UBC 2008 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimdan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else has applied??? I hate how long we have to wait to find out if we have an interview!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey i've applied this year. We have to wait until June until we hear back for the interview. Its all on the pharmacy website. What did you get on the pcat?

Yay, a total of three applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! People actually responded :) I got 87 on my PCAT so nothing super amazing, but not too bad either. How about you guys? Apparently we hear back early June if we got an interview.. thats not tooo bad I guess

I got 88 on my pcat and i have an average of 75% in my courses. I hear its not hard to get an interview but your competing like nothing else during the interview. I also heard that the majority of people who go through the interview believe that they did well enough to get even though only half of the applicants who are interviewed recieve a spot. :thumbup:

truly inspiring. :)

i got 91 on my PCAT
*gloats*
but yeah i am a failure in volunteer work
and my average is a around 75 too, can't tell yet

That's funny, most of my friends had trouble getting an interview. Once they got the interview they just walked right on in.. one of them even had a 66% PCAT! I'm hoping that my volunteer work, CPR classes, and experience with London Drugs atleast gets me an interview.

Ack :S more pressure yay

That's funny, most of my friends had trouble getting an interview. Once they got the interview they just walked right on in.. one of them even had a 66% PCAT! I'm hoping that my volunteer work, CPR classes, and experience with London Drugs atleast gets me an interview.

I've volunteered in a pharmacy for 20 hours, Im a volunteer firefighter, I have first responder level 3 first aid, and i've chaired numerous comittees like my grad council in grade 12. I've also played alot of sports. What are everyone else's extracurrics like?

Does anyone remember when interview invitations went out last year?? Or think they know around when we get them this year.... its coming up soon I know that much!

*melts* London Drugs... The minute I was going to submit my resume for the pharm. assistant position online, they took it off the website. :( I was really hoping to get some experience there... Ah well. :(

So when you say that the average is 75% on courses ... does that mean a 3.0 gpa overall? And is that based on pre-reqs?

wow you guys are still waiting on interview invitations? so when do you find out the final admission result? and i thought waterloo/u of t were slow.. haha

Does any one know how they will contact as about interview invitations? ie mail, email, phone? My mail situation is a bit iffy as I just moved and can't check my PO Box daily...

Waiting sucks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year they emailed us about the interviews on June 1.

Oh god, I don't think i'll be able to sleep tonight! It probably will be tomorrow, but then again... it all depends if they are running on time.

*melts* London Drugs... The minute I was going to submit my resume for the pharm. assistant position online, they took it off the website. :( I was really hoping to get some experience there... Ah well. :(

So when you say that the average is 75% on courses ... does that mean a 3.0 gpa overall? And is that based on pre-reqs?

Aww thats really too bad. I was super shocked when I got the job with London Drugs, I waited like 3 months from the day I submitted my resume to the day I got a call for an interview. Then once I got that, I had to run criminal record checks, reference checks.. write an IQ/Personality test at head office, and then go for 4 days training at head office. It was pretty crazy. But for anyone considering getting a job with LD, the experience is great :) I really recommend it!

Aww thats really too bad. I was super shocked when I got the job with London Drugs, I waited like 3 months from the day I submitted my resume to the day I got a call for an interview. Then once I got that, I had to run criminal record checks, reference checks.. write an IQ/Personality test at head office, and then go for 4 days training at head office. It was pretty crazy. But for anyone considering getting a job with LD, the experience is great :) I really recommend it!

Wow 3 months, I was offered an interview a few days after submitting my applications online. I guess I had good timing!

How long have you been with LD? I've been working there since late Sept 07.

I totally agree, it is great experience, and my store will be hiring if I leave to go back to school, so anyone who wants to gain pharmacy experience should definitely check out LD's online job postings!

Wow 3 months, I was offered an interview a few days after submitting my applications online. I guess I had good timing!

How long have you been with LD? I've been working there since late Sept 07.

I totally agree, it is great experience, and my store will be hiring if I leave to go back to school, so anyone who wants to gain pharmacy experience should definitely check out LD's online job postings!

Ya I'd say really good timing. I think also, the pharmacy manager at the time I was hired.. was super picky. Apparently he had been wanting new techs for a year or two, just hadn't found the right people. I've been working there since June 07, pretty much exaclty a year now.

Hopefully we find out tomorrow about our interviews! Keep me posted guys :)

Ya I'd say really good timing. I think also, the pharmacy manager at the time I was hired.. was super picky. Apparently he had been wanting new techs for a year or two, just hadn't found the right people. I've been working there since June 07, pretty much exaclty a year now.

Hopefully we find out tomorrow about our interviews! Keep me posted guys :)

ITs 12:39pm and I've had no word yet. What about you others?

12:55, nothing yet. I'll be compulsively checking my email for the next few days for sure!

12:55, nothing yet. I'll be compulsively checking my email for the next few days for sure!

2:20
I Think i might die of anticipation. Theres absolutaly nothing to do but wait for this email. I hear that 2 years ago they sent out the confirmation email on June 8th. I can't handle waiting that long :S

I had to work 10:30- 7 today.. and the whole day I was shaky! Man thats really too bad we didn't hear today, I wonder when we will then :S I think I am going to die of anticipation as well kridge.. especially if we have to wait more than 2-3 days.

If it helps any, I received an invitation from UBC last year on June 1st, and the dates to pick for an interview ranged from June 25 to June 28. Best of luck!

If it helps any, I received an invitation from UBC last year on June 1st, and the dates to pick for an interview ranged from June 25 to June 28. Best of luck!

Looking back at old e-mails... I found out that I didn't get an interview last year, on June.5th at about 3:00pm. So hopefully this means that they just haven't send out invites yet.. as nobody here has gotten an e-mail yet. But now I am even more scared.. thinking that possibly they already sent out the invites a day or two ago.. and now we are waiting for reject letters. Lets think positive tho :)

Looking back at old e-mails... I found out that I didn't get an interview last year, on June.5th at about 3:00pm. So hopefully this means that they just haven't send out invites yet.. as nobody here has gotten an e-mail yet. But now I am even more scared.. thinking that possibly they already sent out the invites a day or two ago.. and now we are waiting for reject letters. Lets think positive tho :)

kimdan what is your gpa %?

kimdan what is your gpa %?

My GPA is in the 70's, so it could be better. But my PCAT is decent and in terms of experience and volunteer work my application is very good. Last year after the application process was over... I asked UBC how well I did compared to others, and I was apparently 8 spots away from an interview, damn so close! But since last year... I have worked full time as a pharm tech with london drugs, got my CPR C and standard/emergency first aid, volunteered with the arthritis society, have an amazing reference from my pharmacy manager and a chem prof, my OVERALL GPA went up 10% , and I scored 100% on my statistics final which counts for pharmacy. There are more things I have improved since last year, I am just too tired to remember at the moment. Basically I am hoping that something catches their eye other than my average GPA. How about yourself?

My GPA is in the 70's, so it could be better. But my PCAT is decent and in terms of experience and volunteer work my application is very good. Last year after the application process was over... I asked UBC how well I did compared to others, and I was apparently 8 spots away from an interview, damn so close! But since last year... I have worked full time as a pharm tech with london drugs, got my CPR C and standard/emergency first aid, volunteered with the arthritis society, have an amazing reference from my pharmacy manager and a chem prof, my OVERALL GPA went up 10% , and I scored 100% on my statistics final which counts for pharmacy. There are more things I have improved since last year, I am just too tired to remember at the moment. Basically I am hoping that something catches their eye other than my average GPA. How about yourself?

My Gpa is 75.5% and i got 88 on the pcat. I'm a volunteer firefighter and i have first responder level III first aid. I've also been on many volunteer councils in my high school and I have 15 hours volunteer experiance at a local pharmacy. So if your GPA this year is in the 70's that means your Gpa last year was in the 60's? I'm just trying to get a cencus as to what the cut off was for interrviews GPA-wise. Since you were so close to the cut off your GPA was probably dead on. I think you have a great shot at getting in with all your pharmacy experiance. *Fingers crossed for those interview emails today!

Kridge, last year my GPA was about 70.3%.. and sadly getting 95+ in two pharmacy pre-reqs didn't change it too too much. So it is still lower 70's :( I also had a PCAT of 87, pretty close to yours. I think our GPA is worth about 50% though, so really the rest of the application has just as much pull.. as long as it is really good. The GPA cut off as in being too low for pharmacy is 65% I am pretty sure.. although not many people have gotten accepted with that. Someone I know got accepted into pharmacy with a PCAT of 66% tho.. so just goes to prove GPA/PCAT isn't everything! Good luck~ I have to go to work now.. and be nervous all day until I get home at 10 and can check my e-mail again.

Hey Guys,

My GPA is 75% and I got an 85 on the PCAT. I volunteered in a few pharmacies this last year, but I'm not really the extracurricular type and my grades aren't that impressive so I'm not really sure about what kind of shot I have at pharmacy.

A lot of members seem to be second time applicants. What was it about the interview that didn't go well? I'm a first time applicant and was curious.

by the way STILL NO EMAIL. they said the first week of june for sure i really don't want to wait till friday.

hey guys!

i've also applied this year! i'm a first year with a good GPA (around 84%) but a pretty poor PCAT score :(. i was on many school council committees and i also volunteered and worked in retirement homes. i don't have any pharmacy experience yet, but i've spoken to many pharmacists.
i really hope we all get this email soon. i haven't been able to do anything else because this email is just sooo important right now (for all of us i'm sure)
keep posting if you hear anything and good luck!

good luck! hope everyone hears back soon

The fact that it has taken longer than usual to send out emails probably means that there is an above average amount of applicants. Which is bad news for everyone. The amount of open seats is not dependant on the amount of applicants. If 900 people apply this year it means that there is still only 150 available spots and a smaller percentage of people will be invited for an interview or get admited to the school. Sorry to **** yet again on this **** fest guys...

well this is really no fun. maybe tomorrow.
does anyone know how much the PCAT is ACTUALLY worth? i've heard it's worth 10%, 25%.. ??

well this is really no fun. maybe tomorrow.
does anyone know how much the PCAT is ACTUALLY worth? i've heard it's worth 10%, 25%.. ??

Its worth 25% in decieding whether or not you get an interview and then its worth 5% after your interview inorder to determine whether or not you recieved admission.

Before interview
50% grades
25%pcat
25% references and extra curics

After interview
40% Interview
10% Pcat references extra curic
50% Grades

thanks!

i guess that's good, bleh, wish it was 10% though :p

I've seen that breakdown of what each aspect is worth quite a bit on these forums.. has anyone actually confirmed with admissions if that is the actual breakdown or is it just a guess?

*waits* meh i can handle a couple more days. i'll need resuscitation when i DO get the email though.

Hi guys, I'm going to UBC this september (undergrad). What were your course loads like for first/second year? I'm in the process of course selection right now. ;)

This waiting game is killing me!

Got it, but now i'm so scared........

i know what you mean...

Has everyone started practising for the interview months ahead? I totally forgot about the interview and now I'm in panic...

Has everyone started practising for the interview months ahead? I totally forgot about the interview and now I'm in panic...

ALRIGHTY GUYS!!! It finally happened! All those days of waiting weren't in vain. Lets get a roster of who got the interview. We could all potentially be homies for the next 4 years. We should make a fraturnity and call it Delta Pharm. We need to rent out a massive house with 10 rooms. I'm seeing it all come together now. Not to mention that I may be getting ahead of myself. Hahahaha. Good luck everyone!

Does anybody else have to spend 500 bucks on a flight to attend the interview?

Hey guys,

Just got my interview invite as well, and really surprised too. Unlike highschool, I did not go hard academically and it showed... I hope that post-interview breakdown someone posted is what it really is, so I'd have a shot.

To the person above: Are you sure there isn't a phone interview alternative? I live in Richmond, but when my brother applied to U of Waterloo couple years back, he didn't have to fly over there. Maybe double check before your buy that ticket!