UAB (out of state) vs. USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sub 4 miler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post! I'm really sorry, I'm sure you guys get a ton of these threads, but in this case I think there may be some people out there whose perspective I can really gain from.
For the past week, I've been doing tons of research on here, but I have never posted or looked on here before that (obviously...first post), so I'd say I'm relatively uninformed...

I'm from Florida, and I've been accepted to USF, but I've also been accepted to UAB as an out of state applicant. Here are the spark notes on the pros and cons from where I'm sitting:

UAB
pros - National recognition (rank)
cons- Money- $60k/yr tuition out of state, also, I just don't really want to live in Alabama. The beach is my home.

USF
pros - I'd be much happier in Tampa, and it's half the price
cons - National recognition (or lack thereof)

I am in this for a competitive residency. I'm a very competitive guy, and I've worked hard to get into a well-regarded school like UAB. So my question is this:
Although I would be happier at USF, will it be worth the extra $120k and pain of living in Alabama when it comes down to try and land a competitive residency 4 years from now?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I'm accepted at UM and hoping to get into UAB. I feel the same, FL is home, but UAB is a great school too. The only reason I lean towards UAB is because my fiance would be much happier in Birmingham vs Miami, and I don't really care where I live. USF is an up and coming school, and could potentially be ranked by the time you graduate (which is what matters). I would wait until the Match lists get posted from this week and compare. Thats what I've been doing. UM matches into some more competitive fields, but I've found the schools people go to are somewhat similar. Do other things matter like grading, integrated/vs traditional curriculum,and usmle scores? I think UAB said their scores are about the national average, and they're pass/fail- look into these factors at USF. USMLE scores obviously dictate residency matches, so that might help you decide.

I'm in the same boat. I'm accepted at UM and hoping to get into UAB. I feel the same, FL is home, but UAB is a great school too. The only reason I lean towards UAB is because my fiance would be much happier in Birmingham vs Miami, and I don't really care where I live. USF is an up and coming school, and could potentially be ranked by the time you graduate (which is what matters). I would wait until the Match lists get posted from this week and compare. Thats what I've been doing. UM matches into some more competitive fields, but I've found the schools people go to are somewhat similar. Do other things matter like grading, integrated/vs traditional curriculum,and usmle scores? I think UAB said their scores are about the national average, and they're pass/fail- look into these factors at USF. USMLE scores obviously dictate residency matches, so that might help you decide.
Ya, USF is definitely on the way up, and they seem to match as well, if not better, than any other school in Florida (at least for the past 2 years). They put kids into some big time residencies, I'm just trying to quantify how much going to UAB would help that along...

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don't know much about USF, but I live in Birmingham and have worked for UAB. Honestly, I don't think the $60K tuition is worth it. If you are interested in doing research, UAB is good; however, a lot of really talented professors have left in the past couple years because UAB likes to play games with their funding. I'm also not too excited about their curriculum because it seems like they are still having issues with it. Overall, I'd say go where you're most comfortable and genuinely happy. I haven't been accepted to UAB yet, but I was accepted to South Alabama and if I'm giving the choice I'm definitely choosing South because I fit in better there. Good luck with your choice!

Although I would be happier at USF, will it be worth the extra $120k and pain of living in Alabama when it comes down to try and land a cometitive residency 4 years from now?
No way. Speaking as someone who has actually gone through the residency app process, I can tell you that the most important factors are your clerkship grades, Step 1 score, AOA status, LORs, and maybe research experience in certain specialties. The school you attended is a very minor factor, if it even plays into the equation at all. No matter where you go, the way you get into a competitive residency is by doing well in medical school, not by attending a certain school.

It would be hard enough if you were going to attend a school you weren't excited about to save money (although I'd completely applaud you for making that decision). But to give up the school you like better *and* that is $120,000 cheaper over four years--dude, if you do that because of some pie in the sky premed notion of "prestige," then you are certifiably insane. Choosing USF is a no-brainer, game over, and I should just close this thread now. :p

Go to USF.

- UAB waitlister.

I'm going to UAB because it's instate. 60 K a year is a lot of money.

GO to UAB! USF is losing its accreditation next year....
:wow:
Love, USF Waitlister

Ha!

I agree with many of the others. Go to USF. It's a good school that's up and coming, and it'll save you tons of cash. If you've made it this far, you're hopefully determined enough to put in the studying for a few more years to get good grades and a great step 1.

Ha, this almost legitimately scared me for a minute! Thanks for all the great responses guys!

I would go to USF, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I'm a UAB waitlistee. UAB's out of state tuition is 59K a year, and USF is a great school with a fantastic location.

Status
Not open for further replies.