UCLA Class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dukeward said:
Hey Jessica! Glad to hear that you are also going to UCLA! Congratulations! Did I pour water into glass? I guess I shouldn't have had the margaritas :D See you during revisit. Oh yeah, my real name is Edward.

congrats to you too! ahhh...yes edward! no, but the point was that the water was supposed to go into my glass. and that was a good thing :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Which proves that dyslexia never stopped anyone from getting into MSTP :laugh:

QUOTE=nocturnalraj]congrats to you too! ahhh...yes edward! no, but the point was that the water was supposed to go into my glass. and that was a good thing :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Guys, the housing website seems to have been updated for the 2006-2007 season. Here's the link to the Weyburn Terrace Housing/Payment Contract in case some of you that are thinking about living there too want to check it out. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAstudent said:
I wouldn't be surprised. He was my PBL tutor a few blocks ago, and I saw that he was on this online list of the highest paid UC employees. Did you know that Ben Howland is the second highest paid employee at UCLA? :laugh:
:laugh: LOL...that's hilarious. I had no idea. Too bad about how the game turned out tho...that Noah kid is a ****in yeti!

Bluntman said:
:laugh: LOL...that's hilarious. I had no idea. Too bad about how the game turned out tho...that Noah kid is a ****in yeti!

Lol! I agree. No worries, the Bruins will be fine. Can't wait for next year! :)

Submitted my app fo' Weyburn too! :thumbup:

Anyone predict the timeframe for finding out... Was it around May last year?

K

DrBorisCA said:
Submitted my app fo' Weyburn too! :thumbup:

Anyone predict the timeframe for finding out... Was it around May last year?

K
I hope it's not much later than that cause my requested move-in date is June 23rd. Hmm or maybe Dr. Theodore Hall will just let me crash at his place for a month. :rolleyes:

Hey if any of you want to get your brand spankin new @UCLA email accounts, you can head on over to the Bruin OnLine Account Config page!

Mine is johncolby[AT]ucla.edu :D

...god i'm getting way too eager about all of this.

can I apply for housing even though I did not submit my statement of intent to register (SIR)?

b/c I went to sign in and it wouldnt let me...

also, does anyone know when they will start offering scholarships?? will it be before may15th?

thanks.

mdung said:
can I apply for housing even though I did not submit my statement of intent to register (SIR)?

b/c I went to sign in and it wouldnt let me...

also, does anyone know when they will start offering scholarships?? will it be before may15th?

thanks.
No, you have to do the SIR on URSA before you can do the housing app. You can always withdraw it later, so I say go for it and get in the game for housing early.

As far as scholarships, they are giving out finaid package "estimates" now, but actual merit scholarships are supposed to come later, but at the latest sometime in May. There aren't very many tho.

it logged me in, but it said "ur session could not be established. if u have recently created ur bruin online login, wait 24 hrs before it becomes active."

whats a bruin online login? i jsut used the student ID n pin they gave me in the letter (but i did change the pin--but i was still able to login...)

should i wait 24 hrs or call someone? hmmmm...

thanks

Bluntman said:
No, you have to do the SIR on URSA before you can do the housing app. You can always withdraw it later, so I say go for it and get in the game for housing early.

As far as scholarships, they are giving out finaid package "estimates" now, but actual merit scholarships are supposed to come later, but at the latest sometime in May. There aren't very many tho.

mdung said:
it logged me in, but it said "ur session could not be established. if u have recently created ur bruin online login, wait 24 hrs before it becomes active."

whats a bruin online login? i jsut used the student ID n pin they gave me in the letter (but i did change the pin--but i was still able to login...)

should i wait 24 hrs or call someone? hmmmm...

thanks
After you do your SIR/SLR on URSA, then the MyHousing website will let you log in with your UID/PIN. It took a day of two before it would let me, however, and until then it just spits out the error you quoted. It's nothing to worry about...just make sure you SIR/SLR is done, and then give it a day or two.

note: You don't need a Bruin Online (BOL) account setup yet to do the housing app.

Bluntman said:
Hey if any of you want to get your brand spankin new @UCLA email accounts, you can head on over to the Bruin OnLine Account Config page!

Mine is johncolby[AT]ucla.edu :D

...god i'm getting way too eager about all of this.

Thanks for all the updates Bluntman! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
how do u get ur finaid package "estimates"? do u have to call them? or are they sending those out already?

thanks.

Bluntman said:

mdung said:
how do u get ur finaid package "estimates"? do u have to call them? or are they sending those out already?

thanks.
Not sure, I just got that info from Elastase. You'll have to catch up with him to get some more details about that. :thumbup:

Bluntman said:
After you do your SIR/SLR on URSA, then the MyHousing website will let you log in with your UID/PIN. It took a day of two before it would let me, however, and until then it just spits out the error you quoted. It's nothing to worry about...just make sure you SIR/SLR is done, and then give it a day or two.

note: You don't need a Bruin Online (BOL) account setup yet to do the housing app.

Where did you find the MyHousing link? Is it on the ursa site, because I couldn't find it? Secondly, you probably know better than I do, but what are the most popular places to live for the first years? Thanks man.

I also just applied to Weyburn!

(now im in THE cool crowd)

So where do you think the "night on the town" will be on that Saturday night of our revisit?

Maybe open bar at the W Hotel or sandwiches from buck 50? Both sound equally good.

I'm a lil confused...

Are the 2006-2007 prices out for Weyburn? (ie. studio, 2 BR in particular)?
On one site they are already quoting 940 for studio and then say somewhere else that this is the 2005-2006 rate? Has anyone gotten the definite rates?
Hope it doesn't break $1g.

Rebs said:
So where do you think the "night on the town" will be on that Saturday night of our revisit?

Maybe open bar at the W Hotel or sandwiches from buck 50? Both sound equally good.

Ooh the outside pool/cabana bar or inside bar of the W would rock!!! Bel Air Hotel would not be too shabby either, haha.... Gotta love those swans....

Am I asking too much? Ha.

DrBorisCA said:
I'm a lil confused...

Are the 2006-2007 prices out for Weyburn? (ie. studio, 2 BR in particular)?
On one site they are already quoting 940 for studio and then say somewhere else that this is the 2005-2006 rate? Has anyone gotten the definite rates?
Hope it doesn't break $1g.
Yea I'm unsure on this as well. I agree that the website is confusing about pricing, and yesterday, I got an equally confusing housing info-sheet/booklet in the mail too. Maybe I'll try to decypher it again when I get home from work.

Bluntman said:
Yea I'm unsure on this as well. I agree that the website is confusing about pricing, and yesterday, I got an equally confusing housing info-sheet/booklet in the mail. Maybe I'll try to decypher it again when I get home from work.

That orange sheet that came with that was what was conflicting. Hmm... I sent my app in anyway last week so I hope I get what I requested.

I wonder how much of the class is full now (including SIR complete)...

It was nice to come back from my Vegas trip to find actual physical mail from UCLA.. All I ask is that UCLA spends one stamp on me once in a while... Haha...

DrBorisCA said:
That orange sheet that came with that was what was conflicting. Hmm... I sent my app in anyway last week so I hope I get what I requested.

I wonder how much of the class is full now (including SIR complete)...

It was nice to come back from my Vegas trip to find actual physical mail from UCLA.. All I ask is that UCLA spends one stamp on me once in a while... Haha...

Well...the MSTP class is 4/12 full just from people who have reported on SDN. So in actuality I would take a guess and say that it is double that at least. Soo if the regular MD pool mimicks the MSTP one, and if you believe my wild speculation, then I would say that the class is getting full. Hmmm but when you factor in SIR, who really knows, since I doubt most people are as on top of their ish as the SDN crowd is. I do know that UCLA is supposed to have a relatively low % of accepted people who turn down their offers...since after all it is the best place on earth! :cool:

Sooo...I got the hard-copy of the recruitment day info today and for the Sunday brunch it says:

BRUNCH
(By separate invitation, for students who participate on May 6, 2006 only)

I am a student who is particpating on May 6, and yet I don't have a separate invitation...so I still don't really know if this is for everyone or not. Guess we'll find out if/when we get the separate invitation.

And completely off topic: I got my UCLA Medicine sweatshirt in the mail today too!
<<so stoked!

Bluntman said:
And completely off topic: I got my UCLA Medicine sweatshirt in the mail today too!
<<so stoked!

Didn't get the recruitment letter yet but did you order the sweatshirt or does everyone get one?

DrBorisCA said:
Didn't get the recruitment letter yet but did you order the sweatshirt or does everyone get one?
I ordered it online at the UCLA Store. Just click on the BearWear link. I know they might give us one at some point, but I just couldn't wait! :oops: And I guess if they do I can always give one to my mom...she'd love it even more than I do probably.

hi guys.

does anyone know the basic schedule for the first year... basically i want to know stuff like:
monday: 8am-4pm
tuesday: etc etc etc...!

congrats to all. and thanks!

schchtr said:
hi guys.

does anyone know the basic schedule for the first year... basically i want to know stuff like:
monday: 8am-4pm
tuesday: etc etc etc...!

congrats to all. and thanks!
Flip back in this thread a couple pages and look for a post by UCLAstudent. She posted a sample schedule. :thumbup:

Thanks, Bluntman. I was about to repost it. :)

UCLAstudent said:
Thanks, Bluntman. I was about to repost it. :)
Oooo...UCLAstudent I had a question for you: What is the deal with the few Weyburn places with balconies? I assume they're out of reach for us MS1s right at the start, but how would one eventually go about getting one? Are they only on one of the certain floor plans or something?
41521700_fdfeceaf2d_m.jpg

Bluntman said:
Oooo...UCLAstudent I had a question for you: What is the deal with the few Weyburn places with balconies? I assume they're out of reach for us MS1s right at the start, but how would one eventually go about getting one? Are they only on one of the certain floor plans or something?
41521700_fdfeceaf2d_m.jpg

Hey Bluntman, I honestly have no idea. I don't see why MSIs wouldn't be able to get one, though!

UCLAstudent said:
Hey Bluntman, I honestly have no idea. I don't see why MSIs wouldn't be able to get one, though!

Hey make sure to get a "clear termite report" on the balcony before you move into the unit. hehheh j/k :laugh: :laugh:

Some of my former classmates told me that some late comers had to camp out in Dr. Parker's frontyard for a couple of months before the units were available back in summer of 2004. Is that true? :laugh:
Dang, the units look real good except too close to the cemetery.

UCLAstudent said:

hey, UCLAstudent,

are those balconies connected to apartments? or are they stairwell type balconies?

billybama said:
hey, UCLAstudent,

are those balconies connected to apartments? or are they stairwell type balconies?

Good point. Now that you mention it, I know that there are stairwell type balconies in most (all?) of the Weyburn Terrace units. I haven't heard of balconies being attached to apartments, though. I'll ask around!

billybama said:
Good point!...hard to tell from the pic if they're actual apartments or just the tops of stairwells.

Also, but completely unrelated: Does anyone know when the Reagan Med Center is really going to open?

Bluntman said:
Good point!...hard to tell from the pic if they're actual apartments or just the tops of stairwells.

Also, but completely unrelated: Does anyone know when the Reagan Med Center is really going to open?

The most recent I've heard (a couple of months ago in the news) is early 2007. :thumbup: It's gonna be awesome.

UCLAstudent said:
The most recent I've heard (a couple of months ago in the news) is early 2007. :thumbup: It's gonna be awesome.

My interviewer said they plan to make the move in two days. Meaning they were going to move everything in the current medical center to the new one in two hot damn days. Wooh, that should been fun, folks.

Babylonian said:
My interviewer said they plan to make the move in two days. Meaning they were going to move everything in the current medical center to the new one in two hot damn days. Wooh, that should been fun, folks.

It's true. They're going to shut down Westwood Blvd. and move everything --- and everyone --- across the street. I was told that it would be a 24-hour process, but maybe they realized how insane that would be and extended it to two days. :laugh:

I dont know if any of you saw this thread in the allopathic forum earlier, but i though it would be worth reposting here.
I read a few of this guy's blog , then i started reading them chronologically. He is actually a third year at UCLA now. Although he's definetly no humanitarian, his posts are hilarious, well written and honest. Not only was it entertaining to read just from a pre-med point of view but pretty awsome to get a glimpse at our future at UCLA. Enjoy! :laugh:

Bluntman said:
Sooo...I got the hard-copy of the recruitment day info today and for the Sunday brunch it says:

BRUNCH
(By separate invitation, for students who participate on May 6, 2006 only)

I am a student who is particpating on May 6, and yet I don't have a separate invitation...so I still don't really know if this is for everyone or not. Guess we'll find out if/when we get the separate invitation.

<<so stoked!

Yup, thats what I was talking about before...it really seems to be invitation only.

Anyone else withdrawing from other schools already, getting closer to the final decision of UCLA? Drop Drop Drop et like its hottt

I plan to get one of those soon too, gotta rock tha UCLA med gear.

Elastase said:
I plan to get one of those soon too, gotta rock tha UCLA med gear.

First thing I did was buy the UCLA Med license plate for a cool 38 bucks... Bought T-shirt for my dad, cup and decals, but my heart was too weak to shell out for a 60 buck sweatshirt... One day...

Elastase said:
Anyone else withdrawing from other schools already, getting closer to the final decision of UCLA? Drop Drop Drop et like its hottt
Yup. Withdrew from everywhere else a couple weeks ago. No turning back now! :thumbup:

1. Kathy aka. DrBorisCA - From L.A., Undergrad UCLA
2. Rosemary aka. rosiemary - Pico Rivera, CA. Undergrad Stanford University
3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
4. Mike aka Elastase - Bay Area, Undergrad: UCBerkeley*
5. G3 aka. Gee!Golly!Gosh! - From around town
6. infiniti- from around town, but currently in chicago. Not 100%, but UCLA is looking very good.
7. John (Bluntman) - From OC, undergrad at UC San Diego
8. Greta aka Freewater- undergrad UC San Diego, currently living in Seattle
9. doc_doc_goose! - L.A. Undergrad in Boston
10. Jeff aka. WhiteRussian - From San Diego, undergrad at Wash U
11. dukeward - from Pasadena, Wash U undergrad
12. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI
13. redorkulated- From OC, 99% sure

woohoo! Now that I'm mailed my acceptance of the slot is there anything else I need to do (It didn't even ask for a deposit or anything)? The thing just came with the orange housing ap, and pamphlet.

Since it is apparent UCLA wants to keep down postage rates...

Items rec'd in mail:

1. ACCEPTANCE!! woo hoo!
2. Dr. Levey recruitment day letter, schedule and form
3. Financial aid instructions - one sheet
4. Housing - orange sheet and mini color pamphlet

Anything else to come, or are we just going to get the rest at the recruitment day?

DrBorisCA said:
Anything else to come, or are we just going to get the rest at the recruitment day?
Only, perhaps, the fabled "separate invitation" to the Sunday brunch. ;)

redorkulated said:
woohoo! Now that I'm mailed my acceptance of the slot is there anything else I need to do (It didn't even ask for a deposit or anything)? The thing just came with the orange housing ap, and pamphlet.
Congrats on the UCLA MD acceptance! :thumbup: Sorry to hear about the MSTP decision. I know where you're coming from, I think if i didnt get in at UCLA's MSTP i would probably be doing the same as you since i liked UCLA so much, and only had one other MD/PhD acceptance. I know it's not an ideal situation to be in, but in the long run I really dont think it will matter much.

Anyway if you havent already, you should sign up for recruitment day, housing, financial aid, and i would recommend contacting the MSTP office as well to ask them about the procedure for applying again as a MS1. During my interview i remember meeting a 2nd year MSTP student who had transfered from being MD only. So it's definetly possible. I've also asked around a lot at other schools since i was also considering a lot of places for MD only to switch to MSTP. The general consensus is that if you do all the things that you are supposed to be doing (such as summer rotations, going to seminars, etc) then you have a very good shot of switching over to MSTP after first or second year. But it depends a lot on the individual program.

Anyway, Congrats again and i hope to meet you soon :)