UBC Pre-pharmacy 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ksksks

I have my fingers crossed for you man that you are on the waiting list.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if a Withdrawal-standing on the transcript would look bad and jeopardize my chances? Even if there is only 1?

Members don't see this ad :)
wait did some of u guys receive rejection letters?

i didnt receive any emails either
but from what happened last yr, no email meant u were rejected?

hmm maybe there is bit of hope left.

Maybe since MMI is hard to grade, they may have sent offers to some people, but not all... I REALLY REALLY REALLY need to get into UBC.

i am probably the only one that got accepted to U of T but very depressed cause I didnt get into UBC.

I studied in UBC this year though, so shouldnt that automatically count me as a BC resident? My home's here too. I am beginning to think there is some sort of prejudice against U of T students...

Hey ksks!!
i m in the same boat as u; got accepted to u if t..no email from ubc :(
dunt realli wanna go to u of t tho:(
hopefully they will send the good news to us tomm

i know its obviously a very reputable school
the program is widely recognized in the world.
I am happy about everything except for one small thing

I was thinking of proposing to someone with my acceptance to UBC. Now if I go to Toronto, I wont be near that person...
Thats what I am bitter about. I really really need the letter.

I am gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best. No rejection yet at least.

yeah i know how u feel too. i was accepted into u of t and i think my bf was happy for me, but very saaad. fortunately i got the letter from ubc. i think he was happier than i was.

anyway, don't give up yet. since u didn't get an email, there's a chance for waitlist!

Thanks guys for posting the past couple days! I kept checking here before opening my inbox. Congrats to everyone who got in! =) Now I can stop sweating and have a good night's sleep. haha

@Haro Taro's question about W - I've been taught that having a W doesn't do anything bad for you. And you only have one, so don't worry about it.

STATS
gpa - 80? somewhere there
pcat - 87
ec - currently, ~3 diff EC's, one of which is at a community pharmacy
interview - i loved it so much better than last year!!

And I think I'll send them an email accepting their offer. I think that's the safer route.

For those who haven't gotten the email yet, I don't think it's totally bad news. They'll give you the spots that others have declined, I think.

See you in September!

unlike many of you guys, I didn't have any pharmacy experience on my application (I only started volunteering at a community pharmacy in May but I did stress that during my interview)

my stats weren't bad but they weren't too fantastic either:
GPA: 83%
PCAT: 80%
EC: St. John Ambulance, Canadian Blood, 2 medical labs
LOR: both from the senior scientists I shadowed in the labs

Congratulations to everyone that got in! I am VERY looking forward to meeting all of you in September! (and possibly finding out about who some of you are ;D)

And to those that are waitlisted...I wish you all the best of luck :xf: Hope I'll get to see you when September rolls around!

Oh and, I'm not going to email Margaret. She can't penalize us if we don't email...right? :confused:

unlike many of you guys, I didn't have any pharmacy experience on my application (I only started volunteering at a community pharmacy in May but I did stress that during my interview)

my stats weren't bad but they weren't too fantastic either:
GPA: 83%
PCAT: 80%
EC: St. John Ambulance, Canadian Blood, 2 medical labs
LOR: both from the senior scientists I shadowed in the labs

Congratulations to everyone that got in! I am VERY looking forward to meeting all of you in September! (and possibly finding out about who some of you are ;D)

And to those that are waitlisted...I wish you all the best of luck :xf: Hope I'll get to see you when September rolls around!

Oh and, I'm not going to email Margaret. She can't penalize us if we don't email...right? :confused:

oops I meant PCAT: 80 percentile :idea:

I think you guys should at least call the office and and ask. Otherwise, i'm scared that they will think that you don't want to go there. Cause last year they said if you didn't email them back they would give the offer to someone else. Just ask, it wouldn't hurt?

UT isnt a bad school
If I wasnt in this situation, I really wouldnt care
especially because UT is transitioning into Pharm D like very soon and they offer industrial pharmacy program

I think you guys should at least call the office and and ask. Otherwise, i'm scared that they will think that you don't want to go there. Cause last year they said if you didn't email them back they would give the offer to someone else. Just ask, it wouldn't hurt?

I don't think we need to email back. Margaret only said to contact her immediately if we wish to decline. Plus, she even told us that our admission will be processed later this week to be updated on SSC. I think it's cause she doesn't want a whole bunch of email saying things like:

YES!

OF COURSE!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

:)
Cuz, that's what I would say. hahaha

Plus, if we needed to reply to accept, she wouldn't attach all those documents and instructions to the email :)

Members don't see this ad :)
honestly if someone could accept another school's offer instead of UBC and I would be guaranteed to have that spot, I would actually be willing to pay that person $2000.

Not even joking
this is how badly i want UBC

Plus, if we needed to reply to accept, she wouldn't attach all those documents and instructions to the email :)

In my year, the documents were all attached, but the email still told us to reply to accept the offer. If you just follow the instructions in the email, you'll be fine. But again, in past years, we were told to reply.

Hey guys

I JUST CALLED MARGARET and she said YOU DON'T NEED TO EMAIL HER TO ACCEPT.
She's like... no I would have said. hahaha

I only called because UBCMicrobi said she also got documents.

There - no more ambiguities

Hey guys

I JUST CALLED MARGARET and she said YOU DON'T NEED TO EMAIL HER TO ACCEPT.
She's like... no I would have said. hahaha

I only called because UBCMicrobi said she also got documents.

There - no more ambiguities

Thanks! You rock!

lol that's crazy! I can sorta understand where you're coming from here- I also had someone special in UBC :rolleyes: that I knew from highschool and she actually got in the same year as me (2008).

Well they do waitlist a fair bit of people I believe and I know a few people who got in that way but you can contact UBC- the staff is really nice here and explain your situation. If you can find somebody that's great though!

Best of luck to you!!

thanks
now only if they would pick up my phone call...
i received no email yet -_-

I still got no email too... are we the only ones? you and I, ksksks?
What does this mean!!!??

Thanks RxRx, good to hear a definite answer!:D

Quick question through, I just graduated this year and I have already taken all of the Pharmacy required electives. Are those credits transferable toward my pharmacy degree, or do I have take more electives?

I still got no email too... are we the only ones? you and I, ksksks?
What does this mean!!!??
I also have not received an email....i also know a few others that have not received an email... they are not on this thread.:confused:

Quick question through, I just graduated this year and I have already taken all of the Pharmacy required electives. Are those credits transferable toward my pharmacy degree, or do I have take more electives?

Yup everything is transferable expect There will stil be a Pharm elective that you will need to take in 3rd or 4th year

i am going nuts now
my parents are joking i should receive some ritalin

NO response yet and I even called them

please let us 3 be the ones who get accepted
i am actually waiting for either rejection/acceptance.

Imagine how tough our summers will be with waitlisting...

such a nice weather to have a date too

my BSC registration opened today... I wish i could reigster for my non pharm courses!! there are only 73 seats left for anat 391!!! and those are the restricted ones! it doesnt really make sense that there are more seats for anat 390 than 391 lol. as if I wasn't hovering around my computer waiting for the decision.. now I am waiting for my admission to be processed and to actually register for courses!! is anyone else this nerdy?:soexcited:

i m in the same boat as u guys; waitlisted,,,
called margaret today she said shes gnna wait for few days for ppls emails n see if they reject or not..then she will get back to us either way after that :(

did u ask how many ppl were waitlisted? it seems like there's quite a bit...

-_-

my BSC registration opened today... I wish i could reigster for my non pharm courses!! there are only 73 seats left for anat 391!!! and those are the restricted ones! it doesnt really make sense that there are more seats for anat 390 than 391 lol. as if I wasn't hovering around my computer waiting for the decision.. now I am waiting for my admission to be processed and to actually register for courses!! is anyone else this nerdy?:soexcited:

Don't worry its only restricted with 70ish seats because a lot of people have probably already taken the course and you're guaranteed a seat even if its full they'll just force add you

I think the doc Margaret sent labeled "Credit or exemption for required courses" talks about ppl w/ degree... you can refer to this.

It says, transfer credit is not awarded but Pharmacy will receive a copy of previous transcripts and w/ ur help will review for course exemptions.

hope that helps

@ksks

no she didnt give any numbers...i even asked her my waitlist #; she didnt give me anythin; shes like i will email u in a few days either way ( acceptance or rejection) :(jope its acceptance for us

ANYONE on this forum WHO GOT ACCEPTED TO UBC N OTHER UNIS, NOT goin to UBC but goin sumwhere else?

do you get an email for being waitlisted?

@ksks

no she didnt give any numbers...i even asked her my waitlist #; she didnt give me anythin; shes like i will email u in a few days either way ( acceptance or rejection) :(jope its acceptance for us

ANYONE on this forum WHO GOT ACCEPTED TO UBC N OTHER UNIS, NOT goin to UBC but goin sumwhere else?
It looks like there are four of us off of this thread that are still waiting.Myself and the few others that are not on this thread did not apply anywhere else but UBC. I am not sure how many people decline every year but i would not think that many :confused: ...i am praying haha!!

I was wait listed last year.

And if anyone is waitlisted and has offers already from other schools, I suggest you take them first.

Because the final rejection will only come once all students have registered for courses.

Hence the date that you actually get the email telling you all the seats are taken, please try again next year could be in august.

Good for you to plan regardless of the waitlist status right now.

I was wait listed last year.

And if anyone is waitlisted and has offers already from other schools, I suggest you take them first.

Because the final rejection will only come once all students have registered for courses.

Hence the date that you actually get the email telling you all the seats are taken, please try again next year could be in august.

Good for you to plan regardless of the waitlist status right now.
Thanks hobom..i did read all your posts last year and thanks !! I only applied at UBC. When is the registration date for courses?

hey ksksks, isn't UT's offer only until friday? i had to fax them today for the decline. if you haven't already, i would accept their offer first, and then wait on ubc

Congrats everyone on your invites!

For those of you who have taken anat 390 (microscopic human anatomy), how much would taking cell biology help or not help with the course? On the course website it said that it was strongly recommended.

The reason I ask is because I'm currently registered for 3 sciences courses with labs, but on one of the days, I have 6 hours of class back to back, which would be handleable, but unideal during midterm week. (I am contacting my professors about the midterm dates.)

I'd like to take 2 other courses I am interested in to rpelace the cell biology course, if I chose not to take it.

Congrats everyone on your invites!

For those of you who have taken anat 390 (microscopic human anatomy), how much would taking cell biology help or not help with the course? On the course website it said that it was strongly recommended.

The reason I ask is because I'm currently registered for 3 sciences courses, but on one of the days, I have 6 hours of class back to back, which would be handleable, but unideal during midterm week. (I am contacting my professors about the midterm dates.)

I'd like to take 2 other courses I am interested in to rpelace the cell biology course, if I chose not to take it.

Cell biology will definitely help with Anat 390, since Anat 390 is basically histology (studying the various types of cells in the body).

You have to do what works for you, but a 6 hour block would be a deal breaker for me (seriously, sometimes I think I am the only person that actually needs to eat), and weigh the pros and cons. Anat is doable without cell bi, I'm sure, and I'm not sure how useful it will be to take them at the same time (taking cell bi before Anat 390 would be more helpful).

*disclaimer: I am not familiar with the cell bi offered at UBC, since I did it at Langara.

hey ksksks, isn't UT's offer only until friday? i had to fax them today for the decline. if you haven't already, i would accept their offer first, and then wait on ubc

thanks for the reminder :)
i already sent in the fax this morning

Hm, does anyone here who got the rejection here share similar stats as I do?

pharm pre-req gpa: 79.9
pcat: 99
interview: felt like I aced it

Extremely bitter now... but congrats to those who got in!

Hm, does anyone here who got the rejection here share similar stats as I do?

pharm pre-req gpa: 79.9
pcat: 99
interview: felt like I aced it

Extremely bitter now... but congrats to those who got in!

Are you IP or OOP?

Are you IP or OOP?

I'm from Vancouver... :(

You see, I would not be this upset if I could pinpoint what I should work on for the next cycle. I thought that it could be my EC, but since I got the interview, I know that EC could not have been the contributing factor. It could not be my academic experience since I got pretty decent grades (79.9% + pcat of 99) and my B.Sc. in cell bio (which I thought could have helped me).

So I'm thinking that maybe my interviewers thought my responses were BS, but if you guys were to ask me if I would change anything, I swear I would give the same responses again since everything I said was based on my personal experience and I did NOT exaggerate anything and justified my decisions as adequately as possible. In fact, I was surprised that this turned out to be the best interview I've ever done, where I thought I'd given pretty smooth and insightful answers to most (8 or 9) of the questions. But I'm even more surprised of the outcome.... I'd be laughing and crying if they really thought I was BSing :mad:

So, the best I could do now really, heh, is e-mail Margaret and hopefully she can give me detailed feedback.

I'm really lost and frustrated right now, so can anyone give me some honest feedback?

Thanks everyone, and I really appreciate your help!

You see, I would not be this upset if I could pinpoint what I should work on for the next cycle. I thought that it could be my EC, but since I got the interview, I know that EC could not have been the contributing factor. It could not be my academic experience since I got pretty decent grades (79.9% + pcat of 99) and my B.Sc. in cell bio (which I thought could have helped me).

So I'm thinking that maybe my interviewers thought my responses were BS, but if you guys were to ask me if I would change anything, I swear I would give the same responses again since everything I said was based on my personal experience and I did NOT exaggerate anything and justified my decisions as adequately as possible. In fact, I was surprised that this turned out to be the best interview I've ever done, where I thought I'd given pretty smooth and insightful answers to most (8 or 9) of the questions. But I'm even more surprised of the outcome.... I'd be laughing and crying if they really thought I was BSing :mad:

So, the best I could do now really, heh, is e-mail Margaret and hopefully she can give me detailed feedback.

I'm really lost and frustrated right now, so can anyone give me some honest feedback?

I'm pretty sure it was your interview. Perhaps you felt like you did a good job but compared relatively to others it wasn't as insightful as you thought? I have found a lot of people came out confident in this MMI and ended up surprised with the results.

I only felt confident on 6/10 of the stations.

do we have to take anatomy 390+391, physiology, stat, micb and biochem all in the first year of pharmacy? or can they be completed anytime during the bachelor degree?

do we have to take anatomy 390+391, physiology, stat, micb and biochem all in the first year of pharmacy? or can they be completed anytime during the bachelor degree?

All in first year. My schedule is jam packed :(

Anyone able to switch over to a BSCP in registration yet?

Although you felt good about the interview, you have to remember that your interview score is relative to the applicant pool. If other students gave a slightly better answer than you did, then that pushes you down the ranking ladder. I believe luck also plays a role in this MMI format. If the candidate who's in front of you gave superb answers, then obviously his/her quality of answer would impact the interviewee's opinion on the subsequent student.

Your next step is to ask for your rank and interview score from Margaret and see how far you were from being the top 150. You have a very good academic average, so all you really have to work on is the interview. Practice mock interviews with your family/friends and get some direct feedback because sometimes, the observer/listener may catch things you don't realize in your responses.

I was in the same boat as you last year, so don't feel bad. If you really want this, then you'll get it someday.

My coworkers were so nice to me today, I walked into the pharmacy and they gave me flowers. Man, I wonder what I could have received if I actually got in :(

At any rate, I am interested to know the answer to the mystery of the people who didn't get any e-mails at all. It must be the "wait list." Keep me posted you guys.

Also, I am struggling to think of how to improve my application in the mean time while I am waiting until we are "allowed" to e-mail Margaret about it... Considering the range of statistics that I have seen so far for people who were accepted, I am well within that range. I have LOADS of pharmacy experience and excellent references. So I am thinking my weakness must have been A) the fact that I am not a BC resident, and B) my interview. I felt pretty confident for some of my questions, but I could have done better for others. I am really proud to say that I was able to at least get an interview as an OOP student, but I am really sad because in the mean time I fell in love with Vancouver. Now I get to play the waiting game with Edmonton which has no appeal to me at all *sulk*

i was wondering this as well?