UNECOM class of 2010!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For Maine, I believe verizon has the best coverage over the state.

I had T-Mobile before and visited maine.. got no reception

I had cingular and went on a snowboarding trip at sunday river got no reception.

around biddeford and portland, the coverage should be ok for any wireless provider.. however.. if you're going to travel to other areas in Maine i think verizon has the upper hand.

Members don't see this ad.

Living and going to school in Central/Southern Maine I have had only minor problems with Cingular and so far no problems with Verizon. But I agree with DrKeys, in southern Maine around UNE you should be ok with any provider although Verizon would probably be your best bet.

Triage said:
Living and going to school in Central/Southern Maine I have had only minor problems with Cingular and so far no problems with Verizon. But I agree with DrKeys, in southern Maine around UNE you should be ok with any provider although Verizon would probably be your best bet.

Verizon it is then.

Anyone know if the university has corporate discount.. or special deal for students.. etc.. etc..

BTW, how come no one is filling out intro about themselves on myUNE? Is it only the loosers that are doing that.. or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
docbill said:
Verizon it is then.

Anyone know if the university has corporate discount.. or special deal for students.. etc.. etc..

BTW, how come no one is filling out intro about themselves on myUNE? Is it only the loosers that are doing that.. or what?

what do you think? :laugh: I think people are just too busy/freaking out/trying to find a place to live/securing loans/immunization/packing/and move. Like the upperclass members mentioned before, don't worry about getting to know people because after 6 month you'll all get sick of each other hehehe. Sitting in the same class with the same people every day..would do that to anyone :)

I couldn't get to the official class roster on U-Online. is anyone else having the sample problem? :D or maybe I'm just dumb :(

ShyRem said:
Thanks, wook. It's my hubby at work. Thought about doing one of him blowing stuff up, but can't find a good one of that. Thought about him hiding in the grass as a sniper, but you can't see anything but grass. :)

Is he the one with the 12 ga or what looks sort of like an MP5?

Wook

Hey everyone. Less than 2 months till school. I think it just hit me how little "free time" we have left before school. Excited to meet you all, take care.

-Sahil

Hi guys, has anyone received any financial aid mail from UNE yet?

-JC

DrChandy, I did get my financial aid mail a while ago.. had a bunch of forms to fill out, etc. Check UOnline for your FA status. Perhaps you need to complete your entrance loan counseling??

Thanks Shyrem, I'll give the finaid office a call tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what "diagnostic kit" on the book list means?

Also, are most of you planning on getting the cardiology III stethoscope (it says that next to 1 stethoscope). Or do you feel like we won't need one that nice?

spartan83 said:
Anyone know what "diagnostic kit" on the book list means?

Also, are most of you planning on getting the cardiology III stethoscope (it says that next to 1 stethoscope). Or do you feel like we won't need one that nice?

If you planning on going to Surgery, then.. no you don't need one that nice.. if you're planning on doing internal med, medicine, primary care etc. yeah.. a nice one will go a long way

the diagnostic kit = otoscope, optic or panoptic scope, blood pressure cuff, pen light

ShyRem said:
Everyone get their MPN signed? Apply for your supplemental loans?

yup all set, i want to use SOMA's insurance... and not the school insurance.. how do i do that?.. school has already charged school health insurance onto my acct already :(

DrKeys said:
yup all set, i want to use SOMA's insurance... and not the school insurance.. how do i do that?.. school has already charged school health insurance onto my acct already :(

Hey Everyone:
When did you receive the MPN/what is is postmarked? I haven't yet received mine...just wondering.

Also, I have health insurance from an independent provider -- does anyone know if there is a form to fill out regarding declining the Student Insurance, since I see UNE has not wasted a single moment in charging us for the Fall semester! Just wondering if any current UNE students have done this.

TWO months... :eek: !

Ryan.

DrKeys said:
yup all set, i want to use SOMA's insurance... and not the school insurance.. how do i do that?.. school has already charged school health insurance onto my acct already :([/QUOTE)

Hello, I am new to the site and I will be attending UNECOM this year. I am wondering what to do about this insurance thing. I have insurance now but it will expire when I leave my job. What is SOMA and what are the costs? I am looking for something where I can get insurance for 3 months at a time or max 6 months because I am geting married in the fall and then will go under my wife's policy. If anyone knows of such a policy that exists...please let me know.

Other then that, I am pretty pumped to be getting this thing started. :thumbup:

The SOMA insurance... Anyone got more information on that one? Which plan meets UNE's guidelines? And can I get it and cancel it when/if my hubby gets a job with health insurance?

DrKeys said:
So.. um..any MSII, MSIII, or MSIV want to sell their books? contact me a.s.a.p. :)>> i like used books.
1st: Congrats to all starting this summer!

I'm a 2007 UNECOM'er
I have a # of books for 1st & 2nd year. I'm also interested in selling my computer: Apple powerbook G4. I has extensive info /objectives for classes in 1st & 2nd year as well as info for 3 & 4th year. DVD recordable, 60G harddrive. Office 2004,...

JAJ

if you want to cancel your insurance part way through the year don't do the school insurance. we bought the school insurance for my wife first year and she got a job three months later with good insurance... she was double covered for the net 9 months b/c we couldn't cancel the school insurance.

So I was reading through the SOMA site and the AMSA site. Can you cancel the SOMA insurance after a few months? It says it's a one year policy. I was also looking at the AMSA health ins. I can pay this 3 months at a time. A bit more money, but no PPO so might be better for while my family is traveling I think. Any information from anyone pros/cons?

ShyRem said:
So I was reading through the SOMA site and the AMSA site. Can you cancel the SOMA insurance after a few months? It says it's a one year policy. I was also looking at the AMSA health ins. I can pay this 3 months at a time. A bit more money, but no PPO so might be better for while my family is traveling I think. Any information from anyone pros/cons?

Please advise me where I can get info about this SOMA insurance. I have never heard of it.

This was posted by Lisa back in May.

db

Attention future UNECOM MS1s,

Planning for your 1st year of medical school can be both exciting and terrifying. You should know about the organizations that represent your profession as a student and future physician. The Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) is your representation to the Amercian Osteopathic Association (AOA). As the largest osteopathic medical student association in the world with over 7500 members, SOMA offers works with companies to offer its members several benefits and discounts.

One of the largest programs is the SOMA Health Insurance plan, which is a more affordable alternative to the insurance offered by UNECOM. Also, NOWLoans is a tuition money lender that is specifically engineered for osteopathic students. All SOMA endorsed programs support our local SOMA chapter that allow us to in turn support our medical students in events such as the Post-Gross Toast , OSTEOBlast and D.O Day on the Hill.

Visit www.somainsurance.com, www.nowloans.org and www.studentdo.com for more information and to view additional discount programs that are offered to SOMA members (see “member benefits” page). I encourage you to research SOMA and it's benefits before entering school in August.

SOMA membership is $60 for all 4 years. In addition to these benefits, SOMA offers an Anatomy book used by most students and affectionately known as “Netter's” (Atlas of Human Anatomy by Dr. Frank Netter) thus making membership essentially free. Your anatomy program will be more intense this year so we would love to provide you with this additional tool.

UNECOM is planning a clubs and organizations fair for orientation. You will have an opportunity to learn more about the many additional clubs on campus that focus on specialties such as sports medicine and pediatrics.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about SOMA or any of these programs, feel free to contact me at [email protected].

I congratulate you on your acceptance and look forward to meeting you in the coming months.

Lisa Wuerdeman
UNECOM SOMA President-elect 2006-2007

I read somewhere... that if you get health coverage somewhere else. You bring that to registrars or somewhere and they will deduct their health plan fee off your total.

I think I will also get SOMA coverage, simply cause it is the cheapest. I am not going to pay 1000 more when I still have my provincial coverage.

How does SOMA insurance compare with the school insurance? Are the AMSA and SOMA both ppo?

soma is ppo. amsa is not. However, I haven't yet found out if I can cancel the SOMA insurance after a few months when my hubby gets a job. I know I can pay the AMSA ins. 3 months at a time and cancel it after each 3 month period. AMSA is a bit more expensive, however.

ShyRem said:
soma is ppo. amsa is not. However, I haven't yet found out if I can cancel the SOMA insurance after a few months when my hubby gets a job. I know I can pay the AMSA ins. 3 months at a time and cancel it after each 3 month period. AMSA is a bit more expensive, however.

It is my understanding that you can cancel the SOMA insurance at any point. They charge you monthly. The only hurdle I could image after cancelling SOMA is that you would have to ensure the school receives your alternate insurance information.

Also, it is well understood that student insurance is nothing to rave about. But I must admit, SOMA is adding new procedures and physicians under their plan. The only condition is that you must remain in their network which is the ccn network. I was able to get a full physical (including women's exams) covered under my insurance (my plan gives me an 80% in network). I usually attend University Health Care for sick visits and it's worked out great for me. Again, my suggestion is always to call 1-800-349-1039.

You can sign up before school begins or when you arrive. We will have information for you during orientation.

ALSO, DONT FORGET. SOMA MEMBERS RECEIVE A FREE NETTER'S ATLAS. So if you plan to join, refrain from buying that book before you arrive on campus and save yourself a bit of cash.

Thanks!
Lisa Wuerdeman
SOMA President
[email protected]

Hey guys. I'll check on the cancellation policy. I don't want to say definitely until i have clarification.

First, I checked with SOMA yesterday, and yes, you can cancel the insurance any time you want.

Secondly, what are people doing for laptop computers? Have you bought them yet, how much are you spending, which brands, etc.? I am just wondering what people are doing. I have a beautiful desktop and I am wondering if it is worth it for me to purchase this laptop or not? Regardless, I am not spending $1500 on one, that's for sure.

Anyways, let me know what people are doing!

gls5377 said:
First, I checked with SOMA yesterday, and yes, you can cancel the insurance any time you want.

http://www.somainsurance.com/faq.htm

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I switch plans during the school year?
No. The plan you enroll in cannot be changed until September 1, 2007.

Does this apply to cancel?

docbill said:
http://www.somainsurance.com/faq.htm

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I switch plans during the school year?
No. The plan you enroll in cannot be changed until September 1, 2007.

Does this apply to cancel?

No, that just applys to the 3 plans that they have and switching between them (hard to figure out the monthly premiums and the actual medical coverage when you switch back and forth). Canceling is different from switching.

Hey there MSI,
Time is soon approaching, you will be smelling like formaldehyde before you know it. I posted a while back (#639 in this thread) For any of you looking for housing
We are selling our 3 bedroom / 1.5 bath house. It is a great house and we have done alot of renovations since we bought it 4 years ago. It is totally ready to move into. You can ask some of your fellow class mates about it. If any of you are interested, you can check out #639 or e-mail at [email protected].
Good luck
:smuggrin:

Hey everyone. I am still anxiously awaiting to be accepted for this year's class. However, I personally had a chance to visit with "Fellowkg" (aka Kevin) and can testify that the house is awesome. Very close to school, surprisingly quiet, big fenced-in back yard, great price, yada-yada-yada. I am still thinking about inquiring on the purchase, Kevin, but have to wait and see if I get in this year first. :confused:

Good luck all, and hopefully I'll be there in August.
-Gerard

Got a mailing today from UNECOM.

It had to do with spouses/partners and orientation.

Entertainment around the area/driving.
A lot of useful stuff.
however, i thought we were going to be mailed the book list as well

Book list is coming with the 3rd packet coming out next week. They have posted the official booklist in .pdf file on my.une.edu and join the COM 2010 group you'll see it.. I promise.

hey I just journeyed from LA TO Las vegas, to chicago, to queens NY, and then to Biddeford. Im bored :)

anyone throwing any get togethers? or doing any hiking biking etc.?

let me know
ben

Oh, God...

I have to call to cancel my alternative loan again for the 2nd time... The new Federal Graduate Plus Loan with fixed 8.5% reimbursed 3% Guaran. Fee, and 1.3% bonus at repayment, no aggregate limits = is probably gonna rock my debt ridden world. So i'm gonna suck it up and deal with the financial aid mess again :(. I guess the only good thing is that the interest rate is not going to change on me for the remaining part of my life, so no surprises.

anybody thinking about the same thing? and also they changed the deal on the Federal Stafford Loan from T.H.E to 6.8% fixed.. what's going on with that?. are we getting the variable with 8.5% cap or are we getting the 6.8% fixed? I'm confused.

Stafford loans are now fixed at 6.8%. Period. The Grad Plus loans are fixed at 8.5%. I personally applied for the Maine Med loan program.. it's running about 7.74% right now and is tied to the t-bill rate.

Didn't get a mailing from UNE today though. :(

if you're in biddo tonight (thursday), they have fireworks and a big party thingy right down by the bridge between Saco/Biddeford. Fireworks in like 1 1/2 hours at 10... hopefully someone sees this in time :)

I've posted a response from our reprsentative from the SOMA insurance. He addresses the cancellation and renewal policies.

Email with any questions...Lisa Wuerdeman, SOMA President

We are starting to receive enrollments for the 2006-2007 school year. For your information, 90% of the new enrollments are coming from the insurance website – www.somainsurance.com.

One of the questions asked by many of the prospective insureds is whether they must stay on the SOMA insurance program for the entire year. The SOMA requirements are one of the most liberal with regards to college health insurance plans. A member can leave the program at any time during the school year. Once they leave, if they wish to come back, there is a 90 day waiting period. Therefore, no one member is committed to paying a 12 month premium to the SOMA insurance program.

Another question that we get from many first year students is whether they need to pay the SOMA dues prior to obtaining insurance. Our response is that they can obtain the insurance before joining SOMA, however, they need to join SOMA by September 30, 2006 in order to continue being insured under the SOMA insurance plan.

Lastly, the renewal package for the 2006-2007 school year will be sent to all insureds in mid-July.

Should you have any questions regarding the SOMA health insurance program, please e-mail or call us toll-free at 1-800-349-1039, ext. 15.

Just got my tuition information in the mail.
To touch up on the student insurance thing.

For those of you who are getting insurance on their own. You can waive the student health insurance fee. It's pretty simple, you go to the website they provide, and put in information about your health insurance. Then when you pay your tuition, you save something like 2,660 bucks.

Hey all. Well, since the summer is officially here and classes are only some 6 weeks away, I figured I would drop a little line. For those of you who have been routing for me, I thank you so much. It really means a lot to me and I would like nothing more than to become a member of the class of 2010. But it seems that this isnt going to happen this year. I am in the second quartile and they still havent made it through the quartile yet. So I will be with you all in spirit as you begin your journey, but most likely not in presence.

In happier news, I received word that I passed my EMT test and am now working for the local fire department as a EMT. It should deffinitely give me some great experience and some incredible stories. I am still working hard at my job at the school I work for. The school is a residential facility for kids with autism and other neurological and behavioral problems. It is a very taxing job, but I can not see myself anywhere else at this point in my life. I love it.

So I guess I am going to fill out the AACOMAS again and send it in in the next few days. Take care everyone and enjoy the great weather.
-Rob

hey guys. ive seen alot of schools have a myspace account..anyone want to start a unecom 2010 account?

redwings54 said:
Hey all. Well, since the summer is officially here and classes are only some 6 weeks away, I figured I would drop a little line. For those of you who have been routing for me, I thank you so much. It really means a lot to me and I would like nothing more than to become a member of the class of 2010. But it seems that this isnt going to happen this year. I am in the second quartile and they still havent made it through the quartile yet. So I will be with you all in spirit as you begin your journey, but most likely not in presence.

In happier news, I received word that I passed my EMT test and am now working for the local fire department as a EMT. It should deffinitely give me some great experience and some incredible stories. I am still working hard at my job at the school I work for. The school is a residential facility for kids with autism and other neurological and behavioral problems. It is a very taxing job, but I can not see myself anywhere else at this point in my life. I love it.

So I guess I am going to fill out the AACOMAS again and send it in in the next few days. Take care everyone and enjoy the great weather.
-Rob

hey there,
i have similar stats as you, and unecom is also my top choice. im taking the mcat this aug, hopefully i can do well on it... as thats the only piece of the puzzle thats left.
if you are applying again this cycle, just wanted to say good luck... and hopefully we will both get in :p

redwings54 said:
It really means a lot to me and I would like nothing more than to become a member of the class of 2010. But it seems that this isnt going to happen this year. I am in the second quartile and they still havent made it through the quartile yet. So I will be with you all in spirit as you begin your journey, but most likely not in presence.

In happier news, I received word that I passed my EMT test and am now working for the local fire department as a EMT.

-Rob

Hey Rob, good to hear an update from you.

Don't be discouraged. As I mentioned before. That one year may be an important year in your life. You may do something great or you may save many lives as an EMT.

Congrats on passing your EMT test. Definitely should be interesting and rewarding. Just muster up the energy to fill out that bloody application one more time. Did you ask UNECOM if they will offere you a place in the 2011 class? Maybe you don't need to fill out another application! Either way no harm in trying.

keep us updated.
BA

ben821 said:
hey guys. ive seen alot of schools have a myspace account..anyone want to start a unecom 2010 account?

Hey Ben how was your move? Hopefuly it went okay.

I thought about a class page, but then realized that I am not an expert at this and could not really do a great job. There are people much more internet savy than I. Plus I did not have time.

Later,
dBA

Status
Not open for further replies.