UBC 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i was caught off gaurd too. There was one question that I kinda choked on so I had to use a weird situation to answer the question. But i think there were about 15-20 questions so if you screw one question up its fine.

Members don't see this ad.

Yea~ I guess it should be in the beginning of July because it doesn't take them that much effort now tho right? The interviewers probably have already given scores for each candidates by the end of each day. Now they could just tally everything up and start ranking the students already.

lol~ July 4th... so close... yet so far >.<

I had my interview yesterday... and I have no idea how it really went. It wasn't a disaster by any means.. wasn't great I don't think?? I agree that they didn't show much emotion through the process, maybe they aren't suppose to? My guy was pretty nice though, the lady didn't look particularly interested at all. who knows! I felt like throwing up and crying after.. just because all these emotions were coming out. Now the waiting game.. ahhhh...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got back! I have no clue at all about that, my interviewer didn't nod the whole time...So I think I was pretty much mediocre...But keeping the hope!

:(
stuttered my answers and lost eye contact for like 5 questions...
do i still have any hope? (keeping my fingers cross :luck:)
yesh, i was so delighted and relieved that i got it over but at one point, i totally crashed and broke into tears...do i still have any hope?

the suspense of the waiting game is ON :scared:

i was caught off gaurd too. There was one question that I kinda choked on so I had to use a weird situation to answer the question. But i think there were about 15-20 questions so if you screw one question up its fine.

Yeah same here! We're probably thinking about the same question. I had to use some really out-there example to answer it.

Just a side note, if past years are any reflection, admitted applicants should find out one week from tomorrow.

:confused:

if the interviewers didnt write anything on their clipboard as i was answering, does that mean i got that question totally wrong or off-topic?

:scared:

if the interviewers didnt write anything on their clipboard as i was answering, does that mean i got that question totally wrong or off-topic?

Don't worry about it. I'm sure they wrote something. You were probably too focused on answering to notice. They could be fast note-takers and you missed it.

Just relax; for better or worse, it's over. No point in drowning yourself in anxiety for the following week or so.

I stepped in the Cunningham building today to take a look. Everyone in the waiting room was wearing a suit!

i'm pretty sure we can all be mutual on those feelings of tears yet to come and nausea. and being unsure of how we did. unless you thought you did amazing; if that's you, screw you. :D

thank you tealish for the words of encouragement!!!
i hope that's the case =D

i want to know the results immediately though...this is going to be a looooong week!

Members don't see this ad :)
The majority of people did wear suits... incase any of you are wondering. I will give you a heads up on that one. Although, I never really felt that they were directly evaluating how I dressed?? A few people also just wore dress pants and a collared shirt, I think was was OK as well :)

Yeah the same thing happened to me, except it was just 1 of the interviewers. She wrote briskly most of the time except for 2 to 3 questions where I did not see her pen move at all.... :eek:

Really? My interviewers filled the space on the sheet on almost every single question except the second to last where they only wrote too lines. For the last "kinda question" did any one else have quite a bit too say? I did. The filled the entire box with writing. That makes me feel good. They don't mark on the impression of you. They mark according to the amount you answered the question and your ability and live experiance in the matter. The more they write the better!:D

Really? My interviewers filled the space on the sheet on almost every single question except the second to last where they only wrote too lines. For the last "kinda question" did any one else have quite a bit too say? I did. The filled the entire box with writing. That makes me feel good. They don't mark on the impression of you. They mark according to the amount you answered the question and your ability and live experiance in the matter. The more they write the better!:D

Ackkk!! For that one they wrote almost nothing!! And I yacked on for so long! Did you have two ladies?

the last question.... caught me off-guard. I did prepare something in along those lines, but nothing specific. Plus I was out of time so they were kinda hurrying me on which made me even more nervous!! I practically stuttered the whole time for that last one. AAK! But they still wrote alot I think. *crosses fingers*

AAh.. I'm getting such mixed emotions... Whenever I blank out I'm thinking about either "why did I say that" or "why didn't I say that" hahaha

:luck: :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: for all of us!!!!

Oh yes, did anyone else notice that there weren't ~10 interviewees at your time slot? For my time slot (23rd 9AM) there seemed to be only 6 people max before I got called in. Maybe the rest were late, or maybe there are less interviewees this year? Or maybe it's just because not many people signed up for 9AM. I dunno~ hopefully less interviewees ;)

Last edited:
There was about 7-8 people there when I was there, but I'm guessing it was us 1:30's and probably some of the 2:00's.

Oh and by the way, 150 spots reserve for PHYL301 for pharmacy 2008/2009 students.

well, mine's over with. and yeah the sheet says first week of july! i'm hoping the interviewers were in a good mood after lunch =] and don't sweat it guys. most of the questions were really standard and expected. maybe one or two that were a bit off but just don't panic and i'm sure the correct situation will come to you! good luck!

It's over >.< I think I'm gonna go nuts... b/c the process of getting to the interview was quite stressful. Some of my responses were really bad and lame to the point. Sigh~ At least it will be great experience for next year. One of the interviewer had an whatever/just-let-me-go/I'm tired/what-kind-of-answer-is-that face. He even told me before hand that he was "SOOOOO~ tired". Geez~ like that's gonna make me feel any better. It's not my fault that they assigned me for 4 o'clock. Not to mention, they were 15 minutes LATE! As a result, I was the last of the last today. Yes, I also realized that there are 7-8 ppl per time slot. ERRR and the interview room has no windows. I was almost at the point of hyperventilating. LOL sorry~ Enough venting... I feel a bit better now...

well, mine's over with. and yeah the sheet says first week of july! i'm hoping the interviewers were in a good mood after lunch =] and don't sweat it guys. most of the questions were really standard and expected. maybe one or two that were a bit off but just don't panic and i'm sure the correct situation will come to you! good luck!

Thanks for the positivity! Everyone else was making me a bit nervous, and of course that gets me nowhere :)

Good luck to everyone who has an interview tomorrow and Thursday!

Thanks for the positivity! Everyone else was making me a bit nervous, and of course that gets me nowhere :)

Good luck to everyone who has an interview tomorrow and Thursday!

LOL~ sorry for making you nervous. Don't worry about it. Just do your best xD Just because some of us had a bad day doesn't mean that you will. Perhaps, certain interviewers were just tired like mine. Hmmm.... Be sure not to go way to early like me... 40 minutes early because it could be a little bit nervous seeing everyone around you leaving. It's like "here comes the interviewer... am I going next? No? ... Here comes another one! Oh boy she looks like a meanie... I hope she's not here for me lol~" But the calming circle set up definitely help.

LOL~ sorry for making you nervous. Don't worry about it. Just do your best xD Just because some of us had a bad day doesn't mean that you will. Perhaps, certain interviewers were just tired like mine. Hmmm.... Be sure not to go way to early like me... 40 minutes early because it could be a little bit nervous seeing everyone around you leaving. It's like "here comes the interviewer... am I going next? No? ... Here comes another one! Oh boy she looks like a meanie... I hope she's not here for me lol~" But the calming circle set up definitely help.

My interview is at 3:30, so late in the day. Hopefully my interviewers aren't tired and grumpy by that point, but what can you do. I'll probably be too focused on my answers/stressed to notice anyway!

40 minutes is a bit early, but even though I went to UBC for 2 years, I don't think I ever went into the pharm building. It's near Woodward right? Did they have signs or whatnot indicating which doors to go through for interviews and such?

It's called Cunningham, and it's right behind Wesbrook (you probably had Bio 112 at Wesbrook...)

I was wondering as well... Do they have signs for direction to the interview once we're in the building?

I thought the admin people in the calming circle room were fantastic. Actually engaged and joked around with them. I wish I had them as my interviewers - though mine weren't too bad either.

a side note.... the labcoats were ridiculously hard to put on!!

I was wondering as well... Do they have signs for direction to the interview once we're in the building?

Once you walk inside the building, it's right there.. you can't miss it. But there's a sign too.

It's called Cunningham, and it's right behind Wesbrook (you probably had Bio 112 at Wesbrook...)

Thanks, that's the building I was thinking of, but I thought I'd make sure first. Ya, I spent a lot of time in Wesbrook for Microbi (in fact my photo graces the walls of that building! ;) )

Last edited:
I thought the admin people in the calming circle room were fantastic. Actually engaged and joked around with them. I wish I had them as my interviewers - though mine weren't too bad either.

a side note.... the labcoats were ridiculously hard to put on!!

Calming circle...sounds funny, but probably does the trick to get your jitters out. What were you guys doing with lab coats? Playing dress up? Or were they doing pictures?

Calming circle...sounds funny, but probably does the trick to get your jitters out. What were you guys doing with lab coats? Playing dress up? Or were they doing pictures?

You have so sew one to get an interview ;)

then that's obviously cheating! hahha I'm just kidding (hope you caught on..)

don't worry, I figured you guys were joking, but seriously, why were there lab coats involved??:confused:

My interview is at 3:30, so late in the day. Hopefully my interviewers aren't tired and grumpy by that point, but what can you do. I'll probably be too focused on my answers/stressed to notice anyway!

40 minutes is a bit early, but even though I went to UBC for 2 years, I don't think I ever went into the pharm building. It's near Woodward right? Did they have signs or whatnot indicating which doors to go through for interviews and such?

It's easy to find. Find westbrook first and go straight toward the woodward direction. It would be the building right next to woodward. You have to get up this little stair and you'll see PHARMACY INTERVIEW posted on the door.

Just a fitting to find out your size in case you get in.

makes sense... I guess with a relatively large class size it would be hard to fit everyone right at the beginning of the year before the "white coat ceremony". The other schools I interviewed at didn't do a coat fitting, but the class sizes are miniscule compared to UBC. I just hope they have a coat small enough to fit me, I'm sick of drowning in my lab coats and looking like an idiot!!! Here's hoping I'll be wearing a nice fitted lab coat in September :)

makes sense... I guess with a relatively large class size it would be hard to fit everyone right at the beginning of the year before the "white coat ceremony". The other schools I interviewed at didn't do a coat fitting, but the class sizes are miniscule compared to UBC. I just hope they have a coat small enough to fit me, I'm sick of drowning in my lab coats and looking like an idiot!!! Here's hoping I'll be wearing a nice fitted lab coat in September :)

LOL~ their extra small was large for me aka the sleeves were too long. Sandra was like "I'm sorry, this is the smallest one we have" :laugh:

LOL~ their extra small was large for me aka the sleeves were too long. Sandra was like "I'm sorry, this is the smallest one we have" :laugh:

That sucks!

you just try on the lab coats so they know what size you are for the white coat ceremony later on, for those lucky enough to get in of course =]

the medium was a little too tight and the large was huge :( and they only go down to your waist, i was hoping for something a lot more swooshier

the medium was a little too tight and the large was huge :( and they only go down to your waist, i was hoping for something a lot more swooshier

I really don't care what the coat looks like, as long as it says UBC Pharm Student, give me a mumu for all I care. Just give it to me pleeeease!:bow:

a mumu :|

OH i want a cape. i'll be fine with the medium coat if i can have a cape. seriously, i'd work a lot better if i could feel the rush of a cape behind my neck. i'm not even joking, i really want a cape. but a white cape would look stupid. so, end dream.

ahhh i can't remember what the last question was that you guys are talking about :( was it the one with the box at the bottom? cause i don't remember seeing them write anything in it for me. my interviewers sucked, but my answers were good. i didn't see them write much though. hmm. can only wait now :)

just finished my interview..........
I have no idea how I did. It went by so quick!
How many questions was it, like 15???:confused:

^ yea it goes by really quick. It sucks, I can't remember ~5 of the questions.

Now I come to think of it, there aren't as much as 20-25 questions. I could only remember 12 or so.

Now I come to think of it, there aren't as much as 20-25 questions. I could only remember 12 or so.

To me, 20-25 seems a little excessive, and your answers would have to be really brief! Around 10-12 sounds about right, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow :)