~~~ UCSF Class of 2012 ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhtreehugger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future classmates!

Let's get this :love: started

Members don't see this ad.

Guess there aren't many yet, but more sure will come:)

I work at UCSF, if anyone needs pseudo-insider info--living in SF, UCSF in general, research, rotations, etc., I'll do my best to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess there aren't many yet, but more sure will come:)

I work at UCSF, if anyone needs pseudo-insider info--living in SF, UCSF in general, research, rotations, etc., I'll do my best to help.

I'm starting to fill out that one form where they "match" you with students of common interests. When we ask them questions, we should also post the answers here.

But since we already have an insider (yayyy), here is my first question:

Is it necessary to buy a car (e.g. for clerkships, volunteering, grocery shopping) or is the public transpo good enough for all 4 years?

This is a tricky question, and here's why.

Your first two years will be spent mostly at Parnassus, the main campus. It's super crowded, and even if you are willing to buy a super expensive parking permit, most of the time you won't be able to find a spot. Your apartment will likely have no parking space, and even if it does, you have to pay extra for it. Besides, the neighborhood is old and relatively safe, with tons of stores, restaurants, and bars:D. In addition, the inter-campus shuttle system provides you convenient trasportation among campuses and hospitals in SF, and the muni (fancy name for bus) system is way better than its counterpart in LA. You won't feel disabled if you don't have a car.

However, during you last two years you almost certainly will have to rotate outside of SF, in oakland for example. Then you have to take the BART, transfer on an AC bus, and it takes forever. Although it also takes forever to drive past the bridges and through downtown and typical bay area traffic jams, it's definitely more convenient and safer to have a car then. You don't want to ride for 1.5hrs on a bus/BART/muni through some of oakland and SF's criminal activity-filled districts after you get off work at 11pm:(

Besides, SF is small, bay area is fun, and weekends are long;) If you want to explore and enjoy your years here fully, it's very advisable to have a car. I would use public transportation more frequently during the first two years, but for convenience and safety, and if you are not too tight on $$, I'll suggest to keep a car around.

I'm so thrilled that I can post to this forum!! Hi to all of my future classmates!

Hello potential classmates!!!

I really wish I could say for certain that this is the only thread for me. But seeing as how I'm still an Alaska resident, I'm not sure yet if UCSF will be an economical possible for me. :confused: But I'm currently also applying to the Prime-US program, which might possibly definitely sway me regardless of cost.

But I'm gonna put all that to the side and let's get this Alaska cruise planning started. :laugh:

P.S. I've heard a rumor about the first weekend of May, but anybody got a definite on second look weekend.

This is a tricky question, and here's why.

Your first two years will be spent mostly at Parnassus, the main campus. It's super crowded, and even if you are willing to buy a super expensive parking permit, most of the time you won't be able to find a spot. Your apartment will likely have no parking space, and even if it does, you have to pay extra for it. Besides, the neighborhood is old and relatively safe, with tons of stores, restaurants, and bars:D. In addition, the inter-campus shuttle system provides you convenient trasportation among campuses and hospitals in SF, and the muni (fancy name for bus) system is way better than its counterpart in LA. You won't feel disabled if you don't have a car.

However, during you last two years you almost certainly will have to rotate outside of SF, in oakland for example. Then you have to take the BART, transfer on an AC bus, and it takes forever. Although it also takes forever to drive past the bridges and through downtown and typical bay area traffic jams, it's definitely more convenient and safer to have a car then. You don't want to ride for 1.5hrs on a bus/BART/muni through some of oakland and SF's criminal activity-filled districts after you get off work at 11pm:(

Besides, SF is small, bay area is fun, and weekends are long;) If you want to explore and enjoy your years here fully, it's very advisable to have a car. I would use public transportation more frequently during the first two years, but for convenience and safety, and if you are not too tight on $$, I'll suggest to keep a car around.

So would it be ridiculous to park ones car in some safe, free place that you could easily Muni to and just use it on the weekends? Does such a place exist near Parnassus?

Is it necessary to buy a car (e.g. for clerkships, volunteering, grocery shopping) or is the public transpo good enough for all 4 years?

On this subject. For those of us who will be strapped for cash during med school, this question was brought up during my interview day and we were informed that UCSF offers a loan up to $5000 during the third and fourth years specifically for the purchase of a vehicle.

So would it be ridiculous to park ones car in some safe, free place that you could easily Muni to and just use it on the weekends? Does such a place exist near Parnassus?

I wont' worry too much about the car in the first two years. You can always share a ride with roommates. I'm not a guru on living at Parnassus since I don't actually live there, but if you make up your mind and look early for apartments before all the procrastinators, you should have no problem getting one with a parking spot. Then you can split your cost with your roommates (yes, they exist for a reason:laugh:)

AlaskaGrown, the financial aid package at UCSF is not the most generous, but not the worst either. I'd be willing to incur some financial burdens on myself for places like UCSF. The faculties and research opportunities here are superb, case load and patient diversity are great, not to mention that school name does carry some weight during match, but only for a handful of schools, UCSF being one of them. And...hey, it's California, it's San Francisco!:D

Congrats to you guys. It's a super awesome school so i bet you will be happy here. Honestly PRIME or no PRIME, i think it's a great deal. I am not in PRIME but still get as much help, mentorship, community work, training and experience as i want.

I am really glad that this thread got started cos it's about time the class of 2012 started getting pumped up !!!!!!

Yayyy, more people! 2nd Look is 5/3-5/4 (more info is supposed to be posted on the "Accepted" section of the website sometime this month and mailed to us), so hope to see you all there!

PS: Hope everyone is filling out there financial aid forms. UCSF has the FAFSA, their entering student sheet, AND the CollegeBoard Profile.

I'll be there for sure! I definitely want to meet some potential future classmates, and scope out S.F. a bit more.

For the current students, are you happy at UCSF? What do you like best about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who applied to PRIME-US?

Have you interviewed yet? How was that?

Who applied to PRIME-US?

I applied PRIME-US and will be doing a phone interview sometime in the next two weeks. Will report back as soon as it goes down. :thumbup:

Hey people,
I think that 2nd look weekend info is getting posted soon: http://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/apply/accepted_wkndrsvp.aspx There are files currently uploaded, but they are from 2007, so don't fill these ones out.

It feels like it was just yesterday that I was logging in my classes for the AMCAS app. Now I'm going to be filling out 2nd Look forms! And graduating, moving, becoming a doctor...

woohoo! I'm excited to go to 2nd look!!

My question to you, dear potential future classmates, is this: Why is UCSF awesome?

I ask because my reasoning in applying to UCSF was this:
1) It's in cali.
2) It's "highly ranked" (whatever that means)
3) My AMCAS application is so ***ing late and I'm tired of all of this and I need to choose 20 schools NOW!!

The other two schools I'm looking at both did an excellent job of making me excited to attend, but the Dean of admissions at UCSF specifically said that he wouldn't try to "sell" UCSF to us... The attitude was one of strong self-assuredness (this was, btw, pretty much exactly how Harvard treated us). Now, I'm hoping there's some substance there, I just need to dig to find it... So, why do you love UCSF?

Is it mandatory?

I'm assuming you're talking about 2nd look... no, it's not mandatory, but if you've got any hesitation in your decision or you want to start finding roomates and such, it's recommended.

~~~~~~~~~~

In response to Albaloo's post on "Why UCSF?"...

Medical school choices are necessarily personal and depend on a variety of individual issues: Career aspirations, interpersonal attachments, financial factors, etc. That said, I think that there are some universal characteristics upon which a given school can be evaluated: Curricular structure, clinical opportunities, research focus, administrative support, location, and student body.

For me, UCSF scores very highly on both axes. I aspire to become a leader in the fields of Geriatrics, Palliative Care, and health policy as it pertains to those two topics. UCSF has amazing inpatient and outpatient geriatric care facilities and also has ample clinical experiences for interested students. I'm also young, single, and gay, so San Francisco is an ideal location for me to embark on this next phase of my life. Finally, I'm a California resident, so the instate tuition makes any UC a very reasonable option.

Beyond my personal situation, however, I think that UCSF stands out as one of the premier medical educations in the country. They have a very well refined and dynamic integrated curriculum with truly P/F grading (no ranking). All of the current students I spoke with were truly enamored with the content, pace, structure, and variety of their basic science education. Other top schools I visited had similar curricula, but they were still 'works in progress' and it showed in the level of student satisfaction.

However, the area where a UCSF education really shines for me is in the clinical arena. I think that the two most important factors in a clinical education are access to a wide variety of patients in a wide variety of settings, and being held truly responsible for their care. UCSF is the only public hospital system serving the Bay Area, the northwest coast of California, and parts of southern Oregon. As such, the patient population and their associated ailments are some of the most diverse in the country. There is no better place to see horses, zebras, and everything in between. An interesting, albeit depressing point is that, given the prevalence of immunosuppression in the Bay, it is an epicenter for emerging illness (the MRSA skin infections are a recent good example) which makes for a great diagnostic environment (and a great reason to use PPE's!). Beyond the clinical population, the facilities are great for learning. UCSF runs two major medical centers (Parnassus and Mt. Zion) and a children's hospital. They're also very closely associated with SF General, the VA, and a number of other hospitals around northern CA, so students have the chance to see medicine practiced in a multitude of settings. Plus, because most of the hospitals are public, they actually utilize medical students in the direct care of patients instead of seeing them as a burden to educate. Of course, this is very situationally dependent, but on the whole SF is known as one of the few schools who graduate students that step into PGY1 without much trouble anywhere they end up (an unsubstantiated anecdote that I heard during my interview stay was that the only surgical interns who are allowed to start in the thoracic surgery rotation in Harvard's general surgery residency are those that graduate from UCSF and from Hopkins... nowhere else.)

Another component of competent education is access to cutting edge research. The basic science and biomedical research facilities and faculty at UCSF are internationally renowned, but what many don't know is that their research prowess extends to nearly every facet of healthcare. They are at the top of the field in policy, informatics, global health, and economics as well. Whatever your interests, you'll find world class funding and networking. Personally, I'm not very interested in research so this doesn't compel me very much. However, its nice to know that if I do develop an interest in any subject, I'll be well supported.

While "administration do not a university make", they certainly play a crucial role and here too UCSF is very impressive. The admissions office is very competent, the students 'complain' that there are too many evaluations to fill out, they are completely receptive (almost frighteningly so) to suggestion and change, and they seem to be well liked by both the students and faculty. This is true in a lot of places, but it is definitely not universal. As far as the Dean Kessler affair goes, I think it will be a non-topic by the time we matriculate. Even if they don't yet have a new permanent dean, the culture of UCSF is so strong that it really doesn't matter one way or the other. Personally, I'm excited to see who the new pick will be and hopeful for the new energy and vision that they will bring.

Lastly, the location and student body at UCSF are also highly desirable. San Francisco is an international city with a 'local' feel, unlike say LA or NYC. The neighborhoods are varied and well established, the transportation system is good (not amazing, but lightyears beyond LA), the food is worldclass, the politics is progressive, and it is central to some wonderful outdoor activities (Tahoe, Marin, Muir, Big Sur, etc.). The students, like the city, are wonderfully diverse, friendly, talented, and intellectual. I'm hopeful that if the class of '12 is anything like years past, I'll be in the company of some truly incredible people.

So that, in a fairly large nutshell, is why I am choosing UCSF. Comments and questions are always appreciated!

-OFD

Guys, I am so incredibly envious of you all! I really hope I can join this forum soon! (In March!)

My interviews went well so let's hope they give me the opportunity of a lifetime!!!

OldFolkDoc, thanks for your insights. I'm incredibly excited about UCSF, and it's definitely my top choice so far in the application process. My only reservation is that it's 3,000 miles from every friend and family member I have. Can anyone offer any advice on this? Is it that big of a deal to move across the country knowing absolutely no one?

As far as I can see, distance is the only reason I would decide against UCSF. But I loved San Francisco when I visited, and I'm sure I'd be happy there (I need to live in an urban area, otherwise I'd go crazy). I also got a great vibe from the school and Dean Wofsy, who personally urged me to come (on my interview day, as I got out of his car!). He really made me feel wanted!

Thanks for the response oldfolk! You've even managed to increase my desire to attend ucsf to 95%!

good luck allabout; I'll be sure to keep my fingers crossed for you come March.

letitgo, right now, do you visit your family a lot? (assuming you attend school near them). I live an hour away, but still only go home during the long breaks. However, I talk to them on the phone everyday and that keeps us close. The same could work for you when you're on the opposite coast. Regarding your friends...make new ones! I'm sure you'll meet a ton of really cool -> me <- and of course modest people at ucsf that you will want to befriend. And your old friends will be a phone call/facebook profile away.

In response to Albaloo's post on "Why UCSF?"...

Wow, OFD, you have certainly impressed me =) Thanks for writing that out, I really appreciate it!

The other two programs I'm looking at are also top-notch (and one of them has offered me a full ride), but I think my decision is ultimately going to come down to social life possibilities. I'm not gay, but I am young, single, and not entirely enamored of the idea of 4 years in Small Town, USA.

In response to letitgo, I'll say that moving across the country to go to *school* is not remotely like moving across the country for a job or to explore or anything else. People in your program are roughly your age, they have similar goals in life, and they are going to want to know you... In an environment like that it's not hard to get to know lots of people, some of whom will soon be your friends. :D

OldFolkDoc, thanks for your insights. I'm incredibly excited about UCSF, and it's definitely my top choice so far in the application process. My only reservation is that it's 3,000 miles from every friend and family member I have. Can anyone offer any advice on this? Is it that big of a deal to move across the country knowing absolutely no one?

As far as I can see, distance is the only reason I would decide against UCSF. But I loved San Francisco when I visited, and I'm sure I'd be happy there (I need to live in an urban area, otherwise I'd go crazy). I also got a great vibe from the school and Dean Wofsy, who personally urged me to come (on my interview day, as I got out of his car!). He really made me feel wanted!

you got out of his car :eek: how did that happen? lol. lucky u!! was the dean your host? hehe

My pleasure... I figure if Dean Wofsy won't make the hard sell, I will! Seriously though, it helps me reaffirm that this is for sure where I want to be for the next four years, so much so that I turned down a UCLA interview invite today (kind of scary!).

letitgo:
As far as being far from home, I think that unless you're in your hometown city, it really won't matter that much if your 300 miles or 3000. Granted, flights home are longer and more expensive, but any new school/city will be both daunting and exhilarating.

albaloo:
Glad I can impress! San Francisco, while known for its openness toward alternative sexual orientations, is also 85% heterosexual and a very young, hip city with an amazing array of incredible activities and a thriving singles scene so whatever your preference, its a good place to be.

Thanks for all the inputs, everyone. I've actually been living quite a distance (1,000 and now 300 miles) from my family since I graduated three years ago, but for some reason California seems extremely far. I always like living in new places and meeting people, so I think I'd be okay, but it is daunting moving cross-country. I'll definitely be at second look to scope out the city and meet everyone!

I interviewed with Dean Wofsy and he drove me back to my hotel - what a nice guy. Things like that can really make a difference.

Have the people who were uncertain about UCSF decided yet? I'm just asking because I want to know whose sdn names I need to memorize for 2nd Look :)

Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone cares, but the paperwork that must be filled out and signed for proof of vaccinations won't get mailed to us until June, according to Health Services.

Who applied to PRIME-US?

I finally interviewed for PRIME-US on Friday. It was a lot like UCSF's med student interviews. They set me up to interview with a current PRIME student and they told me beforehand the students name. You can look up his/her bio at the PRIME website, if interested; I would definitely recommend becoming familiar with the PRIME program and the opportunities it offers: http://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/prime/

I don't know if it is the general protocol, but my interview was blind; my interviewer knew nothing about me. So you should definitely be able to talk about what you've done and how it influenced your decision to apply to PRIME. Here's a general outline of the questions my interviewer asked me:

• Tell me a little bit about yourself
  • What in your personal experiences led you to apply to PRIME?
  • What previous experience do you have in working with under-served?
  • What led to your interest in working with the urban under-served?
  • What do you expect from PRIME?
  • What will you personally bring to the PRIME program?
  • Do you have a specific medical interest and how do you see PRIME helping you in progressing towards your career goals?
  • How do you think you will utilize the masters degree requirement?
  • What is your perspective on the size of the program (12-15 people)?
  • How do you think you will benefit from the small-group peer, curricular and mentoring resources?
  • What potential challenges do you foresee with respect to PRIME?
  • How do you think you will overcome those challenges?
  • Do you have any questions for me as a student with experience in the PRIME program?
Those are the questions that I can think of from memory. My interviewer was focussed on getting the interview done in 45 minutes or less. It was pleasant and pretty informal. I hope this info helps. Good luck!

Good luck :luck: Alaska and all the other Prime applicants! But does this mean the rest of us normal MD people don't get to spend time with you guys?

I just decided to go to UCSF and have a question for a current student... I am married and was wondering if I will be one of the few at UCSF trying to keep a marriage and become a doctor.

Also to everybody else congrats and I am excited to meet all of you at 2nd look weekend.

Hello all,

Congrats to those accepted! I'm new to the San Francisco area and I was wondering if someone could familiarize me with the rent costs and living arrangements near UCSF. I'm currently going to school in LA and my rent is horrendously expensive (>$600 to share a room, WTH?!), so I don't think I'll be too shocked by the cost of living in SF.

What are the most economical and expensive areas near UCSF? Where do most students live and what is the comparison between on and off campus housing? I've been reading up on the UCSF housing website, but I wanted to get a locals perspective. Thanks a bunch!

Hi Sodeum! I'm an LA native too and was hoping that living in LA would prepare me for SF's rents, but it seems like it's more expensive to live in SF :eek: I've been browsing the off-campus housing website provided by USCF (http://www.places4students.com/places/School.asp?schoolid=38) and craigslist, but I still think the best deal would be university-owned housing (e.g. the Mission Bay or Avenue housing). Hopefully, current students can chime in about how much they pay for rent. My interview tour guide said that he and his friend shared a 2bdrm, 2 bath apt for $1300 per person. eeeeeek. Housing will definitely be one of my questions for students when I'm at 2nd look.

Housing is a pain. I'm still trying to find out how the mission bay housing works, and will report back my findings here. A good way to get around it is to own a bike and live a little far from the campus. Some grad students are known to do this.

Housing is a pain. I'm still trying to find out how the mission bay housing works, and will report back my findings here. A good way to get around it is to own a bike and live a little far from the campus. Some grad students are known to do this.

I submitted my housing application and the Housing office said that 8 weeks prior to my stated move-in date, they would call me and let me know the openings that I could choose from (including openings that I didn't list as preferences on my app). My friend got into the dental school, and she somehow found out that she was number 1 on the waitlist for an August move-in (My confirmation form didn't say anything about where I was on the list), and she said that a September move-in spot will be really competitive.

I've lived in a university-owned apartment for 2 yrs and really like it. My preference for UCSF is Mission Bay, and I'm definitely going to bring my bike because even though Mission Bay is ~3 miles from Parnassus, the bus schedule lists the travel time as over 1/2 hour. Riding a bike would probably be faster than both the bus and walking. Plus, I saw a link on the public transpo website where you can sign up for classes that teach you "Urban Biking" lol I'm definitely going to sign up; I don't have any idea how to ride a bike on streets that are shared by cyclists, cars, and the muni.

Ariodant, if you find out more about how competitive the UCSF housing is, could you let me know? Thanks!

wow you guys are already working on housing! im not even sure where i want to go yet...are the revisit forms for ucsf due?

I submitted my housing application and the Housing office said that 8 weeks prior to my stated move-in date, they would call me and let me know the openings that I could choose from (including openings that I didn't list as preferences on my app). My friend got into the dental school, and she somehow found out that she was number 1 on the waitlist for an August move-in (My confirmation form didn't say anything about where I was on the list), and she said that a September move-in spot will be really competitive.

I've lived in a university-owned apartment for 2 yrs and really like it. My preference for UCSF is Mission Bay, and I'm definitely going to bring my bike because even though Mission Bay is ~3 miles from Parnassus, the bus schedule lists the travel time as over 1/2 hour. Riding a bike would probably be faster than both the bus and walking. Plus, I saw a link on the public transpo website where you can sign up for classes that teach you "Urban Biking" lol I'm definitely going to sign up; I don't have any idea how to ride a bike on streets that are shared by cyclists, cars, and the muni.

Ariodant, if you find out more about how competitive the UCSF housing is, could you let me know? Thanks!

Sure, but now I'm in need of your help (since when did that happen?!): what's the earliest move-iin date for UCSF-owned housing, the one you signed up for? I haven't even looked into it yet, but I need a moving date like July or so. Thanks hugger:)

wow you guys are already working on housing! im not even sure where i want to go yet...are the revisit forms for ucsf due?

lol when I get really excited about things, I plan plan plan. And luckily for me, my school decision was pretty easy. I've discovered that I am incapable of surviving in any type of climate outside of the West Coast and since I've only gotten into 2 CA schools, I just submitted the housing app for both. It is non-binding, so better to submit it early than to submit it late. And revisit forms aren't due until the end of April, but I submitted mine and today I got an email from (I think) the students in charge of planning 2nd Look asking if I had any preferences for the host I would be staying with (e.g. male/female, mstp).

And Ariodant, I put July for my move-in date and no error messages popped up or anything. But I don't know anything about when is the earliest we can move in. So you still retain the title of being this thread's ucsf guru :D

Hi everyone. I may be going to UCSF as well! It's nice to meet fellow classmates. Can you please tell me where you filled out the housing application?

hi future classmates!
im super stoked about ucsf, and im def. going to the 2nd look. i live in oakland now, and yeah, housing prices suck in sf right now. but luckily im in a month to month thing now, so if i find something i like, i can just move.

to the person thinking about biking from mission bay: if you are not used to urban biking, or sf, i would definitely recommend testing the bike route if you plan on that being your primary route to and from school. 3 miles doesnt sound like a lot, but if its up and down 18% inclines, its not quite as feasible. mission bay is in the middle of nowhere & on the other side of the city. there are way cooler and cheaper neighborhoods closer to parnassus. just my 2 cents...

yay yay yay! im still in shock that i got in and this crazy process is over! congrats to everyone else who has gotten in so far.
looking forward to meeting ya!

Oh no, not biking TO Parnassus, but from Parnassus and take the shuttle to get to it from Mission Bay. A few postdocs in my lab do that regularly. I personally would just take the shuttle, 20mins.

Mission Bay is brand new and close to the labs, with parking lots. Quite a few residents, 3rd and 4th years live there, and MSTP students might prefer MB as well. But I'm sure for the first two years, somewhere around Parnassus would be more fun and convenient. Now another guru from Oakland has emerged, let's grill that person:D

Hey there. Someone who is definitely going to UCSF in the fall should start a facebook group for the next class! What do you guys think? I would do it but alas no acceptance yet.

Don't know how to use facebook, will pass that to hugger.

Hey hugger, I filled out the housing app as well. Maybe we should consider putting down each other on the roommate request?

AllAbout, you can create the facebook grp after you get in, and maybe after 2nd Look. I think people will be more certain of their decisions then; plus, it's hard to invite people when all you know is their sdn screen names ;)

My 1st and 2nd housing choices were the 4bdr Mission and the 4 room Avenue Houses; I would love to have a non-random housemate. Although I have to admit, Ariodant, for some reason I totally thought you were a boy :laugh:

Also, I was planning on getting to 2nd Look early Friday and was thinking about making a list of all the people (on sdn) who would be showing up early as well so that we can hang out (or more specifically, so I don't wander around SF like a loner). I'm probably going to make one after this round of acceptances so that more people are on this thread. Would you guys be willing to contribute your identifying info (e.g. real names, emails) for my list?

Thanks for the help treehugger. I just submitted my application.

I feel so left out. Hurry up adcom! Send me the big envelope!

Are there any current students posting to this forum, particularly from out of state, that could comment on how much they see their family?

My biggest issue with UCSF is that it isn't close to home (I'd always have to fly 6-8 hrs and it seems like there's always problems with the airports), and I'd like to not get too distant from my family.

With SFO, fog is the usual problem. But Oakland is a good alternative, especially if you fly southwest.