~~~ UCSF Class of 2012 ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! I am arriving at SFO at 11:15 AM on May the 2nd. I assume I will head to my student host to drop off my luggage, but then I am free for the day! I am very anxious to hang out with you awesome people.

Where and when would you guys like to get together? It will be a privilege to meet each of you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have started making my "Early-Arrivers" list. Those who expressed an interest in meeting up will be getting a PM from me soon for ur contact info and real names so that we can all meet up. Maybe some of us will even be on the same plane!

And I got a Big Buddy email just now! I plan on inundating her with questions very soon, so if you have anything that you want urgently answered, you can let me know. She's a 1st yr.

count me in for your list! I arrive at SFO at 12pm on Friday. :banana:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all

i called admissions today and asked about merit awards. none have been awarded yet, and they are shooting to get them out at the end of the month, so recipients will know around second look weekend! :hardy:

count me in for your list! I arrive at SFO at 12pm on Friday. :banana:
Would you like to travel to Parnassus together?

hey all

i called admissions today and asked about merit awards. none have been awarded yet, and they are shooting to get them out at the end of the month, so recipients will know around second look weekend! :hardy:
I've got my fingers crossed!

I was accepted and I am definitely attending! The facilities and being in the city is exactly what I wanted.
I sympathize with housing troubles; I don't know what would be best. Part of me thinks that living in housing would be best. I am excited and a little nervous about moving to SF.
After reading the thread above, I am very much on the lookout for possible roommates. Im clean fellow, a quiet studier, and friendly with no gender preffs, looking for roommates who are considerate, organized... and awesome.:laugh:
I hope to see some of you at second look! I arrive from Salt Lake City at 150, May 2nd. Lets all meet up!

I vote that only SDNers are allowed these merit scholarships :cool:

hey all

I'm flying into Oakland, getting in at 10:30 am on Friday. I'm definitely up for something! Is anyone else flying into Oakland? Or will I be BART-ing it myself?

I had no idea UCSF even gave out merit scholarships...would clinch it for me if I got one, though.

I'm flying into Oakland, getting in at 10:30 am on Friday. I'm definitely up for something! Is anyone else flying into Oakland? Or will I be BART-ing it myself?

I had no idea UCSF even gave out merit scholarships...would clinch it for me if I got one, though.

They're not full scholarships. I heard they are a few thousand dollars a year.

Seems like many people are getting in Friday morning/mid-morning, how about we plan to get lunch/late lunch somewhere around Parnassus in the 1pm range (best time for arrivees)? We can all meet in front of library or something, then head out for lunch (RLMitchell1) recommended a place, then some local sightseeing (househunting, chatting) in the afternoon before check-in?

Everybody join the facebook grp! That's where all the ucsf action is at

sounds good to me!

Seems like many people are getting in Friday morning/mid-morning, how about we plan to get lunch/late lunch somewhere around Parnassus in the 1pm range (best time for arrivees)? We can all meet in front of library or something, then head out for lunch (RLMitchell1) recommended a place, then some local sightseeing (househunting, chatting) in the afternoon before check-in?

Hello. I had my PRIME interviews this week. Decisions will be made around the end of April or the beginning of May. Just thought you might like to know:)

Members don't see this ad :)
on that note, did you have one with a student and one with a faculty? I have my faculty tomorrow...

Hello. I had my PRIME interviews this week. Decisions will be made around the end of April or the beginning of May. Just thought you might like to know:)

I did.

Good luck to you. I bet you get in to PRIME!

My family lives in the midwest, and I see them every 4-6 months or so. This is due more to my personal schedule though than distance. I have found that the Bay Area is actually really great when it comes to getting both domestic and international flights. There are several major airports nearby (SFO, Oakland, San Jose), and many budget airlines operate out of them so if you buy ahead you can find some really cheap tickets.

For those not on the facebook grp, we're planning a Friday hangout on 5/2. The tentative plan is:
1) Travel from airport to Parnassus
2) Drop off luggage at Admissions office (?) and meet in front of the library
3) Lunch (Zazie was recommended by a fellow sdn-er, but they require group rsvps http://www.zaziesf.com/)
4) Sightsee/Get to know each other

If you want in, pm your name, email and/or phone, and arrival time. I will be sending around an .xls so that you can contact your BART/Muni buddies for SFO/OAK to UCSF.

Oh, and if you want to request financial assistance for ur 2nd Look plane ticket, email Felicia at [email protected]. If you are approved, you will get 1/2 the cost of your ticket up to $200.

Hey I heard back from PRIME today!
I'm in!

Do I need to start the class of 2013 facebook group now??

Congrats AAU. Looks like they reserved the best for the last.

I got in too!!! yay for PRIME-US!
I am still debating UCLA though, i really liked it there...! :oops:

Hey I heard back from PRIME today!
I'm in!

Do I need to start the class of 2013 facebook group now??

And I got a Big Buddy email just now! I plan on inundating her with questions very soon, so if you have anything that you want urgently answered, you can let me know. She's a 1st yr.[/quote]

Hugger,
Howdja get that big buddy of yours? That sort of information sounds mighty good.

Is anybody going to be doing research there this summer? Im finding places to live in SF for summer (maybe inner sunset).

Hugger,
Howdja get that big buddy of yours? That sort of information sounds mighty good.

Is anybody going to be doing research there this summer? Im finding places to live in SF for summer (maybe inner sunset).
I didn't want to at first but now I think I might.

Hugger,

You get assigned a Big Buddy based on that Accepted Student Info sheet. I sent it in w/my Intent form back in Jan/Feb. Two people I know got assigned people from the same undergrad, and my friend got a Big Buddy that was also in the same major and lived on the same street! My Buddy's not connected to me in any way, I don't think. And for those of you wondering about rotations, here's what my Buddy said: "I went to a talk today about how to succeed on the wards, and the M3/M4's did specifically say that they feel prepared for residency."

I'm going to be there for research this summer! Even if I don't get the Fellowship, my undergrad scholarship is able to give me a stipend so I am for sure moving at the end of June and definitely need to get hopping on the housing search. My dental friend says that such an early move-in date pretty much guarantees a spot in Univ. housing, but I want to room w/classmates rather than whomever they assign me to. So I may go hunting for housing w/people at 2nd Look. Oh, here's what my Buddy said about Housing:
"I think most of my classmates are able to afford to have their own bedroom, but yes, housing prices can be pretty steep. It gets cheaper for those people that live farther from campus. They find that it's worth it to commute on the Muni in the morning. My rent is on the expensive side compared to my other classmates since Cole Valley tends to be more expensive than Inner Sunset. I'd say my classmates pay between $750-$1100 for monthly rent. The best place to look for housing is definitely Craigslist."

ok, sorry long msg.

so are some of you also roommate hunting at second look?

I just adopted a dog...but I also want roommates. I don't really care where I live. Do you think this will be hard to find? He's very well-behaved and quiet (although big).

LadyDoc, I'll definitely be looking out for some potential roomies at 2nd look. :)

I just adopted a dog...but I also want roommates. I don't really care where I live. Do you think this will be hard to find? He's very well-behaved and quiet (although big).

LadyDoc, I'll definitely be looking out for some potential roomies at 2nd look. :)

I'm looking for apt-mates AND housing at second look :D Although if my FA package is really small, I might look for roommates as well (although I reaallly want my own bdrm).

Regarding pets, for awhile I was thinking about bringing a rat to med school (after working in a mouse lab this yr, I have shelved that idea). Anyways, while I was in this rat-phase, I noticed that a lot of the apts on "places4students.com" or whatever that site is had restrictions on pets. So that might be on your list of questions to ask the landlord

2nd look is approaching!!!!:hardy:

ah, by roommates i actually meant apartment-mates...i definitely want my own room, if i can afford it!

THugger: when are you going housing hunting? i'd like to check out possible neighborhoods too!

Ahh, I haven't decided fully on UCSF and can't make it to second look because of a wedding! I don't want to be behind on finding roommates/apartment mates if I do decide on UCSF!

FYI.. I'm fun loving dog lover that wouldn't mind pets!

Yeah, I'll definitely be sure to ask about pets. And don't worry, nhtreehugger, I'm sure you'll have your own room! Sharing one is something I never want to revisit...haha.

MsJ, if you decide to go to UCSF (I'm still deciding too), I'd be happy to room with you! I'll keep my eye out for apartments. And I think you'd like my dog. :)

I am really looking forward to meeting Ms. Treehugger and Ms. LadyDoc in person (and the rest of you!)

I cant wait to meet you too!

we need to make up a mascot...its no fun not having one! (or we can join Cal and say go bears!)

Yeah, I'll definitely be sure to ask about pets. And don't worry, nhtreehugger, I'm sure you'll have your own room! Sharing one is something I never want to revisit...haha.

MsJ, if you decide to go to UCSF (I'm still deciding too), I'd be happy to room with you! I'll keep my eye out for apartments. And I think you'd like my dog. :)

Sweet! I'm just waiting on the financial aid package to decide. So ask me again in 2 weeks if I'm definitely going.

So I guess you decided not to defer for a year??

Hello Everyone! Congratulations on your acceptances!!! I am a current first year at UCSF and could not be happier. The school is amazing, the students are awesome and brilliant, and the resources at your finger tips are phenomenal. We are all looking forward to meeting you for the Revisit weekend. It should be a great time. Feel free to contact me with any questions you have about the school or life.

Once again, Congrats!!!!

My FA letter came via email just now. It looks horrrrribleeee....

I'm still excited about UCSF njcaldwell!!!!!

But all that debt... :scared:

My FA letter came via email just now. It looks horrrrribleeee....

Word. I thought UCSF touted their graduates having like the least debt??? Looks like SF may not be in the cards after all.. :(

Word. I thought UCSF touted their graduates having like the least debt???:(

This is what FinAid's Loan calculator had to say when I entered in my potential debt: "Wow! You're borrowing a lot of money to pay for your college education. Maybe you should think about attending a less expensive college? "

That's it then. I'm going to need to share a 1-bdrm apt with 6 people. Anyone want to room w/ me? hahahah

Ouch! Im not sure what offer would have made me wince less, but ouch!
I agree with Hugger- Im still excited about UCSF, but I think Im going to have to live with bunk beds.

What kind of debt are we talking about guys? Have you guys been shown the updated FA with grants scholarships etc? We actually do graduate with very low debt...

What kind of debt are we talking about guys? Have you guys been shown the updated FA with grants scholarships etc? We actually do graduate with very low debt...

Yea, I have the fin aid breakdown with university grants and scholarships. Its not too bad but definitely not the best that I've gotten because of all of the unsubsidized loans at 6.8% interest that accrues immediately. Plus I'm OOS, so until I become a resident tuition is going to be high. The difference between UCSF and another school I'm considering will roughly be around $50k - $60k over the 4 years.

Nhtreehugger - I think we could definitely fit two bunk beds in a 1 bedroom apt and have someone sleep on the couch. But that's only 5 people. I guess we can roll out a cot for the sixth person. :laugh:

Yep, my package has poor-people grants and tons of unsubsidized loans. I wasn't expecting a full-ride, but since I'm low-income I was definitely expecting more subsidized non-Stafford loans

I'm not gonna give you an exact debt amount, but at my interview they said the average UCSF debt is $100K(?)...Mine's more than that :(

And MsJ, I call dibs on being first to use the shower!

Damn, yall have me nervous. My finaid is taking very long because I had to appeal to have my father's info waived. Hopefully it will be ready by 2nd look.

Anyways, I'm ultra poor and living with 7 roommates right now. It's not THAT bad. It's actually kind of fun. We can definitely do it in SF! See yall soon!

For those of you who have started to get finaid decisions back: When did you submit all your paperwork?

HA! Ill be that 6th person on the couch! got my fin aid too, definitely not nearly as nice as i would have liked. uggg, so many loans!
:eek:
Yea, I have the fin aid breakdown with university grants and scholarships. Its not too bad but definitely not the best that I've gotten because of all of the unsubsidized loans at 6.8% interest that accrues immediately. Plus I'm OOS, so until I become a resident tuition is going to be high. The difference between UCSF and another school I'm considering will roughly be around $50k - $60k over the 4 years.

Nhtreehugger - I think we could definitely fit two bunk beds in a 1 bedroom apt and have someone sleep on the couch. But that's only 5 people. I guess we can roll out a cot for the sixth person. :laugh:

yea, im looking at over 100 g's in debt with the package they gave me

My FA package is also not the greatest, leaving me with probably as much debt as hugger and ladydoc. But I too am still excited about UCSF and can't wait to meet everyone on Friday!

I haven't really gotten my FA package yet but I did get a scholarship and grant that does mitigate some of the financial sting. But it definitely pales in comparison to Vandy, plus cost of living is cheaper out there. I'm looking at a potential difference of about 40K. Man, second look is really going to determine my future. Wow.

I haven't really gotten my FA package yet but I did get a scholarship and grant that does mitigate some of the financial sting. But it definitely pales in comparison to Vandy, plus cost of living is cheaper out there. I'm looking at a potential difference of about 40K. Man, second look is really going to determine my future. Wow.

40K is nothing flaahless. UCSF is at least 100K more more expensive than the other schools I withdrew from and I don't regret my decision one bit!

Ok, I kinda regret it like 100,000 bits...just kidding, I don't regret my decision. And I can't un-withdraw anyways. :D

EDIT: Oh, and this was my vote for u to go to SF *congrats*