~~~ UCSF Class of 2012 ~~~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you want to be facebook friends, send me a pm with your name and school and I'll add you. (and vice versa)

Members don't see this ad.

With SFO, fog is the usual problem. But Oakland is a good alternative, especially if you fly southwest.

Can you use public transport to get to the Oakland airport? I was rather tickled when I discovered how to get to SFO via the BART. (I'm from Texas and used to driving everywhere.)

Also, does anyone know how likely you are to be placed in university housing? I would have to have a 1 bedroom as I live with my SO and roommates would be rather awkward in that situation, I think :).

BART goes to oakland airport as well, connected by airport shuttles.

I'm not sure about the chances of getting university housing, but one's position on the list seems to be influenced by the requested move-in date. One-bedroom at Mission Bay is rather expensive (1K+), but if your SO works then it shouldn't be too difficult. The studio is 700-800ish and may be a better choice if you are concerned about the cost. But be adviced that MB is about 30-40min away by shuttle from Parnassus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! I am so excited about UCSF and can't wait to meet everyone. :p

Are any of you not 100% sure where you are going...how are you deciding??

Well I am 100% sure that I am going to UCSF but I decided based on a multitude of factors such as the type of students I met during my interview day. I felt really comfortable at the school and knew that I could attend school there for 4 (or more) years and be happy. Living in a city was a major plus for me. Also location to my family. I really wanted a program with a lot of PBL but a stable curriculum that is not brand new.

Hope that helps and that you decide to attend UCSF too!

I just got the big envelope today from UCSF, AND I AM THRILLED!!! It is pretty much my top choice! I'm still deciding between UCSF and one more school, but I'm heavily leaning towards UCSF!

I hope to make it to revisit weekend and see you all there. :D

Congrats everyone! I am so excited about UCSF and can't wait to meet everyone. :p

Are any of you not 100% sure where you are going...how are you deciding??
I have no clue where I'm going. I really loved UCSF, the curriculum and the students seemed to fit me perfectly. Pretty laid back, chill. But I doubt I can afford it.

I'm hoping that after I finished my revisits that one school will separate itself from the rest and make my decision easier. But I doubt it. There are a lot of amazing schools and I can see myself and plenty of them. So, I may just flip a coin.

I have no clue where I'm going. I really loved UCSF, the curriculum and the students seemed to fit me perfectly. Pretty laid back, chill. But I doubt I can afford it.

I'm hoping that after I finished my revisits that one school will separate itself from the rest and make my decision easier. But I doubt it. There are a lot of amazing schools and I can see myself and plenty of them. So, I may just flip a coin.

I wouldn't want to lose u as a classmate, but I would definitely say to have FA as the foremost concern. Doing the full-ride thing in college allowed me to participate in activities that I wouldn't have otherwise done (eg useless things like rock-climbing) if I had the cloud of "how will I pay for this/that" hanging over my head. Not having that specter hanging over ur head in med school may allow you to be more amenable to the idea of certain "low-paying" specialties, etc. So don't flip a coin; keep ur fingers crossed for a great FA package from sf!

BART goes to oakland airport as well, connected by airport shuttles.

I'm not sure about the chances of getting university housing, but one's position on the list seems to be influenced by the requested move-in date. One-bedroom at Mission Bay is rather expensive (1K+), but if your SO works then it shouldn't be too difficult. The studio is 700-800ish and may be a better choice if you are concerned about the cost. But be advised that MB is about 30-40min away by shuttle from Parnassus.

Thanks!

I thought that UCSF financial aid was pretty good. US News and Report has them at the bottom of the list in terms of average indebtedness, so I though that they must give pretty good deals. (But maybe not?) Have any of you heard otherwise?

Thanks!

I thought that UCSF financial aid was pretty good. US News and Report has them at the bottom of the list in terms of average indebtedness, so I though that they must give pretty good deals. (But maybe not?) Have any of you heard otherwise?

Flaahless has a couple of full-rides, based on what I've gathered from stalking his MDApp profile, so that's probably what he's considering. The average debt for UCSF is now ~100K :eek: and will probably increase given CA's budget problems. But it should be worth it. It's UCSF!

Flaahless has a couple of full-rides, based on what I've gathered from stalking his MDApp profile, so that's probably what he's considering. The average debt for UCSF is now ~100K :eek: and will probably increase given CA's budget problems. But it should be worth it. It's UCSF!

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks- I think the figure I saw before was less than 80K.

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks- I think the figure I saw before was less than 80K.
Hmm...maybe you shouldn't quote me on the ave. debt. I'm basing my info on the chicken scratch on the side of my FA brochure from the interview day that says "Now debt=100K!!!!" In any case, we should be getting our FA package estimates near the end of this month? Do you know if we have to call the FA office to get this estimate, or will they just mail it out?

Just got the good news yesterday! I won't be at second look (friend's wedding!) so I won't get to meet everyone.

One quick question: how expensive is housing in SF??

Members don't see this ad :)
Very...expensive. You can get cheap housing, but you have to lower your standard. Of course, if you are a bear or a bruins or something like that, then your living standard/expectation is already at the rock bottom so you should be fine:laugh:

Forgot your are from NYC. Then you at least won't be so shocked that you'll find yourself in the new psychiatric clinic for reasons other than a rotation:p

congrats!!!! and i cringed when i looked up housing yesterday...but its worth it...!

Just got the good news yesterday! I won't be at second look (friend's wedding!) so I won't get to meet everyone.

One quick question: how expensive is housing in SF??

Thanks you guys!

I looked up university housing and the Mission Bay or Avenue houses don't look too bad! Its in the ball park of what I'm used to.

Hey future possible classmates!

I also got the big envelope a few days ago and it made my day! Very excited about UCSF, and after months of waiting I'd reconciled to going to a great school in NYC, but I think my NYC dream will have to be put on hold.

I'm excited about UCSF, the curriculum, location, people, research opportunities (esp international health which I'm interested in) and I'm pretty sure I'll be attending.

I am in Berkeley and will be seeing everyone at second look, looking forward to it. Being local is a bit of a drag because it's just across the bridge, as opposed to completely new environment, but no complaining.

I have a question about housing for all, esp UCSF students. I'm hoping to get into Avenue housing, and put July 15th as move-in date. Can anyone tell me how nice the Avenue houses are, are they relatively new? Good furniture? Having lived in Berkeley, there's some pretty old houses around here, I'm hoping Avenue houses are much better than the typical bay area oldie. Also, what move in dates ensure one gets decent housing of choice?

Also, for UCSF students. What are your experiences as far as trying to find roommates in first year? How can one go about choosing roomies (esp other MS1's) for University housing? This is one aspect I wish UCSF would do better - making it easier for us to live together, and streamlining the roommate/housing process.

Any advice on on-campus vs. off campus housing is also highly appreciated.

For people planning on moving into housing over summer, how do you plan to spend free weeks before school starts? I'm hoping to do one of those summer fellowships to help offset rent, and do local sightseeing/fun stuff before classes.

I'm really excited about UCSF, and SO happy I got in. Looking forwarding to meeting and knowing amazing classmates and fun and hard years ahead.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you at second look! I'm so glad I have an excuse to go out to San Francisco again. The weather in Boston is like a never-ending nightmare.

Have people received the names of their hosts if they've asked for one? I RSVP'd a long time ago, but haven't really heard anything. I did hear from a student who wanted to tell me about UCSF, and he was tremendously helpful.

UCSF is definitely my top choice, but it's so far away from everyone I know...can someone convince me that 3,000 miles is not really that much? :)

Also, chemu, I'm hoping to find some potential roommates at 2nd look. I don't like living alone...would definitely like to find some other med students to room with.

I feel you letitgo. I've lived on the east coast all my life. I'm starting to worry about moving to Cali and am trying to convince myself that I will love it. Unfortunately I won't be able to get out to second look so I have no clue how I'm going to decide.

That's a tough move, but I think its worth it!

I am also very interested in finding roommates! I don't like living alone and I am a little anxious about moving up to SF...:oops:

I feel you letitgo. I've lived on the east coast all my life. I'm starting to worry about moving to Cali and am trying to convince myself that I will love it. Unfortunately I won't be able to get out to second look so I have no clue how I'm going to decide.

did you guys (letitgo and ladydoc) put in housing applications for Univ housing or are you planning on getting off-campus housing on own? I applied for campus housing, but from what they say seems unlikely to get housing with a person of your preference. Just depends on what openings are there and your place on the list. I applied anyway and can always turn down their offer

from what I hear, getting housing in SF is a bit rough, the price as well as competition for good places. I guess we'll hear more on this from current students during 2nd look

ladydoc, you planning to move to SF before school (in summer) or just before class?

Humm, I dont know. I would like to move at least a couple weeks before school starts to settle into my new diggs. I am not sure if i am going to apply for a summer research project, plus I am trying to get into the PRIME program, which means moving early as well...
I was going to apply for university housing, but if I find someone/people who seem like good roommates before that, I would definitely just search for a place off campus. i have a feeling finding housing is going to stress me out just a little, :p

I figure i should at least try to get university housing, and if i dont want/need it, i can always turn it down.

AND: Im still undecided! I am torn between UCLA and UCSF--> if you have thoughts to persuade me either way, please let me know! :thumbup::thumbup:

That's a tough move, but I think its worth it!

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess I'll wait until I go to the other second looks to decide. Until then I'll submit the housing app!

I'm planning on calling/emailing Housing next week about a roomie question, although maybe one of you already knows the answer. My question is, what if we find wonderful potential roommates at 2nd Look and we plan to live in Univ. housing. But one person plans to move in July, the other in August, and etc. for remaining roommates/apt mates. How would that work? Will Housing "hold" the rooms for the later roommates? *doubtful* Or will Housing kick out tenants accordingly as July's roommates start moving in? *possible, but kind of mean*

Actually, how does that even work for non-univ housing? Sublet or pay the full cost rt? (I've lived by myself in the apts so haven't gone through this process w/ roomies)

I'm planning on calling/emailing Housing next week about a roomie question, although maybe one of you already knows the answer. My question is, what if we find wonderful potential roommates at 2nd Look and we plan to live in Univ. housing. But one person plans to move in July, the other in August, and etc. for remaining roommates/apt mates. How would that work? Will Housing "hold" the rooms for the later roommates? *doubtful* Or will Housing kick out tenants accordingly as July's roommates start moving in? *possible, but kind of mean*

Actually, how does that even work for non-univ housing? Sublet or pay the full cost rt? (I've lived by myself in the apts so haven't gone through this process w/ roomies)

I think if you are applying for Mission Bay, you can 'book' a whole apartment (2,3 bedroom, or studio), and depending on when you want to move in, you will be offered what is available on your move in date. You would then sign the lease for the apartment and you can invite other friends to live with you?

For avenue housing, the only furnished ones and next to campus, they rent them out by room, and whenever a room is vacated, whoever is next on the list gets it. So it's really hard to try to live with a particular person, or even to ask to live with other med students. Just depends who the other tenants were, and often times people in a 3 bedroom apt don't all vacate at same time.

Seems like the main priority for housing is to have all apartments occupied throughout the year, hence cannot accommodate waiting period for specific friends to move in at different times...

we can use same current students for advice here, but I'm sure we'll figure it out 2nd look

Anyone have info on UCSF's match list this year? I've been searching and haven't been able to find it.

Guys

I am happy that you guys got in. For those that are absolutely coming to UCSF,good decision and for those that have not decided, i totally understand. Especially if you stand the chance of having zero loans if you accept that free ride.

I think you should just keep in mind that you are going to be stuck there for 4 years, so if you think you will be happy at a particular school, be sure to stick to that cos at the end of the day, that's what matters most. There are honestly quite a number of us that got free rides or close at other schools but decided to come here. I cant promise that everyone will be happy here but i have to say that i made the right decision.

About housing, i am in no way an expert but i would recommend that you keep your eyes open during second look weekend. This is how a lot of people found their roomies. After first year ended, there were some reshuffling. Roomates changes, new ones form and some others remain with their old roomies.

At your second look weekend, i am sure you will be able to attest to this but UCSF does an amazing job of bringing together the most randomly diverse and really cool groups of people, so i have no doubt that your classmates will be great. You just have to see if you can top the coolness of the 2010 class (i am not biased :cool:)

You can check craigslist or places4students.com, this is how a number of us found our apartments. If you have other questions, the housing folks oncampus are always there.

A lot of work is being done by the current first year students for your second look weekend and you get a chance to meet your future classmates so i will definitely recommend it if you can make it but if you ABSOLUTELY cannot make it but will like to come sit through a class or stuff like that before you click the "i will come to ucsf botton", you can contact the Admissions or other students you might know at the school so you can arrange something.

Good luck guys. I hope to get a chance to meet you at some point. About the match list, i have not seen the one for this year but honestly and most sincerely, most UCSF students get to where they want to at the end of the day, so they are doing something right.

Thanks for the note, Temmie! I have no doubt that UCSF students place well for their residencies, but I was just curious what the list looked like since so many other schools' lists are already available.

Can any UCSF 3rd or 4th years tell us about what the clinical years are like? Do you feel like you learn a lot? Are you given a lot of responsibility? How is the "pimping"? How organized are your rotations in terms of having a sort of set structure/role for you on the team? Do students have relatively uniform experiences in say Ob/gyn or IM or does that really depend on your team/hospital? And do you feel like you get a good idea of what each area of medicine is like so that you can make an informed decision about what to pursue for your residency?

Thanks!

I also have the same Q's as ^^

I am trying to compare UCLA's clinical years with UCSF's...

I also have the same Q's as ^^

I am trying to compare UCLA's clinical years with UCSF's...

One thing that impressed me about UCSF's clinical years (and immediately convinced me to go there next year) was that it IS the source of medical care for an entire region. Whereas most other major cities (New York, Boston, LA, etc) have multiple medical schools that all compete for interesting patients, UCSF has San Francisco all to itself. It's also affiliated with large public hospitals (SFGH), smaller community clinics, and unique private organizations like Kaiser. Everyone I've talked to has nothing but good things to say about the clinical experience. And it's particularly good for people like me who don't know what kind of environment they enjoy working in.

I hope that helps.

In case you are wondering when your FA package is coming, here is the FA office's response to my email inquiry as to when I can request an FA estimate for 08-09:

"Your financial aid estimated award letter will come after you receive the confirmation letter in the mail. Your award letter should be ready at the end of the month for the second look weekend."

Hey treehugger,

are you still making your list? I may arrive in SF Friday fairly early...maybe we could all get together before the events start...

lol I forgot all about the list; nobody has sent me any info yet. i still have to buy a plane ticket too. I will probably be arriving early on Friday as well, and I want to sightsee/eat w/ other acceptees.

Speaking of which, 2 other acceptees at my school and another sdn-er have already had extensive contact with a "big buddy" (from the Accepted Info form). Is anyone else besides me still buddy-less?

still buddy-less here, but i did get the info for my student host!

when i book my flight ill let ya know, and whoever is interested sightseeing sounds great. i dont knwo why way around SF. Are you going to the dinner Friday night????

lol I forgot all about the list; nobody has sent me any info yet. i still have to buy a plane ticket too. I will probably be arriving early on Friday as well, and I want to sightsee/eat w/ other acceptees.

Speaking of which, 2 other acceptees at my school and another sdn-er have already had extensive contact with a "big buddy" (from the Accepted Info form). Is anyone else besides me still buddy-less?

I haven't got a host yet either. Mine should be really easy since I didn't even have a preference for gender!

And I was not invited to the dinner :( I think it is for URMs and PRIME people. Maybe I can get an invite since I'm poor? I want to have dinner with everyone on Friday too...

When is everyone leaving SF? I am going to book a Sunday evening flight

still buddy-less here, but i did get the info for my student host!

when i book my flight ill let ya know, and whoever is interested sightseeing sounds great. i dont knwo why way around SF. Are you going to the dinner Friday night????

Hey treehuggers/flaahless,

I'm a local - in Berkeley, and will be around Friday all day. Let me know if you guys are getting tog to sightsee earlier, would love to join. I know a bit more about the city, but need to do more sightseeing mysef

pm me if any plans!

go ucsf!

Bought my ticket: i'll be arriving in SFO on Friday at noon, leaving on Sunday at 850pm. Be sure to buy your tickets soon! Prices for Delta and Southwest went up this week (LAX to SFO) :(

As the end of April approaches (when more sdners are accepted and on this thread!) I'll gather contact info from everyone who wants to hang out on Fri, and the native SFers can show us around. I can't wait to meet everyone!

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best day of my life ever, hands down, no contest.

I'm going!

Anyone looking for a possible roommate? Let me know....................... I'm in the Facebook group now also.

(22 female very open-minded, LGBT friendly a plus)

Edit: I am a quiet studier and headphone user. Also clean and tidy. Looking for my own room in a place to share with other UCSF students. No preference when it comes to gender; only asking that people are friendly and considerate!

Thanks for reading my two cents! I don't know any other incoming students!

YAY!!!!! I was waiting to hear about you! So, i take it your coming to UCSF....?:p

anyway--are you all going to find roommates at second look??
I booked my flight! also getting in at noon treehugger!

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best day of my life ever, hands down, no contest.

I'm going!

Hello Classmates! I need some advice about second look weekend.

I am not sure whether or not I will attend for a couple of reasons.
On the one hand, I will have to pay more for airfare since I was accepted late, and flying makes me really nervous. More importantly, it took me all of one second to accept their offer, so I don't need to decide where I'm going. On the other hand, I am afraid I will be behind when school starts in the fall, and will miss out on getting to know my peers and finding roommates. (Incidently, if you already applied for housing, did you simply indicate no roommate preference?)

Could anyone offer some advice?

Thanks!

Hey Guys, I will be around on Friday all day too, would love to meet up! I live in SF so am happy to answer any questions regarding housing, transportation, stuff to do that weekend, etc.

(Oh, and if you are looking for a FANTASTIC breakfast lunch or dinner near the Parnassus Campus, check out Zazies in Cole Valley! I regularly make myself ill over their eggs benedict and brunch cocktails)

Just wanted to say congrats to you all. UCSF is the best Medical school of all time and SF is the most amazing city. :love:I have had such a fantastic first year so far.

Can't wait to meet all of my future classmates and see you all at revisit (we've got an amazing weekend planned for you all :)

Hi All, I'm looking forward to revisit! Count me in on any pre-revisit lunches/activities. I'm getting in a couple days early since I'm flying in from quite a distance, so I'll already be there and will be up for exploring. :)

Hey treehuggers/flaahless,

I'm a local - in Berkeley, and will be around Friday all day. Let me know if you guys are getting tog to sightsee earlier, would love to join. I know a bit more about the city, but need to do more sightseeing mysef

pm me if any plans!

go ucsf!
Yeah I'm definitely down. I have been really busy and I haven't even RSVP'd yet but I'm definitely going. Are student's hosting us? I hope so because I really can't afford a place to stay. See you all in a few weeks.

yayy I'm glad you aren't 100% set on usc!

We're getting assigned student hosts. once you submit ur rsvp, someone will email regarding your rooming preference. One of my friends already received a host and a Big Buddy. A couple of other SDNers have hosts already. I have neither host nor buddy

Yeah I'm definitely down. I have been really busy and I haven't even RSVP'd yet but I'm definitely going. Are student's hosting us? I hope so because I really can't afford a place to stay. See you all in a few weeks.

wow... a host and a big buddy... now I really want to go, I'm so torn... save 300 bucks... or miss revisit weekend

I guess in the grand scheme of things UCSF revisit weekend is worth the money!

yayy I'm glad you aren't 100% set on usc!

We're getting assigned student hosts. once you submit ur rsvp, someone will email regarding your rooming preference. One of my friends already received a host and a Big Buddy. A couple of other SDNers have hosts already. I have neither host nor buddy
Ironically, I don't want to go to Keck anymore. Not because of the school, but I think it's time that I get out of LA. Anyways, I just RSVP'd, and I will fly into SFO around 11:30 am on Friday. If anyone wants to cruise the city, look at housing and whatnot, PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Stay up yall.