UBC Pre-pharmacy 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's a link telling you which classes need to be completed in which year

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,213,397,393

Basically, everything except BIOC 300 has to be completed in year 1 of the program. Biochem has to be completed by the end of 2nd year.

If you can't quite squeeze them all into the fall/winter semester, you can take some classes in the summer after first year, but note that you will NOT be promoted to 2nd year until all the required 1st year courses are completed. What that means is you will register later than your classmates who have been promoted (which in the end isn't tooo big a deal, depending on how picky you are about your schedule, since the schedules are a STT that only vary in 2 classes).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hm, does anyone here who got the rejection here share similar stats as I do?

pharm pre-req gpa: 79.9
pcat: 99
interview: felt like I aced it

Extremely bitter now... but congrats to those who got in!

Someone I know was rejected this year with 84% GPA and 99% PCAT.

You don't need cell biology or w.e biology (bio 200?) for ANAT 390.

I did 390 and it was pretty easy, just memorization. This having only done first year biology, and trust me, i'm not "smart". Just put the time for memorizing and its really straightforward. Lots of easy concepts, just a lot of it.

Agreed. I did take cell bio (200) before taking Anat 390, but by the time I actually did Anat 390, I'd forgotten almost everything from cell bio and I still got an easy A. I have heard that some changes have been made to Anat 390, so you may want to double check with ppl who took it this past school year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, does anyone here who got the rejection here share similar stats as I do?

pharm pre-req gpa: 79.9
pcat: 99
interview: felt like I aced it

Extremely bitter now... but congrats to those who got in!

i dont think PCAT matters a lot anyways. you can pretty much ignore that factor once you get interviewed. (i heard from various sources that it is only 10% or less)

i guess GPA worth a lot, since it's 50%, every 2% from your GPA is going to cost you 1% for the admission.
So, despite a good interview, you might have started 3,4% below other candidates. so, it's hard to chase up. (if interview is 33%, then that 3,4% is going to cost you 10% on your interview score.)

I guess all you need to do is study hard-core style for the pre-requisites that you haven't taken.

I'm from Vancouver... :(

You see, I would not be this upset if I could pinpoint what I should work on for the next cycle. I thought that it could be my EC, but since I got the interview, I know that EC could not have been the contributing factor. It could not be my academic experience since I got pretty decent grades (79.9% + pcat of 99) and my B.Sc. in cell bio (which I thought could have helped me).

So I'm thinking that maybe my interviewers thought my responses were BS, but if you guys were to ask me if I would change anything, I swear I would give the same responses again since everything I said was based on my personal experience and I did NOT exaggerate anything and justified my decisions as adequately as possible. In fact, I was surprised that this turned out to be the best interview I've ever done, where I thought I'd given pretty smooth and insightful answers to most (8 or 9) of the questions. But I'm even more surprised of the outcome.... I'd be laughing and crying if they really thought I was BSing :mad:

So, the best I could do now really, heh, is e-mail Margaret and hopefully she can give me detailed feedback.

I'm really lost and frustrated right now, so can anyone give me some honest feedback?

Thanks everyone, and I really appreciate your help!

really, i believe majority of us were actually BSing anyways. at least i was.

Just got the good news from UBC as well. Can now leave for a nice vacation as soon as I sign my new appartment lease. Is anyone looking for a roomate???

I found a nice place (approximately 20min by bus from UBC, hardwood floors, lots of place, potential underground parking, large garden with pond and swimming pool) that I would like to share for 700-800/month.

Please email me at [email protected] for details in interested.

Thanks.

I just officially accepted my offer of admission on the SSC but it still doesn't show BSCP as my program yet.

I just officially accepted my offer of admission on the SSC but it still doesn't show BSCP as my program yet.

OMG! i had no idea there was such a button! hahah thanks for posting! :D and i checked out the fb page. i didn't think ppl would reveal who they are on sdn!! =P

and the change in program doesn't appear right away. apparently my friend's didn't change till really late last yr. and i think another reason is b/c the reg date for the pharm courses hasn't started yet.

I'm from Vancouver... :(

You see, I would not be this upset if I could pinpoint what I should work on for the next cycle. I thought that it could be my EC, but since I got the interview, I know that EC could not have been the contributing factor. It could not be my academic experience since I got pretty decent grades (79.9% + pcat of 99) and my B.Sc. in cell bio (which I thought could have helped me).

So I'm thinking that maybe my interviewers thought my responses were BS, but if you guys were to ask me if I would change anything, I swear I would give the same responses again since everything I said was based on my personal experience and I did NOT exaggerate anything and justified my decisions as adequately as possible. In fact, I was surprised that this turned out to be the best interview I've ever done, where I thought I'd given pretty smooth and insightful answers to most (8 or 9) of the questions. But I'm even more surprised of the outcome.... I'd be laughing and crying if they really thought I was BSing :mad:

So, the best I could do now really, heh, is e-mail Margaret and hopefully she can give me detailed feedback.

I'm really lost and frustrated right now, so can anyone give me some honest feedback?

Thanks everyone, and I really appreciate your help!

Aww... I'm in a similar boat with you... sigh.. looks like another dreadful year to wait out. This is my second time with the interview process, and I'm shocked since I was so close last year. Must mean MMI isn't my thing...

Congrats to everyone who got in :) Just a question, for you guys... how did your interviews goes in terms of the questions? Is it better to talk for a full 7 minutes...or were there a lot of follow up questions? Is there a certain way the questions should be answered?

Hey - umm where under the SSC did you accept your offer? I cant seem to be able to find it in there. I also don't have BSCP in my program either..

EDIT: lol
its under admissions->application status just found it

Hey - umm where under the SSC did you accept your offer? I cant seem to be able to find it in there. I also don't have BSCP in my program either..

EDIT: lol
its under my application just found it

right after you log into SSC, click on "Admissions" on the left corner. it'll take a few secs to load, so be patient and then click I accept

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,
I am new to this thread and would like to apply to pharmacy next year. I am wondering if those of you who have been accepted this year could share how you prepared for the PCAT in terms of which books you used to prep for the bio, chem, and math sections. For the vocab/reading comprehension section, I'm guessing that reading lots is the way to go. Would any of you recommend using the Kaplan lesson books from the actual Kaplan course (not the ones that you buy from the bookstore). Did anyone take the Kaplan course and find it helpful? I have heard of Dr. Collins pcat books but they are not available in Canada. Wondering if any of you have the Dr.Collins books and want to sell them? I am having trouble with the pcat (standardized exams) and would appreciate your advice on how to tackle the pcat. Wondering if you can also suggest some strategies for taking the test? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks =)

Hey guys, just got my acceptance letter. Congrats everyone!!! To the people who didnt get in, dont give up! Last year I got a 46 on my PCAT and never thought I would have a chance.

See you guys in the fall :)

Hi,
I'm wondering how you approached the pcat the second time around having scored 46 on your last pcat. That is truly impressive for having such a comeback and also making it into pharmacy the year after. I am wondering if you can share how you studied for the pcat (using which books or other ways) to obtain a much higher score? I am feeling the same way that you felt last year, that I don't even have a chance

Hey guys! Congrats on all those who got in!

I applied but my composite PCAT was 2% below the 65 cutoff (dang, shouldnt have waited until January last minute to take it).

I am just wondering what the stats of those who got in are like? I am from Ontario, btw. I know that makes it harder.

Thanks!!!

dudesss take ALL you can in first year truuuuust me.. first year is basically like general technician training.
I have done EVERYTHING except anat/phyl and the ONE phar elective and I amsoooooooo glad I dont have to do o/biochem or anyyything else.. im actually even taking an extra course a semester (just a language one cause i looove languages) in order to prepare myself for the hell to come in 2nd and 3rd year.
i was wondering this as well?

Omggggggggggggg

i got in guys
i didnt get an email but i got an offer on ssc!
I paid my $100 and just ecstatic! Thank you everyone!

I think this is the happiest day of my life

Hi there,
I am new to this thread and would like to apply to pharmacy next year. I am wondering if those of you who have been accepted this year could share how you prepared for the PCAT in terms of which books you used to prep for the bio, chem, and math sections. For the vocab/reading comprehension section, I'm guessing that reading lots is the way to go. Would any of you recommend using the Kaplan lesson books from the actual Kaplan course (not the ones that you buy from the bookstore). Did anyone take the Kaplan course and find it helpful? I have heard of Dr. Collins pcat books but they are not available in Canada. Wondering if any of you have the Dr.Collins books and want to sell them? I am having trouble with the pcat (standardized exams) and would appreciate your advice on how to tackle the pcat. Wondering if you can also suggest some strategies for taking the test? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks =)

I wrote the PCAT more than once, and I took the Kaplan course to prepare the first time. Personally I didn't find it very useful (lots of material covered in each class, and the teacher wasn't all that great). The second time I wrote it, I prepared on my own using the Kaplan book that u can buy at any bookstore for the math, bio, physical chem and reading comp sections. The organic chem section in this book, however, is really lacking. I highly recommend using the LESSON book (not the course book, which is wayyy too detailed) from the course (if u can somehow get ur hands on one, maybe from a friend who took the course?). The reading comp/vocab section isn't something u can really "study" for and drastically improve on in a few months. I do recommend doing more reading to build speed though. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Hi,
I'm wondering how you approached the pcat the second time around having scored 46 on your last pcat. That is truly impressive for having such a comeback and also making it into pharmacy the year after. I am wondering if you can share how you studied for the pcat (using which books or other ways) to obtain a much higher score? I am feeling the same way that you felt last year, that I don't even have a chance

Hey dont give up! the reason i bombed it hard was because when I first wrote it I hadnt even done a whole year of university yet, so there was stuff on it that I had never seen before. It is good to have a whole year of sciences under your belt and also second year ochem. Second time around I still bombed the english parts and its even my first language (like under 50 percentile on both sections) but the math/bio/chem was pretty easy. Buy the kaplan book and both practice tests!!! the practice tests helped me the most and there even seemed to be similar questions on the actual exam. Have you already done it once?

Omggggggggggggg

i got in guys

That's wonderful! I'm so happy for you!

Omggggggggggggg

i got in guys

hey congrats!! please tell me how that works! haha! I'm not understanding what made you go to the ssc without an email from margaret. Is this legit? maybe I better check my ssc! Please explain! thanks and congrats once again.:thumbup:

Omggggggggggggg

i got in guys

OMFG congrats ksksks, the email address you provided UBC upon registration must have been wrong or something, NICE.

Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those who will be applying again. For those who have pharmacy volunteer experience, how did you become a volunteer? How/where did you hear about the opening?

Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those who will be applying again. For those who have pharmacy volunteer experience, how did you become a volunteer? How/where did you hear about the opening?

My recommendation is to not go for large pharmacy or grocer chains, because they would likely be worried about liability issues.

What I did a year ago, was go search up every small pharmacy near where I lived. Then bring my resume and go visit them systematically until a place would take me.

If in the end you are unable to find one, you can also ask to shadow a pharmacist, which can also be something to outline in your application. The main benefits from the volunteering is valuable insight on profession, as well as references that hold more weight.

Ultimately, a lot of people get in with zero pharmacy experience, so no worries as long as your gpa is decent and you can express yourself well during interviews.

Hey dont give up! the reason i bombed it hard was because when I first wrote it I hadnt even done a whole year of university yet, so there was stuff on it that I had never seen before. It is good to have a whole year of sciences under your belt and also second year ochem. Second time around I still bombed the english parts and its even my first language (like under 50 percentile on both sections) but the math/bio/chem was pretty easy. Buy the kaplan book and both practice tests!!! the practice tests helped me the most and there even seemed to be similar questions on the actual exam. Have you already done it once?

which practice tests and where can one buy them?

Hi guys, congrats to those who got in! Those of you who didn't, don't give up!

If anybody is looking for a pharmacy position, they could try Remedys Rx on Main and 29th.

Is bioc 300 a really hard course? I was thinking of taking it first year as I have already taken some of the required first year courses. I've heard that it's a good idea to take it in first year because second year is apparently way harder. Does anyone here agree with this? UBCmicrobi??

Omggggggggggggg

i got in guys

Congrats! Now this reminds me to accept my offer on ssc :)

Is bioc 300 a really hard course? I was thinking of taking it first year as I have already taken some of the required first year courses. I've heard that it's a good idea to take it in first year because second year is apparently way harder. Does anyone here agree with this? UBCmicrobi??

Yup, I have a friend whose average is around 90% (if that makes a difference - but she is a genius) and she said that it was probably one of the most hardest courses at UBC she's ever taken. Though, she took Bioc 302, it's still the same as Bioc 300.

thank you so much everyone :)
i will finally be able to sleep like a baby

yes take BIOC300 in your first year
I heard its a pain if u have to take it in 2nd year

Last edited:

As long as your course load isn't too heavy, I'd definitely recommend taking it in 1st year or the summer after first year. I never took BIOC 300 (I did BIOC 302 plus a 2nd year biochem course at Langara), but I was silently mocking all my poor classmates who were taking it during 2nd year. Trust me, you'll be soooo glad that you don't have to worry about Bioc when you have 7 pharmacy exams to study for!

DOOOO ITTTTTTT
i did two full years before i got in and this summer i took bioc 302 ( i went the biol 200 and bioc 302 route) so now 2nd year i have nothign but phar courses. for me, biochem requires all of my efforts and concentration and i just need to immerse myself in it (hense why i took it in the summer) so the more time you can put into it the better... which WONT be 2nd year

Omggggggggggggg

i got in guys

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Best of luck with everything and I look forward to meeting you in September! :D

Actually you won't be able to take it during first year because of timetable conflicts, But you can either do it this summer, next summer, or during second year.

I still didnt receive an email but I did receive a phone call msg from Margaret saying "xx, please call me back at...." and her voice sounded pretty optimistic LOL (wtv that means) so I just randomly checked SSC and there it was.

Maybe someone didnt accept and they took me in from the waitlist? Or they blotched with my email. I will call her later and ask

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Best of luck with everything and I look forward to meeting you in September! :D

THANK YOU SO MUCH chicolate :D I hope to meet all of you in September!

(Or before that~ I am thining of holding a BBQ celebration around late July at a beach/park) anyone want to join? We could discuss a lot of things and I heard many of our courses require immense teamwork so getting to know each other better might be the first step

I still didnt receive an email but I did receive a phone call msg from Margaret saying "xx, please call me back at...." and her voice sounded pretty optimistic LOL (wtv that means) so I just randomly checked SSC and there it was.

Maybe someone didnt accept and they took me in from the waitlist? Or they blotched with my email. I will call her later and ask

The voicemail from Margaret plus the SSC status is a good sign! Definitely call her first thing in the morning!!!!!!

thanks for the bioc300 input. another question. Is anyone else having a problem accpeting the offer on ssc. Then i try to accept it tells me Your acceptance deposit amount is not ready, please return tomorrow to accept your offer.is anyone else having this problem?

did you pay your 100$ registration deposit? thats my guess at what teh issue is
thanks for the bioc300 input. another question. Is anyone else having a problem accpeting the offer on ssc. Then i try to accept it tells me Your acceptance deposit amount is not ready, please return tomorrow to accept your offer.is anyone else having this problem?
also

BIG HUGE CONGRATS TO KSKSKS!!! that is such a sweet and touching story man i was relieved to get my email yesterday you must be SUPERRRRRRRR DUPERRRRRRRRRR relieved i cant even fathom.
bbq sounds delightful!
i have a good feeling about this class everyone seems super nice and passionate about pharmacy which is really great. i have never been so excited to start school EVER

yes congrats ksksks!!!!! so exciting!!!

-also, this may sound stupid, but how do i pay my registration deposit?

BIG CONGRATS TO KSKSKS!!
good job mann!! i just checked my ssc too; it says application under review :(
hopefully me n bcpharmer (i believe?) get lucky like u too and get ot offers soon :)

BIG CONGRATS TO KSKSKS!!
good job mann!! i just checked my ssc too; it says application under review :(
hopefully me n bcpharmer (i believe?) get lucky like u too and get ot offers soon :)
Yes thanks ...I hope we both get good news soon, i am sure there are a few more waiting also.Goodpharmacist is this your first time applying?:luck:

dont worry too much guys.
Good news will eventually come. I heard UBC will be slightly increasing their enrollment by 5-6 spots this year (Heard from one of the 4th year students)

I will keep all of you guys in my prayers.

thats good to hear! I wish i could press the hired button as well! haha! i bet you are relieved!:)