UIC College of Medicine Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illuminatus

The Enlighted One
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess lot of SDNers must have got accepted into UIC by now. So I thought it would be a good idea to open a thread to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of UIC.

Everyone is invited.

I would start with some obvious strengths.

1. Cheap instate tuition (for me).
2. Good hospitals.
3. Fewer Gunners.
4. Awesome city of Chicago!

I also noted some threads about UIC site preference and interviews. Feel free to post your inquiries here.

Members don't see this ad.

PRO=

located in largest medical district in the world.

CON=

first two years are hell, so i have heard

i'd be interested in the stats as well..

Members don't see this ad :)
35 MCAT/3.8 GPA, tons of research experience, Illinois resident, undergrad at University of Illinois, just got an interview invite last week.

PBR727 said:
35 MCAT/3.8 GPA, tons of research experience, Illinois resident, undergrad at University of Illinois, just got an interview invite last week.

Sounds like me. I go to U of I too! I might be in one of your classes..haha. Or I might even know you. I am amazed by how many people at U of I score in mid to high 30s on the MCAT. I guess it is a result of strength in numbers. With so many people, some of them will definitely do well. Also, U of I's sciences program is very strong. MCB 150/250 + Chem 107/108/236/336 + Phys 101/102 do the trick for most people. U of I education was definitely a good value!

Lets hope that UIC education will be a good value too!

P.S: Got assigned to Chicago campus..Yay!

Did anyone read about the boy who left the hospital for the first time in his life at two years age? It's on the first page of Chicago Sun Times. He was treated at UIC Medical Center, and had two transplants. At downtown schools, one is more likely to come across this kind of cases than elsewhere. I am glad that I got in the Chicago campus.

Just got confirmation about being assigned to the Chicago track!

Therefore, put me down to be in the club!

(Pending the financial aid packet, of course :D :D :D )

If you want stats, click the link...you know the drill

hey guys, anyone accepted to uic from cali or outta state... as of now, UIC is my top choice...

those of you accepted, what are u like. are u gonna go to uic, is it worth the out of state fees?

rjb said:
hey guys, anyone accepted to uic from cali or outta state... as of now, UIC is my top choice...

those of you accepted, what are u like. are u gonna go to uic, is it worth the out of state fees?

I don't know about all the other acceptees, but I beat you and beat you and beat you if you decide to come.

rjb said:

Definitely not worth the out of state tuition. It is a good school, but there is no need to pay $50,000-60,000 for UIC. I wouldn't pay that even for Harvard. Of course, I didn't have any Harvard like extra-curricular activities, or life experiences to get into Harvard.

I just had my interview Friday in Chigaco and loved it! It's one of my top choices. They told us that we would basically get our first choice campus with this round of acceptances.

Got my confirmation for the Chicago campus. Just waiting on a response from one more school... then I will know what part of Chicago I will call home next year :oops:

Illuminatus said:
Did anyone read about the boy who left the hospital for the first time in his life at two years age? It's on the first page of Chicago Sun Times. He was treated at UIC Medical Center, and had two transplants. At downtown schools, one is more likely to come across this kind of cases than elsewhere. I am glad that I got in the Chicago campus.

I'm a resident there. I worked the PICU a couple months back. That child is basically the child of all the collective nurses and most of us residents. Cute kid, I was there when he ate the first time in his life. Pretty cool, he's definitely fun to have around except for when he gets sick. Talk about wetting your pants. If anything happened to that kid on your call night, no one in the department would let you live it down. Thank god I made it through my month without him getting sick.

Also congrats to all you choosing UIC. 1st 2years can be painful, but if you bust your but 3rd and 4th year you will come out strong. The hard working UIC med students I have worked with clinically outshine most of the other students I have worked with in the past. Just my biased 2 cents. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the next admissions committee meeting is? I just had my interview at a different UIC site yesterday and they told me I'd hear back near the middle or end of January, so I was wondering if there was a meeting in December.

How long does it usually take between their meeting time and sending out responses?

Anybody get any news from UIC?

My friend interviewed there in late November. The adcom meeting was supposed to be yesterday, but his status page hasn't changed yet. So no worries.

Happy Holidays.

Cheers,

IS

My status page didn't change until the Friday night after the meeting, which I guess would be tonight for you guys!

does the status page actually tell you the adcom's decision?

DrThom said:
My status page didn't change until the Friday night after the meeting, which I guess would be tonight for you guys!

I thought that the status page changed on Monday, not Friday. Mine hasn't changed, so I am hoping that it either means it's because it doesn't change until Monday, instead of meaning that I am on hold.

bugger said:
I thought that the status page changed on Monday, not Friday. Mine hasn't changed, so I am hoping that it either means it's because it doesn't change until Monday, instead of meaning that I am on hold.

Sorry, you're right. Mine did change on a Monday, I meant to put Monday but typed Friday (I was really excited it was Friday today). So yeah, maybe it'll change Monday but if you are on hold, they will shoot you an email telling you so.

DrThom said:
Sorry, you're right. Mine did change on a Monday, I meant to put Monday but typed Friday (I was really excited it was Friday today). So yeah, maybe it'll change Monday but if you are on hold, they will shoot you an email telling you so.

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I haven't gotten an email from them telling me I am on hold. So, I will hope for the best.

best of luck!! my interview is in jan so around this time month ill be waiting anxiously

chitown82 said:
best of luck!! my interview is in jan so around this time month ill be waiting anxiously

Good luck Chitown~don't sweat the interview it is super chill

On another note, has anybody's status page changed or have they recieved an email? Sorry to be so neurotic!

bugger said:
Good luck Chitown~don't sweat the interview it is super chill

On another note, has anybody's status page changed or have they recieved an email? Sorry to be so neurotic!
Not yet, I'll definitely post when it does change though. :)

WTF? Where's the change in status page? :mad:

leiface said:
WTF? Where's the change in status page? :mad:

According to a friend who called- they will send letters, but the status page will not indicate whether we have been accepted or waitlisted. But others said the status page does change, so who knows. Mine hasn't changed either.

I just checked my status page and it changed indicating that I needed to schedule an interview. I called and surely I was invited and scheduled an interview. Apparently the letter is in the mail.

WORD! My status page hasn't changed either. Does anyone know if we can call and get some kind of information? Or do we have to wait till thursday?

bugger said:
WORD! My status page hasn't changed either. Does anyone know if we can call and get some kind of information? Or do we have to wait till thursday?

When my friend called yesterday they said they will not tell you what the decision is over the phone- you have to wait for the snail mail.

Stendek said:
When my friend called yesterday they said they will not tell you what the decision is over the phone- you have to wait for the snail mail.

But at least we could find out whether or not a decision was even made. I mean, if the status page isn't changing, isn't it safe to assume that no decision has even been made?

bugger said:
But at least we could find out whether or not a decision was even made. I mean, if the status page isn't changing, isn't it safe to assume that no decision has even been made?

If a decision has been made, your status page will change from "Application Pending" to "A final decision was made on your application on (date). Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone." Usually, if you get this, that means you are in...

Has anyone looked into housing or fin aid at UIC? In blue handbook, they seem to have lot of scholarships available. However, they don't talk about any of those scholarships in the Financial Aid pamplet. Does anyone know how it works?

How does housing work at UIC? Any current students with information out there..?

DrThom said:
If a decision has been made, your status page will change from "Application Pending" to "A final decision was made on your application on (date). Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone." Usually, if you get this, that means you are in...

Just checked my status page - it finally changed from "Application Pending" to this message! So those who are waiting, check yours and see if a decision has finally been made! Too bad I won't see the actual decision for another day or too.

maygirl said:
Just checked my status page - it finally changed from "Application Pending" to this message! So those who are waiting, check yours and see if a decision has finally been made! Too bad I won't see the actual decision for another day or too.

when did you interview? Congrats!

Stendek said:
when did you interview? Congrats!

2 weeks ago! They told us that we would have our decisions by Christmas, and they were right.

maygirl said:

Mine also change to "A final decision was made on your application on 12-22-04. Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone." Is this good news? Have they rejected anyone post-interviewy yet?

How does housing work at UIC? Any current students with information out there..?[/QUOTE]

RE: UIC- Chicago campus
Single Student Residence (SSR) Hall on the West campus is the one usu. given to Med students and other students over 21yrs old.

http://www.housing.uic.edu/halls/index.html

leiface said:
Mine also change to "A final decision was made on your application on 12-22-04. Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks, please contact the Admissions Office. No decision will be given over the telephone." Is this good news? Have they rejected anyone post-interviewy yet?
Yeah mine changed too. Everybody hope for the best!!

Hiya folks,
Anyone know of UIC's MD/PhD program and their application process?

I also received this email a while ago freom UIC MD program about writing two more essays on various listed topics. Anyone else receive this too?

Thanks in advance, happy holidays.

Who else here has seen their status page change? Has anybody's not changed?

Mine changed (interview 12/7) today. Hoping for the best because I could really use my first acceptance right about now!

Mine hasn't changed from Oct 18th (Complete date for the addendum). I haven't been rejected or invited for an interview yet.

I HATE the words "Application in Process." right about now.

yo,

if anyone on this thread has any questions about UIC Med, i am an M2 and have amassed some knowledge that you may like to know.

one thing that i will say for sure, i have friends at all three campuses - chicago, rockford and peoria. when i was in your shoes, i wanted to go to chicago worse than anyone...but i got placed in the UIUC track. this was probably the best thing that could have happened.

the friends i have in chicago have done nothing but complain about the quality of teaching at UIC Chicago, while i would say just the opposite. especially true once you get to peoria, the attention that you get here is MUCH more than you would get in chicago, especially in the clinics. you may think that chicago has sweet hospitals, which is true. but being here i feel like i am getting treated with respect and learning a TON. also, you should check for sure, but last i checked UIC Peoria had the best step 1 scores of all three campuses. that says it all.

good luck everyone!

PBMaxx said:
Mine hasn't changed from Oct 18th (Complete date for the addendum). I haven't been rejected or invited for an interview yet.

I HATE the words "Application in Process." right about now.

hmmmm...seemed to have lost my email with the link to the status page (and username and password as well...grrrr. can someone please paste the link??? thanks!
:thumbup:

Wow, looks like lots of acceptances coming your way...

Those of you with status changes that say "A final decision was made on your application..." Is there a date next to Additional Correspondence on the top right corner of the screen? There is not a date on mine and I'm wondering if that suggests they haven't even sent out anything yet.

leiface said:
Those of you with status changes that say "A final decision was made on your application..." Is there a date next to Additional Correspondence on the top right corner of the screen? There is not a date on mine and I'm wondering if that suggests they haven't even sent out anything yet.

No, I don't have a date either.

DoctorG said:
How does housing work at UIC? Any current students with information out there..?[

RE: UIC- Chicago campus
Single Student Residence (SSR) Hall on the West campus is the one usu. given to Med students and other students over 21yrs old.

http://www.housing.uic.edu/halls/index.html

How does SSR work? From the website, I m getting the impression that everyone gets a room in the 3-4 person apartment. What about food? Do u guys have a food plan or do you all cook in the apartment together?
Are the apartments co-ed?

Would you recommend living in SSR or getting an apartment?