UIC College of Medicine Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when r u thinking of moving into an apt??

Im thinking of moving into an apt around August.

Members don't see this ad.

aragonh said:
when r u thinking of moving into an apt??

Im thinking of moving into an apt around August.

July 31/August 1 range.

EDIT: ok that is not really a range. I plan on moving around those dates give or take a few :)

nimer1456 said:
July 31/August 1 range.

EDIT: ok that is not really a range. I plan on moving around those dates give or take a few :)

Me 2!!

Actually, Im thinking of doin my x-country moving on the July 29 weeekend.

Im going to Chicago this weekend, so hopefully I can c whats available and find something close to campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
aragonh said:
Me 2!!

Actually, Im thinking of doin my x-country moving on the July 29 weeekend.

Im going to Chicago this weekend, so hopefully I can c whats available and find something close to campus.

awesome! I live in Urbana so it isnt really that hard to get up to the city. I plan on going up in june to rent a place around the school. Where are you from? Were you offically moved to the Chicago campus? since you are renting I assume yes, so congrats!

rjb said:
anyone get finaid lately? i still havent received mine.

got mine a couple days ago. Not at all happy with it either. $0 in scholarships/grants, all loans. Have pretty good stats too (33 with a 3.7 at a top 20 school), so I was really hoping for at least a little bit of love.

MisterMo said:
got mine a couple days ago. Not at all happy with it either. $0 in scholarships/grants, all loans. Have pretty good stats too (33 with a 3.7 at a top 20 school), so I was really hoping for at least a little bit of love.

I know I'm usually wrong most of time, but I thought the max UIC will actually award in scholarships is $1500 per year (or semester?). Outside scholarships are a different story- you can have as many of those as you want. So looks like you're not losing out on much, MisterMo. Once again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is how your award letter should be if UIC fin aid had mercy on you. This is assuming that you are independent and didn't make lot of $$$ last year.

5000 in UIC COM scholarship (Seems to be merit based)
1000 Alumni & Friends of Med School Scholarship (I know its says $1500 on the pamphlet that came in mail, but I haven't heard of anyone who has got it this year..anyone here??)
8500 Direct Subsidized loans
6000 Perkins Loans (Also subsidized)
Rest in Direct unsubsidized loans.

Illuminatus said:
This is how your award letter should be if UIC fin aid had mercy on you. This is assuming that you are independent and didn't make lot of $$$ last year.

5000 in UIC COM scholarship (Seems to be merit based)
1000 Alumni & Friends of Med School Scholarship (I know its says $1500 on the pamphlet that came in mail, but I haven't heard of anyone who has got it this year..anyone here??)
8500 Direct Subsidized loans
6000 Perkins Loans (Also subsidized)
Rest in Direct unsubsidized loans.

Wow, I only got the Alumni and Friends one for $1000, and only $1000 in perkins, the rest was the 8.5K sub loan and federal unsub. I guess it pays to get good grades in undergrad. Nice job Illuminatus!

sga814 said:
Wow, I only got the Alumni and Friends one for $1000, and only $1000 in perkins, the rest was the 8.5K sub loan and federal unsub. I guess it pays to get good grades in undergrad. Nice job Illuminatus!

hehe..I didn't get all these..I wish I had :D . This is from talking to couple of people I know and reading the information from UIC Fin Aid packet. I also got only 1000 in Perkins, and I don't know anyone who got more. Maybe, they are giving only 1000 in Perkins. The official maximum is 6000.

Basically, they are not giving out much :(

Hey everyone, my name is Peter. I need ya'lls help (I'm from TX, so yes, I say "ya'll").
This was my second year of applying to med school. I interviewed at UIC in February, and received my acceptance letter about 5 weeks later. I was assigned to the Urbana track. This made me a very sad panda. I am from a small town in South Texas (McAllen), and did my undergrad at UT Austin, then moved to Dallas, so I wanted to continue my upward climb of metropolitan cities (no offense to the Urbana people, cause I've heard that UC is actually pretty cool). So, like a lot of other people, I requested a change to Chi-town.
I had a few more interviews lined up, but honestly, in my mind, the reason for attending them was 75% to take a trip and 25% to see the school, since I LOVE Chicago, and I have a friend who's an M3 there, and I've always had great times visiting, not to mention all the pluses of UIC, since I've always been in research and it is a great research school.
My 3 "optional" interviews were at NYMC, Drexel, and SLU. Like I said, I wasn't expecting much, but man I really liked NYMC. The campus was awesome with trees, GRASS, campus-wide wifi, and the surrounding area itself (Westchester) was great and only 25 mins north of NYC, which, to me, is the best city in the US. Basically I left there confused, but not too worried, since I didn't think I'd get in. They said they'd let me know in 8 weeks (this was April 28th).
This past friday, I woke up and received an email from UIC saying I had been granted a scholarship ($5K the first year, $2.5K the next three years if I perform well...this isn't too much in the grand SCHEME of medical school tuition, but hell, I'll take $12.5K anyday! Woohoo free money!). I called my parents to tell them the news, and while on the phone with them I received a call from UIC telling me that my track change request was approved. WORD! This was awesome, it looked like it was all settling in place (*maliciously rubs hands together*). So I get online to email my M3 friend, and there's a freakin' acceptance letter from NYMC. This was too much news for a 20-min period, man.
But now I'm stuck.
Did anyone out there choose from these 2 schools? What affected your decision and why? Did anyone choose one and now regrets not choosing the other?
I feel like I'm weighing the pluses of the social/environmental aspects of NY against the academic aspects of UIC, but I can't help it, I love NY, it's just such a crazy place. But, honestly, is UIC a much better school?
I don't think that I want to go into family practice, but maybe into some sort of surgery or even derm (don't laugh), and I think UIC would offer me a better opportunity to accomplish this.
But the anatomy lab @ NYMC was amazing, not morbid at all, and on-campus housing is incredible and super cheap.
At the same time, I feel kind of an allegiance to UIC, since they were the first to accept me, and since they granted my track change request, and since they gave me that sweet scholarship, not to mention that Pilar Bautista, who works with Dr. Girotti at the Hispanic Center of Excellence, is like the coolest evar!!!!1!!1!!111!shift-one. I feel like this "allegiance" is drawing me to UIC for non-academic reasons, much like NYMC is drawing me to it because of NYC.

I'm trying to limit my brain-battles in this post (as you can tell I'm extremely verbose), but any and all help is greatly appreciated. I'm really confused here.
I think I'm leaning towards UIC, so this post is also to say "hi" to those of you I may meet in August.
Also, I'm making this a topic, so sorry if you've read this twice.
Feel free to PM/email me ([email protected]) if you'd like!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

ciao
pma

What up, people...

Just decided today that I'm going to UIC in Chicago...
Now Im interested in figuring out the housing situation. Any ideas?
Im also interested in a room mate situation. Anyone interested?

I'm sure many people are in my situation so I think some talk about housing might be in order for this thread...

See you all soon,
GTA
(by the way, if you want to talk to me directly about rooming, PM me please)

casanova70 said:
Hey everyone, my name is Peter. I need ya'lls help (I'm from TX, so yes, I say "ya'll").
This was my second year of applying to med school. I interviewed at UIC in February, and received my acceptance letter about 5 weeks later. I was assigned to the Urbana track. This made me a very sad panda. I am from a small town in South Texas (McAllen), and did my undergrad at UT Austin, then moved to Dallas, so I wanted to continue my upward climb of metropolitan cities (no offense to the Urbana people, cause I've heard that UC is actually pretty cool). So, like a lot of other people, I requested a change to Chi-town.
I had a few more interviews lined up, but honestly, in my mind, the reason for attending them was 75% to take a trip and 25% to see the school, since I LOVE Chicago, and I have a friend who's an M3 there, and I've always had great times visiting, not to mention all the pluses of UIC, since I've always been in research and it is a great research school.
My 3 "optional" interviews were at NYMC, Drexel, and SLU. Like I said, I wasn't expecting much, but man I really liked NYMC. The campus was awesome with trees, GRASS, campus-wide wifi, and the surrounding area itself (Westchester) was great and only 25 mins north of NYC, which, to me, is the best city in the US. Basically I left there confused, but not too worried, since I didn't think I'd get in. They said they'd let me know in 8 weeks (this was April 28th).
This past friday, I woke up and received an email from UIC saying I had been granted a scholarship ($5K the first year, $2.5K the next three years if I perform well...this isn't too much in the grand SCHEME of medical school tuition, but hell, I'll take $12.5K anyday! Woohoo free money!). I called my parents to tell them the news, and while on the phone with them I received a call from UIC telling me that my track change request was approved. WORD! This was awesome, it looked like it was all settling in place (*maliciously rubs hands together*). So I get online to email my M3 friend, and there's a freakin' acceptance letter from NYMC. This was too much news for a 20-min period, man.
But now I'm stuck.
Did anyone out there choose from these 2 schools? What affected your decision and why? Did anyone choose one and now regrets not choosing the other?
I feel like I'm weighing the pluses of the social/environmental aspects of NY against the academic aspects of UIC, but I can't help it, I love NY, it's just such a crazy place. But, honestly, is UIC a much better school?
I don't think that I want to go into family practice, but maybe into some sort of surgery or even derm (don't laugh), and I think UIC would offer me a better opportunity to accomplish this.
But the anatomy lab @ NYMC was amazing, not morbid at all, and on-campus housing is incredible and super cheap.
At the same time, I feel kind of an allegiance to UIC, since they were the first to accept me, and since they granted my track change request, and since they gave me that sweet scholarship, not to mention that Pilar Bautista, who works with Dr. Girotti at the Hispanic Center of Excellence, is like the coolest evar!!!!1!!1!!111!shift-one. I feel like this "allegiance" is drawing me to UIC for non-academic reasons, much like NYMC is drawing me to it because of NYC.

I'm trying to limit my brain-battles in this post (as you can tell I'm extremely verbose), but any and all help is greatly appreciated. I'm really confused here.
I think I'm leaning towards UIC, so this post is also to say "hi" to those of you I may meet in August.
Also, I'm making this a topic, so sorry if you've read this twice.
Feel free to PM/email me ([email protected]) if you'd like!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

ciao
pma

casanova???? go to NY... ;)

Ok, so i went to Chicago this weekend. Talked w/ Dr. Girotti.
He said that their "Welcome Committee" (he used another name for it. . I forgot it) was going to meet some time this week. After they meet, then they will send out packets on housing, calendar, other stuff etc.

I informed him if the committe could generate a listserver for all incoming M1s for the Chicago track so that they could contact each other about housing, renting and roommates.

He said that would be a great idea . . .he'll pass it on to the committte.

In the mean time, he said that as soon as you register with UIC, you get the emails of other students. But i dont think that will be as effective as the list server.

So, at the moment, Im also looking for roommates. But I want to first find a place very, very close to campus. (My main concern) So for all those looking for roomates, what are your preferences in location-wise?? How about space-wise?? How about number of roommates??

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok this is a bit out of the way the topic's being going now, but since all you future UIC medstudents check this place out I might as well ask over here, what were your stats and do you think you were in the top range, middle range or lower range of people who got in??

thanks a lot!

aragonh said:
Ok, so i went to Chicago this weekend. Talked w/ Dr. Girotti.
He said that their "Welcome Committee" (he used another name for it. . I forgot it) was going to meet some time this week. After they meet, then they will send out packets on housing, calendar, other stuff etc.

I informed him if the committe could generate a listserver for all incoming M1s for the Chicago track so that they could contact each other about housing, renting and roommates.

He said that would be a great idea . . .he'll pass it on to the committte.

In the mean time, he said that as soon as you register with UIC, you get the emails of other students. But i dont think that will be as effective as the list server.

So, at the moment, Im also looking for roommates. But I want to first find a place very, very close to campus. (My main concern) So for all those looking for roomates, what are your preferences in location-wise?? How about space-wise?? How about number of roommates??

How do we register with UIC? I know to get our netID we need our UIN but I dont know where to get that. Can we call or email someone to do this?

I want to live in the medical district so that i am about 10-20 minutes walking distance from the school. I plan on having just one roommate in a 2 bedroom place.

casanova???? go to NY...
haha real funny..."casanova70" is a song from my favorite band, which happens to be the best group of all time, AIR. If I end up going to UIC, you guys better learn to like AIR, cause it's gonna be shoved down your throats.

Regarding tuition costs, let me show you what I've seen at the UIC website (this is solely for tuition, not cost-of-living)...
UIC
Resident: $9,940/semester = $19,880/year
Non-Resident: $23,005 = $46,010/year
(found at http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/rr/academic02_03.shtml#med1)

I remember someone saying at the financial aid meeting during the interview day that if you get financial aid and are able to show that, for a full year, you did not receive ANY outside money (i.e. from your folks/family), you could actually be established as an Illinois resident, meaning you would pay resident tuition for the following year...does anyone else remember this?

During my student interview at UIC, I asked the guys what was their biggest complaint about the school, and they said the lack of organization in the administration...that it was tough to get straight answers, and paperwork was often lost, etc.

What are your opinions about the hospitals affiliated with UIC?
What about research opportunities? UIC is a great research facility...
Is anyone here planning to get involved with the Hispanic Center of Excellence? What about that sweet Medical Spanish course that they offer?
Notice I'm not even close to making a decision about where to go...!

But regardless, I think it would be cool if everyone in this thread got together in Chicago a few nights before school starts for a night of heavy drinking...I mean, I'm not going to know a soul, and it'd be great to see if you mid-westerners can put 'em away like us southern boys...Luckily we'll even have a few akward moments the first day of class when we see each other again and think about all the stupid crap we said/did!

casanova70 said:
haha real funny..."casanova70" is a song from my favorite band, which happens to be the best group of all time, AIR. If I end up going to UIC, you guys better learn to like AIR, cause it's gonna be shoved down your throats.

Regarding tuition costs, let me show you what I've seen at the UIC website (this is solely for tuition, not cost-of-living)...
UIC
Resident: $9,940/semester = $19,880/year
Non-Resident: $23,005 = $46,010/year
(found at http://www.uic.edu/depts/oar/rr/academic02_03.shtml#med1)

I remember someone saying at the financial aid meeting during the interview day that if you get financial aid and are able to show that, for a full year, you did not receive ANY outside money (i.e. from your folks/family), you could actually be established as an Illinois resident, meaning you would pay resident tuition for the following year...does anyone else remember this?

During my student interview at UIC, I asked the guys what was their biggest complaint about the school, and they said the lack of organization in the administration...that it was tough to get straight answers, and paperwork was often lost, etc.

What are your opinions about the hospitals affiliated with UIC?
What about research opportunities? UIC is a great research facility...
Is anyone here planning to get involved with the Hispanic Center of Excellence? What about that sweet Medical Spanish course that they offer?
Notice I'm not even close to making a decision about where to go...!

But regardless, I think it would be cool if everyone in this thread got together in Chicago a few nights before school starts for a night of heavy drinking...I mean, I'm not going to know a soul, and it'd be great to see if you mid-westerners can put 'em away like us southern boys...Luckily we'll even have a few akward moments the first day of class when we see each other again and think about all the stupid crap we said/did!

First question- How are you not even close on a "decision"? It's May 17th!!!!
Second question- your previous posts make it seem like you'd much rather prefer going to NY... so why all the enthusiasm about UIC?

I'm just curious..

I'm "not even close" cause i received acceptance from NYMC on friday, and in the email they said they're sending me a post letter, so I figure I can wait to receive it before responding, i.e. a day or two from now.
And no, I'd not much rather prefer going to NYMC, that's why I'm asking you guys for your opinion, because I'm honestly stuck, and I was wondering if anyone was in the same situation...
And yeah I'm enthused about UIC, you guys seem like nice people, and Chicago is great. UIC was my number 1 choice until my interview at NYMC confused me...
sorry if i'm sounding pompous, i don't mean it like that.

casanova70 said:
I'm "not even close" cause i received acceptance from NYMC on friday, and in the email they said they're sending me a post letter, so I figure I can wait to receive it before responding, i.e. a day or two from now.
And no, I'd not much rather prefer going to NYMC, that's why I'm asking you guys for your opinion, because I'm honestly stuck, and I was wondering if anyone was in the same situation...
And yeah I'm enthused about UIC, you guys seem like nice people, and Chicago is great. UIC was my number 1 choice until my interview at NYMC confused me...
sorry if i'm sounding pompous, i don't mean it like that.

To respond your previous questions. Yes, UIC admin is sloppy. I love the people but do they need organization skills. So that means we are going to have a need for personal assistants (im thinking of asking my mom :laugh: :laugh: )

Yes You can be an IL resident after 1 year. What you could do is arrive early (say June), find a job (an easy lame one) that will be willing to state for you that you were required to move into the state. You could get automatic Illinois resident status like that. Contact some admin people and ask about this. I know other State Univs. allow you to do this.

As for NYC vs. Chicago, here are my experiences: If you dont live in the City, then you dont really experience it. Since your not going to be in NYC, how likely are you going to be in the city?? Are u going to have a car?? What about insurance?? What about parking?? Can u take public trans into the city??

I'm taking it that both Schools are equal in your eyes. You're looking now at the "extras" to see if that makes a difference.

However, the best (and fastest) way to settle this is to flip a coin. Make it a best of 5 (or 7). Then your true feelings will come out.

So tell us your final decision when u find out

peace

casanova70 said:

Bro, I dont drink and I dont like going to bars.
I dont know who else here is a drinker, but I've been there, done that.

This may affect your decision of coming to UIC. :D

nimer1456 said:
How do we register with UIC? I know to get our netID we need our UIN but I dont know where to get that. Can we call or email someone to do this?

I want to live in the medical district so that i am about 10-20 minutes walking distance from the school. I plan on having just one roommate in a 2 bedroom place.

The UIN will come out with the "Welcome Packet". But you can always call them and harass them to give it to you.

I also want to live very close. Say 5-10 minutes away. I dont need a large place, a small place will do ok. 2-3 roomates are cool with me. I dont want cable and really I dont want high-speed internet access. Both will be a distraction to me :laugh:

aragonh said:
Bro, I dont drink and I dont like going to bars.
I dont know who else here is a drinker, but I've been there, done that.

This may affect your decision of coming to UIC. :D

Well I drink... I have cut back a lot in the past year but still enjoy a night which results in my liver being angry with me. A few of the people I know going to UIC share this quality so you will have people to drink with if you decide on Chicago. :)

aragonh said:
The UIN will come out with the "Welcome Packet". But you can always call them and harass them to give it to you.

I also want to live very close. Say 5-10 minutes away. I dont need a large place, a small place will do ok. 2-3 roomates are cool with me. I dont want cable and really I dont want high-speed internet access. Both will be a distraction to me :laugh:

I need high speed internet... I have an obsession with checking email and the like. Cable I can live without...

I emailed Girotti and he said the same thing... so now we just wait :)

What is the Alumni & Friends of Med School Scholarship? Also, UIC does not give out merit based scholarships, only need based.

tesla123 said:
What is the Alumni & Friends of Med School Scholarship? Also, UIC does not give out merit based scholarships, only need based.

Well they give out some type of merit scholarship, read Casanovas posts. he got something

aragonh said:
Well they give out some type of merit scholarship, read Casanovas posts. he got something

Thanks for the reply, if you read another poster's response, they were correct in saying that cassanova's "scholarship" is a recruiting tool. I called the fin aid office and they said that they do not offer ANY merit based scholarships, only need. Good luck :thumbup:

Can somebody pretty please share Dean Girotti's email address?

redruby said:
Can somebody pretty please share Dean Girotti's email address?

I PMed it to you... not going to post it here. You guys can do a search on the UIC webpage to find contact info for UIC people :)

tesla123 said:
Thanks for the reply, if you read another poster's response, they were correct in saying that cassanova's "scholarship" is a recruiting tool. I called the fin aid office and they said that they do not offer ANY merit based scholarships, only need. Good luck :thumbup:

Well the scholarship is from the office of COllege of Medicine, not the Fin Aid office. So its some type of merit scholarship. Casa must have been a good candidate in some manner in order for him to have gotten it.

First I want to thank all of you guys for your help, I feel like I'm crowding this thread and sounding like a butt-orifice, but I'm really a normal guy.

Actually, I kind of like that I wouldn't be IN nyc for the first 2 years, cause that gives me a chance to have the best of both worlds: the city 25 mins away, and the school campus being very quiet and mellow.
Yeah I'll have a car regardless of where I go, and public transport., in both places, is excellent, and would allow me to get into NY without taking my car. I have a few great friends there that have donated their couch to my body many many times.

And weighing the "extras," NY clearly wins out in my eyes. But I'm trying to snap out of that and weigh the cores of the schools, and see which one is better academically, which will provide me better clerkships and rotations, and which one, upon finishing school, will have provided me with better opportunities to get into whatever program I want. Know what I mean?
My parents are starting to freak out on me, they want a decision NOW, and I kind of do too.
CURSE THIS STAGGERING INTELECT AND UNBELIEVABLE PEOPLE-SKILLS!
;)

aragonh said:
Well the scholarship is from the office of COllege of Medicine, not the Fin Aid office. So its some type of merit scholarship. Casa must have been a good candidate in some manner in order for him to have gotten it.

Hate to sound like a broken record here, but this board gets quite competitive at times. From the mouth of Mark Urosev, "The 5,000 scholarship that some students receive is given by review of the committee. If they feel that these students may need an extra amount for relocation purposes, etc. they will grant it. This year they offered 40 to students who demonstrated need."

No offense cas, I am sure you are a great applicant, like the rest of us, I just want to clarify. :thumbup:

i'm telling you, flip a coin. I'll do it for you.

Heads NYC and Tails Chicago.

Best of 7 would be good.

I should go find my lucky coin . . . . hope i didnt spend it already

tesla123 said:
Hate to sound like a broken record here, but this board gets quite competitive at times. From the mouth of Mark Urosev, "The 5,000 scholarship that some students receive is given by review of the committee. If they feel that these students may need an extra amount for relocation purposes, etc. they will grant it. This year they offered 40 to students who demonstrated need."

No offense cas, I am sure you are a great applicant, like the rest of us, I just want to clarify. :thumbup:

Im not sure where this scholarship talk is headed.

But it is not based on aid. There would have to be coordination between Fin Aid office and Committee for that to be the case. (and Lord knows that these 2 offices just dont talk to each other).

I think Caz award said something like this:

"In offering this scholarship, the Committee believes that you will make a positive contribution to the educational process at the College, to the entire medical profession and to the patients you serve. On behalf of the Committee, we congratulate you on the achievements that have resulted in this award."

12,000 for relocation?? Yeah right . . . .

As for residency after a year---i believe the official school policy is that you are only an Illinois resident for tuition purposes if you have lived in illinois for a full calender year without going to school full-time at any point during that year.

I think they're fairly firm about that, and i'm not sure it's even the medical school's decision to make. I.e. It is a university-wide policy, and if you petition for a change of residency status, you don't go through the medical school to do so, but through the regular university administration.

I think Caz award said something like this:

"In offering this scholarship, the Committee believes that you will make a positive contribution to the educational process at the College, to the entire medical profession and to the patients you serve. On behalf of the Committee, we congratulate you on the achievements that have resulted in this award."

That's almost word for word what it said.
Um, to be honest, I don't think it was a merit-based scholarship...my "qualifications" really are not that good at all, and I'll be the first to admit it. I'm surprised they even let me in the damn school.

aragonh, sorry to hear about your drinking "problem," I totally understand. But where you say "been there, done that," I say "I did what?? WHERE??"

seldomseen said:
As for residency after a year---i believe the official school policy is that you are only an Illinois resident for tuition purposes if you have lived in illinois for a full calender year without going to school full-time at any point during that year.

I think they're fairly firm about that, and i'm not sure it's even the medical school's decision to make. I.e. It is a university-wide policy, and if you petition for a change of residency status, you don't go through the medical school to do so, but through the regular university administration.

You're absolutely right.
I just called the school, and they said we had to be in Illinois for a full year for "non-educational purposes."
But man, I TOTALLY remember someone in the financial aid department, during the presentation, saying that if we were able to live within the budget the first year and show that we didn't receive ANY outside funds, it would allow us to be established as Illinois residents.
Does anyone else remember hearing this? Or am I getting confused with my U. of Cincinatti interview???

seldomseen said:

I have the same impression. Casanova, its not worth paying all that. Go to NY and enjoy!

Hey Caz

If u choose NY, trade your chicago spot to someone else. Dont know if that is totally possible.

Hi everyone,

It's been so long since I've posted! But I wanted to let everyone know that I received a call from the admissions office today letting me know that my request for site change has been granted for Chicago - the committee already met yesterday and started moving people. I was originally assigned to Rockford, but I had family reasons and it seems that this was a major reason why my request was granted. The admissions office also told me to disregard any materials that I received from Urbana and that I would be getting materials for Chicago within the next week or so when everyone's stuff gets mailed out.

As for the scholarship situation, I received a $1000.00 Friends & Alumni and had no idea why, but I'm not complaining, haha - I think that this is independent of what campus you were assigned to.

Anyway, good luck to those who are waiting for a site change! There is hope :)

I've mentioned before that I have a friend at UIC who's an M3. He forwarded me an email a few weeks back saying that UIC had received an unprecedented amount of acceptances this year, something along the lines of 600+, for the 300 or so available spots. This was pre-May 15th, so I don't know how much that number has changed. The email went on to say that they were considering offering monetary compensation to students who chose to defer beginning school until next year. So I doubt, even if I wanted to, that I could trade my spot if I decide not to go.
Although, if you think about it, deferring may not be that bad for some. If you're a non-Illinois resident, you could move there a year ahead of time and establish residency, bumping your tuition down from $46K to less than $20 when school began. That means you could go to med school for less than $100K!!!! :love:

aragonh said:
Hey Caz

If u choose NY, trade your chicago spot to someone else. Dont know if that is totally possible.

I've mentioned before that I have a friend at UIC who's an M3. He forwarded me an email a few weeks back saying that UIC had received an unprecedented amount of acceptances this year, something along the lines of 600+, for the 300 or so available spots. This was pre-May 15th, so I don't know how much that number has changed. The email went on to say that they were considering offering monetary compensation to students who chose to defer beginning school until next year. So I doubt, even if I wanted to, that I could trade my spot if I decide not to go.
Although, if you think about it, deferring may not be that bad for some. If you're a non-Illinois resident, you could move there a year ahead of time and establish residency, bumping your tuition down from $46K to less than $20 when school began. That means you could go to med school for less than $100K!!!! :love:

oops!!! sorry for the double post! these confounded adding machines and this "world-wide-intranet" confuse me.

casanova70 said:

Um, not exactly. Even if you get room and board for free (by studying under the cover of a cardboard box and begging for money by the I-94/290 interchange), you'd still be paying around 120K in tuition and fees.... as an IL resident!!

Um, not exactly. Even if you get room and board for free (by studying under the cover of a cardboard box and begging for money by the I-94/290 interchange), you'd still be paying around 120K in tuition and fees.... as an IL resident!!

haha yea you're right

sga814 said:

i have to say that your depiction of free room and board here, not only Rocks, but it also represents my possible lifestyle if my Friggin employer doesn't give me an extra copy of my W2 to give to Financial Aid.

So Caz, have you decided??

Well, after much consideration, I've decided to accept NYMC's offer.
However, I'm holding my spot at UIC until the very last moment just in case, cause every time I think I've made my mind up, I switch.
But I'm leaning strongly towards NYMC, like 95% to 5%. Tuition was a HUGE factor after sitting down and calculating what I would owe (the difference was close to 60K or something, and, after interest, it would be bumped up to like 80K....That's a new Mercedes I could buy instead!)
You guys have been awesome, I wish all of you could go to UIC instead.
Thanks for the help aragonh, you've been super cool! If anyone cares, I'll post one more reply here when everything is said and done.

Good luck ya'll!!!!!!!

casanova70 said:
However, I'm holding my spot at UIC until the very last moment just in case, cause every time I think I've made my mind up, I switch.

Good luck ya'll!!!!!!!

Well, I dont think its cool to hold onto it this late in the game. Think of those wait-listed people and how they are hoping and praying for admittance.

Good Luck to u in NY!!!

aragonh said:
Well, I dont think its cool to hold onto it this late in the game. Think of those wait-listed people and how they are hoping and praying for admittance.

Good Luck to u in NY!!!

I agree... let it go and let someone else in. good karma or some **** like that :)

I don't think it will make a difference. It seems that the admissions staff gave out more acceptances again or less people (percent wise) are declining UIC offer.. So there shouldn't be much movement in waitlist unless lot of people withdraw last minute. Last year, they had 307 people for 296-300 some seats. seems like same thing happened this year.. more the merrier, I guess!