Uh 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UH's attrition rate, if you will, is actually lower than the national average.

Citation needed.
What is UH's attrition rate?
What is the national average?
What makes you so smart?

Members don't see this ad.

Citation needed.
What is UH's attrition rate?
What is the national average?
What makes you so smart?

I don't have that Top 20 Questions sheet right next to me as I'm too busy having fun in College Station. And by "fun" I mean studying for immunology in my fiance's apartment.

What makes me so smart? I passed the last Ceutics exam so clearly I must be a genius.

Dienophile or Aggie07,

Is this true? Not that I'm scared I won't be ready when the time comes but this is the first time I heard of it.

From what I've heard, every graduate has to take the board exam within the same graduation year with only 2 chances (one in Aug and one in Dec, i think?). Failing the second time will cause them to do one more year rotation...right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dienophile or Aggie07,

Is this true? Not that I'm scared I won't be ready when the time comes but this is the first time I heard of it.

Im going to defer to Aggie07, because she is a genius. And also because I don't know. How about it Aggie07. Is that one on your Top 20 questions list?

I don't trust anyone who has "fun" in College Station. That place is a hole. BTW I'm not a tea-sipper just someone with good eyesight and good judgement.

Thanks for all your well wishes!:) I don't know what I would do without SDN!
I'm very excited, but working hard to get all the written materials in! Also, my interview is actually on April 18th not April 19th. Good luck to everyone still preparing for interviews :luck:

be blessed

EthylMethyl, I have to admit that I really don't know the specifics on that, but I wouldn't be worried. I'm surprised that diMEANophile didn't have more information for you.

FredW,
I'm glad you are using your second post ever to bash me without giving any helpful information to this thread at all. I am on this thread to help out the members of the class of 2012 and those who help to join them by answering their questions because I know I had a lot of them last year. However, I'm not going to continue to do so if I have to put up with this.

FredW,
I'm glad you are using your second post ever to bash me without giving any helpful information to this thread at all. I am on this thread to help out the members of the class of 2012 and those who help to join them by answering their questions because I know I had a lot of them last year. However, I'm not going to continue to do so if I have to put up with this.

Agreed. This thread is a "No Bashing" Zone. I assure you that there are plenty of other threads in this forum that would welcome it but keep it outta this one. Thank you =)

Bigomar20 welcome :) Where are you from, what schools are you applying to (other than UH)?

EthylMethyl, I have to admit that I really don't know the specifics on that, but I wouldn't be worried. I'm surprised that diMEANophile didn't have more information for you.

Aggie07, You know I love you. I'm just jealous of your ceutics knowledge.

Aggie07, You know I love you. I'm just jealous of your ceutics knowledge.

Haha, I'm pretty sure you beat me by a question on Hu so I wouldn't be if I were you. Are you super excited about this cell exam that he's not even writing most of the questions for so we have no idea what to expect? I know I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! My first post!!!!:):love::hardy::luck::D
whats up big omar, its your boy a#$% from physics and physiology and former lab partner, well not anymore since i dropped ...lol....good luck on that interview,

what are the chances of getting accepted to a 2 year pre-pharm program that took some ppls (me) 4 years to complete without a bachelors? i was undecided about what to do the first couple years and decided to get my act together. prolly finish up in 1.5 years so total of 5.5 years in college for bio degree.... i just need want to hear some opinions.

what are the chances of getting accepted to a 2 year pre-pharm program that took some ppls (me) 4 years to complete without a bachelors? i was undecided about what to do the first couple years and decided to get my act together. prolly finish up in 1.5 years so total of 5.5 years in college for bio degree.... i just need want to hear some opinions.

Could you clarify your question?

Hey! First Post!

I have my interview this Friday (April 11) at 9:00am! :luck:

Congrats to everyone who made it in so far! :)

The amount of time it takes for you to finish your pre-pharmacy coursework gives you neither an advantage nor a disadvantage. So don't worry about that

hey guys, i just wanted to let you all know that i am giving up my interview at houston this friday since i got into a&m kingsville and it was my first choice. i want to wish luck to everyone still waiting/interviewing!:D

A lot of people take 4 years to finish the prereqs(myself) and some don't even have a degree after the 4 years (like me)
good luck!

Whats up a*%#, haha, how is the good life? :confused:

Thanks, for the welcome guys!

If we are not current UH students, how do we get a Peoplesoft ID?

If we are not current UH students, how do we get a Peoplesoft ID?

the college will send you an email containing your peoplesoft id and instructions on how to activate your account.

Hurray I finally got my Martin's pharmacy book today after so trouble with amazon. That makes 3 of the books for next year. Now I guess I need to order the calculations book.

Hurray I finally got my Martin's pharmacy book today after so trouble with amazon. That makes 3 of the books for next year. Now I guess I need to order the calculations book.

Calculations and FGA should be required to purchase from the orientation website. Did they already give you the list for next year or are you using this year's book list? Take your time, you won't use most of them anyway. :)

Im using this years book list. I was planning on buying the Calculations book from the school.

Do you really use the Calculations book that much? What do you have to calculate? Is it like BMI, or IBW. Are we going to be calculating things like vanco doses for people off of their troughs? Or is it more like, there is a 1L bag of D5W that needs to be 10mg/ml Ceftriaxone, how many Gms do you add? type of questions?

Kind of wordy Question sorry:(.

Im using this years book list. I was planning on buying the Calculations book from the school.

Do you really use the Calculations book that much? What do you have to calculate? Is it like BMI, or IBW. Are we going to be calculating things like vanco doses for people off of their troughs? Or is it more like, there is a 1L bag of D5W that needs to be 10mg/ml Ceftriaxone, how many Gms do you add? type of questions?

Kind of wordy Question sorry:(.

Since you do order entry and all at your pharmacy, you're gonna have to teach me how to do vanco dosing when the time comes :D.

BTW, did you send your checks in for the name badge and patch already?

i just got accepted into another great school. but after hours of thinking (literally... hours!!)... i decided my heart is here :)

No I haven't sent in any orders for things from the school. I am behind I haven't even submitted my acceptance letter to the financial aid people or whom ever we need to give it to.

i just got accepted into another great school. but after hours of thinking (literally... hours!!)... i decided my heart is here :)

Congratulations!! I'm glad you decided to stay here. :)

No I haven't sent in any orders for things from the school. I am behind I haven't even submitted my acceptance letter to the financial aid people or whom ever we need to give it to.

I haven't sent any orders in yet either.

How can you be behind when you ordered textbooks and other things already? :) It only takes a few minutes to turn in the copy of your acceptance letter to the main financial aid office since there aren't a lot of students there at this point in the semester.

Thats why I am trying to stay caught up now. And will be reviewing some material this summer.

Oh If any one want to get in a study group for once every two weeks this summer to try and get a little head start so that the first semester will not be complete hell, Just pm me or something. Come june there will probably be a new thread on study tactics for UH in the pharmacy student forum.

No one ever answered what calculations is like, or what calculations we must know.

Thats why I am trying to stay caught up now. And will be reviewing some material this summer.

Oh If any one want to get in a study group for once every two weeks this summer to try and get a little head start so that the first semester will not be complete hell, Just pm me or something. Come june there will probably be a new thread on study tactics for UH in the pharmacy student forum.

definitely not me!!! this summer is about having fun!! you won't have much of that in pharmacy school

That, you will definitly get accustomed to.

I shouldn't make such generalizations. I'm sure that not all of you will procrastinate the way I often do.
Calculations is everything you mentioned and more. You start with simple conversions and finish with TPN. Many different topics are covered. Tests are long and labor intensive. No partial credit given and all that jazz.

I shouldn't make such generalizations. I'm sure that not all of you will procrastinate the way I often do.
Calculations is everything you mentioned and more. You start with simple conversions and finish with TPN. Many different topics are covered. Tests are long and labor intensive. No partial credit given and all that jazz.

I think I've mastered the art of procrastination :D. I hope to break the nasty habit before pharm school starts.:oops:

If I could do ANYTHING over again it would be to have the summer before school started free without any type of school or studying because you will be completely burned out halfway through the semester and it only gets worse from there. Take a break and enjoy it while you can. You don't know who will be teaching or what topics they will cover until you get the syllabus for each class in August and the profs will all have their own powerpoints anyways. I understand that working this hard is what got you into pharmacy school, but you are in now so just take a deep breath and relax. You will have plenty of time during school to understand the material and prepare for exams (unless you are like me and have a large number of unfortunate personal issues, but that seems to be mostly confined to me).

Breathe!! ;)

So, what are the best organizations to get involved in during your first semester? I'm thinking of joining SNPha and maybe another one. Any suggestions?

Are you people buying textbooks that aren't on that list they gave you? You shouldn't be buying any textbooks that you haven't been told to buy! What is the Martin's pharmacy book btw? I rarely looked at my textbooks first semester, I think the only ones I seriously looked at were the ones we had to purchase before orientation.

And why in the world are you people planning on studying over the summer? What exactly are you going to study? Trust me, use that free time while you have it, you'll need to meet and get an idea of what your professors expect before you start cracking books open.

And why so curious about calculations??? :) I can't even remember the exact details of all the stuff we did, sad as that is, it's a bunch of math related to pharmacy. No calculus or anything, but there's dosing and conversions and all sorts of stuff. You'll get there soon enough.

Seriously, I am not telling you, I am begging you, do the stuff they ask you to do and meet the deadlines; other than that, enjoy your summer and wait until orientation starts for everything else!!

At orientation they will tell you EVERYTHING. You will be introduced to every student organization, you will be told exactly what is expected of you. If you have any questions, you will have a million opportunities to ask. (Please don't ask how to study, everyone has to figure out their best way to study ;))

That is all.

Also:
Notes and profs change constantly, so whatever information you might have right now may not be useful to you later.

So, what are the best organizations to get involved in during your first semester? I'm thinking of joining SNPha and maybe another one. Any suggestions?

APhA-asp is pretty good. It is also a national organization, more politically involve than SNPha (source from a UH pharm student). Both are really good tho :)

APhA-asp is pretty good. It is also a national organization, more politically involve than SNPha (source from a UH pharm student). Both are really good tho :)

Are you a member of the APhA already? They supposedly opened it up for pre-pharm this year, right? I would have joined but my schedule was full last semester. I went to the SNPhA dinner last year and I had a great time.

Are you a member of the APhA already? They supposedly opened it up for pre-pharm this year, right? I would have joined but my schedule was full last semester. I went to the SNPhA dinner last year and I had a great time.

Yea I am a member this year, but like you, my class schedule prevented me from attending some of the meetings. The times I was at the meeting was really great and educational. I'm sure SNPhA is great :) I'm planning to join both of them if time permits.

Hey does anyone elses peoplesoft have an academic advisor hold for orientation or something?

Hey does anyone elses peoplesoft have an academic advisor hold for orientation or something?

This happened to me because I applied to UH for my undergrad but did not attend. I had a hard time with the regular university people because they didn't understand pharmacy, so I had to call the COP and they fixed it for me.