U of Waterloo pharmacy applications for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also would like a roommate. There is an orientation sometime, that will probably give people a chance to meet in person and everything. On the facebook group it seems as though some first years met on facebook, or at the orientation, etc and decided to share rooms together. Really sharing just seems sensible because of the costs of the single and double rooms.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for your input guys!! I've thought of all of these points too and it's just driving me crazy...oh well I guess I'll just have to wait and see till Friday...

Last edited by a moderator:
The orientation sounds like a really good idea to meet everyone. Around what time last year did it happen? Does the school organize the event or the social committee?

Members don't see this ad :)
After you accept your offer, we'll send you further program, orientation, and course enrollment information throughout the summer.

....that's from the acceptance email so it sounds like orientation is sometime in the fall although i really have no idea

also good luck on friday daydreambelieve and everyone else who applied to toronto i wish you all the best!!

actually i think the orientation might be like the first week of school? i have no idea i'm confused.. so i guess i'm no help haha

yeah i have a feeling its the first week actually..although it would be nice to meet before for living arrangements

first off, congrats everyone! ;)

now my silly questions:

1) I just accepted the offer...does it now say 'Intention to Matriculate' for everyone too in their status thingy?

2) There was no acceptance deposit right?

thanks in advance

Hey guys

Did anyone think of some good pros for going to U of T.. i haven't thought of many. I think i'm just going to accept Waterloo... I think just the curiosity of whether I got into U of T is what's preventing me from accepting the waterloo offer

Aside from the fact that Uoft has a more well estabished program, they offer more research and scholarship opportunities. At WAterloo, I believe they have a 4th year project as an elective for students and I'm not sure how many research positions there are for co-op. If you're interested in being solely a practising pharmacist, I definitely think Waterloo offers a more practical curriculum. And of course, WAterloo's pharmacy dean was a former associate dean at Uoft, so Waterloo's curriculum may be the new and improved version of what is offered at Uoft. And another thing to consider is that the faculty at Waterloo's pharmacy program is composed primarmily of assistant professors, so their teaching and examination style may not be as polished as associate or full professors. But there are still great researchers at Waterloo. One is even from the Scripps Institute!

Last edited:
congrats to class of 2013!!!!

super happy for you guys. guess it's our turn to plan your phrosh week (it isn't much though :p hehe)

I got into both waterloo and U of T. I am leaning toward waterloo, however there is one thing that concerns me about the pharmacy program at waterloo. Currently, U of W pharmacy receives qualifying accreditation, whereas U of T has full accreditation. So can students who graduate from U of W pharmacy write the pharmacist board exam after graduation? Is there a risk of losing accrditation and not able to write the board exam and become a pharmacist?

I know it is kind of late. I just thought of that question.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently, full accreditation is dependent on whether the first class completes the program and graduates. That's what my friend from the first class told me. And I highly doubt Waterloo is the kind of university that would muck up an accreditation.

hey first off congrats to all you ppl who got in! I just have a question about how lean waterloo is this year with applicants missing some pre-reqs. Did you get accepted missing one or two or whatever pre-reqs?

hey anthony!

Personally I finished all the pre-reqs so I have no idea.. but I would like to warn you that on the admission profile that each applicant must fill out prior to applying to UW, there is a specific section where you must write down the course equivalents that you have completed at your given university for each of the pre-req courses required......on this section of the profile it specifically states that missing pre-reqs puts applicants at a disadvantage.....furthermore, if you are missing any pre-reqs and do not provide the university with an "action plan" outlining how you intend on completing all the pre-reqs prior to the start of school in January then you are put at an even further disadvantage

Honestly... I think I've suggested this before to some others... but I would differently try to complete the courses because

- I've heard a few times from different sources that the school will become increasingly less lenient with students missing pre-reqs as more and more admission cycles are completed (as time goes by they expect applying students to become more familiar with UW admission expectations)

and

-Completing the pre-reqs makes you more competitive.. and also makes it look like you cared enough to make the effort... if you think about it if you were really interested in attending a specific school the very least you could do is actually attempt to finish the pre-req courses prior to applying

thhaaaaat being said it seems as though many students have trouble finding equivalencies for the thermochem course that they require so really it could be out of your control...so if you can't complete the pre-reqs due to reasons such as this I'm sure UW would be very understanding

and that's a good point about the accreditation.. but I heard the same thing.. that it won't be fully accredited until a class graduates.. and I agree Waterloo is a great school and I highly doubt.. with the program being what it is.. that it would somehow end up not being accredited

I am also missing the Microbiolog pre-requisite, I was planning to take the MGY377 course from U of T, but it's limited to people in certain programs, and I might not get in. So I'm thinking about the Distance education thing, hopefully there's still spot since I replied them on July 2nd.

So anyone found a place to live yet? Anyone want to be room mates? Girls are preferred :D

Hey I'm aslo taking microbio as a distance course from waterloo! maybe we can help each other out during the term! :D

I am also missing the Microbiolog pre-requisite, I was planning to take the MGY377 course from U of T, but it's limited to people in certain programs, and I might not get in. So I'm thinking about the Distance education thing, hopefully there's still spot since I replied them on July 2nd.

So anyone found a place to live yet? Anyone want to be room mates? Girls are preferred :D

Is anyone planning to go for PharmD program that Waterloo will be offering.

Hey I'm aslo taking microbio as a distance course from waterloo! maybe we can help each other out during the term! :D

Hey yeah! good, I thought I was going to be isolated. Did you apply for the course yet? Do we have to reply to the email to apply? Because it usually takes them days before they get back to you.

Yeh, I replied them already, but they haven't got back to me yet. It says our status will change to part time once they activate our registration, but I don't see anything different on QUEST. I hope they tell us whether we get a spot cuz we'll need to find backup if we don't get it.

Hey yeah! good, I thought I was going to be isolated. Did you apply for the course yet? Do we have to reply to the email to apply? Because it usually takes them days before they get back to you.

Anyone planning to take Chem254 through distance?
where are you planning to take it

For those planning to take Microbio through distance at Waterloo. how are you planning to apply for OSAP. where can I find the application.

Hey,
I just got a e-mail from Laurie Hanley that I got enrolled into BIOL 140 (distance course). Check your e-mail to see if you've got it too.

Hey guys,

I'm planning to take Chem 254 at UOFT or McMaster...anyone planning on taking it there?

Hi everyone,

I have noticed quite a few threads where people are worried about the future of pharmacy in the US. As far as I know, there has been a huge shortage in Canada and there should remain a shortage for the next 5 years atleast. What are your opinions on the stability and job prospects for pharmacy in the future?

Hey,
I just got a e-mail from Laurie Hanley that I got enrolled into BIOL 140 (distance course). Check your e-mail to see if you've got it too.

Yep, but it's an email asking me if I would like to be enrolled, that's because I sent in the request on July 2nd. So I'm still waiting for the officially "enrolled" email.

Is anyone planning to go for PharmD program that Waterloo will be offering.

I didn't know that they would be doing this for sure? Where did you find out about this and when would it start?

For those planning to take Microbio through distance at Waterloo. how are you planning to apply for OSAP. where can I find the application.

You can't apply for OSAP if your only taking ONE course that semmester. I believe that you have to have a minimum of 1.5 credits (3 half year courses) to qualify for OSAP.

And as anxious was asking where did you hear that Waterloo was going to offer the Pharm D.

Apparently we have to do First Aid with Level C - CPR before we start our first work term. Is any one planning to take it before they start 1st semmester?

Hey Anxious68,
I'm planning to apply to MUN next year. I was wondering what your stats were like and whether you got in? I just wanted insight as to what my chances are of getting in.

Thanks a bunch :).

Around an 83% average..the interview seems to only be based on marks. I have a degree in biochem from Queen's.

The interview is when they find out more about you. I have volunteered in a hospital pharmacy for a year, volunteered in various hospital departments for the past 8 yrs, and worked as a cancer research assistant for a summer.

There is also a test on the day of the interview.

Hey Anxious68,
I'm planning to apply to MUN next year. I was wondering what your stats were like and whether you got in? I just wanted insight as to what my chances are of getting in.

Oh and I was accepted into the program. I was initially put on a waitlist but moved off very quickly. I think only 5 people are placed on the waitlist...

Hey Anxious68,

hi everyone

I go to UTSG and I was wondering if anyone had taken the online microbio course at uwaterloo to fullfill the requirement?

on the side, what was the application fee for uwaterloo?

thanks

i'll be taking the online microbio course in Sept. from UW.
The fee is about $560...

hi everyone

I go to UTSG and I was wondering if anyone had taken the online microbio course at uwaterloo to fullfill the requirement?

on the side, what was the application fee for uwaterloo?

thanks

i'll be taking the online microbio course in Sept. from UW.
The fee is about $560...

Hey enileve, I dropped the online course and enrolled in the U of T course, I enrolled today and there was 150 something spots left this morning, just in case if you are interested.

Hey enileve, I dropped the online course and enrolled in the U of T course, I enrolled today and there was 150 something spots left this morning, just in case if you are interested.

Thanks for the reply, $560 is ok, it's still cheaper than UT

but with UofT they want you to FINISH 2nd year of bio :( as pre-req.

Does anyone know what the pharmacy application fee for UW is?

thanks

Last edited:
it's $180 if i remember correctly....

Thanks for the reply, $560 is ok, it's still cheaper than UT

but with UofT they want you to FINISH 2nd year of bio :( as pre-req.

Does anyone know what the pharmacy application fee for UW is?

thanks

hey, thanks for the info. i can't take it from U of T cuz I graduated from U of T already, and I missed the deadline for applying as a part time student (back in March or something)....so I'm stuck with Loo.

just wondering if anyone is taking the Microbio DE course from UW this fall...

Hi everyone,

First of all congradulations on your acceptances! Best of luck in the Jan semester and upcoming years!

I have a question as to the choice between uoft and waterloo. I am leaning towards toronto but Waterloo sends out acceptances first. Is there a deposit once you get accepted to waterloo? in case there is a wait period before finding uoft acceptances. If there is, how much is it? Would I be able to accept and then decline?

I'm hoping to be so fortunate! haha

Thanks so much!:xf:

Congrats to everyone who got in!

Just wondering whether anyone has information on the spots that became available for the Jan2010 class? Did anyone apply for this option?

Cheers!

Hi

Anyone with any information about the limited spaces available for 2010? Did anyone get an interview yet?

just curious did everyone who have an average GPA and all the pre-requistes get accepted this year? It seems that some people got accepted even though they didn't complete them and makes me feel that its not that much of an advantage if do complete the pre-requistes.

Yep got an interview for the limited space... kinda nervous. Anyone else get one?

just curious did everyone who have an average GPA and all the pre-requistes get accepted this year? It seems that some people got accepted even though they didn't complete them and makes me feel that its not that much of an advantage if do complete the pre-requistes.

Well... those without pre-req's could have gotten an interview, but it's no guarantee of admission.

Yep got an interview for the limited space... kinda nervous. Anyone else get one?

Congrats!
I got an interview too :) and im also nervous :S
Do you know the actual number of spots available and how many will be interviewd?

Not sure, I was told there are 8 spots available at this time... I doubt that they would interview more than 2 candidates per spot (but then again who knows right? hehe).

When is your interview, Monday or Sunday?