UCLA Class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrCarebear said:
Hey guys! Just checking in to say hello.

Also, how does one figure out housing? Where is the application for WT? I like the proximity to campus and would love to have you guys for neighbors. :)
The application is online, but you need to get your student ID # first.

Members don't see this ad.

Blunt- How many spots were there for MSTP in the class this year?

DrBorisCA said:
Blunt- How many spots were there for MSTP in the class this year?
I believe there are 12 spots: 10 for PhDs at UCLA (like me), and 2 for PhDs at Caltech.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bluntman said:
I believe there are 12 spots: 10 for PhDs at UCLA (like me), and 2 for PhDs at Caltech.

Cool, so then there are really 121-12=109 reg MD admits

109 MD
12 PhD
24 UC Riverside/UCLA people
24 Drew people
-----
169 total c/o 2010?

Wow that 2009 thread is chock full of goodies... Anyone notice that someone posted the schedule was M and F @ 8am? Is that still true?

I get so excited reading that thread!!! We're in!! Haha...

Since I take it we are roughly 3 weeks behind from last year (according to our respective orientation dates), does everyone think all our housing apps and responses will also be three weeks behind?

DrBorisCA said:
Wow that 2009 thread is chock full of goodies... Anyone notice that someone posted the schedule was M and F @ 8am? Is that still true?

I get so excited reading that thread!!! We're in!! Haha...

Since I take it we are roughly 3 weeks behind from last year (according to our respective orientation dates), does everyone think all our housing apps and responses will also be three weeks behind?
Yea reading through that thread totally gets you amped about starting...it's like going through the next couple months on fast-forward. I can't wait till that's us chatting on move-in day about going out to get drinks! I'd be curious to know if the 8am classes are still there as well. I hope the housing stuff isn't that far behind, cause even on last year's thread it seemed like some of the people were cutting it pretty close getting everything taken care of by orientation. I would imagine (hope) things will be smoother this year as they've hopefully worked out some of the kinks of being so new.

On a random note: Anyone going to the UC SystemWide Bioengineering Symposium at UCLA in June? I think I'm gonna try to go.

Mondays and Fridays do start at 8:00 AM because that's when we have PBL. Here's a sample schedule:

M: PBL (8:00 to 10:00), lecture (10:00 to 12:00)
T: lecture (10:00 to 12:00), histopath lab (1:00 to 3:30)
W: lecture (10:00 to 12:00), anatomy lab (1:00 to 4:00)
Th: lecture (10:00 to 12:00), Doctoring (1:30 to 4:30)
F: PBL (8:00 to 10:00), lecture (10:00 to 12:00)

UCLAstudent said:
Mondays and Fridays do start at 8:00 AM because that's when we have PBL. Here's a sample schedule:

M: PBL (8:00 to 10:00), lecture (10:00 to 12:00)
T: lecture (10:00 to 12:00), histopath lab (1:00 to 3:30)
W: lecture (10:00 to 12:00), anatomy lab (1:00 to 4:00)
Th: lecture (10:00 to 12:00), Doctoring (1:30 to 4:30)
F: PBL (8:00 to 10:00), lecture (10:00 to 12:00)

Thanks UCLAstudent, that helps a lot!!!! I'm so glad you're here to keep myths from running amok.

Also all, FYI, dropped by the admissions office today and Lili Fobert said that housing information packets will be mailed out next week. I'm not sure if that includes financial aid stuff or not but its something!!! :thumbup:

UCLAStudent: is there any way you can post/link the 2006 match list?

thanks for all of your help!

doc_doc_goose! said:
UCLAStudent: is there any way you can post/link the 2006 match list?

thanks for all of your help!

I got basic info on the match list from a friend of mine at UCLA. He tallied up the competitive residences for me. It looks pretty good.

Opthalmology: 8
Orthopaedic surgery: 6
Radiology - diagnostic: 10
Otolaryngology: 5
Dermatology: 2
Urology: 1
Emergency medicine: 12

I'm a bit curious...anyone know what the "Invitation Only" event on 5/7 at that guy's house is about? Anyone get an invite? (Not me)

1. Kathy aka. DrBorisCA - From L.A., Undergrad UCLA
2. Rosemary aka. rosiemary - Pico Rivera, CA. Undergrad Stanford University
3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
4. Mike aka Elastase - Bay Area, Undergrad: UCBerkeley*
5. G3 aka. Gee!Golly!Gosh! - From around town
6. infiniti- from around town, but currently in chicago. Not 100%, but UCLA is looking very good.
7. John (Bluntman) - From OC, undergrad at UC San Diego
8. Greta aka Freewater- undergrad UC San Diego, currently living in Seattle
9. doc_doc_goose! - L.A. Undergrad in Boston
10. Jeff aka. WhiteRussian - From San Diego, undergrad at Wash U

Hello Everybody! I've made my final decision and i'm really excited about heading back to Cali for UCLA Med! :D

Hell yea...finally another MSTP homie!!! Congrats man...it's definitely good to be done. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I'm so glad that the decisions are rolling out again!!! Congrats to the newbies :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ...

and goodluck to all of you waiting... :luck: :luck: :luck:

So for Weyburn Terrace, has anyone been able to take a tour or are they still all full? I am considering a studio and am curious if that will be uber-competitive?

DrBorisCA said:
Wow, I'm so glad that the decisions are rolling out again!!! Congrats to the newbies :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ...

and goodluck to all of you waiting... :luck: :luck: :luck:

So for Weyburn Terrace, has anyone been able to take a tour or are they still all full? I am considering a studio and am curious if that will be uber-competitive?

Hey. :) The most competitive are the studio apartments and the townhouses. It can be done, though (lots of people in my class live in a studio or townhouse).

UCLAstudent said:
Hey. :) The most competitive are the studio apartments and the townhouses. It can be done, though (lots of people in my class live in a studio or townhouse).

Good to know! Thanks! Are there people who are rejected for Weyburn housing?

Do the townhouses cost the same? And do MSTPers get any advantage since we have to be there earlier for a summer rotation? :p Thanks

DrBoris: nope! As a medical student, you're guaranteed two years at Weyburn Terrace.

WhiteRussian: I think the townhouses are a little bit more costly than the two-bedroom apartments. Not sure if you MSTP-ers have any advantage, though. :)

Is anyone else having trouble with the financial aid page? I keep trying to log-in to the institution aid page and it tells me that I am not in their records. :(

DrCarebear said:
Is anyone else having trouble with the financial aid page? I keep trying to log-in to the institution aid page and it tells me that I am not in their records. :(

Yup, I don't think the institutional and parent form are available to fill out yet...

Elastase said:
Yup, I don't think the institutional and parent form are available to fill out yet...

*sigh of relief* Thanks!

For the people who are flying into LA for the second look, are you guys going to stay for the brunch on Sunday? I can't decide if I should fly out Sat nite or Sun...

waterlily said:
For the people who are flying into LA for the second look, are you guys going to stay for the brunch on Sunday? I can't decide if I should fly out Sat nite or Sun...
Isn't the brunch by invitation only? I'm not sure that I got invited...

I would think that "by invitation only" means that your SO or parents or brother or next-door neighbor's dog isn't invited, but all up and coming medical students are. But it is a little weirdly written if that is what they mean, I agree. But I cannot imagine that they will only let the people that they "like" come to the brunch. Don't they like all of us?

On another topic, do you think that USNews is correct in that everyone gets some grant money from UCLA? I assume you would have to fill out fafsa for that, correct?

Maybe I will call the admissions office with both questions and let you know.

Wha?? I logged into URSA (was a UCLA undergrad) just to see the message mchou was talking about and there was actually new links on there as he said. When I try to go to accept the admission, it says my deadline has passed! :scared: Anyone else have that?

I submitted my hard copy letter of intent to matriculate directly to the admissions ofc the day after I found out, out Feb. 27th.

DrBorisCA said:
Wha?? I logged into URSA (was a UCLA undergrad) just to see the message mchou was talking about and there was actually new links on there as he said. When I try to go to accept the admission, it says my deadline has passed! :scared: Anyone else have that?

I submitted my hard copy letter of intent to matriculate directly to the admissions ofc the day after I found out, out Feb. 27th.

I called about a week after sending my letter to make sure that they received it. I'm not a UCLA undergrad so I can't really check what you guys are talking about (but I'm sure someone else here can). I'm sure your fine, just give them a call on Monday.

So is Recruitment Day more like a two-day thing? I think it might have been run a little differently last year. It all took place on Saturday, with a fancy-schmancy breakfast and an even fancier-schmancier lunch. It sounds like they've added a brunch on Sunday. I do know that the Saturday stuff is going to be different than last year. It sounds like it will be a blast. :)

Elastase said:
Isn't the brunch by invitation only? I'm not sure that I got invited...
Yea I'm still confused about this as well. When I first read it, I thought that it was only for "special" people and didn't include me since I hadn't been specifically invited. I hope that paradisedoc is right and that we are all part of the "in crowd". Has anyone asked the admissions office about this yet?

waterlily- did you get a specific invitation? or did you just see it on the schedule like the rest of us?

On an unrelated note...I'm sitting in Philly International Airport as I write this. I've been out here for a week for work and can't wait to get back home. Guess if I already miss Cali after being gone for a week, it's a good thing that I don't have to leave my beloved state for med school! :rolleyes:

Bluntman said:
Yea I'm still confused about this as well. When I first read it, I thought that it was only for "special" people and didn't include me since I hadn't been specifically invited. I hope that paradisedoc is right and that we are all part of the "in crowd". Has anyone asked the admissions office about this yet?

waterlily- did you get a specific invitation? or did you just see it on the schedule like the rest of us?

On an unrelated note...I'm sitting in Philly International Airport as I write this. I've been out here for a week for work and can't wait to get back home. Guess if I already miss Cali after being gone for a week, it's a good thing that I don't have to leave my beloved state for med school! :rolleyes:

Hey guys,
I got a letter in the mail today stating that we need to fill out the Intent to Register Form and Statement of Legal Residence Form which are both available via URSA. I tried to fill them out but I got a message saying that the deadline to register has passed. I will probably just call the med school on Monday to see what's up.

Also, the impression I got from the Sunday Brunch by invitation only was that it was only for people who came to the event on Saturday. Meaning that you couldn't just go to the Sunday Brunch and skip the previous day.

rosiemary said:
Hey guys,
I got a letter in the mail today stating that we need to fill out the Intent to Register Form and Statement of Legal Residence Form which are both available via URSA. I tried to fill them out but I got a message saying that the deadline to register has passed. I will probably just call the med school on Monday to see what's up.

Also, the impression I got from the Sunday Brunch by invitation only was that it was only for people who came to the event on Saturday. Meaning that you couldn't just go to the Sunday Brunch and skip the previous day.
Yea same deal for me with the letter/deadline-passed thing.

rosiemary said:
Hey guys,

no I didn't get a special invitation for the brunch, I just saw it on the schedule. I got the same impression as rosiemary...that the brunch was for the people who came to the Saturday event.

waterlily said:
no I didn't get a special invitation for the brunch, I just saw it on the schedule. I got the same impression as rosiemary...that the brunch was for the people who came to the Saturday event.
Ok phew...glad it seems like we're all included. Hmmm I guess that means Dr. Theodore Hall has a pretty damn big house to fit all these people! :rolleyes:

Also, anyone talked to the office today about the whole "deadline passed" thing? I wonder if they're starting to get confused as to why nobody has accepted their offer yet. :laugh:

Bluntman said:
Ok phew...glad it seems like we're all included. Hmmm I guess that means Dr. Theodore Hall has a pretty damn big house to fit all these people! :rolleyes:

Also, anyone talked to the office today about the whole "deadline passed" thing? I wonder if they're starting to get confused as to why nobody has accepted their offer yet. :laugh:

I tried signing on to URSA today and the link to accept the offer is working now.

rosiemary said:
I tried signing on to URSA today and the link to accept the offer is working now.

Yay, I feel so official! My SIR and SLR are complete!!

Bluntman said:

I wouldn't be surprised. He was my PBL tutor a few blocks ago, and I saw that he was on this online list of the highest paid UC employees. Did you know that Ben Howland is the second highest paid employee at UCLA? :laugh:

Is anybody accepting the offer to do his/her PHD at Caltech for the UCLA MSTP program?

dukeward said:
Is anybody accepting the offer to do his/her PHD at Caltech for the UCLA MSTP program?
Nope...withdrew my app after I got the chance to go to Vegas on the Friday of the Caltech interview instead. :laugh: Well that and I realized I'd pretty much have to completely dissociate myself from the med school and UCLA, and instead live in Pasadena for 4 years! :scared: :rolleyes:

You gonna do it?

dukeward said:
Hey Duke, personally i didnt even select the box to ask for an interview at Caltech because they dont really have the research i was interested in. A lot of people just check the box on the secondary without thinking about it, and i heard that a lot of people actually end up just doing their PhD at UCLA even if they get Caltech. Bluntman is right, that it would be a pretty big hassle but ofcourse it depends on where you really want to do your research. Since you're from Pasadena i dont think it would bother you to be there for another 4 years :laugh: Anyway, congrats on getting such a competitive position, and obviously stick with it for now and decide in the future :thumbup:

3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
6. infiniti- from around town, but currently in chicago. Not 100%, but UCLA is looking very good.
10. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI

nocturnalraj said:
Congrats, Nocturnal!!! Ooo I didn't realize you actually went to UCI for undergrad. Us OC people should really meet up for a drink or something at D&Bs/Sharkeez/Goathill/[insert OC bar here] sometime when we're all back in town. Do I hear Mother's Day anyone? :rolleyes:

Thanks WhiteRussian and Bluntman!...actually I am on the "waitlist" for the Caltech program :D I am ambivalent about Caltech too...worked there one summer, loved the intellectual atmosphere, but the people are a bit intense sometimes. Anyway, see you all on April 21st!

Btw, I am an undergrad at WashU. Hometown: Pasadena, CA (ok, maybe Caltech is a bit TOO close to home :)

WhiteRussian said:
Hey Duke, personally i didnt even select the box to ask for an interview at Caltech because they dont really have the research i was interested in. A lot of people just check the box on the secondary without thinking about it, and i heard that a lot of people actually end up just doing their PhD at UCLA even if they get Caltech. Bluntman is right, that it would be a pretty big hassle but ofcourse it depends on where you really want to do your research. Since you're from Pasadena i dont think it would bother you to be there for another 4 years :laugh: Anyway, congrats on getting such a competitive position, and obviously stick with it for now and decide in the future :thumbup:

dukeward said:
Thanks WhiteRussian and Bluntman!...actually I am on the "waitlist" for the Caltech program :D I am ambivalent about Caltech too...worked there one summer, loved the intellectual atmosphere, but the people are a bit intense sometimes. Anyway, see you all on April 21st!

Btw, I am an undergrad at WashU. Hometown: Pasadena, CA (ok, maybe Caltech is a bit TOO close to home :)
Hot damn, I already have two WashU grads as future classmates?! You guys better not beat up on me for going the UC route! :rolleyes:

And Duke - as far as Caltech...ambivalence was exactly how I felt too. There is no denying that it is an incredible institution with amazing research...but I just knew it wasn't for me.

Woohoo...I can login to MyHousing!!!

edit: and I submitted my housing app for Weyburn Terrace! :D

Go give it a try guys! :thumbup:

nocturnalraj said:
You cut me off the list! :laugh: No worries, Here i went ahead and remade it and added dukeward too

11. dukeward - from Pasadena, Wash U undergrad
12. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI

Bluntman said:
Woohoo...I can login to MyHousing!!!

edit: and I submitted my housing app for Weyburn Terrace! :D

Go give it a try guys! :thumbup:

ahh this is beginning to stress me out. I'm debating between 2 schools at this moment so I'm not definite I'm going to UCLA for sure. So I shouldn't apply for housing...but if I decide I will go to UCLA later, I don't want to be screwed over with limited housing options then. ahhh!! :scared:

WhiteRussian said:
You cut me off the list! :laugh: No worries, Here i went ahead and remade it and added dukeward too

11. dukeward - from Pasadena, Wash U undergrad
12. nocturnalraj - undergrad at UCI

oops sorry jeff! :)

dukeward said:

dukeward- this profile sounds all too familiar. did you interview march 2-3? gosh, i wish i could remember your name..umm. we sat next to each other i think at both the dinner thursday night and lunch friday. during dinner i think we talked about the pros and cons of being a super famous movie star vs. an honest researcher. and making scary movies in seattle. all i can remember from the friday lunch was that you poured water into my glass a couple of times. hehe thanks :) does this ring a bell? im jessica, btw....

waterlily said:
ahh this is beginning to stress me out. I'm debating between 2 schools at this moment so I'm not definite I'm going to UCLA for sure. So I shouldn't apply for housing...but if I decide I will go to UCLA later, I don't want to be screwed over with limited housing options then. ahhh!! :scared:
The housing app fee is only $30, and you don't have to sign anything until they actually make you an offer. I say go for it to be safe. :thumbup:

Hey Jessica! Glad to hear that you are also going to UCLA! Congratulations! Did I pour water into glass? I guess I shouldn't have had the margaritas :D See you during revisit. Oh yeah, my real name is Edward.

nocturnalraj said:
dukeward- this profile sounds all too familiar. did you interview march 2-3? gosh, i wish i could remember your name..umm. we sat next to each other i think at both the dinner thursday night and lunch friday. during dinner i think we talked about the pros and cons of being a super famous movie star vs. an honest researcher. and making scary movies in seattle. all i can remember from the friday lunch was that you poured water into my glass a couple of times. hehe thanks :) does this ring a bell? im jessica, btw....