UIC College of Medicine Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh, I just got assigned to Rockford.

Members don't see this ad.

I was assigned to Urbana-Rockford as well. I figure that some of you on this board are born-and-raised Chicagoans just like me so maybe we can learn to live the "small-town life" together. Of course I mean no offense to Rockford which I understand is a small city, NOT a small town (I have been corrected on this fact a number of times by Rockford natives).

Hey, don't forget, things could be worse. We could have been rejected by UIC altogether.

i got peoria.

and i had sent in a letter stating academic medicine was the reason i should go to chicago. i called all of last week, and apparently they still had not gotten the letter. (even though i sent it the day i knew a final decision was made, the 22nd.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I attached my letter to the site pref card with a paperclip, personally handed it to the secretary, and watched while she read it. And it made no difference.

I wish that UIC had people apply to the tracks separately. This system sucks.

Anybody know if Peoria or Rockford have amenities like a gym, a cafeteria, etc?

JuicyDay said:
i got peoria.

and i had sent in a letter stating academic medicine was the reason i should go to chicago. i called all of last week, and apparently they still had not gotten the letter. (even though i sent it the day i knew a final decision was made, the 22nd.)

are you a Feb acceptee or you got accepted earlier in Jan?

redruby said:
Anybody know if Peoria or Rockford have amenities like a gym, a cafeteria, etc?

Rockford has a cafeteria that serves breakfast and lunch, but no Gym. From what I remember in my interview, however, you can get a really good deal at the YMCA. Also, the rentals around there are ridiculously cheap.

I don't know anything about Peoria. Best bet would be to check the website.

IllinoisStudent said:
are you a Feb acceptee or you got accepted earlier in Jan?

i interviewed on jan 19, but was accepted in february b/c i just missed the jan adcom meeting.

JuicyDay said:
i interviewed on jan 19, but was accepted in february b/c i just missed the jan adcom meeting.

you heard back pretty fast. they took a month before they replied back to me.

yep... ymca is ridiculously cheap... and freaking awesome; i never have more than a 5 minute wait for machines, and it's right on the river so running outside during good weather has nice scenery. it's also a well-run and relatively new facility (~5yrs or so).

rentals = cheap.

cafeteria = so-so, but lecture's done by 12 every day during m2 year, so go home. during m3, just eat in hospital (pretty good food).

plus - housing allowance is factored on the cost of living in CHICAGO. soooo... you can get a very nice place to live (my apt = 1500sqft + hardwood + off-street parking = 600);plus, no crazy kennedy/edens/ike traffic in the morning.

-t

sga814 said:
Rockford has a cafeteria that serves breakfast and lunch, but no Gym. From what I remember in my interview, however, you can get a really good deal at the YMCA. Also, the rentals around there are ridiculously cheap.

I don't know anything about Peoria. Best bet would be to check the website.

Are any of the housing links working for anyone :confused: ?

I cannot access any page starting w/ www.housing.uic.edu

**Edit: Seems like they fixed the link.**

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I was bored for a few minutes and decided to spend my time comparing the 2005 US News rankings of 4 Chicago schools (UIC, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind) most of us probably applied to. Although the AAMC says the rankings are BS, here's what I found: Rush and Rosalind are unranked because they refused to give US News their info. UIC is ranked #61 in research and Loyola is ranked #65. I'll assume that because admission standards are similar for Rush and Rosalind, they should also be within the same range.

Just some food for thought.

sga814 said:
So, I was bored for a few minutes and decided to spend my time comparing the 2005 US News rankings of 4 Chicago schools (UIC, Rush, Loyola, Rosalind) most of us probably applied to. Although the AAMC says the rankings are BS, here's what I found: Rush and Rosalind are unranked because they refused to give US News their info. UIC is ranked #61 in research and Loyola is ranked #65. I'll assume that because admission standards are similar for Rush and Rosalind, they should also be within the same range.

Just some food for thought.

If you look at NIH funding rankings liked from the AAMC website (http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/medttl03.htm), the ranks for the Chicago schools are:

25. UChicago
38. NU
47. UIC
86. Loyola
108. Rosalind Franklin

chitown82 said:
If you look at NIH funding rankings liked from the AAMC website (http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/medttl03.htm), the ranks for the Chicago schools are:

25. UChicago
38. NU
47. UIC
86. Loyola
108. Rosalind Franklin

I think the US News rankings take more into account than just research- hence the different rankings. Any idea where Rush is on that list, btw?

sga814 said:
I think the US News rankings take more into account than just research- hence the different rankings. Any idea where Rush is on that list, btw?

hey there,

for some reason, rush wasn't on that list...i couldn't find them. does this mean they dont get funding from the nih? that seems unlikely...anyone else have info?

chitown82 said:
hey there,

for some reason, rush wasn't on that list...i couldn't find them. does this mean they dont get funding from the nih? that seems unlikely...anyone else have info?

they definitely get funding from the NIH; a lab i've worked for has collaborated with Rush on an NIH-funded study. i think they try to stay away from turning in any kind of rankings lists. maybe they don't want to be classified as any specific kind of school (like a "research school" or a "clinical school").

I found this link on SDN.
http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/march04/ratingtherankings.htm

You can't just look at NIH funding alone. Look at Harvard. It is below U of C, but it has lot of private funding (ever wonder why?). So the school's total research funding is not just NIH funding.

UIC and U of C both are into basic sciences research, and don't get lot of private funding (bad alumni relations? or private donations don't get u accepted?). NU gets lot of funding from its alumni, and it is more into clinical research. Loyola and Rush are not that big on research but both get NIH funding. I wouldn't expect them to be on US news research ranking list, or they might be ranked very low because of less funding. It doesn't mean that they are bad schools. Both schools give good education.

Good news for UIC M1s: New building (supposedly built exclusively for research) might bring in more talented faculty, and thus more research dollars.

Good new for NU M1s: NU is getting a new hospital. Since the hospital will be owned by NU, all the research funding that hospital will get will be part of NU Medical School research funding.

chitown82 said:
hey there,

Rush didn't respond to the US N&WR survey.

PBMaxx said:
Rush didn't respond to the US N&WR survey.

hmm, i think the link i posed was from the nih website which is different from the us news survey...i could be wrong though..

chitown82 said:
hmm, i think the link i posed was from the nih website which is different from the us news survey...i could be wrong though..

Ahhh yes, my previous post does not answer the question. Whoops! You were referring to NIH grants, etc.
Hmmm.... I dunno. I know that Rush is unabashedly clinically-focused, but they still participate in research. They did just change their name (from Rush-Presbyterian St. Lukes to Rush University Medical Center), and went on a major business development/capital generation campaign, but Rosalind Franklin just did much the same thing (i.e. they used to be Finch/CMS).

For those who care, this is a response to an e-mail I sent to a current M1...
---
hey---sorry to be delayed in responding (as i recall you wrote during our exams and then we had spring break). i'm more than happy to try to address some of your questions....
regarding housing: most people (so far as i'm aware) live off campus. that may have a lot to do with the fact that a significant number of my classmates have been out of school for at least a year and so are uninclined to go back to living in a dorm. that said, plenty of folks do live in campus housing. it's tremendously convenient--stumble out the dorm building and across the street and you're at school.
i've been out of school for multiple years and haven't had any difficulty meeting classmates even though i live off campus--after all you're with your classmates all day long! (that is if you like going to class)
i've never been in one of the dorm rooms so i really can't tell you what they're like--i hear they're pretty decent tho. as i mentioned in my post, i rent from new west realty--i had absolutely no problem finding a spacious apartment that is only about ten minutes from campus. i personally wouldn't want to feel as though i lived at school (i.e. living across the street in the dorm)--i spend enough time there as it is! if you're a younger student just out of college and aren't used to living on your own it's probably a decent idea (and really good if you're not a morning person!) you mentioned living in the dorms because it would be easier to study with others--lots of folks study in edelstone (the student center in the basement of the medical school)--there's a contingent (myself included) that study primarily over at the rush library (much nicer than uic's! but from all accounts, uic is a far better education).
i've been pleasantly surprised by my classmates--it's a good group of people with really diverse backgrounds, single parents, married students, lawyers, architects, musicians....etc. over the course of the first semester i've found a group of very dear friends--aside from orientation it really just takes time to really get to know your classmates. it can be a busy and intimidating time but also really exciting.
compared to some friends at other schools, the first semester schedule does seem to be particularly grueling--but you make it through and you learn an incredible amount. rumor has it that after spring break things ease up a bit (i can give you a more informed opinion on that in a few weeks!).
some of the professors are pretty good and some are truly quite not-good! i think that's pretty typical of most schools, though. you figure out which classes are worthwhile for you to attend and which hours are better spent studying on your own. (this is definitely NOT the same from person to person). plenty of people don't attend class at all and choose instead to study on their own. most folks find a balance. last summer i considered myself to be absolutely a class-attender and a textbook-reader----while i still like to be in class and to read the books i've found a balance that works for me and optimizes my time.
plenty of people do research during school. while i'm not a budding researcher, i think that those who are heavily interested in research do tend to be more selective in class attendance, but one of my friends who is MD/PhD is in class every day almost all the time and still has plenty of time to study, do research and do justice to his relationship. it seems to be more and more about time management and learning how to study most efficiently.
are you familiar with the jones scholars program? (i'm sure there's info on the website and in the book you were probably given at your interview). one of my closest friends is involved in this program which involves a certain number of research hours each week in exchange for reduced tuition. (let me know if you're unaware of this program--i'll try to direct you to a better resource).
i hope i've answered some of your questions (feel free to ask more). i'll end by saying that i'm happy to have decided on uic.
let me know if i can be of further help!

Thanks for passing along the info chitown82 :thumbup:

chitown82 said:
no prob...are you set on uic or still considering other schools?

Still have an interview at Jefferson in April, but pretty much set on UIC. You?

Does anyone know if there is a second look weekend? Also, any word on when we will receive a financial aid package??
go easy and congrats to UIC '09!!

bugger said:
Does anyone know if there is a second look weekend? Also, any word on when we will receive a financial aid package??
go easy and congrats to UIC '09!!

Hey there, there isn't a second look weekend for UIC, unfortunately. No idea about aid packages though.

:thumbup:

On another note, I went to see the MD City Apartments. I really liked what they had to offer. The apartments are super close to campus, they have security/concierge, and they are doing a ton of renovations (a new gym, indoor/outdoor pool, new facade, a business center, club house). They have studios, convertibles, one bedroom, and two bedroom apartments. Most of the units are carpeted, but you have the option of getting wood floors in your unit (minus the bedroom). They are reasonably priced (my experience with housing is in Boston where things are relatively much more expensive), and they are offering one month free for a twelve month lease. They also have indoor and outdoor parking.

There are a ton of apartments in the area - 10 min max from campus. I plan on checking out a few more places with a realtor later in the week. However, most of them places are stand-alone, individual landlord-owned. Does anyone know of other apartments complexes/buildings other than the MD City Apartments in the area?

The med school is really close to Taylor street where there are a ton of restaurants. I ate at some hole in the wall Indian place and it was mad good. :thumbup:

Does anybody know if which campus you train at matters when you apply for residency? I know that each has strengths, for example, Rockford emphasizes primary care, Peoria is good for surgery, etc, but I'm wondering if being on the UPR track is a disadvantage compared to Chicago.

Also, I've heard that classes during the first year at Champaign can be pretty tough. Do they have block scheduling? Anybody know on average, how much time M1's spend in class. Like 8-5?

redruby said:
Does anybody know if which campus you train at matters when you apply for residency? I know that each has strengths, for example, Rockford emphasizes primary care, Peoria is good for surgery, etc, but I'm wondering if being on the UPR track is a disadvantage compared to Chicago.

Also, I've heard that classes during the first year at Champaign can be pretty tough. Do they have block scheduling? Anybody know on average, how much time M1's spend in class. Like 8-5?

Check out http://www.med.uiuc.edu/m1/ - it has the current M1 schedule.

What are some of the nicer parts of town (chicago) to live yet still have an easy L ride to UIC? I'm outta state so bare with me.

JuanRafia said:
What are some of the nicer parts of town (chicago) to live yet still have an easy L ride to UIC? I'm outta state so bare with me.

Sure.

What are we bareing?

JuanRafia said:

UIC is on the blue line. Bucktown has a blue line stop at North and Damen. That area is up and coming with young people. It's worth a look. If the train is your priority, then you don't really have any other options, unless you want to live in the loop - or west loop (UIC campus). Good luck!

Friday, April 22nd

10:00 AM - 2:00 PM

BE THERE, BIATCHES!

DrThom said:
Friday, April 22nd

BE THERE, BIATCHES!

damn, where did you get the info????

got the card too.

did anyone get financial aid info...another form to fill out.
i know someone who said they did.

LoveDoc said:
got the card too.

did anyone get financial aid info...another form to fill out.
i know someone who said they did.

I got one maybe a week and a half ago.

Do UIC students at all campuses have a pretty easy time with the administration? I ask because so far, I've not been impressed. I called to try to get a meeting with Dr. Girotti and the secretary, albeit very nice, led me around in little circles until it became clear that I would not get to see him. This is opposed to other schools where all I had to do was call and ask to meet with the director of admissions.

DrThom said:
Friday, April 22nd

BE THERE, BIATCHES!

i stand corrected! cool, now i gotta look for flights

UIC is not including my apartment # in the things they send me.... I called today and the lady said they have the correct address. According to the post card, they do not! AHH!! Frustration :thumbdown:

nimer1456 said:
UIC is not including my apartment # in the things they send me.... I called today and the lady said they have the correct address. According to the post card, they do not! AHH!! Frustration :thumbdown:

On the online status page, my zip code has a digit missing, and when I called to check on this, the lady said "we automatically omit the first digit if its a 0." I agreed and thanked her like it made sense.

chitown82 said:
On the online status page, my zip code has a digit missing, and when I called to check on this, the lady said "we automatically omit the first digit if its a 0." I agreed and thanked her like it made sense.

lololololololololol I'm sorry, but I'm ROTFL. That is the silliest thing I've ever heard! :laugh:

chitown82 said:

Online it has my apt # and when I talked her she told me I lived in Apt 8... i was like cool. Then I got the postcard and the post office added a sticker...

"Get ALL that's coming to you. To insure delivery of ALL your mail, please use you apt number on ALL your corresponsence."

I wouldnt care but I think the post office is getting pissy :oops: And I havent heard of this deleting the first digit if it is zero... that is just bizarre :rolleyes:

UIC has a second look weekend? Please tell me what was on the post card!

tesla123 said:
UIC has a second look weekend? Please tell me what was on the post card!

Honestly, all it says is that UIC's second look is on April 22nd from 10AM-2PM. It also says there's more information coming so you haven't missed much :)