UHS Class 2006 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What up what up..... Greetings from the Land of Oz.......
Glad to hear everyone is doing good.

Things are going well here in Wichita.......still busy as hell. Logged 160 patients already. But I am learning a lot and having a fairly good time.

Welcome to the board Shalin.....and welcome back to some of our silent members.....Dr Sims and Eurodocmom! Glad to hear from you ladies.

JP, keep our house in line will ya....dont let the '07ers take over.....wait, crap I just remembered that I am on '07er now!!!

Well gotta go read and then hit the hay! Peace out

-C

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry it took so long to reply to those that had questions about surgery. I'm currently trudging through it at Mercy Suburban, in Norristown, PA. I mostly see biliary surgery and hernia repairs, although for some reason, the students also scrub in with a plastic surgeon once a week. I assisted with liposuction and an abdomenoplasty (tummy-tuck). Interesting stuff, but the surgery lasted over 5 hours. As for rounding, I usually round on a patient if I assisted during their surgery, plus one or two other interesting cases, as they arise. For pimp questions, I get hit mostly with stuff related to perioperative care, lab values and diagnostic tests, since they can only ask me so many questions about the layers of the abdominal wall and pancreaticobilliary anatomy. Basically, my residents want to see if I know the "whys" rather than low yield esoterica. I got my boys roasted over an open fire the other day for knowing nothing about ERCPs when one of my patients was scheduled to have one later in the day. Good luck to anyone else doing surgery next, and say good-bye to sleep (and regular meals) for a month!

BamaAlum said:
ODB!
You are now officially a REAL medical student. But don't tell anyone about Path. I don't want the word getting out about the hidden jewel of the medical world. Where did you see the autopsy? Topeka, with Dr. Mitchell?
Sorry I have not posted in awhile. Mj, I did the autopsy at home...a pathologist comes in from time to time to the funeral home my dad works at. Started family med this week and have logged about 12 hours per day between hospital rounds at MCI and the the UHS clinic. Seeing A LOT and learning a lot more but am feeling a bit overwhelmed between long hours for rotation stuff and MBA sh&t. Get 'er done!
ODB

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering how you guys/gals like rotations so far? Also, when did you start studying for the boards...

I miss you guys! :love: Does anyone miss me yet?? :laugh: I know it is hard for you guys to make it through the day without seeing my smiling face! Oh by the way, for all of those who sat on the Left Side of Ricci, I would like you to know that I am ALWAYS on time for rotations. Please someone pass this message to Keir, I know he will be happy to hear it, since I disturbed him coming in late from the cafeteria every hour.... A sistah gotta eat!!! It disturbed me to find out I didn't win the "always late for class" award since I tried so very hard to get it during first and second year. I don't think I have ever even sat in any class longer than 20 minutes. Oh! that's why I didn't win, you guys didn't even notice that I had been there.

Mary C - You know dr. mathews probably will email us and make us send him a copy of our updated CV next month...he's just waiting for us to get settled into rotations!

Dr. Chris - thanks for the welcome home message, It's good to be back

MJ- I know you miss your sexual chocolate. Did my grandma ever send you those chitlens she was suppose to mail to you? :laugh:

Take care everyone and I'm praying for all your success!

~ the one...the only...the first....Dr. Sims

Ok, i just wanted to see how my new signiture looked :) tee hee

DeKaSi said:
Ok, i just wanted to see how my new signiture looked :) tee hee

Hey Dr Sims Your signature is great. Now you should work on a new avatar. :D

I get the day off today. :thumbup:

Wo1verine7DO said:
Just wondering how you guys/gals like rotaions so far? Also, when did you start studying for the boards...

You must have just had hospital day. Rotations are good. If you need the Ohio scoop, feel free to drop me a note.

What's happening back in KC? How's neuro? I'm giving a patient reminyl. Dr. Hon will talk about this probably. Are you at CT? How are things at my old home? Any fights in the library?

Have fun :thumbup:

DrMaryC said:
You must have just had hospital day. Rotations are good. If you need the Ohio scoop, feel free to drop me a note.

What's happening back in KC? How's neuro? I'm giving a patient reminyl. Dr. Hon will talk about this probably. Are you at CT? How are things at my old home? Any fights in the library?

Have fun :thumbup:

Hey Mary, I hear interrogations go better if you have a heat lamp close by. :) Please limit your posts to no more than 20 questions. J/k Mary, you know I luv you.

Dejarra, my sista'! What's happening? I know you miss me, don't you? Do you want me to send you a poster size picture of me for those lonely nights in Okie Dokieville? Your grandmomma didn't send me any chitlins' but them pigs feets sho' was good! Put some hot sauce on there and Um, um! Blow ya' head off!!

We're kickin' it here in the Fort as we like to call it. Actually, no one calls it that but I'm trying to start a new trend. My preceptor has been gone a lot so when he is gone I usually just hang with Des' and her preceptor at the main hospital in town. We have good times, fun times. Just saving lives, one after another. You should see Des in action. She's pretty stellar. Our first rotation ends this Friday. We're pumped.

Ya'll take it easy and remember you can't out-pimp a true Pimp.

MJ

Glad to hear y'all doin good! Same ol' same ol' wit me.

Pimpin' ain't Easy......but it sho is fun!!!

Can't think of anything intelligent to say. Will post more later.

Wolverine.....I started seriously studying for boards during Integrative. If you want, you could start reviewing a bit before, but you will probably forget it anyway. Use either First Aid or Step Up as your bible and know it well. I liked First Aid better. And be sure to write in it all the time; extra tidbits that they go over in class. I would have mine out during class everyday and jot stuff down in it!

Well later y'all......gotta workout then eat....then read!! Drat!

-C

drchris33 said:
Wolverine.....I started seriously studying for boards during Integrative. If you want, you could start reviewing a bit before, but you will probably forget it anyway. Use either First Aid or Step Up as your bible and know it well. I liked First Aid better. And be sure to write in it all the time; extra tidbits that they go over in class. I would have mine out during class everyday and jot stuff down in it!

-C

whoa whoa whoa, now wait a minute. If I recall correctly you were helping me with my follies videos back in late January, and we sat and fretted together about boards. I think you started in Aug. 2002. :laugh: :love:

BamaAlum said:
Hey Mary, I hear interrogations go better if you have a heat lamp close by. :) Please limit your posts to no more than 20 questions. J/k Mary, you know I luv you.

MJ

Go play on a highway.

Dr. S said:
Hey, Everybody!!

How are things? This is my first post ever. I started my family medicine rotation this week. My doctor has been keeping me very busy. He works all the time. But I am learning tons and having a good time. Ohio is a fun place to be. Hope you are all doing well!

Miss you all so much!

Shalin

Hi Shalin!! *waves

Members don't see this ad :)
Check everybody out...an SDN reunion! I am about to cry. Not from happiness, just because didactics was so painful today!
You outliers are really missing out on stuff here in KC.
...group hug...

The Eu-D-MOM is back! I just replied to my own post so I would get an e-mail that I had a reply. Is that sad?
I think the psych dept is getting to me.
HEY... Mary & MJ need to play nice or we will have to subject you to a mandatory KC didactic film-a-thon.

EUROdocMOM said:
The Eu-D-MOM is back! I just replied to my own post so I would get an e-mail that I had a reply. Is that sad?
I think the psych dept is getting to me.
HEY... Mary & MJ need to play nice or we will have to subject you to a mandatory KC didactic film-a-thon.

Welcome back EuroDocMom who is neither in Europe nor a doc (yet), discuss..... Seriously, maybe you should change your screen name. Get over the German techno days and live in the now! Maybe you could switch it to AmeriStudentdocMOM. Don't you miss me bothering you a regular basis? I know Pres. Dawson does. Where is she anyway? I don't feel like the Fort Myers constituency is being properly represented. No taxation without representation! Don't make us throw tea in the Gulf. We'll do it!

I finished up my first Internal Medicine rotation today by hanging out in the pathology lab! My preceptor let me go down and hang with the pathologist some today because he knows that cranks my tractor. He's a cool guy and I had a lot of fun on my first rotation. Big Steve, you will be pleased to know that my first surgery rotation is trauma surgery. It is supposed to be really cool. They let you put in central lines and chest tubes and do internal cardiac massage, etc.

How often do you guys have didactics in KC? We have them at least 3 times a week here in the Fort. This week we had them 4 days, not to mention the mandatory DME dinner meeting that we had to attend. I turned down a free drug rep dinner last night because I was tired of going to meetings. It was probably a stupid thing to turn down b/c the restaurant where it was being held is supposed to be awesome. Anyway, ya'll be good and I holla' atcha later.

So, your back to your old love, Path? Man, you are worse than me with the "wheel of specialties".-I'm sticking to my guns now!
I'm going into my last week on inpt psych at the VA. WOW, what an experience. The best thing was that I got to have my own patients, and we did manage them medically, so I got to learn a 'lil medicine. No pimping (except day 2 in ECT) and totally laid back.
Supposed to start surg on Friday. I should find out where sometime before friday!! It's between two places. Just waiting to hear from the doc. One's awesome on KS side, and one is affiliated w/ MCI (YIKES).
We have didactics once a month in KC.
Is the post-test up for you if you are done with your rotaton? Are any "post-tests" up???
Hey, I actually had to pull out the ol' red path book this week! I know, I know, I am a dork. I just have forgotten too much stuff and the fruity tooty clinical "handbooks" just don't gimme the WHY's! You know I have to know the WHYs! (OCD acting up again).
Yes, I have looked up things in Harrison's, too, but it's kinda heavy to carry up to the 10th floor every day.
What books are ya'll using?
The General is doing well, we are working on our top secret research project together. I met w/ Dr. Dew this week about it. Looks promising. She is in IM on the north side. She has officially marked IM off of her spec choices-big surprise for a future carpenter!

Dearest Hurricane Magnet (formerly known as BamaAlum)..... WHERE IS THE LOVE????

Don't let eurodoc fool you with this "sticking to my guns" stuff about derm.... I give her another 3 weeks before she changes again..... maybe to path!! HAHAHAHA!!

You'll be pleased to know some of your more concerned class reps did in fact email me wanting to know how all of you in FL are doing..... I tried to delete the emails and act like I never got them, but I guess there is a way to check that sort of thing... :) So, I finally asked the occe leader via email to let us know what is up with all you hurricane magnets....... All kidding aside, hope you guys along w/ the folks in gulfport are doing ok....

We had didactics yesterday..... once a month is all we have scheduled. Wish we had your didactics........ that is all I will write about that!!! IM this month and Peds next.... time to go play my bango and listen to bon govi!!! Carpe diem will pay!!!!! :)

OH58D.....set......hike

Oops. Sorry, was day-dreaming about the title run of the Diamond Dawgs in the 2002 UHS Intramural football league when you juked BamaAlum to get open for the game winning touchdown pass. Just goking.

As you were.

Finished surgery! And what a way to go out! For my last procedure in the OR, I got to witness the ...um... removal of a foreign object from the nether regions of the pelvic anatomy. This object was 12 inches long, vaguely mushroom-shaped and required batteries. The genius who inserted it also waited 3 days until he decided that maybe he should see a doctor. After 4 weeks of seeing mostly hernia repairs and cholecystectomies, this was a bit of a change.

T.A.M said:
Finished surgery! And what a way to go out! For my last procedure in the OR, I got to witness the ...um... removal of a foreign object from the nether regions of the pelvic anatomy. This object was 12 inches long, vaguely mushroom-shaped and required batteries. The genius who inserted it also waited 3 days until he decided that maybe he should see a doctor. After 4 weeks of seeing mostly hernia repairs and cholecystectomies, this was a bit of a change.

1. lol...bango. Banjo.
2. *high five, Tom :smuggrin:

What up my homies.....

IM is winding down. Learned a lot but been pretty busy. Still feel really dumb......

Anyway, I go to FP next...my preceptor does a lot of OMT I guess so that will be cool.

Hope everyone is doing well.

-C

Damn, when am I gonna go over the 1000 mark???

Hey guys! Glad to hear everyone is enjoying their rotations (ahem, Tomas) so far! I just finished IM and this is my first week of FP. It's MUCH slower paced and more relaxing, but naturally not near as much pathology.
MJ fixed my palm tonight...I was like, yeah whateva. My one leg can go all night long.
THE ODB!! Where are ya, buddy? MIA it seems. Tell us how old CT is holding up and if you've chatted with the security guard lately.
CM - wouldn't it be nice if you stopped counting your own posts??! Pure ridiculousness. Some of us are not blessed with the high post number such as yourself and find it offensive that you indeed have posted near 1000 times. This must be stopped. You have reached your limit and now I am forced to sick ODB on you. On a serious note, how is old Wichita holding up? Go eat at Il Vicino and have the Chicken Pesto sandwich....you'll thank me, I swear!
I saw a toe amputation today...pretty nasty...but what a nice view of that flexor hallucis longus. :D

drchris33 said:
Damn, when am I gonna go over the 1000 mark???

You are going to need to post about 450 more times. Sorry you have not reached sdn-loser status as I have. :D

*waves to Des
Hey little girl. Have fun in FM. Good times!

Thanks for the tip Mary!

Man I actually got home at around 430pm today; that is a record for me....it is usually 7-8pm. Anyway, just wanted to holla!

-C

Hey dudes!
Hmmm...not much going on in good old Ft. Myers today. Bama and I have planned to rendevous at the pool in approximately 10 minutes. I'm in FP right now and can most definitely say that I will not be a family doctor. It's only a month, right?! Nothing new to report here, though.
How's your rotation going, Miss Mary?
Des:) :)

Des.... please watch Bama close.... after his beloved "Role Tide" were crushed by the mighty USC Gamecocks..... at home no less.... well, I'm a little concerned about his mental state..... ok, I'm always concerned about his mental state... but this time, I'm really concerned :) Sounds like life is treating you rough.... pool, drinks, and chilling w/ FP... take care girl!!
LKD

Hey Des!
My FP rotation is OK. Although I've told my preceptor that I salivate over FP (in so many words) I am not quite sold. It's basically about sending every patient out of the office with a little slip of paper with a prescription for SOMA, Flexeril, or Avelox or debrox ear drops. And the occasional sebaceous cyst removal. I do indeed interview sometimes with the mindset of digging up some pathology, but for the most part, it's nothing like anything we've learned.

4 more weeks to go. Enjoy! :D

Hey pres! *pats pres on the back 'sup?
M.

Hey guys...
2 days into FP. It is going pretty well. I saw my first circumcision this morning. Man, I can still remember mine back in the day; but I couldn't walk for a year after it! :laugh:

Anyway, my doc does a lot of OMT and such so that is cool. Getting to practice that superb cranial we learned.

Well gotta go to didatics soon, so later

-C

FP sux rhino!! Who wants to spend their life treating ingrown toenails, hypertension and sinusitis? My preceptor is cool though. He lets me do everything. I basically do the entire work up, write out my treatment plan and write out the prescriptions. He then tells me if I am right and signs off on everything. I need some pathology people! At least with IM I saw WPW, and a few cases of scleroderma. Oh well, only 2.3 more weeks and I'm back on IM. Des loves her FP rotation. Right, Des?? ;)

Hope everyone is doing well. We're just chillin' down here in the Fort. Well, gotta go to a free drug rep dinner! My favorite part of 3rd year! :)

ODB, where are you my brotha'?

Sounds like everyone is in FP right now! I get to go see a couple surgeries tomorrow, though so that should be more fun.
What's up Pres!? How bad are you making all of us look on rotations? How are the kids? I've thought of you quite a bit with your hubby still overseas and wonder how you guys are.
The Fort is holding up well. My FP rotation is.....hmm.....is almost over. That's the perfect way to describe it.:)
ODB, still talkin trash I see! Anything new?
CM, how often do you have didactics? We have them thrice a week!!! Ahhh! Too early. Too early. I have to do a case presentation tomorrow am, though so that should be interesting.
Des:)

Hey guys,
Quick question...how did you guys go about presenting Stephen's neuro cases? What exactly are they looking for? How do they grade it? I'm guessing it's like the path cases we do for erf.

Anyhow...glad to see that you guys are posting again. Neuro's ok, but it's getting old. I'll be glad when it's over. Looks like everybody's on FM. I'm guessing Mary's coming to the end of FM, though. Glad to hear that you guys are having fun and learning alot. All right, holla!

jp

BamaAlum said:
FP sux rhino!! Who wants to spend their life treating ingrown toenails, hypertension and sinusitis? My preceptor is cool though. He lets me do everything. I basically do the entire work up, write out my treatment plan and write out the prescriptions. He then tells me if I am right and signs off on everything. I need some pathology people! At least with IM I saw WPW, and a few cases of scleroderma. Oh well, only 2.3 more weeks and I'm back on IM. Des loves her FP rotation. Right, Des?? ;)

Hope everyone is doing well. We're just chillin' down here in the Fort. Well, gotta go to a free drug rep dinner! My favorite part of 3rd year! :)

ODB, where are you my brotha'?
Bama and Des, are you staying out of trouble in Ft. Myers? Des shoot me an email. Des, good luck on your presentation. I,too, am in FP. Actually, I've learned a lot although the hours have been longer than I would have expected. I am at the UHS Family care center in Independence. Hey, JP, how bout them Cubs? Oh wait...they are not in the postseason like the Cards. I just hope they are enjoying their vacation. The neuro cases...pick a neuro case in one of the Neuro journals in the library. Divide it three ways and present much like a Path case. You'll be presenting in one of the rooms that we do the mock patient interviews. Usually these presentations are free points unless you are lucky enough to get Stephens so don't sweat it! Your final exam that week is a much bigger deal. JP, if you have ?, email me.
In memory of the late Rodney Dangerfield I get no respect.
ODB

obecalp said:
Hey guys,
Quick question...how did you guys go about presenting Stephen's neuro cases? What exactly are they looking for? How do they grade it? I'm guessing it's like the path cases we do for erf.

Anyhow...glad to see that you guys are posting again. Neuro's ok, but it's getting old. I'll be glad when it's over. Looks like everybody's on FM. I'm guessing Mary's coming to the end of FM, though. Glad to hear that you guys are having fun and learning alot. All right, holla!

jp

James :love: :love:
How are ya dude? That whole neuro case thing was kinda crazy. If I remember correctly, you basically have to present it like a patient, i.e. 23 year old man presents with right sided hemiparesis and whatever other symptoms, blah blah blah and you basically have to reconstruct where the lesion is and perhaps possible causes. It's all kind of a blur. Perhaps our fellow colleagues here on sdn can offer more input. They award you points based on your successful completion of presenting the case. You do it with 2 other ppl and you all have to 'work together' on it. So just make sure that you are on the same page as your comrades and it should all be just fine.

Sure do miss ya bud. FP is done Nov 5th. I'll probably end up missing it. I go to ob/gyn next. Drop me a note anytime, k?
M. :D

Wo1verine7DO said:
Mary,
I sent you an e-mail with some Ohio questions.

Hey...sorry, but I didn't get anything yet. I pm'd you my email address, to make sure you have the right one.

* JP... we presented our case to "sweet lew"... nuff said!!! :) I will add that signing up for the case you want to present ASAP is important since they aren't suppose to let every one present the same type of cases.

* unlike my fellow comrades who are in the FP trenches, I am in my peds rotation. It is safe to say that had I done a peds rotation before having kids, I may have never had kids:)
It's not too bad...... only bad part is some kid in the clinic is ALWAYS getting a shot therefore some kid is ALWAYS screaming bloody murder... good clean fun there!!!!

* hubby is due back for his 14 day leave ("vacation" in military terms) 20 NOV thru 04 DEC.... IF all goes well, they should get back (for good) in FEB/MAR '05. He's flying a lot and staying busy..... says it is fun to see all the kids waving to them as they fly over their villages.... they'll take their old plastic drink containers and fill them w/ hard candy and give that out to the kids as they fly by..... not something we'll see on the news, of course.

* BAMA.... how about the USC game!!! Yes, it's a week old... but I have to enjoy the glory since Saturday they'll turn around and forget to "show up" for the Mississippi game!!

LKD

Thanks ODB, Mary, and The Pres for your advice. Just found out that Wayne Newton himself will be attending ours. Oh, the joy.

It's that time again...finals week...neuroscience...I'm sure you all remember it with such fondness...good times. Help a brotha' out! Was Stephen's material killer on the final, or did he compose all of his questions from the very last review?

Anyways, MJ and Des, hold down the FORT! Say hi to Grant and Kendra for me. ODB, the Cardinals will lose the series. Pres...enjoy your time with your husband back home! Eurodocmom, how are the crazies? And DrMaryC, hang in there. Don't get pimped too hard!

jp

jp--

Hey there you pan asian. Neuro was so incredibly easy! It is shocking that not everyone received an A!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha

No, seriously, if you attended those afternoon sessions and you studied hard during the section, you will be fine. I have actually permanently erased that horrifying week from my memory. I honestly can't remember anything about it, other than getting sloppy drunk on Saturday night!!!!!! That's it

We had Treffer, McClain and Desai down here in Wichita today for an all day OPP review. For those of you that aren't too pumped about OPP, it would have been your worst nightmare. OPP from 9-4pm. Inominants, lumbar, thoracics, cervical and some Still's techniques. It was a great review, so I really enjoyed it. But the day was kind of long.

Well off to Starbucks to study before Scrubs comes on! JP, give me a holla sometime.

Peace out my homies!

-C

What is up Dr. Chris33. What's the 33 for, anyway?

jp: the only thing I remember from last year was learning the brainstem lesions like the day before the test based on Dr. Stephens' breakdown of info. I remember trying to print them on the 5th floor of CT. What a hoot.

Hang in! You'll make it I know you will . *hugs* :D

DrMaryC said:
What is up Dr. Chris33. What's the 33 for, anyway?

jp: the only thing I remember from last year was learning the brainstem lesions like the day before the test based on Dr. Stephens' breakdown of info. I remember trying to print them on the 5th floor of CT. What a hoot.

Hang in! You'll make it I know you will . *hugs* :D

33 was my football and basketball number in high school. That is all it stands for.

C

jp,
Congrats on completion of Neuro!
ODB

Anyone else out there in extended-UHS/KCUMB land seem to be doing a lot of codes lately? I've done three in the past 2 weeks...

T.A.M said:
Anyone else out there in extended-UHS/KCUMB land seem to be doing a lot of codes lately? I've done three in the past 2 weeks...

I called a code on my almost dead plant the other day. No one showed up so I gave it some water. We have sinus rhythm :thumbup: .

No, Tom, no codes in the fp clinic--yet. What rotation are you on that you are doing all these codes?

No code here, Mary! I am still alive on the Surgery service out in lovely Blue Springs/ Lees Summitt/ MCI land.
I am loving this month. Of course all I can compare it to is Psych, so who wouldn't love it.
I decided last week that I would rather spend 10 straight hours in the OR than 3 hrs seeing pts in clinic! Does anyone else find themselves feeling this way???
I am now dreading all my office based rotations.

EUROdocMOM said:
No code here, Mary! I am still alive on the Surgery service out in lovely Blue Springs/ Lees Summitt/ MCI land.
I am loving this month. Of course all I can compare it to is Psych, so who wouldn't love it.
I decided last week that I would rather spend 10 straight hours in the OR than 3 hrs seeing pts in clinic! Does anyone else find themselves feeling this way???
I am now dreading all my office based rotations.

how hard was it to set up the rotations?? did the school do it for you??

Status
Not open for further replies.