UBC Pre-pharmacy 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@bcpharmer
no man i kinda didnt realli care last yr. walked into pcat with 5 days of studyin thinking its gnna b easy and ofc with one semester uni background and SUCH HARD PREPARTION FOR PCAT :)p), i got a realli low pcat mark; got 37 lemme tell u lol
but this yr i dont think i was lacking in any area exceptpcat being lil low (in 70sss)
but i guess that didnt matter after the interview...my avg was 83ish spent enormous amount of time on application; proud of my personal essays tbh!!
walked out of the interview jumpin up n down cuz i seriously thought i was in!!!!!

but guess not :( still prayin to god n waitin for that gud news :D
dunt wanna go to u of t :(

did you get a U of T offer? congrats if you did! Its my first time applying and I've finished two years of university. My avg. is 80 and my PCAT is another story! haha! my application was awesome, i thought! experience at two differents pharmacy locations for a couple years now and also at a hospital. I also have a lot of other volunteer besides this. I have a lot of first aid certifications and played tons of sports. My LORs were awesome, one from a pharmacist and one from my job. Also thought my personal statements were very good as well! Then again this is just my opinion. haha! I also came out of the interview smiling thinking that I did a good job. I'm far from shy, thats for sure! haha! ksksks gave us some hope, having heard that there was a small increase in spots, so hopefully today we can click the hired button on the ssc. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if I accept my offer, whether or not my old specialization would be dropped and the courses along with it?

Congrats ksksks!!

Did you guys all get your registration dates yet? Mine's July 12!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if I accept my offer, whether or not my old specialization would be dropped and the courses along with it?
Sorry for double posting, but I think you are still in your old specialization. When you go to the course registration page and click on My Program, you should have two options- BSCP and your old program and you can pick either one for registration. Not sure if that answers your question though...

Yes I'm very excited to meet everyone :D
I got my regs date too.. mines July 13 ~ I have already regs in my electives

I'm wondering if I need to "drop" my specializations now or will they automatically be dropped once i switched my program to BSCP on tuesday?

yes congrats ksksks!!!!! so exciting!!!

-also, this may sound stupid, but how do i pay my registration deposit?

Yes I'm very excited to meet everyone :D
I got my regs date too.. mines July 13 ~ I have already regs in my electives

I'm wondering if I need to "drop" my specializations now or will they automatically be dropped once i switched my program to BSCP on tuesday?
In the first file that Margaret sent in the email, I think it said you have to drop your electives and re-register them with your BSCP eligibility.

In the first file that Margaret sent in the email, I think it said you have to drop your electives and re-register them with your BSCP eligibility.

yeah...

But I had them there already so... I'll leave it there for now :)
Ohh I can't wait for September! lol
This is a whole new feeling. I actually WANT to go to school.

Oh and BBQ sounds awesome ! I love the weather right now - SO SUNNY:love:

Hi,
You guys that got PCAT 90+:
what sources you were studying from? kaplan?ur notes? kaplan course?
thanks

So I took chem 233, 235, MICB 202. Stat 200 already in second year, and I'm exempt from those by loads.

And I already took bio 201, which I guess means I don't have to take BIOC 300.

now I'm stuck with only 24 credits for first year pharm.

It would be great if someone could suggest a course or elective that I should take in first year.

Hey dont give up! the reason i bombed it hard was because when I first wrote it I hadnt even done a whole year of university yet, so there was stuff on it that I had never seen before. It is good to have a whole year of sciences under your belt and also second year ochem. Second time around I still bombed the english parts and its even my first language (like under 50 percentile on both sections) but the math/bio/chem was pretty easy. Buy the kaplan book and both practice tests!!! the practice tests helped me the most and there even seemed to be similar questions on the actual exam. Have you already done it once?

I actually took the pcat twice already. Once after 1 term of university and the other time after 1 full year of university. I didn't prepare for the exam the first time around, thinking that it would just be a review of high school material and first term chem of year 1. With my second pcat, I only scored a decent mark in Chemistry. Thanks for the advice about the practice tests. I'll buy the practice tests online (from the Pearson website?) this time. I regret taking my first pcat since I never prepared for it and wasted a chance. Pearson now only allows a maximum of 5 attempts for the pcat. It's not that I'm hoping to take the exam that many times, but I'm not sure if I'm cut out for standardized exams. Also, it looks like all pcats will be computerized by July 2011. I kind of prepare pencil and paper exams. Just also wondering if you are referring to the single Kaplan book from the bookstore is sufficient or the Kaplan books from the actual Kaplan course?

Does anyone happen to know where we submit the college of pharmacists application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote the PCAT more than once, and I took the Kaplan course to prepare the first time. Personally I didn't find it very useful (lots of material covered in each class, and the teacher wasn't all that great). The second time I wrote it, I prepared on my own using the Kaplan book that u can buy at any bookstore for the math, bio, physical chem and reading comp sections. The organic chem section in this book, however, is really lacking. I highly recommend using the LESSON book (not the course book, which is wayyy too detailed) from the course (if u can somehow get ur hands on one, maybe from a friend who took the course?). The reading comp/vocab section isn't something u can really "study" for and drastically improve on in a few months. I do recommend doing more reading to build speed though. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice! The only thing is that I felt that the Kaplan (bookstore version) was also really lacking in its math section. I took the pcat more than once already and hope I will be more prepared this time around.

So I took chem 233, 235, MICB 202. Stat 200 already in second year, and I'm exempt from those by loads.

It would be great if someone could suggest a course or elective that I should take in first year.

removed

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! The only thing is that I felt that the Kaplan (bookstore version) was also really lacking in its math section. I took the pcat more than once already and hope I will be more prepared this time around.

I found it to also be lacking in the chemistry/organic chemistry section (at least the version/edition I used)

My recommendation is to not go for large pharmacy or grocer chains, because they would likely be worried about liability issues.

What I did a year ago, was go search up every small pharmacy near where I lived. Then bring my resume and go visit them systematically until a place would take me.

If in the end you are unable to find one, you can also ask to shadow a pharmacist, which can also be something to outline in your application. The main benefits from the volunteering is valuable insight on profession, as well as references that hold more weight.

Ultimately, a lot of people get in with zero pharmacy experience, so no worries as long as your gpa is decent and you can express yourself well during interviews.

I'm facing a predicament right now. I was recently accepted to be a volunteer at a larger chain pharmacy. I've volunteered there for only 2 weeks, both all I've been told to do was file patient documents away for literally hours. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask if I can take on some actual pharmacy jobs. I'm really wondering if I'm wasting my time there or if should just put up with the filing. They are extremely nice pharmacists and I don't want to be rude.

I'm facing a predicament right now. I was recently accepted to be a volunteer at a larger chain pharmacy. I've volunteered there for only 2 weeks, both all I've been told to do was file patient documents away for literally hours. I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask if I can take on some actual pharmacy jobs. I'm really wondering if I'm wasting my time there or if should just put up with the filing. They are extremely nice pharmacists and I don't want to be rude.

If it helps, my friend did that at first and they eventually hired her as a pharm tech because they saw that she was reliable and hardworking. I'd recommend you keep the job because it's pretty hard to get a volunteer position at pharmacies nowadays, plus you can gain more knowledge about the pharmacy industry. I don't think it's rude to ask if there's anything else you can do, as long as you aren't rude about it. Just ask nicely.

Thank you huhwut and RxRx for your reply, hehe, I am going to have a pretty light first year then!:p

Congratulations to ksksks!!!!!

For those who are looking for a good study guide for the PCAT, I would recommend Cliffnotes', along with the Kaplan one. Cliffnotes has a fairly decent Chem sections (the book is pretty much just practice exams) and its organic chemistry questions are really helpful! Good luck on your PCAT!;)

hey does anyone how they assign reg dates? like is by your rank?

will we be sent a paper letter from the pharmacy department about our acceptance? or are we supposed to print out the email for the bcpha registration?

Just wanted to say a big CONGRADULATIONS :D to KSKSKS!!!!

You truly deserve it!

Best of luck- I'll probably see you around soon ;)

Thank you thank you :)
We all deserve it!

Thank you huhwut and RxRx for your reply, hehe, I am going to have a pretty light first year then!:p

Congratulations to ksksks!!!!!

For those who are looking for a good study guide for the PCAT, I would recommend Cliffnotes', along with the Kaplan one. Cliffnotes has a fairly decent Chem sections (the book is pretty much just practice exams) and its organic chemistry questions are really helpful! Good luck on your PCAT!;)

i found out why i didnt receive an email
the e-mail simply did not go through. Margaret said the e-mail was sent to me. so i wasnt waitlisted after all

i am changing my email address :p

omg! ksksks that's AWESOME for you!!! congrats.

Sigh, so who are my fellow waitlisters? bcpharmer?? you and I and some other people not on this thread you say?

I wish they would just email us already!

i found out why i didnt receive an email
the e-mail simply did not go through. Margaret said the e-mail was sent to me. so i wasnt waitlisted after all

i am changing my email address :p

Glad everything got cleared up! But what a nightmare to put you through all of that! Again, congrats and I'm so happy everything worked out!! :)

I only have 12 credits in first year of Pharmacy... I need to find a part-time job haha

Wow people`s averages must be high! My friend had an average of 89 last winter and he can only register at 8

I only have 12 credits in first year of Pharmacy... I need to find a part-time job haha

I'm assuming that means you have already taken the required courses, but don't forget about the pharmacy approved electives. Way better to take them in 1st year than 2nd (of course you might already have all those too, in which case you're good to go!)

omg! ksksks that's AWESOME for you!!! congrats.

Sigh, so who are my fellow waitlisters? bcpharmer?? you and I and some other people not on this thread you say?

I wish they would just email us already!
I hear ya haha!I think there is a few of us on this thread and yes i know of a few people off of this thread.I hope it works out for all of us.I have read these threads over the last two years and i have learnt alot from everybody so i am so thankful for that .If things do not work out for myself this year I will re write my PCAT again and stay positive that I will get in next year.My PCAT was not great but I will continue to volunteer ect...I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of of us....also thanks to all of you for all your posts in the last couple of :)years ,it sure helped me alot!!!!! Congrats to you all !!

I wonder how many got waitlisted... from the post I've seen this year NO ONE is declining their offer! good for them but bad for us waitlisters. I also wonder how many people usually get in from waitlist? anyone know?

And do they email us all at once to say yes/no or do they email people one by one as empty spots come up?

i guess if you don't get rejected you're on the waitlist?

I wonder how many got waitlisted... from the post I've seen this year NO ONE is declining their offer! good for them but bad for us waitlisters. I also wonder how many people usually get in from waitlist? anyone know?

And do they email us all at once to say yes/no or do they email people one by one as empty spots come up?
I am not sure maybe the others would know more but what i thought i read last year there were two people that got in from the waitlist but i could be wrong.There sure are not 150 people on this thread or any other threads that i have read in the past so maybe there are some people that do decline, i am not sure.I sure would not be declining an offer but you never know.I am not sure how they work out the waitlist but i bet she emails us all tomorrow possibly rejection or an offer, i could be wrong though...so good luck !!

I actually took the pcat twice already. Once after 1 term of university and the other time after 1 full year of university. I didn't prepare for the exam the first time around, thinking that it would just be a review of high school material and first term chem of year 1. With my second pcat, I only scored a decent mark in Chemistry. Thanks for the advice about the practice tests. I'll buy the practice tests online (from the Pearson website?) this time. I regret taking my first pcat since I never prepared for it and wasted a chance. Pearson now only allows a maximum of 5 attempts for the pcat. It's not that I'm hoping to take the exam that many times, but I'm not sure if I'm cut out for standardized exams. Also, it looks like all pcats will be computerized by July 2011. I kind of prepare pencil and paper exams. Just also wondering if you are referring to the single Kaplan book from the bookstore is sufficient or the Kaplan books from the actual Kaplan course?

hey apharma
the kaplan books from the course r realli helpful!!! they have detailed notes, ps they telll u all the strategies n such u need to kno if ur slow n tell u quick ways of approaching the qs. there r 3 books, lotta cue cards, quick sheets etc..
i would recommened u use those books, the actual course itself is 1300 i think\? i have all the books so if u want my books, then contact me at [email protected] and we will go from there..also i have all the practice qs from kaplan that i saved on my comp

Hello. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been accepted into Pharmacy as well. Yay!

I already took Chem 233 during the summer but not any of the other electives. So my credit count right now is 31. Would you guys recommend me taking another elective course? (Edit: I'm thinking Psych 101 or 102) Since year 2 and 3 of Pharmacy looks pretty brutal.

For any Pharmacy students dorming, give me a shout!

Last edited:
i am going in with 13 given credits...
i am looking at the list of pharmacy approved courses

can we be enrolled in these courses right away? It seems like some of the courses like food and nutrition are restricted to some other faculty first.

And does anyone know any bird elective courses? ;)

Thanks in advance

Have you guys found out about your registration date yet? Mine is July 12 at 8:30. I wonder if that's early or late, cuz there is one STT I really really want! =)

Dont waste your time with bioc 300!!! if you took biol 201 then all you need to take is bioc 302.

For those of you looking for electives I quite enjoyed MICB 306-Virology... prof was pretty enthusiastic and its interesting.. plus the vaccine/anti viral components are pretty useful/easy (for us)
Also for FNH pharm students seem to has special status within UBC as we can prety much get into any course we want in any faculty (few of my friends just emailed fnh profs to get in.. or got the faculty to get them in)
another note : for those of you who have done multiple years... you can have 6 credits of ANYTHING so some courses may be counted automatically.
Yeah I had 24 credits.. and since second year italian clashes with our STT I am taking Danish.. just for fun! sothats always an option to fill up your table too.

I'm assuming that means you have already taken the required courses, but don't forget about the pharmacy approved electives. Way better to take them in 1st year than 2nd (of course you might already have all those too, in which case you're good to go!)

Yes, I've already taken all the required courses which are not Pharmacy courses. I've also already taken the 9 credits of the Pharmacy-Approved Electives, and the 6 credits of non-Pharmacy Electives (I already have a degree)... so that's a total of 43 credits! Too bad I can't jump ahead a year!

So that means all I have to take is 3 credits of a PHAR elective course (which I can only take in 3rd or 4th year anyways).

Does anyone know if the Directed Studies program is any good?

THANK YOU SO MUCH chicolate :D I hope to meet all of you in September!

(Or before that~ I am thining of holding a BBQ celebration around late July at a beach/park) anyone want to join? We could discuss a lot of things and I heard many of our courses require immense teamwork so getting to know each other better might be the first step

I would love to attend BBQ / any kind of group activity to get to know you guys better! :laugh:

I am jealous of you guys who have 12 credits. Looks like I'll have 36 or 39!!!:(

hey apharma
the kaplan books from the course r realli helpful!!! they have detailed notes, ps they telll u all the strategies n such u need to kno if ur slow n tell u quick ways of approaching the qs. there r 3 books, lotta cue cards, quick sheets etc..
i would recommened u use those books, the actual course itself is 1300 i think\? i have all the books so if u want my books, then contact me at [email protected] and we will go from there..also i have all the practice qs from kaplan that i saved on my comp

Hi,
I'm interested in buying the kaplan course books from you. It's hard to tell who "apharma" is from just emailing, but I sent an email around 9:15PM today. Thanks=)

Yes, I've already taken all the required courses which are not Pharmacy courses. I've also already taken the 9 credits of the Pharmacy-Approved Electives, and the 6 credits of non-Pharmacy Electives (I already have a degree)... so that's a total of 43 credits! Too bad I can't jump ahead a year!

So that means all I have to take is 3 credits of a PHAR elective course (which I can only take in 3rd or 4th year anyways).

Does anyone know if the Directed Studies program is any good?

Ya I was in the same boat. I had way more than enough credits from my microbi degree. You'll probably feel the same way I did in first year then (wishing you were actually learning about drugs/therapeutics), but you'll have to wait until second year for that!!!!

Hi everyone
I’m trying to register for PCAT right now and they are asking for my SSN. I have SIN but not SSN. Do I just check the NO SSN? I’m worried because it says: “If you check the No SSN checkbox, your scores may not be accepted by Pharm CAS even if you choose Pharm CAS as a score recipient”

PharmCAS is something for the states, so I wouldn't worry about that. I think you can just put your SIN in there though (but maybe someone who took the PCAT more recently can confirm that).

Hi everyone
I’m trying to register for PCAT right now and they are asking for my SSN. I have SIN but not SSN. Do I just check the NO SSN? I’m worried because it says: “If you check the No SSN checkbox, your scores may not be accepted by Pharm CAS even if you choose Pharm CAS as a score recipient”

Yeah, SSN = SIN

Anyone know when the people on the waitlist will be notified? Still no email:-(

Ya I was in the same boat. I had way more than enough credits from my microbi degree. You'll probably feel the same way I did in first year then (wishing you were actually learning about drugs/therapeutics), but you'll have to wait until second year for that!!!!

how tough is Physio 301? ubc microbi did you have a degree b4 you came into the program?