Uhcop 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys!

I wanted to first congratulate everyone who has been accepted so far and good luck to those who have an upcoming interview!

I just wanted to give an update for the tabled people! I got accepted today and I interviewed on Feb. 20th, so for those who are tabled don't lose hope!!

I'm really happy to be joining the class of 2013 at UHCOP! Can't wait to meet you guys next semester!!

Hey thanks for the update! Congratulations on your acceptance!! I was tabled also, interviewed on Feb 27. I am still waiting to hear back from them. Would you mind sharing your stats? Also, what time did they send you the email?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how long will they keep sending out invites or did they all go out today?

I got accepted too!!! I was tabled as well and just received my acceptance email today. :D:D:D Can't wait to be a part of the c/o 2013.

As for everybody else that was tabled, do not ever lose hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the update! Congratulations on your acceptance!! I was tabled also, interviewed on Feb 27. I am still waiting to hear back from them. Would you mind sharing your stats? Also, what time did they send you the email?

Hey tcw86,
I sent you a message, but I got my e-mail at 1:52 PM. Good luck! I hope you get in!!:xf:

i'll be expecting a rejection letter since i didn't receive an invite for the last interview dates :(

yeah i didnt get one either so i will be expecting that letter in the mail soon. i'm not too bummed though, got accepted to TAMU :-D and i'm reeally excited to move out and start!

One of the P1's told me that UH reserves one last day in May (after the May 1st day) that they might use if they feel they need to interview some more people. He said that they usually don't use it, but at least there's a chance.

does anyone know how many spots houston has already filled with acceptances?

for those of you who already got accepted, how long was it after your interview that you received an email?

does anyone know how many spots houston has already filled with acceptances?

for those of you who already got accepted, how long was it after your interview that you received an email?

The UHCOP Class of 2013 Facebook Group has 71 members, so it is safe to say that at least 71 people have been accepted. Most people have received their acceptance letters ~10 days after their interview.

I got accepted too!!! I was tabled as well and just received my acceptance email today. :D:D:D Can't wait to be a part of the c/o 2013.

As for everybody else that was tabled, do not ever lose hope!
Congradulations. I had my interview on 3-13 and did not receive any mail. How should I know I am tabled. What is the difference between tabled and waiting list? How long after interview you received the message that you are tabled?

Congradulations. I had my interview on 3-13 and did not receive any mail. How should I know I am tabled. What is the difference between tabled and waiting list? How long after interview you received the message that you are tabled?

I also interviewed on 03/13 and received my "tabled" letter on the 31st by snail mail. I believe the only letter you get through e-mail are the acceptances, and the "tabled" and rejection letters are through snail mail.

With "tabled" status, you get the chance to be reviewed by the adcom many times and have the possibility of getting an acceptance. The rest of the "tabled" individuals that do not get acceptances will automatically be put on the wait list. And as far as wait list goes, I believe you get ranked in order and get pulled off the list as students decline their offer. If someone can back me up on that...

Hope that helps. By the way, good luck!:luck:

GO ROCKETS '09!

The UHCOP Class of 2013 Facebook Group has 71 members, so it is safe to say that at least 71 people have been accepted. Most people have received their acceptance letters ~10 days after their interview.

Just because there are 71 members on facebook does not mean 71 people have been accepted. I am a P1 and I joined the group so have many of my classmates. It is safe to say that over half of the acceptances have been sent out.

Thanks!

Do you know how they weight the interview portion? Like how much do they consider our questionnaire and essay we turn in prior to the interview compared to the actual interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed on 03/13 and received my "tabled" letter on the 31st by snail mail. I believe the only letter you get through e-mail are the acceptances, and the "tabled" and rejection letters are through snail mail.

With "tabled" status, you get the chance to be reviewed by the adcom many times and have the possibility of getting an acceptance. The rest of the "tabled" individuals that do not get acceptances will automatically be put on the wait list. And as far as wait list goes, I believe you get ranked in order and get pulled off the list as students decline their offer. If someone can back me up on that...

Hope that helps. By the way, good luck!:luck:

GO ROCKETS '09!

Thanks for the info but I still don't know my status. I have not received anything. No rejection, no table, no wait list. Can anybody tell me what does this mean? Do I need to contact them and ask about my status? I interviewed on 3-13

Hey tcw86,
I sent you a message, but I got my e-mail at 1:52 PM. Good luck! I hope you get in!!:xf:
Hi Lucky , please tell me how long after your interview you received your tabled letter? I interviewed on 3-13 and did not reveive any news trough mail. Also congradulations on your acceptance.

Spoke with the Director of Admissions today. The Ad Com has not yet decided whether they will have another interview date (after May 1st) or not.

Thanks!

Do you know how they weight the interview portion? Like how much do they consider our questionnaire and essay we turn in prior to the interview compared to the actual interview?

The questionnaire and essay is just as important as the actual interview. If you spend a lot of time on it and do your best...it will pay off believe me. During the 30min interview, we might not get a chance to talk about all our experiences and achievements, so the essay and the questionnaire is a golden opportunity to tell them all about yourself.

Dont forget to reread the questionnaire answers the day before your interview, because the interviewer will definitely ask questions from it.

Good luck to all interviewing on april 24th :luck:

Just about. I only have one part left. and I will finish it tonight.

I am finishing mine right now and sending it in tonight!!
I'm worried because when I responded with the RSVP for the interview, I never got a response from Nora. Did you? I called the pharmacy school and left a voicemail to confirm but never heard back from that either.

Hi Lucky , please tell me how long after your interview you received your tabled letter? I interviewed on 3-13 and did not reveive any news trough mail. Also congradulations on your acceptance.

Sorry for the late response, I received my tabled letter approx. 2 weeks from my interview date (Feb. 20th). I think my interviewer told me to call them if I did not hear back within 4 weeks..so it might be good if you call them about your application status! good luck!

I'm worried because when I responded with the RSVP for the interview, I never got a response from Nora. Did you? I called the pharmacy school and left a voicemail to confirm but never heard back from that either.

Oh don't worry about that they'll send you an email a couple of days before the interview acknowledging that they received your email. As long as it has been sent you're good.

Oh don't worry about that they'll send you an email a couple of days before the interview acknowledging that they received your email. As long as it has been sent you're good.

Thanks! do you think you'll be attending houston, or are you waiting to hear from any other schools?

I didn't even read the first part of the email. I only opened the attachments. I didn't respond, but Nora called me personally after a few days.

Thanks! do you think you'll be attending houston, or are you waiting to hear from any other schools?

Oh I'm going to UH since I already live here and have already been attending UH as an undergrad. I already sent in my letter of intent so I'll be there in the Fall.

Oh I'm going to UH since I already live here and have already been attending UH as an undergrad. I already sent in my letter of intent so I'll be there in the Fall.

Awesome! Congratulations. Hopefully I'll be doing the same thing in a few weeks!

Last edited:
Again, Congrats to everyone that has been accepted! I hope I am celebrating the same thing next year and you guys will help me as a lowly P1 :) hehe. :thumbup:

Do any of the current students know how much Texas residency plays in the admissions? I am moving to Houston this summer, and will have residency for next year's application, which I didn't have this year. (along with improving my application in other ways) Thanks!

Again, Congrats to everyone that has been accepted! I hope I am celebrating the same thing next year and you guys will help me as a lowly P1 :) hehe. :thumbup:

Do any of the current students know how much Texas residency plays in the admissions? I am moving to Houston this summer, and will have residency for next year's application, which I didn't have this year. (along with improving my application in other ways) Thanks!

I am pretty sure it is helpful that you will be a resident next year. Something you could check would be to see if they have posted statistics for their classes and look at the percent that are out of state. Normally there are more in-state-resident students that attend the school. Which I would assume means more offers were made to in-state-students.

I am pretty sure it is helpful that you will be a resident next year. Something you could check would be to see if they have posted statistics for their classes and look at the percent that are out of state. Normally there are more in-state-resident students that attend the school. Which I would assume means more offers were made to in-state-students.

yea, i figure it definitely can't hurt! plus all the money i'd save from not having out of state tuition!:hello:

Thanks!

The questionnaire and essay is just as important as the actual interview. If you spend a lot of time on it and do your best...it will pay off believe me. During the 30min interview, we might not get a chance to talk about all our experiences and achievements, so the essay and the questionnaire is a golden opportunity to tell them all about yourself.

Dont forget to reread the questionnaire answers the day before your interview, because the interviewer will definitely ask questions from it.

Good luck to all interviewing on april 24th :luck:

Just to add a little more insight to what alphaRx said, the interview is pretty important imo. I heard they use it to kind of match students with their program. Most students applying have similar statistics and taking the best does not mean picking those with the best score. I think the interviewee's personality helps them differenetiate the applicants more. The questionairre is important because it shows them how well you can write and express who you are, at the same time it also allows them to get in more questions (during my interview we ran over time, and an adviser had to stop us).

I agree with alphaRx, read you questionnaire before the interview to remember what you wrote, in case they ask questions about it. My interviewer refereneced my questionairre but mainly asked me other questions.

Also, I think it is important to know and have questions about other things than yourself. I know during my interview I asked him as many questions as he asked me. We talked about the stimulus plan, universal healthcare, the effects of Medicare Plan D on small pharmacies, what UHCOP can offer me, and how Ike affected the school.

For me, I thought it was helpful to show that I wasn't only learning about the pre-reqs for pharm school, but that I was thinking about other things as well.

Just to add a little more insight to what alphaRx said, the interview is pretty important imo. I heard they use it to kind of match students with their program. Most students applying have similar statistics and taking the best does not mean picking those with the best score. I think the interviewee's personality helps them differenetiate the applicants more. The questionairre is important because it shows them how well you can write and express who you are, at the same time it also allows them to get in more questions (during my interview we ran over time, and an adviser had to stop us).

I agree with alphaRx, read you questionnaire before the interview to remember what you wrote, in case they ask questions about it. My interviewer refereneced my questionairre but mainly asked me other questions.

Also, I think it is important to know and have questions about other things than yourself. I know during my interview I asked him as many questions as he asked me. We talked about the stimulus plan, universal healthcare, the effects of Medicare Plan D on small pharmacies, what UHCOP can offer me, and how Ike affected the school.

For me, I thought it was helpful to show that I wasn't only learning about the pre-reqs for pharm school, but that I was thinking about other things as well.

so would you recommend getting caught up on current events before the interview? i never watch the news so i'm definitely behind :)

so would you recommend getting caught up on current events before the interview? i never watch the news so i'm definitely behind :)

No don't do that then you'll sound like you're trying too hard. Just be yourself and talk about things that are important to you. For example, I told my interviewer that my parents got a divorce not too long ago because my dad had an addiction to alcohol and he ended up cheating on her. Then I related that how I feel for the people who have addiction problems (which are a good chunk of pharmacy pts). I really thinking talking about that helped me get in because it showed them what I stand for and where my heart is in this field of medicine.

No don't do that then you'll sound like you're trying too hard. Just be yourself and talk about things that are important to you. For example, I told my interviewer that my parents got a divorce not too long ago because my dad had an addiction to alcohol and he ended up cheating on her. Then I related that how I feel for the people who have addiction problems (which are a good chunk of pharmacy pts). I really thinking talking about that helped me get in because it showed them what I stand for and where my heart is in this field of medicine.

thanks for your advice, and i'm sorry to hear about your parents. congrats on getting in though!

thanks for your advice, and i'm sorry to hear about your parents. congrats on getting in though!

Well i agree with Hilariousbomb. You should talk about the things that really affect your life and how you have grown from that. If you have stories that make you stand out from the rest than you should keep them in mind for the interview. Also, those stories will probably be easier for you to talk about since you know more about them, which would make it sound less contrived. The only reason I stated staying current is because my roommate and I talk a lot about current problems within society. However, I did not start getting involved with current events until this past September. I think it helps to know what is going on, showing that you are concerned with other aspects of pharmacy, other then the medications, and even the world. But, if you have an interview in a couple of weeks don't push something just for the interview. You will need to find your own niche, I was just saying if you kept up with current events you can use that as an advantage during your interview

I am new to this site. I have been accepted to UH. I was hoping to get some advice on housing. Are the UH surroundings really ghetto? Apartments by TMC are pricey!
Any thoughts would be helpful.

I am new to this site. I have been accepted to UH. I was hoping to get some advice on housing. Are the UH surroundings really ghetto? Apartments by TMC are pricey!
Any thoughts would be helpful.

I dont know if you are on facebook, but they have a lot of these questions answered on the class of 2013 facebook page. Plus a lot of other things that are happening.

I interviewed with the university of houston March 13th. For some reason, I got a phone call from UHCOP about 3 weeks later. I thought they wanted to give me an acceptance after the interview, but instead they were asking me more questions. I have never been interviewed twice before for the same thing. Most of the questions where similar to the ones i was asked at my interview. I was answering questions for about 30 minutes over the phone!!! I got an acceptance the next morning. Can anyone explain to me why they might have done this?:confused::confused::confused: Even though I have been accepted, I am curious to know:confused::confused:. Help me explain this if you can. thanks

I interviewed with the university of houston March 13th. For some reason, I got a phone call from UHCOP about 3 weeks later. I thought they wanted to give me an acceptance after the interview, but instead they were asking me more questions. I have never been interviewed twice before for the same thing. Most of the questions where similar to the ones i was asked at my interview. I was answering questions for about 30 minutes over the phone!!! I got an acceptance the next morning. Can anyone explain to me why they might have done this?:confused::confused::confused: Even though I have been accepted, I am curious to know:confused::confused:. Help me explain this if you can. thanks

This happens for interviews for jobs also, its not a common occurance but it happens. Its usually because they liked your interview and want to accept you but maybe there are one or two questions they have that they want to ask or there might have been an question you answered that maybe they needed a little clarification on.

Remember the people that interviewed you are not the same people that decide on your acceptance. I dont even know who would be on the adcom, because they do not tell anyone.

Hope this helps.

After the last two interviews, will all the tabled people be put on a huge waitlist? Or will they still be gradually accepting some tabled people and rejecting others.. and then wait until the summer time to create the waitlist?

Thanks!

Last edited:
After the last two interviews, will all the tabled people be put on a huge waitlist? Or will they still be gradually accepting some tabled people and rejecting others.. and then wait until the summer time to create the waitlist?

Thanks!

Dont lose hope. I declined UH today. There r probably many people like myself declining. This means spaces are gradually made available. Just hope and pray

"The Lord is the Author of my Destiny"

Dont lose hope. I declined UH today. There r probably many people like myself declining. This means spaces are gradually made available. Just hope and pray

"The Lord is the Author of my Destiny"

Thank you. I'm bummed, but I haven't lost hope. This is my first choice school, so I'll be praying until I officially get an acceptance/rejection letter.
I hope you got into your first choice! :xf::luck:

Thank you. I'm bummed, but I haven't lost hope. This is my first choice school, so I'll be praying until I officially get an acceptance/rejection letter.
I hope you got into your first choice! :xf::luck:

Look on the bright side...you weren't straight up rejected without even an interview like I was! lol Just not my year. Good luck, though!! :luck:

Look on the bright side...you weren't straight up rejected without even an interview like I was! lol Just not my year. Good luck, though!! :luck:

That is true, and I really am very grateful for an interview. I hope you get an interview and an acceptance next year :), and I really hope I'll see you around next year too! Stay strong and positive :)

That is true, and I really am very grateful for an interview. I hope you get an interview and an acceptance next year :), and I really hope I'll see you around next year too! Stay strong and positive :)

Thank you! I hope so too! I am moving to Houston in July, so being in state i'm sure can't hurt! Good luck to you!:thumbup:

It depends on where you look. Most people check out US News and World Report and according to them, we are ranked 51st. I remember I was all about the rankings and stuff but honestly, I wouldn't look too much into them if I were you because this is how schools are ranked:

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a 5-point scale: outstanding (5), strong (4), good (3), adequate (2), or marginal (1). They were instructed to select "don't know" if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear.

In the fall of 2007, surveys were conducted for the 2008 rankings of Pharm.D. pharmacy programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (56 percent of those surveyed responded)."

It's pretty wack. But eh, UH has one of the highest passing rates on the NAPLEX in the nation and 100% of students are guaranteed a job before they graduate so I would say we're pretty high up there. We also have the largest medical center in the world right next door so that's a pretty big plus. We've had the opportunity to meet some of the preceptors for 4th year rotations and I'm telling you, these individuals are the best of the best!!!

YAY UHCOP!! I want to go there so badly! I signed up for my PCAT review course today! Hope to bring up that PCAT score!

It's pretty wack. But eh, UH has one of the highest passing rates on the NAPLEX in the nation and 100% of students are guaranteed a job before they graduate so I would say we're pretty high up there. We also have the largest medical center in the world right next door so that's a pretty big plus. We've had the opportunity to meet some of the preceptors for 4th year rotations and I'm telling you, these individuals are the best of the best!!!

For any prospective students who have concerns about school rankings (as I myself did), I have asked pharmacists I know about it. The general answer is that in this field, rank of the school you graduate from is not going to affect how likely you are to get a job.

From what I have gathered, and as you can see from Achilleus' comment above, the rankings have the potential to be fairly arbitrary. I'm inclined to go with the program that feels right for me, rather than which is ranked highest. But that's just my opinion.

Okay I need some help here. I was offered a spot at UH about a month and a half ago, and I I accepted the offer. However, I have since been accepted to UT, my top choice. Does anyone know who I contact at UH to let them know I will not be attending in the fall? I'd like to take care of it as soon as possible so they can let the next worthy candidate in.