UCLA Class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Countdown: 10 days to recruitment day! Woo hoo!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

DrBorisCA said:
Countdown: 10 days to recruitment day! Woo hoo!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I just bought my plane ticket yesterday! Definitely looking forward to it. Anybody else doing any other schools while your down there (Drew or UCI)?

Hi all-
I'm a first-time poster, currently deciding between UCLA and my home school of Utah. Look forward to meeting you at Recruitment day. Anyone have tips on campus housing for married students? I beleive my options are:
-Keystone/Mentone
-Venice/Barry
-University Village
-Rose Avenue

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if UCLA matchlist is available anywhere?

waterlily said:
does anyone know if UCLA matchlist is available anywhere?

yeah matchlist would be sweet... anyone?

Here you go guys...

Bluntman said:
Here you go guys...

How do you view this thing? Is there a word format?

Rebs said:
How do you view this thing? Is there a word format?

Save it to your desktop, then open it with WordPad (comes with Windows).

You da man Bluntman, thanks for hookin' it up.

good matches. many in Cali (obviously) does that mean that for us east coasters who are still unsure if we want to match east or west, our chances are better for matching out west?

WorldDoctor said:
no kidding! small world. i'm in bldg. 50. 6th floor. NIAID. we should meet up before the weekend if you want.

Sure, how about overpriced lunch at bldg 10 sometime next week?
let me know! :)

WorldDoctor said:
good matches. many in Cali (obviously) does that mean that for us east coasters who are still unsure if we want to match east or west, our chances are better for matching out west?

Its hard to gauge that with match lists because you don't really know how many people ranked west coast schools high. Considering that UCLA has mostly kids from Cali, most probably ranked Cali residencies high. Same thing goes for East Coast schools, most match within that area because most prefer to stay there.

Elastase said:
Its hard to gauge that with match lists because you don't really know how many people ranked west coast schools high. Considering that UCLA has mostly kids from Cali, most probably ranked Cali residencies high. Same thing goes for East Coast schools, most match within that area because most prefer to stay there.

bldg 10 works. monday noonish? meet by the doors outside where the picnic tables are? how shall we recognize eachother?

I got invited to the Sunday Brunch via email! It came from the Office of Academic Enrichment and Outreach...Has anyone else been invited?

Members don't see this ad :)
Elastase said:
I got invited to the Sunday Brunch via email! It came from the Office of Academic Enrichment and Outreach...Has anyone else been invited?
I got the invite too :)

Elastase said:

Elastase, yeah i got the invite too.

WorldDoctor said:
bldg 10 works. monday noonish? meet by the doors outside where the picnic tables are? how shall we recognize eachother?

how about this. you can wear a bright fuchsia shirt that says "UCLA rocks my socks!!!!" . i think that'll be the most efficient way for me to ID you. what do you think? :)

nocturnalraj said:
how about this. you can wear a bright fuchsia shirt that says "UCLA rocks my socks!!!!" . i think that'll be the most efficient way for me to ID you. what do you think? :)

haha, wish i had one of those... how about i wear a bright red shirt... that should be noticeable. what shall i look out for?

WorldDoctor said:
haha, wish i had one of those... how about i wear a bright red shirt... that should be noticeable. what shall i look out for?

pm'ing right now

Coundown to recruitment day: 5 days left!!!​

:clap:

Countdown to recruitment day: 5 days left!!!​

Hey guys. I kinda feel like a dick staying with my friends since we're booked pretty solid with med school stuff and I'd pretty much just be using them as a place to crash, so...

Anyone want to share a room at the Tiverton House for Fri and Sat nights? It's across the street from the med center. I think the affiliate rate is like $100/night...so that'd be $50 for each of us each night.

Or anyone have any other ideas for a place for me to sleep? :oops:

Im really curious as to what the Night Out next Sat night involves? UCLAstudent, any input?

Bluntman said:
Hey guys. I kinda feel like a dick staying with my friends since we're booked pretty solid with med school stuff and I'd pretty much just be using them as a place to crash, so...

Anyone want to share a room at the Tiverton House for Fri and Sat nights? It's across the street from the med center. I think the affiliate rate is like $100/night...so that'd be $50 for each of us each night.

Or anyone have any other ideas for a place for me to sleep? :oops:

the school is actually providing housing if you ask. When I initially asked, the lady told me that they'd put us up with student hosts. But if there are no more available hosts, then they'd put us at the Tiverton House...which I got put in. So you can just call em up and they'll pair you up with another perspective roommate.

DrBorisCA said:
Im really curious as to what the Night Out next Sat night involves? UCLAstudent, any input?

I think its open bar at "The Standard"....no seriously I have zero idea

by the way...anyone know what the appropriate attire should be this weekend? casual like jeans or more dressy like khakis?

The Standard sounds like a plan. Haha. Or Chateau Marmont. :D

By the way, of the acceptees, is there anyone who didnt get the Sunday brunch invite, out of curiousity?

DrBorisCA said:
The Standard sounds like a plan. Haha. Or Chateau Marmont. :D

By the way, of the acceptees, is there anyone who didnt get the Sunday brunch invite, out of curiousity?

I believe the Sunday brunch (which I also received) is for everyone who wants to go. It was on our original letter of the revisit agenda they sent us with the Dr. Levey letter.

Anyhow, I'll be staying at the Tiverton House Friday thru Sunday. I don't think we have anything planned Friday night, but I think we should get something together or maybe the students might have something for us. First time really at UCLA (besides interview) so I'm excited about the weekend.

waterlily said:
by the way...anyone know what the appropriate attire should be this weekend? casual like jeans or more dressy like khakis?
Casual. Look here.

Hey and thanks for the heads up that they're down to pay for my hotel! :thumbup:

DrBorisCA said:
I didn't get an email cause somehow the AE&O office didn't have one for me. :confused: But yea, everyone is invited.

I know this is the UCLA class of 2010 thread..but...

Anyone still considering other schools specifically in Cali (i.e. UCSF, Stanford)? If you get pulled off a waitlist at SF or Stanford, would you jump for that chance? I already withdrew from UCSF JMP for UCLA...

Back on topic: I'm really looking forward to this weekend!

Rebs said:
I don't think we have anything planned Friday night, but I think we should get something together or maybe the students might have something for us. First time really at UCLA (besides interview) so I'm excited about the weekend.
I was all stoked about starting the recruitment weekend off right with some Cinco de Mayo Margaritas at Acapulco's in Westwood (which I highly recommend)...buutt...then I found out I have to go to Kansas City (wtf?!) for work and don't get back to Cali till 11pm on Friday. :mad:

<< sooo pissed!

Bluntman said:
I was all stoked about starting the recruitment weekend off right with some Cinco de Mayo Margaritas at Acapulco's in Westwood (which I highly recommend)...buutt...then I found out I have to go to Kansas City (wtf?!) for work and don't get back to Cali till 11pm on Friday. :mad:

<< sooo pissed!

Hey man sounds good to me, I'll get your first round for when you finally show up.

Rebs said:
Hey man sounds good to me, I'll get your first round for when you finally show up.
Ride on! We'll have to get the party started early at dinner on Saturday night!

This reminds me tho...One of the funniest things I've learned so far from the MSTP events is about UCLA's (or maybe just the med school's) policy about buying alcohol for students (us included): There is a 2 drink maximum, but they go off itemized receipts...sooo...a pitcher of beer/margarita/wine/etc. counts as one drink!!! Basically the policy encourages us to get plastered! :D :laugh:

Rebs said:

Rebs (and whoever else staying at the hotel) I'm up for some chillin' Friday night as well... I get in early afternoon.

WorldDoctor said:
Rebs (and whoever else staying at the hotel) I'm up for some chillin' Friday night as well... I get in early afternoon.

I'm down for sure, I'll be in at around 4 or so.

WorldDoctor said:
I'll be coming into LAX friday around 6:00. I'm staying with relatives who live in Westwood but i could probably join you guys at some point Friday night. Have we picked a place and time? Margaritas at Acapulcos does sound tempting :D

Recruitment day is coming up FINALLY...so is May 15th! I can't wait to finalize my school :thumbup:

I completely forgot that Friday is Cinco de Mayo!! Whether you're Mexican or not everyone is down to celebrate Cinco de Mayo; (and my after conferring with my UCLA undergrad friend) I vote Acapulco's for sure. Who's in?

Rebs said:
I completely forgot that Friday is Cinco de Mayo!! Whether you're Mexican or not everyone is down to celebrate Cinco de Mayo; (and my after conferring with my UCLA undergrad friend) I vote Acapulco's for sure. Who's in?

I'm definitely down to hang out with you guys! What time are you planning on meeting up?

I'm in! Probably will get there a lil late tho'. Woo hoo!

rosiemary said:
I'm definitely down to hang out with you guys! What time are you planning on meeting up?

Rosiemary from Pico, huh? Did you go to El Rancho HS?

Rebs said:
Rosiemary from Pico, huh? Did you go to El Rancho HS?
Yeah I did! Are you from around Pico?

rosiemary said:
Yeah I did! Are you from around Pico?

No I'm originally from Whittier (went to Cal-Hi) but have family from Pico. I just know that theres only one HS for Pico Rivera so I figured it was a good guess.

Rebs said:
No I'm originally from Whittier (went to Cal-Hi) but have family from Pico. I just know that theres only one HS for Pico Rivera so I figured it was a good guess.
You're from Whittier! Yeah, usually no one knows where Pico Rivera is.

Rebs said:

They close at midnight on Friday!

DrBorisCA said:
The close at midnight on Friday!

Thats when we stumble to the next place.

Rebs said:
Thats when we stumble to the next place.
I'm down to meet everyone for some Cinco de Mayo fun...I'll see you all at Acapulco's...we should definitely let the hostess or whoever know that if anyone comes in from UCLA, to direct them to the "UCLA" group just to make things easier on us all. I'll be staying in the Tiverton House with an unknown roommate, just for your info. See you soon!!!!!!!