there are a few vacant homes in Biddeford that when we mentioned the address we got a "NOT THERE!" screamed at us pretty darn loudly. Worse comes to worse I'll just go up there by myself and live in a hotel or something for a while.

Now hopefully we can keep the kids whole (well, at least on the mend enough to manage) until we actually get moved.

yeah.. anywhere near downtown biddeford, I would stay away from....Saco = pretty nice, anywhere around 95/maine turn pike is nice, old chard beach is nice, anywhere around hills beach, biddeford pool, fortune rocks are nice.

I'm not really from the area. Just curious, whats wrong with downtown biddeford?

lower income family, and not save for small children, plus noisey and grimmy

we've actually seen an awful lot of cute properties in Waterboro.

I know y'all just cringe at a 30-40 minute drive, but we can afford a home in some of those outlying towns. We certainly can't afford anything in town!

ShyRem said:
we've actually seen an awful lot of cute properties in Waterboro.

I know y'all just cringe at a 30-40 minute drive, but we can afford a home in some of those outlying towns. We certainly can't afford anything in town!

How are the school systems out that way? I know that the Arundel elementary school system was not considered great.

Wook

don't know yet, wook. Doing research, but quite frankly, most schools in Maine seem... um... not quite academically stellar. So far the pretty average school system in Colorado outshines all the Maine public elementary and middle schools I've researched. I think we'll be doing quite a bit of supplementary teaching at home.

fozziewan said:
Wow, I'm gone for a short while and we start slipping to the bottom on the heap.
How is everyone!? I'm back in good ol NY from OTS in H O T Alabama. I'm glad to be outta the 105 degree temps.
Did anyone receive the 2nd packet of information with the booklist? I received the "Save the date" postcard for our white coat ceremony. Exciting!
My wife and I are moving up to Biddo on Saturday. If anyone is around and willing to help us unload the truck that'd be super! I'll pay in beer, Starbucks, food, um...Gross tutoring...hmmm I'm creative so humor me. Seriously though, we'd return the favor.
We're now in the homestretch towards the grand kickoff of year 1. "This is it...don't get scared now."
(name that movie)

Hope everyone had a great 4th (if you celebrate it).
Cheers,
Steve F.
:D

Hey Fozziewan,

Good to have you back. I wish I was there, I would totally give you a hand. This weekend I am going to Detroit for a wedding.. but I was thinking of swinging by next weekend. What do you think?

BTW, guess what I just got. G4 black baby!!! Still trying to figure out how the hell to use it. I did manage to get Word on there, but no internet connection yet. Remembered you offered to help.

See y a
dba

docbill said:
Hey Fozziewan,

Good to have you back. I wish I was there, I would totally give you a hand. This weekend I am going to Detroit for a wedding.. but I was thinking of swinging by next weekend. What do you think?

BTW, guess what I just got. G4 black baby!!! Still trying to figure out how the hell to use it. I did manage to get Word on there, but no internet connection yet. Remembered you offered to help.

See y a
dba

Good on ya! Of course my offer to help stands. You're welcome to stop by if you're in town next weekend. I'll be here. We'll celebrate my b-day with a couple pints.
Cheers,
Steve F.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but could anyone give me a summary of what's out there?

Thanks

RedSoxDO said:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but could anyone give me a summary of what's out there?

Thanks

Ok, so I just went back One page and saw all the stuff on apartments. I had assumed it would be burried somehwere around page 20 and take me hours to find. Iris mentioned a 2-bed share for 500 a month. Is that par for the course? What would a one bedroom cost?

beachbunny said:
Hey guys,
I'm in the same boat as Rob...in our accept space available letter it stated that "in most instances, candidates will be offered acceptance
into the class of 2011 without the need to re-interview", however, we still need to submit our primary AACOMAS app. The ad com will be meeting again in August to make the final decisions. I think it would be pretty cool to have an entire year to prepare for med school (or, it could be just the opposite!), i.e. no pre-reqs to finish, no apps to do, no essays to write... Anyway, I wish all of you in the class of 2010 the best, and hopefully Rob and I will have some great MSII pals when we start next year.

--Kristin
I spoke with James Gaffney on the phone last week about this situation. He said that when you send in your letter indicating you want to be considered for 2011 don't just make it a two liner, "Please consider me." Tell them why you want to go to UNECOM; something specific. Good luck, and you still may make it. I got in Friday.

Jeff

RedSoxDO said:

Thanks
I sent out an e-mail to everyone in the class, but maybe you did not get it. I bought a 1800 sq. ft. house in biddo, 3.5 miles from school. It is a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath. Two of the rooms have been rented and the last is being looked at by a couple of people. The rent on that room is 425. The two guys and I are all incoming MS1's. If you are interested let me know. You can e-mail me at [email protected]. or call me at 208-390-6463.

Dallas

Hi everyone! Congrats on your decision to join the UNECOM family. I'll tell you right now that you've made a great choice :) I'm an outgoing MS2/soon to be MS3 about to move out on rotations and have some furniture that I need to sell before I leave for life on the wards.

- Double bed (2 years old) with box spring and frame
- Desk with shelf
- medium sized dresser
- 3 piece couch set

I also have assorted odds and ends from around the house that I may just throw in as a bonus if you're going to buy any of the bigger items.

If you're interested, please email me at [email protected] or [email protected] and I'll send you pictures and more details and we can talk prices.

I hope you're all taking full advantage of these last few weeks of freedom because all the fun stops on the first day of school ... Only kidding! Take it from me, the fun is just beginning :D

Joanie

RedSoxDO said:
I spoke with James Gaffney on the phone last week about this situation. He said that when you send in your letter indicating you want to be considered for 2011 don't just make it a two liner, "Please consider me." Tell them why you want to go to UNECOM; something specific. Good luck, and you still may make it. I got in Friday.

Jeff

Hey Jeff... I guess we owe you a congrats and welcome on getting accepted off the waiting list. Great job. Sorry that not everyone can get off the list.. but that is great advice to send a detailed letter of why you want to attend and ask to get into the class of 2011.

Trust me, I took a year defferal and it goes by fast. You can do some of the things you always wanted to do durring this time.

Best
dBA

Just to let everyone know. I got a mail from UNECOM today. Mainly some advert from Navy, army scholarships (even though I am not US resident and would never qualify), and some info on courses we have to do online.

I still have to do my physical and all. Hmmmm time time.. time.. where to find it.

Am I the only one or are there others still behind?

Did you get the checklist in your packet, db?? It wasn't in mine. I did send in a pretty big packet of "stuff" back to UNE a week ago. the only things I have to do now are the two online courses. Oh, and hope my husband can find our whole dang family a place to live when he goes out there next week. And a job for him so we can get approved for our mortgage loan. Jeez.

Question for those of you who bought a house: how long did it take to close once you had your loan approved, etc.? I guess I'm used to CO where you can close in a week if your loan is ready to go, but I hear it takes a couple of months up in Maine. Heck, there are some nice vacant houses in decent neighborhoods that we would LOVE to live in!!!!

hey, db.. I just noticed... you mean to tell me that mail actually got from Maine to Colorado FASTER than Maine to Toronto??? Wow.

Morning guys,

I don't think there was a checklist in this one. Nor the one that came before.

I will double check today. But in this letter it said that some people forgot to get things done and if there is something missing they will contact us in the next 2 weeks.

I would be surpized if it takes 3 months to close on a house. I thought this would depend on the seller and when they wish to leave. Either way I am sure it will all work out for you guys. Just need to find a temperary place. One of the summer rentals perhaps. Sorry can't help your husband with getting you a house and job... nothing in my powers. After all I am only one man.

BTW, Shyrem, I think I figured out who you are!! Did you just post on myUNE your intro. Do you have two dogs???? I figured as much.. but then again you can correct me.

PS. Yes. It most likely takes longer to cross the international border than to get to beautiful CO. Something about a big envelope making it across 800 miles vs. 3000 miles that people have not figured out yet.

hey, db.. I just noticed... you mean to tell me that mail actually got from Maine to Colorado FASTER than Maine to Toronto??? Wow.[/QUOTE]

ShyRem said:
Did you get the checklist in your packet, db?? It wasn't in mine. I did send in a pretty big packet of "stuff" back to UNE a week ago. the only things I have to do now are the two online courses. Oh, and hope my husband can find our whole dang family a place to live when he goes out there next week. And a job for him so we can get approved for our mortgage loan. Jeez.

Hey Shy,
How's it going? Long time no text. Anyways, on my.une the booklist/instrument list is essentially the same list in the most recent mailing (if you are referring to said list) if not, the checklist is up on the message boards under the COM2010 group message board. My wife and I just moved in to our place here in Biddo this past Saturday. So far its been nice and quiet. Course, today we have t-storms and rain on my B-DAY of all days! If your husband needs any guidance around here or a place to stop for few minutes let us know.
DB, wassup?! Okay, time to celebrate the 27th anniversary of my hatching.
Cheers,
:cool:
1 of Many Steves

;) you got me, db.

I got the info from a guy that just moved from Biddeford to about 3 blocks away from me. Apparently it's not uncommon for just a plain title search to take over a month. We figured that if the property was vacant we could close in a couple weeks. Guess not. But we may be pleasantly surprised - it seems plenty of areas out there have a 20% vacancy rate and it's definitely a buyer's market. Totally opposite from where I am now where it's a seller's market: properties in my neighborhood typically go for at LEAST listing price. In Maine, you typically only offer 75-80% of the asking price.

fozzie, you referring to the textbook list? In their recent mailing they said there was a "Have You..." checklist for stuff you were supposed to do before school started. I have the textbook list, but not the "Have You...." checklist of stuff to do.

Hey, anyone know about the schools in Hollis? I know the schools in Waterboro are supposed to be really good (and Biddeford just lost their accreditation, so we will REALLY try NOT to live in Biddeford), but haven't heard about Hollis schools.

ShyRem said:
fozzie, you referring to the textbook list? In their recent mailing they said there was a "Have You..." checklist for stuff you were supposed to do before school started. I have the textbook list, but not the "Have You...." checklist of stuff to do.

Hey, anyone know about the schools in Hollis? I know the schools in Waterboro are supposed to be really good (and Biddeford just lost their accreditation, so we will REALLY try NOT to live in Biddeford), but haven't heard about Hollis schools.

Shy,
Yeah sorry, I misinterpreted (sp?) the letter in the packet. I thought it said the Have You... list would be electronically sent not just in the packet plus electronically. I too do not have the list. I checked the message board like I suggested to you (which I should have done before suggesting) to find out we're not the only ones looking for the list. I'm going to campus to hand in some forms so I'll ask the people in the know about the list and report back.
Sorry to hear you're not having the best luck with finding a decent school system.
Cheers,
Steve

Hey guys, i noticed a few of you talking about still doing the OSHA and Hipaa training...

well OSHA was fairly quick, maybe 25 minutes and a quiz, nothing hard about it.

Hipaa on the other hand took me about 2 hours. You have to read all these lengthy slides with sub-categories everywhere. Then the quizes aren't as easy as OSHA (not like they are hard, i just don't want to think during the summer).

So i would get on the HIPAA as soon as possible. good luck guys.

hey everyone! i can't believe that we are starting classes within a months time...craziness. Anyways..i'm in the search for some able bodied people to help move a sleeper sofa into my 1st flr apartment in Biddeford within the next 3 weeks. beer/cash as compensation for 10 minutes of help :) any takers??

Hi Guys,

I need your help. What is the link for the exemption of the medical plan? I know I saw it on a paper somewhere, just can't seem to find it.

The other questions (please). Did anyone sign up for the Osteo medical student insurance. If I choose plan 1 will that satisfy the requirements? How about plan 3? Is the dental and optical plan a good deal? Also if you pay all at once, do you get 12$ off per month or all together per year?

Thanks
again

well, the amsa insurance satisfied the requirement, so I can't imagine the soma insurance wouldn't satisfy it. don't know about any of the questions... but regarding the waiver:

from http://www.une.edu/studentlife/insurance.asp
Students may accept the University-offered health insurance, or if covered by another comparable plan, may opt out of the program by submitting a waiver. All UNE students are required to either enroll or waiver the Health Insurance Plan by going to Aetna/Chickering Group. The insurance fee will be backed off once the waiver form and proof of comparable insurance coverage are received and approved by the University.
There is a link in that paragraph that takes you to the Chickering Group web page where you can do the waiver.
-Shy

ShyRem said:

Question for those of you who bought a house: how long did it take to close once you had your loan approved, etc.? I guess I'm used to CO where you can close in a week if your loan is ready to go, but I hear it takes a couple of months up in Maine. Heck, there are some nice vacant houses in decent neighborhoods that we would LOVE to live in!!!!

hey, db.. I just noticed... you mean to tell me that mail actually got from Maine to Colorado FASTER than Maine to Toronto??? Wow.

I just bought a house and was able to close in about 3 weeks. I think that was the case because the people I bought the house from were ready to move, and I also had a great realtor! The realtor is actually one of o0ur fellow classmate's mother. Let me know if you need any more info. You can e-mail me at [email protected], or feel free to call at 208-390-6463

Dallas

SWEET. 'cuz all we need to have a mortgage approved is a job offer letter for my hubby - all other paperwork is done and ready to go. I think we have a place to live for a month or so until he gets an offer and we find a house. Thanks, Dallas!!!!

I stopped by campus yesterday to take care of some business. During my campus exploits I stopped by the RSAS office to ask about the "Have you..." checklist. No one received it, twas a misprint in the letter sent out to all of us. We should be receiving an electronic version of said list in the near future.
On a different note, experienced the health clinic first hand today. Pretty nice lil place and very nice people. Had some crimson fluids sapped from me for a mumps titer. Yay! I think it is the last item I needed for my medical paperwork. Now for those online courses...

hey
i know this is a old topic but is sprint ok in biddeford and portland?

also anyone using AMA for their insurance plan, and is it acceptable to replace the schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.