UIC College of Medicine Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Illuminatus said:
Time for New Curriculum?

looking at threads of some other schools, I noticed that many schools are preparing new curricula for future classes. I wonder if UIC is doing any of that. I like the traditional curriculum at UIC, but maybe they can work towards reducing inclass time.

this is something i was interested in seeing if uic is pursuing - a revamped curriculum. at the second look, one of the speakers made it seem like uic is a mix of traditional, pbl, etc and that they are constantly reforming their curriculum. seems more like a selling tool than anything else.

i was under the impression that every day we'd be in class from 8-5, but i spoke with a few students who said 3 days a week, class time is 8-12:30 and 2 times a week until 4:30 (because of anatomy lab). also here and there, you might have an extra day where you go until 3-4 because of the clinical medicine class.

Members don't see this ad.

May 15th is quickly approaching.. yet I have no financial aid award letter!! Has ANYONE gotten theirs yet?

sga814 said:
May 15th is quickly approaching.. yet I have no financial aid award letter!! Has ANYONE gotten theirs yet?

No and I am REALLY getting annoyed with this

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, i called finaid and they said they dont give any grants! AND IM OUT OF STATE!

but still, no finaid package...

rjb said:
hey guys, i called finaid and they said they dont give any grants! AND IM OUT OF STATE!

but still, no finaid package...

They give only about $1500 scholarships to some, I think.

I just want to know what the tuition is going to be and whether it'll be a steep increase from last year. Do they have the final rates online, or are they still unsure?
All the stuff I got from UIC only said "estimated tuition."

bloHaZaRd said:

I just want to know what the tuition is going to be and whether it'll be a steep increase from last year. Do they have the final rates online, or are they still unsure?

There was a post here about that but it is gone. Where did it go!!??

did anyone else get this email?
----

chitown82:

In the next few days you will receive a mailing from the UIC College of
Medicine
introducing you to the Urban Medicine (UMed) curriculum. UMed is an
initiative
of the college whose mission is:

밫o admit, prepare and graduate physicians who will 춁fter completing
residency training?practice in urban communities in any specialty deemed as needed for
those
communities?
Because of your extracurricular activities, choice of course work in
college, and other factors
we believe you might be interested in being part of this exciting new
program. We will use
the address you provided in your AMCAS application. If your address has
changed since the
initial application, please let me know.

I sincerely hope you will consider this opportunity,

Jorge A. Girotti, Ph.D.
Associate Dean and Director
Admissions and Special Curricular Programs

I got the FinAid package today, and I'm from downtown Chicago.

Looks like the tuition is a little more than $24,000, and total expenses round up to about $40,000 for in-state. About what we expected, right?

ya i got the same thing. anyone else?

chitown82 said:
did anyone else get this email?
----

chitown82:

In the next few days you will receive a mailing from the UIC College of
Medicine
introducing you to the Urban Medicine (UMed) curriculum. UMed is an
initiative
of the college whose mission is:

밫o admit, prepare and graduate physicians who will 춁fter completing
residency training?practice in urban communities in any specialty deemed as needed for
those
communities?
Because of your extracurricular activities, choice of course work in
college, and other factors
we believe you might be interested in being part of this exciting new
program. We will use
the address you provided in your AMCAS application. If your address has
changed since the
initial application, please let me know.

I sincerely hope you will consider this opportunity,

Jorge A. Girotti, Ph.D.
Associate Dean and Director
Admissions and Special Curricular Programs

Did anybody get any money from them? I haven't gotten my package, but I called the financial aid office and they said all I was getting in scholarships was $1000... which makes it kind of expensive for a public school.

lucky, i called lsat week and they hadnt even prepared my package.

got my package today- looks like I'm moving to Debt City after graduation.
At least it's less than private schools....

sga814 said:
At least it's less than private schools....

not for me...

bloHaZaRd said:

$26,288 (tuition + mandatory fees + disability insurance)

Members don't see this ad :)
just called a few minutes ago and they said my financial aid letter should be in the mail tomorrow. Guess they are a little behind this year.

I got mine today... not looking forward to the debt I am going to be bringing in but I'm ok with it. Got a $1000 scholarship which I suppose will help a little bit :0)

those who got scholarships, i havent heard yet... what were ur stats adn when did u get in?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but since Im going be part of the Class of 2009 at UIC, I guess its never too late to join in.

I read through the whole thread. U people are really hard-core.

Im assigned to the Urbana track but I appealed for the Chicago track. Hopefully I get in.

I live in the SouthWest but I have family in Chicago. Im going to visit Chicago this weekend.

I havent gotten my Financial Aid package, but that may be b/c they want to verify my Social Security Card Name. They are kinda weird like that.

Where's my fin aid package!!! :mad: I want it already! I live in Chicago, so it shouldn't have taken this long.

aragonh said:
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but since Im going be part of the Class of 2009 at UIC, I guess its never too late to join in.

I read through the whole thread. U people are really hard-core.

Im assigned to the Urbana track but I appealed for the Chicago track. Hopefully I get in.

I live in the SouthWest but I have family in Chicago. Im going to visit Chicago this weekend.

I havent gotten my Financial Aid package, but that may be b/c they want to verify my Social Security Card Name. They are kinda weird like that.

Welcome... good luck getting into Chicago. But urbana really isn't that bad :)

I've heard there's something like 75-80 people assigned to urbana that want chicago. Does anybody know from years past an estimated percent of people that actually get the change? And how soon after May 15th can we expect to hear of movement?

JuanRafia said:
I've heard there's something like 75-80 people assigned to urbana that want chicago. Does anybody know from years past an estimated percent of people that actually get the change? And how soon after May 15th can we expect to hear of movement?

I was also wondering about this. Does anyone know if they take people off the waitlist based on how early they were accepted?
I have an interview at UIC this week, but may not attend if there is no chance I will be assigned the Chicago campus. Anyone know how this works and the likelihood of getting into UIC-chicago after interviewing this late?
Thanks!

JuanRafia said:

I sent my withdrawal in yesterday...that's one more Chicago spot for you guys, good luck!

sdnUser500 said:
I was also wondering about this. Does anyone know if they take people off the waitlist based on how early they were accepted?
I have an interview at UIC this week, but may not attend if there is no chance I will be assigned the Chicago campus. Anyone know how this works and the likelihood of getting into UIC-chicago after interviewing this late?
Thanks!

chicago filled up in december. im sure all those people who have been accepted adn got stuck with urbana/r/p are ahead of you.

still go to the interview, i had some bomb pizza

rjb said:
i had some bomb pizza

That's Pompei... ahhh

Wait til you try Gino's East... mmm

liebs3 said:
That's Pompei... ahhh

Wait til you try Gino's East... mmm

oh Chicago's Pizza... we are going to have to have a field trip to Gino's :D

rjb said:
chicago filled up in december. im sure all those people who have been accepted adn got stuck with urbana/r/p are ahead of you.

still go to the interview, i had some bomb pizza

I interviewed in January and was assigned to Chicago in February

Hey guys,
Do you know what the budget is for next year? I mean tuition, living expenses, etc? Because every example I look at is really old, the latest tuition numbers they give were from 2002-2003. Please let me know, thanks.

leiface said:
Hey guys,
Do you know what the budget is for next year? I mean tuition, living expenses, etc? Because every example I look at is really old, the latest tuition numbers they give were from 2002-2003. Please let me know, thanks.

About 40-41K for EVERYTHING M1.

nimer1456 said:
Welcome... good luck getting into Chicago. But urbana really isn't that bad :)

Thanx for the welcome!!
I agree about Urbana. I have some people down there. They like it.

I've spoken to several admin and I'll find out by this week were I am headin for sure. A lot of acceptees are withdrawing . . . .and most of those have the Chicago track. So it looks good!!

General questions:

Does UIC have simulated practice patients (not actors) to practice procedures on?

Do chicago and urbana start the same time (aug 17)?

Does ER ever mention UIC in any of its episodes?

How fired up are you all to get started this fall? I'm stoked to get going, meet people, and begin the journey to MDhood.

Also, is it a major pain to live lincoln park and get to school?

Lastly, do they tape and broadcast lectures via Web at UIC?

Muchas gracias.

i can answer a few...

Boardrider said:
General questions:

Does UIC have simulated practice patients (not actors) to practice procedures on?

Yes.

Do chicago and urbana start the same time (aug 17)?

From what I heard, Chicago's orientation starts Aug 9 and classes start Aug 15. Not sure about Urbana.

Does ER ever mention UIC in any of its episodes?

I was wondering this myself...anyone else?

How fired up are you all to get started this fall? I'm stoked to get going, meet people, and begin the journey to MDhood.

I'm psyched to move to Chicago, meet new (hopefully cool, nice, etc) people, and learn.

I'm not entirely familiar with the area, but it seems like Lincoln Park is a bit further than where most students live. Don't quote me on this.

Lastly, do they tape and broadcast lectures via Web at UIC?

Dunno.

Muchas gracias.

On another note, anyone call/e-mail to find out about this UMed program? I got a letter/application in the mail, but the info was a bit sparse.

i just wanted to post in here and welcome you all to UIC. youll have a blast. if any of you are slated to the UPR (urbana-peoria/rockford) track and have questions, feel free to send me a PM.

some of your questions are pretty funny though, has UIC ever been mentioned on ER? haha. anyway, congrats and good luck!

UIC is mentioned in the episode where Benton is on the AdCom for some fictional school. And supposedly it's some very good school, cause the Adcom looked down upon an MCAT score in the 90th percentile (so it can't be Rush or UIC- no offense). Can it be the U of Chicago (all the helicopters on the show display the school's logo). But wait, Cook County has no affiliation with University of Chicago, right? Also- remember this- ER is fiction, based on real stories and good writers' imaginations- and it's filmed in LA!! Only some of the outside scenes are actually filmed in Chicago. I say this because, when UIC was mentioned, it was referred to by the other Adcom people as a place that "any idiot" could get good grades. They were referring to, of course, the undergraduate institution (Benton was concerned about a Black kid with 3.8 GPA from UIC who didn't even get an interview).

Also, Cook County Hospital (Or Stroger- whatever it's called now) is only loosely affilated with UIC. Most rotations will be done at Masonic, St. Francis, Lutheran, and other places in the Advocate network. You can try to get an elective rotation at County though; I'm not sure how hard that is to obtain. If you go to Rush, however, you will can do like half of your rotations at County. Surprisingly though, I couldn't find any listings on the hospital's website for rotations OR residencies in Emergency Medicine. So unless I'm wrong, regardless of where you go, you'll see little of "ER's" famed location. If someone knows of rotations or residencies at County ER, please, please prove me wrong (I'd love to do a rotation there)!!

Regardless, ER is still a damn good show!! (hope I didn't ruin it for anyone)

sga814 said:
UIC is mentioned in the episode where Benton is on the AdCom for some fictional school. And supposedly it's some very good school, cause the Adcom looked down upon an MCAT score in the 90th percentile (so it can't be Rush or UIC- no offense). Can it be the U of Chicago (all the helicopters on the show display the school's logo). But wait, Cook County has no affiliation with University of Chicago, right? Also- remember this- ER is fiction, based on real stories and good writers' imaginations- and it's filmed in LA!! Only some of the outside scenes are actually filmed in Chicago. I say this because, when UIC was mentioned, it was referred to by the other Adcom people as a place that "any idiot" could get good grades. They were referring to, of course, the undergraduate institution (Benton was concerned about a Black kid with 3.8 GPA from UIC who didn't even get an interview).

Also, Cook County Hospital (Or Stroger- whatever it's called now) is only loosely affilated with UIC. Most rotations will be done at Masonic, St. Francis, Lutheran, and other places in the Advocate network. You can try to get an elective rotation at County though; I'm not sure how hard that is to obtain. If you go to Rush, however, you will can do like half of your rotations at County. Surprisingly though, I couldn't find any listings on the hospital's website for rotations OR residencies in Emergency Medicine. So unless I'm wrong, regardless of where you go, you'll see little of "ER's" famed location. If someone knows of rotations or residencies at County ER, please, please prove me wrong (I'd love to do a rotation there)!!

http://www.ccbh.org/

Included is information about residency and 4th year rotations through the ER.

Awesome!! Thanks for finding that site.. for some reason, the general County website doesn't list that residency... Anyways, still seems that it may tough getting a rotation there through UIC.

And weren't many of the students on ER 3rd years? I guess County ER just doesn't trust those neophytes.

hey guys, : ) i'm going to be an M1 in the fall at Chicago downtown, and i'm gunning for us to start an m3/m4 COM Prom. what do you guys think? I know it seems geeky, but i think it would be SO fun.

i guess some gunning is aite har har! DAYMN its awesome to see some of my classmates, from what i hear, the current UIC M1 class doesnt hang around that much, while the current Urbana M1 class has personality (sources multiple but nobody from chicago to verify)

sga814 said:

It's actually not hard at all to do your ER rotation at Cook county coming from UIC. However, many students choose to do their ER rotation at either Christ (arguably the best ER program in Chicago) or at UIC.
During your 3rd yr, you can do Surgery, Peds or Family at Cook. You can also do Ortho, ER etc there during your 4th yr.
http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/ -->3rd/4th yr (at the bottom left) --> clerkship reporting. Good luck

Well, I guess this has taught me never again to rely on information from the office of admissions website (including the catalog). Why aren't all those cool things listed there?

Boardrider said:

Depends on where in lincoln park and whether you're planning to drive or take the el. I've taken Ashland to get to UIC a couple times, and it takes about 30-35 min from Fullerton. It's much more congested further North. The el would probably take much longer, depending on how close you lived to the Blue line - probably not that close since lincoln park is mostly served by the red line - a train commute could take an 50 min/hour just because there isn't a direct route. Lincoln Park is a great place to live (I'm rather biased after living there for about 22 years), but you may want to make sure you're comfortable with the commute first.

liebs3 said:
Depends on where in lincoln park and whether you're planning to drive or take the el. I've taken Ashland to get to UIC a couple times, and it takes about 30-35 min from Fullerton. It's much more congested further North. The el would probably take much longer, depending on how close you lived to the Blue line - probably not that close since lincoln park is mostly served by the red line - a train commute could take an 50 min/hour just because there isn't a direct route. Lincoln Park is a great place to live (I'm rather biased after living there for about 22 years), but you may want to make sure you're comfortable with the commute first.

Hm, I don't think it would take 50 minutes to get to UIC from Lincoln Park . My guess is no longer than 30-40 min on a normal day. During the evening/night, I agree- it could take as long as an hour.

If you're considering living up North anyway- you should try Evanston. You'll get to UIC faster than from Lincoln Park with the el's purple express. I've timed it- 20 min from Howard.

Well, I wouldnt recommend living that far from campus. I used to commute before. It sucks when u have to go home late at night

UIC is very slow about getting together a list server and I would like to rent an apartment in the near future. If anyone is looking for a roommate PM me and we can talk. :) I am not too picky about where I live as long as the commute to campus is not too long.

does it matter to UIC if you don't finish a master's that you are in the middle of finishing? I've scoured all their info and it doesn't seem like it matters and I'm reluctant to call and ask right now.

JuanRafia said:
does it matter to UIC if you don't finish a master's that you are in the middle of finishing? I've scoured all their info and it doesn't seem like it matters and I'm reluctant to call and ask right now.

You may as well give them a call. You dont want to be screwed b/c of this.

nimer1456 said:
UIC is very slow about getting together a list server and I would like to rent an apartment in the near future. If anyone is looking for a roommate PM me and we can talk. :) I am not too picky about where I live as long as the commute to campus is not too long.

What makes u think they are going to put a list-server together??

The Urbana people mailed out "welcome" packets already. It included housing info.

I've been recently informed that the Chicago people have yet to send out their "welcome" packets.

Now I know which site shows more love to their students

anyone get finaid lately? i still havent received mine.

rjb said:
anyone get finaid lately? i still havent received mine.

yeah, like a week ago... check some previous posts

aragonh said:
What makes u think they are going to put a list-server together??

The Urbana people mailed out "welcome" packets already. It included housing info.

I've been recently informed that the Chicago people have yet to send out their "welcome" packets.

Now I know which site shows more love to their students

I was talking to the lady (blanking on her name) at the second look day and she said that they will send out an email to us all so that we can have eachothers emails. I am not sure how formal it is but it will be a way to interact with eachother. Also, I have a friend who is an M1 and he mentioned something similar to me this past fall.

All I want is a roommate... and I will be happy :oops: