UIC College of Medicine Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
willowdesi said:
i have to say that your depiction of free room and board here, not only Rocks, but it also represents my possible lifestyle if my Friggin employer doesn't give me an extra copy of my W2 to give to Financial Aid.

I am looking foward to next four years of poverty :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh I know, what I mean by "holding onto it" is like until friday, no later. I got my official letter today and I'm overnighting it to NYMC. And I don't think that they'll give my spot to anyone at UIC; if you read one of my earlier posts, they are actually thinking about asking people to defer for a year cause it's so full, but regardless, I'm just gonna get in 100% into NYMC before I give up my UIC spot, if something falls through, I don't want to get stuck not going anywhere, I'm sure you guys understand.

Illuminatus said:
I don't think it will make a difference. It seems that the admissions staff gave out more acceptances again or less people (percent wise) are declining UIC offer.. So there shouldn't be much movement in waitlist unless lot of people withdraw last minute. Last year, they had 307 people for 296-300 some seats. seems like same thing happened this year.. more the merrier, I guess!

I'm under the same impression.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I wrote to Dr. Girotti to withdraw my acceptance, and explained to him that the out-of-state tuition was just too much...he wrote me back and said that they would WAIVE the costs, allowing me to pay in-state! Huh? Can they do that? I asked him how, and he hasn't written back, so we'll see, but that would bring potential tuition costs down from 46K a year to less than 20K...Wow, can I turn something like that down?

casanova70 said:
Man, I wrote to Dr. Girotti to withdraw my acceptance, and explained to him that the out-of-state tuition was just too much...he wrote me back and said that they would WAIVE the costs, allowing me to pay in-state! Huh? Can they do that? I asked him how, and he hasn't written back, so we'll see, but that would bring potential tuition costs down from 46K a year to less than 20K...Wow, can I turn something like that down?

I'm sure it's within his power to do that. I know of someone who got accepted w/o an interview, even when they sent in the application in february (past the deadline). I know it's not fair, but things like these happen.

hehe, they must really like you. :)

But now you're back to square one about making your decision. Come to Chicago man, you'll like it here.

casanova70 said:
I'm under the same impression.

Hey Casanova70,
Someone with the same user name and I were bidding on the same product. Did you bid on a Motorola V70 on ebay last wk?
Congrats by the way. I just PMed you. Good luck.

bloHaZaRd said:
I'm sure it's within his power to do that. I know of someone who got accepted w/o an interview, even when they sent in the application in february (past the deadline). I know it's not fair, but things like these happen.

hehe, they must really like you. :)

But now you're back to square one about making your decision. Come to Chicago man, you'll like it here.

Yes... come to Chicago; good times will be had when we are not studying.. whenever that may be :)

DoctorG said:
Hey Casanova70,
Someone with the same user name and I were bidding on the same product. Did you bid on a Motorola V70 on ebay last wk?
Congrats by the way. I just PMed you. Good luck.
haha really? same name? its the name of a song by a band called AIR, and, as you can probably tell by my icon, it's my favorite band.

Sorry my man, t'wasn't me.

casanova70 said:

Caz,

B4 u do commit to one or another, get it down in writing (or at least email). U could b really screwed by 1 school or the other on tuition matters.

Also, call up the NY medical school. Inform them that their tuition sucks and if they can do anything to match or beat UICs offer.

its time to play Hardball!!!

aragonh said:
Caz,

B4 u do commit to one or another, get it down in writing (or at least email). U could b really screwed by 1 school or the other on tuition matters.

Also, call up the NY medical school. Inform them that their tuition sucks and if they can do anything to match or beat UICs offer.

haha way ahead of you aragonh; I've already put my deposit at Chicago so I have a spot there for sure, and I wrote to NYMC asking if they could match Chicago's offer! Check out the balls on Caz! I'm sure they're gonna tell me to f-off, but hey, doesn't hurt to try, right?

aragonh said:
Caz,

haha way ahead of you aragonh; I've already put my deposit at Chicago so I have a spot there for sure, and I wrote to NYMC asking if they could match Chicago's offer! Check out the balls on Caz! I'm sure they're gonna tell me to f-off, but hey, doesn't hurt to try, right?
And I'm not sending in my deposit to NYMC cause I want to see what they say first.

DAMN DOUBLE POSTS!!! I guess I'm not as quick to click the "stop" button as I think I am.

casanova70 said:
DAMN DOUBLE POSTS!!! I guess I'm not as quick to click the "stop" button as I think I am.

Stop doing that!! ;) I think that there are all these fun new posts to read but I am fooled

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump...

Hey- have a question for y'all- who is currently on the Rush or Loyola waitlists? And if you get in to one of those, will you still go to UIC? Why/why not? (I'm on the Rush waitlist, but will still probably go to UIC cause it has similar residency placement, it is cheaper, and is on the semester system- my undergrad, NU, was on the quarter system, and I hated it.)

so what's going on with housing?

For those planning to live at SSR, there is a web board where they can decide on roommates.
http://www.housing.uic.edu/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi
(Click on West Campus)

Those planning to live in apts can may be post info about the Name of Apts/Rent/Location/No. of Roommates/Other lifestyle preferences/Gender preferences... on this thread, and we can make our own mailing list :cool: .

sga814 said:
Bump...

Hey- have a question for y'all- who is currently on the Rush or Loyola waitlists? And if you get in to one of those, will you still go to UIC? Why/why not? (I'm on the Rush waitlist, but will still probably go to UIC cause it has similar residency placement, it is cheaper, and is on the semester system- my undergrad, NU, was on the quarter system, and I hated it.)

i chose uic over both rush and loyola. i have a bunch of friends at all schools and contrary to what others have said, the uic students really like the school, education etc. they caution me that you have to be more independent and take more initiative at uic, but that is not a problem for me. in terms of reputation, i think they all are similar in the midwest but outside of the area, i think uic is better known than the others. the match list for uic this year was pretty damn good. im highly interested in basic science research and academic medicine, and i think uic is far better than rush/loyola for those areas. uic has more affiliated hospitals and one could argue a slightly stronger third/fourth year experience because of this and the fact uic is public (less restrictions on doing procedures, being independent in the hospital because they are generally short-staffed). in short, you cant go wrong with any of the schools, but for me, uic was the clear winner.

I made a different thread but people told me I might have better luck over here. For people who got in UIC What were your gpa and mcat and did you think you were in the upper end, middle or the lower end of your class in terms of stats.

You can PM me if you prefer.

hey guys,
i'm on the urbana-peoria track, but i still haven't done a thing for housing, and i have not gotten $$ info yet... was there something for housing that i missed? i would HATE to be stuck in a Daniels double or something...

thanks!

JuicyDay said:
hey guys,
i'm on the urbana-peoria track, but i still haven't done a thing for housing, and i have not gotten $$ info yet... was there something for housing that i missed? i would HATE to be stuck in a Daniels double or something...

thanks!

The Urbana admins already sent out their "Welcome Packets" already (in a big vanila envelope). The packet contains contact info on the Urbana deans. Contact them to find out more about your $$ as well as housing stuff info.

aragonh said:
Whos on the list so far?

i checked it out for messages and there are none. Anyone from Chicago on the listserver??

Also, is this for the Chicago Track or the Urbana+ tracks??

I just joined the group... people adding slowly I would imagine

Hey ladies and germs,

Hot damn, looks like I'll be joining you guys at Chicago in the fall. Everything was said and done and UIC was a clear winner in my decision.
I cannot wait for school to start, I wish it was tomorrow!
When are you guys planning to go to Chicago (for out-of-towners like me) to get an apt.? My friend at UIC said that it wouldn't be good to go till like July, but I'm itchin and want to go ASAP. Anyone actually got a place yet??

casanova70 said:
Hey ladies and germs,

Hot damn, looks like I'll be joining you guys at Chicago in the fall. Everything was said and done and UIC was a clear winner in my decision.
When are you guys planning to go to Chicago (for out-of-towners like me) to get an apt.? My friend at UIC said that it wouldn't be good to go till like July, but I'm itchin and want to go ASAP. Anyone actually got a place yet??

Well that is exciting. I am moving up to Chicago likely August 2. i wanted to move a little earlier but things didnt work out. I am going to be living in the West Loop downtown. I know of a few others living out there. several people are also living near the school.

casanova70 said:

Ohhhhh, you are SO going to wish you had not said that after the first month, er, day of classes.

casanova70 said:
Hey ladies and germs,

So what finally made u to pick UIC???

It must have been something else besides the money.

Im going to b there in 2 weeks to check out places and stuff. Not planning to move in until late July/ early august.

Hey future chitown m1s,

if you are still looking for an off campus housing i suggest looking at the 'harris brothers.' they have tons of sweet places in little italy, which will put you about 2-4 blocks directly EAST of campus. i just signed a lease with them for a 3 bedroom. they have tons of 1,2,3 bedrooms. plus these places are renovated and nice. DONT LIVE IN CAMPUS HOUSING!! living in campus housing is like 700$ a month. versus getting a place in little italy (1200 for a 2 bedroom or 1800 for a 3 bedroom).

just give these guys a call, 2 m2 students at rush told me about them. the harris brothers can send you out a huge list of all their apartments. DO NOT LIVE WEST OF CAMPUS!!

take it easy

Harris Brothers
914 S. Loomis St
312-226-9750

I got accepted to UIC too. But I'm going to Urbana for my first year. Does anyone have any housing suggestions?

Ohhhhh, you are SO going to wish you had not said that after the first month, er, day of classes.
I know right? But it's just this "limbo" that I don't like...and if it's something we are going to HAVE to do, I wish I could start now instead of later...know what I mean?

So what finally made u to pick UIC???

It was a lot of things, with money playing a huge role...regardless, even though I LOVE NY, I think Chicago is where I'm supposed to be.

I've seen people on other threads talking about some online place called Friendster...anyone on it/heard of it? Should we join it? I've read you can post pics and stuff...

casanova70 said:
I know right? But it's just this "limbo" that I don't like...and if it's something we are going to HAVE to do, I wish I could start now instead of later...know what I mean?

yeah, but I'd rather be in limbo for a couple more months than be in class for those few months.

Does anyone know if we are supposed to bring family to the white coat ceremony? I have no idea what to expect! Any advice would be appreciated.

bugger said:
Does anyone know if we are supposed to bring family to the white coat ceremony? I have no idea what to expect! Any advice would be appreciated.

You can invite 2-3 people to the ceremony. It is a big deal for most parents... I am going to invite mine. It is just another chance for them to bask in their children's success :oops:

I went to UIC for undergrad too, please feel free to PM me or email me off of the address available in our yahoo group. I posted the thing about as many of us as possible getting together August 7th in front of the CoM building at 6:30 to go to Navy Pier or something cool. I'm going to be near Chicago the whole summer, so if anyone wants someone to show em around or something, totally let me know. Also, I'm living in the on-campus housing in TBH (it's farther from the med school, but the housing is sweet.)

Also, does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

atasin said:
I got accepted to UIC too. But I'm going to Urbana for my first year. Does anyone have any housing suggestions?

I was originally assigned to Urbana so I actually visited the campus and found out that there is an organization there called "Campus Property Management" -they have a ton of properties and if you visit them, they'll schedule showings for you. Most people had suggested for medical students to live in the Urbana area, not the Champaign area, because Champaign is where all the frat houses are and Urbana tends to be quieter. Housing in Champaign/Urbana is super-cheap, but it goes really fast so they suggested that I get a place ASAP.

Yo, do not do CPM in urbana. They have a lotta apts but they dont have enough people to maintain it. If things break down, they are VERY slow .... DONT DO CPM!!! JSM or bankier are better, and bettter apts too. good lukc.

blingblah said:
Yo, do not do CPM in urbana. They have a lotta apts but they dont have enough people to maintain it. If things break down, they are VERY slow .... DONT DO CPM!!! JSM or bankier are better, and bettter apts too. good lukc.

I agree... DO NOT SIGN WITH CPM! You will greatly regret it. I like Hunsinger. They have nice places not on campus but still close. I grew up in urbana so if you want, PM with places that you are looking at and I will let you know about the neighborhood. Good luck :luck:

bugger said:

Im also going to bring in my parents. They may be proud, or they may be bored.

However, Im definitely bringing my siblings. They will certainly enjoy it. Now how to sneak all 3 of them in. . . . .

Hey all,

How good is UIC as a medical school? Mid-level? Higher? Lower?

seldomseen said:
Hey all,

How good is UIC as a medical school? Mid-level? Higher? Lower?

Ranked about 61ish in US NEWS and about the same for NIH grants. Given that there are 120-some med schools, I'd say it's "mid-level". In either case, rankings are useless and shouldn't be the main criterion you use for attending a school.

Bump me to the allopathic forum, pretty please.

Hi I'm new to the posts. I was admitted to UIC out-of-state and was assigned to Urbana-Rockford. I put in a request to be transferred to Chicago. Should I expect a call from the admissions commitee if my request was granted? How long did it take others to hear back after a letter submission? It's been about a week and a half since I submitted a personal letter along with a rec letter from a researcher I work with in my home state. Thanks for any advice. Hopefully I'll meet you guys in Chicago! :)

Chicago ppl, I love u and hope to be joining you, but where are my UPR ppl at? I'd love to hear about my future classmates and get a similar discussion going on among us! :)

I'm going to be at Urbana-Rockford, assuming my site request change to Chicago isn't granted, which at this point seems very likely. I just signed a lease for an apartment in Champaign. Know what sucks? I think the rest of UIUC starts on 8/23, while orientation starts for us on 8/17. So my lease starts on 8/18. Most of the apartments I looked at have leases that start around then. Blows.

RedRuby, Can I ask what you submitted for your site change request? Did you just submit one personal letter or did you include some sort of support letter by a prof or doc? I talked to a lady in admissions the other day and she said that this relocation process goes til July 31st. So we both have some waiting to do.... :)

See, this is what I hate about UIC's administration. Once I called and was told that site changes would likely be done by the end of May to early June. Then someone else I spoke to at the office said they would go until July. And I've heard of people on SDN who had site changes just days before classes started. Anyway. Who knows?

Does anybody know what happens with health insurance? Do we have the option of buying it from the school? If we want to continue to be covered by our parents, how does that work? I haven't gotten any info on it.

Salsero said:
Hi I'm new to the posts. I was admitted to UIC out-of-state and was assigned to Urbana-Rockford. I put in a request to be transferred to Chicago. Should I expect a call from the admissions commitee if my request was granted? How long did it take others to hear back after a letter submission? It's been about a week and a half since I submitted a personal letter along with a rec letter from a researcher I work with in my home state. Thanks for any advice. Hopefully I'll meet you guys in Chicago! :)

When did you find out about your UPR track??

Honestly, they started switching people into the Chicago track ever since May 15. And I know a whole bunch of people wanted to switch in.

Im not sure if they filled in all the spots already, but most likely, the only way you can switch is if someone announces that they got off another waitlist and thus opened up a Chicago spot.

But good luck!

aragonh said:
When did you find out about your UPR track??

Honestly, they started switching people into the Chicago track ever since May 15. And I know a whole bunch of people wanted to switch in.

Im not sure if they filled in all the spots already, but most likely, the only way you can switch is if someone announces that they got off another waitlist and thus opened up a Chicago spot.

But good luck!
Well I found out about a week or so after I sent in my site request on 3/17. The people at Urbana-Champaign even sent me a "Welcome" packet a few weeks later where they listed important dates in their curriculum as well as student housing options. I called admissions on May 13 and that's when I found out about the possibility of still switching to Chicago. You're right though, I would have to wait until someone with a Chicago spot decides to go elsewhere. I'm hopeful though. I sent in a letter and two support letters, one being from a researcher at UIC. If that isn't enough, well then DAMN....