U of Waterloo pharmacy applications for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUBran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody could share some stats with me, I applied to the UW pharmacy program last week and I am just looking for some insight! Who applied last year and got in, or didn't get in, or got an interview but didn't get in? What was your GPA and did you have pharmacy experience..? Any information would be appreciated!:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody could share some stats with me, I applied to the UW pharmacy program last week and I am just looking for some insight! Who applied last year and got in, or didn't get in, or got an interview but didn't get in? What was your GPA and did you have pharmacy experience..? Any information would be appreciated!:cool:
i was planning to apply but they have too many requirements. Also very competitive.

I don't know about competitive, but I agree on the "too many requirements". Their chemistry requirement is insane. Most university offer kinetics, equlibra, thermodynamics etc... in the same intro chem (2 semester) course, but they split it into three courses... hard to equivalent courses at other universities.

Members don't see this ad :)
average for class that entered January 2009: 82% ish
almost 50% have a bachelors
about 80% have previous employed pharmacy experience (mostly retail, but also includes hospital and industry)
about 30% did their undergrad at UW
only 1 i think is out of province
that's about it i think

seriously? just ONE out of province? that can't be...that's less than 1% of the accepted? I would think it would be at least...10%

average for class that entered January 2009: 82% ish
almost 50% have a bachelors
about 80% have previous employed pharmacy experience (mostly retail, but also includes hospital and industry)
about 30% did their undergrad at UW
only 1 i think is out of province
that's about it i think

Wow! I'm surprised so many people have experience working in a pharmacy.

Thanks for all the information. As it turns out I am short a chemistry course on the course equivalencies.. Thermodynamics 1, which was partially covered in my intro chem 2 class. Does anybody get in without having all the prereqs? I have heard before that most of the people who get in don't have all of the prereqs, not sure if it's true though..

For those who are applying, what do you think of question 8: .Please tell us anything else about yourself that you would like the Admissions Committee to know when reviewing your application. (300 words maximum)

Could this answer be an extension or supplement to the previous written questions? or is it more of a space to explain previous problems with not taking full course load or grades, etc?

Wow! That's a lot of people who have prior experience in a pharmacy.

It is true that students have gotten in without pre-reqs; however, you do have to complete the pre-reqs if you are accepted sometime in the fall term after you are accepted. I wouldn't say that most people who got in don't have pre-reqs because from what I see in my class, most people had pre-reqs. It was just the thermodynamics course that was hard for people to equivalate.

They clearly say that you require all the pre-reqs. Perhaps there may be special cases where you have one or two students for whatever reason, don't finish the pre reqs.

What are my chances of getting an interview this year, my stats are:
3.5 cumulative GPA
3.7 pre-req GPA
volunteering at a pharmacy for a year
LOR from a pharmacist
Plenty of EC's

Could anyone who is applying or who got accepted last year please post there stats so I know where I stand?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-requisite GPA: 3.4 (still missing 3 courses)
Cumulative GPA: 3.57
Finished my Degree Last November
2 year of Pharmacy Volunteer Experience
6 months volunteering at Physician's Clinic
Currently working at a Doctor's office
LOR from a Pharmacist
Many extracurricular activities
On 2nd and 3rd Year Honours List

Does anyone know when would we hear from them for interview invitation?

G'luck Everyone....:thumbup:

I don't go to UW, but you guys sound very qualified to me. :)

Pre-requisite GPA: 3.4 (still missing 3 courses)
Cumulative GPA: 3.57
Finished my Degree Last November
2 year of Pharmacy Volunteer Experience
6 months volunteering at Physician's Clinic
Currently working at a Doctor's office
LOR from a Pharmacist
Many extracurricular activities
On 2nd and 3rd Year Honours List

Does anyone know when would we hear from them for interview invitation?

G'luck Everyone....:thumbup:

We should get our invitations this Friday.

What are my chances of getting an interview this year, my stats are:
3.5 cumulative GPA
3.7 pre-req GPA
volunteering at a pharmacy for a year
LOR from a pharmacist
Plenty of EC's

Could anyone who is applying or who got accepted last year please post there stats so I know where I stand?

Those stats look really good! I'll be surprised if you don't get an interview. Good luck!! 3 days left!

For those who are applying, what do you think of question 8: .Please tell us anything else about yourself that you would like the Admissions Committee to know when reviewing your application. (300 words maximum)

Could this answer be an extension or supplement to the previous written questions? or is it more of a space to explain previous problems with not taking full course load or grades, etc?

Be careful not to sound whiny i.e. about taking hard courses and getting lower grades than you are capable of..i thought this question was a trap when i answered it last year! ahah. you can use them as opportunities either to explain other strengths you have that were not addressed in other questions or mention some areas where you could be more competitive, and what your action plans are to improve yourself - i.e. if you feel that you pharmacy experience was confined to a specific area only, for eg. retail, then you might want to add that you are interested in and will be gaining exposure to other areas like hospital, industry, etc.

as long as u sound proactive and have a structured plan in mind the ad com. will be impressed with it. good luck!!

Is it true that 90% of UW pharmacy students are Caucasian?

i believe we find out thursday morning about interviews..right???

Thank you for replying, I did exactly that! Hoping for good news today or tomorrow :D

Be careful not to sound whiny i.e. about taking hard courses and getting lower grades than you are capable of..i thought this question was a trap when i answered it last year! ahah. you can use them as opportunities either to explain other strengths you have that were not addressed in other questions or mention some areas where you could be more competitive, and what your action plans are to improve yourself - i.e. if you feel that you pharmacy experience was confined to a specific area only, for eg. retail, then you might want to add that you are interested in and will be gaining exposure to other areas like hospital, industry, etc.

as long as u sound proactive and have a structured plan in mind the ad com. will be impressed with it. good luck!!

Has anybody received an interview e-mail yet?

not yet..do we get an email even if we don't get an interview?

Nope, no e-mail yet for me either.

we are supposed to find out by noon..so they should be coming soon..

I emailed the school yesterday...I don't know if we find out either way though..hoping for some good news soon!

I emailed the school yesterday...I don't know if we find out either way though..hoping for some good news soon!

Ok, great. Now I'm getting anxious about it haha. I'll probably just stay online refreshing my email sporadically until noon.

Last year, acceptances and rejections for the interviews were sent out on the same day..

no idea what is taking so long...anyone heard yet?

has anyone heard yet???

and are we getting an email either way?

it is up to the registrar's office now. they release the emails. it could be anytime today. they normally take a while. i tried calling them but could not get ahold of anyone.

SWEET. Just got an interview!

Me tooo!! I think I might be one of the first ones to go..mine is on May 1st! When do you guys have yours?

for those that got interviews..what are your marks like? do you go to canadian schools?

i was shocked completely when i got a deny email today. my sci gpa is an 80 (or A) and my overall is 79 (or B). i have 4+ years pharm tech experience, been through family tragedies that affected my marks, and have #@%* loads of EC's, most of them leadership/foundation positions.

i'm a 3rd year graduating with a BSc in the summer, but i'm missing the genetics, biochem and physical chem pre-reqs. but, like wtf not even an interview? i had an interview at UBuffalo on a friday and they accepted me 3 days later on the monday!

Does anybody know how many people applied, and how many were invited for an interview?

Does anybody know how many people applied, and how many were invited for an interview?

I don't know how many applied but on the website, it says that about 240 people are invited for interviews.

aleemmerani, are you an out of province student? The rest of your stats sound competitive. :confused:

last year there were 500 applicants .. but that number was supposed to increase this year as people become more familiar with the program.

200 people were interviewed last year for approx 120 spots.

Hey guys...I have an inteview at Waterloo as well. I was just wondering if everyone who gets an interview starts out with a clean slate or is the interview/RC/WS given a certain weight and the rest of the application another weight when it comes time to making a final admissions decision. Thanks.

I don't know how many applied but on the website, it says that about 240 people are invited for interviews.

aleemmerani, are you an out of province student? The rest of your stats sound competitive. :confused:

hey xMav, no I go to Brock in Ontario (and NO, I highly doubt the school matters in the admission's process lol).

I was thinking about calling them but I always get transferred to Julie Pocock who seems to ALWAYS BE ON VACATION AND AWAY FROM HER DESK IT'S FRUSTRATING. Thanks for your reply hopefully others will reply with their stats as well.

hey xMav, no I go to Brock in Ontario (and NO, I highly doubt the school matters in the admission's process lol).

I was thinking about calling them but I always get transferred to Julie Pocock who seems to ALWAYS BE ON VACATION AND AWAY FROM HER DESK IT'S FRUSTRATING lol. Thanks for your reply hopefully others will reply with their stats as well.

for those that got interviews..what are your marks like? do you go to canadian schools?

i was shocked completely when i got a deny email today. my sci gpa is an 80 (or A) and my overall is 79 (or B). i have 4+ years pharm tech experience, been through family tragedies that affected my marks, and have #@%* loads of EC's, most of them leadership/foundation positions.

i'm a 3rd year graduating with a BSc in the summer, but i'm missing the genetics, biochem and physical chem pre-reqs. but, like wtf not even an interview? i had an interview at UBuffalo on a friday and they accepted me 3 days later on the monday!

It may be due to the fact that you are missing three pre-requisite courses. I've heard of people getting in when they were missing only one course, but three is quite a bit. Plus they look more strongly on the pre-req GPA.

I was wondering if any students who had interviews last year can give me some advice:

I am a little bit worried for the first 5-10 minutes of the interview.. the presentation part. I'm just wondering how "creative" I should be... I do want to try to be at least a little bit creative because I think it will help me to be memorable.. but at the same time I want to appear professional and mature. I went to an academic adviser at my uni, and she strongly suggested a visual aid.. which I agree would probably help my case...

ok so that was my worried/freaking out/i'm going to fail ramblings lol
I guess my concern is that I don't want to be "uncreative" (if that's a word) because I'm afraid that it will appear as though i didn't try to prepare something special....alternatively I don't want to be crazy creative because I feel that it might take away from the professionalism and maturity i wish to convey

any insights would help!

ps..i'm also thinking to stay away from topics that are too academic because i don't want to appear unidimensional or like i have no life outside of school... or should i be really academic???

bah!

Hey guys,

If I haven't said this to you yet in a personal message, CONGRATS!! One more week till the interview..hope u guys are all prepping well in the midst of exams. I've decided to compile a list of FAQs and answers - hopefully this will answer most of your questions.

Q: How many applicants are interviewed and how many are accepted?
A: Most of you know this already; 240 interviewed, 120 accepted.

Q: What should we do for our 5-10 minute spiel?
A: As the email from Louise might have mentioned already, "this is NOT the time to describe your academic achievements at length, recite your CV, or describe your ambitions for a career as a pharmacist".

First you have to ask yourself what is one thing that you are passionate about? For many ppl this can be completely off-topic from pharmacy, health care, or anything along the lines of "helping people". Let me give some examples:

- your passion in a particular area; dance, music, camping, just to come up with examples on the spot :p
- you're a hardcore traveler and want to share the different cultures and religions you gained appreciation of
- you were part of student government and did something spectacular, or something you thought you weren't able to do
- you were involved in some project and the turnout was great, or not so much, but you learned something out of it..

Whatever you decide to talk about, remember to have a powerful conclusion at the end of the interview to tell the panel why they should know this about you. Afterall, they really aren't THAT interested in your personal life (to be realistic here :p), but what they want to do is to be able to make the connection between the experience you just described to
an attitude or behaviour that is desired in the profession. If you can make that connection for them in ur conclusion they'll do less work, be happier, and score you more points :p Also, remember that it's not just the content that they're paying attention to; some ppl are good at making eye contact only when they are listening, speaking, or neither. Your goal is to do that for all instances but do not glare at them :p; shows that you are attentive and observant of your surroundings. Watch for non-verbal behaviour (i.e. interviewer looking bored or anticipating you to provide a better example to illustrate a point you just said)

i.e. a passionate dancer can elaborate on their committment to things in life, once they have made a decision pursue a goal. This is a trait that pharmacists should have.

Q: What kinds of questions are asked?
For me they were all behavioural-type; for example, "tell me a time when you showed so-and-so trait". The trait can be persuasive skills, problem-solving, communicating with people who are unwilling to listen, etc. These parallel the kinds of situations that pharmacists deal with on a regular basis, like talking to difficult patients and dealing with compliance issues, which is why they would ask questions like that.

Remember everytime you're about to speak, structure your answer. Do not ramble. which is something i did..not good lol. It's very easy to go on a tangent and then suddenly realize that there was no good purpose of saying it. Not only does it waste interview time, it also misses the oumph of your answer. Have an introduction to briefly describe the situation, be clear on the type of problem you had to address, how you went to address/solve the problem (or attempted to), and what you learned from the experience to wrap up. Do this for every single question.

If there are any at-the-spot questions, for eg. "what would you do if you were in this situation?" then take some time to think about it if you need to (not for too long). Don't feel pressured to jump into it right away and risk giving choppy answers that lack coherency. I can't give much advice on this since I haven't had any of this type, but mock interviewers will definitely give you good practice.

Q: What is the RC/WT like?
Last year this was a scientific article (about 8 pages) with the usual components intro, methods, discussion, conclusion. We had to summarize it and write in a tone that targets a university student population. Time limit was 50 minutes. The article assumes that you will have some basic knowledge in statistics like p values, but really..content wise there's nothing to worry about. The article will very unlikely describe some novel cancer gene or protein structure that has some crazy active site with so and so amino acids.. none of that. So no need to read up on a molecular bio textbook the night before..but do practice summarizing articles in a set time limit. THey want to know that you are able to pinpoint the important points under time pressure and piece it together. Summarize each part (intro, methods) on its own and try to have them flow from one to the next. It's definitely much more a test of your writing/reading filtering abilities rather than knowledge of the subject matter itself.

Are you guys actually getting a scientific article this year? Who knows..they might even change it around..

Q: How are the different components weighed?
Keep in mind, once you are in the interview stage, the admissions committee is already pretty comfortable with your academic competence. The interview is to see how well you can interact with others. Our applications last year were closed file (prolly for you guys too), so it's nice that they don't want your marks or "resume components" to set any biased views on the interview panel.. which means that your interviewers will really know nothing about you and you're starting off with a blank slate.

I would say that the interview is weighed more heavily than the RC/WT, cuz i thought i did pretty horribly on the test hahaha. The exact breakdown is not published. But be assured that marks should not be a major concern for you right now. The only reason they would go back to your online application is to make sure pre-reqs are completed and final exam marks are not horrible.. other than that, your interview day is the really the day to shine and make the lasting impression.

I think that's pretty much all the questions you guys asked..feel free to remind me of more as they pop up.. and before i close it off, here are some additional tips though i'm sure you've heard enough of them already :p

1. Relax, relax, relax. The more you do the better your interview performance, and the more opportunity for light humour to enter the atmosphere.. that always makes things more positive for the interview panel. (use humour carefully!)

2. If there is one thing that wins the interview panel, it would be your passion. It's observed in the way you answer your questions, the way you conduct yourself, body-language. Don't use it more than you feel natural doing but do try to use some hand gestures occasionally to communicate the message more effecitvely.

3. Get enough sleep the night before.

4. Don't get intimidated by what other interviewees bring with them to the interview. These can range from resume copies to laptops to karate gear to paintings to..nothing at all (=me). (i'm glad sadiq isn't on SDN.. or maybe he is ahhaha). These ppl bring what they feel are necessary to illustrate their passion/interests and will help them communicate their 5-10 min spiel more effectively. If you feel that you don't need that kinda stuff, chances are, you don't. Trust you instincts and make your interview experience your own, not on others' standards.

5. Try to have some fun in the interview. Your interviews will pretty tired by the time you walk in, (depending on which slot you're in). Regardless of what happens, it's the experience that you're getting =)

aight boys and girls, that's it for me for now. pop anymore questions you have here! If it's something you feel will benefit everyone, please post them here insetad of PM-ing me. But if it's something more personal, then feel free :)

GOOD LUCK! Who's going on Sunday morning btw? I'll be there to help out (i.e. freak you guys out :p)

-viv