U of Waterloo pharmacy applications for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
never mind, got clarification, they are missing one of my transcripts.

my quest just got updated, it says they gave me a conditional admit and when i click on conditions, it says initiated in front of "admissions requirements met" and when i further click on it, this appears,

All Pharmacy admission requirements have been met. If you choose to take elective courses during the spring 2009 or fall 2009 terms, official final transcripts must be submitted directly from the issuing institutions to the Office of the Registrar as soon as they are available. If you complete courses at UW, the Pharmacy Admissions Committee will automatically access your record and an official transcript is not required. NOTE: It is NOT advisable to complete first-year courses from the Pharmacy curriculum. For more information, please contact the School of Pharmacy's Undergraduate Advisor at [email protected].

anyone knows what it means.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys i got in too! congratulations to you all!

hey did anyone else also apply to u of t? if i get into both schools i have no idea what to do :confused: u of t emailed me to confirm some stuff a few weeks ago which makes me suspect that i may have made the final pool... i don't know anyone who went to u of t pharm. does anyone have insights???

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still missing Chem 254. Does anyone know what the course equivalent is at University of Toronto?

Hey!

Here you go! I just copied and pasted it from what Louise Buhlman sent me a few months ago. CHM 220F, or CHM 220H, or CHM 221H, or CHMB 20H, or CHM 225Y; NOT CHM 222Y.. .

Hey I got in as well! Congratulations to those who got in.

does anyone need to complete the microbio pre-req before January?

I need to complete Microbio - it is the only prerequisite I need. Have you looked into what course at what university at what time to take?

hey did anyone else also apply to u of t? if i get into both schools i have no idea what to do :confused: u of t emailed me to confirm some stuff a few weeks ago which makes me suspect that i may have made the final pool... i don't know anyone who went to u of t pharm. does anyone have insights???

Hey Danone...just out of curiosity what stuff did they e-mail you to confirm? I am not confident myself about finding out from U of T next week. Congratulations on your U of W acceptance by the way.

Congrats everyone!

now that we are all accepted it might be nice to post how many years we have completed, our degree, if we have completed all prereqs etc etc

I just finished at Queen's in biochem! I have finished all the prereqs and I am very excited to start the pharmacy program! I am still waiting to hear back from some other pharmacy schools in Canada but I am almost positive I will be choosing Waterloo :)

I just finished a honours BSc in Phys at UofT. I am excited about Waterloo as well.

Anxious: would you still pick Waterloo even if a school like U of T or UBC accepted u?

physics or physiology? (sorry)

I actually didn't apply to UBC or U of T because I haven't written my PCATs. Also, coming from a small town I was a little unsure of living in such a big city. I did, however, apply to MUN, Sask, Alberta, and Dal. I am still waiting to hear back from the out of province schools. I will most likely choose Waterloo. I really like the idea of the co-op, the program seems very innovative, and I also like the fact that 2 years of undergrad are required (therefore pharmacy courses start right away in first year and a higher percentage of students already hold a degree).

Did you interview at UBC? I know U of T doesn't hold interviews.. When do you hear back from the other schools?

What are your own thoughts?

Anyone else apply to other schools?

I also read that Waterloo might implement a pharmD program, which would be very exciting!

I'm planning to take it either as a distance course from UW, OR at UT St. George. But thing is, I looked into the course at UT and it gives priority to students in the Genetics program.. so I highly doubt I can get a spot in that course.

I'm not sure about York, Ryerson, or UTSC.

Hey I got in as well! Congratulations to those who got in.

I need to complete Microbio - it is the only prerequisite I need. Have you looked into what course at what university at what time to take?

I just completed my Hon B.Sc degree in pharmacology at U of T. I have completed all my pre-req. Now I am waiting for the news from UBC, Alberta, and U of T.

Members don't see this ad :)
physics or physiology? (sorry)

Did you interview at UBC? I know U of T doesn't hold interviews.. When do you hear back from the other schools?

What are your own thoughts?

Anyone else apply to other schools?

All UBC interviews are next week and we hear back from U of T next week as well. I think Waterloo looks appealing because of its small class size and co-op program.

I also read that Waterloo might implement a pharmD program, which would be very exciting!

If Waterloo implements this, it will probably be a few years from now and we would still graduate with a BSpharm. U of T will implement this definitely in 2010 but not this year.

I'm planning to take it either as a distance course from UW, OR at UT St. George. But thing is, I looked into the course at UT and it gives priority to students in the Genetics program.. so I highly doubt I can get a spot in that course.

I'm not sure about York, Ryerson, or UTSC.

I never really looked into this before because I thought I had met the requirement with one of my courses - apparently not. The U of W distance course looks good. How do they do the exams? Are they online as well - that would make it easy to cheat?

hartrah - u of t asked me to confirm my composite pcat score and also my pcat number because they are "completing my final application profile" - then again i could be waaaaay off..some friends who applied never got emailed but there could have been a specific problem with my pcat papers... but i think we hear from u of t on the 27th so if i did get into both (doubt it, but possible) i'll need to start thinking about it now

i dunno i love the thought of co-op... i'm only drawn to toronto because its a big city and i like to be where the excitement is haha (not a very educational reason)

oh and i finished three years at mac in biochem and biomed science...i'm done all the pre-reqs and i'm extremely excited to start pharmacy school! honestly its been my dream since i was little..this sounds so nerdy but today was practically the best day of my life :) congrats again everyone! i'm happy for you guys

ps does anyone know how many acceptances u of waterloo sent out today?

Hey, I looked into the DE at UW ( http://de.uwaterloo.ca/how_to_apply.html)

Apparently, we have to apply before July 2, 2009. We have to go through the whole OUAC thing again. But the problem is, I'm not sure which category we belong to - Post Degree (I finished my degree in Pharmacology at UT St. George).

I'm planning to email Louise about it.. I'm not sure if we have to pay $75 application fee + send in transcript again!

By the way, I think it's a written exam, but we submit the assignments through email (it's 40% assignments, 60% exam)

I never really looked into this before because I thought I had met the requirement with one of my courses - apparently not. The U of W distance course looks good. How do they do the exams? Are they online as well - that would make it easy to cheat?

I actually read that if Waterloo implements pharmD (in the next few years) they would ensure upgrading courses are available to all current and previous pharmacy students (in order to obtain pharmD), which would be great!

All UBC interviews are next week and we hear back from U of T next week as well. I think Waterloo looks appealing because of its small class size and co-op program.

If Waterloo implements this, it will probably be a few years from now and we would still graduate with a BSpharm. U of T will implement this definitely in 2010 but not this year.

Yeh I did, from 519-888-4567. I checked and it's a # from UW... I was asleep though so I didn't pick up :p

Also, I read on last years forum that they made calls to ask if students had any questions and follow up on any missing prereqs. :)

Oh maybe that was it.
I also applied to UT but I don't think my PCAT scores were that exceptionial, so I did accept the offer yesterday.

Maybe they called to follow up on my missing pre-req then!

Hey, I looked into the DE at UW ( http://de.uwaterloo.ca/how_to_apply.html)

Apparently, we have to apply before July 2, 2009. We have to go through the whole OUAC thing again. But the problem is, I'm not sure which category we belong to - Post Degree (I finished my degree in Pharmacology at UT St. George).

I'm planning to email Louise about it.. I'm not sure if we have to pay $75 application fee + send in transcript again!

By the way, I think it's a written exam, but we submit the assignments through email (it's 40% assignments, 60% exam)
let me know what Louise says. I will e-mail her as well. I doubt we have to re-apply when we have an admissions for Jan 2010 but you may be right. Apparently the course Bio 240 (originally) has become a first year course.

Ken potvin, the director of admissions, had phoned and left a message. Apparently he said that there was a facebook group already created for the class of 2013 but I searched facebook and could not find it. Did you guys get messages from Ken as well or from someone else?

anxious68 is right about the group, thats the one ken was talking about. hope to see everyone there.

Isn't that facebook group for the entering class before us? Have any of you guys thought of other career choices?

The facebook group is for us. It says class of "2013." Also, if you read the introduction it says its a place for entering students and unsure applicants to talk to current students (that's why there are so many members of the 2012 class).

Isn't that facebook group for the entering class before us? Have any of you guys thought of other career choices?

Does anybody know if its possible to take Chemistry 254 (Thermodynamics) and Stats 202 via distance ed. and from which universities?

thanks for the facebook link anxious.. i couldn't find the group when i initially tried

has anyone picked waterloo for sure yet

I have, mostly because I have lost faith in UT.

thanks for the facebook link anxious.. i couldn't find the group when i initially tried

I have too, i applied last year at UT but not this year. Really disappointed with their "I couldnt care less" attitude towards students, well at least towards me.

I have looked into apartments actually. I don't know anyone at waterloo. A few suggestions were made on the facebook group page. I noticed there is only a 100$ difference between a one bedroom and two bedroom. A one bedroom seems to be between 750 - 900 dollars..but a two bedroom seems to only be $950 - $1000 (which makes much more sense). There are a couple of apartment buildings near the pharmacy building (alexandrian and I forget the name of the other right now).

Have any you of guys looked into apartments yet? And whether you will be living on your own or getting a roommate? It seems one bedroom apartments are almost the same price as a two bedroom

for those of you who you like myself who have not accepted their offer and are still waiting to hear from U of T...which school are you leaning towards? After hearing from U of T this Friday, we have only 3 days to decide between the two schools, so I'm trying to make my decision now going on the assumption that I've gotten into both. I've thought of some Pros and Cons for both sides but I just can't choose....for those of you who already have your heart set on one or the other....please share.

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Asumming I get into both, I am still leaning towards Waterloo. I find the environment less competitive and feel that I will be able to stand out academically at Waterloo more that I would in the heavily competitive UofT environment.

Many people on the Waterloo waitlist will be getting a spot in the class as people start accepting U of T offers - so that will be great news for anyone on the waitlist.

Anxious: thanks for the facebook link.

Here are some of my reasons for choosing Waterloo:

- small class size
- co-op opportunity
- school year round (guaranteed four placements so no longer need to worry about summer jobs)
- brand new pharmacy building
- very innovative
- many many more requirements - must have a letter of ref from a pharmacist, nurse, or doctor, they care about ECs, interview, writing test
- I really like the fact that 2 years of undergrad are required - this means that pharmacy courses start right away in first year - also, having completed my degree it is nice to know that more than 50% of the class will also have completed one or more degrees
- genuine care for students (each student receives a phone call congratulating them once accepted)
- emphasis on taking business courses and volunteering during four years (to produce more well rounded students)
- starting in January gives more time to save money

That's all I can think of for now...

Also, I don't think there is a waitlist for Waterloo. Each student is accepted on an individual basis. So far the class has never had 120 people because the program has not yet chosen to fill all 120 positions available.

I think I'm leaning towards Waterloo for a number of reasons... I think the opportunity for Co-op is too good to pass up and I think that Co-op will enable me to see the depth and full potential of a pharmacy degree.. I went to the Pharmacy open house back in April? ( I think or may) and talked to a few students there, and also at the interviews, and some of them had amazing jobs... one worked for health canada (government jobs are legit haha) and another student worked at a hospital and actually helped to serve on various committees there

Also i think that Co-op will help us to build contacts that could be very helpful in the future to find jobs, pursue a variety of career opportunities, etc (not that pharmacists have to worry about finding jobs, but still Co-op could help you find the right job for you to be happy)

Also I really appreciate that Waterloo took the time to actually run interviews and get to know candidates and hold an open house for the community.. It was nice to see that kind of effort.. and I also like the smaller class size, I'm used to only having 100 people in a class, and I think smaller numbers helps everyone to become friends much faster

The only reason I have for choosing U of T is that its more well-known at the moment and more prestigious than Waterloo, but I think that with time that will change

Have any you of guys looked into apartments yet? And whether you will be living on your own or getting a roommate? It seems one bedroom apartments are almost the same price as a two bedroom

Also.. I want to find an apartment... and I'd love a room mate but i don't know anyone which is a problem haha but i think at this point if i choose waterloo (which i think i will) I've definately ruled out residence for living

Have you guys looked into where the Pharmacy building is?

It's actually in between the UW campus and Kitchener! I wanted to live in the campus at first, but after knowing that it takes 1 hr to walk to the pharmacy building (or take the bus which takes 10 min), I'm starting to consider off campus housing....

Also.. I want to find an apartment... and I'd love a room mate but i don't know anyone which is a problem haha but i think at this point if i choose waterloo (which i think i will) I've definately ruled out residence for living

I am definitely considering off campus housing. I am just unsure what to do...I noticed that one bedroom apartments are quite expensive compared to two bedroom, however I don't know anyone in Waterloo. I think I need to look into things a little more..I have been reading the facebook group for some ideas!

Yeah, living in campus and commute each day can be painful, on the other hand, you do not need to negotiate lease terms with the landlord (most apartment require minimum 1 yr lease), and you don't need to buy furnitures (beds, desks.... etc) which can be a huge burden if you are moving around for co-op.

That's been said, I still prefer off-campus housing ~

Just wondering.. It's a bit early, but would anyone here be interested in having another pharmacy student as a roommate? I've started to look into a few apartments and it seems that it would be more practical to have a roommate considering that a 2 bedroom is only slightly more expensive than a 1 bedroom.

yup. i've been looking and i would be interested in having a roomate as well. There are a lot of really nice apartments close to the school and cost wise it makes sense.