UK Vet Schools c/o 2027/2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! I got accepted to RVC and am debating between that and my in-state vet school. The only major diff between the two is location because I think studying vet med in London would be fun - what do you guys think? Do you think there would even be time to travel Europe while being a student?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I got accepted to RVC and am debating between that and my in-state vet school. The only major diff between the two is location because I think studying vet med in London would be fun - what do you guys think? Do you think there would even be time to travel Europe while being a student?
Did you get accepted earlier in Dec or hear back today?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a vet who went to RVC and she said a lot of her classmates would take little weekend trips here and there. I mean everything is so close over there so travel time is cut way back ya know

Been wondering the same thing. I applied to the 4 year did the supplemental and haven’t heard a thing. Last year I applied to the 5 year and was rejected on 12/6. I’ve seen a few posts about people wondering on Reddit as well…
Yeah, I've seen a few posts on Reddit too. However, they have not heard anything as well.

The only thing I have heard from them is that they have reviewed my application and has put it on hold while they review the rest. I assume this is because they could not give me a definite answer and is like a waitlist? I think someone in this thread above said they got accepted! i believe it was “pinkcow101”
I have not even heard from them about putting my application on hold unfortunately. I guess the best we can do is to wait patiently.

Has anyone else heard back from RVC after Dec?? If so where was your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does any one have advice for interviewing with Edinburgh? This is the first time I have an MMI style interview so I would appreciate any advice or tips for preparing!

To RVC guys, does anyone have any idea when we are supposed to get information regarding next steps/timeline/offer holder day? I think they may have mentioned details during the presentation at the interview but that was a long time ago. Looking at past threads it looks like they take a really long time to finish sending out the offers, so I’m wondering if any further communication will only happen after they are done will that

To RVC guys, does anyone have any idea when we are supposed to get information regarding next steps/timeline/offer holder day? I think they may have mentioned details during the presentation at the interview but that was a long time ago. Looking at past threads it looks like they take a really long time to finish sending out the offers, so I’m wondering if any further communication will only happen after they are done will that
From the interview, I remember they said they are aiming to give us an update with the decisions between late January and early February.

Hey all the UK school people, I think that this general thread has worked out pretty well but it may be time to start up individual school threads as we make our final decisions on where to attend

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all the UK school people, I think that this general thread has worked out pretty well but it may be time to start up individual school threads as we make our final decisions on where to attend

Agreed! But I do hope this one stays active until all the schools have sent out decisions? It’s helpful/deeply terrifying to know if and when everybody else has heard back lol

Agreed! But I do hope this one stays active until all the schools have sent out decisions? It’s helpful/deeply terrifying to know if and when everybody else has heard back lol
For sure, I think we can wait until all of the decisions go out. Maybe a month out or so we’ll start splitting off, I’m excited for everyone to start making plans but some schools really take their sweet time lol

In still waiting to hear back from UCD :( the only update ive gotten was last week my supplemental application changed from “ application submitted and documents reviewed” to “ further review”

Hello!

I was just wondering if there’s anyone else starting the accelerated graduate entry program at Bristol who would like to chat about the program/ housing general stuff for the upcoming semester?
Hey there just wondering when did you hear back from Bristol? I haven’t gotten a rejection yet but they’ve been MIA

I believe RVC takes lower GPA’s if your app is supplemented with lots of animal experience or vet shadowing or another area. I think the course only would be fine, but I’ve reached out to their admissions people before and found them super helpful in clarifying anything, so I’d recommend doing that.

As far as UK Vet schools, they’re some of the highest ranking vet schools in the world, with multiple sources putting RVC at number one and Glasgow in the top 10, which is really nice. The applications also weigh animal and veterinary experience more heavily than grades, unlike then US which uses grades to weed people out, resulting in vet students who have spent much less time around farm animals and rural medicine. Many of the UK vet schools translate degrees to other countries, whereas several in the US do not without supplemental coursework for certification. UK schools consistently show a greater commitment to diversity of their classes and to graduating vets who understand all animals, meaning less specialization. Also, and this is so vain but it did make a difference to me in deciding where to apply, but the schools in the UK are gorgeous, in part because most of them are so old when compared to even the oldest vet schools in the US.

I have found the admissions teams more helpful with UK schools, personally. I had an issue with a transcript sending which led to many of the US schools simply saying “bad luck, try again next year” even when I explained the situation. Every UK school I spoke to was accommodating and still took my application, and they were all very understanding.

Hope that helps! I spend most of my time agonizing over vet school decisions so I’m glad to have an outlet that might actually prove useful to someone lol.
Ranks genuinely don't mean anything in terms of student experience or educational quality. Lots.of north Americans absolutely struggle with the UK style of teaching and examination and I personally wish I were studying vet med in north America. There are so many unattractive things about UK vet school, and I would absolutely say that RVC doesn't feel like number one.

Ranks genuinely don't mean anything in terms of student experience or educational quality. Lots.of north Americans absolutely struggle with the UK style of teaching and examination and I personally wish I were studying vet med in north America. There are so many unattractive things about UK vet school, and I would absolutely say that RVC doesn't feel like number one.
Is there a more in depth reason as to why you don’t think they feel like #1/what are the unattractive reasons?
They’re my last school that I have to hear back from, but Id like to know what people think about it!

Is there a more in depth reason as to why you don’t think they feel like #1/what are the unattractive reasons?
They’re my last school that I have to hear back from, but Id like to know what people think about it!
One to three exams per year, no good assessment or formal feedback on knowledge, no quizzing, just hoping you're reading the right things and understanding correctly until you write the exam. The teaching staff are lovely and supportive on their own but the course structure is frustrating and they don't get enough time to teach material. The entire course is built around consolidating lecture material in these group learning clinical scenarios but most people don't show up to them or they go to the earliest section out of convenience and the school doesn't enforce attendance so the learning environment just isnt there. These would be fantastic opportunities otherwise but students just aren't engaged. It's also a massive class of over 300 students and there's friction between the graduate cohort and the first entry one. It feels like far too many people vying for resources that just aren't there.

I wish I had known about the lack of testing in advance alone. I would've pursued other options and not wasted my money had this been communicated to me. I don't want to drown in tests but I want a happy medium where I feel confident I know the content I need to know.

Speaking as a current Edinburgh student I agree that it is way different from the US schools and takes some getting used to. I will say you get what you put into your coursework; some students are way less interactive in class and I see them struggling but that can happen at any school. We are encouraged to give feedback to the school and we have ICA (in-course assessments) which are short 20 MCQ and sometimes short answer quizzes midsemester. Some courses also have weekly MCQs (based on participation only not correctness) and there are PeerWise requirements where we have to make and answer questions based on the semester coursework. I find that learning objectives are very helpful to study which 90% of professors give and some courses give extra questions per lecture for us to go through. There are also open discussion boards where you can post questions for the professor and other classmates to answer. For our tutorials and practicals, there is mandatory attendance or at minimum 80% attendance for the semester. Our school teaches by species rather than organ system and my combined class (GEP and 5 Year program) is 174 which they mentioned was above average. I will say the idea of EMS at first sounds great but there is a lot of controversy over the cost of going on placement and finding good ones as people have variable experiences from clinic to clinic. Being from the US I've done all of my EMS in the states and find it much easier than trying to arrange EMS overseas. For sure find out as much as you can about the school before you apply or accept because there's a lot more I learned about after I was accepted. For instance, most schools do not have surgical spay/neuter experience for students which a lot of classmates complain about. I talked to other vets and they all agree the 1-3 surgeries you do in vet school though fun will not make you a better surgeon in the long run or give you an advantage over other graduates. You can always look for surgical experience outside of the school but it's hugely variable in what you will experience and not for everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
RVC sent out another wave of acceptances today!

Reactions: 1 users
RVC sent out another wave of acceptances today!
Amazing! As an addition, my letter got sent out later than my application status was updated on my application/student portal, so it never hurts to check there as well!

Congratulations!! I just received mine from them as well! 😊

Reactions: 4 users
OMG dreams do come true, I just received my offer from the University of Bristol this morning!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations on your offers🎊
I started a separate thread for Bristol if anyone would like to chat about the program/ student life 😊

Is anyone still waiting to hear from RVC? Haven't heard anthing since my interview in November.

Is anyone still waiting to hear from RVC? Haven't heard anthing since my interview in November.
Looking at past years RVC takes a reeeeally long time to finish sending out their acceptances. I think I saw some acceptances go out as late as the end of February

Looking at past years RVC takes a reeeeally long time to finish sending out their acceptances. I think I saw some acceptances go out as late as the end of February
Definitely correct! I got my acceptance in late December after a November 10th interview in Philly, I think they sent another wave of acceptances out yesterday or the day before, and at the interview they said they would likely be sending out offers into February.

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding accepting the offer from the University of Bristol. In the email, they mentioned considering their offer and requesting to respond to the University of Bristol via email. I was wondering if I just sent them an email stating that I accepted their offer. Or do I have to mention something else in the email when accepting the offer? Sorry, this is my first time applying.

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding accepting the offer from the University of Bristol. In the email, they mentioned considering their offer and requesting to respond to the University of Bristol via email. I was wondering if I just sent them an email stating that I accepted their offer. Or do I have to mention something else in the email when accepting the offer? Sorry, this is my first time applying.
I just read through my acceptance email and it looks like all you need to do is send an email back to their admissions office that says you officially accept the offer.

I just read through my acceptance email and it looks like all you need to do is send an email back to their admissions office that says you officially accept the offer.
Oh I see I see, thank you so much!

Accepted to RVC! Got my email on Tues. I did an on-campus visit back in September 22 and I loved the students and the program. They spent a half day taking me around both Camden and Hawkshead campuses, and were just so wonderful in answering all questions and showing the facilities. (I'm an American, applying from the US, if that makes any difference).

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone who did the LA interview heard anything yet? RVC

I know that so far there's been kind of a moratorium on talking about this, but how are you guys going about setting up loans/worrying about paying for vet school? It was all sort of spoon-fed in undergrad, now with going abroad and it being higher education I'm finding resources really scarce. All anything says is like, "Fill out your FAFSA then just shut up" and I just cannot imagine there's nothing else.

I was offered a conditional acceptance on December 23rd. There doesn’t really seem to be much rhyme or reason to their sending out offers.

I know that so far there's been kind of a moratorium on talking about this, but how are you guys going about setting up loans/worrying about paying for vet school? It was all sort of spoon-fed in undergrad, now with going abroad and it being higher education I'm finding resources really scarce. All anything says is like, "Fill out your FAFSA then just shut up" and I just cannot imagine there's nothing else.
I imagine that there must be more information that the schools will send out later on. The schools want to get paid, so I’m sure they’ll be offering help in how to go about paying them lol

Nope. Really wish we get some type of notification soon. The semester starts next week for me and I really don't want to take these classes if I don't need to ( only doing it for RVC)

For anyone curious about RVC, I’m not sure if it’ll be the same in your case, but my application portal updated with my conditional offer before I received an email from the university. Like I said, I can’t guarantee anything, but you might try checking there if you haven’t heard back. Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone curious about RVC, I’m not sure if it’ll be the same in your case, but my application portal updated with my conditional offer before I received an email from the university. Like I said, I can’t guarantee anything, but you might try checking there if you haven’t heard back. Best of luck everyone!
I’ve been refreshing like crazy everyday 🥲 still nothing yet. Does anyone know why they send out acceptances in different waves ??