U of Waterloo pharmacy applications for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
forgot to mention one more thing:

You will likely be asked whether you have any questions for the interviewers.. don't say you don't have any. Prepare at least one!!

This can be anything, about the school, the curriculum, about its future plans (read up on the UW pharm website to catch up on any updates they have with the family health clinics and interprofessional stuff..they're big on that). Again, this shows that you are not only passionate about the profession, but that you know what the school's values are and why you would be a matching candidate.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks that's so helpful!!!...i'm done my last exam at 10 tonight so i'll be mad stressing all next week whoo!

i'm on sunday morning so i won't see you but just let it be known that you my friend are an extremely helpful person and that is pretty awesome

are most people bringing in cue cards for prompts? or are you completely memorizing your first 5 - 10 minutes?

Members don't see this ad :)
are most people bringing in cue cards for prompts? or are you completely memorizing your first 5 - 10 minutes?

i don't think cue cards are a good idea. You want to make your 5-10 mins as natural as possible, so if you need to look at ur notes for reminders it will make you appear less confident. rehearse but don't over-rehearse - you will say something different each time, but if general structure and key ideas are addressed that's good enough. hope that helps!

Thanks you Shunsistoesis, for the helpful advice. My interview is around 3:30pm, so I think they'll all be tired by then. lol I just hope I won't bore them. And one thing I am scared of is weird questions that pop up, even though there will be behavioral questions. Do they ask the bahavior questions in the form of "Tell me a time when you ..." or "You encountered this problem, what will you do?" Or is it a mixture of both?

Thanks you Shunsistoesis, for the helpful advice. My interview is around 3:30pm, so I think they'll all be tired by then. lol I just hope I won't bore them. And one thing I am scared of is weird questions that pop up, even though there will be behavioral questions. Do they ask the bahavior questions in the form of "Tell me a time when you ..." or "You encountered this problem, what will you do?" Or is it a mixture of both?

You're right, the behaviour questions are in the form of "tell me a time when you __" . They may ask you on-the-spot questions which are "What would you do if ____" ; so they basically throw you a situation and you have to answer Qs about it. For me, i never had the latter type of questions. prepare for both just in case.

This is a weird question but I'm thinking maybe some other people have wondered about this.. do you remember the set up of the interview room? I've emailed Louise Buhlman asking but i'm worried she might not get back to me in time.. I'm asking because i have a few visuals for my talk and i can;t possible hold them all while presenting..I was kind of hoping for a table to be in the room.. also how close are you to the interviewers during the talk? i kind of want to stand closer so I feel like i'm actually conversing with people as opposed to presenting to them

finally one more.. do you remember how many questions they asked you ( i know it depends on how long your answers are) but roughtly?? ..not that it actually matters but i feel like knowing a general number would be comforting for some reason :laugh:

i lied one more... so you suggest no notes whatsoever?? (i was thinking cue cards were a horrible idea) but i was maybe thinking bringing one with general points in case i reallllly blank out

I was wondering how many people are going to be interviewing us?

This is a weird question but I'm thinking maybe some other people have wondered about this.. do you remember the set up of the interview room? I've emailed Louise Buhlman asking but i'm worried she might not get back to me in time.. I'm asking because i have a few visuals for my talk and i can;t possible hold them all while presenting..I was kind of hoping for a table to be in the room.. also how close are you to the interviewers during the talk? i kind of want to stand closer so I feel like i'm actually conversing with people as opposed to presenting to them

finally one more.. do you remember how many questions they asked you ( i know it depends on how long your answers are) but roughtly?? ..not that it actually matters but i feel like knowing a general number would be comforting for some reason :laugh:

Danone91: what kind of visuals are they? there is a table in the room, more so a desk actually, just for the interviewers to jot down notes and questions on. I think it's best for you to keep in touch with Louise to request for any special arrangements. She is probably bombarded with emails - try calling her instead.

In a way you are actually presenting to them rather than conversing in the first 5-10 mins. They will not be interrupting you at all.. you just go on, make ur spiel and then they ask you questions. the rooms are quite small in my opinion, just enough to fit 3 interviewers, you and a table in between. The tables are round instead of rectangular so it feels less intimidating. so yea, you'll be pretty close to them in terms of distance.

I was asked 5 questions total.

i lied one more... so you suggest no notes whatsoever?? (i was thinking cue cards were a horrible idea) but i was maybe thinking bringing one with general points in case i reallllly blank out

I suggest no notes. But if you feel that would make u more comfortable then by all means :) Remember, make your spiel focused, specific and goal-oriented. You want them to get one or two main ideas from your presentation that stands out to them like ink on paper. For eg. Don't try to cram in a whole bunch of qualities that you have in your conclusion that you haven't exactly demonstrated in your description of your experience. If your presentation flows logically (i.e. i did so and so, i faced so and so, and I've learned to so and so) then maybe you won't need notes anymore. just my 2 cents.

I was wondering how many people are going to be interviewing us?

Wanqus: a standard number would be 3. They could be a mix of faculty members and pharmacists, or pharmacists only.

Winter transcripts should automatically be sent. You probably need to arrange for summer transcripts to be sent separately.

It seems as though the thread has sort of "died." How did everyone find the interview / test??

It is going to be a very long wait until June 17th unfortunately.

Did anyone apply elsewhere or have interviews at other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really, the winter transcripts are automatically sent, are you sure?

The test was easy. I wish I had answered some of my interview questions a bit differently but my opening ten minutes went pretty good.

And no, I have not applied anywhere else, since I haven't taken my PCAT yet.

When you filled out your ouac form in January you should have selected for final transcripts to be sent. Also, you can check your Quest account to ensure they have been received.

Only UBC and UT require the PCAT. I haven't written mine either but I applied to Dal, MUN, Sask, and Alberta..so I was just wondering if some people on here also applied to other schools.

I agree with you on the interview :).

I checked on Quest and under the "My Transcripts" tab it states "Work in Progress" for my university transcript. Does it say that for you guys too? I sure hope I picked that option to send final transcript..

I am sure you did..

You have a couple options though..

First log in to your quest account and check the date that your transcript was last updated..if the date was recent..(may)..they received your latest transcript

Have you finished your degree??..It says "work in progress" if you have not..I have finished my degree and it still said "work in progress" so I contacted Louise and she updated it

If nothing has been updated and you are not sure if you chose to send your winter marks..call ouac..they will tell you that you can only speak to the University of Waterloo about your application..but tell them you just want to know if you selected for your final transcript to be sent..they can give you that information!

Hope that helps!!

Thank you! It says it was last updated February 2nd.. which makes me doubt that I selected that option (out of character for me.. I am always very thorough, perhaps not this time though). I am not finished my degree so that explains the Work in Progress status. I e-mailed OUAC but I think I will take your advice and call! Too much weighing on this to just leave it up to the OUAC office nerd who answers the e-mails! Thanks again!

Does anyone know how the last stage of selection? Is it going to be based on overall performance on interview , written test, marks and profile or only interview and test?
Thanks for any anyone who wants to share some thoughts .

i think that selection will be based mostly on interview and test...but i am not completely sure (just a guess)..

anyways just curious..but how many people have completed their degree? applied to other schools? etc.

one week to wait....

not done my degree (one year left) applied to u of t too nowhere else...my friend just got an interview to BC though so i'm regretting not applying out of province myself

Do you have a preference between the two? I couldn't apply to UBC or U of T because i have not written my PCATs. But, I applied to Alberta, Saskatchewan, and MUN. I had an interview last week at MUN.

Where have you done your undergrad so far?

This last week is going to seem like a very very long time...

good luck guys! less than a week before the big news! =D

I have no preference between the two really.. I would be utterly delighted :) to get into either

so soon.. i'm getting nervous.. i feel like the interview was ages ago..i'm worried because mine ran a little shorter than others maybe i should have spoke more in some instances

Are any of you guys considering the States?

I know it is more expensive but it is an entry-level PharmD as opposed to the Bachelor's in Pharmacy offered in Canada..

Yeah I thought about the states for the PharmD programs but it will be too expensive for me. Also, aren't Canadian pharmacy schools starting to implement that? I heard rumours that U of T is going to do that soon.

one more day... so nervous...kind of disappointed that our winter 2008 marks won't factor into final decisions because i did really well

I am also disappointed about the final marks..

I did consider the states..but as of right now I tried to apply to as many Canadian schools as possible (Dal, Sask, Alberta, Waterloo, and MUN) before applying to the States only because of the cost and I also really want to practice in Canada. If I don't get in this year..then I will definitely apply to the states for next year. Many of the schools in the US have very different requirements than Canada though (including public speaking prerequisites, which my university did not offer).

Canada is starting to implement Pharm D programs. I recently read an article about this. If legislation is passed in Ontario allowing pharmacists to write prescriptions, diagnose certain ailments, and give immunizations, schools might move towards entry Pharm D programs. There was an article about this on Waterloo's website actually (under events and news).

I don't think I will sleep at all tonight with the big news coming tomorrow..good luck everyone :)

best of luck to everyone! i hope we all get in haha...i hope they still take close to 120 despite the fact that only 190 got interviews

Hi Danone, where did you get that information from (that 190 people got interviews)

at the writing test when ken was giving instructions and he asked if anyone had any questions someone asked him how many people applied this year and how many people ended up getting interviews.. i completely forget how many applied to be honest five hundred something or maybe 600 something.. but i do remember ken saying 190 people got interviews.. then he got into how the school has specific expectations of candidates and if someone does not meet all the criteria they won't be accepted etc etc which scared the crap right out of me just before the test started whoo! haha

but yeah i don't know at first i was stoked because i figured with 190 people i had way better odds of getting in but then again nothing says they have to take 120 people

bah

i don't even want to know to be honest i'm so scared lol

has anyone figured out how exactly the interview and the writing test are weighed?

also does anyone know what time the emails went out last year?

i think the emails went out around 10 AM last year...but their interview emails went out around 9:30 AM and ours didn't go out until after 1 PM

Julie said that Quest would be updated before we received emails..nothing yet though

Check ur quest account!! I got in!!!
What a great feeling !!!
Going to convocation in 2 hours ~~ cannot stop this excitement!!!

Last edited:
Anyone else receive their notice yet?

Yayalulala, did you get an email as well? I'm checking Quest right now and it still says "Application." Hopefully this doesn't mean I got rejected. :(

I did not receive any email.
I checked my quest account and my admission status is "admit"
Good luck everyone !

Congratulation anxious68!
See you next year !

i'm in!!! i just got my email, but nothign on quest!

I'm in as well!! Got the email! See you guys next year! :D

Hey guys,

just got an email, i got in, quest is not updated though. but doenst matter, i am in :). this was my second attempt.

does anyone need to complete the microbio pre-req before January?

congratulations to those of you who are officially members of the class of 2013! I just received my acceptance email as well and could not be happier :)