UNECOM class of 2010!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be taking over an apartment currently inhabited by my friend Tanya who is a second year student. It is located at 5 Lester Orcutt Boulevard, Biddeford Pool. $1000 a month (500 per person) which includes heat and water. Tanya says that she pays around 30 for electric a month. Great view of the water from the living room window, 2 bedrooms and one room that could be a bedroom but is kind of small (guest room or storage?). It comes with a washer but no dryer for some reason. Very cute place and good location. If anyone is interested just let me know! [email protected].

Lisa

Members don't see this ad.

mcandy said:
you just need to get them done before you go on preceptorships...I did all of mine at the school clinic during lunch breaks with no problem.....definintely dont sweat it.

You also DO NOT need the fancy computer they "require"...I bought one and never needed it...I have many friends who easily used home computers or just used one of the many on campus. Any old laptop will do.

Have fun while you still can.....

Thanks for the tip!

I'm going to have everything done except the hep B titer (the place I go to require 0, 1, and 2 months waiting between shots....luckily i had my first one done before.)

Does the school clinic do the titers as well?

spartan83 said:
Thanks for the tip!

I'm going to have everything done except the hep B titer (the place I go to require 0, 1, and 2 months waiting between shots....luckily i had my first one done before.)

Does the school clinic do the titers as well?

Yes, school clinic does titers, i checked because I also have to get my 3rd shot and titers at school

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, found the book. Yes, I had smallpox vaccine. Off to get my titers done. And that lovely tetanus booster that makes your arm hurt for like 3 days afterward. Yuck.

mcandy said:
you just need to get them done before you go on preceptorships...I did all of mine at the school clinic during lunch breaks with no problem.....definintely dont sweat it.

You also DO NOT need the fancy computer they "require"...I bought one and never needed it...I have many friends who easily used home computers or just used one of the many on campus. Any old laptop will do.

Have fun while you still can.....

You read my mind! I was just about to ask anyone if they had any suggestions on laptop types. A computer is a computer to me, so I am open for suggestions and help! Thanks for the words of wisdom....glad you brought it up!!
Thanks again,
Smile :)

Hmm. Tetanus booster now has pertussis booster as well. There's been several outbreaks of pertussis out where I am... anywhere else? OH - should we get the Lyme disease vaccine, too? Thoughts on the meningococcal vaccine? (that one has been prevalent out here too... there?)

shelley2315 said:
Starting off on the right foot, huh, Steve.
You really know how to make friends, im impressed!

Shelley, To Steve's defense, he is a really great guy. He was probably just thinking it was him being funny. You know those Apple computer guys, they all have weird senses of humor. He also is headed out to Air Force officer training this weekend so he may be a little stressed. But nonetheless, I am sure he didnt intend any ill will or to pick on you. If he did, then he is a dick and we will all beat him with wet noodles till he cries uncle. Anyway, take care.

Oh, and if anyone is heading up to Maine this weekend, I will be there. Going to the Old Port Fest in Portland. Should be fun. We can meet up for a drink or ten?
-Rob

ShyRem said:
Hmm. Tetanus booster now has pertussis booster as well. There's been several outbreaks of pertussis out where I am... anywhere else? OH - should we get the Lyme disease vaccine, too? Thoughts on the meningococcal vaccine? (that one has been prevalent out here too... there?)

we had a whoop outbreak here last year.

redwings54 said:
Shelley, To Steve's defense, he is a really great guy. He was probably just thinking it was him being funny... But nonetheless, I am sure he didnt intend any ill will or to pick on you. If he did, then he is a dick and we will all beat him with wet noodles till he cries uncle. Anyway, take care.

Yeahhh both Steve and Rob are crazy guys... don't believe them. :eek:

Can I get a piece of that Noodle arse kicking?

shelley2315 said:
You read my mind! I was just about to ask anyone if they had any suggestions on laptop types. A computer is a computer to me, so I am open for suggestions and help! Thanks for the words of wisdom....glad you brought it up!!
Thanks again,
Smile :)

I am planning ot use my p4 labtop.. we will see. If that doesn't work.. I will go to steve's apple world and see what that can do.

BTW, I think they tell us we need that so they can include a new computer (of _____ value) on your Finiancial aid evaluation.

Hmmm SHOTS... I don't know if I have everything.. and I don't know if I will get time to do that any time soon. I got my titers from over a year a go. Will that be acceptable, or will I have to go back and redo them??? Who knows. If I can't do perceptorship till later, that is fine with me. After all I won't even know how to put on my shoes straight till months from starting.

Best

redwings54 said:
Hey Ashley, did you mention that you wanted a guy named Rob aka redwings54 to take your place? Just checking. Anyway, things are going well down here in NH. Still no word on whether the list moved or not, but I assume its going to a little at least. I am heading up to Maine again this weekend so if anyone wants to get together, let me know. Take care everyone and enjoy the weather. Its BEAUTIFUL!!

Actually not a bad idea Rob,
Next time someone gives up there see ... please list crazy Rob as the nominated on to take your see. If you get 3 recommendations.... then you get a seat.. I think that is fair. hehehe

docbill said:
Actually not a bad idea Rob,
Next time someone gives up there see ... please list crazy Rob as the nominated on to take your see. If you get 3 recommendations.... then you get a seat.. I think that is fair. hehehe

Crazy Rob? Man, I hope I dont get that nickname even before I start. It would be awesome if that actually works and I end up getting in. Anyway, I am heading up to Maine this weekend to Portland to the Old Port Fest. Should be a good time. Take care everyone.

Hey Classmates!!

I'm also a member of UNECOM 2010! I've been meaning to post on here for a while...it's just been so busy around here! How's everyone doing? I hope your summers are off to a good start! I can't wait to meet all you guys in August!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Lucky Charmzzzzzz
welcome to SDN..

Shelly,
Sarcasm is sometimes hard to convey on here. Alas, I am a crazy guy (thanks Bill) and therefore was just being playful. Rob, thanks for making a statement in my defense. Shyrem, you've ingored my question. We would all like to know your real first name. pease? :D
Darkiris: no one wants to live with you! (HA, I can say this b/c we're very close plus, I still want to take over the place from our friend Tanya but alas Lisa beat me to it :p )
OTS is "ok" so far. I finally got more than 4 hours of actually sleep last night. First time since Tuesday. I'm ready for the 30th of June though to graduate and get back home to Albany, NY to move up to Maine.
Bill, you da man! Yes, us Apple-addicts are a bit quasi-normal. I'll keep up with the forums when I can. Best wishes on the last couple months of fun!
Cheers,
Leeeeewtenant Fuzzie

Yup, fozzie, I've ignored your question. Rather deliberately, I'm afraid. Sorry - but I've had some... interesting... comments lately about my children's pictures as my avatar. Along the lines of "you never know what crazy people will do" and "someone will go find your children". So, alas, names are not for sdn. Y'all can call me Rem. It's pretty close.

fozziewan said:
Shelly,
Sarcasm is sometimes hard to convey on here. Alas, I am a crazy guy (thanks Bill) and therefore was just being playful. Rob, thanks for making a statement in my defense. Shyrem, you've ingored my question. We would all like to know your real first name. pease? :D
Darkiris: no one wants to live with you! (HA, I can say this b/c we're very close plus, I still want to take over the place from our friend Tanya but alas Lisa beat me to it :p )
OTS is "ok" so far. I finally got more than 4 hours of actually sleep last night. First time since Tuesday. I'm ready for the 30th of June though to graduate and get back home to Albany, NY to move up to Maine.
Bill, you da man! Yes, us Apple-addicts are a bit quasi-normal. I'll keep up with the forums when I can. Best wishes on the last couple months of fun!
Cheers,
Leeeeewtenant Fuzzie

Don't worry I am the leader of crazy ...

Lisa is a trouble maker... I offerer when she first advertised, but she said nooooo my B.friend wouldn't like that. Instead of saying I don't like you. But you know we accept her anyway.

ROB MAN keep at it. EMAIL, WRITE, VISITE, Whatever it take.

ShyRem said:
Yup, fozzie, I've ignored your question. Rather deliberately, I'm afraid. Sorry - but I've had some... interesting... comments lately about my children's pictures as my avatar. Along the lines of "you never know what crazy people will do" and "someone will go find your children". So, alas, names are not for sdn. Y'all can call me Rem. It's pretty close.

You guys get a chat room. Chhheeeeeezzzz. Or not really you may want to use private message or post on myUNE.

ReM, sorry to hear about those comments. Be assured that.. any kids of yours are kids of ours! :eek: and we will bust some balls if need be (and vise versa - remember that when I get/find my kids and need baby sitting.

Ohhh btw,

congrats to all the upper classes who finished this week. For all those soon to be MS2s, you have a couple of days to clear the first floor. Everything left behind will be confiscated. Hehehehe

dBA

This thread is awesome; I couldn't help but laugh about the wet-noodle thrashing and db's posts :) Two months left!

Hello everyone,

First, Fozzie, if you get a chance while at Maxwell, be sure to go to the country bar in Montgomery. Its right near the road that takes you down to Troy, AL and the Italian food joint. They have a mechanical bull in there and it is a great time. Fort Rucker is about an hour or so away south of Maxwell. They have the army aviation museum there and it is quite a cool place to visit; it is also where I attended flight school back in 2000. Since I am already commisioned I do not have to attend COT for the AF... so until August.. good luck.

Second, has anyone heard or received material about the books and supplies? I read something recently on the pipeline about the list coming out June 1st but wonder if it will be mailed or posted somewhere.

Finally, is there anyone in our class that has an alternative to living in an apartment or house and paying someone elses mortgage? Am I the only one contemplating buying a trailer and going that route?

See you all soon!
Steve M

redwings54 said:
Shelley, To Steve's defense, he is a really great guy. He was probably just thinking it was him being funny. You know those Apple computer guys, they all have weird senses of humor. He also is headed out to Air Force officer training this weekend so he may be a little stressed. But nonetheless, I am sure he didnt intend any ill will or to pick on you. If he did, then he is a dick and we will all beat him with wet noodles till he cries uncle. Anyway, take care.

Oh, and if anyone is heading up to Maine this weekend, I will be there. Going to the Old Port Fest in Portland. Should be fun. We can meet up for a drink or ten?
-Rob

How was the old port fest? I wish I could have joined you. I will be moving up there around june 20ish, so if anyone is in the area, we should get together.
smile
Shelley :)

menardst said:
Second, has anyone heard or received material about the books and supplies? I read something recently on the pipeline about the list coming out June 1st but wonder if it will be mailed or posted somewhere.

I spoke with the RSAS office last week and they said that a mailing was going out this week which would include the book list. The bookstore does have the list available online, ***HOWEVER***, there are multiple books for certain classes and I would recommend to wait for the mailing to arrive before ordering anything. I spoke with a gentleman from the bookstore and he tried to explain to me that within the required and optional lists, there are choices to be made by the students as to which book(s) we would like to buy for a particular class. For instance, there are 4 atlases of anatomy in the list on the bookstore website and you only NEED 1, although some/most people buy at least two. I believe this is all clearly explained in the mailing, so again, I would WAIT until we receive it before buying anything off of the UNE bookstore website.

For those of you who have already secured housing or have already started looking, have any of you been using a realtor to find apartments to rent? If you have, can you post the contact information or any other recommendations? Thanks!

thanks triage.. I appreciate your time.

Steve

Triage said:
I spoke with the RSAS office last week and they said that a mailing was going out this week which would include the book list. The bookstore does have the list available online, ***HOWEVER***, there are multiple books for certain classes and I would recommend to wait for the mailing to arrive before ordering anything. I spoke with a gentleman from the bookstore and he tried to explain to me that within the required and optional lists, there are choices to be made by the students as to which book(s) we would like to buy for a particular class. For instance, there are 4 atlases of anatomy in the list on the bookstore website and you only NEED 1, although some/most people buy at least two. I believe this is all clearly explained in the mailing, so again, I would WAIT until we receive it before buying anything off of the UNE bookstore website.

Agreed. As someone had posted before, you will also find that you may not need some of the required textbooks. Wait until classes start before deciding which books to buy.

Wook

about the book thing... it seems like some of the books are "only" on the required book list because some people might want them who are on the armed forces scholarship. If they get the books put on list they get them for "free". There are definitely some books you won't need to buy, it's all a personal decision though.

menardst said:
Hello everyone,

First, Fozzie, if you get a chance while at Maxwell, be sure to go to the country bar in Montgomery. Its right near the road that takes you down to Troy, AL and the Italian food joint. They have a mechanical bull in there and it is a great time. Fort Rucker is about an hour or so away south of Maxwell. They have the army aviation museum there and it is quite a cool place to visit; it is also where I attended flight school back in 2000. Since I am already commisioned I do not have to attend COT for the AF... so until August.. good luck.

Finally, is there anyone in our class that has an alternative to living in an apartment or house and paying someone elses mortgage? Am I the only one contemplating buying a trailer and going that route?

See you all soon!
Steve M

Hey Steve,
Saw your post and thought I might offer a solution to your last point. Why live in a trailer when you can buy a nicer home. I have a post at #639 explaining our home for sale. My wife and I are selling it by ourselves. It is a great home and would suit a med student in a great way. If you are serious about buying let me know, I will send you some pictures. This way you can pay your own mortgage and build the equity. Shoot me an e-mail if you want at [email protected]

Fellowkg :D

jonb12997 said:
about the book thing... it seems like some of the books are "only" on the required book list because some people might want them who are on the armed forces scholarship. If they get the books put on list they get them for "free". There are definitely some books you won't need to buy, it's all a personal decision though.

Thanks for the info from everyone who posted on the books.

I think i'm going to check out the book lists and see if my library has them and glance at them before deciding whether or not to buy a few before hand.

Is ebay/amazon the best way to go? or is the bookstore a fair shake?

Hey again,

I was wondering how many classmates have chosen to use this scholarship. Out of curiosity, would you mind shooting me a message so I can communicate with you all about your plans and what you have heard about the road bumps of paperwork? I had talked with an MSI who was on the Army scholarship and she had quite a few problems and headaches.

Ciao,
Steve M.

spartan83 said:
Thanks for the info from everyone who posted on the books.

I think i'm going to check out the book lists and see if my library has them and glance at them before deciding whether or not to buy a few before hand.

Is ebay/amazon the best way to go? or is the bookstore a fair shake?

ebay/amazon is the best way.. bookstore = too expensive

shelley2315 said:
How was the old port fest? I wish I could have joined you. I will be moving up there around june 20ish, so if anyone is in the area, we should get together.
smile
Shelley :)

Hey Shelly, the Old Port Fest was awesome. Sooo much fun. Tons of bands, people and all the bars were open and the alcamahal was flowing. Portland is a great little city. I also got to see the young boy I worked with at my school when I first started my job. He transitioned up to a program in South Portland so it was really great to see him. He is autistic and nonverbal but still ran up to me and gave me a hug. I got teary at that. Other than that, my weekend was great. Hope everyone is well. I also called James Gaffney today and had a nice chat. He said about 5 people on the space available list are now members of the class and that this has only happened within the past 10 days. So that means at least 10 more people have to move to even get to the 2nd quartile where I am. And according to James, none of the space available people have said they didnt want to be considered. So I guess that today marks 2 months and it will be a stress filled two months of waiting for me, but hopefully I will make it. Take care all.
-Rob

Hi Everyone,

Here is an update for all of you who have been on SDN for a while but most probably haven't heard about it.

My wife, Honnie, is opening a coffee shop/art gallery in downtown Biddeford since there isn't a exceptional coffee shop in town or a good off campus place to study. It's called UNION HOUSE. We are opening around July 1st, and are located in the Riverdam Millyard in the mill district down Lincoln Street (directions below). We will have free WiFi, a comfy study atmosphere, great coffee and food, a med student connection, and discounts for UNECOM students. Union House will host monthly art openings in the gallery and exhibit local and national artists. We will also have monthly poetry/music, etc. nights for the occasional retreat from intense study....I know I will need it. A big art event/grand opening party is scheduled for July 15th and I will keep everyone posted as that event takes shape. Another event will be planned for UNECOM students after school begins in August.

We are still getting the place ready, but please feel free to stop by and say hello. I can't wait until school starts and I look forward to meeting everyone in August if not before ;).

If you happen to want to help paint and get the place ready call me at 404.805.3077. Free espresso drinks!!

Todd

Directions:

-From UNECOM campus take Pool Street to Alfred Street > trn Right.

-Alfred Street to Main Street > trn Left.

-Main Street to Lincoln Street > trn Right

-Lincoln Street to the Lincoln Mill entrance (just past the big mill bldg on right ~ 1 block)(there's a sign)> trn Right.

-Go straight thru parking lot, road runs into the Riverdam Millyard.

-Our entrance is to the left and on the corner. (we do not have a sign yet)

Hey Guys,

Todd good luck getting everything ready. It sounds like it will be good for the area.

BTW, you may want to look it up on google maps and put the link on myUNE and on SDN. It makes it much easier for direction. Also so you know know, you can even save that map image from google or mapquest and include it in your advertisements.

dBa

Does anyone know what happened to myUNECOM2010 postings? When I logged on yesterday they were all erased.

docbill said:
Hey Guys,

Todd good luck getting everything ready. It sounds like it will be good for the area.

BTW, you may want to look it up on google maps and put the link on myUNE and on SDN. It makes it much easier for direction. Also so you know know, you can even save that map image from google or mapquest and include it in your advertisements.

dBa
thanks for the suggestions...I will set up the map in a bit.

cheers, t.

Todd, trying to figure out where that is exactly... are you guys close to Milligan's (or Mulligan's, something like that anyway)... the sports bar downtown? I think I'm heading in the right direction...

jonb12997 said:
Todd, trying to figure out where that is exactly... are you guys close to Milligan's (or Mulligan's, something like that anyway)... the sports bar downtown? I think I'm heading in the right direction...

We are adjacent to Mulligans about 1500 ft from their entrance. Take the parking lot entrance directly across from Mulligans (there is a business directory sign for Lincoln Mill there). Drive straight until the road ends into a brick building (that's the Riverdam) and we are on the left corner. There is a sign on the door that says UNION HOUSE. This is a really industrial area so it might feel that you are in the wrong place but just keep looking and you will find us.

See you soon. We will be there all weekend and next week.

Todd

bump.. hi everyone.

Just incase you did not have a chance to get on myUNE page yet.. you may want to give it a try. I posted a long boring intro about myself.

Heya ctk99
I will be out of OTS and moving on up to Maine during the first week of July. When I get up there I'd be more than happy to help out with anything you and your wife might need.
--Everyone else: How many are going on the white water rafting extravaganza? I know I am! I'm stoked about it big time!
Now, if only 30 Jun would arrive ASAP...
So far OTS is "fun". Each day is progressively better and yet more demanding. I was hoping to meet other potential UNECOM 2010ers here but we are such a large bunch I wouldn't have a clue who else might be here. Anyways, I hope all is well with everyone. Happy apartment hunting/moving/last few weeks of relaxing!
Cheers,
Fozzie

The textbooks, wow its a lot

FIRST YEAR CLASS
REQUIRED TEXTBOOKS (FALL, 2006)
Gross Anatomy:
Gray’s Anatomy for Students, 2nd Edition, ISBN#0-443-06612-4
Tank, Grant’s Dissector, 13th Edition, 2000; ISBN#0-7817-5484-4 (LIPPINCOTT)
Weir and Abrahams, Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy, 2003; ISBN#0-7234-3211-2 (MOSBY)
You must select one of the following atlases:
Agur, Grant’s Atlas of Anatomy, 11th Edition, 2005, ISBN#0-7817-4255-2 (LIPPINCOTT)
Netter, Atlas of Human Anatomy, 4th Edition, ISBN#1-4160-3385-8 (MOSBY)
Rohen, Color Atlas of Anatomy, 6th Edition, ISBN#0-7817-9013-1 (LIPPINCOTT)
Clemete, Anatomy; A Regional Atlas of the Human Body, 5th Edition, ISBN#0-7817-5103-9 (LIPPINCOTT)
Embryology: Moore & Persaud, The Developing Human, 7th Edition, 2003, ISBN# 0-7216-9412-8 (SAUNDERS)
Histology: Bloom & Fawcett’s Concise Histology, 2nd Edition, ISBN#0-340-80677X (ARNOLD)
AND you must select one of the following atlases:
Young, Wheater's Functional Histology, A Text and Colour Atlas, 5th Edition; ISBN#0-443-06850-X
(HARCOURT)
Gartner, Hiatt, Color Atlas of Histology, 4th Edition; ISBN 0-7817-5216-7 (LIPPINCOTT)

Human Function: Biochemistry and Cell Biology
None at this time.

Cellular and Organ System Physiology:
Ganong, Review of Medical Physiology, 22nd Edition, (MCGRAW-HILL LANGE MEDICAL BOOKS)
OR
Guyton & Hall, Textbook of Medical Physiology, 11th Edition (ELSEVIER/SAUNDERS)
Koeppen & Stanton, Renal Physiology, ISBN#0-3230-1242-6 (MOSBY)
Haines, Fundamental Neuroscience, 3rd Edition (MOSBY)

Medical Immunology
Parham, Peter, The Immune System, 2nd Edition, ISBN#0-8153-4093-1 (TAYLOR & FRANCIS)

Parasitology:
Levinson, Medical Microbiology and Immunology: Examination and Board Review, 8th Edition, ISBN#007-143-1993

Foundations of Doctoring:
Foundations of Doctoring Course Book
Behrman, Kliegman, Jenson, Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics, 17th Edition, ISBN#020-7216-9556-6 (SAUNDERS)
Bickley, Bates’ Guide to Physical Examination & History Taking, 9th Edition
Reynolds, Stone, et.al., On Doctoring: Stories, Poems, Essays, (MOSBY) (distributed free)
Story, Bright Futures in Practice: Nutrition-Pocket Guide, ISBN#1-57285-0639, Arlington, VA: National Center for
Education in Maternal and Child Health, 2002
Koenig, Spirituality in Patient Care, Templeton Foundation Press, 2002, ISBN#1-890151-89-0
Required Medical Equipment
1 Stethoscope (Cardiology III)
1 Adult sized sphygmomanometer
Diagnostic Kit (with zippered case)
Tuning forks 512Hz & 128Hz
1 Reflex Hammer
1 Examination Gown
Pocket Eye Chart
Medical Bag (optional)
(Note: The University assumes no responsibility for the loss of or damage to your personal instruments. Instruments
should be marked with your name as soon as they are purchased.)

Miscellaneous
Dorland's, Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 30th Edition, ISBN#0-7216-0146-4 (SAUNDERS)
Cont.

Year I Textbook List, 2006- Cont.

RECOMMENDED TEXTBOOKS (FALL 2006)
Gross Anatomy:
Sampson, Montgomery, & Henryson, Atlas of the Human Skull, ISBN#0-89096-488-2 (Texas A&M University Press)

Histology: In addition to the required text Bloom & Fawcett’s Concise Histology, you may select any of the following Histology texts:
Ross, Romrell, Kaye, Histology, A Text and Atlas, 4th Edition; ISBN#0-683-30242-6 (LIPPINCOTT)
Gartner, Hiatt, The Color Textbook of Histology, ISBN#0-7216-8806-3 (SAUNDERS)
Cormack, Essential Histology, ISBN#0-7817-1668-3 (LIPPINCOTT)

Foundations of Doctoring
M. Kuchera, Osteopathic Considerations in Systemic Dysfunction, 2nd Edition; ISBN#1-57074-154-9 (GREYDEN PRESS)
Sloane, Slatt, et.al., Essentials of Family Medicine, 4th Edition ISBN#0-7817-3391-X(LIPPINCOTT)

Cellular and Organ System Physiology:
Abelow, Understanding Acid-Base (LIPWW)
Levick, Arnold, An Introduction to Cardiovascular Physiology, 4th Edition, 2003, ISBN#0-340-80921-3
Porterfield, Endocrine Physiology, 2nd Edition, ISBN#0-323-01128-4 (MOSBY)
Johnson, Gastrointestinal Physiology, 6th Edition, ISBN#0-323-01239-6 (MOSBY)
West, Pulmonary Physiology and Pathophysiology--an Integrated, Case-based Approach, ISBN#0-7817-2910-6 (LIPPINCOTT)
West, Respiratory Physiology The Essentials, 2005, ISBN#0-7817-5152-7 (LIPPINCOTT)

DEPARTMENT OF OM&M REQUIRED TEXT

Ward, Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine, 2nd Edition, ISBN# 0-7817-3497-5 (LIPPINCOTT)
Hoppenfeld, Physical Examination of the Spine and Extremities, 1976; ISBN#0 8385 7853 5 (PH)
Jones, L.H., Jones Strain-Counterstrain, ISBN#0-9645135-4-4, American Academy of Osteopathy
Glossary of Osteopathic Terminology; (to be distributed)
Portable Treatment Table (purchase through UAAO)

DEPARTMENT OF OM&M RECOMMENDED TEXT

Arbuckel, The Selected Writings of Beryl E. Arbuckel, D.O., FACOP (purchase through UAAO)
DiGiovani, An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment, ISBN#0-7817-4293-5 (LIPPINCOTT)
Greenman, Principles of Manual Medicine, 3rd Edition, ISBN#0-7817-4187-4 (LIPPINCOTT)
Jones, The Difference a D.O. Makes, Oklahoma Education Foundation for Osteopathic Medicine; 1978
Kapandji, The Physiology of the Joints, Volume I (ISBN#0-443-02504-5) ; Volume II
(ISBN#0-443-03618-7); Volume III (ISBN#0-443-01209-1); (CHURCHILL)
Korr, The Neurobiologic Mechanisms in Manipulative Therapy, ISBN#0-306-31150-X,
Plenum Press, New York and London; 1978
Korr, The Physiological Basis of Osteopathic Medicine; Insight Publishing Co., Inc.; 1970, (purchase through UAAO)
Magoun, Osteopathy in the Cranial Field; The Journal Printing Co.; 1966, 1976 (purchase through UAAO)
Northup, Osteopathic Medicine, An American Reformation, American Osteopathic Association; 1979
Owens, An Endocrine Interpretation of Chapman's Reflexes, American Academy of Osteopathy, (purchase through UAAO)
Upledger, Craniosacral Therapy, 1983; ISBN#0 939616 01 7 (EASTLAND)
Walton, Osteopathic Diagnosis and Technique, 2nd Edition, ISBN#0 00 058029 5 (AAO), (purchase through UAAO)

So.. um..any MSII, MSIII, or MSIV want to sell their books? contact me a.s.a.p. :)>> i like used books.

I actually went and priced the required books on walmart.com, amazon.com, and bn.com. I certainly don't plan on buying ANYTHING until classes start. Rarely have I heard of students actually needing all the required books.

Ok. pulled the file back up. Now understand this is for ALL the required books, including ALL of the "one of the following" book lists. I also rounded to the nearest dollar.

Walmart: $1,486
Amazon: $1,530
Barnes & Noble (after 10% member discount, $25 member fee included in total): $1,468

If you take the minimum price of the required books (and here is where I took the cheapest "one of the following" books) the total comes out to $1,032. Way too much for books for my taste. Any upperclassmen with an opinion on what we absolutely have to have and what we can do without?

Anyone have a feel for what the bookstore's prices are? I'll probably buy from allheart.com for the practical medical stuff (i.e. stethoscope, bp cuff, etc.) if I need to.

ShyRem said:
Ok. pulled the file back up. Now understand this is for ALL the required books, including ALL of the "one of the following" book lists. I also rounded to the nearest dollar.

Barnes & Noble (after 10% member discount, $25 member fee included in total): $1,468

If you take the minimum price of the required books (and here is where I took the cheapest "one of the following" books) the total comes out to $1,032. Way too much for books for my taste. Any upperclassmen with an opinion on what we absolutely have to have and what we can do without?

Anyone have a feel for what the bookstore's prices are? I'll probably buy from allheart.com for the practical medical stuff (i.e. stethoscope, bp cuff, etc.) if I need to.

Definitely wait until classes start before buying. Also, you may be able to buy some of the 2nd year's books at a real good price. I personally relied heavily on note service, with the exception of anatomy (I used 2 atlas books heavily).

I also used the following sites when shopping around:

http://www.a1books.com/cgi-bin/mktFront?act=greet
http://www.half.ebay.com/
http://www.textbookx.com/

Wook

hey....i wonder why postings keep getting deleted from the myUNE message board. i posted an apt listing last night and now it's gone. anyway here is the info.

an acquaintance of mine has a renovated 2br appt for rent in downtown Biddo.

you can see photos and read about it here:

http://atlasdd.com/?page_id=5

contact chris at 207.408.3304 if you are interested.

ShyRem said:

By the way ShyRem, nice avatar!! You'll have to talk to Hank once you start school (He'll probably teach your OSHA class, unless it's done on line now)!!!!!

Wook

Thanks, wook. It's my hubby at work. Thought about doing one of him blowing stuff up, but can't find a good one of that. Thought about him hiding in the grass as a sniper, but you can't see anything but grass. :)

Hello folks:
Anyone have advice on cell phone coverage on campus? I've heard that both Singular and T-Mobile have strong connections. Can anyone comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.