UHS Class 2006 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
3rd year the school sets up your schedule, but you can trade with classmates. 4th year we set up ourselves, but have to do Cardiology & ER with the "school's approved " Docs.

Members don't see this ad.

EUROdocMOM said:
3rd year the school sets up your schedule, but you can trade with classmates. 4th year we set up ourselves, but have to do Cardiology & ER with the "school's approved " Docs.

General Irritation,
What are you talking about? That is ALL wrong!!..........Okay, it's not but I know you and the Prez miss arguing with me so I thought I would be confrontational. :)

I'm finishing up my first FM rotation this week and then it is on to my 2nd IM rotation. I can't wait to actually do an inpatient rotation. Hopefully I'll see some interesting pathology. FM has been fun but most of the cases are :sleep: .So, Big Steve is is surgery again?? When are you going to realize that Pathology is the true hidden gem of medicine and come over to our side?
You're gonna do derm and you know it!

ODB, getting nervous? The Cards have a fight on their hands my friend.

BamaAlum said:
So, Big Steve is is surgery again??

:confused: what is this Big Steve business :confused:

Laurel, I am so happy that you've come home to surgery. You are so smart and I think you'll make an excellent slicer/dicer.
M.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMaryC said:
:confused: what is this Big Steve business :confused:

Laurel, I am so happy that you've come home to surgery. You are so smart and I think you'll make an excellent slicer/dicer.
M.

Mary, why you so out of the loop? Big Steve has been Big Steve ever since there was a Big Steve. And if a woman wants to be called Big Steve then it is her right to be called Big Steve. This country was founded on the premise that a Big Steve divided against itself cannot stand. That is why Big Steve must return to her roots and embrace her dermatologicalness and cast aside this surgery foolishness.

Mary- I'm on "inpatient family medicine (IM in name only). Anytime code blue gets called, all the docs and students head straight to the room, unless you are in surgery. Yesterday, it was another day, another code, and we narrowly avoided a code today.

Laurel- After a month of getting up every morning at 4, I hope to never see the OR again... You can take those army surgery residency slots, I don't want them!

Felt like our class thread was getting a little too low on the page. BUMP this up!

Has anyone seen the ODB? I'm worried about his mental health after the Cards got pimp slapped by the Sox........ODB, get off the roof! It's not worth it! Think about all your illegitimate children. ODB, there is still hope for the Rams (although not much). The Cards just played like vaginas, that's all. It's not your fault...........ODB, put the gun down. If you are going to kill yourself take some pills like a real woman!

Oh, I almost forgot. The Prez is a Cards fan too. Prez, get off the roof!....

BamaAlum said:
Has anyone seen the ODB? I'm worried about his mental health after the Cards got pimp slapped by the Sox........ODB, get off the roof! It's not worth it! Think about all your illegitimate children. ODB, there is still hope for the Rams (although not much). The Cards just played like vaginas, that's all. It's not your fault...........ODB, put the gun down. If you are going to kill yourself take some pills like a real woman!

:laugh: :smuggrin: :thumbup:

I think it was a conspiracy.

Ahh, another week, another slew of codes...

BamaAlum said:

Bama,
I've decided to get off the roof and get therapy. 105 wins and then get swept in the World Series! RIDICULOUS!!!!! I think my hope of a Rams postseason has gone down the tube. Losing to the 0-5 Miami Dolphins! RIDICULOUS!!!! I'm at my wit's end. There definitely is a conspiracy somewhere here. It's bigger than the Kennedy assassination. Where's Oliver Sone when you need him. It could be worse... I could be a Cubs fan.
ODB +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

I've finally had the IV lexapro removed......... still depressed about the cards..... not sure who stole their bats.... but I MUST GO ON!!!! Thanks for caring Bama...... I'm feeling the love.

dje4927 said:
Bama,
I've decided to get off the roof and get therapy. 105 wins and then get swept in the World Series! RIDICULOUS!!!!! I think my hope of a Rams postseason has gone down the tube. Losing to the 0-5 Miami Dolphins! RIDICULOUS!!!! I'm at my wit's end. There definitely is a conspiracy somewhere here. It's bigger than the Kennedy assassination. Where's Oliver Sone when you need him. It could be worse... I could be a Cubs fan.
ODB +pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Hey ODB, let me be the first to welcome you to the Cubs/Bears family. Here in Chicago, we make it a point to have high expectations only to have them dashed against the rocks of reality :thumbdown: . After growing up in Chicago, you learn to have low expectations about your sports teams, so that anything remotely good would bring immense joy and satisfaction. Besides, I know deep down you really root for the Cubs. :smuggrin:

jp

obecalp said:
Hey ODB, let me be the first to welcome you to the Cubs/Bears family. Here in Chicago, we make it a point to have high expectations only to have them dashed against the rocks of reality :thumbdown: . After growing up in Chicago, you learn to have low expectations about your sports teams, so that anything remotely good would bring immense joy and satisfaction. Besides, I know deep down you really root for the Cubs. :smuggrin:

jp

You have yet to live in Cleveland I see. Apparently you didn't see the Browns take it up the rear in our first loss at home last week. :thumbdown:

Cleveland has been voted the most tortured sports city. So get over yourselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
obecalp said:

jp
Hey JP,
On a different note: May JLew RIP.
ODB
PS. You'll see monkeys fly out of my a$$ before I root for the Cubs!!

I put Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital, St Joe Mercy of Macomb, and St Vincent in Toledo, has anyone here heard anything good or bad? I mean I only heard the good side from the recruiters at hospital day but I just went with my gut feeling since the other 2nd and 3rd sites that I put were over full which was Genesys and Wilson Medical center? Also, am I allowed to change my mind later on lets say I get my 3rd choice, but I see another location that was empty? Is taht sheet with my 3 choices all I have besides during the trading period or unless I don't match? :(
Also, are you all in general satisfied with the way our school runs 3rd and 4th year with the online exams and stuff?

DrMaryC said:
You have yet to live in Cleveland I see. Apparently you didn't see the Browns take it up the rear in our first loss at home last week. :thumbdown:

Hmmm...Yeah, you're right Mary. I concede to Cleveland. May this year's Cav's go where it has never gone before...to the postseason (at least to my knowledge). Hey, how's it going out there? Which rotation are you in?

jp

dje4927 said:
Hey JP,
On a different note: May JLew RIP.
ODB
PS. You'll see monkeys fly out of my a$$ before I root for the Cubs!!

Fly, monkeys, FLY :eek: [as gorillas blast forth from ODB's orifice, with their hair matted with his fecal matter.] :scared: :scared: :scared:

DrMaryC said:

Who voted that? The citizen's of Cleveland? In my opinion, every city seems to think it alone is unique in bad sports luck. Look at Boston, crying all those years about the Red Sox, while the Celtics and Bruins load up on championships for decades, and the Patriots go on a tear for the past few years.

Well, sports fans...
Today is the day to cast your ballots for our next Pres. and other offices, Four more years? We'll see when the lawyers work it all out. Just like they have worked out health care for all of us!
Okay, enough politics...you know I am from DC, so I had to say something!

By the way, it seems everyone thinks I am going into surgery. My goodness people, I simply stated that I enjoyed my rotation, as I am enjoying IM now.
Okay, now that I have gotten that off my chest, how is everyone doing out there?
KC has finally gotten COLD! The Chiefs are winning and everyone seems to be happy as ever...

In answer to Wolverine's post re: 3rd and 4th year clerkships and the exams...here's a current MS-IV view.

I'm at POH, and I had a great 3rd year. In fact, I haven't talked to any of my classmates who did not have a good year. It is difficult to move again, especially if you moved to go to school and also if you have friends at allo schools who walk across the street from school to go to the hospital. Sometimes I felt like a drove around more than I would have liked.
I enjoyed having an elective and my site also gave us a surgery subspecialty choice for our second GS rotation. That meant I was able to choose from ENT, ophtho, urology, ortho, etc, instead of just GS.

Planning for 4th year really begins in the spring of third year, and you are essentially, on your own. If you have decided on a field, and are looking at residency spots, go to the websites and start pulling applications. Most hospitals won't accept apps for the next year until March or later.
Sometimes this feels like a pain in the butt, that you're trying to set up rotations when you still have things going on. Deal with it.

Boards are in August. Deal with it. Personally, I love the fact that I'm *done* with boards and my friends are talking about sequesterng themselves during Christmas. That said, I think I would strongly consider taking some time off in August not only to study, but to prepare for applications, especially since this year you go through ERAS (get down on your knees for that one, ERAS is great!)

The one thing I can advise you with is to be on top of things. Get your regsitration stuff done, get you pretest done, your MEDIQ, etc. Don't wait until the last minute for everything or you'll A) make the OCCE miserable and you won't like that B) miss important deadlines, and you won't like that and C) make your memories of this time bad (and you won't like that either). If you're not organized, work to get that way. quickly.

But the post tests definitely suck. You should only wish we got to take the shelf exams.

PM me if you have questions. :p

Cool post, Electra. :D :thumbup: Any interviews yet? PM me if you want.
M.

Thanks Electra.
Hey guys, Bama's b-day was yesterday. I saw it on the Birthday e-mail.
Happy birthday!

EUROdocMOM said:
Thanks Electra.
Hey guys, Bama's b-day was yesterday. I saw it on the Birthday e-mail.
Happy birthday!

Thanks Everybody! It was a pretty good b'day except that I had to work last night and one of our patients died. Going with my attending to tell the family is the absolute worse thing ever. Makes me glad I am going into Path. But other than that it was a good b'day. I hope everyone is doing well. I miss all my KC peeps.

BamaAlum said:
Thanks Everybody! It was a pretty good b'day except that I had to work last night and one of our patients died. Going with my attending to tell the family is the absolute worse thing ever. Makes me glad I am going into Path. But other than that it was a good b'day. I hope everyone is doing well. I miss all my KC peeps.

Happy Birthday (belated) :clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

BamaAlum said:

Hey, Bama!!

Happy B-day!

I survived my first day of L&D today but we didn't have any deliveries :)
I think it is going to take some getting use to getting up this early as opposed to being on FP. Everyone seems really nice and I think I am going to enjoy being at the hospital finally.

Hope things are going well for all of you!!

S

Dr. S said:
Hey, Bama!!

Happy B-day!

I survived my first day of L&D today but we didn't have any deliveries :)
I think it is going to take some getting use to getting up this early as opposed to being on FP. Everyone seems really nice and I think I am going to enjoy being at the hospital finally.

Hope things are going well for all of you!!

S

Hey stranger Dr. S....I started OB today too. It was a short day. My doc seems very nice and laid back. Good to hear from you!
M.

I just wanted to add in that I'm also on my OB rotation. (And bump up our thread!) I really do like this rotation even though the hours are very long. I've helped deliver 20 babies, many c-sections, even twins. I've also been first or second assist on over 10 gynecological surgeries....all in two weeks.

Now that I've had two months of surgery and this month of OB/GYN, I don't know if I'll know what to do next month in psychiatry. No procedures, no scrubbing?!

Anyway, I also wanted to really recommend the book, Current Obstetrics and Gynecology Diagnosis and Treatment. It's a great resource, especially for the procedures, and an easy read.

Have a good weekend!

Hey guys, I just got into KCUMB for the upcoming year. I'm wondering about Health insurance while in school. Where did you guys get this, does the school offer a program? or did you have to go private, What kind of cost does it include?

Also, I have already gotten in and I'm waiting to send my deposit until my bro gets in, he called and they told him he was in the qualified applicant pool. What does that mean? Is there anything i can/should do, to help speed this process up?

hello Dr. MaryC and gang,

I can't remember if I emailed you back or not. I've been all over!
Interviews: Mayo, Harvard (Spaulding), Northwestern (RIC), U of Michigan, U of Washington, U of Colorado. Stanford decided not to download the rest of my app once they found out I was a D.O. No sweat.
Rank list: see above.

Hope all is well with you guys and that rotations are going good! :p

electra said:
hello Dr. MaryC and gang,

I can't remember if I emailed you back or not. I've been all over!
Interviews: Mayo, Harvard (Spaulding), Northwestern (RIC), U of Michigan, U of Washington, U of Colorado. Stanford decided not to download the rest of my app once they found out I was a D.O. No sweat.
Rank list: see above.

Hope all is well with you guys and that rotations are going good! :p

:clap:

DrMaryC requests permission to pick your brain prn, sir. :D I'm very proud of you! I'll keep my fingers crossed :luck:

DrMaryC said:
:clap:

DrMaryC requests permission to pick your brain prn, sir. :D I'm very proud of you! I'll keep my fingers crossed :luck:
:oops: well, having taken the boards, it's a little picked over already. But you're welcome to whatever is left. ;)

BamaAlum said:
Oh My Gosh The ODB is dead! I can't believe it. Goodbye old friend, goodbye.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/13/obit.odb.ap/index.html

Hahahahahahahahaha! That is awesome Bama!

Hey guys, sorry I have slacking on the board. I'm on IM again. It is pretty busy. I have been an H & P machine!!! I didn't think I would say I am getting tired of history and physicals but I am. I am glad to here that everyone is doing well. Wichita is going fine.

Well gotta go do rounds. Lata!

-C

I was kinda worried about ya, Chris. It's not like you to be away for so long. Yeah, glad to hear that everyone's doing well. Good luck, Electra, and thanks for all the great info.

And may the ODB Rest In Peace.

Gotta go back to studying boards : (

jp

Hey, do any of you guys know if any of your classmates are at the Moberly, MO AHEC site? If you do, could you PM me with who it is so I can contact them, or email them to let them know I'm interested in getting in touch.

Thanks
wbdo

What up everyone--

Just wanna wish everyone a great Turkey Day!!!!

Hope the rotations are going well. How much is everyone studying at night?? I was doing good for a while, but for the last month or so, Xbox has been winning over studying!!

Later!

-C

Holy crap, we were almost off the second page! You guys need to pick it up a bit.

The docs had a Christmas party for us tonight which was pretty cool.

Hope all is well in the land of Externs!

-C

All is very well.....I started vascular surgery today :love: :love:

Hey guys, quick question...I understand that we as third years do not have any vacation until our fourth year. So, what happens when we do need to break away from rotations. So, for example: does KCUMB pull you out of rotations if you fail boards so that you can have some time to study? Typically how much time do they give you? And, for the million dollar question, when/how do you make it up? Thanks guys!

jp

well, most sites will give the students Christmas vacation...since fewer of the hospital staff work anyway. and you will usually fet at least a couple of days at Thanksgiving. You do get five vacation days per year, so there is a little time to get away. But really - you won't be able to get out of dodge every time you feel like it as an intern/resident/attending, so get used to having a small amount of time all at once or ask for an occasional three day weekend.

You get a month as independent study that you must take in august (that's kind of when you're studying for Boards.) I would recommend that you take that month. You get credit for it when you pass the test. You also get a month for straight vacation, and can either take it as a month off (in april seems to be the most popular) or during your residency interviews.

I have no idea how the University takes care of anything if you fail Boards. I would not recommend that you try an find out the hard way. You might ask your coordinator. :)

QUOTE=obecalp]Hey guys, quick question...I understand that we as third years do not have any vacation until our fourth year. So, what happens when we do need to break away from rotations. So, for example: does KCUMB pull you out of rotations if you fail boards so that you can have some time to study? Typically how much time do they give you? And, for the million dollar question, when/how do you make it up? Thanks guys!

jp[/QUOTE]

Thanks Electra,
Reason I was asking is that I'll be finishing my first two years here at UHS/KCUMB in one more week (woot, woot!!!), but it seems that Sarah Hazelton wants me to start clerkships right away, as in Jan 1. I have yet to take the boards, and I think that the longer I push it off, the more difficult it will be for me to score as high as I possibly can. Hoping to take it in the middle of Feb (USMLE), and then come back to Kansas City for my clerkships. Am I allowed to take the USMLE step 1 while on an official leave of absence? I read the regulations on the nbme website, and it states that I've got to be officially enrolled. Yeah, I'm in a bit of a mess here. Can anybody here shine some light on the subject.

And for something completely different: I think I can kind of understand how you guys felt when it was your last week of class in KC. I'm starting to feel it too. Alot of memories...I find myself happy to be finished with the classroom, but at the same time, a litle sad because I'll leave something I'm so familiar with (class/lecture) to enter something that's totally different (rotations). I guess I'm just glad to finally get some closure!

jp

yeesh! I don't know how that will work. Since you have to take the COMLEX in June, I would imagine that taking the USMLE would be easier then as well. The question would be getting some study time in, since what is on Step I is not the same as Step II and clerkships are more conducive to Step II.

If you could start your clerkships in January and board in June, you would be done with third year next december and be right on time for the January administration of COMLEX.

I will PM you.

obecalp said:
Thanks Electra,
Reason I was asking is that I'll be finishing my first two years here at UHS/KCUMB in one more week (woot, woot!!!), but it seems that Sarah Hazelton wants me to start clerkships right away, as in Jan 1. I have yet to take the boards, and I think that the longer I push it off, the more difficult it will be for me to score as high as I possibly can. Hoping to take it in the middle of Feb (USMLE), and then come back to Kansas City for my clerkships. Am I allowed to take the USMLE step 1 while on an official leave of absence? I read the regulations on the nbme website, and it states that I've got to be officially enrolled. Yeah, I'm in a bit of a mess here. Can anybody here shine some light on the subject.

And for something completely different: I think I can kind of understand how you guys felt when it was your last week of class in KC. I'm starting to feel it too. Alot of memories...I find myself happy to be finished with the classroom, but at the same time, a litle sad because I'll leave something I'm so familiar with (class/lecture) to enter something that's totally different (rotations). I guess I'm just glad to finally get some closure!

jp

I just wanted to add...don't feel bad if you have to start rotations in January and then take time off in May/June to study for boards and take them in June. I think that rotations are a wonderful reinforcer for boards. Especially for pharmacology...what better way to help remember drugs than to use them. (Ooops that sounds like I'm promoting the abuse of street drugs. Really I'm not a dealer.) You see what I mean? If you did rotations like Family Medicine, Internal Medicine and Psychiatry you would be getting a wonderful review and you would have the easier schedules where you could put some book time in at least a couple days a week. Most doctors pimp you on questions that are really high yield and that would reinforce your study too. I really think it would be a good plan, but I understand your reasoning for wanting to take the USMLE now.

You've done a wonderful job dealing with a schedule out of the routine so far. I know that no matter which schedule you end up with it will all work out for the best.

Also, I hope everyone is still enjoying rotations. Chris, I'm sure you're still studying more than most of us. Have you all been working on setting up fourth year rotations yet?

Thanks, Anna. I have yet to really decide what I want to do. I guess I have a little less than 24 hours to come up with what I've decided to do. Thanks for the advice, Electra, and Anna. Hey guys, if you were in my situation, what would you do. Keep it coming!

jp

Congrats on completing your 2nd year stuff! That went fast.

You should be able to take the same 6 weeks off before comlex that everyone else does. And be able to participate in the Integrative Section. It's only fair.

So you start your rotations January 1st. Do you have a say in your rotation schedule or are they just going to place you wherever? Regardless, you will be prepared, no problem.

If you do a rotation in January and then take usmle in February, I'm afraid you won't have had enough time to study for usmle.

Most of us set up a schedule over that 6 weeks of what to study and when. I'm guessing you are worried that you are going to start to forget stuff between now and June.

But I think you will be OK if you go ahead, start rotations, set up a weekend subject study schedule (if you're not doing kaplan) and take 6 weeks before the tests.

My $0.02.

Good luck friend! :luck:
M.

obecalp said:
Thanks, Anna. I have yet to really decide what I want to do. I guess I have a little less than 24 hours to come up with what I've decided to do. Thanks for the advice, Electra, and Anna. Hey guys, if you were in my situation, what would you do. Keep it coming!

jp

James, my brotha'. How's it going? Have you just considered cheating? I mean it would be much easier. :) Seriously though, maybe they would let you start your rotations in January but use your 4th year vacation block in June or July to take the USMLE. I know you aren't supposed to be able to take your vacation block until 4th year, but yours is a unique situation. Come on OCCE people!! Think outside the box, dang it! Anyway, I hope that it works out for you. So far the best thing about 3rd year is that it is a year closer to 4th year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.