UBC 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when we will get an email about the white coat ceremony?

Thanks in advance.

Nope. Apparently it's in sometime in the first 2 weeks of September, though. Got that from the facebook group, so I don't know how accurate the info is. Hopefully they'll let us know the details soon (ie when and how many guests we can invite)

See you there ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering the same thing.. Hopefully in the next week or two, it would be nice to know well in advance

White Coat Ceremony September 10th, @ 5pm-7pm, 2 guests.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know where i can look up the pharmacy approved electives?

if you got into pharmacy you should have received an email with that attachment. but if you are just interested to know what the electives are for ubc pharm then you gotta ask someone who got in to forward you a copy

here's a link

at the bottom of the page look for

Information for Current B.Sc. Pharm Undergraduate Students
For information on elective courses for the 2007-2008 year, link to Electives.

It is off the UBC Pharmacy Website, although it is for 07/08 so it might not be identical to the one we received by email with our acceptance letter.

hey just a random question
do pharmacy techs need to do that pharmacy tech course to apply for those positions or can someone like me that doing a bsc and wants to become a pharmacist apply for that position? anyone know shoppers drug mart policy on this one (saw that they were looking to hire for all positions..pharm tech, cashier, merchandise..i just want a position that's more in line with my career)

hey just a random question
do pharmacy techs need to do that pharmacy tech course to apply for those positions or can someone like me that doing a bsc and wants to become a pharmacist apply for that position? anyone know shoppers drug mart policy on this one (saw that they were looking to hire for all positions..pharm tech, cashier, merchandise..i just want a position that's more in line with my career)

I was hired as a pharmacy technician ("pharmacy assistant") at London Drugs, without prior training or experience. Just to clarify, I am a "tech" and work in the dispensary. In BC, pharmacy techs are not regulated, but some stores may prefer applicants who have taken training courses. Not sure what the Shoppers policy is.

I was hired as a pharmacy technician ("pharmacy assistant") at London Drugs, without prior training or experience. Just to clarify, I am a "tech" and work in the dispensary. In BC, pharmacy techs are not regulated, but some stores may prefer applicants who have taken training courses. Not sure what the Shoppers policy is.

hey thanks for the info UBCmircobi but how would i go about getting this job since i might be competing with people that have taken the courses, like what do i write on my resume and how would i approach them?

Emphasise your background in science, and if you have a degree. Also state your desire to pursue a Pharm degree. That's basically what I did. I did an online application and sent in a regular resume stating my work/education background. I played up my BSc and desire to gain pharm experience and my goal of pursuing a Pharm degree in the cover letter.

Good luck.

Last edited:
parishilton:
i actually volunteer one day a week at shopper's drug mart in the pharmacy.. i cant really access the computer or anything because i dont have a code or anything but if someone types theirs in i can pretty much do everything the techs do: i count, label, make blister paks, file.. all the regular tech stuff and always learning more. however if u want to get HIRED i would suggest applying to london drugs/pharmasave/shoppers etc.. just as like a general worker ie cashier, stocking etc.. thats what my friend did and eventualy they pulled him back into the pharmacy and trained him as a tech.

okaaaaaay so its FINALLY MY turn !!
all you guys got your letters for 2008.. and congrats to those who were successful !
now its actually time for the 2009-ers. im already nervous !!
this semester wasntttt overly great for me so its comforting to hear that gpa isnt worth like 99% haha
im just wondering how you guys approached your application process:who wrote your reference letters etc... [no essay required right? id idnt see anything on the site]
and also im not doing pre-reqs at UBC so im a little confused on how im supposed to apply.. apparently i have to apply to ubc in general and then also for pharmacy at the same times.. i just dont want to be caught on a technicality..
and as for interviews... any sample questions would be much appreciated !!

Members don't see this ad :)
okaaaaaay so its FINALLY MY turn !!
all you guys got your letters for 2008.. and congrats to those who were successful !
now its actually time for the 2009-ers. im already nervous !!
this semester wasntttt overly great for me so its comforting to hear that gpa isnt worth like 99% haha
im just wondering how you guys approached your application process:who wrote your reference letters etc... [no essay required right? id idnt see anything on the site]
and also im not doing pre-reqs at UBC so im a little confused on how im supposed to apply.. apparently i have to apply to ubc in general and then also for pharmacy at the same times.. i just dont want to be caught on a technicality..
and as for interviews... any sample questions would be much appreciated !!

There is an essay protion for the UBC application (sorry!), it's 2 questions, nothing major. I had a prof and my pharmacy manager write my LORs, definitely see if you can get a pharmacist at Shoppers to be one of your referees. Yes, you will have to apply to UBC and then the pharmacy program, but it should be pretty straight forward. Just make sure to get your transrcipts in on time. It's a little early to be thinking about the interview just yet and you won't find too many people willing to post sample questions here becuase of the confidentiality waiver we signed (if you know someone in real life that's another story, but it's early days yet). Have you written the PCAT yet? That should be your main focus, worry about the interview later.

Good luck :)

thanks for the info !!
i had no idea about any confidentiality waivers.. and i thought i knew everything.. ive pretty much memorized the site im so anxious for the application to come out !!

so ive been reading around and noticed alot of people saying that theyre taking the pcat twice... i was only planning on taking it once in january.
even then, ill be doing my last semester of pre-reqs and wont quite be finished microbi, chem and physics. and if i were to take the test in october id only be half way through my 3rd semester. i guess im just planning on getting a high score.. is the test all multiple choice?

yes the pcat is all multiple choice except for two essays. Physics is noy on the pcat. If you are confident in your ability then the Jan PCAT would be good since you would have completed 2nd semester chem.

Has anyone email Margaret asking about their rankings?

thanks for the info !!
i had no idea about any confidentiality waivers.. and i thought i knew everything.. ive pretty much memorized the site im so anxious for the application to come out !!

so ive been reading around and noticed alot of people saying that theyre taking the pcat twice... i was only planning on taking it once in january.
even then, ill be doing my last semester of pre-reqs and wont quite be finished microbi, chem and physics. and if i were to take the test in october id only be half way through my 3rd semester. i guess im just planning on getting a high score.. is the test all multiple choice?

I was lucky enough to only have to write the PCAT once (thank goodness; I wrote it last Jan). You could write the Oct PCAT as a trial run, and then take the Jan PCAT when you have taken more of the pre-reqs. You definitely have an edge the second time around, since you'll be more familiar with the format, the level of difficulty and the actual topics tested. Then again, I can certainly understand not wanting to go through that ordeal twice!

yes the pcat is all multiple choice except for two essays. Physics is noy on the pcat. If you are confident in your ability then the Jan PCAT would be good since you would have completed 2nd semester chem.

Has anyone email Margaret asking about their rankings?

Yeah I asked her what my ranking was among everyone accepted but she said she doesn't give that information out unfortunately

I was just wondering if anyone knows how much a pharmacy technician at Shoppers Drug Mart makes?

Thanks!

Yeah I asked her what my ranking was among everyone accepted but she said she doesn't give that information out unfortunately
thanks. You just saved both me and Margaret some time.

thanks. You just saved both me and Margaret some time.
If you got in, why would you need to know your ranking? It serves no purpose except to either boost your ego or to tell you that you sucked compared to others. I personally applaud their decision not to tell anyone except the people who didn't get in because its irrelevant.

If you got in, why would you need to know your ranking? It serves no purpose except to either boost your ego or to tell you that you sucked compared to others. I personally applaud their decision not to tell anyone except the people who didn't get in because its irrelevant.

I agree. It's one of those things you're probably better off not knowing, just be happy you got in and prepare to work you ass off for the next 4 years ;)

does UBC care if you take the PCAT once or twice? like I noticed they said they only take the more recent mark, but if they saw you took it twice would that influence their thinking at all in anyway? i mean, im almost thinking that its worth taking it.. i could get an exceptional mark and then not have to take it in jan. but even if i have to take it again, i'll know exactly what to expect and how to better prepare.

does UBC care if you take the PCAT once or twice? like I noticed they said they only take the more recent mark, but if they saw you took it twice would that influence their thinking at all in anyway? i mean, im almost thinking that its worth taking it.. i could get an exceptional mark and then not have to take it in jan. but even if i have to take it again, i'll know exactly what to expect and how to better prepare.

I don't think it would influence them, at least not in a negative way. If anything it would show that you were determined to improve your score from one test to another. I took it once in my first year of university just to give it a try (I knew I wouldn't be applying first year as I didn't have all the neccessary pre-reqs) and got 73. I didn't feel that this was a score that I wanted to apply to the program with so I retook it this year and got 85 so its definitely worth doing more than once if you feel you need too.

I took it in oct of first year and got 68 then i took it again and got 88. And I got into Pharmacy! Its worth taking twice.

hmmmm yeah im definitely leaning towards that !
what was your gpa though?

so all you guys are starting next week !! congratulations and i hope to see you all next year !

hmmmm yeah im definitely leaning towards that !
what was your gpa though?

so all you guys are starting next week !! congratulations and i hope to see you all next year !

I can't believe schools starts in a week!!!!!

Hi, Do you guys know if theres a minimum you have to get per section for the PCAT? and also if UBC looks at the essay portion?

thanks.

Hi, Do you guys know if theres a minimum you have to get per section for the PCAT? and also if UBC looks at the essay portion?

thanks.

As far as I know, they only look at the composite score and do not look at the essay portion. I'm sure there is a minimum composite score to be considered for admission.

I believe the minimum composite score for the PCAT to be even considered for admission is 65 but most students accepted would have achieved be much higher than that.

oooookay now can SOMEONE explain the application process to me?
like.. from a non ubc student.. should i apply in november or january?

oooookay now can SOMEONE explain the application process to me?
like.. from a non ubc student.. should i apply in november or january?

It's up to you, I applied mid february as a student from Uvic.

Does anyone know how previous electives work? If I've done courses in a previous degree that satisfy requirements for electives, am I exempt or will it not count?

Does anyone know how previous electives work? If I've done courses in a previous degree that satisfy requirements for electives, am I exempt or will it not count?

Matt, looks like I'm in a similar situation as you. Right now I'm going on the assumption that I will be able to use the courses that I have already taken as my electives for my Pharm degree. I'll have to find out for sure though, obviously. I'm just not sure who to ask/who the pharm advisors are that would be able to tell us definitively.

i am under the impression that you can take the pcat twice in 2 years.. am i right?
and is that a life time thing? or can you take it again 2 years later?
if its only a 2 times in your entire life thing i am not going to waste my first one on familiarization

Matt, looks like I'm in a similar situation as you. Right now I'm going on the assumption that I will be able to use the courses that I have already taken as my electives for my Pharm degree. I'll have to find out for sure though, obviously. I'm just not sure who to ask/who the pharm advisors are that would be able to tell us definitively.

I'd ask Margaret, she deals with all that.

this is probably a stupid question... butttt if, god forbid, you dont get into pharmacy, do they also tell you via email? or you just kind of figure it out when you dont get an acceptance. same with interviews..

this is probably a stupid question... butttt if, god forbid, you dont get into pharmacy, do they also tell you via email? or you just kind of figure it out when you dont get an acceptance. same with interviews..

You will get an email informing you if you got an interview as well as one that will tell you if you were accepted or rejected from the program.

I have a question to those who applied the second/third time. I was wondering, were the interview questions exactly the same from one year to the next? Or do they have different sets of questions? I noticed that the essay questions were different for this year, so not sure if interview questions would change as well. THansk a lot~~~

Last edited:
Hey
I was reading the thread for ubc pharmacy admission, and I saw that fortunately got an interview, congrats!
But the thread sort of finished there, and i couldn't get any information about the stats of ppl who actually got in...the story remained unfinished...
lol
Could u kindly plz let me know what ur GPA of pre-req courses was(considering that ur out of province applicnt) and how did u do on the pcat? did u finally get in? I hope the answer is yes, if not we'll apply together this year :)
thank you in advance,
good luck.

Does anybody else have to spend 500 bucks on a flight to attend the interview?